PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight yay or nay?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 02:09 PM
I was invited to a 5 level one-shot game in two weeks time, and it will be my first time playing 5e so I'm a little worried about my character; I have only perused the Player's Handbook, but the Eldritch Knight Archetype caught my interest so I was wondering about it's effectiveness. Seems pretty good, though not having thoroughly read the book I may be wrong.

I'm also wondering about the combat style, my gut says to go with the Great Weapon Fighting or Dueling, but I'm not sure. I also need help with the spell selection and a clarification, as a level 5 EK I know 4 level 1 spells and two of them must be either Abjuration or Evocation, is that right?

I haven't generated my ability scores yet, but I am assuming the stat priority would be Str>Con>Int> rest of them; Race wise I'm restricted to Human, Elf, Half-Elf and Dwarf.

Thanks in advance.

AstralFire
2014-12-30, 02:16 PM
I can't give detailed advice, but basically 5E has no bad classes and no bad archetypes, so don't worry on that front, at least. EK is generally considered one of the stronger Fighter archetypes, in fact.

BRC
2014-12-30, 02:18 PM
I was invited to a 5 level one-shot game in two weeks time, and it will be my first time playing 5e so I'm a little worried about my character; I have only perused the Player's Handbook, but the Eldritch Knight Archetype caught my interest so I was wondering about it's effectiveness. Seems pretty good, though not having thoroughly read the book I may be wrong.

I'm also wondering about the combat style, my gut says to go with the Great Weapon Fighting or Dueling, but I'm not sure. I also need help with the spell selection and a clarification, as a level 5 EK I know 4 level 1 spells and two of them must be either Abjuration or Evocation, is that right?

I haven't generated my ability scores yet, but I am assuming the stat priority would be Str>Con>Int> rest of them; Race wise I'm restricted to Human, Elf, Half-Elf and Dwarf.

Thanks in advance.
In terms of Style, the important thing to remember is that you need a hand free to cast unless you pick up the Combat Casting feat. My DM rules that wielding a two-handed weapon counts as having a "hand free", since you can hold the weapon in one hand, you just can't attack with it with any sort of effectiveness, but I would check with your DM before going that route. Or just pick up Combat Casting (or "warcaster" or whatever it is called).

If you're going the Duelist route, it might be worthwhile to go Dex Based rather than strength.

As for spell selection, I would generally stay away from damage-dealing spells, especially if you go Great Weapon. You don't need spells to deal damage, that is what your sword is for.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 02:33 PM
Ok so it seems Eldritch Knight is a good option, that is good to know.

For style I think I'll go with Duelist, I like the idea of a character that does go blade and sorcery using both of them in tandem; so it looks like I'll be focusing on Dex.

Demonic Spoon
2014-12-30, 02:34 PM
As for spell selection, I would generally stay away from damage-dealing spells, especially if you go Great Weapon. You don't need spells to deal damage, that is what your sword is for.

Single target, no. There's still some use in taking an AOE spell or two. They can also provide a good ranged option that doesn't require you pump DEX.

BRC
2014-12-30, 02:37 PM
Ok so it seems Eldritch Knight is a good option, that is good to know.

For style I think I'll go with Duelist, I like the idea of a character that does go blade and sorcery using both of them in tandem; so it looks like I'll be focusing on Dex.

Go go arcane swashbucklers in big floppy hats!

Single target, no. There's still some use in taking an AOE spell or two. They can also provide a good ranged option that doesn't require you pump DEX.

Yeah, it might be worth it to pick up an AoE. but utility spells and buffs will generally be more useful.

Rebel7284
2014-12-30, 02:54 PM
Extra actions + spells + extra attacks is a pretty nice combination as you can buff yourself in combat and then full attack.

If multiclassing is allowed, Fighter 2/Wizard 18 is probably better because spells are still the most powerful thing in the game. However, EK is plenty good by itself.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 03:00 PM
It is a one-shot, so I don't have to worry about multiclassing (which as far I remember it is suboptimal in 5e); besides Wizards and Warlocks are not allowed anyway (I didn't mention in the OP because I thought it wouldn't matter). Before anyone asks why, the game is set in Middle Earth, so I guess the DM wants to keep magic to a minimum, why he didn't ban Clerics, Druids or Bards I don't know.

Felvion
2014-12-30, 03:01 PM
As i see it you know 4 spells and 3 of them have to be abj and evoc. Only one can be outside from that list. Since you won't have many slots anyway i'd recommend find familiar spell to be the one. The 5th ed familiar is different that the 3.5 one and is one of the best lvl1 spells imo.
As for your other spells i'd suggest picking spells that don't rely on int. 3 spells per day are not worth the stat investment but you can still find many useful spells (abjuration mostly). Haven't gone too deep on it but shield is awesome for a melee character. Protection from evil (as the only concentration buff) and magic missile (for sure hits) could be the other two.
Stat wise you should choose your fighting style and adjust your main stat accordingly. Some ppl say that dex is the god stat of 5th because it applies to all ac,initiative,attack and dmg with finesse. Still strength is solid and con should come second in priority regardless of your style.
Int seems a bit of bad investment especially for a one shot. It doesn't grant you more spells just higher dc and to hit success on limited number of spells which you cant cast more than 3 times a day. Your call but i wouldn't do it.
There are some builds around if you wanna take a look, someone gathered them here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377491-Guides-Tables-and-other-useful-tools-for-5E-D-amp-D

Ashrym
2014-12-30, 03:18 PM
INT only matters if spells known have DC's or attack rolls. With planning, it can be completely ignored and with a one-shot it's entirely based on spell selection. If your spells are sleep, shield, alarm, and magic missile INT doesn't do anything, for example.

If the spells do use INT then I would give it a higher priority than CON. You already have CON save proficiency and at 5th level having 44 hp instead of 49 hp is worth more effective spells.

The reason a free hand is important is because you need a spell component pouch for material components and somatic components of spells. This won't matter if your DM hand-waives components or you skip the shield with duelist style but if you don't and components are included it means you would need to sheathe your weapon as part of your spellcasting and won't have the weapon in hand on other turns, which might impact feats or opportunity attacks. You can draw the weapon again on as part of your attack on your next turn.

Duelist is a strong defensive option because it allows shield use with larger weapon damage and matching feats tend to be defensive. There is no -5/+10 option for duelist, for example, but there is a feat that allows a reaction for AC boost. DEX combines ability checks, ranged, and melee for it so it's a good option.

Great weapon fighting is a stronger damage option and can work with feats for more damage. The official ruling is that weilding a weapon in 2 hands allows for holding it in one hand and freeing up the other for spellcasting. STR build, definitely. This tends to allow for the most damage potential.

Something you didn't mention but might consider is the archery style. This is closer to the arcane archer concept if you are interested in that direction. Archery battle masters are popular because many maneuvers can be used at range and archery is pretty good damage potential with sharpshooter and crossbow expert.

Unlike paladins and rangers, eldritch knights have access to cantrips and the recommendation would be non-damage cantrips because weapon damage is better.

Mechaviking
2014-12-30, 03:36 PM
as long as you pick shield(the spell), you should be fine :D.

I also advice protection the +1 ac goes a long way, you just have to wear light armor for it, and then you are equally good at longbowing and rapier+shield fighting, which will make you pretty rounded, also you really will not need a lot of int, just prioritize buffing and protection spells and you can even rock int 8 if it wont hurt your fluff.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 04:39 PM
As i see it you know 4 spells and 3 of them have to be abj and evoc. Only one can be outside from that list. Since you won't have many slots anyway i'd recommend find familiar spell to be the one. The 5th ed familiar is different that the 3.5 one and is one of the best lvl1 spells imo.
As for your other spells i'd suggest picking spells that don't rely on int. 3 spells per day are not worth the stat investment but you can still find many useful spells (abjuration mostly). Haven't gone too deep on it but shield is awesome for a melee character. Protection from evil (as the only concentration buff) and magic missile (for sure hits) could be the other two.
Stat wise you should choose your fighting style and adjust your main stat accordingly. Some ppl say that dex is the god stat of 5th because it applies to all ac,initiative,attack and dmg with finesse. Still strength is solid and con should come second in priority regardless of your style.
Int seems a bit of bad investment especially for a one shot. It doesn't grant you more spells just higher dc and to hit success on limited number of spells which you cant cast more than 3 times a day. Your call but i wouldn't do it.
There are some builds around if you wanna take a look, someone gathered them here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377491-Guides-Tables-and-other-useful-tools-for-5E-D-amp-D

Thank you, that is some solid advice and the link is very useful.

INT only matters if spells known have DC's or attack rolls. With planning, it can be completely ignored and with a one-shot it's entirely based on spell selection. If your spells are sleep, shield, alarm, and magic missile INT doesn't do anything, for example.

If the spells do use INT then I would give it a higher priority than CON. You already have CON save proficiency and at 5th level having 44 hp instead of 49 hp is worth more effective spells.

The reason a free hand is important is because you need a spell component pouch for material components and somatic components of spells. This won't matter if your DM hand-waives components or you skip the shield with duelist style but if you don't and components are included it means you would need to sheathe your weapon as part of your spellcasting and won't have the weapon in hand on other turns, which might impact feats or opportunity attacks. You can draw the weapon again on as part of your attack on your next turn.

Duelist is a strong defensive option because it allows shield use with larger weapon damage and matching feats tend to be defensive. There is no -5/+10 option for duelist, for example, but there is a feat that allows a reaction for AC boost. DEX combines ability checks, ranged, and melee for it so it's a good option.

Great weapon fighting is a stronger damage option and can work with feats for more damage. The official ruling is that weilding a weapon in 2 hands allows for holding it in one hand and freeing up the other for spellcasting. STR build, definitely. This tends to allow for the most damage potential.

Something you didn't mention but might consider is the archery style. This is closer to the arcane archer concept if you are interested in that direction. Archery battle masters are popular because many maneuvers can be used at range and archery is pretty good damage potential with sharpshooter and crossbow expert.

Unlike paladins and rangers, eldritch knights have access to cantrips and the recommendation would be non-damage cantrips because weapon damage is better.

Eh... Archery isn't really my style, I like my characters being in the thick of things, still something to consider.

as long as you pick shield(the spell), you should be fine :D.

I also advice protection the +1 ac goes a long way, you just have to wear light armor for it, and then you are equally good at longbowing and rapier+shield fighting, which will make you pretty rounded, also you really will not need a lot of int, just prioritize buffing and protection spells and you can even rock int 8 if it wont hurt your fluff.

I definitely will go for more than 8 int if I can afford it, but right now I can't really say since I'll be rolling stats this saturday.