PDA

View Full Version : Called shot maybe?

Nagalipton
2014-12-30, 03:48 PM
When my group began playing, the DMG had not yet come out. Pretty much everyone except our sorceror has some heavy melee influence. Each of them asked about stuff they could do aside from just "hit and move" in combat, specifically asking about called shots. I told them we'd "upgrade" combat once the DMG came out, though now that its here I don't see anything about called shots.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything else and am currently working with my group about things to include, or things to exclude. Everyone really wants called shots though, and I'm giving a lot of consideration to simply homebrewing something to work, however I'd love to hear advice from the playground about how called shots should work in 5th ed. Thanks in advance for your support.

Palorin
2014-12-30, 04:24 PM
A home brew that has been INSANELY effective in our campaign is simply using the Advantage/Disadvantage system. Your players take a disadvantage to hit, nail their enemy, and either grant advantage for their allies or disadvantage to the enemy, depending on location struck. The bonus lasts until the beginning of the called shot players next turn.

You could take this a step further and impose a 1-Round -10 to speed (called shot to wing, leg, foot, etc), or a 1-round blinded condition (called shot to head or eye), disadvantage to attack rolls (head or hand/arm), and advantage to ally attacks (head, leg, torso).

Remember to impose disadvantage on the called shot and that the bonus to the players should be very temporary (1 round on average, 1d4 rounds max). Extra damage shouldn't be used, as players have many ways to increase their DPR already.

MadGrady
2014-12-30, 04:31 PM
One of my fellow DMs in our group used called shots and imposed a +2 AC to enemy (due to trying to hit a specific target) and certain conditions to target area.

Hit the leg = reduced speed
Hit both legs = prone

Hit arm = disadvantage/potential to drop weapon

Nagalipton
2014-12-30, 04:41 PM
Thanks very much. Those suggestions were pretty much right on the money for what I was working on anyway. Glad to see I'm on the right track.

I had already considered the advantage/disadvatage Palorin mentioned, though in the system I was working on extra damage or permanent wounds were possible and it seemed really harsh. One thing I keep telling my players is anything they can do, so can their enemies. Having a 1/100 chance (or so) of one hitting a dragon is awesome until you realise you could likewise be killed by a wondering squirrel with those same odds. I like your idea of one round or so penalties but nothing else.

MadGrady your idea is good too, though 5th edition has done such a good job of getting rid of situational +/-X modifiers that it seemed like a shame to bring them back. Still seems like a good backup.

MadGrady
2014-12-30, 04:50 PM
MadGrady your idea is good too, though 5th edition has done such a good job of getting rid of situational +/-X modifiers that it seemed like a shame to bring them back. Still seems like a good backup.

In this, we actually agree. I think he was semi-basing it off of the cover rules (one of the very few times AC gets a bonus).

This works better with the penalties/conditions he was imposing.

I would hesitate to just make a shot be made at disadvantage to then have a guy fall prone. Seems like the reward is much better than the risk (imho). But, as you said - what we can do, the baddies can as well so it might add to your own tricks as a DM :)

Palorin
2014-12-30, 04:58 PM
Thanks very much. Those suggestions were pretty much right on the money for what I was working on anyway. Glad to see I'm on the right track.

I had already considered the advantage/disadvatage Palorin mentioned, though in the system I was working on extra damage or permanent wounds were possible and it seemed really harsh. One thing I keep telling my players is anything they can do, so can their enemies. Having a 1/100 chance (or so) of one hitting a dragon is awesome until you realise you could likewise be killed by a wondering squirrel with those same odds. I like your idea of one round or so penalties but nothing else.

The best part about the short-term penalties is that they feel very impactful, both from players and NPCs, and as DM you can use them without the players crying that you have "ruined" their characters.

Nagalipton
2014-12-30, 05:14 PM
One additional tidbit I was considering working with.

The DMG has a section for permanent wounds. I'm away from book at the moment, but it is something to the effect of if you take a certain ammount of damage or get hit with a crit (there are other triggers I'm sure) you make a CON save or roll on the permanent wound table.

What I was gonna impliment is if you try a called shot, and score a crit anyway (that's...what a 1 in 400 chance?) then rather than rolling on the table, the appropriet wound is dealt. Were you trying just to make them blink and loose sight for a round? Well now you've claimed an eye. That sort of thing.

Palorin
2014-12-30, 05:21 PM
One additional tidbit I was considering working with.

The DMG has a section for permanent wounds. I'm away from book at the moment, but it is something to the effect of if you take a certain ammount of damage or get hit with a crit (there are other triggers I'm sure) you make a CON save or roll on the permanent wound table.

What I was gonna impliment is if you try a called shot, and score a crit anyway (that's...what a 1 in 400 chance?) then rather than rolling on the table, the appropriet wound is dealt. Were you trying just to make them blink and loose sight for a round? Well now you've claimed an eye. That sort of thing.

The niggling injury table is amazeballs. Use it!

PinkysBrain
2014-12-30, 06:17 PM
Called shots tend to boil down to "go for the head". IMO called shots should be rolled into the crit system, on a natural 20 you can call a shot and it simply succeeds. Single turn stun or blind or other major status effect, multi turn reduction of movement or AC or attack, sunder, disarm in such a way that their weapon flies away 30 feet, that sorta stuff.

PinkysBrain
2014-12-30, 06:23 PM
A home brew that has been INSANELY effective in our campaign is simply using the Advantage/Disadvantage system. Your players take a disadvantage to hit, nail their enemy, and either grant advantage for their allies or disadvantage to the enemy, depending on location struck.

Doesn't this lead to more obvious gaming of the disadvantage system? (ie. oh I can take a disadvantage any way without it mattering, so I will and get a free bonus)

Nagalipton
2014-12-30, 06:28 PM
Doesn't this lead to more obvious gaming of the disadvantage system? (ie. oh I can take a disadvantage any way without it mattering, so I will and get a free bonus)

I disagree. I would rule that if something is already giving you disadvantage, you cannot make a called shot. Likewise I would argue that you could not benefit from advantage when trying to make a called shot. Is someone assisting you, thus giving you an opening? Do you wanna take the opening being presented (advantage), or try your own thing (called shot: Disadvantage with potential for effect).

PinkysBrain
2014-12-30, 07:19 PM
I disagree. I would rule that if something is already giving you disadvantage.

If you willy nilly start making disadvantages stronger than advantages in a houserule I would not see that as fair. The only reason one disadvantage being able to cancel multiple advantages is remotely palatable is because the reverse is true as well IMO.

pwykersotz
2014-12-30, 07:25 PM
If you willy nilly start making disadvantages stronger than advantages in a houserule I would not see that as fair. The only reason one disadvantage being able to cancel multiple advantages is remotely palatable is because the reverse is true as well IMO.

He's only saying that in the context of called shots, not as a global rule.

Freelance GM
2014-12-30, 07:32 PM
Called Shot was actually a feat in one of the older playtest packets.

"You shoot or hurl a missile at a precise spot on an enemy’s body.
Prerequisite: 9th level, Dexterity 15 or higher
Benefit: You can use your action to prepare a called shot against a target you can see. On your next turn, if your first ranged attack against that creature is a hit, it becomes a critical hit."

It would require a bit of a power boost to keep up with other 5E feats, but it might be possible to add into the game. Perhaps adding additional effects? Something like this:

Instead of adding extra damage dice on the Crit, you can choose to apply one of the following effects:
Foot: Reduce the target's movement speed by 10 feet until the beginning of their next turn.
Hand: The target drops one held item, and cannot use that arm until the beginning of their next turn.
Head: The target is stunned or blinded until the beginning of their next turn.

FadeAssassin
2014-12-30, 07:45 PM
It would require a bit of a power boost to keep up with other 5E feats, but it might be possible to add into the game. Perhaps adding additional effects? Something like this:

Instead of adding extra damage dice on the Crit, you can choose to apply one of the following effects:
Foot: Reduce the target's movement speed by 10 feet until the beginning of their next turn.
Hand: The target drops one held item, and cannot use that arm until the beginning of their next turn.
Head: The target is stunned or blinded until the beginning of their next turn.

This part is actually in the DMG. It's under injuries. Basically the DMG says that when a creature is under one of the following circumstances, they take and injury:
-hit with a Crit
-Drops to 0 but isn't killed outright
-fails a Death save by 5 or more

It then provides a d20 table to determine the effect. Everything from limpint to losing limbs. a lot of the effects can be ended with any magical healing but some require higher level spells, like Heal or Regenerate.

JAL_1138
2014-12-30, 07:57 PM
as DM you can use them without the players crying that you have "ruined" their characters.

I hate this mindset. If I no longer want to play a character due to horrible injury, I'll tell the DM "let them die" or "they retire to go start an inn" and move on. Granted I'm an AD&D fossil, but the way people get upset now over character injury or death...the first room of Tomb of Horrors--if you survive the entrance to get into it--can horribly maim or kill a character outright, no save. And it only gets worse from there. Dagnabbed whippersnappers. Back in my day...

Nagalipton
2014-12-30, 08:35 PM
I hate this mindset. If I no longer want to play a character due to horrible injury, I'll tell the DM "let them die" or "they retire to go start an inn" and move on. Granted I'm an AD&D fossil, but the way people get upset now over character injury or death...the first room of Tomb of Horrors--if you survive the entrance to get into it--can horribly maim or kill a character outright, no save. And it only gets worse from there. Dagnabbed whippersnappers. Back in my day...

Right? I've worked with a bunch of players who want to start play with some form of "bad boy" scar. I keep telling them, "Earn the scar in game. Trust me, you'll appreciate it so much more if there is a really cool story behind it...kinda like oh say, real life scars."

Freelance GM
2014-12-30, 09:20 PM
This part is actually in the DMG. It's under injuries. Basically the DMG says that when a creature is under one of the following circumstances, they take and injury:
-hit with a Crit
-Drops to 0 but isn't killed outright
-fails a Death save by 5 or more

It then provides a d20 table to determine the effect. Everything from limpint to losing limbs. a lot of the effects can be ended with any magical healing but some require higher level spells, like Heal or Regenerate.

How did I not think of that? The Injuries are literally my favorite part of 5E's DMG. Thank you for pointing that out- I'd hate to miss a chance to horrifically scar my players' pretty Elven faces.

PinkysBrain
2014-12-31, 10:40 AM
I hate this mindset. If I no longer want to play a character due to horrible injury, I'll tell the DM "let them die" or "they retire to go start an inn" and move on.

I frequently read tales from players whose DMs are vehemently opposed to allowing this.

PinkysBrain
2014-12-31, 10:47 AM

That doesn't sound very useful for a called shot mechanic with some tactical depth. The effects on the table sound too variable in severity to allow the players to just pick one.

FadeAssassin
2014-12-31, 05:04 PM
I frequently read tales from players whose DMs are vehemently opposed to allowing this.

I (as a DM) think that if a player is going to be unhappy playing a certain character, for whatever reason, let them roll a new character. If they can tie that character into their OC's backstory so its easy for the new character to get in the game.

I have a player who said that after he defeated a specific enemy (tied to his backstory and a curse) he wanted his character to die. Not because he doesn't like the character, simply because he feels that that is the right time for him to go. THAT is how I would prefer it happened, but I can understand not liking a character for whatever reason and wanting to change.

I mean what makes more sense for a farmer who picks up a sword and become a fighter to help destroy the orc horde that attacked his homestead: To leave once the Horde has been dealt with or to continuing adventuring?
There can be reasons for the latter, like perhaps they need money to rebuild the farm, or just enjoyed advanturing, but if the farm was fine and they weren't really the adventurous type, then they should go home. Put up their sword and leave the party. Now that character is an NPC that could help the party at a later date.

That doesn't sound very useful for a called shot mechanic with some tactical depth. The effects on the table sound too variable in severity to allow the players to just pick one.

Oh, I wasn't necessarily suggesting they would pick, but if they said, "I want to shoot/hit it in the leg", well then it has a limp or a broken leg or whatever. And the Book also said you can use this as an example to make your own chart.

Rilak
2015-01-01, 02:03 PM
A home brew that has been INSANELY effective in our campaign is simply using the Advantage/Disadvantage system. Your players take a disadvantage to hit, nail their enemy, and either grant advantage for their allies or disadvantage to the enemy, depending on location struck. The bonus lasts until the beginning of the called shot players next turn.

Compare it to something like the Battle Master's Distracting Attack, which costs resources 4/short rest and is your path feature. Advantage on a single roll. You already have the Shove attack option for making people prone/give advantage.
Not allowing called shots makes combat smoother anyway.

Theodoxus
2015-01-01, 08:01 PM
Called shots tend to boil down to "go for the head". IMO called shots should be rolled into the crit system, on a natural 20 you can call a shot and it simply succeeds. Single turn stun or blind or other major status effect, multi turn reduction of movement or AC or attack, sunder, disarm in such a way that their weapon flies away 30 feet, that sorta stuff.

I really like this, but was wondering, what would be balanced with doubled dice?

I mean, you roll a crit (we still use confirmation, where the crit still doubles, but a confirmation will automax one set of die) - I could see replacing the automax with a called shot feature...