PDA

View Full Version : Violence RPG, ever played it?

GoblinGilmartin
2014-12-29, 11:08 PM
After one of my day-off delves into the depths of the decidedly dense pages of TVTropes, I learned about a rather interesting game called Violence (www.costik.com/Violence%20RPG1.pdf).

It's supposedly a satire of the violence inherent in 90's era D&D, GTA, MMOs, and other avenues of gaming. Considered unplayable, I thought it was still a rather interesting concept. It insults you at every turn for being the sick, twisted, fat, smelly nerd that would play a game like that.

Unplayable though it may be, I wonder, have any of you out there tried to play it? I figure the results would be pretty entertaining, if you weren't totally bummed out by the subject matter...

asnys
2014-12-30, 12:34 AM
I've never played it, but I have read through it before. Mechanically, it looks interesting; it might even be worth adapting the system to something less... Deliberately awful.

That said, I'm pretty sure they never really sold Violence! Experience Points, so once the DM runs out of the ten printed in the rulebook, you're out of luck.

GoblinGilmartin
2014-12-30, 01:13 AM
I've never played it, but I have read through it before. Mechanically, it looks interesting; it might even be worth adapting the system to something less... Deliberately awful.

That said, I'm pretty sure they never really sold Violence! Experience Points, so once the DM runs out of the ten printed in the rulebook, you're out of luck.

I do like the thought of playing as reprehensible thugs barging into people's homes and taking their stuff. but I don't know if it would be fun to play in practice.

Knaight
2014-12-30, 09:45 AM
I do like the thought of playing as reprehensible thugs barging into people's homes and taking their stuff. but I don't know if it would be fun to play in practice.

Clearly it worked for a number of D&D campaigns - that's the entire point of Violence after all.