PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Ranger/Abjuration Wizard MC Combo

Darksidebro
2014-12-30, 08:32 PM
Hey everyone. I'll just get right to the point: My party currently consists of a Dwarf Monk, Human Dex Fighter, and a Dwarf Ranger (me). We all dual weild, and other than my meager casting (all level 3) we have no spell support. I've been toying with the idea of multiclassing into Abjuration wizard and was wondering if this would be a viable combination? My table is only half optimized, so that isn't an issue really.

I currently fight using a War Pick and Hand Crossbow in my offhand. Planning to get Crossbow Expert feat at level 4.
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Celcey
2014-12-30, 09:26 PM
I would suggest if you want to multi-class into a full caster, go cleric or Druid. Both use wisdom, whereas wizard uses intelligence (which you probably dumped).

Nagalipton
2014-12-30, 09:29 PM
I think it could work if your INT is at least halfway decent. You will need a free hand for casting so without war caster you may have to stop duel weilding for awhile. You already have cure wounds and several other helpful spells that are cleric/druid esk. Bear in mind you will be sacrificing power for versitility if you do this, but if you're willing to work with that and MAKE versitility your strength then I say go for it.

odigity
2014-12-31, 01:08 AM
So many things work off your spellcasting ability (DCs, spells prepared, attack rolls, even the strength of the Abjurer's Arcane Ward ability) that I wouldn't touch it without at least a 14 in there to start with.

I second the suggestion of Cleric/Druid. Full spellcasters that use Wisdom, which you probably already have.

Auramis
2014-12-31, 01:21 AM
It might be worth reworking your hunter into an archery based Eldritch Knight instead and then jumping into wizard, imo. Wizard and EK synergize better together than ranger and wizard.

Serafina
2014-12-31, 03:00 PM
Keep in mind that your casting stat only matters if:
- the spell requires an attack roll OR
- the spell allows a saving throw.

If neither is the case, you can cast it just as well at Wisdom 8 then at Wisdom 20.

Hunters Mark for example, while an offensive spell, requires neither an attack roll nor a saving throw.
Only the following Ranger spells actually profit at all from Wisdom:
Animal Friendship (1st level, saving throw)
Conjure Barrage (3rd level, saving throw)
Conjure Volley (5th level, saving throw)
Cordon of Arrows (2nd level, saving throw)
Cure Wounds (1st level, increases healing)
Ensnaring Strike (1st level, saving throw)
Grasping Vine (4th level, saving throw)
Hail of Thorns (1st-level, saving throw)
Lightning Arrow (3rd level, saving throw)

So basically:
You can still heal pretty well via Goodberry (Wisdom-independent).
You loose your anti-horde spells, but - hey, Fireball!
You get control from your Wizard-spells too.
You actually do loose animal friendship. How will you live!

The reverse is also true - plenty of Wizard-spells do not require Intelligence. Though it'd rather loose the ranger spells than the Wizard spells.
Alternatively, you could take Magic Initiate, pick Shillelagh and only fight with Clubs/Quarterstaves. That way you can ditch Strength/Dexterity and go for both high Wisdom and Intelligence.

And Ranger/Wizard mixes do have a history in D&D. The most iconic to me was Valygar Corthala from Baldurs Gate II, who was basically a Ranger who could cast several Wizard-spells.

Darksidebro
2014-12-31, 03:09 PM
Keep in mind that your casting stat only matters if:
- the spell requires an attack roll OR
- the spell allows a saving throw.

If neither is the case, you can cast it just as well at Wisdom 8 then at Wisdom 20.

Hunters Mark for example, while an offensive spell, requires neither an attack roll nor a saving throw.
Only the following Ranger spells actually profit at all from Wisdom:
Animal Friendship (1st level, saving throw)
Conjure Barrage (3rd level, saving throw)
Conjure Volley (5th level, saving throw)
Cordon of Arrows (2nd level, saving throw)
Cure Wounds (1st level, increases healing)
Ensnaring Strike (1st level, saving throw)
Grasping Vine (4th level, saving throw)
Hail of Thorns (1st-level, saving throw)
Lightning Arrow (3rd level, saving throw)

So basically:
You can still heal pretty well via Goodberry (Wisdom-independent).
You loose your anti-horde spells, but - hey, Fireball!
You get control from your Wizard-spells too.
You actually do loose animal friendship. How will you live!

The reverse is also true - plenty of Wizard-spells do not require Intelligence. Though it'd rather loose the ranger spells than the Wizard spells.
Alternatively, you could take Magic Initiate, pick Shillelagh and only fight with Clubs/Quarterstaves. That way you can ditch Strength/Dexterity and go for both high Wisdom and Intelligence.

And Ranger/Wizard mixes do have a history in D&D. The most iconic to me was Valygar Corthala from Baldurs Gate II, who was basically a Ranger who could cast several Wizard-spells.

That is an excellent point. I hadn't thought of that. My Intelligence is of course lower than my wisdom. Both are average. this makes me think it'd be more viable than I originally did.