PDA

View Full Version : Flaw

Indoril
2007-03-30, 08:37 PM
Bigoted (Flaw)
Description: When a player selects this flaw, he also selects a playable race. The character's dislike of and steryotypical attitude towards that race prevents most social situations from progressing. Whenever dealing with the selected race, the character receives a -2 penalty to Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive checks.
Special: This flaw may be selected more than once. Its effects do not stack. Each time the flaw is selected, the player selects a new race. Also, the character receives an additional -1 to all mentioned checks to all races she has selected with this flaw for each time she has selected it beyond the first (so, a character who has selected this flaw four times [four separate races] receives an additional -3 to all mentioned checks towards those four races, or a total of -5 to all mentioned checks for all four selected races).

Feedback.

[Edit -- Shazz asked that the previous link be removed]

Starsinger
2007-03-30, 08:47 PM
I dunno if racism warrants a feat.

Indoril
2007-03-30, 09:08 PM
What if I buffed the penalties?

Something like -4 and an additional -2 for each time you've taken it.

Black Mage
2007-03-30, 09:25 PM
I think every character my friend makes has this automaticly....he always has to hate a different race. He plays a human, he hates every non-human. Plays a dwarf? Hate's elves. Plays an elf? Hate's dwarves. It gets irritating because he won't help party members if they fall into any of his hated race categories.

I don't think this should be a flaw, maybe a trait...giving negatives to cha based skills when dealing with the race, but maybe giving you a bonus on attacks against them? I don't know...

NecroPaladin
2007-03-30, 09:29 PM
I think every character my friend makes has this automaticly....he always has to hate a different race. He plays a human, he hates every non-human. Plays a dwarf? Hate's elves. Plays an elf? Hate's dwarves. It gets irritating because he won't help party members if they fall into any of his hated race categories.

I don't think this should be a flaw, maybe a trait...giving negatives to cha based skills when dealing with the race, but maybe giving you a bonus on attacks against them? I don't know...

Make him a corrupt avenger (involuntarily) and let him kill them on sight. If anything, that should get the rest of the party to turn on him so he gets the message.

On the bigoted thing, I'm not sure what the flaw should entail...Maybe a rage-like thing when fighting the hated race that endangers him more than it helps? Some monsters can do that.

Demented
2007-03-30, 09:31 PM
Mild dislike of another race isn't worthy of a flaw.

A focused hatred so obsessive and distracting that you can barely focus on your assigned task, however, is definitely worth a flaw.
"You let an ELF into this bar?! An ELF!? What kind of establishment is this? You can't allow that scum in here! Get him out of here; he shouldn't be here; I don't want him here! Get him out or I'll..."

In other words, significant penalties, cancellation of morale bonuses, etc. etc. whenever anyone of the race you're bigoted against happens to be in the area. Confusion effects, and Will save against attacking, even.

NecroPaladin
2007-03-30, 09:33 PM
A focused hatred so obsessive and distracting that you can barely focus on your assigned task, however, is definitely worth a flaw.
"You let an ELF into this bar?! An ELF!? What kind of establishment is this? You can't allow that scum in here! Get him out of here; he shouldn't be here; I don't want him here! Get him out or I'll..."

I smell corrupt avengerrrrrrrrrrr.....

But yes, agreed. Maybe a thing like the phobias from Heroes of Horror (also the location of the...corrupt avenger)?

Miles Invictus
2007-03-30, 10:39 PM
Making it a trait sounds good. If you look at the traits in the SRD, they all have widespread, powerful effects. The original flaw -- I'd take it for uncommon player races, and let someone else do the talking.

How about this rewrite?

Bigoted (Trait)
Your character's dislike for a particular race impairs the way you interact with members and associates of that race.
Benefit: Select one race from the Ranger's Favored Enemy list. Against this race, you gain a +2 bonus on all Intimidate, Listen, Spot, and Survival checks, as well as a +1 bonus to damage rolls.
Drawback: Against any patron, close associate, or member of the selected race, you gain a -2 penalty to Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive checks. Against any member of the selected race, you also take a -1 penalty to AC.
Note: Patrons and close associates have strong, personal ties to a particular race. Patrons work to improve the welfare of a race, while close associates identify with that race in some way. For example, a cleric of an elven diety would be considered a patron of the elven race. Likewise, a knight who emulates dwarven culture would be considered a close associate of the dwarven race. Working with or befriending the members of a race does not, by itself, indicate patronage or association.
(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/bluff.htm)

Innis Cabal
2007-03-30, 10:44 PM
i don't think RP needs to be made into a trait...if your character hates something or someone let him RP it out, though it looks sound mechanics wise

Icewalker
2007-03-31, 03:36 AM
This goes beyond a characters dislike transfering into RP. You would definitely have to RP differently with this trait, but the point of it is that your hatred actually causes changes in the statistical aspects of the game, which is realistic.

Looks good to me, and I like the intimidate check bonus, I had that idea too.

Drider
2007-03-31, 07:38 AM
rangers would definately be the best choice for this, having favored enemies and all. Most people i know don't let Rangers Just Have favored enemies for the hell of it, they need reasons.
good example: a Ranger at the age of 7 lives in a town that was often attacked by orcs, ergo, favored enemies orcs.
bad example: we're going to a fortress with orcs, so their his favored enemy.