PDA

View Full Version : Quotes you can build a character off of II: It's never as good the second time around

Pages : [1] 2

Teapot Salty
2014-12-31, 02:21 AM
#1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?357167-Quotes-you-can-build-a-character-off-of)

Hello Everyone! I decided to make this a series after the awesomeness of the first thread. (oh it's so old now though :smalltongue:) It's really simple, post those awesome quotes that you just want to make a character around when you hear them! You can make them up, or quote some(thing)one else. Awesome pieces of artwork are also appreciated. Go nuts.

"Life is worthless, when we take a life, we aren't taking anything of value."-Durzo Blint, The Way of The Shadows

"My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."-Indigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

"Words are wind, and the only good wind is the kind that fills our sails."-Victorian Greyjoy, A Song of Ice and Fire

"Hear me ROAR!"-Lannister motto, A Song of Ice and Fire

HunterOfJello
2014-12-31, 02:47 AM
"Soldiers are issued armour for their flesh and bones, but they must fashion their own for their souls. Piece by piece." -Itkovian, (Memories of Ice)

DCraw
2014-12-31, 05:32 AM
"Either return with your shield or upon it"
- Spartan saying

"The ram has touched the wall"
- Roman proverb. It refers to a policy that surrender would only be accepted before a battle, not after. Once the rams touched the wall, all inhabitants of a besieged city would be put to death.

"If you wish for peace, prepare for war."
- Roman proverb

aspekt
2014-12-31, 06:22 AM
Melee rounds are short, smile while you still have teeth.
(Any bludgeoning damage focused meleer, but a Monk would be best.)

Two wrongs don't make a right, but they do make a good excuse.
(Assassin.)

We are all born mad. Some remain so.
(Mage.)

The world is full of magical things waiting for your sword to grow sharper.
(Adapted from Bertrand Russell.)

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?
(Any drunk dwarf.)

dysike
2014-12-31, 09:05 AM
From The Wardstone Chronicles' character Grimalkin:

"Each day say to yourself that you are the best, the strongest and the most deadly. Eventually you will start to believe it. Finally it will come true."

"Some worship dark gods; others serve the light, but I walk alone."

"A true knight has a strict code of chivalry by which he lives his life; he cannot refuse a challenge and he always keeps his word. I also have a code of honour, but it is flexible."

"All the prey that I hunt I will eventually slay. If it is clothed in flesh, I will cut it. If it breathes, I will stop its breath."

"I am a hunter and also a blacksmith, skilled in the art of forging weapons. I could craft one especially for you; the steel that would surely take your life."

Would all work for a warrior mercenary or assassin.

Jay R
2014-12-31, 05:03 PM
Opening lines from novels that introduced the character's character:

"He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."

"Once there was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

Teapot Salty
2015-01-01, 11:17 PM
"If this is to end in smoke and fire, then let us raise a glass of wine, and all die together."

jaydubs
2015-01-02, 12:37 AM
"Soylent Green is people! We've got to stop them! Somehow!"

Replace soylent green with any commonly used and essential item. Like say... spell components? Though maybe that's more of a campaign idea.

Silus
2015-01-02, 12:41 AM
"Hold my ale and watch this."

"What's the worst that can happen?"

"Well, surely it can't get any worse."

Teapot Salty
2015-01-02, 01:54 AM

I love this a little too much.

Kid Jake
2015-01-02, 01:58 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right, but they do make a good excuse.
(Assassin.)

Very close to my personal motto: "Two wrongs don't make a right, but they DO make us even."

SgtCarnage92
2015-01-03, 11:26 PM
A good number of Firefly Quotes fit here well.

"I aim to misbehave."

"Didn't she shoot you once?"

"Let's go to the crappy town where I'm a hero."

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar."

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

"Mercy is the mark of a great man *stabs*
"Maybe I'm just a good one" *stabs again*
"Well, I'm alright."

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."

"What does that make us?"
"Big damn heroes, sir."

"First rule of battle Little One: Never let them know where you are."
*runs by firing weapon and yelling* " I'm right here! I'm right here! You wanna come in? Yeah you do! C'mon! C'mon!"
"'Course there are other schools of thought"

I can do more, but y'all catch my drift. Various classes and whatnot can be derived. Also, "What'd y'all order a dead guy for?" is going to be an adventure hook in one of my future games.

blacklight101
2015-01-03, 11:31 PM
Set phasers to "Ow, that made me pee blood"!

IZ42
2015-01-03, 11:45 PM
"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."

- Good ol' Will. (Shakespeare if course)

Edit: Almost anything on here (http://mobile.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_funny.html) will suffice for a character.

DCraw
2015-01-04, 09:37 AM
"With the first link the chain is forged; the first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably"
- Bard or (especially) Paladin of Freedom

Clumsyninja23
2015-01-04, 02:05 PM
This is one for a Gnome Fighter I've been wanting to play.
"They said a Gnome could never make a difference. That he was too small to matter. He would show them how wrong they were."

Raimun
2015-01-04, 10:15 PM
"Henderson here. Figured out what the nasties are weak against."
"What's that, Mr. Henderson?"
"Point blank annihilation."

One can only hope for such an inspiration...

Wyntonian
2015-01-05, 12:31 AM
Here's a bunch

"I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings"

"As they sipped their wine we plunged into the cornucopia, quivering with desire and the ecstasy of unbridled avarice."

"Everyone gets everything they want. I wanted to see [something]. And for my sins, they let me."
For a warlock, this could be hell or eternity. For a cleric, this could be heaven.

“In our village, folks say God crumbles up the old moon into stars.”

“She wasn’t doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”
Good for a superpowerful psion or something.

“What are men to rocks and mountains?”
Dwarves, man.

“She was becoming herself and daily casting aside that fictitious self which we assume like a garment with which to appear before the world.”

“I celebrate myself, and sing myself.”
Bards.

“There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights."
Paladins, honestly.

"I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more."

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

"I am the pistol saying 'I will only say this once.'"

"We all owe death a life."

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

"I don't like people who have never fallen or stumbled. Their virtue is lifeless and of little value. Life hasn't revealed its beauty to them."

"Power comes out of the barrel of a gun"

"Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."

"And as he drove on, the rain clouds dragged down the sky after him for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God."

"Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

"I am not the only monster on these moors."

"If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell."

Sorry for any duplicates.

GorinichSerpant
2015-01-07, 12:14 AM
"Who are you"
"I am a good fairy"
"Then why do you have a bloody axe?"
"Clearly you know nothing about good fairys"
-A joke translated from Russian, I have no clue who made it up.

DoctorGlock
2015-01-07, 10:24 AM
I've definitely used Nietzsche to inspire a few villains over the years, particularly 'The Will to Power'

"Anything which is a living and not a dying body... will have to be an incarnate will to power, it will strive to grow, spread, seize, become predominant - not from any morality or immorality but because it is living and because life simply is will to power... 'Exploitation'... belongs to the essence of what lives, as a basic organic function; it is a consequence of the will to power, which is after all the will to life."

If there is something to pardon in everything, there is also something to condemn.

Morality is 'the mediocre are worth more than the exceptions'

Qwertystop
2015-01-07, 12:31 PM
"... it stops looking like the laws of physics, and it starts to look like the law."
- Fine Structure

Teapot Salty
2015-01-11, 09:01 PM
"Fear is a weapon."

"A knife in the dark is worth a thousand swords."

"I will stand PROUD under the sun, and show you all to fear my ire."

SgtCarnage92
2015-01-12, 10:02 PM
Are song lyrics fair game?

"I was born a six-gun in my hand. Behind the gun, I'll make my final stand."
-Bad Company by Bad Company (on the album...guess what...Bad Company)

PF Gunslinger, but you can replace "six-gun" with almost anything and have a pretty awesome bandit/mercenary character.

"As new blood joins this earth, and quickly he's subdued. Constant Pain. Disgrace. A young boy learns their rules."
-The Unforgiven by Metallica

"I hurt myself, today. To see if I still feel. I focus on the pain. The only thing that's real."
-Hurt by Nine Inch Nails (and expertly covered by Johnny Cash)

"My mother was a witch. She was burned alive."
-Am I Evil? by King Diamond

Zalphon
2015-01-15, 02:21 AM
-"I reject your reality and choose to in put my own."

-"No Gods, No Kings, Only Man!"

-"..."

-"A thousand personae, countless lies, only the gods know who I even am anymore."

-"Foul, putrid, disgusting, what a pathetic mockery of civilization."

"A little harsh, don't you think? My parents are Kobolds, don't you remember?"

goto124
2015-01-15, 02:31 AM
-"No Gods, No Kings, Only Man!"

- "No, sexist! Only Women!"

- "No, BOTH of you are sexist! Only Humankind!"

- "Racist!"

- "Can we just stop arguing already?'

NikitaDarkstar
2015-01-15, 03:35 AM

...And now my dwarves will forever be rednecks rather than Scottish/viking rip-offs. Not sure if I should thank you for that or not.

Teapot Salty
2015-01-16, 12:29 PM
"No matter how many try to strike me, they always seem to miss."-Jaime Lannister, a Game of Thrones.

Brendanicus
2015-01-16, 01:03 PM
Sacrificing minions! Is there any problem it can't solve? -Xykon

(Any summoning-focused character. Or evil bard.)

Suichimo
2015-01-16, 01:57 PM
A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth. What Miss Kaoru says is sweet and innocent talk that only those whose hands have never been stained with the blood of men can believe. But, to tell you the truth, I much prefer Miss Kaoru's sweet and innocent talk over the truth, indeed I do!

-Kenshin Himura (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCu9RDh4omo&feature=player_detailpage#t=989)

Michael7123
2015-01-17, 08:41 AM
"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."-Petyr Baelish

Joe the Rat
2015-01-17, 06:40 PM
...And now my dwarves will forever be rednecks rather than Scottish/viking rip-offs. Not sure if I should thank you for that or not.
The Redrocks of Teluria are a thing of wonder to behold in action, like some sort of ale-fueled Catherine wheel of destruction and mayhem.

Just make sure you're standing upwind.

Winds
2015-01-17, 10:49 PM
"We do not belong here."

"Anyone could be immortal. You see Death, tell him 'You first'.

...Hard part is making it stick."

"It's a walking stick. But it cuts sharper than the finest sword, because I will it so."

Mr.Cobalt
2015-01-17, 11:46 PM
For those who want to play Paladin but don't want to be a holier-than-thou stick in the mud:

"Good men don't need rules; now's not the day to learn why I have so many". -The Doctor

Teapot Salty
2015-01-18, 01:10 AM
May be a slight misquote but-"I am living proof that there are no gods, because non of them would tolerate my existence!"-Durzo Blint

Super Evil User
2015-01-18, 02:16 AM
You mean that little boys ought to keep their promises. Very true: most right and proper, I’m sure, and I’m very glad you have been taught to do it. But of course you must understand that rules of that sort, however excellent they may be for little boys – and servants – and women – and even people in general, can’t possibly be expected to apply to profound students and great thinkers and sages. No, Digory. Men like me, who possess hidden wisdom, are freed from common rules just as we are cut off from common pleasures. Ours, my boy, is a high and lonely destiny.

From the first Narnia book. Applies any spellcaster that considers himself above everyone else. I think it nicely sums up the secret pains of that mindset.

Waker
2015-01-18, 11:55 AM
“We will accompany the inkpot until our death.”

"I'm so old now. I used to have so much mercy. You get one warning. That was it."

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."

"How many crimes are committed simply because their authors could not endure being wrong?"

“All things that have been in this world, all things that are or will be in it, have to vanish: we have our sad farewell to give them.”

ComatosePhoenix
2015-01-18, 11:47 PM
Excuse any repeats, Missed the first thread

"I have never lost a fair game... or played one." - Obvious rogue is obvious

"Gentlemen, we are going to need more corn" - Farmer out of his place

"put this apple on your head" - showoff character that speciallizes in throwing, shooting, force bolting etc.

"My mother always said: If you want something done right, waste the guy yourself... I am paraphrasing of course" - Comedic Lawful evil character

"Fools make feasts, but wise men eat them"
- Lawful evil manipulative bastard

"Mrghlbrbleglble"
- I am sorry, I like murlocs

"Time for a bit of a rough and tumble"
-
"Just kick em in the face till they're dead"
- Evil jerk ringleader
"I thought we were badasses together? I kicked that guy in the face like fifteen times!"
- the gnome who doesn't contribute much to fights

"The truth shall set you free"
- Sticker for the rules paladin

"As a career the buisness of a orthodox preacher is about as successful as that of a celluloid dog chasing an asbestos cat through Hell"
- A very pragmatic Cleric

JNAProductions
2015-01-19, 03:02 AM
I've had enough of bad things to happening to me. It's time for me to start happening to bad things.
-Paraphrased from Harry Dresden

goto124
2015-01-19, 04:54 AM
'I activate Divine Sense.'
- Paranoid Paladin

I can picture a lot of DMs decreeing that just to shut the paladin up.

"I activate Divine Sense."

"Okay, geez! I'll just assume you're using it all the time."

This kind of happened with my character casting Shillelagh every time he had a bonus action free. My DM finally said "We're just going to assume you have Shillelagh going if you've had any unused bonus actions in the last minute since a combat has started!"

TheThan
2015-01-20, 04:20 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, the great quotes of Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

"Frankly, destruction is best left to professionals."
"Yes, I think ‘toast' is an appropriate description."
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."
"Anybody want some . . . toast?"
"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

Now on to some other good ones:

good, bad, I’m the guy with the gun- Ash Williams, housewares
I may be bad, but I feel good Deadite Sheila,
I prepared explosive runes this morning Vaarsuvius

How about some mottos:
“Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill”- my dad’s motto
“ There’s no obstacle that cannot be overcome by the judicious use of high explosives”- my uncle’s motto
“The world is not enough” James Bond’s family motto

goto124
2015-01-20, 04:53 AM
Your uncle is V?

khadgar567
2015-01-20, 06:09 AM
Excuse any repeats, Missed the first thread

"My mother always said: If you want something done right, waste the guy yourself... I am paraphrasing of course" - Comedic Lawful evil character

"Fools make feasts, but wise men eat them"
- Lawful evil manipulative bastard

nice one here one gem from mine that freshly mined
life is a Sengoku period and we are shoguns of our destinies

Joe the Rat
2015-01-20, 09:18 AM
Your uncle is V?
Well, that question's answered now.

No... V's is specifically regarding social situations rather than as an all-purpose tool. V knows that some situations don't require explosives. Some situations require a giant glowing fist.

...and to be on topic:
"Have you considered accepting the Death Domain as your personal Path to Enlightenment?"

Tvtyrant
2015-01-20, 04:59 PM
"It's true that there are things that I don't want to cut. But let me ask you something. Have you ever met a cornered beast that you were sure wouldn't bite? Because I haven't." Roanoa Zoro on killing women.

miner3203
2015-01-20, 08:00 PM
"And Sir Robin-the-not-quite-as-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot, who had nearly fought the Dragon of Agnor, who had nearly stood up to to the vicious Chicken of Bristol, and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill."

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

nedz
2015-01-20, 08:29 PM
"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Some are born mediocre, some achieve mediocrity, and some have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three.

A good number of Firefly Quotes fit here well.

"I aim to misbehave."

"Didn't she shoot you once?"

"Let's go to the crappy town where I'm a hero."

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar."

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

"Mercy is the mark of a great man *stabs*
"Maybe I'm just a good one" *stabs again*
"Well, I'm alright."

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."

"What does that make us?"
"Big damn heroes, sir."

"First rule of battle Little One: Never let them know where you are."
*runs by firing weapon and yelling* " I'm right here! I'm right here! You wanna come in? Yeah you do! C'mon! C'mon!"
"'Course there are other schools of thought"

I can do more, but y'all catch my drift. Various classes and whatnot can be derived. Also, "What'd y'all order a dead guy for?" is going to be an adventure hook in one of my future games.

Also these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xShWbhkFI).

TheThan
2015-01-20, 10:20 PM
Your uncle is V?
I get that a lot, no. However they do share some of the same ideas.

Anyway on to more quotes:
“A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His might upholds the weak
His word speaks only truth
His wroth undoes the wicked”

-The Old Code (from Dragon Heart)

“How do you win a swordfight?
You have to study your opponent, how he moves, so you know what he does before he does it.
You have to know that one moment in every fight when you win or lose, and you have to know how to wait for it.
And you have to not care whether you live or die.”

-Lancelot (from First knight... ok i sorta modified the quote to fit but it works)

Also the great quotes of Jack Burton

“It’s all in the reflexes”
“Have you paid your dues Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail!”
“May the wings of liberty never lose a feather”
“This is going to take Cracker jack timing”
“I was born ready”
“Where the hell are we?”
“ok here’s the deal, I run interference, you bring up the rear, can you handle that?”
“is it hot in here or is it just me?”
“afraid? Are you kidding?”

Waker
2015-01-21, 01:20 PM
I did mostly historical quotes last time, but this time I'll show a few lines from the inventor of the Xanatos Gambit.

Owen Burnett: Actually Mr. Xanatos, I believe he's right. You've never looked more heroic.
David Xanatos: A momentary lapse, I assure you.

Elisa Maza: [to Goliath] Don't listen to him. It's a trick! He couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it!
David Xanatos: But my life doesn't depend on this. It's Fox's life we're talking about.

David Xanatos: Better watch out Owen. This MacBeth may be gunning for your job. He's already died for me once on this project. It's hard to top that.

Hudson: Listen to me Xanatos. What you seek demands a heavy price. I've lived 1100 years, most of my clan is dead and dust. And I'm a stranger in a strange land. Demona and MacBeth are immortal, has it brought them happiness?
David Xanatos: Save your breath, Hudson. Death and old age have their price as well. And it's too expensive for me.

Petro Xanatos: [regarding the castle] Why do you need all this?
David Xanatos: Oh reason not the need father. I *wanted* it so I *took* it.

David Xanatos: Long time no see Goliath. I'm flattered you showed up just so I could use you as bait.
Coyote 4.0: This trough is filled with acid. In ten minutes, it's going to do a rather nasty job on that soil carving, not to mention your rugged good looks.
David Xanatos: It's my first real stab at clichéd villainy. How am I doing?

David Xanatos: You know the answer to that, Owen. Pay a man enough and he'll walk barefoot into Hell.

David Xanatos: Revenge, as they say, is a sucker's game.

DigoDragon
2015-01-22, 09:07 AM
I love this quote--

She looked up from her dossier and saw that Ace had won a sizable amount of bits from the other two. Ace infuriated her. He never had problems getting along with others, and even seemed to enjoy it. To a certain extent, this was to be expected; Chrysalis had expended no small measure of resources in endowing him with the charisma, cunning, and magical prowess to become a supremely skilled infiltrator. But everything he did to make friends was annoyingly genuine, in a manner no self–respecting changeling would tolerate. He was also an idiot. Maddeningly, it did not seem to impede him in the slightest. Some changelings were born lucky.

Mr.Sandman
2015-01-22, 09:55 AM
I tried to talk. I want you to remember that. I tried to reach out, I tried to understand you but I think that you understand us perfectly. And I think you just don’t care. And I don’t know whether you are here to invade, infiltrate or just replace us. I don’t suppose it really matters now. You are monsters. That is the role you seem determined to play. So it seems I must play mine. The man that stops the monsters.

The Doctor had some great ones for Paladins.

Joe the Rat
2015-01-22, 04:03 PM
The Doctor had some great ones for Paladins.
From the same incarnation:
I am not a good man! I'm not a bad man. I'm not a hero. I'm definitely not a president, and no, I'm not an officer. You know who I am?

I... am... an idiot. With a box and a screwdriver. Passing through. Helping out. Learning."

And here's the newest addition to my Saturday Night game. This sold me on the character.

The Dwarf who hired me, put me in the morgue. He figured, “This is safe enough, what’s the worst he can do here?”

gom jabbarwocky
2015-01-22, 05:12 PM
I once had a PC with the following motto; "You can't murder all of your problems!"

By the end of the game, it warped into, "You can't murder all of your problems. But you can murder some of them."

Silus
2015-01-23, 12:08 AM
"I had strings, but now I'm free. There are...no strings on me..." -Ultron

Now put that in a Smaug like growl and give it to a sentient-AI in the body of a large robot dragon and you have one of the BBEG/NPCs I'm working on for my campaign.

Vereshti
2015-01-23, 09:53 PM
As long as we're quoting the Doctor:

"I don't believe you've met my young friend Ace, an expert in calorification, incineration, carbonization, and inflammation."

Perfect for a mad bomber alchemist!

"Haven't you heard? They've got us surrounded. The poor bastards."
~American soldier during the Battle of the Bulge

Kid Jake
2015-01-23, 10:38 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/UnLegend/cow_zpsec112667.jpg

Can't remember where I originally heard the quote, but it inspired me to make an awakened cow/frenzied berserker that makes me smile just thinking about it to this day.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-01-23, 10:39 PM
"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. Benefits of a classical education." - Hans Gruber, messing up this quote:

"Is it not worthy of tears, that, when the number of worlds is infinite, I have not yet become lord of a single one?" - Alexander the Great

LooseCannoneer
2015-01-24, 02:18 PM
Big pile of Doctor Who quotes here:

You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the world. This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself!

Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.
And what would that be, sir?
Me.

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

What do monsters have nightmares about?
Me.

Well, neither am I, but if we both keep pretending to be, perhaps others will be heroes in our name. Perhaps we will both be stories and may those stories never end.

I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.

Teapot Salty
2015-01-25, 10:47 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/UnLegend/cow_zpsec112667.jpg

Can't remember where I originally heard the quote, but it inspired me to make an awakened cow/frenzied berserker that makes me smile just thinking about it to this day.

It was in the first thread, one of my favorites.

Kid Jake
2015-01-25, 10:52 PM
It was in the first thread, one of my favorites.

I think I was the one who posted it over there, only without the handy visual aid. :smalltongue:

DCraw
2015-01-26, 06:54 AM
"I am often wrong, but never in doubt."

Silus
2015-01-26, 07:30 AM
"There’s a point where we needed to stop and we have clearly passed it, but let’s keep going and see what happens."

Teapot Salty
2015-01-29, 12:41 AM
Have we done the Engineer yet?

"Look buddy, I'm an engineer, and that means that I solve problems. Not problems like "what is beauty?" Because that would fall under your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems. For instance, how do I stop some big mean mother Hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: use a gun, and if that don't work? Use more gun. Like this heavy caliber, tripod mounted little old number, designed by me, built by me, and you best hope, not pointed at you."

DCraw
2015-01-29, 07:50 AM
"The horny Bard does not represent us."

"So, how much exp do I get for [PKing] the Bard?"

"Stay your threats, you have no power here" [zap] "As if killing the Bard impresses us..."

Kid Jake
2015-01-29, 11:27 PM
"Stay your threats, you have no power here" [zap] "As if killing the Bard impresses us..."

I think that was my favorite line from the whole movie, or at least the one I've repeated the most.

King of Casuals
2015-01-30, 01:32 PM
I am the rocks and the rivers and the skies! I am the spiders who whisper in the night, the wolves whose howls echo across the mountains! I am druid. Hear me roar. (Druid)

I see no reason to follow the laws of mankind when those laws may be so easily abandoned. No, my people abide but one law, one law that all creatures, domestic or feral, understand without question. That law is the law of the wild: only the strong survive. (Chaotic neutral melee based druid)

*puts hand on the shoulder of captured sailor* You know when I was your age I was a lot like you. Reckless. Brave. Uncompromising in the face of authority. Though in all of my years of being a pirate there was one very importan lesson that stood out the most. Never stand on the edge of a ship in shark infested waters. *pushes crewman overboard and grins as he is eatin alive* Classic. (Evil Pirate)

Jay R
2015-01-30, 07:05 PM
“That’s not a knoife. That’s a knoife.”

“And what do we say to Death?” “Not today.”

"El Kabong!"

“A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!”

“Of course he has a knife! He always has a knife, we all have knives! It's 1183 and we're all barbarians!”

"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

"They may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!"

“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.”

Teapot Salty
2015-02-01, 06:46 PM
"This is MY world! You are not welcome in MY world!"-The Soldier.

Lord Raziere
2015-02-01, 07:27 PM
"No one is above justice. Not even gods."

"On the streets, morality is just a luxury you hope in vain to have like jewels or gold someday."

"I once tried to take over the world, I failed. I regret every moment of it."

Arbane
2015-02-01, 08:04 PM
"This is MY world! You are not welcome in MY world!"-The Soldier.

"If God had wanted you to live, He would not have created me!" - The Soldier.

Teapot Salty
2015-02-01, 10:51 PM
"If God had wanted you to live, He would not have created me!" - The Soldier.

"Don't bring bats to a battlefield kid-war is not a game"-The Soldier

"You cannot run from me, my gun is faster!"-The Soldier.

"Stop hiding behind your toys and FIGHT LIKE A MAN!"-The Soldier

"This is not a camping trip, Sheila, this is war, AND I LOVE IT!"-The Soldier

"You will not turn my battlefield into a campground!"-The Soldier

"The next time you want to kill a man, LOOK HIM IN THE EYES!"-The Soldier

"Your white flag does not stop American bullets!"-The Soldier

"You are surrounded!...At least from this side!"-The Soldier

Zayuz
2015-02-07, 03:01 PM
I think I can remember a few..

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"

"Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack."

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

"It's better to stay in the gray than to get eaten by the dark."
(I honestly wanted to try a 5e Paladin/Necromancer because of this one, even though it would be pretty bad)

"A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested"

"The risk I took was calculated. But man am I bad at math.."

"Be polite, Professional, and have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

“People leave you out in the cold and get mad when you learn how to get warm by yourself.”

"I'm very much alive, and I intend to stay that way"

"If in order to kill the enemy you have to kill an innocent, don't take the shot. Don't create more enemies than you take out through some immoral act."

"I've survived a lot of things, I'll probably survive this."

"I cast ROCK!"
— Ogre Hulking Hurler as he throws a hobbit-sized rock

Rakoa
2015-02-07, 04:41 PM
This, from a game today:

Paladin: "How many people has Mike killed?"
Cleric: "I don't know."
Paladin: "Exactly. We have to stop him before he does!"

goto124
2015-02-08, 08:00 AM
"___ is an Epic-level challenge."

Originally from Durkon in the last panel of this OotS (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0215.html) strip. He said 'love', but I figured it could be replaced by something else and still work well.

thirsting
2015-02-08, 08:50 AM
"Everything that I wish, is a wish from above." (Samael; Quasar Waves)

Gettles
2015-02-09, 06:03 AM
"The world is teeming with unnecessary people.
It is God's decision that I fight.
As a knight of honor, as a protector of the seal, I sacrifice myself to the blood of criminals."

DCraw
2015-02-09, 08:45 AM
8-bit Theater is a treasure trove for this.

"Love is a very powerful force. Even more so when it's focused into a coherent beam of destruction. Every time I cast Hadoken, it siphons away some of the love in the universe. I'm not sure how much, but I'm given to understand the divorce rate goes up with each blast."

"Why, it would take some kind of insane megalomaniacal fiend to take pleasure in wielding the tapestry of creation to focus pure energy into reality through nothing more than the force of my own will, the rush of electricity through my being, the power—my god, the POWER! ITS THE ONLY TIME I FEEL ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!"

"Y'know, I think my favorite thing about being a hero of destiny is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in your way."

"Look, the truth is we're light warriors and we're not very good people"

Black Mage: I found out what zombies are weak against.
Red Mage: Oh?
Black Mage: Point blank annihilation.

"I should have mentioned this at the beginning. I solve my problems through violence."

"I know the difference between right and wrong. I just don't care."

Driz'zl: What do you think you're doing?
Black Mage: I'd say I was joining the winning team, but that'd imply there existed a time when I wasn't on Team Evil.

Black Mage: Jeezy chreezy, Fighter! Did they drop you on the head as a child? Often?
Fighter: Hm... [Has a flashback] Mmm! Power lines and paint chips! My childhood rocks! [Back to present] Nope, why?

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed!"

"My plans are always practical! It's the laws of physics that get in the way of my success."

Black Mage [seeing mutant Chocobo created by Red Mage]: What is it?!
Red Mage: We went over this. Fruits of Genius. All it required was a cocktail of dangerous, experimental surgery and a willingness to ignore the unnecessary suffering of perfectly innocent beings! Also, I shot magic into their chromosomes until they turned inside-out. Evolution is my bitch.

"According to a loose enough definition of 'hero', we qualify. Well, more or less. The point is that good deeds were done and we were nearby."

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic can not be stopped. The success or failure of any given step will have no impact on the macro level."

Thief: Hey, quick question. Do you believe anything you say?
Red Mage: All of it. Without qualification. Except for this: given a very wide range of interpretations of both: the things I say and the meaning of the phrase 'all of it'.

"We have a saying where I come from. In your boorish, lackluster tongue, it would roughly translate... "Shut up, and give me all of your monies and fineries". Since I've already contractually ensured the monies, I request the shut up."

"How else do you suggest [Dragoon] destroy the world's only hope for survival? Identify the real heroes, delay them, then join a band of easily duped rubes, become their leader, and trick them into questing across the world only to stab them all in the back at the last minute? At least, that's what I would do."

Thief: Look at us now, we're not even fit to murder a hobo. How are we going to save the Aristocracy from the Poor?
Red Mage: You mean, 'The World from Destruction'.
Thief: That's what I said.

"I, gentlemen, am Sarda. And that makes me the Wizard Who Did It!"

"'Wizard'? Are you kidding me? Wizards do parlor tricks. I throttle the Heavens."

Princess Sara: Dad, your approval rating is slightly lower than a hole in the head.
King Steve: Oh, I'm sure they're exaggerating like the infinitely stupid morons they are.
Princess Sara: Well, the poll only had two choices. One, be ruled over by King Steve forever. Two, get a sword through your head. We lost 52% of the participants.
King Steve: Tough but fair.

"This new holiday involves dressing up and going to your neighbor's houses to demand goods. Only there's just one costume: a Cornerian soldier. And we send about thirty thousand of them to our neighboring countries. And there are no tricks or treats, only rape and murder."

Suffice to say, most of these quotes area really only suitable for the BBEG or a CE campaign.

goto124
2015-02-09, 10:18 AM
"Why, it would take some kind of insane megalomaniacal fiend to take pleasure in wielding the tapestry of creation to focus pure energy into reality through nothing more than the force of my own will, the rush of electricity through my being, the power—my god, the POWER! ITS THE ONLY TIME I FEEL ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!"

"Someone needs to get laid."

cesius
2015-02-09, 11:57 AM
"The world turns, the dawn comes, and under the light of the sun I shall slay giants." (http://dresdencodak.com/2014/06/09/dark-science-32/)

Electrohydra
2015-02-10, 08:58 AM
Some ones I really like from M:tG.

For a last stand game :
No one spoke. There was no need. The threat of the Eldrazi presented a simple choice: lay down your weapons and die for nothing, or hold them fast and die for something.

Any character that looks like not much.
"Yes, I'm alone. No, I'm not worried."

How heroic adventurers come to be.
"Duty, honor, and valor are either in your heart or they are not. You will never know for certain until you are tested."
—Ajani Goldmane

Optimistic good PC. Maybe a paladin of Freedom?
"Virtue is an inner light that can prevail in every soul."

Demon summoner
"As with any malevolent being, the trick is knowing how long you can afford to keep it in your service."
—Liliana Vess

A necromancer with a sense of humor
"Stop complaining. You can rest when you're dead. Oh—sorry."
—Liliana Vess

Michael7123
2015-02-11, 04:22 PM
A Lawful Neutral Knight, or any lawful nuetral character really.
"Good God! it is very easy to be kind; the difficulty lies in being just. - Javert, Le Miserables (Full monolouge here (http://monologuearchive.com/h/hugo_004.html))

DigoDragon
2015-02-12, 11:54 AM
Inspiration that led to one of my current characters:

"No matter what you do, or say or plot, no matter how you come down on us… I will never, ever harm you. You're on this table, you're safe. 'Cause I'm your medic, and however little we may like or trust each other, we're on the same crew. Got the same troubles, same enemies, and more than enough of both. Now, we could circle each other and growl, sleep with one eye open, but that thought wearies me. I don't care what you've done, I don't know what you're planning on doing, but I'm trusting you. I think you should do the same. 'Cause I don't see this working any other way." --Simon Tam

kellbyb
2015-02-12, 02:25 PM
Some ones I really like from M:tG.

For a last stand game :
No one spoke. There was no need. The threat of the Eldrazi presented a simple choice: lay down your weapons and die for nothing, or hold them fast and die for something.

Any character that looks like not much.
"Yes, I'm alone. No, I'm not worried."

How heroic adventurers come to be.
"Duty, honor, and valor are either in your heart or they are not. You will never know for certain until you are tested."
—Ajani Goldmane

Optimistic good PC. Maybe a paladin of Freedom?
"Virtue is an inner light that can prevail in every soul."

Demon summoner
"As with any malevolent being, the trick is knowing how long you can afford to keep it in your service."
—Liliana Vess

A necromancer with a sense of humor
"Stop complaining. You can rest when you're dead. Oh—sorry."
—Liliana Vess

Don't forget the pyromancer:
"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire.
—Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Templarkommando
2015-02-15, 01:57 AM
"War should be the only study of a prince. He should consider peace only as a breathing-time, which gives him leisure to contrive, and furnishes as ability to execute, military plans."
~Niccolo Machiavelli~

Lord Raziere
2015-02-15, 02:26 AM
"I'm sorry but I have to tell you: I'm not an all conquering hero. My sword is broken and my cape is in tatters. But I'll keep trying to save the day anyways, because it is right."

"The road to a better world, like any great successful endeavor doesn't go in a straight line. People who think in straight lines only end up making things worse! Therefore to make the world better it requires someone who thinks in curves as much as possible! It requires me."

"Don't mess with me kupo, I can blow things up with my mind."

Teapot Salty
2015-02-18, 12:47 AM
"There is only one god, and his name is death, and what do we say to death? Not today."-Syrio Forel.

Feddlefew
2015-02-18, 12:55 AM
"AM I MISSING AN EYEBROW?"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

-Adam Savage

ArqArturo
2015-02-18, 12:55 AM
"Like most others, I was a seeker, a mover, a malcontent, and at times a stupid hell-raiser. I was never idle long enough to do much thinking, but I felt somehow that some of us were making real progress, that we had taken an honest road, and that the best of us would inevitably make it over the top. At the same time, I shared a dark suspicion that the life we were leading was a lost cause, that we were all actors, kidding ourselves along on a senseless odyssey. It was the tension between these two poles - a restless idealism on one hand and a sense of impending doom on the other - that kept me going.”
― Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary

Teapot Salty
2015-02-21, 12:48 PM
"Pain is just weakness leaving the body!"-Bruce Lee

"I will not break, I will not bow, I will not fall. I will stand proud under the sun, I will stand proud in the eye of the storm. And I will gather my friends and take us forth, and show you that you truly should fear my ire."-Developing poetry from myself.

"Let go your earthy tether, enter the void, and become wind."-Guru Laghima/Zaheer.

Silus
2015-02-22, 03:34 AM
"I think this calls for something heroic."
"I think you mean reckless."
"...There's a difference?"

BootStrapTommy
2015-02-22, 03:40 AM
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -Gen. James N. Mattis

Jormengand
2015-02-22, 07:15 PM
Hell exists, and it sprang from the nightmares of mortals.

You will curse my name to the heavens and the heavens will side with me.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Reprimand
2015-02-22, 07:48 PM
Matthew: Listen, Guy. There’s a story of a famous knight you should know. One day, this knight received a challenge. His opponent named a time and a place, and he agreed. Then, when his opponent turned to walk off, he cut him down right then and there."

Matthew the Enigmatic Thief

Kyuu Himura
2015-02-23, 12:29 AM
From a campaign I'm DMing

"I'm not fighting 'cause I'm strong. I'm strong 'cause I'm fighting"

"I'm no kind of big hero. It's just everyone I love kept getting hurt and I couldn't take it anymore. So I fought."

"Don't ask me why am I fighting. Honestly, I have no clue how can you live without fighting."

"A man's hero is another man's murderer. Morality can be twisted, but no one doubts a skilled sword hand. I seek to never be doubted."

"I wanna do this because it's hard, to see if I can do it."

"I hate violence. That being said, I hate math, too, but I go to school anyway..."

"The winner of a fight is not the most experienced or talented or even skilled fighter, the winner is the fighter left standing. And let me tell you something: I can't fall"

Rater202
2015-02-23, 02:19 PM
I'm quite fond of pre-slippery slope Alex Mercer's line
"NOTHING WILL PROTECT YOU FROM ME! NOT MEN! NOT WEAPONS! NOT ARMOR!!!"

Works for mad men, berserkers, or anybody else who is just really pissed off.

Tridax
2015-02-24, 06:34 AM
''One cannot be betrayed if one has no people''

And this particular quote said by Rorschach from Watchmen:

"The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else.

Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us."

GreenSerpent
2015-02-26, 10:39 AM
“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms.

BootStrapTommy
2015-02-26, 04:39 PM
"So now you see that Evil will always triumph because Good is dumb." -Dark Helmet

DCraw
2015-02-27, 06:22 AM
"where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"

Teapot Salty
2015-02-27, 11:09 AM
"where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"

Oh man, what's that from? I can't remember

Rater202
2015-02-27, 11:35 AM
Oh man, what's that from? I can't remember

Loony Toons.

Marvin the Martian.

He tried to blow up the earth in his first ever short, with Bugs Bunny.

Teapot Salty
2015-02-27, 01:19 PM
Loony Toons.

Marvin the Martian.

He tried to blow up the earth in his first ever short, with Bugs Bunny.

Oh that takes me back.

"Here I stand"-Mormont house words.

Jormengand
2015-02-27, 04:54 PM
On a similar note...

"Here I am, and here I shall die"
- Attr. Leman Russ, at the battle of Rising Fell.

Some more 40K ones for the hell of it:

"We are not creatures of the shadow but it serves us well."

"In the darkness, all men are equal, save those who embrace it."
- Kayvaan Shrike.

And just for fun...

"KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN!"

I think I actually counted once, and checked that it was definitely eleven copies. Whatever.

Teapot Salty
2015-03-10, 08:06 PM
"Go forth, hero, and meet your destiny"-Everything ever.

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-10, 08:08 PM
"Crush. Kill. Destroy. Swag."

Twice
2015-03-10, 11:38 PM
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Rhaegar14
2015-03-11, 12:34 AM
Some Dark Tower quotes, for my contribution.

"'Go, then. There are other worlds than these.'"

"'I do not aim with my hand. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.'"

"This is your promise that things may be different, Roland. That there may yet be rest. Even salvation.
A pause, and then,
If you stand. If you are true."

ShadowFighter15
2015-03-11, 11:05 PM
For the party's Lawful Evil member: "It's my duty. My duty as a complete and utter bastard!"

Kid Jake
2015-03-11, 11:24 PM
"I'll admit, there's no way I can beat you in a fight; you're just too good. But I haven't come all this way to fight you; I've come to kill you."

Vernal
2015-03-12, 06:59 AM
"WARNING: The behaviors you've developed, guided by our collective experiences in a world dominated by the warmth of sunlight, will not safeguard your life when you enter. YOU ARE LEAVING THE DOMAIN OF THE SUN."

Source. :D (http://what-if.xkcd.com/132/)

Arbane
2015-03-12, 04:16 PM
You could probably build an entire campaign around this one:

"The werewolves are here to save us. Never thought I’d say that."

Adrastos42
2015-03-13, 02:18 PM
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."
-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Ridcully was simple-minded. This doesn't mean stupid. It just means that he could only think properly about things if he cut away all the complicated bits around the edges.
-Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Their eyes said that wherever it was, they had been there. Whatever it was, they had done it, sometimes more than once. But they would never, ever, buy the T-shirt. And they did know the meaning of the word 'fear'. It was something that happened to other people.

I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible.

'"Morituri Nolumus Mori" - "We who are about to die don't want to"
-Terry Pratchett, all three from The Last Hero[/I

Edit:
There be a lot o' men who became heroes cuz they wuz too scared tae run!
-Terry Pratchett, [I]Wintersmith

Silus
2015-03-17, 05:36 AM
"If the world isn't going to love me, then I'll teach it to fear me instead!" - Sweetie Bot, Friendship is Witchcraft

Jormengand
2015-03-17, 04:56 PM
"There are two ways of taking a city: besieging it, or burning it to the ground. One is a cruel, pointless waste of life, done only by the terrible villains of this world who like watching their enemies suffer, scream, and die. The other involves fire."

Loxagn
2015-03-17, 05:00 PM
"The key to strategy is not to merely choose the path which leads to victory. The true key to strategy is to choose so that all paths lead to victory."

roko10
2015-03-18, 04:22 AM
"The way I see it, if I make you well again, and THEN kick your ass, I won't be "bullying the weak" then, now will I?"

Seerow
2015-03-18, 10:38 PM
"Upon him I will visit famine and a fire,
Till all around him desolation rings
And all the demons in the outer dark
Look on amazed and recognize
That vengeance is the business of a man"

Teapot Salty
2015-03-23, 03:00 PM
When engaging with me, you lose by default.

Lord Raziere
2015-03-23, 03:40 PM
"Go forth, hero, and meet your destiny"-Everything ever.

eh, screw that, lets make a different one:

"Destiny? There is no destiny. Go forth and become whatever you want, and if some idiot comes along proclaiming your apart of some stupid prophecy or something? Punch them in the face."

"So let me get this straight: your saying that I'm this chosen one born save the world with a cool sword or something? Yeah, sounds like a con, not falling for it scammer."

"Hm, if I convince a gullible farm boy that he is destined to save the world, give him a sword then set him loose on killing all the monsters in that dungeon, I could then convince him that most of the treasure should go to me as a part of the "prophecy" to show his generosity and thus get rich off of his sword work! Genius."

Kid Jake
2015-03-23, 04:35 PM
"I do not fear my enemies, I pity them. Because they face me."
-Paraphrased from my 3 year old niece.

ArcanaFire
2015-03-24, 05:07 AM
"Bring me my red doublet,
Bring it to me now
I'll wear it in the rigging
When they fire across the bow
Bring me my red doublet
It's all the luck we need
For they may shoot me down
But they will never see me bleed."
-Sea Shanty

"There is no forgiveness in these eyes for any of you but one,
Dispel the mist for now; Melinda is the reason why I've come"
-Opeth

"Ladies and broken gentlemen, the undisputed champ of misery,
And in this corner stands his challenger, the pride of utopia, the greatest thing ever."
-Coheed and Cambria

"Fighting to die is stupid. Men always talk about things like 'backbone' and 'honor' before they throw their lives away, but what's so honorable about being dead? Saying 'I don't want to die' doesn't mean 'I don't want to fight. When I fight, I fight to win."
-Paraphrased from Lina Inverse; The Slayers

"Hallelujah, lock and load."
-Thank You for the Venom; My Chemical Romance

"And I descend from grace
In arms of undertow
I will take my place
In the great below."
-The Great Below; Nine Inch Nails

"It takes more than one taboo to build the perfect freak."
-Its Over, Its Under; Doll's Head

Cluedrew
2015-03-24, 07:23 AM
"As seasons change, grass grows, birds sing and children grow, a thief steals things. And I just happen to be a thief."

"This world that created me, I reject!"

"I protect them not because they need protection from you, but because I'm a man and it is my duty."
*Said by a man about why he was defending a group of (combat trained) women

"I am fighting like a man, it is you who fight like beasts."
*Points if you can figure out what made the man say this.

"I would like to think my definition of manliness is a little more developed than that. If you judge it solely by your ability to impregnate women, or the implement you used to do so, then I think you are, as you might say, compensating for something."
*Same fellow as in the quote above.

"I don't have time to be nice, I don't have time to shake your hand."
-A song whose name I cannot remember

"He used to work for [big company], they value refinement, discretion and subtlety there, guess how long he lasted."
"20 minutes."
"6 months, he is that good."
-The Screaming Staircase

"For the first time that day Toriko bared his teeth. And that moment, every living thing on that island, left its home and fled."
-Toriko

"There are no great people, the people are great."
-Trekkin
*This kind of goes against the usual mantra of role playing games, which is why I think it would make an interesting character.

"Saying you can beat me if you try hard enough is like saying you can jump between two mountains if you get a running start. If you want to come at me, first you should learn to fly."
*Points if this is the BBEG and the party does learn to fly over the course of the adventure.

"Being a hero is hard, if it was easy everyone would do it."

"I'm further away than your sword is long and I can run faster than you, why would I be scared of you?"

"Welcome to the world, will you be staying long?"

"Every day he went out and played in the square, on day when the attacks where light a reporter came and asked him, 'Why do you play music while they are shelling?' 'Why don't you ask them why they shell while I'm sitting here and playing my cello.'"
-Smailovic's Cello

"Let's go fishing."
-Pacific Rim
*You kind of need the context for this one. It comes from the trailer as monsters are crawling out of the sea, and a giant robot is dropped into the water by a drop ship. Meanwhile one of the pilots looks at this partner "Let's go fishing".

That being said, what they all actually mean is up to you.

goto124
2015-03-24, 07:33 AM
"I protect them not because they need protection from you, but because I'm a man and it is my duty."
*Said by a man about why he was defending a group of (combat trained) women

'I dunno why, but I feel like smacking him upside the head.'
- One of the women

"I am fighting like a man, it is you who fight like beasts."
*Points if you can figure out what made the man say this.

"I'm a Druid dammit!"
- Character whose player plays nothing but Druids

Loxagn
2015-03-24, 11:55 AM
"I've always found the Hippocratic Oath to be interesting. 'Do no harm', it says. But every doctor is a murderer and a butcher, after a fashion. We carve up those in our care, commit genocide on bacteria, and quietly murder parasites wherever we see them. But that's just stretching the definition of it. Bacteria aren't people, some would say. But every doctor is trained in triage, the art of deciding which patients should be treated first, based on severity of their illnesses and injuries, and the likelihood they will survive. If a man with a hole in his chest has a one percent chance of survival even with extensive care, but the man with a stomach wound the next bed over will have a fifty percent chance with the same amount of care, you devote your time to the stomach wound. You give the first man painkillers to get him comfortable, and you turn your back while he breathes his last. Sorry, I'm rambling. My point is this:
Every doctor must be, at some level, able to reconcile themselves with murder, if it will serve the greater good. Amputate a hand to save the arm, remove a heart to replace another, kill a man to save a child. This is because we understand. You can't bribe a virus, you can't bully an infection, and you can't reason with a tumor.
You're cancer, a tumor growing on the beating heart of the world. And you can't reason with a tumor, there's really only one cure for it.

You have to cut it out."

Lacco
2015-03-24, 12:32 PM
"Four things come not back -- the spoken word, the sped arrow, the past life, and the neglected opportunity."

(Supposedly Arabian Proverb)

Rad Mage
2015-03-24, 01:27 PM
Time passes, Life ends, Knells call
So hear my prayer.
Birth is naught but death begun
So hear my prayer.
Death is speechless
So hear my Speech.

-Dark Tower

Cluedrew
2015-03-24, 07:11 PM
'I dunno why, but I feel like smacking him upside the head.'
- One of the women

Fair enough, maybe I should have gone with "I thought 'defend women, child and the weak' implies the groups are not the same." On a different note it reminds me of the opposite:

Girl (crying): "Bandits came and chased me, I ran and ran but I couldn't out run them and no one came to defend me, so... so..."
Guy: ... *Looks at pile of dead bandits*
Girl: "I had to defend myself! Why won't anyone save me! I'm a delicate maiden too!"
-(I wish I remembered)

On top of its silliness, I enjoyed we had the "near miss" scene that was resolved by the girl punching the guys in the face.

JNAProductions
2015-03-24, 08:03 PM
From Worm('s TV Tropes Quotes Page):

"Don't underestimate me."
—Skitter, right before she carves out the eyes of a villain that has fought off entire teams of heroes

"I have no idea how the cuss I'm going to do it," my voice was a low snarl, barely recognizable as my own beneath my anger and the noises of the swarm. "But I'm going to make you regret that."
—Skitter, responding to a villain who just murdered some of her people and is the perfect counter to her power

I almost laughed, and some of my humor must have translated in a mental direction to my bugs, because they started making a noise that wasn't speech. I stopped them. It wouldn't have sounded much like laughter anyways. "All of the above? None of the above? Does it matter? Some of us wear the villain label with pride, because they want to rebel against the norms, because it's a harder, more rewarding road to travel, or because being a 'hero' often means so very little. But few people really want to see themselves as being bad or evil, whatever label they wear. I've done things I regret, I've done things I'm proud of, and I've walked the roads in between. The sliding scale is a fantasy. There's no simple answers."
—Skitter's response to a hero asking her where she sees herself on the line between good and evil, heroes and villains

Flechette: And then Skitter waltzes in and...it's like, she slithers right past your defenses.
Yamada: How's that?
Flechette: I can't even put it into words. You run into her, and you can't even look straight at her without feeling your skin crawl. Like when someone's got something wrong with their eye and your own eye starts watering...only with her it's because of the bugs.
Yamada: Okay.
Flechette: And then she talks, and she sounds so idealistic, and naïve. I don't know how you sound idealistic and naïve with a swarm of cockroaches and bees crawling over your face, but she does. And so you let your guard down. And then she starts making sense. And that was the point where Sab- where Parian started lapping it up.
—Interlude 18 (Donation Bonus #3)

"If you're lucky, Imp slits your throat with you none the wiser, or Regent has one of your underlings stab you in the back, and you go quick. If you're unlucky, Bitch's dogs tear you to shreds, and it's a long, drawn-out, painful process. If you're very unlucky, you get the worst of both worlds, and you deal with me."
—Skitter explaining to three other groups of villains why they shouldn't mess with the Undersiders

Clockblocker: You kicked their asses with butterflies.
Weaver: I cheated. The butterflies are superficial, decorative.
Clockblocker: No, no, no. If anyone asks, you kicked their asses with butterflies.
—Clockblocker being the best hero

"Taylor bullied the apocalypse to death."
—roughly 1/4 of the comments on Speck 30.6

DCraw
2015-03-25, 03:12 AM
Maxim 2: A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
Maxim 3: An Ordnance Technician at a dead run outranks everybody

Maxim 6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Maxim 8: Mockery and derision have their place. Usually, it's on the far side of the airlock

Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head

Maxim 14: "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"

Maxim 21: Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him he's lucky just to be alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take tomorrow.

Maxim 25: If the manufacturer's warranty covers the damage you did, you didn't do enough damage.

Maxim 27: Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence

Maxim 28: If the price of collateral damage is high enough, you might be able to get paid for bringing ammunition home with you.

Maxim 29: The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

Maxim 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Maxim 31: Only cheaters prosper.

Maxim 32: Anything is amphibious if you can get it back out of the water

Maxim 33: If you're leaving tracks, you're being followed.

Maxim 35: That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.

Maxim 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.'

Maxim 38: Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients.

Maxim 42: "They'll never expect this" means "I want to try something stupid."

Maxim 44: If it will blow a hole in the ground, it will double as an entrenching tool.

Maxim 49: Every client is one missing payment away from becoming a target.

Rad Mage
2015-03-26, 02:30 PM
You have sown a blood harvest. And I have come to reap.

Belkarseviltwin
2015-03-28, 09:59 AM
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in a storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."

"But what the f--- ever gave you the f--ing idea that Locke was the first name I was actually born with?"

"Four and twenty ponies, trotting through the dark
Brandy for the parson, 'baccy for the clerk,
Lace for a lady, letters for a spy,
So watch the wall, my darling, while the Gentlemen go by"

"The sand of the desert is sodden red,-
Red with the wreck of a square that broke;
The Gatling's jammed and the Colonel dead
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks:
'Play up! Play up! And play the game!'"

"Under the Mountain dark and tall,
The King has come unto his hall!
His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread,
And ever so his foes shall fall!

The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong."

"There was a merry passenger,
A messenger a mariner:
He built a gilded gondola
To wander in and had in her
A load of yellow oranges
And porridge for his provender;
He perfumed her with marjoram,
And cardamom and lavender.

He called the winds of Argosies,
With cargoes in to carry him,
Across the rivers seventeen,
That lay between to tarry him.
He landed all in loneliness,
Where stonily the pebbles on
The running river Derrilyn,
Goes merrily for ever on.
He journeyed then through meadow-lands,
To shadow-land that dreary lay,
And under hill and over hill,
Went roving still a weary way.

He sat and sang a melody,
His errantry a tarrying,
He begged a pretty butterfly,
That fluttered by to marry him.
She scorned him and she scoffed at him,
She laughed at him unpitying,
So long he studied wizardry,
And sigaldry and smithying.

He wove a tissue airy thin,
To snare her in; to follow her,
He made him beetle-leatherwing,
And feather wing of swallow hair.

He caught her in bewilderment,
With filament of spider-thread.
He made her soft pavilions,
Of lilies and a bridal bed,
Of flowers and of thistle-down,
To nestle down and rest her in,
And silken webs of filmy white,
And silver light he dressed her in.

He threaded gems and necklaces,
But recklessly she squandered them,
And fell to bitter quarrelling,
Then sorrowing he wandered on,
And there he left her withering
As shivering he fled away;
With windy weather following,
On swallow-wing he sped away.

He passed the archipelagoes,
Where yellow grows the marigold,
With countless silver fountains are,
And mountains are of fairy-gold.
He took to war and foraying,
A-harrying beyond the sea,
And roaming over Belmary,
And Thellamie and Fantasie.

He made a shield and morion,
Of coral and of ivory.
A sword he made of emerald,
And terrible his rivalry,
With elven knights of Aerie
And Faerie, with paladins
That golden-haired, and shining-eyed
Came riding by, and challenged him.

Of crystal was his habergeon,
His scabbard of chalcedony,
With silver tipped and plenilune,
His spear was hewn of ebony.
His javelins were of malachite
And stalactite - he brandished them,
And went and fought the dragon flies,
Of Paradise, and vanquished them.

He battled with the Dumbledors,
The Hummerhorns, and Honeybees,
And won the Golden Honeycomb,
And running home on sunny seas,
In ship of leaves and gossamer,
With blossom for a canopy,
He sat and sang, and furbished up,
And burnished up his panoply.

He tarried for a little while,
In little isles that lonely lay,
And found their naught but blowing grass.
And so at last, the only way he took, and turned,
And coming home with honeycomb,
To memory his message came,
And errand too!
In derring-do and glamoury,
He had forgot them,
Journeying and tourneying, a wanderer.

So now he must depart again,
And start again his gondola,
For ever still a messenger a passenger, a tarrier,
A roving as a feather does,
A weather-driven mariner."

Cluedrew
2015-03-29, 06:38 PM
Hey, Belkarseviltwin, I was wondering, what sort of characters would you actually make off of some of those? Your first one actually wants me to make a very gentle character with a very scary side that comes out rarely. But some of the others I'm not sure what actual character you would make off of them.

Did you have anything in mind for the others?

Some of mine are rather obscure, "Let's go fishing." is one, it gave me an image of a experienced adventure who sees battling all the crazy monsters as something plain and unexciting, like fishing for slightly dangerous fish.

ShadowFighter15
2015-03-29, 07:06 PM
"I understand it all now! The true reason for my wrath! I could not stand it! There is always some fool who wants to rule the world! Always forcing others to do what they cannot do for themselves! That's why... I pray to no one! Nor will I be prayed to! And above all else... I will never forgive you! For making MY DAUGHTER CRYYYYYYYYYY!"
-Asura's Wrath - Nirvana DLC

goto124
2015-03-29, 08:14 PM
"There is always some fool who wants to rule the world. Always forcing others to do what they cannot do for themselves. That's why I pray to no one. Nor will I be prayed to."

Quote modified for a Chaotic. I think I might want to keep this.

It's also why I don't like the idea of god-worshipping. I guess part of its appeal is the idea that the god is a caring and benevolent one, while I tend to see gods/kings/authority figures in general as Lawful Neutrals who care only for themselves.

Teapot Salty
2015-03-29, 10:17 PM
"When in doubt, C4" Jaime Heyneman
"New growth cannot exist without first the destruction of the old" Guru Laghima/Zaheer

She calls like a lover,
she screams for the damned,
to forsake woodland cover,
...an undeniable demand.

She calls me.

I take to the water!
I take to the sea!
none can know,
her call to me.

She calls me.

Far off from my woodland home,
riding on the windswept foam,
standing on the silver sea,
but still she calls me.

She calls me.

Shadows fall on to the sea,
but the moon and stars refuse to flee.
And still, she calls me.
and with the moon and stars so bright,
the shadows fall before the light,

and STILL, she calls me.

they approach like plague-ridden rats,
slinking up the ocean flats,
but with the moon and stars so bright,
they will not escape my sight.

But still she calls me.

So many...
so many to fight,
but how can I fall tonight?
with the moon and stars so bright.

But still she calls me.

The creak and groan of plankwood boards,
the rise and fall of mighty swords,
with the moon and stars so bright,
forever I will fight!
I refuse to die tonight!

But she still calls me.

I blade in throat, and a blade in the thigh,
but tonight WILL not be the night I die,
and with the moon and stars so bright,
I will not fall tonight.

She calls me.

falling into her,

bleeding from my great vain,
filling me with so much pain,
but with the moon and stars so bright,
I will not die tonight,
so long as I stand in light.

I am coming to her.

Clouds cover the moon and stars so bright,
making for the darkest night,
the dark sea, she fills my sight,
swallowing the light.

She is with me.

I will not fall tonight,
I will Rise! I Will Rise!
With a driftwood crown and starlit eyes!
By my hand so many will be fell,
I will send you all back to hell!
I will Rise!
To hunt those that I despise!
With a driftwood crown and moonlit eyes!
The creak and groan of plankwood boards,
the rise and fall of mighty swords,
forever I will fight!
I refuse to die tonight!
I will Rise! I will Rise!
To hunt them down!
With a driftwood crown and vengeful eyes!
Clouds cover the moon and stars so bright,
making for the darkest night,
the dark sea, she fills my sight,
swallowing the light.
I will RISE!
I will RISE!
To hunt down those whom I despise!
With a driftwood crown and vengeful eyes!

Could work for an elf who wants to see the sea one last time.

Rater202
2015-03-29, 10:34 PM
"I am the terror that flaps in the night! I am the [noun] that [verb]s your [other noun]! I am... Darkwing Duck!"
-No Seriously, Guess Who.

NotVeryBatman
2015-03-31, 10:17 PM
"I'm gonna be honest: most of the maneuvers I'm about to teach you will begin and end with the groin."

"I'm gonna kill you!"
"Well, you'd be the first."

"Blessed is the man who has seen too much killing; for not only does he know when to stop, he knows when he must start again."

"I don't want any unnecessary violence. But I ache for necessary violence."

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum."-Terry Pratchett

Reprimand
2015-03-31, 10:23 PM
“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.”

- Roland the Gunslinger

Lord Raziere
2015-03-31, 10:37 PM
"Why would I want to remember the face of my father? I hate him, he is a jerk, I'll just shoot from the hip with both pistols"

"Bah, thats nonsense, what a wise man should fear is people that are unwilling to change."

"I ain't no grasshoppa ya koan-spouting white beard! I'mma beat ya with My First In Your Face Style, from the Dojo of Street!"

Submortimer
2015-04-01, 05:02 PM
Maxim 21: Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him he's lucky just to be alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take tomorrow.

In the same vein:

Maxim 50: Build a man a fire, and you'll ensure he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Lord Raziere
2015-04-01, 06:36 PM
"Tch. All those Maxims are for the inflexible. Me? I say those who rely on whats predictable expose their weaknesses. Exploit those."

goto124
2015-04-01, 08:23 PM
'Where are these people getting quotes to respond to other quotes from?'

Lord Raziere
2015-04-01, 09:55 PM
I'm making them up? what, just because I create my quotes whole cloth doesn't mean they aren't viable.

"There are only three rules of the Order of Seers:
1. Use your Future Sight to guide, not to rule
2. Scry not your own future
3. Uphold honesty, but don't speak needless information."

Belkarseviltwin
2015-04-02, 06:53 PM
Hey, Belkarseviltwin, I was wondering, what sort of characters would you actually make off of some of those? Your first one actually wants me to make a very gentle character with a very scary side that comes out rarely. But some of the others I'm not sure what actual character you would make off of them.

Did you have anything in mind for the others?

Some of mine are rather obscure, "Let's go fishing." is one, it gave me an image of a experienced adventure who sees battling all the crazy monsters as something plain and unexciting, like fishing for slightly dangerous fish.

Well, the second is from The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's definitely a rogue, possibly a changeling- I game with someone who has an LFR changeling who he plays at lots of different cons and gives a different name for the character at each one.

The third is also a rogue, but a different sort of rogue- a smuggler, obviously.

The 4th is a Warlord. Definitely a Warlord. 5th might be one as well, or just a Fighter.

And the 6th? That's a backstory and a half, that is.

Sayt
2015-04-03, 06:53 AM
“I heard it said you must be tender with your sword grip, as though with a lover. This is patently false. A sword is not your lover. It is a hideous tool for separating men from their vital fluids.”

JAL_1138
2015-04-03, 08:42 AM
Hopefully this one hasn't come up already (if so, apologies for the repeat):

"[A]lways moving on, selling glass as diamond, but somehow it just didn’t seem to work any more, the flair wasn’t there, the fun had dropped out of it, even the cards didn’t seem to work for him, the money ran out, and one winter in some inn that was no more than a slum he turned his face to the wall--
--And an angel appeared."

--Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Cluedrew
2015-04-03, 09:21 AM
To: Belkarseviltwin, thanks, there is something about that type of poetry that just confuses me. Not sure why.

"I'm of the option one's life should be under threat at least once a week."

"If you want to be a hero be prepared to die where you stand, be prepared to abandon your position without a fight and be prepared to spend the rest of your life deciding which of those you should do today."

"Excuse me officer, has anyone with [character description] been arrested today?"
"No?"
"Shoot, he is usually here."

DCraw
2015-04-05, 04:43 AM
Tuco: "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Burt: "I am completely out of ammo ... That's never happened to me before ..."
- Tremors 2

sushifreAk
2015-04-05, 10:58 AM
"Alcohol can totally give you a performance boost. Just gotta drink the right amount." - Reddit user

"Sir! I just thought up, like, the COOLEST armor design: all plaid!" - Little Miss Forge, Monster Hunter 4

dramatic flare
2015-04-08, 01:40 AM
A series of Excellent Jack Vance quotes.

"I challenge Destiny, yes, but I do not leap off cliffs."

"I give dignity second-place to expedience."

"They call me a renegade.
The epithet is inaccurate and undeserved. I cannot be faithless to a cause which I never have endorsed. Indeed, I am absolutely faithful to the only cause I espouse, which is my own welfare. I take pride in this unswerving loyalty!

“I watch the sea and the sky; sometimes I wade in the surf and build roads in the sand. At night I study the stars.”

Qwertystop
2015-04-08, 06:51 AM
"They thought I was twins"

JAL_1138
2015-04-08, 07:24 AM
"Well I got a job and put my money away / But I got the kinda debts that no honest man can pay."

"Well our luck may have died and our love may be cold / But with you, forever I'll stay / We're goin' out where the sand turns to gold..."

"Now I been lookin' for a job, but it's hard to find / There's winners and there's losers, and I'm south of the line. / Well I'm tired of gettin' caught out on the losin' end / But I talked to a man last night, gonna do a little favor for him..."

"Everything dies, baby, that's a fact / But maybe everything that dies someday comes back."

--Bruce Springsteen, "Atlantic City" (as performed by The Band)

"And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again / Well I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, don't think so."

"Collected my belongings and I left the jail / Well, thanks for the time, I needed to think a spell / I had to think a while."

--Modest Mouse, "Ocean Breathes Salty"

" 'Twas in another lifetime, one of toil and blood / When blackness was a virtue, and the road was full of mud / I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form / 'Come in,' she said, 'I'll give you shelter from the storm.' "

"And if I pass this way again, you can rest assured / I'll always do my best for her, on that I give my word / In a world of steel-eyed death and men who are fighting to be warm / 'Come in,' she said, 'I'll give you shelter from the storm.' "

--Bob Dylan, "Shelter From the Storm"

Rakoa
2015-04-08, 08:33 AM
“After knowing my true terror, it'll be quite a sight to see how long your sanity will last.”

“You should already be aware of it... The fear you feel toward an existence you can't possibly understand!”

“Everything about me is different from humans! My thought process, my principles, my existence, my foundation... Everything!”

“But regardless of good or evil, there's no deceit in upholding one's convictions.”

“Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!”

goto124
2015-04-08, 09:40 AM
'Meh. Seen that before.'

the OOD
2015-04-08, 02:38 PM
<words>
—roughly 1/4 of the comments on Speck 30.6

you know, it would have been polite to spoiler this for those still reading worm.:smallmad:

roko10
2015-04-12, 09:49 AM
"Honor is for LOOOOOSEEERS!"

"You lost for a reason, [insert BBEG here]. One single, simple reason. You pissed me off."

"Needs more gun/sword"

Wardog
2015-04-18, 05:33 PM
"No man should leave in the universe anything of which he is afraid".
- Gabriel Syme, The Man Who Was Thursday

"So here's what I reckon. We get in there. We find somethin' that looks like it shouldn't be blown up. And we blow it up."
- Samandra Bree, The Iron Jackal

Leviting
2015-04-20, 01:20 AM
"Those who create for/
Another's need/
Will never revel/
They'll only bleed"
-Trivium

JAL_1138
2015-04-20, 10:39 AM
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it." --HHGttG

Delusion
2015-04-20, 11:27 AM
"As far as the Ragnaröks go, she has seen better."

Gracht Grabmaw
2015-04-20, 01:35 PM
"You call me a jack one more time and you can fix that wagon yourself." "Wee Mental" Davey, jack of all trades.

King of Casuals
2015-04-21, 12:40 PM
"I cant believe he's winning against all of us! Is he cheating?" "I dont know, but im cheating and he's still beating me!"

Rhaegar14
2015-04-21, 04:14 PM
"We think we can kill the darkness. Whatever the dark spot on our souls is, we think it can be destroyed. We can defeat it, to be sure. We can chain it and bury it deep. But we cannot kill it. The darkness never truly dies. And the darkness waits."

Lord Raziere
2015-04-21, 04:20 PM
"I'm really getting tired of people saying that darkness is evil. The light can be evil too. So. Very. Evil. It wants to push us to embody our greatest ideals to a burning point, blazing so bright- that we set everything else ablaze. A little darkness can keep us all from going blind."

"The light is entrancing, enticing, promising us a utopia. But that does not mean it is good. It only means it wants to be. Whether it achieves that is an entirely different matter."

"No, the darkness of our souls is something very beautiful- its individuality, its our freedom, our mischievousness. The light can be beautiful to. but neither is beautiful when they grow out of control."

3WhiteFox3
2015-04-21, 07:55 PM
"You're all puppets, tangled in strings... There are no strings on me." - Ultron, Age of Ultron Trailer.
"The Force is strong in my family, my father has it, I have it and my sister has it. You have that power too..." Luke Skywalker, Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer (originally, from Return of the Jedi).

"Listen up, Simon. Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me! Believe in the Kamina who believes in you"
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself"
"Whenever I feel weak or lack confidence, I remember Simon's back as he dug tirelessly. I wanted to become a man whose back would never break!"
Kamina, TTGL

"Even so, I will...! I will believe! I will believe in the me that believes in us, humans and the future! This drill is... my SOUL!"
"MARK MY WORDS...! This drill, will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will be a path for those behind us. The dreams of those who have fallen! The hopes of those who will follow! Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow! And THAT'S Tengen Toppa! That's Gurren-Lagann! My drill is the drill, that creates the HEAVENS! (English Dubbed Version)"
"Our dead friends...the sorrow of the spiral race...we'll take in all their regrets. We'll take it and turn it into power!"
Simon, TTGL

"Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live."
"Prayer is as natural an expression of faith as breathing is of life."
"The best, most beautiful, and most perfect way that we have of expressing a sweet concord of mind to each other is by music."
- Jonathan Edwards

"I shall stick to my resolution of writing always what I think no matter whom it offends." - Julia Ward Howe

Rhaegar14
2015-04-22, 09:56 PM
"I'm really getting tired of people saying that darkness is evil. The light can be evil too. So. Very. Evil. It wants to push us to embody our greatest ideals to a burning point, blazing so bright- that we set everything else ablaze. A little darkness can keep us all from going blind."

"The light is entrancing, enticing, promising us a utopia. But that does not mean it is good. It only means it wants to be. Whether it achieves that is an entirely different matter."

"No, the darkness of our souls is something very beautiful- its individuality, its our freedom, our mischievousness. The light can be beautiful to. but neither is beautiful when they grow out of control."

I like these responses. Really good for a Neutral character who values balance.

roko10
2015-04-23, 04:46 AM
"The world isn't black and white, that's indeed true. What causes problems is when you decide that everybody, even the pyschotic child-murderer and the gentle saint, is exactly the same shade of gray."

"Balance between good and evil, my arse! I don't care what kind of stupid cosmic force is painstakingly leveling the field between those two, it doesn't change the fact that evil/good is, well, good and needs to be stopped."

"Whoever thought compromises is a good idea needs to be compromised. Ha! Get it?"

And a more general one:
"I swear, if I find the guy responsible for [problem], I will cut his heart out with a spoon!"

goto124
2015-04-23, 10:29 AM

May I take this?

Lord Raziere
2015-04-23, 11:17 AM
May I take this?

Why yes of course. Go ahead.

"Hi I'm...(Insert Name Here) I'm kind of this abomination of nature that goes against the natural laws....I'm kind um, kind of lonely......will you be my friend?"

"So you see, you see right? I see the auras of people. All the auras, all the time. Can't even turn it off, I just see the aura of everyone and everything always and forever. I see yours in all its pretty colors, I see the energy flowing through the ground, the buildings the trees, ocean and the air into the sky. Its overwhelming, its indescribable because your blind to it, through their auras I see people in all their ups and down, positives and negatives, its something I have to live with every single second of every single day for my entire life. Its beautiful, I wouldn't trade anything in the world for it."

"I hear the Song Of The World. And it is a cacophony, a riotous, discordant, cacophony."

roko10
2015-04-23, 02:13 PM
"I hear the Song Of The World. And it is a cacophony, a riotous, discordant, cacophony."

"Eh, some people just don't have good taste in music."

Legato Endless
2015-04-23, 05:09 PM
"The world isn't black and white, that's indeed true. What causes problems is when you decide that everybody, even the pyschotic child-murderer and the gentle saint, is exactly the same shade of gray."

Ah, the rebuke to the rationalizer.

"Balance between good and evil, my arse! I don't care what kind of stupid cosmic force is painstakingly leveling the field between those two, it doesn't change the fact that evil/good is, well, good and needs to be stopped."

Along the same theme from an old rp:

"Balance? Seriously? What, is there some cosmic sieve somewhere, and someone ground the universe up when I wasn't looking? And then all those particulates were weighed and measured, their nature unraveled and understood? It must be grand being able to see all that so unerringly, and the wisdom you must be endowed, to determine how all must be apportioned.

What luck that we should have someone like you, who managed to reduce the great menagerie to a cold equation. Now get off the way and let the rest of us live."

"Don't let anybody kid you. It's all personal, every bit of business. Every piece of **** every man has to eat every day of his life is personal. They call it business. OK. But it's personal as hell. You know where I learned that from? My old man. If a bolt of lightning hit a friend of his the old man would take it personal. That's what makes him great. He takes everything personal." -The Godfather

Lord Raziere
2015-04-23, 07:06 PM

"Whoever thought compromises is a good idea needs to be compromised. Ha! Get it?"

"Whoever said good and evil equals and light and darkness? too much of either is evil. Do not miss my point by conflating good with light and evil with darkness, for the greatest evils can sometimes hide in the sun itself. The child-murderer is simply more obvious, and more easily dealt with"

"There is no "balance" between good and evil. However neither is morality inherently tied to certain colors and shades. I pity you when a villain wearing gold and white begin to lie to you."

"Let me know how that attitude works out for you when you need to deal with politicians."

Unseenmal
2015-04-24, 07:23 PM
I draw a good bit of inspiration from Hellraiser well Pinhead really....even for good PCs...

The Priest: You'll burn in hell for this!
Pinhead: Burn? Oh, such a limited imagination!

Pinhead: Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh.
Joey: I don't believe you.
Pinhead: Oh come, you can hear its faint echo right now. I'm here to turn up the volume. To press the stinking face of humanity into the dark blood of its own secret heart.

Save your tears. I'll reap your sorrow slowly. I have centuries to discover the things that make you whimper.

You think your nighttime world is closed to me? Your mind is so naked. A book that yearns to be read. A door that begs to be opened.

What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain

Just after JP has sex wit ha girl and Pinhead "eats" her in Hellraiser 3
Pinhead: What did you see? The same as I. Appetite sated. Desire indulged. You saw the working of the world in miniature
JP Monroe: That had nothing to do with the world. Not this one, anyway.
Pinhead: On the contrary. It has everything to do with the world. And our dreams of how it will succumb to us. You enjoyed the girl?
JP: Yes.
Pinhead: Good. So did I.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for now....Pinhead is a wealth of good quotes for evil/morally questionable quotes for PCs

Cluedrew
2015-04-25, 07:10 AM
"Perhaps I will lose the battle, perhaps I will lose the war, but I will never lose myself."

"You forgot one little thing... a tired old man, just one tired old man."
-Old Ben

"Blood is for butchers, I will give them fire!"
-Durgin Madhammer, War Machine

Command squad bursts in.
Old Man: "You guys had better be hear to sell cookies."
His Dog: *Girrrr*
-Random TV Show

"I'm a professional killer."
[later]
"I suppose you are also a professional in torcher."
"No, no, no, that is more of a hobby."
-One of the Bond movies

Some from Atlantis: The Lost Colony

"What do you have in there."
"Oh, dynamite, nitroglycerin, notepads, flares, black powder, glue, paperclips big ones. You know just office supplies."

"Odre, no offence but how did a teenager become the head mechanic on a multi million dolor expedition?"
"I got the job when my father retired. The thing is my father always wanted sons, one to take over his shop and the other to be heavy weight boxing champion. But he got me and my sister instead."
"Your sister?"
"She is 24 and has a shot at the title next month."

"My family ran the flower shop and it was a nice job but then we would get to that time of year when the girls are trying to get their corsage you know for their prom, and winey wine and it doesn't match my dress. Its a nightmare. Anyways, I guess there was a gas leak next door or something and there was a spark then Boom! No more Chinese laundry." Lights a match. "It was like a sign from the gods, I found myself that boom."

"What's Mole's story?"
"Oh stop right there. Odre don't tell him. You shouldn't of told me, but you did and now I'm telling you: You don't want to know."

Any this is one isn't really about a character more of a plot hook.
"Forget about that, I will find Atlantis on my own, even if I have to rent a row boat!"
"Congratulations Milo, that is exactly what I wanted to hear, but forget about the row boat son, we're going in style."

Gopher Wizard
2015-04-25, 11:50 AM
"If we don't kill nature, how will we build our houses?"

a druid that eventually turns blighter

Jormengand
2015-04-25, 01:22 PM
"If this is what you call evil then I will take your evil and I will run with it."

Strigon
2015-04-25, 08:26 PM
To my knowledge, nobody's done these yet, and I don't know why; Republic Commando is a great source for these!

"A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead.""

"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!"

"Damn, I don't believe it! I've lost count of my kills!"

''Hold on to your guts, boss, while I rip out theirs."

"Some people say that in order to achieve maximum combat effectiveness, they need to get into the zone. Sir, I *live* in the zone. "

"Alone against all these droids....? They don't stand a chance."

"Just point me at the enemy and stay out of my way."

"Rule #1: Kill them before they kill you."

"The boss is down!......can I be in charge now?"

"Enemies go boom sir?"

(After encountering a dead humanoid)
"What happened to him?"
"Ask Sev; he's a dead-bodyologist."

goto124
2015-04-26, 09:34 AM

Light is the Law, Darkness is Chaos. Law is not Good, Chaos is not Evil.

Did I get that right?

Benthesquid
2015-04-26, 11:53 AM
From Moby ****. "Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me."

Lord Raziere
2015-04-26, 01:42 PM
Light is the Law, Darkness is Chaos. Law is not Good, Chaos is not Evil.

Did I get that right?

more like that selfish desires and idealistic dreams for others aren't inherently good or evil. you can be evil but very selfless, and you can be good even if your primarily concerned with your own freedom and desires. if a person has selfish goals but knows when to put those aside when people need help, they're good. if a person has idealistic goals for society but knows when they need to adjust their ideals to better improve society- they are good. but both can be evil as well if the selfish or the selfless man doesn't pay attention to the world around them and is concerned with only their own vision of it

now you might say that that selfish man isn't selfish at all, but I disagree. he has selfish goals but if he can put them aside for a while to do go things, or even gain a benefit from selflessness for his own ends, thats good for everyone and therefore better than if he is just sacrificing his selfishness outright. but I guess you can simplify Law as holding onto codified ideals no matter how Good or Evil they are and Chaos holding onto Freedom and selfish desires no matter how Good or Evil they are....but its still a simplification. the truth is far more complex.

Teapot Salty
2015-05-01, 12:51 AM
"I don't think you understand; I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with ME!"

"What am I looking at? Ashes dead man."

"Confidence without being cocky, pride without arrogance, courage without recklessness, obedience without groveling, pacifism without weakness"-My personal motto.

"Their's no stopping us... and we are coming"-Words (primary and secondary) of the Steelhearted, a clan in a campaign I'm running.

King of Casuals
2015-05-01, 03:20 PM
TN pirate sniper on a crew of CG idiots in One Piece d20: "I can't believe this. We're PIRATES. The terror of the high seas! We're supposed to rape, pillage, and murder, not be nice to the decrepit old man who is trying to confiscate our weapons! No *captain* I'm not going to give up my rifle, you can all get yourselves killed without me."

RandomNPC
2015-05-01, 04:27 PM
All of my life I have had the urge to be better than everyone else.

Cluedrew
2015-05-08, 08:13 PM
All of my life I have had the urge to be better than everyone else.Although this sounds just a bit villainy to me if you include virtuous in better it suddenly becomes a quote for a super-heroic type. I like how it can be view from different angles. Now my new additions:

"Did somebody say anything?!"
-Ross Petti
*Right after this the villain walked on stage.

"There's one underlying scientific principle common to all existence."
"And that would be?"
"Everything explodes."
-Atomic Robo

"That's highly suspicious."
"But not strictly illegal."

"You tried to kill me!"
"Actually, I tried to horribly maim you, there is a world of difference there."
"But-"
"Are we going to take a boat?"
-Salem {A flash game}

"My name is Conrad Greenwood, but everyone calls me Hunter."
"Why"
"Because I hunt."
*Across the Stars

"Parents, right? Welcome to my life."
-KiwiBlitz

"Quite possibly the only person ever to preform open heart surgery... on himself."

"I didn't say it was the smart thing. But it is the right thing."
-Atlantis: The Lost Colony

(Quartz uses the third person.)
"Quartz is the only one left now. Quartz knows when to run and knows when to hide."
... Later ...
"Don't worry, Quartz knows when to run and knows when to hide." Turns to face its doom.

"But school and then more school and then work. There should be more to life then this."
"Wandering dimensions, fighting evil, killing demons and saving the world."
"I'm sorry, who are you?"
"Someone with strange hobbies."

"I remember many things from long ago... anything before the creation of the universe though is just a vague memory of feeling cramped."

"Shhhh... just close your eyes, plug your ears, hum a tune and all the monsters will disappear."

"I expected a slightly more refined strategy from one of the leading demon hunters."
"Blunt force trauma is a perfectly viable way of killing demons."
"You had it in a headlock and were punching it in the face."
"Which is an effective way of delivering blunt force trauma."

boomwolf
2015-05-10, 02:04 PM
Coming from the last widdershines strip, we've got this little gem:

"Y'stole the mark of thieves?"
"Not on purpose!"

Gracht Grabmaw
2015-05-14, 08:30 AM
"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." - Former Minnesota governor Jesse "The Body" Ventura.

MysticMonkey
2015-05-18, 03:15 PM
"The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing. Being a man of action, I can't afford to take that risk."

"I've decided to be a fatalist. All events are preordained and unalterable. Whatever will be will be. That way, if anything bad happens it's not my fault. It's fate."
-both from Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes

Bigby
2015-05-18, 04:06 PM
"We're more fragile than we'd like to believe."
~The Iron Bull~

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."
~Albert Einstein~

Also one I heard today on an older TV show:

"Don't LEAN, don't HASSLE, and don't THREATEN. I happen to be in a very bad mood."
~Rockford~

PrincessCupcake
2015-05-25, 04:14 PM
Not really a quote per se, but this song has had a character built off it for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY3Bwcg4hRg

Centik
2015-05-26, 03:41 AM
*Clears throat*

“I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon.
I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life.
I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in.
I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day.
I have talked to gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.
You may have heard of me.”

- Name of the Wind: Kvothe the Bloodless, the Arcane, the Kingkiller

Jay R
2015-05-26, 07:25 AM
Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot.
Drink up, me hearties, yo ho.
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.

We extort and pilfer, we filch and sack.
Maraud and embezzle and even hijack.

We kindle and char, we flame and ignite.
We burn up the city, we're really a fright.

We're rascals and scoundrels, we're villians and knaves.
We're devils and black sheep, we're really bad eggs.

We're beggars and blaggards and ne'er-do-well cads,
Aye, but we're loved by our mummies and dads,

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-05-26, 10:09 AM
Good, bad, heh....I'm the one with the gun

Lawful/chaotic neutral gunslinger

Jay R
2015-05-26, 11:29 AM
From Glory Road, by Robert A. Heinlein. I suspect that all of my characters have been built off of this quote, at least to some extent.

What did I want?

I wanted a Roc's egg. I wanted a harem loaded with lovely odalisques less than the dust beneath my chariot wheels, the rust that never stained my sword. I wanted raw red gold in nuggets the size of your fist and feed that lousy claim jumper to the huskies! I wanted to get feeling brisk and go out and break some lances, then pick a likely wench for my droit du seigneur--I wanted to stand up to the Baron and dare him to touch my wench! I wanted to hear the purple water chuckling against the skin of the Nancy Lee in the cool of the morning watch and not another sound, nor any movement save the slow tilting of the wings of the albatross that had been pacing us the last thousand miles.

I wanted the hurtling moons of Barsoom. I wanted Storisende and Poictesme, and Holmes shaking me awake to tell me, "The game's afoot!" I wanted to float down the Mississippi on a raft and elude a mob in company with the Duke of Bilgewater and the Lost Dauphin.

I wanted Prestor John, and Excalibur held by a moon-white arm out of a silent lake. I wanted to sail with Ulysses and with Tros of Samothrace and eat the lotus in a land that seemed always afternoon. I wanted the feeling of romance and the sense of wonder I had known as a kid. I wanted the world to be what they had promised me it was going to be--instead of the tawdry, lousy, fouled-up mess it is.

TurboGhast
2015-06-03, 04:31 PM
"Only one duelist can be that annoying!" - Joey, about Mai.

"He doesn't care whether he's rioting about trade rights or just having a drunken brawl. He wakes up every morning eager to smash some heads." - Riot Piker (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=368998)Flavor Text

Lord Raziere
2015-06-03, 05:42 PM
"Y'know, I am a sociopath. I don't care about anybody. Literally! You are all things to me. Yet...I know this is not consider normal to think. At all. That you have this thing called Empathy which I lack. I know that intellectually this is what is supposed to keep all of civilization together. What forms society. I'm even curious about it. Yet I cannot experience it. Is that not absurd?"

Erth16
2015-06-03, 06:33 PM
"It's not enough for me to succeed--Others must fail."
-Kevin Chang

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-06-03, 11:58 PM
It's not just a boulder, it's a rock!
-spongebob

for anyone with a STR higher than 20

JAL_1138
2015-06-05, 09:40 AM
The entirety of "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid (http://youtu.be/ATcOm-NTr_0)" (NSFW, language) by The Offspring, and various pieces thereof in various combinations, is good for a bard or any other charlatan.

"You're Gonna Go Far, Kid"

Show me how to lie
You’re getting better all the time
And turning all against the one
Is an art that’s hard to teach
Another clever word
Sets off an unsuspecting herd
And as you step back into line
A mob jumps to their feet

Now dance, f***er, dance
Man, he never had a chance
And no one even knew
It was really only you

And now you steal away
Take him out today
Nice work you did
You’re gonna go far, kid

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
Hit ‘em right between the eyes
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
See the lightning in your eyes
See ‘em running for their lives

Slowly out of line
And drifting closer in your sights
So play it out I’m wide awake
It’s a scene about me
There’s something in your way
And now someone is gonna pay
And if you can’t get what you want
Well it’s all because of me

Now dance, f***er, dance
Man, I never had a chance
And no one even knew
It was really only you

And now you’ll lead the way
Show the light of day
Nice work you did
You’re gonna go far, kid
(Trust deceived)

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
When you walk away
Nothing more to say

Now dance, f***er, dance
He never had a chance
And no one even knew
It was really only you

So dance, f***er, dance
I never had a chance
It was really only you

With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
When you walk away
Nothing more to say

Clever alibis
Lord of the flies
When you walk away
Nothing more to say

ShadowFighter15
2015-06-16, 04:15 AM
"Pay attention now. You'll tell the truth - wanna know why?
Took me a long time to find you. Wasn't an easy road to travel. I'm angry and tired. Had to talk to people I didn't want to talk to, wouldn't normally talk to. Some of them tried to cheat me, some tried to lie. I didn't like it one bit. I feel like one more lie'd be the last bitter drop in a chalice full of sorrow. And then... then I'd do something I would later regret. Now you know why you can't lie to me?"
-- Geralt of Rivia

Also doubles as a good example of how to get a good, RP-based circumstance bonus on Intimidate rolls.:smalltongue:

Cluedrew
2015-06-19, 08:23 PM
- Name of the Wind: Kvothe the Bloodless, the Arcane, the KingkillerAbout a week before you posted that I picked up that book read the back of the book and internally went "I think I understand why I have heard of this book". Unfortunately I didn't have time to read it.

"Your mistake was thinking the reason I didn't want to fight was because I thought I would lose."

"This situation requires an immediate response!"
"We already sent in some soldiers from an orbital drop." {Hands over a list.}
{Reads list.} "... So we basically nuked it from orbit."

"You ask me who I am, to which in full seriousness and honesty I must reply: I don't know."

"But it seemed like a good idea at the time."
"Yeah no, not really."
-kiwiblitz

"He is like an anti-puppy, the more you kick him the better."

"Make me bleed."
*It sounds very different out of context.

"To mark the revolution,
I'll kick the hornets nest
and be the last one standing
to prove I'm better than the best."

"We're being followed."
"Don't worry, this is a company car." {Hits accelerator.}
-James Bond: Octopussy

"My hand is a knife, my will is a shield, my training is a sword, the steal is but decoration."

"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid."
-Captain Jack Sparrow
*This one I'm actually surprised hasn't come up yet. To the point I wonder if I missed it.

Also, these aren't quotes, short stories more, but the seem to fit to me. They are both about paladins, but different interpretations of paladins. One has a straight heroic heroic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8359242&postcount=1) interpretation, while the other is more edgy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16022130&postcount=2). I considered switching them as a joke, but decided against it.

Belkarseviltwin
2015-06-20, 06:58 AM
One I read last night:

"If your enemy comes to speak bearing a sword, open your door and speak, but keep your own sword at hand. If he comes to you empty-handed, greet him the same way. But if he comes to you bearing gifts, stand on your walls and cast stones down on him."

-The Book of Aedon, from The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams

Of course, best for a game with lots of noble intrigue...

Teapot Salty
2015-06-20, 03:24 PM
"Combat is like chess, except your thinking fast...never mind, your not thinking."

Callak
2015-06-20, 06:19 PM
Be water my friend - Bruce Lee.
There's a man goin' 'round takin' names.
An' he decides who to free and who to blame.
Everybody won't be treated all the same.
There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around. - Jonny cash

JohnTheSavage
2015-06-21, 08:46 AM
"Fate may command I die before the answers are discovered, but an Assassin takes orders from no one."
— Ezio, Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Player Character: "Elves have strange powers."
Sten: "Being easily conquered does not constitute a "power"."
— Dragon Age: Origins

"Don't ever underestimate the will of a grandfather. We're madmen. We don't give a damn. We got here long before you and they'll be here after. We'll make enemies. We'll break laws. We'll break bones, but you will not mess with the grandchildren."
— President Bartlet, The West Wing

Cluedrew
2015-07-05, 01:05 PM
The spoilers are just my thoughts on the quotes and the origin if appropriate. I like to give the quotes a opportunity to speak for themselves.

-Mathew: Spoony Experiment
For anyone who is just a bit off the beaten path, as in not quite an archetype.
-Doc Holliday: Atomic Robo
Someone worn down by time and a hard life. But from there you can spin it depending on what the "shouldn't" are. Anything from crimes and terrible behaviour, to simple bad habits, to a noble but foolhardy task.
-Atomic Robo
The hero who keeps pushing themselves forward until it brakes them. Alternatively someone who fears failure/losing their dream more than death.
only has two states; smiling and punching. And she wasn't smiling."]-Past Utopia
A quick personality for a hack & slash, someone who always takes a direct approach to the things they don't like or maybe someone who will smile and be friendly until punching is the only option.
A very strict redeemer type, maybe a edgy version of a paladin? Possibly also someone who spent their second chance well. You can also up the number if you like.
-Rusty: Ocean's 11
An older adventurer, who knows they will keep going until they die. Or a thief addicted to the game as in the original quote.

Rater202
2015-07-05, 01:17 PM
Before creation, there must be destruction.
-Lord Beerus.

I could see this quote inspiring a cleric of a deity who fulfils a similar role to Beerus's

asnys
2015-07-05, 03:46 PM
“I'm not... A good person, you understand. At all. I want the world, and I mean to have it. But, while I may kill you, I will never, ever ask you to kneel.”

Feddlefew
2015-07-05, 06:43 PM
"A falling star fell from you heart and landed in my eyes
I screamed aloud, as it tore though them and now it's left me blind

The stars, the moon, they have all been blown out
You left me in the dark
No dawn, no day, I'm always in this twilight
In the shadow of your heart

And in the dark, I can hear your heartbeat
I tried to find the sound
But then it stopped and I was in the darkness
So darkness I became"

-Cosmic Love, Florence and The Machine

For that character who falls in love with a god/force of nature/abomination from beyond the stars.

TheThan
2015-07-05, 07:25 PM
“I won’t’ be wronged. I won’t be insulted. I won’t be laid a-hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

John Wayne.

“Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from Yesterday.”

-Paraphrased from John Wayne’s Epitaph

“I’m Hub McCann! I’ve fought two world wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I’ve lead thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and sword to artillery and tanks. I’ve seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I’ve won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men and loved only one woman with a passion a flea like you could never understand. That’s who I am.”

Hub McCann, Secondhand lions

Feddlefew
2015-07-06, 12:23 AM
"There's only one choice now: finish what Zampanò himself failed to finish. Re-inter this thing in a binding tomb. Make it only a book."
-House of leaves

Cluedrew
2015-07-20, 08:08 PM
Chinese Yo-yo. You don't want to see what I can do with it, ..."]-Jason: Emergency Exit
If for no other reason than unusual weapons and fighting styles are cool. There are countless swordsmasters, wizards and rangers, but how many people go into battle equipped with a Chinese Yo-yo.?

The original quote was about someone who fought viciously and will little thought of defence. Hence, his fights were not games of move and counter move, but a race to fell your opponent first.

To finish defining a character with this quote you need to decide what or who they were in love with and does 'once' include now. It sort of implies it doesn't so this one has a hint of tragedy to me.

An escape artist who has reappeared from impossible circumstances. An immortal who truly can come back from the dead. Or just someone who believes in reincarnation (perhaps they remember their past lives).

Really any adventurer ever, but especially one who is willing to go through hardship, roll with the punches and always looks forward to tomorrow.

-Jamie Hyneman
The pyromaniac, if you want to tie it back to MythBusters you could make it a more thoughtful pyromaniac.

The self saving "princess" (TM). Actually needing to save the kidnappers sounds less princess like, not to say she isn't a princess.

Although it is really hard to pull off and sometimes requires set-up, there is something to be said for characters who can be described with just their name. Common forms include names that are also nouns or verbs, "... of ..." or "... the ..." are also options. Some times a list of titles also works.

So why does the speaker being alive mean the target is not a hero (I'm just going to assume they facts are related)? Maybe the speaker was betrayed and left to die or maybe the speakers was supposed to be killed but wasn't. You actually get two characters from this one, the "I" and the "you".

GPuzzle
2015-07-20, 10:10 PM
"I've got the Apocalypse!" came from a friend of mine.

SuperPanda
2015-07-21, 04:49 AM
More from Terry Pratchett:

1.) “If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.” - next time I get to DM a mentor character.

“Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.” - My next Paladin

“Whut's the plan, Rob?" said one of them.
"Okay, lads, this is what we'll do. As soon as we see somethin', we'll attack it. Right?"
This caused a cheer.
"Ach, 'tis a good plan," said Daft Wullie.”

“This time it had been magic. And it didn't stop being magic just because you found out how it was done.” - My next brainy character.

“He said it was better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong, remembering when you used to belong there.”

“Never cross a woman with a star on a stick, young lady. They've got a mean streak.” - I'm not sure what yet... but that's a great quest hook.

Gracht Grabmaw
2015-07-25, 04:55 AM
"You have never beaten a legend. Shawn Michaels, great, not a legend. Foley, not even good and for sure not a legend. So in my eyes you look at me and say 'legend', I look at you and say 'virgin'. You are a virgin at killing legends. And do you know how many virgins I've made holler, scream and bleed all night long?! God! That's my specialty!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair.

dysike
2015-07-25, 09:11 AM
All from the Wardstone Chronicles

"you can't just be reading books all the time and leave the writing of them to others"
As an explanation for why the group wizard is adventuring.

"the difference between the word fiend and friend is merely one letter. I could easily be the latter. If you knew me better..."
For an evil PC or potential evil ally.

"a true knight has a strict code of chivalry by which he lives his life: He cannot refuse a challenge and he always keeps his word. I also have a code of honour, but it is flexible."
For any non-noble but still basically honorable character.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-25, 10:00 AM
"the difference between the word fiend and friend is merely one letter. I could easily be the latter.I read that as "I could easily be the letter" at first. I think I like that misreading better, as a mission statement for a Paladin of Friendship type who always tries to redeem the wicked and turn enemies into allies.

And my contribution:

"My life is a true story based on a false one."

The Great Wyrm
2015-07-25, 11:05 AM
Cave Johnson:

All right, I've been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get Mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that'll burn your house down!

goto124
2015-07-30, 08:58 AM
"It told me our lives were short and meaningless, I told it its life was long and meaningless."

Cluedrew
2015-08-03, 09:44 AM
-Quinn (I think) from Young Jedi Knights
Quinn, or whatever his name was as I haven't read the books in a while, was a heavily indoctrinated TIE fighter pilot. He never gave up, even after the Empire crumbled because surrender is betrayal. It also says something about the Empire that they demand giving your life to the cause.

I usually don't talk about the original context but here it seemed appropriate. So for anyone who will never give a single inch/milometer.

-Paraphrased from Discworld
The best way to make sure a secret doesn't get out is if you are the only one who knows about it. Doesn't work so much for player characters, unless you make heavy use of notes and are OK with that, but NPCs might have a better time with this, giving out information only when strictly necessary.

Some people aren't in it for the money. Also the idea of 'hobbyist heroes' is kind of fun.

This one has a slight hint of bard to it. Creating an epic tail and sharing it as the adventure continues. Or you could go with someone who is a fine public speaker or goes out of their way to be that extra bit of heroic.

man."]Now the question is why can't you admit you saw that person. Are they wanted by the law? Not supposed to exist? Or perhaps seeing them says something about the person who saw them?

Same person as in the last quote by the way, although you don't have to use them together. This one could be a villain's justification, the head of some dark government organization or some gritty vigilantly.

The Tyler
2015-08-03, 07:11 PM
"Y'know, I am a sociopath. I don't care about anybody. Literally! You are all things to me. Yet...I know this is not consider normal to think. At all. That you have this thing called Empathy which I lack. I know that intellectually this is what is supposed to keep all of civilization together. What forms society. I'm even curious about it. Yet I cannot experience it. Is that not absurd?"

Is this from something particular or is it your own?

And for my contributions, I apologize if any were shared in the first thread.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king."
-The Phoenix on the Sword, by Robert E Howard

"He was concerned only with the naked fundamentals of life. The warm intimacies
of small, kindly things, the sentiments and delicious trivialities that make
up so much of civilized men's lives were meaningless to him. A wolf was no
less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.
Bloodshed and violence and savagery were the natural elements of the life
Conan knew; he could not, and would never, understand the little things that
are so dear to civilized men and women."
-Beyond the Black River, by Robert E Howard

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, by Robert Frost

Carry on my wayward son,
For there'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond the illusion
I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high
Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
I hear the voices when I'm dreamin', I can hear them say

Carry on my wayward son,
Don't you cry no more

Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know
On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean
I set a course for winds of fortune, but I hear the voices say

Carry on my wayward son,
Don't you cry no more

Carry on, you will always remember
Carry on, nothing equals the splendor
Now your life's no longer empty
Surely heaven waits for you

Carry on my wayward son,
Don't you cry no more

Lord Raziere
2015-08-03, 07:36 PM
Is this from something particular or is it your own?

My own. it was an attempt to figure out a sympathetic form of such a mindset because I was making an Eclipse Phase character at the time, one of the Lost. since many of the Lost were sociopaths due to how the Futura Project was messed up. character ended up technically not being one though, even if she was very close to one.

GPuzzle
2015-08-03, 07:47 PM
"I am going to inject you with this."

goto124
2015-08-03, 11:27 PM
Never ever admit you saw that [wo]man.

'Everyone, you saw that. The wolf got him.'

- An NPC after he'd stabbed The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Capt. Infinity
2015-08-08, 10:41 PM
"Now you see. I'm not going to do that. Because I've got this laser cannon, which can instantly and efficiently solve any and all of my problems. Observe."

Cluedrew
2015-08-15, 08:02 AM
Outside of a class where there abilities are thematically tied to ideas and invention... some times you do have an idea that scares people. That would likely be most effective in a social/political campaign.

Party leader who is more of the 'first among peers' type. Or maybe they are a leader of something else, your choice.

In my mind this is a mentor character, someone with enough experience to actually be a mentor but with some unfinished business to pass on. Also as that is not so uncommon I would also say it seems like a more optimistic variant of that mentor character.

"...avoiding any bloodshed." -No Need for Bushido
Because strength doesn't always mean strength of arms.

It should be noted that what she never said was part of her back story. So, in the original context at least this is about someone who doesn't really care about how things got to the way they are, just that they are. But differently it could also be someone generally not intelligent or forgetful or some other variation.

This one just makes me want to brake out a grey haired adventurer.

goto124
2015-08-15, 11:12 AM
'He's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.'

Wizards are OP.

Michael7123
2015-08-15, 03:14 PM
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."- Some chaotic evil sensation junkie.

(This is a quote from Mae West. No idea who she is. It just seemed to fit a CE sensation junkie).

Kyuu Himura
2015-08-16, 12:57 AM
"I'm not fighting 'cuz I'm strong. I'm strong 'cuz I fight".- A 'Dare to be badass' kind of hero.

"I got tired. Tired of crying, tired of praying, tired of the waiting and the anxiety and, above all, tired of jerks like you".- Former Damsel in Distress.

"How far can this fist take me...?".- Monk/Martial Artist type of guy.

"Meh, I let them do the thinking, they're cool guys, trust them with the hard stuff".- Dumb but good guy.

"They need help. That's it".- Neutral Good

"Sometimes I hallucinate... in math".- A Wizard that just 'sees how things works'

"He's a ruthless manipulator. And my father. And I will break you if you hurt him".- Good guy, bad family.

Thisguy_
2015-08-16, 04:48 PM
God. I've actually built a few characters like this; I will be randomly thinking thoughts, and in one of them, I will hear a character speak a line to me outlining their entire character, and now, I can't think of any of them. I can always make some up that embody some of my characters.

"Thick and thin, and fire, and ice. We live in a world laden with corruption, and magic, and dangers beyond our wildest dreams. A man is a feeble thing in this world of miracles, but I'll be gods-damned if I let one of my fellow feeble men go hungry. Have some pie."

"Rubbish, we don't want to be happy, we want to be famous!" ~Lunkwill, from the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams.

"The facts as I see them are this; one, that we are completely, inexorably hosed; two, that we have been so no less than three times in the last week; and three, that we are still alive; thusly, I can conclude only that we will remain such." ~Upon taking a massive risk as a particularly unlucky character, or member of an unlucky party.

"I cannot help but think this all has to do with those feelings you people keep going on about." ~Bad guy/APD Antihero

"Life is like a bad date. You start out awkwardly, you stop having fun halfway through, and for most people, it ends in bitter disappointment." ~Sad guy

"WRBRBRBBRBBRBBRR AAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHHA! NNG AAAAH HAHAH!" ~A Barbarian, who delights in rage

EDIT: Feelings has an "s."

EDIT: More.

"I see you. When I look at you, I don't see what you show me, I see you, trying to show me something. And I judge you for that. I can analyse you, find out what makes you tick. I can thereafter say that one thing, that dreadful thing you fear might one day be said to you, even if you don't know what it is yet. I can break you down from the soul on out. But I'm a sensitive guy, and I can't bear to see what would happen to you if I really went all out. So, I'm just gonna hit ya." ~Intelligent physical class

For a healer:
--------------------
Character: *whistling*
Patient: "Ow. I told you to quit it."
"Lift leg."
"I'm finished. I'm the bad guy, 'cuz history decided I was. That's why you won. You don't have to prolong my failure."
*whistling*
"I TOLD YOU I'M DONE! GODS, DAMN YOU, KILL ME!!"
*whistling nonchalantly* *healing continues*

"Clerics are cool. Priests and divine conduits. They get to pick their power source, and that limits the permutations of their magic based on their ideals and personality type, or based on their wants or needs, whichever is stronger. Wizards are all just smart alecks with no sense of right or wrong and limitless power at their disposal." ~A Wizard

EDIT: "If it hadn't've been for Cotton Eyed Joe, I'd've been married 'long time 'go."

Rogthnor
2015-08-18, 08:25 AM
The sword may be thankful for the forge fires, but never fond of them.
-Rand Al'thor

Cluedrew
2015-08-22, 08:22 PM
-The Legend of Maxx

I have no idea but it is awesome and hilarious.
-Paraphrased from Emergency Exit

I'm not sure what it says about the overall character... but it says something.
Because some people don't do things as much as cause them to happen... by accident. Depending on what the accident was you can get some different connotations out that. The other option is that 'It was an accident.' could have just been a pathetic lie but that isn't as interesting, to me at least.
an opportunist [...] a coward.' 'That just about sums it up,'"]-Earthsong Saga

Some people have no illusions about there own faults. You could switch out the list of faults if you so choose, but I like this particular list because it is really hard to see anyone taking pride in it.
-Earthsong Saga

A classic sort of line but I decided to throw it out there because I like the phasing of this one.
-Everblue

For the adventurer who is particularly lacking in common sense and restraint, or maybe is an adrenalin junky.
In a sense this reminds me of the wizard snapping the laws of physics to cast spells. In another I think of someone buried in politics, getting away with illegal activity because of connections or 'exceptions'.
-Atomic Robo

The speaker may just be gene-savvy, or might be talking about someone tougher to kill than your average elder cockroach.
-Amya Chronicles

Perhaps it doesn't make sense without context, but there it was a good line describing the very social busy body. Because the fact they have only answered the questions you have asked them means they are feeling off and you should be worried... or not.
-Gaia

Interrupting an rather technical rant. A rather good indicator of an enthusiastic genius. Another twist might be the genius is ignorant of other's lack of ability to understand. A sheltered prodigy perhaps?

goto124
2015-08-22, 10:51 PM
'It says you're a loner [...] an opportunist [...] a coward.' 'That just about sums it up.'

Could also be applied to someone who prides herself on her pragmatism, as opposed to those 'silly idealists with rose-tinted glasses who think honor is to die for'. The loner part may be related to her being an 'opportunist' and 'coward', which stopped her from associating with many people (and vice versa).

Cluedrew
2015-08-24, 07:00 AM
And that is part of the fun of it. I write down a few interpretations of the quote but that probably isn't all of them. For instance: "I'd say 'never do that again', but... I still can't believe you actually did that." I just sort of assumed that is was about doing something dangerous, but read it in a shocked tone of voice. Now I could see it being some amoral action that caused the surprise, possibly done out of desperation or maybe a hidden side to the character the speaker missed.

ShadowFighter15
2015-08-24, 07:35 AM
"Keen to the scent, the hunt is my muse."
"A means to an end, this path that I choose."
-Source for both. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0trGRJs_IU)

Might be able to get something out of the follow-on song as well. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43FnCO1DkOU)

Lord Raziere
2015-08-25, 04:05 PM
"A guy came up to me, claiming I was the Chosen One, so I did the obvious thing that anyone would do in this situation: I punched him in the face then ran away."

Stealthscout
2015-08-26, 11:53 AM
I have a long list of quotes I put up weekly at work for everyone. Below are some ones that might work well here, from all sorts of sources that I lost track of years ago (some are probably my own). Note that some of these come from the ‘inappropriate for work’ sublist, though.

BBEG types

We all came into the world the same way - naked, screaming, and covered in blood. But if you play your cards right, the fun doesn’t have to end there.
Impossible is just big word thrown around by those who haven’t sacrificed enough virgins
When all else fails, get selfish. That way at least someone leaves better off.
Haha! FEAR my unpredictable and incalculably manipulative imagina… Ooo-cookies!

Soldier/Warrior Types

The problem with taking orders is it become habit, and later habit becomes Truth
If you don’t know who the leader in the room is, you’re it.
He who keeps his cool no matter what, wins
If all you fight for is survival, you will never know peace
This isn’t violence – it’s ::smack:: communication!”
Strength survives. Nobility overcomes.

…and the ironic career officer

What a soldier really, really wants is nobody shooting back at them.
This is no place for old men, send in the young boys!
I'm an ordinance technician. When at a dead run I outrank everybody.

Philosopher/Thinker types

Perhaps ‘The Truth’ isn’t something you get told or derive - it may be a choice
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is the answer.
All knowledge is worth having

Rogues

If you can’t dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull****
The point is not to have all the toys. The point is to play with all of the toys.
Anyone who says ‘like taking candy from a baby’ has never actually tried it
Laws of Acquisition: #35 – Peace is good for business. #34 – War is good for business

Succubi/Ravens/Bards/Significant Other PCs

A true gentleman doesn’t kiss and tell. But if he’s any good you’ll get your details through the wall anyway
I’m not a whore – you never paid me. I stole this
My sexual preference is ‘deliberate, thorough, and shameless’
A woman is most intensely beautiful when she is stark naked and she thoroughly knows it.
I don’t love you for your looks or money - I love you for your soul. It’s delicious.
Virtuous by nature but pure only by technicality

… and tease white knight:
You can’t boast of your chastity if nobody wants to hit on you

Two possibilities – an Atoner or the one still racking up an Atonement bill:
Sinning is the most pleasant part of repentance

Monk in a highly western campaign
Grasshopper always wrong in argument with chicken.

Optimized PCs roleplayed well
Only by doing simple things perfectly can you attain the skill to do difficult things easily

Useful as a guidepost for any long campaign:
The novice sweats. The adept worries. The master reminisces.

And lastly, every group of PCs I have ever seen in my life:

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise
Adventure may hurt, but monotony can kill you
To succeed you must have: A) a plan, and B) not quite enough time

DCraw
2015-09-01, 06:52 AM
"won't you stop thinking about yourself and think about your patient?!?"
"Of course! You think I want this poor man to die? [beat] It'd be the worst thing that ever happened to me"

Deified Data
2015-09-01, 07:15 AM
"Life is an obligation, death a reward I have not yet earned"

Bucky
2015-09-03, 02:13 PM
"Of course I'm a paladin. It says so on my business card."

JohnTheSavage
2015-09-03, 03:06 PM
"At the end of the day, if I'm stronger than you and if I'm faster than you, than I can kill you! And that's better than anything money can buy."

"When a true soldier is told to kill, he kills. He does not question why, he does not mourn the fallen; he fulfills his role and moves on to the next."

DCraw
2015-09-04, 04:06 AM
I'm currently building a character based off the Redgum song 'I was only 19'

I Was Only 19 (A Walk in the Light Green)
John Schumann: Universal Music Publishing Pty Ltd

Mum and Dad and Denny saw the passing out parade at Puckapunyal,
(1t was long march from cadets).
The Sixth Battalion was the next to tour and it was me who drew the card…
We did Canungra and Shoalwater before we left.

And Townsville lined the footpath as we marched down to the quay;
This clipping from the paper shows us young and strong and clean;
And there's me in my slouch hat, with my SLR and greens…
God help me, I was only nineteen.

From Vung Tau riding Chinooks to the dust at Nui Dat,
I'd been in and out of choppers now for months.
But we made our tents a home, VB and pin-ups on the lockers,
and an Asian orange sunset through the scrub.

And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
And night time's just a jungle dark and a barking M16?
And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?

A four week operation, when each step could mean your last one on two legs:
it was a war within yourself.
But you wouldn't let your mates down 'til they had you dusted off,
so you closed your eyes and thought about something else.

Then someone yelled out "Contact"', and the bloke behind me swore.
We hooked in there for hours, then a God almighty roar;
Frankie kicked a mine the day that mankind kicked the moon: -
God help me, he was going home in June.

1 can still see Frankie, drinking tinnies in the Grand Hotel
on a thirty-six hour rec. leave in Vung Tau.
And I can still hear Frankie lying screaming in the jungle.
'Till the morphine came and killed the bloody row

And the Anzac legends didn't mention mud and blood and tears,
and stories that my father told me never seemed quite real
I caught some pieces in my back that I didn't even feel…

And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
And why the Channel Seven chopper chills me to my feet?
And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?
God help me,
I was only nineteen.

goto124
2015-09-04, 04:15 AM
"Of course I'm a paladin. It says so on my business card."

I'm curious as to who the god(dess) could be :P

"When a soldier is told to kill, he kills. He does not question why, he does not mourn the fallen; he fulfills his role and moves on to the next."

Extension: "And I wanted to stop that nonsense."

JohnTheSavage
2015-09-04, 06:18 AM
Got some more for you all:

"I feel I must remind you, that it is an undeniable, and may I say a fundamental quality of man, that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable!"

"...But just to be safe, bring a ****load of guns."

"Welcome to the future, man, technology's incredible and everyone uses it to kill each other"

Zyoto12
2015-09-04, 05:10 PM
Something for a wanderer bard I think.:

"Where is the four leaf-clover?
We'll carry on, singing and singing
We'll walk, throughout the region
We'll walk, throughout the region again!"
-Another Awful Hobs Tale; Elvenking

And now some druid-y stuff:

"We all hail the Moon gathering on its Sixth Day
Turn every barren one fertile as our Mother
With Golden Sickles we raise eyes to the sky and pray
Cure every poison and take care of all our Brothers"
-The Druid Ritual of Oak; Elvenking

"Open up your heart to the spirit of the wild
Live your days in wonder as if you were a child
The crackling of the fire, the silence of the night
The wind will whisper words of freedom and delight"
-Pagan Revolution; Elvenking

Strigon
2015-09-04, 06:46 PM
"I feel I must remind you, that it is an undeniable, and may I say a fundamental quality of man, that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable!"

Oh well if we're going for RvB quotes...

"Agent Maine, isn't that the soldier from the freeway? The one that shot you in the throat? ... I thought so. Sic 'em."

"Payback's a [REDACTED], and so am I."

"It's quiet. Too quiet. [Gunshot barely misses him] Suddenly it's too loud. I preferred it when it was quiet."

And on the note of PC's:

Doc: "You know, I really think we should try a non-violent approach to resolve this."
O'Malley: "I agree. Except replace the word 'non' with 'extremely', and after the word 'violent', include the phrase, 'blood explosion extraordinaire'! Hahahaha!"

And, of course:

"I would say that was the cavalry, but I've never seen a line of horses crash into the battlefield from outer space before."

"For as long as I can remember, I've been lied to, taken advantage of, shot in the back, and left for dead. And now, I have a way out of all of this. What in the hell makes you think that I'm going to ask for it?"

"You know, Caboose, I used to not care. I just went along with orders and hoped that everything would work out for me. But after all that has happened, you know what I learned? It's not about hating the guy on the other side because someone told you to. I mean, you should hate someone because they're an jerk, or pervert, or snob, or they're lazy, or arrogant, or an idiot, or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to. You have to learn to despise them on a personal level. Not because they're Red, or Blue, but because you know them, and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they are a complete and total [REDACTED]."

And of course, my all time favourite:
"PROTECT ME, CONE!"

Noedig
2015-09-08, 07:17 PM
I aim to raise some Cain.

Bucky
2015-09-08, 11:21 PM
I'm curious as to who the god(dess) could be :P

If a god(dess) were willing to sponsor this particular character, they wouldn't need a business card.

Cluedrew
2015-09-13, 09:20 AM
-Artemis Fowl
I see two ways of looking at this one. First is someone who realises they might be chasing something impossible. Then there is someone so confident they don't really have to defend themselves, instead making a quip about perspective. The extended version, which continued with something like 'history is written by the winners' leans more to the second.

-The Black Prick Road of Oz
Said of the circling monsters. So for a hopelessly naive, optimistic or friendly character. The other possibility is of course that they are correct which I'm not sure where to go with that.

is a comedy, a tragedy & a romance."]I feel the ordering and the emphasis of these three items say a lot about the character. In the original context the world romance might as well of been bolded.

One thing that caught my attention about this quote is it is not "I'm on fire!!!", quite the opposite in fact. The original quote was not about a physical fire, but I think there is something to be said of a character who can be on fire and talk about it so calmly. In addition we have a large number of metaphorical fires we could be talking about, everything from love to rage has been compared to fire at one point or another.

-Artemis Fowl
Anyone who uses fear over actual violence, or you know lethal amounts of violence. Might work well for the groups shadowy member.

This is about someone who mistakes types of strength. Put a different way someone who is a living weapon but doesn't quite realize that that is all they are.

A more positive sounding variant of the last, that to me speaks more of trust between the fighter and the commander in this case. Which is a good dynamic for groups of PCs.

-Millface (who I think was quoting something else)
The mad scientist, this is a great summery of almost every mad scientist character ever. OK maybe not everyone, but I feel it represents a good space between the evil genus who tries to cause harm and the regular sort of sane scientist who doesn't cause harm. Other non-science variants work as well.

Tough religion, or violent religion depending on how you would like to go about it, I suppose the only real difference between the two is if one's heart remains in the correct place. This really makes me think of D&C clerics but is seemed off for a reason, then I realized that although I have seen clerics that might sleep with one hand on there weapon, I now few that would keep the other on their holy text. And of course it is applicable to paladins and non-D&D characters as well.

Also feel free to swap out the holy object and weapon to one more suitable for the character or setting.

Depending on what definitions of soldier you would like to use. The easiest I can think of is one from an ethical point of view and the other from a more practical point of view. So either someone too kind to be a soldier or someone to dangerous to be one.

Why is it always the young people who go out to save the world? Maybe the old guard wants to tag along, maybe they can keep up and show the whippersnappers a thing or two.

dysike
2015-09-13, 01:43 PM
"Doors are for people with no imagination"-party rogue

"I woke up, a bag of bones. Literally. They had gathered up my bones and put them in a bag and thrown them in the river"-undead PC

"we're not retreating, we're advancing in reverse"

"plans are invitation to disappointment"

"Other stories tell how I eat innocent newborns, how I'm ten feet tall, how I breathe fire and have great dragon wings. None of these are wholly accurate. I don't have dragon wings, I don't breathe fire, I'm only eight feet tall and I've never eaten a newborn that didn't have it coming."

"You're hired, but I have to warn you if you try and kill me I will dissect you and sing along with your screams"
"Can I have Mondays off?"
"You may"

goto124
2015-09-13, 09:58 PM
'Wait, what sort of newborn had it coming? Demon babies?'

dysike
2015-09-14, 08:09 AM
'Wait, what sort of newborn had it coming? Demon babies?'

he never specifies, the same villain does also give the quote "some people believe I bathe in the blood of a thousand mortal children every day, can you imagine the impracticalities of that? you couldn't use the same blood two days in a row, it would congeal, so I'd have to kill a thousand mortal children each day and transport their blood here, the logistics alone are mind-boggling"