PDA

View Full Version : A new clicktastic game!

Traab
2014-12-30, 07:22 PM
Heh, for those who found cookie clicker to be amusing, there is another game out there, Clicker Heroes! (http://armorgames.com/play/16083/clicker-heroes?tag-referral=upgrade) Its basically setup along similar lines, you defeat enemies, gather gold, and use the money to buy new higher level units to give you higher damage per second, and to upgrade those units with all sorts of interesting stuff. You have the standard double the dps upgrade, as well as auto clicker buffs, increasing everyone dps, things like that. I have only just started playing it, but its something fun to leave running in the background and check in on to see how its going. Like the cookie clicker game it has a reset feature that lets you start over with a bonus. I havent reached that stage yet (though im close,) so I cant talk about how neat it is, but it seems interesting because, unlike cookie clicker which gives you a straight bonus to cookies per second, you use these points you get to choose from various upgrades like boosts to how many dps you get per click, cheaper upgrades, so on and so forth.

Pronounceable
2014-12-31, 08:38 PM
This is even worse than Cookie Clicker. Lv54 and counting...

Seerow
2014-12-31, 09:39 PM
I got obsessed with this a while back. I quit when it got to the point I realized the further I got the more play time was demanded by the game to progress (as compared to most idle games where the longer you play the longer time you could go between needing to check stuff).

When I quit I could go from level 1 to 400 in around 30 minutes. At which point I could wait another 3 days and get a around 100 hero souls, or I could reset right then and gain around 500 hero souls in the next 30 minutes.

An idle game where you only progress when you are actively playing is a very bad idle game.

Traab
2015-01-01, 10:25 AM
Ive only reset twice now. That click bonus ancient is kinda sweet for the first few levels. And having the ancient that reduces cost of leveling up heroes is pretty handy. But too be fair, cookie clicker hit the same plateau. Eventually you reached a point where you could buy all the upgrades in under an hour of active play, at which point what do you do then? Leave it running for a few days just to grab another septillion chips? Meh, boring.

Seerow
2015-01-01, 10:46 AM
Ive only reset twice now. That click bonus ancient is kinda sweet for the first few levels. And having the ancient that reduces cost of leveling up heroes is pretty handy. But too be fair, cookie clicker hit the same plateau. Eventually you reached a point where you could buy all the upgrades in under an hour of active play, at which point what do you do then? Leave it running for a few days just to grab another septillion chips? Meh, boring.

Well that's the thing. Grabbing another septillion chips was progression. If you reset as soon as you finished buying everything in cookie clicker, you would never progress at all. The game encouraged you to max out, leave it running a few days to collect heavenly chips, then reset to get even bigger numbers.

Clicker Heroes once you've got some souls under your belt encourages you to max out, then immediately reset and max out again, repeat over and over, because leaving it running for a few days gets you no benefit at all.

Superficially how they act may seem similar, but the endgame really is completely different.

Traab
2015-01-01, 12:25 PM
Well that's the thing. Grabbing another septillion chips was progression. If you reset as soon as you finished buying everything in cookie clicker, you would never progress at all. The game encouraged you to max out, leave it running a few days to collect heavenly chips, then reset to get even bigger numbers.

Clicker Heroes once you've got some souls under your belt encourages you to max out, then immediately reset and max out again, repeat over and over, because leaving it running for a few days gets you no benefit at all.

Superficially how they act may seem similar, but the endgame really is completely different.

But in the end the result is the same. There is no reason to keep playing because you already achieved everything. There are no more upgrades, no more structures, no more rewards, nothing but an ever increasing speed of running out of things to do. I think my personal best was being able to max out everything in a half hour. Why bother getting even more chips when it doesnt DO anything? I will admit I didnt realize the game stopped at 400, but in cookies there are no levels. Your only progression are the upgrades and achievements. Once you get all of them, whats the point of continuing to play?