PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Changing Cantrips

Zariel
2014-12-30, 11:05 AM
Hello everyone.
Quick question is there some way to change your cantrips, other than GM ruling?
For example i'm warlock and i have 3 cantrips but i want to change one for another. Is there a way to do so?

FadeAssassin
2014-12-30, 11:21 AM
I don't see a problem with it. I mean you can change out "Illusory Script" (1st level) for "Vampiric Touch" (3rd) so I can see a problem with changing "Friends" to "Poison Spray"

I would say it would be fine for a character as long as they weren't a wizard, since their cantrips are written down.

Palorin
2014-12-30, 03:15 PM
There are no rules to do so, if that's what you are looking for. RAW has it that you are stuck with what you've picked. But most DMs are lenient if you ask between sessions or even encounters and do not abuse the privilege.

RedMage125
2014-12-31, 06:00 PM
Cantrips are listed as a kind of spell in the lists of spells by class.

And since warlocks can switch out spells known when they gain levels, I don't see why this wouldn't be covered.

Feldarove
2014-12-31, 06:15 PM
I don't see a problem with it. I mean you can change out "Illusory Script" (1st level) for "Vampiric Touch" (3rd) so I can see a problem with changing "Friends" to "Poison Spray"

I would say it would be fine for a character as long as they weren't a wizard, since their cantrips are written down.

AFB, but I don't recall it saying that cantrips were in your spellbook. We were trying to figure out if a wizard can write new cantrips into his spellbook, and it explicitly conveys that only new 1st level spells or higher go in there.

I then made the assumption that cantrips were simply known, and not in the spellbook.

As far as the original poster. From what I gather you are stuck with them. Just like with anything, your DM can allow you to make changes.

Jeraa
2014-12-31, 06:52 PM
Cantrips are listed as a kind of spell in the lists of spells by class.

And since warlocks can switch out spells known when they gain levels, I don't see why this wouldn't be covered.

Possibly because the section that says you can replace spells falls under the heading "Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher". While the section on changing spells can be read as also applying to cantrips, the section heading can not.

Cantrips are dealt with in their own section of the class descriptions, and make no mention of being able to switch them out.

Nothing says the wizards cantrips are written in the spellbook. Only 1st level spells and higher are mentioned as being contained in the book.