PDA

View Full Version : Not-so-True Dragons

Ruethgar
2014-12-30, 07:36 PM
There are a handful of dragons that lost their true dragon status with Races of the Dragon and I was wondering if people just rule them as true anyway, or keep to the RAW? The ones I know of are Tome, Hex, Purple, Yellow, Orange, Steel, Mist, Mercury, and Incarnum.

atemu1234
2014-12-30, 07:39 PM
I seem to remember all dragons with age categories qualify as true dragons. Insofar as I know.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 07:41 PM
I seem to remember all dragons with age categories qualify as true dragons. Insofar as I know.

That opens a HUUUUUUUUGE can of worms, because if that was the only requirement then Dragonwrought Kobolds would qualify as true dragons ( I rule they do, but to this day it is still a heated debate)

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-30, 07:41 PM
Purple, yellow and steel dragons aren't true dragons? That's so sad.

atemu1234
2014-12-30, 07:42 PM
That opens a HUUUUUUUUGE can of worms, because if that was the only requirement then Dragonwrought Kobolds would qualify as true dragons ( I rule they do, but to this day it is still a heated debate)

I believe that that line of RAW is what fuels the arguments.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 07:45 PM
IIRC there is also the lines that says "They gain power as they age" or something like that, and the main counter argument is that the very same list mentioned in the OP doesn't mention Dragonwrought Kobolds,but then there are people who say the list is not exhaustive and that it only contained the true dragons published before Races of the Dragon so yeah.

Ruethgar
2014-12-30, 07:50 PM
The age categories only defines a true dragon if you are only using up to the Draconomicon or the dragon was presented in or after Races of the Dragon, if you include Races of the Dragon, the list is shortened to: Amethyst, Battle, Black, Blue, Brass, Bronze, Brown, Chaos, Chiang lung, Copper, Crystal, Deep, Emerald, Ethereal, Fang, Force, Gold, Green, Howling, Li lung, Lung wang, Oceanus, Pan lung, Prismatic, Pyroclastic, Radiant, Red, Rust, Sand, Sapphire, Shadow, Shen lung, Silver, Song, Styx, Tarterian, T'ien lung, Topaz, Tun mi lung, White, Yu lung, Half-Dragon, DWK and any printed after that match the Draconomicon requirements.

Dragonwrought Koblds are true dragons because the list in Races of the Dragon only uses the materials published to that date, at the time of writing RotD was not published and thus any dragon presented there-in or there-after falls to the Draconomicon to define which DWKs match up to.

Added Incarnum Dragon as a Not-soTrue dragon.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-30, 09:23 PM
I rule them as true dragons. They're functionally identical to the others, so them not being included is most likely an oversight imo.
You've also forgotten mist & mercury dragons. Since you include tome there's also a huge amount of DragonMag-only dragons that aren't on your list (not surprising, since they're 3rd party).
In general RotD seems to have forgotten about Dragons of Faerun.

Also despite people arguing to the contrary neither half-dragons nor DWK have been or will ever be considered true dragons in one of my games. They're creatures with the dragon type, not dragons.
I don't care what RAW says when you squint the right way, if you want to count as a true dragon be a dragon first, not just some creature with the dragon type.

WhamBamSam
2014-12-31, 03:37 PM
Purple, yellow and steel dragons aren't true dragons? That's so sad.Steel Dragons at least certainly are, since the current version in Dragons of Faerun was published after RotD.

Anyway, the table in RotD is a meaningless definition of what a true dragon is. Either the Draconomicon definition of a dragon that grows more powerful as it gets older takes primacy, or the definition in Dragon Magic of a dragon with 12 age categories replaces it.

Coidzor
2014-12-31, 03:45 PM
There are a handful of dragons that lost their true dragon status with Races of the Dragon and I was wondering if people just rule them as true anyway, or keep to the RAW? The ones I know of are Tome, Hex, Purple, Yellow, Orange, Steel, Mist, Mercury, and Incarnum.

Why would I run Steel Dragons as not-True Dragons? That'd be ridiculous. They're Dragon Magazine Content so of course Races of the Dragon wouldn't touch upon them.

Yael
2014-12-31, 04:15 PM
Why would I run Steel Dragons as not-True Dragons? That'd be ridiculous. They're Dragon Magazine Content so of course Races of the Dragon wouldn't touch upon them.

So Tome Dragons, and I consider them a good fuel for adventurecraft checks.

DrMotives
2014-12-31, 10:29 PM
Where are 3.5 stats on yellow, orange, and purple dragons? I remember those from an older Dragon magazine article in 2e, but I haven't seen an update.

Ruethgar
2014-12-31, 11:11 PM
Where are 3.5 stats on yellow, orange, and purple dragons? I remember those from an older Dragon magazine article in 2e, but I haven't seen an update.

They are in the Dragon Magazine Compendium p195.