PDA

View Full Version : The Mad King's Banquet (5E IC)

Pinnacle
2014-12-29, 11:38 PM
Recruiting Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?384278-Some-D-amp-D-5e-maybe-DM-amp-Players-needed)
OoC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389128-The-Mad-King-s-Banquet-%285E-OoC%29)
Dice Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?390416-5E-Mad-King-s-Banquet-Dice-Thread)

Cast List:

Player
Character
Class
Race

Rokku
Kyla the Red (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=65065)
Sorcercer
Human

Gwendol
Varis Liadon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=65105)
Ranger
Wood Elf

Wafflelord
Broch Graniteberm (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=61490)
Paladin
Dwarf

Irish Musician
Gruum Wildeyes (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=65994)
Barbarian
Half-Orc

Isyndel
Kelirath Advien (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=67961)
Cleric of Kord
Human

Foodle
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632)
Rogue
Gnome

Infernally Clay
Reyn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=69093)
Cleric of Olidammara
Half-Elf

Given the adventurers' heroics during the recent battle in Seaquen, it probably wasn't any surprise that they attracted a few stares and whispers as they headed towards their appointment with Headmaster Simeon Gohanach. The office was in the main tower at the center of the campus.
It was on the fifth floor of the tower, and dominated it taking up over a quarter of the entire floor. Of course, Simeon did have living quarters there as well as his academic materials. In the current climate there were guards at Simeon's door, four soldiers with weapons and armor and four mages in robes. They stood aside for the party, of course; they did have an appointment.

At the far side of the office was Simeon's desk stacked with papers of all kinds. There were several wooden chairs in front of it for students to sit in. On the left side of the office was a curtain hiding Simeon's living space from view.
On the right side was the conference space, consisting of a number of comfortable couches arranged to that they faced each other relatively well.

Kiernan Stekart, Simeon's dwarven right-hand man, sat on one of these. Simeon himself was behind Kiernan, not seated but leaning on the back of the couch.

To their right was Katrina, lounging on her couch and looking quite comfortable with taking up the entire thing by herself, her boots lying on the floor next to her. It wasn't entirely clear how she had managed to convince Simeon that she was an able adviser, but apparently she had.
Across from Katrina, Crystin Ja-Nafeel sat very stiffly with her head down and taking up as little space as possible, as was her habit. She did look up and smile warmly as the adventurers entered the room. Frankly, she probably hadn't been invited, but she tended to show up wherever the party was in Seaquen and Simeon did not object to her presence.
Finally, next to Crystin was a man the adventurers had never seen. He was a richly dressed half-elf, and he sat nearly as neatly as his couchmate--although without the attempt to appear very small.

Katrina sat straight up when she saw the group enter and waved jovially. "There you are!" she said with a big smile, "You're late!"

"They're not," said Crystin simply, without looking up at Katrina.
"Oh. Well, who pays attention to the time anyway?"
The fiery sorceress motioned towards the empty seats next to Kiernan, next to the half-elf, and in the unoccupied couches--although not to the other end of her own. "Come on, come on," she said, "take a seat! Simeon's got a job that needs doin', and it sounds real fun. I told him I think you guys are perfect for this one, and I think you're gonna love it!"

Varis, Kelirath, Zed, and Reyn all noticed one person in particular watching them as they had reached the tower.
A young human male who was apparently a Lyceum student. No older than 16, with straw-colored hair and expensive clothes. He had seemed unable to keep his nervous gaze off of the adventurers and apparently wasn't paying any attention to the instructor that had been speaking to a group.

Irish Musician
2014-12-30, 01:23 AM
Gruum Wildeyes (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=65994), Half-Orc Barbarian
Gruum walked with the others, at the back, as was his normal place. If he walked in front of the others, they usually couldn't see in front of him and he usually didn't know where he was going, so to the back of the group he goes. Being a very large person, Gruum tended to feel fairly out of place where ever he went, so he was used to people staring at him. So when the eyes turned to the group, Gruum just kept right on walking. He tended to feel a little uncomfortable when it came to authorities, so even though he could sit on any one of them and crush them with his butt...he walked into the room very awkwardly. He saw the myriad of people sitting around the room and he wasn't quite sure what to do with himself. He smiled when Katrina starts talking, she was pretty, and sat down in a seat when she offered. Gruum sat down a little hard and the chair buckled under him. It made a loud groan and creak, and it collapsed under him and broke into quite a few pieces. He scrambled up and grunted a small, "sorry", and decided to stand at the back of the room, where he couldn't do anymore damage....looking fairly embarrassed.

Foodle
2014-12-30, 02:03 AM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17
Zed walks into the room, his pace slowing as he gazes around at the furnishings and the shear size of the place in wonder. He grew up sharing a room with three other children and even when he was older his room wasn't even a tenth the size of this massive chamber and he was still constantly amazed that anyone could need so much space, what did they do with it all?

He cringes at the sound of Katrina's voice, he didn't much like being around her. Her voice grated on his ears and she was too excitable and just plain loud for his liking.

His attention back to the meeting at hand, the older gnome makes his way over to the couch and hops up settling into place next to Crystin, his feet dangling off the edge. "Salutations Crystin, you look well," he says quietly, touching her elbow to get her attention and giving her a friendly smile. This human was much preferable company, such a shame about her father though.

Gwendol
2014-12-30, 04:18 AM
Varis walks with a light spring in his step, typical for his kind, with a need to check his pace ever so often as not to get too far ahead.
Passing the students he notices the blond boy looking at them and decides to meet his gaze and offer a quick smile.
In the study takes in the view, noticing Katrina has begun to undress herself and wondering what kind of human social norm she's breaking this time.
He gives all assembled a quick greeting, dwelling just a little longer when getting to the half-breed.
"I'm Varis Liadon, of the wooden realms. I have a feeling you have a stake in whatever we are about to be asked to do?"
The elf smiles a little before find an unoccupied seat, setting down his bow beside him.

Infernally Clay
2014-12-30, 10:07 AM
"A... fun job? That's as much an oxymoron as handsome Orc," Reyn said, bemused by Katrina's energy. Offering a quick "no offence" to Gruum on account of his heritage, she continued, "Does it involve storming a keep, slaying a dragon and bedding a princess? I haven't done anything like that in months."

Claiming an entire couch as her own, Reyn relaxed, stretched her legs dramatically and waited for the details. It was nice, this place. Spacious. She wouldn't have minded claiming something like this herself, in fact. Maybe she would, one day, if it took her fancy.

Pinnacle
2015-01-01, 09:59 PM
When Gruum's seat broke, Simeon looked surprised but quickly tried to recover. "Oh, don't worry about that," he said, "That one was... already damaged. I'd been meaning to repair it. I don't have the right spell readied at the moment, but I'll take care of it later."
Katrina snickered.

"Thank you Master Stormpike," said Crystin, blushing slightly as Zed sat beside her, "and you as well."

"Me, a stake?" said the half-elf, "I'd say no, not particularly. I am merely here to lend my aid."

"This is Balam Batson," said Simeon, indicating the man. "He's a trained diplomat, and he's actually the one who I hope will perform this task, which will most likely be very boring if all goes according to plan. I'm afraid, Ms Reyn, there should be no storming, no dragons, and no princ... Actually yes, if all went according to plan there would be princesses. As to whether they'd bed you, I can offer no insight.
"However, all of the princesses are recently deceased and I'm afraid I can't expect things are going to go according to plan.
Simeon looked at each of the assembled adventurers and frowned. "That is, after all, why I'm hoping for your assistance in this matter."

Isyndel
2015-01-01, 11:26 PM
Kelirath walked into the room with a measured stride before standing to the side and slipping into a not-quite-correct parade rest stance that he'd learned from a soldier friend once. It definitely didn't make him look any better, but it made him feel a bit more confident before heading out into the unknown.

"The life of an adventurer is never boring, I guess. Unless you're one of those types that spends their whole life poking around in caves-I heard that can be fairly boring. This assignment wouldn't involve any of those, would it?"

Foodle
2015-01-02, 02:52 AM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17Zed leaned forward on the couch and looked at the broken mess Gruum had made of the chair. Humans just didn't make things with any consideration to the proportions of other races he thought as his legs hung off the edge of the couch. Looking between Gruum and the broken pieces for a second, he concluded that the half-orc wasn't going to clean up his mess, and sighing, decided the task fell to him.
While the others were talking and sorting out their next task, Zed quietly chanted a couple of words under his breath and conjured up a translucent hand amid the piece of broken chair. Using that hand he begins to collect and stack all the pieces into a tidy little pile out of the way behind one of the couches.

Satisfied with his work he straightens back up and shuffles back on the couch so he could lean against the back rest. Touching a piece of copper wire wrapped around one of the straps of his armor, he casts another cantrip to let him quietly inform Gruum, <"If you make a mess in someone else's home, it's polite to clean it up."> He wasn't quite sure where the boy was raised, but he took it upon himself to teach him, and anyone, where and when he could.

Casting Mage Hand to clean up the chair and then Message to quietly speak to Gruum.

WaffleLord
2015-01-02, 03:17 AM
Broch

Walking in with measured, but small, steps, the paladin entered the room with chin raised and hands on hips. He gave a silent salute to those in the room, including a grinning wink to Kiernan. His road was not hard but long. A dusty mouth in need of drink does not waste words when a gesture will do.

He moved to sit on the comfortable sofa but halted as Reyn spread out, taking the entire thing. Shaking his head with a grin, he stood near her feet, arms crossed, listening to Simeon talk while scanning the room for possible libations.

Coughing once to loosen his jaw, his smacked his mouth and said, "We are to be brother Batson's back-up, yes? Should the tongue fail, the hammer shall fall? Where are we taking our 'boring' trip and who is our Plan B for?"

Irish Musician
2015-01-02, 09:21 AM
Gruum Wildeyes (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=65994), Half-Orc Barbarian
Gruum tried to follow the conversation, but not being one that picks up subtleties very easily, he got lost as to what they were saying. He was trying to get back into the conversation when a voice entered his mind, telling him that he should have cleaned up the mess. Of course, Gruum was not accustomed to having strange, magical voices in his head so when the voice spoke, it startled him a bit. Slipping into orcish, and saying out loud, <"I didn't mean to! It broke on its own....I just sat down. I was going to clean it up, I was just waiting!"> As he spoke, the orc turned around and around, trying to figure out who was whispering in his ear, coming exceeding close to breaking a few vases on some shelves near him as he spun around.

Gwendol
2015-01-03, 04:09 AM
"Greetings Batson, please tell us more about what you hope to acheive? And echoing others, what will happen should things not go as expected?"

Varis grins and nods at the dwarf's likely correct assessment.

Foodle
2015-01-03, 03:20 PM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17Zed's eyes open in worry at Gruum's outburst, he didn't speak Orcish but could tell by the panicked tone that he needed to do something to calm the big guy down before anything else got broken. So much for subtlety.

Quickly scooting off the couch and across to Gruum's side he taps at the tall half-orc's leg, "Gruum, Gruum. Down here, it's just me!" he says softly trying to calm him down. "It was just some magic to speak quietly across a distance. It's really quite a handy spell, but i must remember to warn people about it in the future."

Irish Musician
2015-01-03, 03:56 PM
Gruum spins around to see the gnome by his knees, "Oh. Wasn't sure who talked to me....." and he quickly grew quite again. Luckily, the vases were still intact when he did.

Rokku
2015-01-03, 07:49 PM
Kyla the Red swept into the room like a backdraft, filling the space with her presence and turning up the heat more than a few degrees. Her red silk dress rustled only slightly as she moved, and its open back proudly displayed ruby red dragon scales spreading across ivory white skin.

"So we're to support a diplomat?" she asked as she crossed the room. She stopped at the couch Katrina was stretched out on and sighed.

"Honestly Kat, you could show some decorum," she said, before nonchalantly shoving the other sorceress' legs out of the way and taking a seat.

"I suspect you primarily desire our involvement to protect Mr. Batsom's person from harm," says Kyla, "but I do have some experience in negotiations myself and would be delighted to offer my assistance. Assuming, of course, that you're not sending us to negotiate with the Ragesians."

Pinnacle
2015-01-03, 11:11 PM
Kiernan looked somewhat annoyed at the continued drama over the broken chair, and tapped his foot impatiently. He didn't say anything, though, as that conversation seemed to wind down.

"Honestly Kat, you could show some decorum," she said, before nonchalantly shoving the other sorceress' legs out of the way and taking a seat.

"But whyyyy?" said Katrina in a mock whiny voice, although she was grinning as she shoved her feet back into her boots.

"You're all essentially correct," said Balan, "The primary reason I'd like your group to be my traveling party is to ensure that I actually arrive in Bresk. That doesn't mean I'd refuse your other assistance; there are likely to be multiple angles to approach in this situation."

"The problem itself is simple enough," said Simeon, "After the failed magical attack on Seaquen--"

"Good work on that one, by the way," Balan interjected.

"That's a bit of an understatement," said Katrina, laughing.

"We all owe them our lives," said Crystin softly.

"After that failed attack," Simeon continued, "it seems that Supreme Inquisitor Leska--or Empress Leska, if you prefer--is taking a more... brute force approach. She's marching an army through Dassen and towards us. They have to move through a mountain pass to get into Dassen, so they can't do it with the current snow. Even once that's cleared, the position would be defensible for Dassen but King Steppengard has signed a non-aggression pact and has agreed to allow them to pass unmolested in exchange for a guarantee that they won't attack Dassen. We'd like him to change his mind, and we've already sent an envoy to request an audience.
"Now, Seaquen is technically a part of Dassen so one would think the king would consider it his duty to protect us--"

Balan cleared his throat and interrupted again. "We're within the border, but we've never exactly paid fealty. Or taxes. Seaquen's always been essentially an independent state within Dassen's borders. If anything, I'd think the king might dislike that.
"But even if we were an entirely foreign stat, it's still in Dassen's best interest not to do this. I think if we pledge our magical support to the king in this war, and play to his ego about allowing the Ragesians to bully him, I think we have a shot and convincing him to reconsider.
"As for anticipated complications... well, the Regesians already have an envoy in Bresk. I wouldn't put it past them to cause trouble."

Irish Musician
2015-01-04, 09:40 AM
Gruum tried to listen to the whole political talk for as long as he could, but he just didn't follow it and got bored easily. So naturally he started looking around the room, at the people around him, and was only half listening to what was being said. Though, when the notion of war came up, his mind snapped back into the conversation. War was something he was good at, war he could do. "If I can help protect Balan, I will. If I am needed to fight, I will. These are the things I am good at. These are the things I was trained for. You stay close to me. It is hard to move me." Gruum tended to talk is short sentences, and his cadence was not overly complicated. His speech was straight-forward and there wasn't much subtly to his words, he said what he meant. So when he stopped talking, the group almost felt as though there was something else that he was going to say....but it never did reach their ears.

Gwendol
2015-01-04, 05:05 PM
Varis pondered the information for a moment, while noting the orc finally seeming to settle down after the incident with the chair. What the gnome was up doing and talking about he couldn't quite make out, having his attention directed elsewhere (to the matter at hand, actually).
What do we know of King Steppengard, have any of you met him before, and if so, what kind of a man is he? Also, should things go south, either at the hands of the Ragesian envoy, or the King himself decides to stick with his previous agreement, what then? Head to the pass and work to stop the army there?

Pinnacle
2015-01-04, 07:46 PM
"Thank you, Gruum," said Balan with a smile.

"Varis, right? To answer your questions... I think a little background is useful here. I'm sure some of you are already familiar wit Dassen, so please bear with me a moment.
"Dassen was a nation consisting of eight united lands. Each had its own ruling family, but the monarch of the nation as a whole was determined by a potent artifact called the Book of Eight Lands which contained up-to-date lists of the noble families and named the most 'worthy' individual among them. Eventually, the Book became a kind of checklist of whom to have killed to get one's own favored candidate to the top of the list. Assassinations became common, and then there was civil war.
"Steppengard united the nations under a single crown. He got all of the rulers of the eight lands to agree to a new government system. The royal family of Dassen is now distinct from the eight ruling families of the lands. Steppengard has his own holding consisting of a comparatively small area taken from several of the eight. Dassen as a whole is now ruled by a council, not a king or queen; each of the ruling nobles has one vote, and the king's vote counts as, if I'm not mistaken, three. The Book of Eight Lands was retained--it does have other magical powers that are useful to him--but the named worthy one is no longer to be automatically king or queen. That title is to pass to pass to the current monarch's eldest child, as with other monarchies.

"To that end, King Steppengard made a point of having, well, an extraordinarily large family. He had, I believe, 18 children."

Balan cleared his throat and frowned. "Simeon mentioned that all of the princesses are dead. As to what kind of a man Steppengard is at the moment, that is difficult to predict. We have learned that recently--we believe last night--Steppengard's eldest children were at a party where every attendant was cut to ribbons by an unknown attacker. The rest of his children, and his wife, were poisoned at their dinner. Steppengard escaped the assassination attempt because he had been called away as their dinner was served, and he didn't take a drink before he left. His entire family is dead, and that's really the only fact we know.
"As to another approach if Steppengard can't be convinced, Dassen being ruled by council provides our answer there--we don't have to convince the king to change the policy. It's the simplest way, but we can also convince a sufficient majority of the lords and ladies or their proxies."

Foodle
2015-01-04, 08:07 PM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17"But if Steppengard were to become victim to an 'assassin' or other foul plot," Zed says making little quotation marks with his fingers as he paces back over to the couch. "There is no guarantee that the eight lords wouldn't take the fall of the king as a sign to usher in a new regime. With their particular house sitting on the throne," he says climbing back to his seat next to Crystin.

"Coincidentally, something that would work completely in Inquisitor Leska's favour. The snows melt and the passes re-open, allowing them to march forward only to find a country divided and weakened by civil war, ripe for the taking. After a small stopover securing Dassen they'd once again be heading this way," he says gesturing enthusiastically with his hands as he talks.

Pausing for a moment he settles back into the couch then adds. "I don't think it would be in Seaquen's, or Dassen's best interests that the king be removed."

Pinnacle
2015-01-04, 08:21 PM
"Agreed," said Kiernan, "Steppengard is definitely a stabilizing force, and given time I'm sure he'll have more heirs, whether he remarries or adopts them, or even just appoints someone as successor. I don't think further assassination attempts are an immediate concern, because I'm sure he's increased his security precautions. Which is probably just going to complicate things for us."

"Y'know," said Katrina, "Zed's right that a successful assassination would have aided Leska. I wouldn't put it past her to have arranged it. Or if not her directly, someone down her chain of command."

"That is... not impossible," conceded Kiernan.

Isyndel
2015-01-04, 10:41 PM
"Let's be off, then"Kelirath says as he opens the door and lets the rest of the party out.
If there are more questions, he'll listen to them, and when they're finished he'll do the above.

Gwendol
2015-01-05, 03:22 AM
"His entire family killed?! That could drive anyone mad with grief, at least temporary. Dassen is likely balancing on the brink of a chasm right now, and we should have been there yesterday! I agree, let's not tarry."
Varis gets back up on his feet and grabs his bow.
"Any final words of advice?"

Infernally Clay
2015-01-06, 07:25 AM
"I don't see a problem. Getting you to Bresk will be easy enough, army on our tail or no," Reyn said simply, "As for the king, we can convince him of the intelligent course of action one way or another."

Sighing, Reyn finally stood up, "It's just a shame all Steppengard's children are dead. Some of them were quite attractive. He's not like to be in a conversational mood, but some evidence that Leska ordered the assassins might change that. Nothing gets a grieving man talking like the possibility of revenge. While you're treating with him, perhaps we can entertain ourselves with a little investigation. Even if Leska or her underlings didn't order the hit, with the right people and a little coercion, we should at least be able to find out who did."

Pinnacle
2015-01-06, 04:53 PM
"You're unlikely to encounter Ragesian soldiers on your way there," said Katrina, "They'll mostly be heading into Dassen from the opposite direction. I have heard rumors that creatures we wouldn't normally see around here are migrating due to the, er, odd weather. Yetis, winter wolves--someone said a white dragon, but I don't buy that one. So... Be prepared for that sort of thing."

" I'm sorry," said Balan, standing up from his seat, "I was expecting you to want some time to prepare. I've arranged for a sleigh and horses, but they're not supposed to be ready until tomorrow morning. I may be able to move it up, if you'd like. Of course, I'm no adventurer, or even a seasoned traveler; if you've another suggestion for transport, I'll listen."

Foodle
2015-01-06, 10:43 PM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17Zed lifts up a finger and opens his mouth to mention teleportation, then snaps his mouth shut and lowers his hand when he remembers mention that that particular method of transport was quite painful of late. Frowning in thought he tries to think of something that might need to do.

"The school wouldn't happen to have any winter cloaks spare we could borrow?" he asks when the only thing he could think of was the possibility of being cold. "Maybe some gloves?" He had spells to do the delicate work that numb fingers would hinder, but being nice and cosy was always a good thing and the last thing he wanted was frostbite.

He looks out the window for a second and adds, "Snowshoes?" with a sheepish smile at having asked for so many things. But it was better to always be prepared than to have their sleigh broken and to try walk through the snow without any of the things he'd requested.

Gwendol
2015-01-07, 03:27 AM
"Aye, winter gear would be much appreciated. I will be able to provide some game if needed, and will keep us safe during the journey. We should gather supplies and gear immediately and try to be on our way as soon as we can. "

Varis looked to the others for consent before bounding down the stairs to start gather the needed supplies.

Pinnacle
2015-01-07, 03:03 PM
"I'm afraid we don't provide those for out students," said Simeon, "so we don't have any kind of stock of them... I'm sure you could get some in town?"

"The snow shoes I have," said Balan, "and the heavy cloaks I can get. Also, I do have some small talent for magic--providing a safe shelter for the night is something I can do... and I have a heavy canvas tent just in case.
"Any other supplies you need I may have overlooked? I have food and water. Mostly dried rations, which I can't say I care for but they're practical. And if you can provide fresh game, they're emergency supplies."

"If you have any further questions, frankly Balan is the one you should direct them to," said Simeon with a nod towards the half-elf, "So I suppose all that's left for me to say is farewell, good luck, and safe journey."

"I know you can do it," said Katrina and Crystin simultaneously. The way they said it was, of course, quite different--Katrina, boisterous with her fist in the air and a wide grin, and Crystin soft but strong with her hands folded and a small, confident smile.

As the party left the tower, they encountered a young human. He was the same one that several of them had spotted watching them. He took a deep breath before speaking nervously. "E-excuse me," he said, "but can I--can I speak to you? Just for a moment?"

Don't forget, the PCs are unaffected by mundane cold weather due to Indomitability's boon.
Now, if they don't trust that to never fail, or they're not used to it and didn't consider it, or they don't want everybody to know about that, those are all perfectly reasonable reasons to want to have cold weather gear.

Irish Musician
2015-01-07, 04:57 PM
Gruum make a small grunt, "We do not need to worry about food. I shall provide whatever we need. As long as the land provides, I provide." He gives a nod, as though saying that was the end of it, and walked out of the room with the others. As the young human stepped up to the, Gruum immediately reached for his sword and step just to the side of, but in front of, Balan, "Speak, little one."

Also, due to my Outlander Background: You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

And pretty much whenever someone approaches the group, Gruum will be readying an action to jump in front of or move in the spot of Balan. In case anyone decides to try anything violent.

Gwendol
2015-01-08, 08:25 AM
"I noticed you as we entered the tower, young man. Have no fear and speak your mind. We're listening. " Varis replied in a friendly manner.

Rokku
2015-01-08, 10:54 AM
The others having already spoken, Kelda simply smiles and beckons the young man over with a well-manicured nail.

Isyndel
2015-01-08, 12:52 PM
Kelirath's eyes turn to a shade of blue as he smiles at the other human.

Thaumaturgy for the eyes.

Pinnacle
2015-01-08, 03:07 PM
"Th-thank you," the boy said. He nodded slightly, as though unsure whether he should bow. He turned red and added "And I'm sorry for.. watching you, I just, um, I wanted to... I've heard a rumor the headmaster was asking you to travel to Dassen, and..."

He took a breath, and spoke a bit more calmly (although rather quickly). "My name is Jineer Bremman. My father is Proxy Jinis Bremman of Duke Gallo."

"Proxy?" said Balan. He looked at the adventurers. "Since Dassen's lords and ladies have their own lands to rule, they can't sit personally on the ruling council all of the time. When they're not in Bresk, each has a proxy appointed to fill his or her seat. Gallo's proxy is potentially a very useful ally."

"Yes, yes, my father can help you!" said Jineer excitedly, "I--I know this is something beneath the Saviors of Seaquen to ask, but I haven't heard from my father in some time, and I have this bad feeling, and with the Burning Sky preventing teleportation and the weather hindering travel there are no couriers..."
He held out a scroll, tied with string but not sealed. "If you're going anywhere near Bresk, could you take this to my father? Please? I can pay you! But not very much I'm afraid..."

Crystin came out of the door of the Lyceum's tower then, and looked curiously at Jineer. Her eyes flashed a pale blue and she looked slightly dazed--how she looked when she had one of her visions. "Your father," she said to Jineer pleasantly, "will be caged by Madness."

Jineer looked somewhat distraught, but mostly confused. "Miss, I--I have no idea what that means."
"I'm so sorry," said Crystin, returning to her usual appearance and sounding very sincerely apologetic, "I'm afraid I don't either."

Irish Musician
2015-01-08, 03:29 PM
When Gruum sees the boy is no threat, he backs off some. After hearing the request Gruum nods, "I have no problem with it. But I am not the one to make the call. I am here to protect, not to decide." When Crystin comes out, and speaks one of her future-thoughts that Gruum never understands, he actually answers this one, "Cages can be broken. And people can be freed."

Foodle
2015-01-08, 05:45 PM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17Zed was largely uninterested in the noble child, he was looking forward to the trip ahead and was eager to quietly test the limits of their cold protection. He was also hoping to bump into some of the creatures Katrina mentioned had been sighted in the wilderness of late, so he could add some notes about them to his book. He'd never had the chance to examine a dragon before, or a yeti for that matter, and was interested to determining their various skeletal weaknesses.

Your father will be caged by madness. Zed gave Crystin a puzzled look, some of the people back at the observatory would be quite interested in talking to her and learning more of these foretellings that came upon her. Perhaps he'd suggest a trip north after all this other chaos was over.

WaffleLord
2015-01-08, 09:02 PM
Broch

"Beneath us, indeed," thought the dwarf. "We have not faced death and beyond to be lowly messengers. What a waste of our time." He had begun to pass by the boy without a glance until Crystin's voice stopped him in his tracks. Experience taught him to listen when Crystin's visions spoke. "If it is important enough for the Gods to speak to us through a seer, it is wise to listen, even if not understanding."

"Young Bremman," he said aloud turning towards the boy with outstretched arms, "we shall carry your missive without charge. In these times of troubles, family is more important than ever. I can think of no greater task we could perform." He took the scroll and tucked it officiously into his belt. "We shall see it safely to Proxy Bremman..." "...whether he be mad or not we shall find."

Infernally Clay
2015-01-09, 06:00 PM
"Caged by madness, eh?" Reyn mused, "Now I must meet this man."

Pinnacle
2015-01-09, 06:13 PM
"Th-thank you!" said Jineer, doing another of his awkwa half-bows but smiling widely.

He stood awkwardly for a few moments, before saying again "Thank you. I suppose... suppose I should leave you be then. Thank you again."

Unless the party stopped him to say something else, he turned and jogged toward his class group which had moved on without him.

"Oh," said Crystin, "I thought I had upset him, but I guess you made him happy enough to counter it. I suppose he doesn't know about my visions, so perhaps he just thought I'm strange..."

Gwendol
2015-01-11, 07:31 AM
"Or maybe he just didn't understand what you said. He seemed a bit agitated... Can someone scan the scroll for magic? We should do the same on the sled: to make sure we aren't being tracked or scryed upon. "
Varis notes as he follows the retreating youth.

Isyndel
2015-01-11, 05:25 PM
"Not a problem!"
"That's a really good idea, Varis. I'm not sure I can do that right now, though...perhaps someone else can?"

Pinnacle
2015-01-11, 10:45 PM
"Oh," said Balan, sounding pleased with himself, "I can actually help with that!"
He hummed a few notes with a strange resonance to them, and waved a hand over the parchment. "Hm. No, nothing magical about it that I can sense. It seems to be just an ordinary, mundane letter."

He took a step away. "If you still wanted to get on the road today, I should probably work on getting our transport... I can probably have it ready in about an hour. Or is that too soon?"

Unless one of the adventurers objected, he nodded and said "Then meet me then at Sternbrook's stable on the north road of town."

Gwendol
2015-01-12, 04:37 AM
Considering the recent development and the demise of the royal family I would like to get going as quickly as possible. Varis said, looking forward to get on the road.

Irish Musician
2015-01-12, 11:54 AM
Gruum kept quiet as the magic started. He didn't tend to have much time for all that magicy stuff, so he just kept his eyes out for anything unusual.

Perception [roll0]

Foodle
2015-01-12, 01:51 PM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17Awful suspicious of a mere letter, Zed thought as the magic was cast before turning away as his stomach rumbled.

"I think i may go make the most of the hour and stuff myself with delicious hot food before we're subjected to hastily made meals and trail rations on the rest of our journey," the gnome says beginning to move off in the direction he remembered smelling some fantastic roast meat the other day.

Isyndel
2015-01-13, 10:38 PM
"Getting on the road would definitely be great. I'd much rather not let you out of our sight for an hour though, even in this place -- are you sure you will be alright?"

Pinnacle
2015-01-13, 11:30 PM
Balan smiled. "I should be pleased you're taking the charge to protect me so seriously. I'm not really afraid of any danger in Seaquen, but any or all of you are welcome to come with me if you wish... I will have several stops to make, though.

"There's nothing that you need to do or get?"

Did anybody want to do anything else during that time?

Gwendol
2015-01-14, 02:41 AM
Varis looks up, having contemplating the situation they were getting into. I'm going to look for supplies and equipment myself; will likely need more arrows.

OOC: I'd like to buy a grappling hook, another 20 arrows, and some alchemical items (if I can still afford). Ideally a potion of healing and some acid.

Irish Musician
2015-01-14, 10:51 AM
Gruum gives a snort and shakes his head, "Where you go, I go. You are my ward. I will not leave your side." With that, Gruum takes his place behind Balan and will follow him where ever he goes, and stay with him for as long as he is out.

Isyndel
2015-01-14, 11:44 PM
"Nothing that's more important than protecting you", Kelirath says, before taking his position near Balan and scanning for any threats.

I'm pretty sure this is completely unnecessary, but perception just for the heck of it: [roll0]

WaffleLord
2015-01-15, 02:11 AM
Broch

"If by our steel or wiles, we can see you safe to your destination, then, by our oath, it shall be one." While heartfelt and honest, the words had a sound and rhythm of tired over-use. The dwarf looked at the stable with grim resolution. He had ridden before, many times, but he had yet to enjoy it.

Broch would like two potions of healing and a full travel tankard (mundane), if available in town.

Pinnacle
2015-01-17, 11:39 PM
True to Balan's promise, within the hour Sternbrook had the sleigh ready, with animals to pull it. It was stocked with simple provisions, water, warm blankets, and heavy winter coats.

It was large enough for the entire party to ride on, though perhaps not comfortably. At worst, it provided ample space to carry equipment and enabled the group to take walking in shifts.

"I hope some of you know how to handle this," said Balan, "I can drive it, of course, but I hope to be able to share that duty at least part of the time... Getting this thing through the marshy area outside of Seaquen will be a hassle, but once we're past that I think the ice and snow are actually going to benefit us. I mean, I know that I'm not likely to be very comfortable out there in the cold, but it'll make our travel go faster. I've heard that the prolonged and extreme cold have caused the river to freeze much more completely than usual. Since our overdue spring is showing no signs of approach, we should be able to use the river itself to travel.
"I don't expect the trip to take us more than three days."

He nodded to his own personal gear, stowed in a wooden box. "I hope you don't feel that I'm taking up more than my share of space with that," he said, "but I do need courtly clothing as well as practical gear for travel. And I... don't actually own a suitable backpack."

Gwendol
2015-01-18, 03:03 AM
"I can help drive the sled." Varis says, having returned from his errands.

Irish Musician
2015-01-18, 10:10 AM
Gruum shrugs his shoulders at the thought of taking up space. Funnily enough, even though he took up about as much space as an orc can, he didn't have that much actual stuff. He had a small pack that kept his belongings in, his sword, and everything else he either found or gathered. "I do not mind the box. I do not have that much to keep. You can have my share of space." Gruum then threw his pack over his shoulder, his usual sign that he was ready to travel. "I have never driven a sled. I would not leave it up to me. But if I must, I can. Though I would rather keep my eyes open for danger."

Foodle
2015-01-18, 03:56 PM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17Zed catches up with the rest of the group at the determined place and time, his face flushed and smelling faintly of chicken fat and walking with a hand resting comfortingly on his stuffed belly. "Right on time," he proclaims with a strained smile as he climbs aboard the wagon with some effort, settling into a spot on the back with a sigh of relief.

"I don't have any experience driving a cart, but i'm willing to learn," he says as he unhooks the larger crossbow from his pack and places it next to him. "I might just lay down for a bit first though," he says covering his mouth and burping quietly into his hand before pulling his hood up over his head and laying down using his pack as a pillow.

WaffleLord
2015-01-20, 09:20 PM
Broch

The dwarf, relieved at the sight of the sleigh, hoisted his travel pack aboard and hopped aboard the back of the sleigh. Looping his arm through a hold-fast, he sat bolt upright in his seat, humming to himself. "I dare not take a turn at the reins," he chuckled aloud. "Nor would any of our company want me to. Ask them about my last turn driving oxen along a wide open road if you have time to kill. Only Moradin's providence saved us that day, bless The Maker," he said, touching his hammer reverently.

Isyndel
2015-01-21, 05:01 PM
"I've rode a horse before, but it was so long ago that I doubt I could remember. I think I'd be better useful keeping an eye out for things. ", Kelirath says.

Pinnacle
2015-01-22, 02:53 AM
Balan's concerns about getting the sleigh through the marsh proved less of a problem than he had predicted. The frozen water and ground, and the fine layer of snow, did hinder them more than smooth ground but the group still got through without too much trouble.

As the trees thinned, Balan sighed. He shivered and pulled his cloak tight around him. "It's only going to be colder in the open," he said with a nod at the snow that was starting to swirl in the air, "But at this rate we should be near the river by nightfall. We may actually be able to stay at an inn tomorrow night--"

From somewhere ahead, their came a haunting, inhuman howl. Several voices screamed.
"Uh," said Balan hesitantly, "should I try to.. get closer?"

Gwendol
2015-01-22, 04:49 AM
Varis

No, you should wait here while Zed and I scout ahead. Zed, wake up; there is something going on down the road! The rest of you know what to do.
The bow almost leaps into his hands, and the nimble elf hits the ground with barely a sound. With the inherent quickness of his race Varis moves forward while hugging the ground and finding what cover he can.

OOC: Stealth: [roll0]

Irish Musician
2015-01-22, 12:10 PM
Gruum hears the howls and is immediately put on the defensive. He reaches behind him, unbuckling his massive sword, and sinks the end into the earth. He then grabs some dirt from the ground, clearing some snow, and rubs it in his hands. "Do not go too far ahead," he says to Varis, "I want to be close if you need us." He then turns to Balan, "You do not go too far from me. I can help protect you. If it is wolves, I will try and scare them away." Gruum then picks up his sword and continues to slowly walk a head while Varis and Zed scout ahead for them.

Perception to see if he can see anything [roll0], and Gruum has darkvision

Gwendol
2015-01-22, 02:26 PM
Varis simply nods a reply, having no intention of getting spotted in the first place.

Foodle
2015-01-22, 04:18 PM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17Zed bolts upright sucking in his breath at his named being called, his hand gripping the crossbow at his side instinctively. "Huh? What?" he's says mumbling confused and half awake before turning to face Varis and reprocessing his words. "Oh yes, of course," he says looking into the distance where the others were gazing as he leapt over the edge of the cart to land lightly on the ground. Quickly patting down his pockets making sure he had everything, he proceeded to quickly follow after Varis.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Pinnacle
2015-01-23, 01:25 PM
"Very well, if you're going..." said Balan. He hummed three notes. They were soft and probably didn't carry too far, but had a certain clarity to them.
In fact, to Varis at least, they brought with them a kind of clarity of vision.

As the two scouts left, Balan repeated the notes, this time looking at Gruum.

Creeping over a snowy hill, Varis and Zed spotted a mostly human group of at least 30 people running--and occasionally stumbling--through the snow.
Behind them was obvious a spot where these travelers had stopped to rest, with small fires burning and supplies laying abandoned. And a prone body.
There was a figure in the makeshift campsite, humanoid but certainly nothing like a human. It was somewhat apelike, standing around 10 feet tall and covered with white fur, with clawed hands. It was glaring after the retreating groups, focused on them and apparently oblivious to the spying adventurers.
A yeti.
http://images.wikia.com/pathfinder/images/d/d2/Yeti.jpg
Along with the creature were three white wolves, two of which were rooting through abandoned packs and one of which was tearing at the body. They weren't ordinary wolves, though. They were nearly the size of horses.

Balan uses Bardic Inspiration on Varis and Gruum.

Once within the next 10 minutes, they can roll 1d8 and add the number to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. They can decide to use it after they've rolled.

Foodle
2015-01-23, 03:31 PM
Zed Stormpike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=68632) | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Passive Perception: 17
Zed turns an excited look to Varis and nods towards the Yeti and huge wolves. Pointing at the wolf savaging the downed human he hefts his crossbow suggestively unsure if there was any point trying to save the man or if it would be better to stay concealed and report back to the wagon.

WaffleLord
2015-01-24, 03:07 AM
Broch

The paladin hoisted himself from his comfortable position and clambered up to sit next to Balan. Placing his hammer in his lap, he calmed the diplomat. "Do not fear, Brother Batson. The Arrow and the Screw know what they are doing. Not much gets past Wildeyes there," he said, nodding towards Gruum. "Even the two Heretics have their uses. Though I confess the Flame is as hard to hold as a boiled potato. Where has that slippery sorcerer gone again? Well, he'll turn up or not."

Keeping an eye on their surroundings, he waved Balan forward. "Keep close behind Gruum. Should the call come, we would best be tight together. The Maker likes his tools handy, yes?"

Gwendol
2015-01-24, 03:27 AM
OOC: in which direction are the people fleeing? Towards us?

IC: "A monster attack! We should get the others here and strike at them from a distance. " Varis whispers to the gnome.

Foodle
2015-01-24, 05:06 PM
They didn't have time to go back and get the others then plan out their attack, that Yeti was looking as if it was just moments away from running after the fleeing forms. They needed to do something now, or they'd be spending the afternoon digging graves, and Zed's hands weren't made for using shovels. Shaking his head to Varis, he nods towards the Yeti as he fits a metal bolt to his crossbow. Hoping the Yeti was directing the wolves, he thought that if they could get a shot off at him and then draw their attention away from the fleeing forms they might be able to lead the beasts away.

Taking aim at the unsuspecting monster, the little gnome once more looks over to Varis to make sure he was following and had also readied his bow before peering down the sight of his bow and squeezing the trigger.

The shot made, Zed steps forward to the top of the ridge and waves his arms above his head. "K-KA!!" he crows out as loud as he can cupping his hands around his mouth and hoping the obviously artificial sound would grab the attention of the beasts, as well as travel far enough to alert the rest of the party behind them.

Once he has the beasts attention, he slips his crossbow away, turns tail and runs down the hill slipping behind a tree, ready to cover Varis' retreat.

Action: Light Crossbow @ The Yeti

Attack: [roll0] | Advantage from hidden: [roll1]
Damage: Crossbow - [roll2] | Sneak Attack - [roll3]
If Crit: [roll4] + [roll5]

Total Damage: 21 Piercing

Free: Put away his crossbow

Movement: Run 25ft back towards the wagons.

Bonus Action: Cunning Action - Hide

Hide behind a bush, tree, rock or something big enough for the gnome to hide behind.
Stealth: [roll6]

If there is nothing to hide behind on the hill, he'll instead use his cunning action to dash an extra 25ft further.

Pinnacle
2015-01-24, 10:31 PM
Balan slid from the driver's bench on the sleigh. "I'm afraid the horses would be skittish or bolt if they get nearer whatever made that sound," he said. "I'll go closer or stay back, whatever you think best--but I strongly suggest it be on foot."

The yeti howled as it was struck by the bolt. Perhaps it was this creature, and not the wolves, whose cry the adventurers had heard. It spun and glared in Zed's direction, its eyes flashing with blue light.
The three wolves also dropped their spoils and turned, growling. Wisps of frost escaped their maws.

To answer the question, they're fleeing almost perpendicular to the group. To Varis and Zed's left and towards the river.

The yeti takes 21 damage.

Varis's surprise round turn.
Anyone with 12 or higher on an Initiative check can also take their first turn.

Initiative:
PCs with Initiative 12 or higher
Bystanders
Yeti (21 damage taken)
3 Winter Wolves
Balan Batsom
PCs with Initiative 11 or lower

Foodle
2015-01-24, 11:29 PM
Leaning against a tree part way down the hill, Zed does what he probably should have done before loosing his bolt, warns the others. Pulling out the copper wire he'd used previously to whisper to Gruum, he quickly cast his spell and pointed back towards the wagon focusing on Broch and hoping he'd react better to voices in his ears than the Half-orc had.

<"Broch, this is Zed. A yeti and some huge wolves will be chasing us down the hill soon, be ready."> he whispers. Then moving off from his position, he scampers further down the hill before wedging himself against a large snow covered boulder and pulling free his hand crossbow.

Action: Cast Message to Broch

Move: 25ft further down the hill.

Free: Draw his Hand Crossbow

Question: How big is the hill/how far away is the wagon from us?

Gwendol
2015-01-25, 12:57 AM
OOC: are the wolves close together?

Pinnacle
2015-01-25, 01:04 AM
The rest of the party with the sled are about 50 feet back from where Zed and Varis spotted the monsters. The area is hilly as in not flat, but the high point isn't too much higher than the rest.

The wolves are all pretty close together.

Gwendol
2015-01-25, 10:17 AM
OOC: are they close enough for horde-breaker to kick in?

Gwendol
2015-01-26, 03:00 AM
OOC: Surprise round action:

As the gnome readies his crossbow, Varis speaks a few elven words causing the wood in the exquisitly crafted bow to grow spikes and thorns. Pulling back on the string, Varis aims his weapon on the wolves. As the gnome fires his bolt, Varis launches his arrow, then another, then another.

OOC: Arrow shot vs Winter Wolf [roll0], damage [roll1], assuming it hits Hail of Thorns triggers (using a 1st level slot) DEX save DC14 or take [roll2] damage to all creatures adjacent to target (half damage on successful save), 2nd arrow shot vs same target [roll3], damage [roll4], triggers Horde Breaker: third arrow against 2nd Wolf [roll5], damage [roll6]

1st round action coming up.

Gwendol
2015-01-26, 03:39 AM
As the arrows fires against the wolves the spikes and thorns launches from the bow speeding towards the group of wolves, adding to the damage of the arrows. Pleased with his handywork, the elf says I think we might have caught their attention now. Let's close the trap.
He fires another set of arrows against the enemies before following Zed down the slope and behind the boulder.

OOC: Arrow vs Yeti [roll0], damage [1d8+5], arrow vs 1st Wolf [roll1], damage [1d8+5], Horde Breaker bonus action vs 2nd Wolf [roll2], damage [1d8+5]

Gwendol
2015-01-26, 03:41 AM
OOC: Damages went wrong. 1st arrow looks like a miss, for 2nd and 3rd arrow [roll0], [roll1]

Pinnacle
2015-01-26, 12:08 PM
The first arrow struck the yeti center-mass, although the beast managed to tear it away quickly and the burst of thorns only struck one of the wolves.

As the flurry of missiles came down, the yeti roared with rage and fell into the campfire with an arrow through its eye.
The wounded wolves yelped, but turned to Varis, growling. The arrows protruding from their flesh did not seem to have penetrated very deep--but their white fur was stained with red blood, and he certainly did have their attention.

The yeti is hit for 10 damage, which reduces it to less than half its hit points. It makes its save vs. Hail of Thorns, as does the first wolf. The second one takes the damage.
The second arrow hits and the yeti takes a further 12 damage.
The third arrow hits a wolf for 9 damage.

All three of Zed's first turn attacks hit, and the yeti falls. Hm. So sad.

Kelirath's turn.

Initiative:
Kelirath
Bystanders
Yeti (54 damage taken, down)
3 Winter Wolves (28 damage taken; 11 damage taken; 0 damage taken)
Balan Batsom (NPC)
Gruum
Reyn
Broch
Zed
Varis

Isyndel
2015-01-26, 08:42 PM
I have less than 12 initiative but I'll post now, and you can count my action as happening later.
As the sounds of battle grew in the distance, Kelirath was conflicted between staying on the sled and his curiosity to see what was going on. In the end, his duty to Balam won out, simply because he didn't want to be known as the person who abandoned him if anything happened.

Kelirath will stay by the sled, readying an action to cast Light on the sled and attempt to slow any attackers if he hears anything suspicious. perception: [roll0]

Pinnacle
2015-01-26, 11:53 PM
A few of the fleeing people looked over their shoulders, seeing the fallen yeti and the adventurers defending them. For the moment at least, their fellows pushed them on, away from the battlefield.

The wolves snarled at each other in a manner that seemed almost like a language. Two of them darted past Varis and after Zed. They sniffed the air and looked around, prowling closer to the trees. They didn't seem to be able to locate the gnome.

The third went straight up to Varis and sunk its fangs into his leg. It twisted, attempting to throw him to the ground.

"I do appreciate your concern," said Balan, holding the horses' reins tight, "but I'm not entirely helpless." He whistled one soft note and traced a shape in the air. Instantly he seemed somehow stronger--or perhaps sturdier was a better word.

I screwed up a bit in the dice thread. Forgot to give the wolves Advantage on their Perception checks due to their Keen Hearing and Smell trait (I made the extra rolls with real dice; they still failed), and also thought they got extra actions I guess, because they can't get to Zed and attack him in the same turn.
Anyway...

Two of the wolves follow Zed and fail to find him.
The third moves up to Varis and hits him with a bite, dealing 14 piercing damage. He must also make a DC 14 Strength save or be knocked prone.

The bystanders move further away.

Balan casts blade ward.

PCs' turn.

Initiative:
Gruum
Reyn
Broch
Zed
Varis (52/67)
Kelirath
Bystanders
Yeti (54 damage taken, down)
3 Winter Wolves (adjacent to Varis, 28 damage taken; seeking Zed, 11 damage taken; seeking Zed, 0 damage taken)
Balan Batsom (NPC, blade ward)

Pinnacle
2015-01-27, 02:40 AM
PCs can act in any order, as convenient for players.

Foodle
2015-01-27, 04:36 AM
Zed was wearing a giant grin as he clutched his crossbow to his chest as he hid from the wolves, it wasn't every day he got to test his hiding skills against what must be such natural hunters. This was so much fun!

Listening carefully to the sounds of movement in the snow, he peeks out from his spot confident in his ability to get away. Quickly deciding Varis could use his help, he flips the arms of his hand crossbow into position and fire's off a quick pot shot at the wolf. Not looking to see if his shot found it's mark, he jumps out and leaving his cover yells out "Hya!" at the other two wolves that were after him, making sure they stayed on his tail as he raced off back to the wagon.

Action: Handcrossbow +1 @ Winter Wolf adjacent to Varis

Attack: [roll0] | Advantage from hidden: [roll1]
Damage: Crossbow - [roll2] | Sneak Attack - [roll3]
If Crit: [roll4]

Total Damage: 19 piercing

Bonus Action: Cunning Action - Dash

Move: Run back to the wagon (50ft worth of movement to use)
Possible Reactions
If both wolves chase him and the first one hits, he'll use Shield (+5AC til the start of his next turn. Possibly negating the hit).
If the first wolf misses, or only one chases after him, he'll instead use Uncanny Dodge (Half damage).

Gwendol
2015-01-27, 06:34 AM
Varis is pushed to the ground by the giant wolf's attack, leaving his bow where he lies, he gets back up and draws his blades.

The first hit is a smack with the broad side of the sword, shoving a paw aside, before striking hard and deep into the chest of the wolf.

Irish Musician
2015-01-27, 03:48 PM
"RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!" Gruum erupts into a large roar of his own and charges into the fray, using his massive sword to swing at the wolves. He looks back at Balan, "You stay safe, call out if you need me!"

Turn
Move - Move next to, if possible, both wolves. If not, then move to the nearest wolves.
Bonus - go into a rage!! :smallfurious:
Action - Attack on both wolves if I can. If not, the attacks will apply to only one wolf
Wolf 1 [roll0], [roll1]
Wolf 2 (or 1 if I can't get to 2) [roll2], [roll3]

Pinnacle
2015-01-27, 11:37 PM
The wolf jumped backward, avoiding the first of Varis's strikes. It yelped pathetically as it was struck in the hip by Zed's bolt, however, and then Varis caught it perfectly with his blade. It knocked the off-hand strike away with one of its front paws, but the blade still drew blood.
It glared at its attacker ferociously, hatefully, but looked ready to start backing away.

Gruum managed glancing blows against both of the beasts he attacked. Their focus was no longer on finding Zed, in any case.

Zed's attack hits, and drops the first Winter Wolf to less than half its hp.
Varis misses, crits, and hits with his off-hand attack. Not quite enough to take it down.
Gruum hits with both of his attacks.

Reyn, Broch, and Kelirath's turns.

Initiative:
Reyn
Broch
Kelirath
Bystanders
3 Winter Wolves (adjacent to Varis, 61 damage taken; adjacent to Gruum, 23 damage taken; adjacent to Gruum, 16 damage taken)
Gruum
Zed
Varis (52/67)

Pinnacle
2015-01-30, 09:26 PM
The wolf that had engaged Varis now seemed to think better of it. It snarled at him, a snarl that quite resembled a few very impolite curse words in the Common tongue, while it backed away. Once out of his reach, it turned to flee.

The wolves fighting Gruum were more aggressive. One opened its maw and breathed at him a blast of frigid air. The other was caught in the blast but seemed unphased, and in fact took advantage of the half-orc's distraction to bite his arm and attempt to throw him to the snowy ground.

The fleeing party was moving much slower now, shooting looks over their shoulders at the adventurers and the monsters. The fleeing wolf seemed of particular interest.

Balan winced as Gruum was bitten, but repeated his defensive spell.

Okay...

The wolf adjacent to Varis Disengages and moves 50 feet away.

Gruum is hit by one wolf's Cold Breath. If he fails a DC 12 Dex save, he takes 13 cold damage. If he makes the save, he only takes 6 cold damage.
He is also hit by a bite attack, which deals 12 damage. He also must make a DC 14 Str save or fall prone.

Balan casts blade ward again.

All PCs' turns.

Initiative:
Reyn
Broch
Kelirath
Gruum (49/61 hp)
Zed
Varis
Bystanders
3 Winter Wolves (fleeing from Varis, 61 damage taken; adjacent to Gruum, 23 damage taken; adjacent to Gruum, 16 damage taken)
Gruum
Zed
Varis (52/67)

Irish Musician
2015-01-30, 11:45 PM
Gruum catches a little bit of the cold air that the wolf spews forth, but dodges out of the way for the worst part of it. As he does, the other wolf tries to take advantage of his movement to throw him off balance while biting at his arm. The wolf yanks on Gruum's, but the Half-Orc goes nowhere. Gruum's eyes narrow at the wolf who's mouth holds his arm. His lips twist in a snarl and a loud, low growl emanates from Gruum. He lets out another loud growl and swings his sword at the wolf holding onto his arm. To the wolf's surprise, Gruum doesn't seem as affected by its bite as it would have liked.

Turn
Action - Two attacks on the wolf that bit me
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

Foodle
2015-01-31, 01:01 AM
Oh no no no, Zed starts to panic as the wounded wolf heads off in towards the helpless mob in search of easier prey. Dropping into a low crouch the gnome zips under the wagon and lets his hand crossbow fall to the snow, quickly exchanging it for one better suited to shooting more than a couple dozen feet.

Peeking up from the opposite side and hoping the wolf had lost track of him, he launches a bolt towards the fleeing furry form.

Move: Run/crawl under the wagon to the other side

Action: Light Crossbow @ Fleeing Wolf (Light Crossbow has a 80ft range, hopefully it's enough)

Attack: [roll1] | Advantage if he bet the wolves passive perception: [roll2]; Crit
Damage: Crossbow [roll3] | Sneak Attack [roll4]
If Crit: [roll5] + [roll6]

Total Damage: 36 piercing

Pinnacle
2015-01-31, 12:20 PM
The fleeing wolf collapsed sprawled on the ground. There was a crossbow bolt embedded deep in the center of its neck, and its lifeblood stained the snow red.

Gruum's first blow made the wolf release him with a yelp. It steeled itself against the second, which failed to penetrate its thick hide or do any damage beyond severing a few strands of matted white fur.

And that's more than enough to drop the fleeing wolf.

Gruum's first attack hits, but the second misses.

Reyn, Broch, Kelirath, and Varis's turns.

Initiative:
Reyn
Broch
Kelirath
Varis
Bystanders
3 2 Winter Wolves (fleeing from Varis, dead, 97 damage taken; adjacent to Gruum, breath spent, 23 damage taken; adjacent to Gruum, 24 damage taken)
Gruum
Zed
Varis (52/67)
Gruum (49/61 hp)
Zed

WaffleLord
2015-02-01, 12:36 AM
Broch

Seeing his comrade bitten by the icy hound was enough to galvanize the dwarf into action. "Stay in the sleigh, Batsom. Ride to safety, if necessary." Leaping from the sleigh, he made a beeline for the wolf who bit Gruum. He leveled a blow at the wolf calling to Moradin for aid. Standing next to the Half-orc, he kept his eyes on both wolves. "Come, furry demons, you'll need something more than chill wind to slow us. Stand firm, Wildeyes. They'll have no easy time with two."

Move and attack or move and charge, depending on distance to wolf.

Attack vs wolf - 23 in dice thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18747516&postcount=12)
Damage - only 5 (same thread) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18747516&postcount=12)

Fighting Style - Protection, disadvantage for those who attack allies within 5 feet.(Gruum)

Gwendol
2015-02-01, 09:34 AM
Varis drops the blades and picks up his bow, carefully aiming and firing at the fleeing wolf.

OOC: attacks [roll0] and [roll1], damages [roll2] and [roll3]
Varis will run in pursuit if he has movement left.

Pinnacle
2015-02-01, 02:09 PM
Broch's hammer connected with the wolf's skull twice. It stepped back slightly, in time to catch two arrows to its side.
It was breathing heavily now, and not exactly standing straight. The other looked at it with something like concern.

The fleeing wolf is down. Applying that attack to one of the others.
Also rolled Broch's second attack for him.
All four attacks hit. The wolf has les than half its hp.

Reyn and Kelirath[/b's turns.

[b]Initiative:
Reyn
Kelirath
Bystanders
3 2 Winter Wolves (fleeing from Varis, dead, 97 damage taken; adjacent to Gruum, breath spent, bloodied, 23 damage taken; adjacent to Gruum, 60 damage taken)
Varis (52/67)
Gruum (49/61 hp)
Zed
Broch