PDA

View Full Version : [IC] The Golden Archipelago

Norandil
2014-12-31, 09:35 AM
"Oi! Sails on the horizon! It be a couple o'them! Good winds, gunna get to shooting range bout an hour or so!" rumbled from the crow's nest. You stepped out of your cabins, screening your eyes from morning sun. The deck's busy already at this hour, and even busier than usual now; with two ships inbound, the crew began checking and assuming combat stations, knowing the captain's habit.

Not seeing anything amiss, you make your way to the higher deck and after nodding to the man stationed behind the wheel, you take out your spyglass and scan the horizon, looking for guests. You find them right when yet another yell comes from your man up above, informing you about the nationality of those ships - they are French. And indeed, it doesn't take you long to see a French flag, three lillies on blue field, flying over them. Well, such an encounter must have happened sooner or later. You expected later though, as you barely broke the archipelago's waters two days ago.

The ships, small patrol vessels, circle around you for some time, keeping their distance. You are busy shouting your last minute orders when you hear steps and knock of heels behind you. Turning around, you find one of your officers, saluting.

"Captain, sir! One of the ships has given signals! They request permission to board! What is your answer, sir!"

tigerusthegreat
2014-12-31, 12:31 PM
Edwin snaps his looking glass closed, returning it to his pocket. French flag vessels approaching him this early was not a good sign. "Signal them that we will receive a small party aboard." Edwin replied. "And run up the Dutch Ensign, to let them know they have no authority over this ship." Things being what they were between England and France, the frigate of clear English design might be mistaken for an English ship without a flag. However, with an English Captain, they might assume it was a ruse anyway. The papers in his cabin should assuage any doubts, but anything could happen.

"Mister Vliet, get the boarding pikes ready in case something is amiss, and ready the crew to deploy the boarding nets. Mister Haan, see that the guns are readied, but don't run them out yet." Edwin tasted the sea air, trying to get a feel for the wind and weather. He should be able to outrun or outgun the smaller vessels, if needed, but his writ to hunt pirates around Knot Kust should give him all the protection he needed. He peeled off his gloves, tucking them behind his swordbelt. If the worst came, he would need his hands unhindered. Once the other officers had walked away, he says quietly. "Keep an ear out, Mister Seymour, you are far more adept at uncovering hidden meaning than I am."

Norandil
2014-12-31, 02:24 PM
"Aye, captain!" is all you hear from your officers as they hurry towards their duties. Shining Destiny's always boasted good discipline, which you unfortunately can't say about may other vessels in the fleet. You'd think people like the Dutch would be better at keeping things the way they are supposed to be, but apparently the sea calls to both decent men and scallywags alike, no matter their nationality.

You are waiting for a launch with a few men to approach you, but then you realise the whole sloop is still at half-sails, and coming at you. It looks like they want to ram at you! Quickly getting hold of a nearby rope, you prepare for the impact... that never comes. The ship turns abruptly and drops his anchor, missing you gently, and before the tide can separate you again, five men jump onto your deck.

There isn't much to be said about four of them - well-built, tawny, sharp-eyed, with cutlasses at their belts. One of them is also wearing fine clothes, a hat and tall leather boots, most likely making him the captain, especially that it his him that greets you:

"Ahoy! Ca va, friends, ca va. May I ask you whatcha doin here, messieurs? Twas a long time since I last seen a pretty frigate like tis uder thy flag. Mon dieu, you are a long way from home, and right now you are on our waters! How is that, ha?" he says jovially in a mixture of English and French, but still clear enough to be understood without much trouble. While he does so, he sweeps the deck with his keen eyes and definitely notices the crew standing by.

This may be a bit weird to you as well, but I tend to keep all rolls public, no matter what. And that's why I need a Falsehood roll for my captain!

Let's see: He's got B3, but he gets +1D FoRK from Acting, +1D Advantage because he is characterized properly, and +1D Advantage because he both speaks French and neither of you has enough experience dealing with Frenchmen. That gives him 6 dice, and the Ob is your Will, so 5 and 3 respectively. Pretty tough!

[roll0]

Edit: Ooo, someone is in trouble!

But you both quickly disregard the man; it is the fifth visitor that grabs your attention. Unlike the others, he is wearing a wide, threadbare and patched black robe of a catholic priest, wide enough to be loose even on his considerable belly. He is bald, but with bushy eyebrows and small black eyes, currently drilling Edwin with his scowl. He also doesn't have any weapon with him. At least not out in the sun, because nobody knows what rests below that robe.

But that's not all. Being a priest is one thing - you've all heard about those missionaries, spending half of their lives on deck. The demeanor of this man is so thick... and see how the three sailors standing in the back are surrounding him protectively. No, it is all a show... whatever is going on here, the man in charge is not that blabbering fool, but this man, this priest.

tigerusthegreat
2014-12-31, 03:34 PM
"Well, you certainly know how to make an entrance, but if you've damage my ship I'll have recompense. We have a right to traverse these waters on our way to our destination, but that doesn't seem to matter to you. Now, father, since you are clearly the real one in charge of this group, what is it you really need?" Edwin rested his hand on the scabbard of his sword.

Farmerbink
2014-12-31, 05:36 PM
Once the other officers had walked away, he says quietly. "Keep an ear out, Mister Seymour, you are far more adept at uncovering hidden meaning than I am."

Philip nods, knowing that Edwin would see from the corner of his eye.

"Ahoy! Ca va, friends, ca va. May I ask you whatcha doin here, messieurs? Twas a long time since I last seen a pretty frigate like tis uder thy flag. Mon dieu, you are a long way from home, and right now you are on our waters! How is that, ha?" he says jovially in a mixture of English and French, but still clear enough to be understood without much trouble. While he does so, he sweeps the deck with his keen eyes and definitely notices the crew standing by.

Without interrupting the man's speech, Philip approaches the main staff and makes a show of adjusting the riggings, moving closer to the "cleric" as he does so. He makes no move to draw a weapon or be threatening.

I'm not reaaaaally sure exactly how this works, but I would like to move to the side, near the masts, pretending to adjust a rope or something (being inconspicuous), but putting myself into a better position to be able to attack the man more directly. Rolling my B1 inconspicuous: [roll0]
if B2 skill in seamanship (to make the acting convincing) is good for a die: here's the other: [roll1].

Norandil
2015-01-01, 04:36 AM
Yeah, Seamanship FoRK is fine. But now I need an opposed Perception check, B4 +1 Help die for each bodyguard, so +3. It is Stat vs Skill, so he needs 2 successes for each of yours.

[roll0]
Perception is open-ended, so possible rerolls: [roll1]

Edit: 4 successes, so we have a tie. A tie should go to the action maintaining status quo, so Phillip's this time. You may also mark a Difficult test for your Inconspicuous

In a while I will also need your foreign languages check, Ob 3, that's a difficult check for both of you.

Edwin: [roll2]
Phillip: [roll3]

"Le seigneur est un refuge pour l'opprimé, une forteresse dans les temps d'ennui. Dieu est pour nous un refuge et un appui, Un secours qui ne manque jamais dans la détresse. Votre mere est une racoleuse. Et voici, tu seras muet, et tu ne pourras parler jusqu'au jour où ces choses arriveront, parce que tu n'as pas cru à mes paroles, qui s'accompliront en leur temps. Je vais vous tuer et gut votre enfance. L'ange entra chez elle, et dit: Je te salue, toi à qui une grâce a été faite; le Seigneur est avec toi," replies the priest in booming voice. You have a lot of trouble to understand him, he is slurring many words and speaking very quickly, but from those few words you understand and from his gestures and eyes risen to the sky you gather that he is quoting you Bible. After that, he falls silent again, hiding his hands in wide sleeves of his robe.

"Mon dieu, my friend here don't has good news. Last evening he preyed - and now he says a dire fate approaches this ship. Merde, mes condoleances. Alas, I need to see some papers, friend. English ship, English captain, Dutch flag. One may think you are pirates!" laughs the "captain", ignoring your remark about the priest. "Papers good, you may continue, oui? Papers not good, we keep talkin what to do."

During that conversation, Phillip focuses all his attention on the rigging, adjusting it on his way. That takes him a few steps away from you, but also lets him take a better angle without being noticed. There's still a big, black man between him and the priest, but should something happen, he at least has an advantage.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-01, 02:55 PM
"My tutors would be ashamed of my skills with your language, as I cannot make any sense of the preacher. I will show you my papers, Captain, if you will follow me to my cabin." Edwin led the way to his cabin, hoping only the other "Captain" would follow. One he reached his cabin, he retrieved the letter from the Dutch high command ordering him to hunt pirates in the Archipelago, written, of course, in Dutch. He hands it to the other "Captain".

"Here are my orders. I have been ordered here to hunt pirates, since the French, English, and Spanish don't seem to care about Dutch merchants falling to pirate activities."

Farmerbink
2015-01-01, 03:05 PM
Philip is continuing to silently stand nearby, adjusting the riggings and preparing himself mentally for a fight.

I promise I will not always be the "stands silently in the back" guy. I just want to see where this leads before I start something. Even if it's only 5 of them on our full ship with crew, I don't want to be the one to break trust.
... though I suppose the lie that we both saw through might qualify.

Norandil
2015-01-01, 03:28 PM
The captain follows Edwin into his cabin, whistling nonchalantly. Two of his men accompany him, scanning everyone and everything around cautiously, as if suspicious of something. But, assuming that nothing happens on the way, they remain calm and don't even reach for their weapons.

In the cabin, the man takes Edwin's documents and scowls, swearing badly in French. "It's in that gibberish! Fawkes, you can read that? Everything okay?" he asks, showing the papers to one of his men. He scowls and moves his mouth, trying to read the document, then nods slowly. "Ha, good, good. See, and everything resolves peacefully. We now leave you, messieur, and you may go wherever you want and do whatever this tells you," he points at the documents. "Off we go, boys!"

Ignoring you from now on, he goes back to the rest of his men and lets out a high-pitched whiz, beckoning his ship to come closer, ready to leave your deck.

Farmerbink
2015-01-01, 03:48 PM
From is position at the mast, Philip tries to listen intently to what's being said. When the man calls out that they're leaving, he tightens up like a cat ready to pounce. If this "priest" plans to do something, it'll be when the other ship closes. In Dutch, Philip calls out to the crewmen, "Oi! Meer hens aan dek ! Ik wil een dozijn handen zien hier, NU !"

Oi! More hands on deck! I want to see a dozen hands here! NOW!

4d6v foreign language check test? I'm guessing things like this are not uncommon for me to have said semi-frequently, as Edwin's second-in-command, so I'm not even sure whether or not I would need to roll a check test. (Old habits die hard, you know).

If it's not clear, I just want to get more of our crew on the deck before any possible fighting breaks out. I'll come up with some bluff or whatever to set them to work, as they arrive.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-01, 04:04 PM
"Captain, would you or the preacher like to stay for tea? It would be rude for me not to offer the hospitality of my ship to a fellow Captain, or a man of the cloth, different as our faiths and nationalities may be. We are clearly in a common cause to scourge the world of pirates, and if the good father has had visions of doom for my ship, I should like to ask that he invoke a blessing upon it." He repeats the request in French as best he can.

Foreign Language check.
b3
[roll0]

Norandil
2015-01-01, 04:20 PM
The ships get very close again, with high deck of the sloop being about your lower deck's level, and your guests prepare to depart. The captain turns around hearing your invitation and, not smiling for the first time during your encounter, takes a step back. With a grim expression, he walks towards Edwin... But all he does is to lean closer and whisper to Edwin's ear:

"Word of advice, mon ami. Be careful who you invite to stay over. You think we stop you for no reason, oui? Ah, J'aime l'humour anglais! There are pirates here, friend. And none other but the "Maestro." You new here, so I tell you tis: you hear trumpets, you better pray for your life," he then walks back quickly, before the ships are separated again and jumps. As he does so, he shouts, "Bon voyage and luck be with you! God knows, you may need it!"

All this happens in front of your full crew, with brows covered in sweat and with weapons half-drawn.

Farmerbink
2015-01-01, 05:00 PM
As the "captain" leaps across to his ship, Philip finally relaxes. In dutch, he calls out the assembled crew, "We hebben te veel vertraging al! Woon je stations , en dubbel-time voor een uur! Als vangen we waar we moeten zijn , misschien zult u al een break deze avond krijgen!" As the assembled crew disperses (in what I hope to be semi-frantic fashion), Philip approaches Edwin. Dropping his voice to a whisper, he tips his head in the direction of the now departing French ship. What all do you make of all that, captain? They clearly were not fully forthright with us, but I cannot piece together their intentions. Something is definitely afoot here, and I like it not a whit.

...Still, no blood was shed on your deck, so the encounter could have gone much worse.

We have been delayed too much already. Attend your stations, and double-time for an hour! If we catch where we should have been, perhaps you'll all get a break this evening!

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-01, 05:03 PM
Edwin smiles, and puts his gloves back on. "Mister Haan, my order stands as before, at least until our friends are out of sight. Bring her full into the wind, let's put some distance between ourselves and this place."

He turns to Phillip. "Mister Seymour, see that the cook brings me something in my cabin, and do join me. I wish to discuss some of the ledgers. Our water consumption seems very high to me."

Farmerbink
2015-01-01, 07:14 PM
He turns to Phillip. "Mister Seymour, see that the cook brings me something in my cabin, and do join me. I wish to discuss some of the ledgers. Our water consumption seems very high to me."

Philip nods and salutes: "It will be done as you say." He hurries into action, matching the pace of the crew; he catches a passing ship's mate, and barks a short order: Boy, fetch the captain a plate from the mess. He wants it in his quarters. Go! He spends a few moments assisting on the deck, until he sees the boy leave the plate with the captain. As the boy returns to whatever he was doing, Philip calls another deckhand to take his rope, and heads to Edwin's quarters.

As he walks into the room, he says We have plenty of water to make port, captain. You can rest assured. As soon as the door closes, sealing the deck noise out and the conversation in, he ceases the charade. I won't mince words. I think nothing of that venture was as it appears. Unless the French have taken to the king's ways, they've never been as.... religiously inclined... as they tried to appear...

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-01, 07:31 PM
"Did you catch anything of what he said initially? I couldn't make head or tails of it with his accent. My tutors all spoke proper Parisian French, not the commoner's tongue." Edwin looked at the few sparse maps he had of the region. "I think we'll make a supply stop at Emerald Landing. While I take care of the decorum of meeting with the Governor, you will do the real sleuthing and find out what the state of the region is."

Farmerbink
2015-01-01, 07:38 PM
"Did you catch anything of what he said initially? I couldn't make head or tails of it with his accent. My tutors all spoke proper Parisian French, not the commoner's tongue." Edwin looked at the few sparse maps he had of the region. "I think we'll make a supply stop at Emerald Landing. While I take care of the decorum of meeting with the Governor, you will do the real sleuthing and find out what the state of the region is."

I couldn't understand most of it. I know he was quoting the Bible, but either he was adding parts or slurring his words so badly as to be unintelligible. That particular couple of verses isn't as lengthy as he made it.

Very well. Is there anything in particular I should watch for? Are we looking to make friends here, or subservient principalities? Or just morale and economic interests in general?

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-01, 08:01 PM
"This encounter has encouraged me to focus on the French as our initial target. It would be ideal if we could find a few British captains willing to waylay and hinder French ships, but I'm not holding out on that hope. What we definitely need is information on pirates, particularly if....if our orders remain the same. Unpleasant lot, pirates. I wish I didn't have to deal with them at all. If we can find one with some loyalty to the British or Dutch thrones, or one who hates the French more than he hates anyone else, we could certainly use him. Such men have reputations."

Farmerbink
2015-01-01, 10:37 PM
"Unpleasant lot, pirates. I wish I didn't have to deal with them at all. If we can find one with some loyalty to the British or Dutch thrones, or one who hates the French more than he hates anyone else, we could certainly use him. Such men have reputations."

Philip nods with a knowing expression. That they are, though not totally devoid of honor. Only mostly so... Still, I will certainly keep my eyes open regarding such an... opportunity.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-01, 11:27 PM
"Thank you, Phillip. Tell the helmsmen to set a course for Emerald Landing." Edwin sat down to his dinner, dismissing the other man.

Norandil
2015-01-02, 04:50 AM
After everything's been said, you return to your journey. The French ships head deeper into the archipelago as well, but at a different angle, soon leaving you behind the horizon. When they do, everyone on deck sighs with relief and waits for the command to leave action stations.

During the rest of the day nothing happens, as it often is during journeys this long, only the weather keeps worsening and leaden clouds cover the sky, cutting off the sunlight. The storm hits you in the worst possible moment - on your way to Emerald Landing, you needed to skim The Freckles, unpleasant patch of reefs creating a net of difficult straits and shoals. You tried to outrun the weather, but these foreign waters played you into getting deeper into trouble instead. Now, in the middle of the storm in nigh complete darkness, you fight for your ship to escape the reefs safely.

tigerus, I've just realised that you don't have a Navigation Pilot skill on your lifepath lists! I know it is understandable, because you may just have a guy to do that for yourself, but I think you need it. Get a B2 Pilot for free, and to balance things out, Farmerbink, you may upgrade your Falsehood and Inconspicuous to B2 (but scrap that difficult test then).

Now, let's test that Navigation Pilot right away. Ob is 5 - "Piloting through rough or dangerous waters," but you may FoRK Sea-wise and Ship-wise. That puts you 4 dice against Ob 5, which isn't as bad as you think (but is bad) - because a failed test won't mean you sink, you just lose some time in the storm and get a damaged hull, but you definitely survive. I won't roll that just yet, because considering your beliefs and such, you may decide for some artha here.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-02, 01:34 PM
"On the plus side, nobody will follow us through this." Edwin said more to himself than anyone else. He peered through his looking glass at the murky dark, cursing. "Mister Vilet, send two good lads to the bow to cast for depth. I don't want to run aground if we can help it." He took the wheel over from the helmsman, carefully plotting his course, trying to recall the few charts he had of this area, and listening for the depths being called out from the front of the ship.

Going to spend a fate point to make rolls open-ended and two persona points to add dice, for a total of 6 dice vs ob 5.

[roll0]

and rerolls: [roll1]

Norandil
2015-01-02, 05:36 PM
Water. Everything is wet and smelling of sea, seaweed covers your deck. Heavy rain hampers your vision to the point where you barely see the wheel! Thunder after thunder deafens you and the only way you can hear the depths being called is because someone from mid-deck repeats them to you. But it may well be the thing to save you all, knowing how treacherous these waters are.

But you prevail. The storm rages for several hours and your arms are numb from tension and fatigue, but finally you feel the ocean release its grip on Shining Destiny; it is already night, but what is important, your people will finally be able to rest; a couple of hours more and you will leave Freckles behind.

~~~~~

The adventures of that day are a distant haze in your memory when you finally reach Emerald Landing. The journey took you three days and the weather's been perfect since the storm, is if it was the archipelago's test, a trial of worthiness.

You circle the island, looking for a mooring, and you soon encounter a few coastal boats. After the standard procedure, they lead you to the port. You stand on the deck together, waiting for your people to lower the gangplank; the main settlement of the island welcomes you with its modest architecture. The buildings are mostly small here, except from the magazines, but deeper into the town they get bigger and firmer, better-built, as they finally reach the centre, where the governor's palace is. The town's walls and fortress overlooking the entrance to the port is considerable but not excessive; it is the gathering of ships that is impressive, as it looks like a whole fleet ready to sail away.

But right now, what awaits is is a maze of narrow streets filled with citizens, merchants, natives, sailors, haven workers, drunkards and cheap prostitutes. What will the fate bring you here?

Farmerbink
2015-01-02, 06:23 PM
After the long fight to keep the ship off the corals, Philip has little energy left. As the gangplank is lowered, he helps steady Edwin before following off the ship himself. He breathes deeply, the salt air mingling with land-borne scents. I think, he begins, that you have more than earned a break, friend. Allow me to find a place for you to put your feet up and enjoy a hot meal. Our galley is one of the better, but still, nothing beats hot stew, simmering in the kettle... A distinct look of longing overcomes Philip for a moment, before he regains mastery of his features.

Come now! Emerald Landing and all her treasures await your pleasure, good captain! Philip leads the way down the docks, headed for the seedier part of town, based on his perception.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-02, 06:30 PM
"Unfortunately, there are nicieties to be observed, my friend. Go about your business, I will manage." He said, sending Phillip on his way.

Edwin sends a crewman to the governor's house to set up an audience, and makes sure all the preparations are made to restock the ship's water and other supplies. Docking gave them a chance to clean out the bilges and remove as much of the stubborn water as possible from the bottom of the hold. Shining Destiny rode much higher in the water than normal, due to the lack of the weight of supplies that had been used during the journey. While waiting for the crewman's return, Edwin donned his fine clothes and his fine swordbelt.

Norandil
2015-01-03, 10:21 AM
While Phillip ventures off into the town, Edwin makes sure Shining Destiny gets the best treatment possible. A port it may be, but it doesn't mean leisure for his crew as there is still much to be done. But if they do their job right, they may hope for a few hours of leave in the evening.

Edwin is discussing some of the more pressing matters with mister Vliet when he hears steps on the trap. There are three men on his deck, all of them in guard's uniforms, neat and well-equipped. The man in the middle, low and slender, has clear officer distinctions in a rank of colonel. He's got crooked legs, an uneven stubble and squinty eyes, but the way he moves, his face, tells you it is not a man to be laughed at.

Seeing you, he gestures in your direction, as if calling for a bollard. "Yer be tha captain here, ss'right?" he mumbles. "Know wha, I tell you tis: you get one day to leave tha port, or we make you leave. Ss'understood?"

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-03, 01:21 PM
"I am indeed the Captain of this vessel. By whose orders do you tell me to leave? I am not some common scallawag, but Edwin Taragon, Duke of Lancaster and Count of Sussex." In his finery, Edwin looks every bit the Lord he is, from his gold-thread cloak to his gold-hilted sword and silk stockings.

Norandil
2015-01-03, 05:39 PM
"O, ya hear that, boys? An I'm tha Impish Lucy, I work my shifts in tha theatre, runnin on the scene in skimpy dresses. You should come and see one day, my grace. The king of Spain visits us now an then, you could keep him bloody company!" the man replies sarcastically, clearly disbelieving you.

He spits amply over the boardside and crosses his arms. "Ya listen well, friend. Yer a fraud, and we dun' like frauds ere. But yer lucky that his lordship Lionheart is merciful and don throw yall into gaol, so you have until sunset. Then I don wanna see you in ma town. Got it? Good. Let's go boys. Nothin to do on tis sodding boat."

This was... unexpected, so to say the least. Edwin is left standing in the middle of his crew, frowning and trying to make heads and tails of this situation. And Lionheart, really? Who's calling others a fraud now?

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-03, 09:47 PM
Edwin's hand tensed on his swordhilt as he gritted his teeth. Had he arrived on a British ship, under British flag and flying his own sigil underneath, as was his right as a Lord and Captain, there would have been no doubts to his claim. As it was, he must bear the insult, but he would not forget it. "What is your true christian name, Impish Lucy?" He called after the man, conciously removing his hand from his sword. "I should like to remember a man who does his Lord's service, no matter how foolish." Edwin peeled off his gloves and tucked them behind his swordbelt.

Norandil
2015-01-04, 03:50 AM
Without turning, the colonel waves his hand at you and flutters his fingers. " Ya wanna come visit me, 'your majesty'? Ask for Tom Reyes, at your service! " he shouts in reply.

He does not slow his pace though and soon you see him wading through the crowd, yelling at people in his way and occasionally groping some curves of a passing woman.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-04, 04:07 AM
I shall remember you when the time comes. Edwin growled, and stalked off to his cabin, waiting on Phillip ' s return.

Farmerbink
2015-01-04, 01:20 PM
As the unpleasant man's words reach his ears, Philip thinks to himself I've until sunset? Plenty of time.

Philip quickly ducks into not the nearest tavern, but next to- it wouldn't do for them to know without thinking where he came from. As he enters (hoping the place isn't crowded), he strides up to the bar. In a voice more pleasant than honest, he calls out to the barkeep. Mornin, chap! Any meat left from last night? I simply cannot abide hard tack and salted cheese for another meal!

Norandil
2015-01-04, 05:30 PM
A curly head springs up from behind the tall counter and a young lass welcomes you with a wide grin. "Mornin yourself, handsome! Sure we have somethin, as long as you have some coppers to spare. But I tell you, it's worth it! You'll never want to go back to your ship after eating here, I promise!" she laughs and reaches out, patting you on your forearm gently.

"So what can I do you for? We still have some fish stew, but I bet that's not what you want, so what say you about immortal eggs on bacon, hm? Sure it costs more, but you probably know just as well as I do when you last ate some bacon, which means, you don't. I'm...

JANNA!!!

...by the way." she prattles, paling when a man calls her hoarsely from the back of the building. "Grab yourself a seat, I'll be right back, I promise!" she says, sending you a smile before disappearing.

You glance over the main room; there's a lot of room here and just a few customers sitting in corners. You see some workers eating their breakfast, but the rest are just sailors, looking at the world through the bottom of a glass, even this early. You pick a place near the counter and wait. Janna suddenly materializes by your side with a steaming plate and her lovely smile, fast enough that you couldn't even take a second look at the other people inside.

"Enjoy your breakfast love, and call me when you need anything, m'kay?" says she before preparing to leave again.

Farmerbink
2015-01-04, 06:07 PM
Philip jumps halfway through his skin when the girl pops up from behind the counter. In her frantic prattling, he doesn't put a word in between. After she place a plate in front of him, he finally finds the time to comment. Many thanks, my dear. I will definitely have questions for you in a moment, but this smells too good to wait! He wastes no time letting the plate cool, but quickly digs into the eggs and bacon. As he cleans the plate, and settles into a chair, he leaves a generous tip for the girl.

When she comes back to take the plate, he speaks up. Janna, was it? Dear, that was simply the best food I've had in weeks. Did you cook it?

Norandil
2015-01-04, 06:31 PM
"Oh no, that would be my father. He's got a hand for cooking, doesn't he? We run this place together, and it's kitchen duty for him today. I'll tell him you liked it!" Janna replies, her face still shining with a smile.

"You want me to bring you anything else? God knows you paid more than for two meals like that. Which tells me you're not 'just a sailor', and then that we may well not have what you looking for here. But we will do our best, I promise!"

She bites her lower lip and looks you up and down, "Don't you need a place to stay by any chance? We have some rooms upstairs, one can be yours for a few more of those coins," Janna adds gingerly.

Farmerbink
2015-01-04, 06:44 PM
Philip shakes his head gently, I'm afraid, for the time being, that I'm interested less in lodgings and more in gossip. When you get the chance, do tell your father that the meal was very much appreciated. I can't say, in polite company, what I'd give for him to prepare all our meals on the ship. For now, why don't you see to it that these good gentlemen (he indicates the tavern's other patrons) are well situated, and come have a seat and talk for a bit?

I feel like it's worth mentioning, *my* image is of a 16-17 year old helping run the tavern. If this girl is much younger than that, I may have to find a different place to do my gossip-mongering. I'm not too keen on flirting up preteen girls- not even in the 1800s, when that might not be all that weird.

Norandil
2015-01-04, 06:56 PM
"Oh. I see. Well, I'll try to be back soon," she says, soon regaining her smile. When she is back indeed, she sits in front of you, shaking her curly, fair mane and drilling you with a pair of blue eyes. You realise that even though she is wearing just plain linen clothes suited for work, these are pretty tight and thus showing this and that. "Shoot. Da shouldn't see me sitting idly, so I can't stay with you forever. What do you want to know?"

Your assumption is correct. I was picturing a 17-18 old girl or so.

Farmerbink
2015-01-04, 07:09 PM
Philip's eyes light up as she takes a seat in front of him. Goodness, what do I want to know? What don't I want to know, if you're the one saying it? Surely you've heard some stories recently. With a face like yours in a place like this, all the locals must love coming by to talk- Gods know I'd spend more time here if I weren't bound to my ship! I'm new here, so I'm woefully unaware of how life goes on the Emerald Landing. Who's in charge? Who can't abide by the rules? Surely plenty of exciting things must happen here!

...And if your 'da' has too much trouble with it, I'll tell him how good the meal was, and give him another tip!

Philip is deliberately trying to play on both her (apparently) excitable nature and people's general tendency towards talking about themselves and their own lives. Anything he can do to get her talking about the state of the island.

Norandil
2015-01-05, 07:52 AM
"I'm afraid that would do no good, he's not so good with taking compliments as is wit the food. But thank you," Janna mumbles, blushing lightly. She then looks up, her eyes shining with excitement. "You wanna story? A gossip, you say? I'll give you one, and ya better sit for that!"

She makes sure there's nobody in the earshot and lowers her voice and head, forcing you to do the same. "Johnatan Wells was ere! It tis very tavern, would be now sittin next to ya! And I took his order! What, you dunno who Wells is? Come on!" she whispers frantically and pats you on your forearm again. You realise Janna's accent becomes thicker as she gets all excited, but then you lose yourself in your thoughts, trying to evaluate this bit of information.

Johnatan Wells. Here. You've never visited the archipelago before, but oh boy, do you know who he is? Everyone knows. A living legend. Bane of Pirates, they call him. The Iron Fist, by some. The Scourge by the pirates themselves. This man alone has probably sunk more pirate ships than the whole English fleet, or so the story says. And he ain't done yet!

But that's not the most exciting part of the it. He tracked, chased and cornered famous pirate Henry Morgan, whom he killed in the final duel. Henry Morgan, the most well-known captain in the history of seafaring before the coming of Wells. Henry Morgan, who'd become an English privateer, serving the crown. And so now every single English ship has an order to show no mercy to this traitor. Even though kids throughout the kingdom and throughout the archipelago fight over being Wells while playing Pirates and Merchants.

Farmerbink
2015-01-05, 08:33 AM
She makes sure there's nobody in the earshot and lowers her voice and head, forcing you to do the same. "Johnatan Wells was ere! It tis very tavern, would be now sittin next to ya! And I took his order! What, you dunno who Wells is? Come on!"

Philip genuinely appears shocked, but feigns ignorance- making the girl explain who he was. Yo don't say! He was here? When was this? Do you.... Do you think he might come back? He continues plying questions to the girl, as fast as she can answer them. Did she see his ship; was there anyone else with him; did he say where he was going/what he was doing?

Norandil
2015-01-05, 09:53 AM
"How could I see the ship, I was in ere! It was bout a week ago, very late, an he had tis man with him, younger than him, tall and wit this smile. He was standin over there, by the door an watchin and -"

"Why don't you get me a mug o'beer, sweetheart? Let me talk to the boy for a second," a man interrupts your conversation abruptly, sitting next to you. He's twice your age, but muscular and vigorous; you also know he is a sailor, but not from his clothes or anything, from the way he moves. Janna jumps up with a squeal and runs away into the kitchen, not looking back.

"So I hear you interested in old Wells, eh? Dun't play dumb with me, I know you know who he is. But I need to tell ya - if you think you can snatch the prize, better think again. Men twice as good as you tried. And I ain't ever seen them again, no." The man grabs you by your arm and turns you around, looking you in the eyes. "Wells is the good guy here. But if you go after him, hunter will become hunted, you get it? You and your people will perish."

He lets go of your arm. "...tis what happened to my ship."

Farmerbink
2015-01-05, 10:45 AM
"...tis what happened to my ship."

Feigned innocence turns into confusion. Snatch the p-? As the man continues to ramble, the confusion finally shifts into a mixture of awe and suspicion. You tried to take the man down? I thought you said he was the good guy?

Philip thinks for a moment, before adding with a wide grin, of course I know who he is, it's still fun to watch a pretty girl talk, eh? He winks at Janna, as soon as she looks his way.

Did you see him, when last he was here? I know you would have seen his ship, or at least had the chance to look! Let's just say I have an... interest in speaking to the man. Nothing more, for now. His grin only widens as he talks with the early-morning drunkard.

Norandil
2015-01-05, 12:06 PM
A bitter laughter interrupts you in the middle of a sentence, making the others in the taven look at you briefly. "You don' understand a word I'm saying, right? Wells is not a man to be found. He finds you, if he wants to. And I didn' go after him either, I wouldn't be sitting here if I did. I was just a quartermaster, and I got ditched after trying to convince the captain to give up."

He takes a mighty swig from his mug before adding, "I'm sure you've heard about him before. His name was Henry Morgan."

Farmerbink
2015-01-05, 01:29 PM
Philip listens eagerly, but quickly his expression becomes tinged with doubt. You mean to tell me that you were the quartermaster for THE Henry Morgan?! What in God's name are you doing in a bar at breakfast? You could have a job on any ship this half of the ocean, if you wanted it! And you're telling me this Wells fellow was on your ship's deck, killed your captain, and left you the lone survivor? I hope you'll forgive me if that's a difficult story to swallow. I'm not yet so far in drink as to take any old sailor's word for something like that.

Norandil
2015-01-05, 02:14 PM
"No, NO! You mix it all up, damn you!" the man pounds on the table with his mug, drenching you in thin beer. While before that only a few lazy gazes were going your way, now you have everyone's attention.

"Morgan kicked me before going after Wells. Course, Wells wasn't that famous back then, but he still had a few of them big fish on his bill. Was after ol' Henry too, but kinda gave up when he joined the fleet, too much hassle wit that. Or so he thought back then.

But Wells..." the man looks around and lowers his voice. "Some stupid folks say, he murdered Morgan's daughter in cold blood, but I don't believe that one bit, hes not like that. Less stupid say, he fell for her, but I ain't never seen anythin saying this true, and I knew his daughter." The story suspends, waiting for the storyteller to return with another mug. "Still others, and this time there may be something in it, say they both wanted the same woman. This happens, more than you know. Whole wars started with a quicker beat of a heart, they say.

But wanna know what I think? Wells killed the wrong man. Willas the Eight-fingered, a pirate, bested only by Morgan in his youth. They had a sorta competition going, but they were friends and all that. He wanted to become a privateer too, with more and more years on his back and all that. And two days before we went after Wells, we learned that our Johnny got Willas, right on his way here to get his letter of marque. They say he grabbed him by the balls and wiped his deck with him before making him the Seven-fingered. Then Six-fingered. You get the gist.

I don't know what happened later, they kicked me out, remember? But I heard Wells avoided Morgan. So old Henry must've killed someone else, his family or a woman, because soon there was a vendetta going. You ever been to Sicily? It's what they do there. Bloody nation, you bump into someone walking out of a bar and you wake up wit your guts spilling out.

And so it went as I predicted: Wells found himself on top after all. They say he won fair and square, no cheating, and I be willing to believe that. Anyways, that happened somewhere 'round Morgan's Refuge. Lookit up your map, tis has an English settlement. Renamed after ol' Henry."

When the story ends, you realise there's a complete silence hanging in the room, thick with anticipation; everyone's stopped their chat to listen. But the old sailor stands up and wobbles towards the door and everyone returns to minding their own business.

"Five years from now. Five years, and I had one goddamn job since then. Half the people say I'm a coward and traitor, the other half? They say I'm cursed and don't want anything to do with me. So here I am, drinking this piss they serve here." he adds before rolling out into the street.

"Don't mind him. We all heard this story at least a few times, but you ask me, hes just an old, bitter liar. Every drunk is a liar, or so da says," says Janna while walking by. It seems that the man discouraged her and she is no longer interested in chatting with you more than with the other customers.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-05, 02:28 PM
After changing into more normal clothes, Edwin oversees the loading of supplies idly. He pulls out his Spyglass and looks at the various ships at anchor. He keeps an eye out for familiar names or faces among the crew, but largely is just admiring the fine lines of the vessels.

Farmerbink
2015-01-05, 02:33 PM
"Don't mind him. We all heard this story at least a few times, but you ask me, hes just an old, bitter liar. Every drunk is a liar, or so da says," says Janna while walking by. It seems that the man discouraged her and she is no longer interested in chatting with you more than with the other customers.

Philip rises from his chair, slowly, thoughtfully. He leaves another bit of a tip on the table, and heads towards the door. Many thanks for the hospitality, Miss Janna. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to see you again- and not too long from now. He smiles at her, even if she doesn't respond, and heads into the sunlight.

He doesn't go far, though. Once he's outside, he steps around a corner and stands there, lost in thought, trying to make sense of the "history lesson" he was just given. Damn. If I could talk to her dad, surely he was around when that old sailer first washed up. He could at least vouch for the man's timing. Oh, but Wells could be our man... How to find him, though? Ah well, it's worth sharing with Edwin. He heads back to the ship, for now, and reports what he's heard to Edwin.

(to Edwin) So, what do you make of it all?

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-05, 02:49 PM
"Sounds brutal enough for certain. How do we find the man, though?"

Farmerbink
2015-01-05, 04:06 PM
"Sounds brutal enough for certain. How do we find the man, though?"

That- err... I have no idea. Other than kill his daughter, which apparently earns his ire... Which really makes perfect sense, but is perhaps a poor choice nonetheless. I can head back out and see if anyone else knows the man, but my gut tells me that I'm not going to find someone who knows more than that old drunkard. He was obtuse as hell, but he seemed serious...

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-06, 09:26 AM
"It never hurts to have another experienced sailor, and we can keep him sober.....well sober as any English or Dutch sailor anyway. See if he is interested in sailing with us. " Edwin continues looking at the ships. "And see if anyone has heard of Captain Ishmel Johannes. He is an English Captain I once served under, and was reassigned somewhere out here. I out you will find him but it doesn't hurt to ask around. Finding out some more information about this Lord Lion heart would be useful too."

Farmerbink
2015-01-06, 09:36 AM
Philip nods. As you say. I will do my best. He leaves the deck, by the same gangplank, and heads past the tavern he was in earlier, scanning for the old drunkard. He dishevels his hair somewhat, adds a bit of dirt to his face and dress, and loosens his clothing, to attempt to stand out less, and looks for a rougher tavern to head inside, preferably with an old codger of a barkeep.

When he finds a suitable establishment, he heads inside, affecting a slight lurch, as if hurt or drunk, and gruffly asks for an ale, "but not any o' that cheap piss you pass off on the locals. I want somethin' I'll enjoy drinkin', if you got'nything that fits the bill."

Norandil
2015-01-06, 11:05 AM
Like every single port in the world, Emerald Landing has its Shades, a subdistrict of rickety hovels appealing to the worst dregs of the society, or the unluckiest of sailors. While it coexists directly next to the "decent" parts of the town, there are subtle borders that one does not want to cross, unless deliberately. You can get everything here, ranging from rare information and illegal trade, to a knife in the gut. The latter one free of charge.

Phillip heads to the shades and steps into something that from the lack of a better word could be called a tavern. It is dirty, gloomy and smells, but his face brightens immediately when he sees and hears the barkeep.

"Avast ye, landlubber! Tis be no place fer ye to hornswaggle ol' Bruno, lest ye wunna send yer fingers to Davy Jones' Locker ahead o ya! Knuckles on tha counter!" shouts an elderly man behind the dirty counter. You see he's missing an eye and a hand, but he's energetic enough to shake the customer sitting opposite him nearly senseless, even though he is much bigger than the host.

As they totally ignore you, continuing their argument over the game of knuckles, you look around and realise that those two are not the only people inside; a hooded man sits in the corner, with a girl maybe fourteen years old stting on his lap. The gloom ruling in there engulfs them, but you manage to see a tray lying near her, but apparently she is too busy to hear your order.

Farmerbink
2015-01-06, 11:19 AM
Philip swaggers up to the noisy barkeep, and places a coin on the bar. Facing his competitor, he slurs, Three ta one, Bruno's gonn' bleed yer knuckl's 'fore you bleed 'is! He slaps the bar, laughing loudly. Oi! Once yew thro'im outta here, gimme 'nuther ale! Ah got munn- for't! He hooks a thumb towards the door. Blasted wench downa road won' gimme anuth'r! Says 'thee too many 'fore lunchime!' Whatta crocked thin' she done me! He slaps the bar a few more times, amused at his own rambling.

He does his best to keep eyes on all corners of the room as he does so- it wouldn't do to be robbed for the coin he carried.

Norandil
2015-01-06, 03:35 PM
The men stop their quarrel and squint at you suspiciously; in a place like this, you never know what's behind the corner, so you suspect even your own mother to plot against you. If you know her, that is.

But you do your job well and the other customer slowly reaches to his purse and takes out a few coins. He slams them onto the counter, still looking you in the eyes, and slurs, "Ssgotta make evn tha dingies ere elsah tookem anway, an kick yer outta thar. E be seein ef yer got a pair, yer soddin bastard!"

It looks like he wants you to match his wager, which surprisingly is a couple of silver coins and a few coppers. If you want to bet three to one, that's not a small amout of coin.

If you accept the wager, you need to pass an Ob 1 Resources test. But more than that, the man threatens to kick you out and loot you if you back out now.

Norandil
2015-01-06, 04:41 PM
In the meantime, Edwin sweeps the horizon idly, thinking what to do next. Out of curiosity, he looks up the names on other ships in the bay. Most of them are standard continental craft, some appear to be claimed from Spanish or French hands, yet others are what must be local modification of more typical formula.

You are quite disappointed to see that you can't recognise any vessel, when your eyes land on the name: Jade Dancer. This lovely corvette you know, and not from the good side. When you were still in English navy, several ships fell to the Dancer, some of which you knew.

What's worse, your former ship was hijacked from a port after you took shelter from a storm. You were part of an expedition looking for Jade Dancer, but Bennett, the captain, made fool out of you by snatching your frigate right from under your nose. What he is doing here now, and under an English flag, is a mystery to you, but it seems he is leaving any minute.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-06, 05:09 PM
Edwin looks at the ship and it's flag grimly. First an upstart lordling and now a pirate under English colors. He should follow him and sink the bastard, but with half his crew dispersed, including Phillip, it wasn't an option, even if doing so was treason. Instead he put his telescope in his pocket and paced the deck, casually noting the ship's course. He might have a chance at revenge, but not today.

Farmerbink
2015-01-06, 05:20 PM
The other customer slowly reaches to his purse and takes out a few coins. He slams them onto the counter, still looking you in the eyes, and slurs, "Ssgotta make evn tha dingies ere elsah tookem anway, an kick yer outta thar. E be seein ef yer got a pair, yer soddin bastard!"

Philip grins widely, pulling the necessary coins from a pocket in his coat. Wha'sat? Thot' I'd keepem all inna same place? He snorts and guffaws loudly. C'man, Bruno! Bleed'im good so I can get 'nnuther ale already! 'Is guy jabberin' on gotten me miiiiiighty thursty! He looks pointedly in the drunkard's face. Don'say I didn warn ya. Bruno here's a meeeeeen sumbitch! I'da leff wit me knuckls an' me coin, if'n Iwasyou. He then half steps, half staggers backwards a step to give the men room to do... whatever they were doing.

Lord alive, what am I doing? He wonders. Hope this barkeep is worth half his salt.

Norandil
2015-01-07, 10:43 AM
The man grins savagely and nods to Phillip, sealing the bet. He then turns back to Bruno, and grabs a jagged mug with a few dice in it. What happens next is a bit too fast for poor Phillip, as the mug switches hands repeatedly, accompanied by numerous curses, exclamations and cackling. It ain't no simple dice poker either, because the men seem to adhere to a completely different set of rules.

But what happens after a few minutes of play is what appears to be a crushing defeat on Bruno's side. The man Phillip bet against grins again and takes the money from the counter. "Run ta mommy, boy. Twas da 'rrst ting yer can did t'day." He says and then passes a few coins to Bruno. "Tis ah owed ya, rite? We good now den."

After that last remark, he heads for the exit, leaving you with a feeling that you just got cheated.

Farmerbink
2015-01-07, 11:25 AM
Philip stands where his is, looking crushed as the man heads towards the exit. As he leaves, Philip drops the act, shrugs, and approaches the bartender. Well, that's hardly how I had hoped that would go. What in god's name was that game, anyway? I've never seen it played before- is it common around here? He asks the bartender, politely interested.

Norandil
2015-01-07, 12:00 PM
"Knuckles. Yer be seein et more 'round ere. An ye don wanna play ef ya don kna how. Ye'll jus lose more coin!" the barkeep replies with a jagged smile. "Ere, tha ous treat. He wannot gunna pay tha, an thanks t'ya I got me coin." he adds, handing you a dirty pitcher of cheap, sour wine. "S'wassa doin inna tha Landin?"

Farmerbink
2015-01-07, 01:47 PM
Firi'sar gently declines the wine. Glad to help get your coin, though I'll have to learn more about that game before I make such a wager again. and thanks, but no wine for me. I need to keep my wits about me, for the time being.

As for what I'm doing here, mostly looking for information. You seem like a man who's seen a lot, and I'm curious. Do you mind sharing what you know about Jonathan Wells and Henry Morgan?

Norandil
2015-01-07, 01:55 PM
The man's expression freezes when you refuse the wine, but gets even more sour when you mention Wells and Morgan. "An wassa yer to kno bout them? Ol story, fightin, chasin, den bloody Wells comes and bah, ol Morgan lies dead. Tha all tis in yer story." Bruno says, squinting at you suspiciously. "Yer wanna sumthin, or yer gonna ask more o tha stupid quession o yers? Gotta no time, me needs to tend to tha, wassa name, business."

Farmerbink
2015-01-07, 02:09 PM
Philip raises his hands defensively, I see. I assure you, sir, I meant no offense. I am but a simple man following orders.

See, I spoke with a man in [the other tavern] who claims to have known Henry Morgan. 'Bout twice my age, burly as can be expected, and at least half-pissed at 10 in the morning. Any chance you could at least point me in his direction? Perhaps with a name? I made the.... poor choice to discount him as a fraudulent drunk, and now my captain wants to speak with him... and I am left up a creek without a paddle.

Norandil
2015-01-07, 02:45 PM
"Tis be lies, an tha scallywag must been three sheets t'tha wind too many. Morgan's people been dead, an yer not gunna find them ere, on tis side. Lest yer wanna join them! Na begone, will ya?" says Bruno for his answer. You realise you don't see his hand anymore, as it disappeared below the counter.

Farmerbink
2015-01-07, 03:48 PM
Philip nods. Indeed, I shall. Good day, sir.

He steps outside, and spits to the side. Blast it all, that went about as poorly as it could have. ... now what? He looks around the area, trying to get his bearings before deciding what to move on to.

After a few moments, he cannot come up with a better idea, so he prepares to head back to the ship to report his failure.

Just as he takes the first step, a realization strikes him. That old bastard! He said "he's a liar," he has to know who I'm looking for! He turns on his heels and storms back into the bar, throwing the door open and marching straight to the bar.

(if it's still there) He grabs the pitcher of sour wine, and drinks as much as he can stomach before smashing the pitcher (perhaps with remnants of wine still in it) on the bar. Listen, you old coot! I tried being nice to you, but no, you won't have any of that, will you?! You say the man's a liar? Well I say you're a liar! At the very least, you've already told me you know who I seek. Tell me where to find him! If you can't do that, give me his damned name, and I'll work out the rest! By the end of his tirade, one hand is placed firmly on the hilt of his sword, though the blade remains fully sheathed.

Norandil
2015-01-08, 03:00 AM
Phillip, figuring out he's been fooled again, storms back into the local. He snaches the pitcher he's been offered before and his world turns into a red stream of wine, as he tries to get it all down his throat. Much of the wine spills onto his clothes and his stomach finally revolts, so he smashes the clay container on the ground and begins his rant. Midway through, however, he realises that Bruno's pointing a crossbow at his chest. Clumsily, with one hand missing, but steadily enough to pose a threat.

Farmerbink
2015-01-08, 01:07 PM
Philip purses his lips and raises an eyebrow. I see. Funny, how you repay those who help get you paid from drunkards and cads. Your bravery and good-faith is astounding. He backs away from the counter, tightened like a spring until he get to the door before stepping outside.

Farmerbink
2015-01-08, 01:31 PM
Philip steps out through the door, and begins walking purposefully towards the docks. As he reaches the edge of the building, he steps into the alley and inconspicuously walks down the alley to the back of the building. There he waits, around the corner for about 5 minutes, before sneaking to the backdoor of the tavern. He listens at the door for a moment, until he's confident no one is nearby on the other side, before testing the handle and attempting to quietly enter the building through the back door.

Norandil
2015-01-08, 03:23 PM
Phillip tries to execute his plan, but when he heads back for the tavern, he feels that something is amiss. He carefully looks around the narrow alley he's found himself in, littered with stinking fish and waste. Nobody. Tall, leaning buildings nearly close above him, cutting the sunlight off and covering everything in cool shade; the lone visible window is barred with sturdy wooden planks.

"T'was better to stick to yer ship, ya know. It ain't safe here, some folks sayin. So why don't you give us all yer money, an we forget bout everything?" Phillip hears from behind him. Turning around, he sees a man around his age blocking this side of the alley, long, dirty knife in his hand. Turning around again, he realises that the other exit's been blocked as well, by another hood. They are far away enough for you to draw your sword, but being flanked like that is not the best position you could imagine... There is no way to escape them though, so it is either talking or slashing your way out.

Farmerbink
2015-01-08, 03:58 PM
Philip walks towards the man between himself and the street slowly, hands open before him. Come now, we can be civilized about this, can we not?

Once he's close enough to attempt it, Philip quickly draws his sword and lashes out at the brigand, attempting to use surprise, his speed, and the extra length of his blade to his advantage- to put this brigand down quickly before they can make use of their superior positioning.

Going straight for the kill on the first brigand. Intent: kill or incapacitate the first man- task: sword in the juicy parts, fist/elbow in the neck- I'm not picky.

I'm guessing this is about to be a bloody versus test? Honestly, I just started reading the rules about fighting- I was kind of expecting/hoping to solve this without any explicit combat. Alas, these thugs are about to discover that they picked a fight with a cunning and ruthless opponent. I hope.
...I'm really starting to wish I'd found the RPs for a gambeson or reinforced leather.

Edit: If I'm reading this correctly, reflexes, stride, and FoRKs can all effect the versus test. So you don't have to look it mine, mine are as follows.

Reflexes B5
Stride 8
Brawling is a FoRK for a quick and dirty sword fight in the alley? Philip is all about fighting dirty, right now.
presumably a longer blade?

Norandil
2015-01-09, 03:49 PM
Phillip's skill clearly shows in his fluent movements, but unfortunately his opponents need to avoid threats like that every day; the man in front of him ducks deftly, half-lunges and slashes across Phillip's abdomen. You feel a surge of pain, but the cut is too shallow to really hinder you.

Using the man's position to your advantage, you kick him mightily, throwing him to the ground with a loud snap; he must've broken something. But you don't have time to finish the job, as you hear the other enemy closing on you. With a neat pirouette you fend him off and begin to press the advantage, finally slashing the hood all across his chest. But as you do so, you feel a sharp, sizzling pain in your back, just below your right blade-bone. Both you and your victim nearly collapse. Forgetting about everything, you reach behind trying to determine what hit you, but the pain is too great.

Then the man behind you pushes you onto a wall, grabs his knife still sticking out of your back and twists it, making you to black out for a second. When you regain vision, you see both attackers hobbling away, supporting each other. It is surprising that they didn't finish you, or at least take your coin and sword. But given their own sorry state, it may be that they've lost the will to fight.

~~~~~

You sit there, in that dirty alley, regaining your strength. Your brow is covered with sweat and you have problems moving your right arm; it is getting numb already. With the blood still trickling down your back, you heave yourself onto your feet, gather your belongings and go for the ship.

You realise that everyone's watching and pointing at you, some people even offer help, but all you need is to get back onto Shining Destiny. It is well that there were no guards on your way, as they'd surely stop you. But here you are, barging onto the deck, into the midst of the confused crew. Even the captain steps out of the cabin to see what's going on.

Farmerbink
2015-01-09, 04:24 PM
Philip hobbles onto the deck, barely sustaining his own weight. As Edwin comes out to see the commotion, he falls to his ands and knees, unable to move further.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-09, 08:25 PM
Edwin runs up to his friend, an tears Phillip's shirt, using the cloth to staunch the blood. "Get the Ship's Doctor." He orders to the crew, while trying to keep Phillip alive.

So, if I am reading this right, using Surgery to stop bleeding is an Ob 1 test, and since I don't have the skill it gets doubled to Ob 2(maybe +1 OB from not having tools, but I'm hoping the shirt counts as an appropriate tool to stop bleeding)and tests against my Per/Agi (both B4). Since this is a Stat test it is open-ended.

[roll0]

and the rolls for open-ended.

[roll1]

Depending on if it is OB 2 or OB 3, it either counts towards Per/Agi as a Difficult test or towards opening Surgery (which I need 5 additional routine tests).

Norandil
2015-01-10, 06:20 AM
Edwin jumps to the lower deck, hurrying to help his friend. There's no time to wait for the medic, Phillip is covered in blood! The captain examines his friend, looking for wound. When he finds it, he tears a bit of Phillip's shirt and cleans the wound with it. Then he takes another bit, as clean as he can find, and bandadges Phillip with it, applying pressure.

That's when the medic comes, his bag dangling from one shoulder. He unceremoniously pushes Edwin aside and looks at the bandadge, nodding. "Good. That should help him a little. Now get him to my cabin immediately, bring me some alcohol and a pint of boiling water. And drop the drama, he's not dead! Now move, move!"

Phillip is being helped to his feet and guided to the man's cabin, where he receives a "rum treatment" before the medic examines the wound. Giving his usual rant about carelessness and responsibility, the man cleans the wound, mashes some herbs and applies the dressing.

Let's see: he has B3 Field Dressing and +1D fork for Herbalism. He definitely gets +1D advantage for Edwin's bandadge and +1D advantage because the wound is fresh. He also has good conditions and sterile bandadges, so that's another +1D. B7 vs Ob 4, 50% chance.

[roll0] Edit: one success missing, so not that bad. My ruling is, this missed die will cost you an extended recovery time; I wanted to give you 2 weeks recovery time (the least possible), so let's make it 3 weeks. You need to pass Ob 3 health test as well, but you already recover one of the lost dice.
"Well, you are good to go. Just don't strain your arm, it was a nasty stab. Now go to the captain, I'm sure he'd like to hear what happened," the medic tells Phillip. And indeed, you feel much better now; the wound is still painful, but you can think clearly again.

Farmerbink
2015-01-10, 07:58 PM
Still feeling just a bit woozy, Philip gently slides off the table. I... thank you. That is already quite a bit better. Reminds of the time I broke my arm, play-swordfighting as a child. Hells, that was unpleasant.

He slowly walks to the door and opens it with his left hand. I'll have to practice left-handed. This won't do, at all. Stepping into the sunlight, he walks past the men scrubbing his blood off the deck. Sorry about that. It was not my intention to give you all work to do, he comments with a smirk. He finds Edwin pacing in his chambers, and attempts to salute, habit causing him to halfway raise his right hand before wincing in pain and grunting. I have... little to report: no meaningful information gathered. I was accosted by a pair of thugs near a tavern. It is.... unlikely that the two will do so again- without additional help. It is likewise unlikely that I will venture out in such a fashion without a companion. I would be willing to lead you to the place, but surprised if we learned anything of value. The barkeep was not forthcoming- only noteworthy because I did him something of a favor before asking one in return.

I will... revisit him, sometime when my arm is better.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-10, 08:10 PM
"This port has several such fellows that we will revisit, I believe. Not least of which their upstart Lord and a particular guard captain who needs a good horse whipping. The important thing is that I don't have to replace my First Mate." Edwin turns to the deckhands. "Recall any men left on the shore. It is time we were leaving." They had had plenty of time to reprovision and fill water casks, but it meant cutting short the little time the men had on shore. "If i can manage it, there will be shore leave at our next stop, but I'll not have more members of my crew accosted in this port. We leave as soon as all are aboard." Crews always lost one or two men in any port. The pay and conditions weren't good enough to keep all of them, and some were only aboard the ship because it was preferable to jail or to escape problems at home. The first port in this rich land would be a siren's call to them, the only saving grace was that it was English and not Dutch, like most of the crew. Had it been a Dutch port, more than a third of the men would disappear, and their next stop still had that risk, though it was less attractive than this one.

Farmerbink
2015-01-10, 09:39 PM
A grim expression falls over Philip's features, and he forces a weak smile at the comment regarding his replacement. After taking a deep breath and wincing, he nods instead of his normal salute. Of course. I will send a runner to the nearest likely tavern. After finding one of the boys and giving him his orders, Philip returns to his own small room, and lies on his bunk until he hears the muster call to push off.

Norandil
2015-01-11, 12:43 PM
There's quite a bit of a crowd watching you depart, including a handful of guards as well - but they don't try to stop you, content with you leaving so soon. Most of your people are back on deck as well, with only a couple missing; you waited long enough to be sure they don't want to go.

The weather is not in your favour and you face opposite winds most of the time, so the journey takes you one full week to get to Knok Kust. But at least it is an uneventful journey, and those few ships that you encounter on your way pass you as distant triangles on the horizon, not trying to make any contact.

It changes when you reach the Kust's waters, though. The waters around the island are known to be treacherous, so you happily fall into another ship's wake, letting it to lead the way; from the few signals you've exchanged you've learned it is a local barque, so you could trust it with clear conscience.

When you finally reach the port and find a safe place to moor, a clerk drops by to take care of all the paperwork. Hearing and seeing that you belong to the fleet, it all takes only a few minutes before you can get ashore, free to pursue your errands. The island can boast a very spacious port but not so many ships, so you got a luxury to moor directly at a pier.

This settlement is much unlike Emerald Landing. While the English town appeared to have a typical architecture, continental even, with only a bit of foreign people filling the streets, Knok Kust is its reverse; the jungle creeps nearly directly into the town, using to its advantage the fact that there's no wall guarding it from the inland, and only a small fortress overlooking the fort. The buildings clearly show local culture's influence and you also see that the streets are stuffed with natives; not to the point where you have to struggle to see a white face, but the change is noticable nonetheless.

A single town guard is waiting for you to step down from the gangplank, commisioned to serve as your guide should you decide you need it.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-11, 03:53 PM
"Phillip, you can accompany me if you'd like, but I won't require it. You still need rest to recover from your injury." Edwin heads down the ramp and meets the guard. "Please lead me to Governor Holt. I have orders to speak with him." Edwin was not eager to push the governor, but that was the whole purpose why he was here. "Do you know of a gunsmith that operates from this port? I'm in need of a pair of pistols, mine were lost overboard on the journey here."

Farmerbink
2015-01-11, 04:39 PM
I will certainly accompany you, captain. I would be remiss in the extreme should I allow you to risk what I dealt with. He stays near to Edwin, but does not volunteer much beyond his presence.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-11, 10:54 PM
"I'm sure I don't have to tell you again that we are in a dangerous business. I won't let you head off into seedy districts by yourself, you'll take at least one other crewman to watch your back, or I'll go. I should have just gone, no matter what that guard said."

Norandil
2015-01-12, 09:00 AM
"Oh na, we don' really have a gunsmith ere. It's too "humid" here thay say, whatever that mean. We get our supplies like that from the continent, sir, so you may look aroun and maybe there's something for sale. Now follow me, yes?" the guard says, adjusting his belt and diving into the crowd. You struggle a bit to keep up with him, him being unaware you are totally oblivious as to how to navigate the town, which is very chaotic.

Panting heavily, you somehow manage to follow him to the governor's palace, which is not a palace, really. You stand in front of a solid and pretty, but modest two-storey house with a couple of guards standing on duty by the door. One could say governor Holt wants to hide, since it's located in the less populated regions of the town and not in the centre like usual, but the sweet bliss of silence and a distant sound of waves clashing with rocky shore quickly makes you want to settle here as well.

The two guards block your path asking for your reason to visit governor, but it takes just two or three minutes of explanation before one of them goes in to announce you - even petter, considering you being still slightly winded. Then you are being led through his lively house and into a small office room.

"Ahoy there, welcome! Please sit gentlemen, don't let the official atmosphere ruin this lovely day for you. Wine? Coconut milk? It's delicious when you know how to serve it," welcomes you a middle-aged man sitting behind a desk, immediately jumping to his feet to offer you a drink. You are honestly shocked when you realise that's Gustaaf Holt - he's wearing loose, colourful clothes very much alike those worn by common citizens, only made from better materials. He's also completely bold, and without a wig or toupee either. Very out of fashion.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-12, 07:17 PM
"Wine, thank you." Edwin said. As a Captain, he was used to not wearing the latest fashions, particularly the more superfluous of them. He certainly looked dashing in such finery, but it was uncomfortable, and he could sympathize with the governor not wanting to wear them so far away from civilization.

"I am afraid I am here on direct orders from Rupert Klein. His orders are for you to make a distraction to lure the other major power's attention to the western edge of the archipelago. You are to use any resources available to you, and this is of utmost importance to him. He will be very displeased if you slack in your efforts." Edwin recites it without emotion in his voice, as if it was a memorized message. He does not want to attach himself to those words, or be remembered for saying them.

Norandil
2015-01-13, 04:05 AM
"Oh is that so. I'm wondering, why would I do that. I see no Rupert Klein here, and I don't remember taking orders from him either. So tell me, mister, what is brewing for us on the continent?" asks Holt in an almost cheerful tone. He hands you your drinks and sits back, enjoying his own treat, looking at you expectantly.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-13, 07:58 AM
"The correct honorific is Duke or Your Lordship, governor, not mister, though Captain will do." Edwin needed every ounce of authority to convince the governor to do what he must. "I do not share your ability to avoid orders from Klein. He has been placed above me in the chain of command, and as long as I serve the Dutch Navy, I must obey that chain. He has eight ships of the line and will be using them to take back what he can of former Dutch holdings, starting in the Eastern edge of the Archipelago. If you value your country, you will do your duty and as he asks." Wiping any sternness that crept onto his face, Edwin moved on to the next matter.

"When we left some months ago, the Continent was as it always is: a bee's nest waiting to be kicked. France and England are at a bitter and tense peace. Spain and England are at a bitter and tense peace. France and Spain are at a biter and tense peace. Holland, of course, is caught in the middle. Spain tries to push her influence, as their royal ties allow. France tries to push influence as its nearest continental neighbor, and England tries with her merchants and sea power. If there is to be war, it will be over something like control and power over the Dutch, or over these lands here."

Norandil
2015-01-13, 09:27 AM
"Duke, viscount, prince. Heard it all, seen it all," Holt dismisses your comment with a wave of hand. "Under this roof everyone's equal and everyone's measured with his deeds, not titles. That's why you will have to forgive me if I call you mister again, Captain.

I am well aware of the political situation too. Klein may think I am a fool, considering how he opposes my every decision in the Staten, but I assure you, I probably know more about this incoming conflict than he does, even though I am sitting here, on the Archipelago." The man stands up and begins strolling through the office. He's very calm throughout the conversation, even though you see the news you brought displeased him greatly.

"What I know for sure, is that we are not meant to begin the war. And you know why, mister Seymour?" he turns around to face Phillip. "Because the secret is, nobody gains in times of war; it is only a race to determine who loses the most. Moreover, just think what an impact a war would have for all those people living here! A lot of scum, yes, but so may innocent lives..." Gustaaf's voice trails away as he stands by his window, looking down onto the thriving town.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-13, 10:21 AM
"Those that lose the most in war are often those that have nothing to do with it. Do you think dangerous shoal waters will keep your enemies out forever? How many Spanish or a French or English merchants have docked here since the last war? How many emissaries on commissioned vessels? I have seen the lay of these waters once and I think I know the way in and out of your harbor. Even without that, an Empire can afford to march an army through that jungle and size this town, or bring up ketch rigged mortar ships, who wouldn't need to breech the shoals at all and burn the entire island. War is coming. It will be bloody and brutal. I have seen something of such a war. I have watched men who I had laughed and gambled with be turned into a red mist before my eyes. I have seen men beg for me to kill them rather than lose a leg or arm to a surgeon's saw. I even had a man who was missing everything below his navel insist he would be fit for duty once he had a little rest. War is coming and I do not think you have the stomach for it."

Farmerbink
2015-01-13, 10:45 AM
Philip, remembering his time in the land-based military, tries to force the resurgent images from his mind. As he envisions men bleeding and dying, he winces and sharply intakes his breath. After a few moments, he is able to clear his mind's eye, with a brief shake of his head.

Other than an expression of distinct displeasure, he allows Edwin to speak without interruption.

Norandil
2015-01-13, 11:26 AM
You see the man nod slowly. "Maybe you are right, young man. Maybe I do not have a stomach for it. And that's because I've experienced war, as opposed to you watching it. Yes, I know who you are, I know your story. And if you believe you were on your own, inches from death, well..."

Gustaaf Holt turns back to you, his face now strict. "While I may not have a stomach for war, you don't have a temper for it. You don't understand it. You see it as a game, a system that you can play. And like every stripling, you believe you are the best at it. It is people like you, mister Edwin, who are responsible for the war's brutal horror.

Consider your message delivered. You may go now, one of my men will show you around. Have a nice day."

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-13, 11:47 AM
"My bloodline does not protect me from shot or splinter. The sea doesn't ask for your pedigree before it pulls you under. I have been a seaman since I was a child. I have tasted the lash and faced down enemy fire. Naval Warfare may not be as massively bloody as land warfare but if you lose at sea you are dead or worse."

"There are two things I would require from you before I depart. A full pardon, without a name on it, and a letter of marque, similarly with no name, granting permission to seize French vessels."

Norandil
2015-01-13, 11:57 AM
The whole answer you get is summarized by a raised eyebrow. "Oh, is that so?"

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-13, 12:10 PM
Edwin says nothing. His career at sea has given his eyes the look that speaks of experience at war. As to the rest, let the governor guess why he requested the items. They would certainly be a boon, but were not necessary to his plan.

Norandil
2015-01-13, 12:24 PM
And so the stare contest begins, both sides unflinching.

Farmerbink
2015-01-13, 12:52 PM
Phillip's confusion runs rampant across his face. He knows enough, however to not interrupt either his superior, or this unusual man who claims the title of governor. He stands behind Edwin, desiring nothing less than to be anywhere else, witnessing anything else, at this particular moment.

...except maybe not back in that alley.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-13, 12:52 PM
"We were stopped by French vessels upon entering the Archipelago. They had among them a preacher who I very much want some words with in private. They intend war whether you see it or not, and a Dutch vessel operating against them with a letter of Marque would draw ships and men away from those intentions, and also away from this island, since you value it's safety. As to the pardon, I need some leverage over that preacher to convince him to tell me what he knows. They guard him tightly." Edwin was not telling all his intentions, but every word was true.

Norandil
2015-01-13, 01:40 PM
"...Bellerose." comes out of Holt's mouth as a barely audible whisper. He begins to flip some papers lying on the desk until he finds something and starts to read it, ignoring you for a moment.

"You are very lucky to be sitting here," he finally adresses you, "because it was not a French ship at all. You had a doubtful pleasure of meeting "Padre" Andre face to face, and you managed to walk away. He's a scallywag of worst sort, an ex-priest who's now terrorizing merchants on these waters."

The governor apprizes you with a stern gaze, "You do not want to cross him. Not headlong, at least. He's a big fish, he's got money, he's got connections. And he is cunning, more than I want to give him credit for. He gets the scent of you two on his trail and you may start counting your days, boys, which means you need to be even more cunning than he is."

He starts to flip a few pages again, then takes out a clean sheet of paper and writes something down. He then folds it, seals with wax and lies down in front of Edwin. "I tell you this: bring me Andre's head, and we will return to this conversation. I may even consider joining forces with Klein - but if I do, it will be on my terms.

If you find yourselves in times of dire need, take this letter to a man called Alpert; you should be able to find him in Port Royale. But only contact him if you absolutely have to, not earlier! Now go, I have a lot of work to do."

Farmerbink
2015-01-13, 01:45 PM
For the first time, Philip comments aloud. I knew he wasn't being forthright with us, but I cannot help but wonder what his intentions were. He badly garbled a few verses in French, included some nonsense from an entirely different source, but...

Captain, I think we should closely inspect our crew when we return to the ship. Is there any chance he could have planted someone among our own men? I- Philip returns to his thoughts, unwilling to risk revealing more without being certain as to the loyalties of the governor.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-13, 02:15 PM
"My thanks. We will be careful. Until we meet again, governor." Edwin takes the paper, turns and leaves, asking the guard to take them to what passes for a marketplace on this island, asking around for someone willing to sell a pair of pistols.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-13, 07:39 PM
Edwin examines the pistols he just purchased, and turns to Phillip. "Is there anything you want while we are here? These have exhausted most of my available coin, but we have some cargo we can liquidate."

Farmerbink
2015-01-14, 09:22 AM
One hand instinctively drifts to his recent injury as Philip ponders the question. Some sort of armor would be good to have, for certain. It occurs to me that it might be nice to find something lighter that we could wear beneath more typical outerwear. Knowledge is power, after all, and if our enemies think we are more vulnerable than we are, it could play to our benefit.

.... Of course, if we're obviously well armored, they may be even less inclined to settle conflicts with violence, which certainly has some appeal to it. I may have gotten lucky once, but I'm not eager to try my luck again- and certainly not without something protective.

On a different note, we should see if we can find any useful information about this John Wells person. I wasn't able to learn anything useful back at the Emerald Landing- except perhaps that he's active in the archipelago in the first place.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-14, 03:24 PM
"Look around and see if there's any armor you like. Then we can worry about finding John Wells."

Norandil
2015-01-15, 07:02 AM
After spending a lively hour rummaging through the local markets, you both satisfy your needs and walk away with considerably lighter purses. Edwin got himself a real beauty - a very expensive, but reliable and technologically advanced flintlock. It's weighted properly and the materials seem to be good, too. It comes with a small amount of bullets and powder, but getting a refill shouldn't pose any problems.

In the meantime, Phillip hunts down an armor, so to say. It is a thick, well-served leather jacket reinforced with iron rings here and there, and a pair of similarly thick breeches. Leather gloves, belt and a hood complement the whole attire. There are several seams here and there, indicating that a previous owner took his share of beating, but it should serve you well enough. Of course, you won't be able to wear it under your normal clothes and five minutes in it makes you sweat, but a cloak and dim light should allow you to conceal it without much of a hassle.

Shopping done, you step into a tavern, preferably slightly further away from your own ship, to avoid your men uncovering your identities, should you choose to pretend to be someone else. Sitting down and ordering a drink, you look around the place. It is modest but neat and there are several customers in already. A couple of sailors, some peons, a storyteller mumbling something about krakens and sea serpents. A man about your age, innkeeper by the looks of it, disappears into an alcove with a full tray, indicating that there's a bigger persona here as well.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-15, 07:38 AM
"You'd think with all the ships that travel through these islands that one of the Empires would take care of all the pirates." Edwin says loud enough to be overheard. He changes his tone and verbage to the rougher sort used by career sailors. He would never make it sound perfect, he pronounced words too clearly from his tutoring at a young age, but it would be harder to tell his lineage. "Bloody pirates are bad for business. While you were ashore at Emerald Landing, there was a known pirate, sailing under British colors, able to come and go as he pleased. Doesn't matter that he stole a few ships from the Navy, or that he was a wanted man. Its despicable." Edwin watches the innkeeper leave too the back room. He waits for the innkeeper to return before asking him. "Bartender, have you ever heard of an English captain called Ishmel Johannes?"

Norandil
2015-01-16, 04:18 AM
Hearing your remark about pirates, the sailors sitting a few tables away of you nod grimly in unison and raise their mugs in a silent toast, but neither of them comments. A usual topic - pirates. Nobody likes them, nobody benefits from their activity, unless you are one of them, that is. Uncertainty is just bad for business.

"Can't say I have, no!" replies the young man. "Not many of you folks visit this port, and rumour didn't bring a word about him, I'd know. Who is e, anyway, this Johannes? Doesn't really sound like a Briton, if you ask me."

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-16, 09:09 AM
"If I can ever find him or where he stashed the lovely daughter of his, he will be my father in law. As to the name, I don't know the family history but you have all sorts on the Isles whose ancestors came over from the continent or other parts of the world. The name is Germanic, so could be from anywhere in the middle of Europe." Edwin nods to the back room. "Got some rich bloke back there that's too good to drink with the rest of us? "

Farmerbink
2015-01-16, 12:59 PM
"If I can ever find him or where he stashed the lovely daughter of his, he will be my father in law. As to the name, I don't know the family history but you have all sorts on the Isles whose ancestors came over from the continent or other parts of the world. The name is Germanic, so could be from anywhere in the middle of Europe." Edwin nods to the back room. "Got some rich bloke back there that's too good to drink with the rest of us? "

Phillip removes as much of his makeshift armor as he quickly can and laughs aloud. In a self-deprectaing tone, he comments Heh, who in't too good ta drink with us common folk? If I could 'fford it, I'd never be seen 'n me own company, neither! Bloody nev'r know what's gonn' happen with all of us around!

Norandil
2015-01-16, 01:28 PM
The innkeeper gives Phillip a quizzical look and a tentative smile before answering Edwin's question "I like Germans. Solid people, you ask me. Payin on time, fine with a flagon and some stew. This one back there," he waves his hand towards the alcove, "is a frog. Picky, but payin well, so I do what he say. Any customer is a welcome customer, so I say."

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-16, 03:27 PM
"Germans can have a temper, and vengeance is something they pay on time and in full as well. They make great friends and terrible enemies. As to the French...Can't say I like the French....no Englishman would....not as proper one anyway...but I can't say I've got any reason to hate them. A sailor can't be too choosy when it comes to grudges. A man you sail beside one day might be trying to kill you the next, and that's not withstanding the pirates and privateers. Like I was saying before the Jade Dancer was in a British port under British colors with Bennett still at the helm. That bastard stole more British ships than I care to count, and they let him go with impunity...." Edwin let's his rant trail off and takes another long drink.

Norandil
2015-01-16, 04:34 PM
"Can't say I know this folk neither. Don' ask me bout Englishmen. Two of them I know is Wells and Morgan, but everyone knows them. Oh an there's Jacob from down the street, still owing me silver coin!" the innkeeper looks around angrily, as if checking shady corners for any trace of this Jacob. "And there's Blackwood, too. Tough bastard, wouldn't like to meet 'im in an dark alley. He'll get Wells head, I tell you this, even ol' Johny won't beat Blackwood!

And what you too be doing here anyways?"

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-16, 06:18 PM
"With all the stories about Wells and Morgan everyone knows of them. I think they are too fanciful to exist. Have you ever met or seen them? Pah, nursery takes to scare people. I heard one fool claim to be a quartermaster to Wells....or maybe Morgan....Can't recall which....load of fools." Edwin takes a long drink of ale. "As to what we are doing here, we'll I'm here to see the governor. My pa is the King of England and I'm a bloody Lord." He points to Phillip. "He's the King of Norway but don't tell anyone. " Edwin guffawed at the "joke". "We ate sailors, man, you think we go anywhere our ship doesnt?"

Norandil
2015-01-16, 06:33 PM
The man shrugs. "You could just told you don't wanna share. That your business, no need to come up with this nobility crap story. Just call me if you need another ale, aye?" he adds friendly before moving on to other customers.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-16, 07:33 PM
"Oh, don't be like that, barkeep. It was just a bit of fun." Edwin said, continuing drinking. He lowers his voice and whispers to Phillip. "I'd like to talk to the Frenchman, but no way to do it without drawing a lot of attention. We could just wait for him to leave, find out what ship he is on and wait for him."

Farmerbink
2015-01-18, 11:16 AM
Philip turns his attention to Edwin. Perhaps the bartender could tell us what his business interests are? It might be best if we simply ask him to present us to the man. It's unlikely that anything would come to violence here in the tavern...

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-18, 12:25 PM
"Barkeep, that frenchman in the back room, is he a captain or a merchant? My friend and I might be looking to switch ships, and I can speak a few words of French, and he can speak a few others. Do you think we could talk to him?"

Norandil
2015-01-18, 01:19 PM
"Knock yourself out. It ain't my lunch you will be interrupting," he says without turning. "And merchant it is. I think."

There are two men in the alcove, most likely the merchant and his captain, taking care of the boring seafaring stuff for his employer. Their conversation cuts immediately when you enter and they both look at you, surprised. The sailor shifts in his seat slightly, but his hand still hangs in the air, holding a wooden spoon.

The merchant, easily recognisable thanks to his posh outfit, wipes his mouth with a napkin and sets away his meal, clearing his throat with a sip of wine. "Now, who might those two be, I wonder? What do you think, friend? Shall we invite them to dine with us?" he asks in clear Dutch after facing you again.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-18, 01:35 PM
"I am Captain Taragon, and this is my first officer, Phillip." Edwin says, once he is sure the door is firmly closed behind him. "Pardon the interruption, we will keep our disruption brief." Edwin speaks in Dutch as well, failing to speak as clearly as the other man. "I told the barkeep that we were looking for work as sailors. In truth, we are hunting for pirates, on orders from the Dutch Navy. None of those around here know much, as most are landsmen, but a merchant such as yourself surely has had run-ins with pirate scum."

If I need to test foreign language:
B3: [roll0]

Norandil
2015-01-18, 02:20 PM
"Oh sure I had my share of encounters with pirates. I usually greet them with steel and fire! What makes you think I know their names? Gods forbid, if you spend enough time with a pirate to learn his name, you are probably long dead already. Please, sit, and elaborate a bit more how I can help you, captain Taragon."

No need for that roll, no libraries nearby, unfortunately :smallsmile:

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-18, 03:31 PM
Edwin sits down, gesturing to Phillip that he should as well. "My thanks. As I said, we are looking for pirates. The waters of the Archipelago have been haunted by their kind for too long. Naval patrols of all four nations have reduced them, but to eliminate them altogether we need to understand where they operate with impunity. Have you noticed any areas where pirates are highly active?"

Farmerbink
2015-01-18, 04:15 PM
Philip takes the offered seat. Thank you, gentlemen. In particular, we've heard quite a bit about some scoundrel named Jonathan Wells. My parents always said the best way to kill a snake was to take off it's head; we mean to put that saying to the test, if you follow me.

Norandil
2015-01-19, 02:39 AM
The merchant, introducing himself as Theodore, is drinking when Phillip mentions Wells, which causes him to snort mightily and spray you with wine. Both men then cackle for a while before regaining their breath. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have reacted like that. It's only because you either try to fool me, or are dense beyond comprehension! Wells? A pirate? Nonsense! If there's one man that hates pirates, it is him. So either drop this show or ditch your informer, because he doesn't know what he is talking about."

Theodore returns to his wine before adding, "You want to hunt pirates? You have my blessing. But believing you can eliminate them? That's a strech, because you will never get rid of pirates, unfortunately. Even Wells can't."

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-19, 09:21 AM
"Perhaps our informers are wrong, one cannot always trust everyone." Edwin says with a frown. "It sounds like you have personal experience with the man, have you met him?"

Norandil
2015-01-19, 09:56 AM
"No, I haven't," states the merchant after a short pause. "I don't need to know him personally. Everyone around here knows him. Rats, even Europe talks about him! That's why I don't believe you that you don't know him. Say what you want, I am no fool. And I don't care either - it is your problem if you have a feud with Wells. But you should really work on your bluff, it is too easy to call it."

The men rise from their seats, their meal finished. "I don't know about pirates, but you want to do some shady business, look around Cannelle islands. That cesspool writhes with maggots. Now excuse us, we are done here. Nice talking to you two."

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-19, 11:37 AM
"My thanks for your information, it has been most enlightened." Edwin gives a curt nod and leaves the room. Once out in the bar area again, he tosses the barkeep a few coins to pay for their drinks and mutters "Lousy frog." before storming out with Phillip in tow. He doesn't head back for the ship, but goes into the city, looking for a blind turn into an alleyway or side street that isn't busy. When he finds one, he turns into it purposefully, and stops as soon as he is out of sight of the road behind them.

"I want to be sure we aren't followed. What do you think of that? Are the French unaware of Wells being a pirate, or is your information from that drunk bad?"

Farmerbink
2015-01-19, 07:21 PM
Phillip curses and spits in the dust. Hells, how should I know?! All I learned in Emerald Landing is to never leave sight of the ship without you!

He paces back and forth in the narrow alley, quickly digging a rut into the loose sand. After a moment, he turns to Edwin.
I have an idea. It stands to reason that if the English and French are unhappy with one another, one man's pirate could easily be another man's golden boy, no?

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-19, 09:17 PM
"That makes sense, and also rules him out for our purposes. If I must hurt the Empire, that will not be the way." Edwin watches the alley entrance. "That does mean we are back to where we were. Of course there is the man hunting Wells, this Blackwood. Of course we've now gone hunting an entirely new target. And there's the preacher and Lillian to find." Edwin sighed.

"We should sail soon. I have an idea, if the goal is to cause trouble at least. How are you at forging seals? We need orders other than what we have." Edwin smiled.

Farmerbink
2015-01-20, 08:10 AM
Philip nods, listening carefully as Edwin speaks. I have some experience with such pursuits. Why don't we discuss your intentions back on board? That is, unless you have other tasks to attend to on shore.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-20, 11:00 AM
Convinced Noone was following, Edwin started back to the ship. "We should sail soon."

Once on board he relates his plan. "We will head to one of the lesser patrolled areas and see what we can find. I will have you forge a letter of Marque from the governor and a set of orders telling us to hunt French merchant vessels. I hope we won't need them but our mission is to cause trouble. Are we ready to make way?"

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-22, 07:20 PM
Discussing the plan with Phillip put Edwin in a bad mood. After all, how hard could it be to fake someone's handwriting, particularly to someone who has never seen it? Or copying a seal? They could just use the Royal Seal on his signet if they needed to. Still, Edwin trusted Phillip in matters of the criminal sort, so he agreed that they couldn't make acceptable fakes.

"Cast off, and set a course for Isla Corazona. We'll need to stop there for water and supplies before heading on to Morgan's Refuge." Edwin turns to Phillip and speaks in a lower voice. "I feel listless, but the primary reason I came here was to find Lillian. If she's anywhere, she's in a british colony, or at least that's the place to look. Her father is a British Captain, or was last I saw of him, so its more likely to find him in a British Port. Failing that, there's always the Jade Dancer to find."

Norandil
2015-01-24, 06:12 AM
The journey is smooth this time - no storms, good winds, no preachers boarding your deck. You cross the Sea Serpent, a chain of small islands inhabited only by natives, and make your way to Isla Corazona.

Isla Corazona. Relatively small. Quite rocky. But perfectly situated in the middle of the archipelago. Thus, it boasts enormous fortress, massive, black and intimidating, asking the world to dare and challenge it. It is ready for a siege, and its powerful cannons stationed on stout towers want nothing less than to sink some ships.

Even though Spain is not very powerful on these waters lately, this is the reason for them to still count, especially in times of war. Whoever makes Spain their enemy, will have a hard time getting past these defences.

Resupplying takes you some time, so both the captain and his first mate go onshore again, sniffling around for any piece of information holding some value. And there is one such thing, an interesting fact - a couple of months ago Louis Viteri, a royal cousin, came here and replaced the previous governor. The community doesn't know what to say about him yet; some claim he is a mindless brute, the others insist he is more than he looks, yet others just say living under his heel will be difficult.

~~~~~

Leaving the Spanish settlement in your wake, you set sails for Morgan's Refuge. This is not a single island, though, and more of a network of several islands, each with a small garrison. You jump into a launch and row to the main one, hidden in an inner bay. Soon you stand on the cobbles of Tarwick, basking in an evening sun, wondering what your next move should be.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-24, 11:26 AM
"Perhaps we should have tried Port Royale first, but this place was closer, and the name seemed fortuitous." Edwin said. He had worn some of his simpler clothes, still fine enough for a successful Captain, but not so fine to draw attention. No embroidery or lace, but they were silk. Linen and Wool chaffed, particularly when wet, so this wasn't something he was willing to give up, despite how useful it might be to appear less well off than he was. "Let's find where the officers of any ships that come in drink at."

There was always the risk that someone on orders to retrieve him could be present here. He was hoping that they were still a few weeks behind him, and looking at the Dutch settlements. His hand idly went to his pistol, holstered at easy grasp on his left side. The weight of his sword was a familiar comfort as well. He didn't envy shooting and fighting his way out of a trap, but he doubted one would spring up.

"Keep your eyes open. I don't intend to use my full name, but enough people in the Royal Navy know me and know my face that there could be trouble."

Once he knew if anyone worth knowing was here, he could go about the secondary part of his mission. British sailors were the best in the world, and he intended to recruit a few.

Farmerbink
2015-01-24, 11:34 AM
"Keep your eyes open. I don't intend to use my full name, but enough people in the Royal Navy know me and know my face that there could be trouble."

Philip nods as the skiff is moored at the hidden bay. "As you say, Captain Andrew. Your first mate, Peter, is always happy to oblige." He nimbly climbs out of the skiff first, before offering a hand to Edwin. He looks about briefly, appraising the locations and sizes of the small islands surrounding this one, turns to face the main bay of Morgan's Refuge and smiles.

To a nearby dockhand, he asks, "We seek some of the simpler pleasures this island has to offer. Could you be so kind as to direct us?"

Norandil
2015-01-25, 04:33 PM
"Tha's depends how simple you talkin'. Thar's be Uncle Joe on tha other side of docks if ye wanna clear throats, or Busty Mermaid for, er, oth'r pleasures, jus down the road. Can't miss it, got a sign wit, er, busty mermaid on it."

Following the man's instructions, you quickly find the 'Uncle Joe' tavern. It is not exactly what you were hoping for, but being already there, you decide to step in and at least ask for further directions. You chatter with a barkeep for a while, learning local gossip, but disappointingly, nothing interesting. But lack of information is still some information, so at least you know there are no notable figures in town. You are about to leave, changing local, when a man sits down right next to you near the bar.

"Well, howdy! Excuse me my interruption, but so it happened that I've heard you are going to Victoria. And if you are going there, it means you have a ship, or enough money to get one." The man is ordinarily looking, just a face in the crowd. However, his accent betrays him to hail from northern England, maybe even Scotland. "And a ship, ah, a ship means crew! Crew means job, job means coin, coin means, well, coin can mean nearly everything on this side of the ocean. I have a few lackeys with meself, good boys, hard-working, honest. We'd make an excellent crew! What do you say? I'm Pete, by the way. Prickly Pete, they call me. Prickly, because those knives," he points at twin sheaths on his belt. Both of you being swordsmen, you don't doubt the man's prowess with those dirks; his fluent movements, the way he scans his surroundings, are all the proof you need.

Pete appears to be in his thirties. Not particularly muscular, rather lean, but nimble. He's wearing plain clothes, stained here and there, with a few tears; only the knives seem to be in perfect shape. Obviously the man's down on his luck currently, but you can see vast experience in his eyes. His voice makes him oddly amiable, too.

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-25, 09:33 PM
"We might have space on our ship for able bodied seamen. Where have you served before? And how many is a few?" Edwin was not quite willing to trust a total stranger, but he did need more experienced crewmen, and someone who knew how to handle themselves.

"We are in service of the Dutch Navy at this time, does that change your willingness to serve? I don't intend on firing on a British vessel, I am still loyal to my homeland."

Farmerbink
2015-01-26, 11:43 AM
Philip smiles as his captain begins asking the questions that spring into his mind. He turns his back to the bar, and places his elbows on it, to face into the larger room in general. Looking about the room, he tries to see if anyone else is paying perhaps a bit too much attention to this conversation, but keeps his ears trained on Pete- eager for the man's response.

Norandil
2015-01-26, 02:03 PM
"Anything that fills my belly and purse, captain. Dutch, Spanish, you name it. Just not pirates. Anyway, here's the story:" Pete shifts in his spot, turning around slightly to see you better. "I came here on a vessel called Dragoon, commandeered by a man called Lucas. He had orders to hunt pirates, you know. And that's always a good thing, even more if you get paid doing so. But you see, when we finally got to this cursed place, Lucas kept sitting on his hands! We were doin nothing, and he didn't want to pay us neither. So I took a four men and left, thinking it'll be easy to find a different job. But here I am, rotting in this port.

Just you know. Unlike the others, I ain't no sailor. I can hold a rope if told so, but what you want me for is this!" he says and draws a knife faster than you can blink, holding it an inch from Edwin's eye. He then flips it and hands over to young captain with a nod. "I can also get what you want, no matter how exotic it is and where we are, you just need to ask.

So, did I pass the test?"

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-26, 03:42 PM
"I may find you useful. "Edwin says, removing his hand from the grip of his still holstered pistol. He was not afraid of being injured, and the man was very swift. "Is this Captain Lucas still in port? I have heard of the Dragoon, but only because the name is odd for a ship. Is the Captain as odd as the ship's name?"

Norandil
2015-01-26, 04:04 PM
"Odd? Maybe. I'd call him indecisive, because he's still in port indeed. Shnyava, on the far side of bay. The captain himself's on one of the smaller islands recently, enjoying warm embrace of some sailor's wife, I presume. I keep an eye on him, he still owes me some coins and as long as there's a chance I'll get it, I'll keep nagging above his ear. Have a business with him?"

Farmerbink
2015-01-26, 08:03 PM
Philip locks eyes with Edwin for just a moment, before a wicked grin splits his features. Well, I cannot rightly speak to whether or not we had business with him, but if our newest crew member has business with him, I guess that means we do too, eh? Surely we can make time to pay him a visit, Andrew?

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-26, 10:42 PM
"May as well while we are here. How much does he owe you?"

Norandil
2015-01-27, 06:09 AM
"Ha, I like you already! Three half-crowns is what he owes me, but he says it is me who owes him. Bloody ridiculous. And one half-a-crown for each of my mates, that'd be two crowns total. Sodding idiot probably spent it all on gifts and whatnot, or spinned it down the Mermaid's tail."

Pete stands up and stretches his arms, yawning mightily. "So, captains, any assignment for me?"

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-27, 07:18 PM
"See if you can find any rumor of a ship called the Jade Dancer, or a Captain named Ishmel Johannes. Otherwise, I have nothing for you. We will be departing in the morning, please have your things stowed before then." Edwin gathered up Phillip and headed out looking for Captain Lucas.

Farmerbink
2015-01-27, 09:15 PM
Philip nods, smiling at their new recruit. As they step into the sunlight, he raises an eyebrow at his captain and mutters, just barely loud enough to be heard by Edwin, trust him?

tigerusthegreat
2015-01-27, 10:13 PM
"Of course not." Edwin said with a smile.. "But if he was here to kill me, he would have."

Norandil
2015-01-28, 04:51 AM
Pete gives you a slack salute and marches out of the bar, disappearing deeper into the town. You head in the opposite way, looking for Dragoon, hoping to find captain Lucas. It isn't difficult, as Pete's information is correct and there's a shnyava bearing this name moored near a pier. You walk up the plank, looking around.

The ship is in a sorry state. Messy, neglected, with only four sailors lying around deck, half of them apparently drunk. The remaining two give you an uninterested look before returning to their conversation, and it is you who need to walk up to them. They tell you to bugger off at first, but insistance backed up with a few coins looses their tongues enough for you to learn that Lucas disappeared on a smaller island about a week ago. The ship's grounded as well, since according to them they are all that's left from the crew, everyone else just left and not many people would return.

Following their instructions, you use the remaining hours of daylight to get to the second island, one filled with pretty posh residences, and after asking some guards for further directions, you find yourself standing in front of a cottage surrounded by a neat lawn and a fence. There's light inside, but the gate is closed firmly and there's nobody outside for you to talk to.

Farmerbink
2015-01-31, 06:27 PM
Right then, Philip begins. Shall we just head up to the door and knock, or yell from here? Of course, we could always pay them an unexpected visit....

He turns to Edwin, eyebrow raised.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-01, 12:38 AM
"Do you see any better ways in than the front door?" Edwin asked. The letter he found had him wondering what this captain was up to, and announcing themselves, or bashing through a gate didn't seem like the best course of action. Edwin looked around for another entry point, maybe some way to climb onto the roof of the building or reach a second story window.

Farmerbink
2015-02-01, 09:01 AM
Hmmm. Let's check around back. As they start walking away, Philip continues. I didn't want to be too obvious, but one of the front windows was cracked open a bit- we can always go back around there.

They come to the side lot, and notice the back door, or we could sneak in back here? I like the look of the window, personally. No telling if that door is locked or watched, from here...

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-01, 12:53 PM
"Window looks good to me." Edwin said, heading for the window and sneaking into the house.

Norandil
2015-02-02, 10:55 AM
The two of you circle the house inconspicuously for a while, making use of the dying light and the quietness of the district. Deciding to use the window, you find a proper, shadowy place to climb the iron fence, away from the illuminated windows, and begin your little 'assault'.

Edwin goes on first and covers the ground safely, but just as he waves his hand for Phillip to follow him in, his first mate hears steps approaching and lets go of the fence.

"Hold ho! Wassa doin' here, fella?" a guard calls him. One of the local watch, his duty must be to patrol these streets, keeping all the filth and crime closer to the docks. He appears to be quite laid back though, and you are positive that he hasn't seen Edwin hiding on the property.

Farmerbink
2015-02-02, 12:38 PM
One hand on the fence, looking inward, Philip turns to the guard in surprise.

Good evening, sir! I was actually looking for a friend of mine- goes by Lucas? Haven't seen the chap since our training as pages, back on the mainland, but a mutual acquaintance told me he was out here. He gestures to the estate nearby. He described this place to a 'T,' so I'm pretty sure this is it. I just thought I'd drop by and see if we could reconnect, but it appears I've come too late to meet him tonight. -That is, if you don't mind me asking, unless you could help? I'm loathe to barge on up to a closed estate; I don't want to give him the wrong impression, you see.

...And honestly, I'm not completely sure he'd remember me. He was a few years older, and you know how those things go when you're a lad. I guess he was more of a childhood role model than a friend, come to think it.... but here I am rambling on, and I'm sure you've more important things to do than listen to be blab all night!

Let me ask a quick question, and I'll be on my way. Do you know when the owner of this estate accepts visitors? Should I just come back in the morning, or might there be a better time to find him out and about?

I'm guessing there's enough half-truths in here that I'll need a falsehood test, but I'm hoping for advantage, since- after all- they are only half untruths as well,

Falsehood is B2 :-\
[roll0] and if need be, and you allow it: [roll1] advantage.

Norandil
2015-02-03, 04:08 AM
"I'm sorry friend, by I ain't knowing any Lucas from out here. Only lady Felicia, and occasionally her father dropping by. Your friend were mistaken for sure." The guard passes the torch to his left hand and rummages through his pockets, eventually taking out a chunk of tobacco. "You want some? Anyways, I was saying. You may try to come back here in the mornin, though lady Felicia rarely invites people over. Prolly the pregnancy, guests must tire her or somethin."

B2 falsehood is nothing to sneeze at. That means you are still a better liar than most people. Get a difficult test by the way!

Farmerbink
2015-02-03, 09:29 AM
Is that so? Well that's too bad, I'd have sworn I found the right place! Can't much say this, Felicia, you said? rings any bells... Ah well, it wasn't much more than a schoolboy's fancy anyhow. Perhaps I'll stop by in the morning and see if she or her handlers will talk with me. In either case, know anyplace a chap could get a good nights sleep out here? Preferably on the cheap, it cost more to get here than I'd like to admit...

As he lets himself begin to be led away, presumably towards an inn, he comments a little louder, ah well, I'll have to try and get back here, as soon as I can. Maybe she'll know where I can find Lucas...

Norandil
2015-02-03, 09:56 AM
"I can show ye around, no prob. Need to patrol anway, might as well come with me," the guard replies while chewing on the tobacco. He leads you through the winding streets, commenting on this and that, content to have anyone to talk to. In the ten minutes it takes you to come to a tavern supposed to offer lodging, you learn all of the local petty gossip, among which is the fact that nobody knows who the father of Felicia's child is; she is due any day now and there's not a single man around to take care of them.

"We-ell, that's be it. End of journey. Take care of yourself, friend!" he waves a torch in a farewell before heading further down the street.

~~~~~

In the meantime, Edwin stops holding his breath and sighs with relief. That was close, but Phillip took care of everything. Setting his mind on the proper tracks again, young man begins to climb; ground floor windowsill first, then a lintel, a convenient wall adornment and the window he's been aiming at in the end. He widens the shutters slightly and gently pushes the window open, soon disappearing into the building.

It is a neat, cozy house furnished in good taste, albeit quite modest. The room Edwin managed to sneak into is a bedroom, but it seems that nobody's slept here in the past few days. There's a plate of cold, untouched broth standing on a small table next to the bed and not much other than that.

Outside the room is a small antechamber with stairs leading down and three sets of doors. One door leaves a tiny slit through which a golden light wiggles free, filling the antechamber with shadows. There's a sound of someone pacing coming from behind this door.

I assumed Edwin will want to press on, seeing Phillip leading the guard away. I hope that wasn't too big of a leap, but if you do not want to enter the building after all, let me know and we'll redo the scene.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-03, 07:47 PM
Edwin draws his pistol and moves slowly closer to the door. He listens next to it, trying to hear anything more about what is going on inside.

Farmerbink
2015-02-03, 09:12 PM
Cursing his poor timing and bad luck, Philip waits just long enough for the guard to turn a corner before setting off at a quick walk back to the manor, trying to avoid being seen, but trying more than that to avoid being stopped until he gets closer to Edwin.

I'm assuming that the round-a-bout route and the necessity to look nonchalant and relaxed has left Edwin entirely on his own for this one. If I get back in time to be useful, give me a poke, OOC, to let me know when to post involvement. One way or another, I'll watch and hope for Edwin's safety until then!

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-04, 07:29 PM
Unable to determine much without entering the room, Edwin slowly pushes the door open, trying to keep his pistol hidden, but ready.

Norandil
2015-02-06, 05:15 AM
"HOLDRIGHTTHEREWHOAREYOUIDIDNTDOEEET!" shouts a man, pointing a pistol at Edwin and breathing heavily. He is young, even younger than Phillip, but his eyes are those of a madman. He shoots his gaze left and right into corners of this modest bedroom now littered with junk, then back at you, accusingly. "You are here to get me! How did you know, how didyou know howdidyouknow! It was all an accident, you see! WHERE ARE YOUR LACKEYS, YOU WON'T GET ME ALIVE!" he continues shouting while walking backwards until leaning across the wall, a bed and a small desk between you and him. He is shaking so much that he has to grab his pistol with both hands just to keep it relatively steady, but he still has it trained at you and ready to fire.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-06, 07:27 AM
"Have you finished your task? Is the girl taken care of?" Edwin asked, using the doorframe for cover. He aimed his pistol at the man. Unlike his opponent, Edwin had a steady hand and was aiming for the other mman's chest. "You should put that away. I don't want to kill you for it."

Norandil
2015-02-06, 03:13 PM
"DONT YOU DARE TALKING ABOUT HER! ARRRGGGH!" the mention of "girl" seems to push him over the edge and into blind fury. Not listening to you anymore, he fires.

2 dice for his skill, two for aim, but +1 Ob for door protection and +1 Ob for his shaky hands, 4d6 vs Ob 4.

[roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-06, 03:38 PM
As the bullet fired against him embeds itself in the door, Edwin returns fire. As the ball flies from his histol, Edwin takes cover again, reloading the pistol. "Are you wanting to die, madman?"

Not sure on how many dice this would be, as I am aiming as well. I have b2 skill. [roll0] die of fate [roll1]

Norandil
2015-02-06, 04:36 PM
Ah, what the hell. I can post from my phone. And that shooting test was difficult for you, tigerus.
Both bullets miss terribly, for good or for bad, one burying itself in the door with a cascade of splinters, causing Edwin to miss; his bullet ricochets and breaks a mirror hanging on a wall.

The man, Lucas, as it appears, roars fiercely and lopes through the room, charging Edwin with his whole might, but before he does so, he throws his pistol at him, catching him off-guard. The young captain recognises the threat and drops his own firearm, reaching for the sword; should he manage to draw it in time, he will become a victor before the clash can even happen.

Okay so as you have probably gathered, I don't want to use those typical fight rules here. Instead of that, I'm gonna ask for a Speed versus Power test. I'll describe accordingly.

Anyway, Edwin's Speed and +1 Advantage for a good position : [roll0] In addition, what Lucas is trying to accomplish is difficult, because even if you don't manage to draw your sword, you will likely beat him in a brawl. Thus his Ob gets increased by 1 (which works as a free success to you)

Lucas' Power is 3, +1 Advantage for his ferocious charge [roll1]
Edwin frees his blade off its sheath, but not fast enough to stop Lucas' advance. He rams at the captain, squeezing the air out of his lungs by throwing him on the ground. But it is not enough, the follow-up blows are too weak to maintain this temporary stun and when Edwin regains his breath and finds out he still has a sword in hand, he drives its pommel into Lucas' temple once and twice, throwing him off. Standing up hesitantly, he takes a step back, putting his enemy at blade's length. Lucas tries to draw a dagger, but his rage has subsided a bit already and he realises he's been defeated.

"What do you want from me?! Who are you?!"

~~~~~

In the meantime, Phillip doubles back to the mansion. The place looks promising - there's not a single guard around, meaning Edwin's got away unnoticed. He finds a comfy, dark alley to wait for his companion, when suddenly he jumps up, startled by a sound of voice behind him.

"Here you are. Been looking for you two. See, wanted to tell you I got me boys on deck already. Everything ready to go, if it's up to me, I can leave this wretched place any minute. Oh, and by the way, I've found this Johannes of yours!" Yes, it is Pete. How he's found you is impressive, but how he's sneaked to Phillip is unsettling in the least. Phillip's not used to being surprised like that.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-06, 11:43 PM
Edwin's side and shoulders stung from the blows, but he had received worse from bundled wood lathes that were used as practice swords when he was a boy. His body was hardened from life at sea, even the most pampered captain was tough as oak or he didn't remain a captain long. Edwin kept his body ready, adopting the sword-fighting stance Stone on a Mountain.....serene, calm, but poised to come crashing down with a rain of powerful strikes.

"First, drop that dagger to the ground. Second, what have you done with the girl?" Edwin kept the sword ready to take the other man's hand off at the wrist should he try anything other than what he was told.

Norandil
2015-02-07, 04:13 AM
The man drops the dagger, but purses his lips and refuses to talk, staring at the wall.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-07, 11:52 AM
"I grow tired of asking this. Speak, or I will silence you forever." Edwin was ready to go through with that threat, if the man did anything to provoke him, but he didn't want to kill the man before he knew what he had done. Edwin glances around the room for any clues as to the man's activities.

Farmerbink
2015-02-07, 04:24 PM
"Here you are. Been looking for you two. See, wanted to tell you I got me boys on deck already. Everything ready to go, if it's up to me, I can leave this wretched place any minute. Oh, and by the way, I've found this Johannes of yours!" Yes, it is Pete. How he's found you is impressive, but how he's sneaked to Phillip is unsettling in the least. Phillip's not used to being surprised like that.

Philip sighs heavily and turns around to face Pete. With an appraising glance and pursed lips, he says, it's really not polite to sneak up on folks like that. In a different set of scenarios, a man could get hurt trying that with the wrong person... He takes several moments to steady his thoughts before responding to the implication. You found Johannes? Well, that doesn't mean an awful lot to me, but I'm certain the captain will be glad to hear it. In a similar vein, we've perhaps found something for you. Lucas is holed up in this house, here. He hooks a thumb at the building now behind him. Apparently, he went and got some "Lady Felicia" all buggered up with a baby. Not sure what's happening now- I'm keeping watch, while the cap investigates.

Was I close enough to hear the gunshots? Are there other properties likewise close enough to have heard them? Anyone here with Pete, or just him?

Norandil
2015-02-08, 09:13 AM
Edwin

"Oh you will, will you?" Spits the man venomously. "Killing me for what, curiosity? In the name of good robbery? These are not reasons worth risking being hanged, and you blabbered enough to tell me you don't know what's going on here." The man stands up, calm, hands far away from his body, showing you that he's not hiding any weapon.

"So if you want to kill me, you better do it quick, because I'm sure somebody's heard those shots and we will have visitors soon. Pity, you can't even make me talk, there's no time if you want to save your hide!" with those last words he spits on the ground right in front of you. He then turns his back on you and walks to the stairs.

It may have not been apparent (I know my descriptions are poor, sorry about that), but his earlier charge threw you two out of the room; you were barely at its threshold, so this amount of force pushed you back into the antechamber.

Phillip

"Hey, it's not polite to stalk around somebody's mansion either, so you tell me which one of us is more guilty. Besides, been in enough trouble to be able to take care of myself, pal. Thanks for concern anyway." Pete pats you on a shoulder in a friendly manner and leans across the wall next to you.

"I knew that bastard was here. In one of those, I mean," he waves at the residences nearby. "But what good does it make? I don't care about Lucas, I care about me money, and that I ain't gonna see. He's not gonna pay, and I'm not mean enough to make him pay. There are limits, you know. I'm from too good a family to do that," he finishes loftily... and then there's a sound of gunshot coming from the building, immediately followed by another. Pete jumps to his feet, looking around gingerly.

"Drats, that ain't good, right? We heard it, someone else could hear it too. I just hope my newest captain didn't get himself killed before my first payday!"

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-08, 01:07 PM
"I know you were sent here to take care of the girl. You are the bastard's father I assume? Or perhaps you are covering for someone more important." Edwin said, ready to stab the man if he took another step. "I came here to collect a debt, and you fired at me first. Who is to say, if you were dead, that you did not invite me in to discuss the debt, then tried killing me. I have no qualms killing you."

Norandil
2015-02-08, 04:14 PM
Lucas only barks another laugh at Edwin, shows him a rude gesture and continues his stroll.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-08, 04:56 PM
"As you wish" Edwin runs the man through with his sword.

Farmerbink
2015-02-08, 09:32 PM
You should be aware that our errand is not always going to be pleasant, easy, or objectively within the moral "right." If you can handle doing what must be done to finish the job, we'll be glad to have ya. Just food for thought...

*gun shots*
Blast it all!

"Drats, that ain't good, right? We heard it, someone else could hear it too. I just hope my newest captain didn't get himself killed before my first payday!"

Philip nods aggressively. It would appear that the time for prudence has passed! Philip hurriedly leaves his post, and opens the gate to the manor. He strides confidently up the steps, hand on sword hilt. Just a few seconds later, he tries the handle, prepared to start pounding of a more opportune entry isn't present.

Norandil
2015-02-09, 10:57 AM
Edwin

Lucas begins gurgling just as his knees go weak and he slowly tumbles to the ground. He looks with utter disbelief at the blade protruding from his chest, then turns his head to see Edwin one last time. "You... bastard..." he mumbles, bloody bubbles dancing on his lips. Then he's gone.

Phillip

The gate's firmly closed and blocked with a chain, easily resisting Phillip's attempt to open it; cold iron bars appear to be laughing at him struggling. Then Pete shoves Phillip aside unceremoniously and reaches to the padlock; half a minute later it drops to the ground along with the chain. Pete opens the gate and waves at Phillip. "After you," he says grimly.

The front door, unsurprisingly, is locked as well, most likely barred from the inside. That leaves you with two options if you want to get inside - use the the window Edwin did, or bust the door down.

Farmerbink
2015-02-09, 12:37 PM
Philip considers the situation only briefly before heading to the window. As an explanation to Pete, he mutters: if it slows us down, it will slow pursuers as well. He climbs in through the cracked window, anxious to see what he will find.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-09, 03:13 PM
Edwin wipes his blade on the man'small clothes before sheathing it. He does a quick search of the body, to find anything he was carrying. Once that was done, he retrieved his pistol and the other that was thrown at him before a quick search through the room the man occupied. He picked up the discarded dagger as well.

Norandil
2015-02-10, 03:19 PM
Edwin finds that Lucas didn't carry much around him. The dagger, pistol, a purse with some coins and a keyring with several keys on it is everything noteworthy, the rest is just some junk or personal items filling his pockets. There's also a named document confirming him to be the captain of Dragoon; the document identifies him to be Lucas Compton. Compton's a noble family in Britain, primarily associated with now extinct title of Marquess of Northampton. Bigger branches of this family can be pretty influential.

Before Edwin can go and search the room, he hears a commotion coming from the opposite chamber and soon he faces Phillip scrambling inside through the window. His ears also catch a faint hiss from below. "You better find him fast, I think I see torches coming our way, and not too far from here! Gonna stay here and watch where they're going!"

Farmerbink
2015-02-10, 04:22 PM
Philip quickly puts his head out the window, and addresses Pete below. See if you can buy us a minute! We won't be long!

He turns back into the room and witnesses the grisly scene. In a hushed but hurried whisper, he addresses his captain. Alright, Edwin, how do we play this? He invited you in, where an argument broke out over some money? A girl? Is there any alcohol around? ****, what happened in here?!

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-10, 07:40 PM
"He shot at me." Edwin said as if that was enough explanation. He pocketed the documents, the keys and the coinpurse. "We should leave. I'd like to do a thorough search, but we won't get the chance at this point." Edwin headed for the window they entered from, looking around quickly to see if anyone was watching. If nobody was, he would climb back down as quickly and quietly as he could manage before waiting for Phillip.

Norandil
2015-02-11, 04:15 AM
Getting out of the mansion, you huddle in shadows, peeking out to the street. You see Pete's gone, and when you get a better angle you see he's walking towards a group of four guards heading your way - they are alert, but not alarmed, especially since everything around seems to be in order. Pete's gesticulating richly, distracting the patrol. If you sneak through the neighbouring properties, it may be your chance to go unnoticed.

Farmerbink
2015-02-11, 12:30 PM
Philip curses under his breath. If that guard sees me over here again, I'm dead meat. Let's go!

Philip scurries through the shadows, in the direction of the tavern previously shown to him. Ugh, I should have gotten a room while I was at the inn, earlier. Cursing himself for his foolish haste, he tries to remain unseen.

apparently, my stealthy is a b3, not b2. Whoops. [roll0]. Ugh.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-11, 12:31 PM
Edwin follows Phillip.

Norandil
2015-02-12, 05:32 AM
The two of you jump through the fence in a point unseen from the street and make your way through the town. The only problem is crossing the street with guards on it, but if you manage that, you can bet they won't find you...

Edwin's Speed acting as Stealthy, 1D advantage for it being pretty much night already [roll0] Edit: OMG :smalleek:
Guards' Observation check [roll1]
...and they don't, owing to your great timing, dark clothes and Pete intercepting them. You arrive at a tavern safely and get yourself a drink before heading to the docks and returning to your ship, where Pete's already waiting for you.

"Glad to see you in one piece," is all he says.

Farmerbink
2015-02-12, 11:00 AM
Glad to see you in one piece,[/B]" is all he says.

Philip nods. That makes three of us. Captain, shall we discuss our next steps in your quarters? Assuming assent, Philip heads that direction.

Once they are alone, he turns to Edwin. In a harsh whisper, he asks, ok. Seriously. What the hell happened in there? Preferably, more specifically than breaking and entering followed by self defense?

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-12, 08:10 PM
Edwin fishes around in his pocket for the coin pouch, and takes a quick look into it. If there are only coins in it he tosses it to Pete. "I hope that this covers what he owed you. It was all he had on him. Were you successful on your mission?" Edwin heads for his cabin as soon as they are on the ship.

Once he and Edwin are alone, he recounts his tale. "I entered, the room was disused recently, but there was old, untouched food there. It made me think someone else had been there, like the woman he had been sent to deal with. I entered the hallway and heard someone pacing in a nearby room. I tried to get a better view and he spotted me. After failing to talk him down and get some answers, he shot at me. I shot back, and then he charged me. The result is what you saw." Edwin begins cleaning his pistol, and hands the second one to Phillip. "He won't be needing this anymore."

Norandil
2015-02-13, 02:43 PM
"That depends on which task you are referring to, guv," Pete says absent-mindedly, consumed by untying the pouch and counting the coins.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-13, 02:53 PM
"Finding Captain Johannes. Or the Jade Dancer."

Norandil
2015-02-13, 03:20 PM
"Oh sure," he replies, "found'em. Not much of a hassle, actually." He grimaces seeing how little money there is in the pouch and sighs, standing up. Turning his back on Edwin, he address his companions. "Aight mates, here's wha we got. Not enough, I kno, but that's be all, so we share fairly, right? Two coins, then pass to the man on your right. And no cheatin', I'm looking at ya!"

Farmerbink
2015-02-13, 03:36 PM
Edwin begins cleaning his pistol, and hands the second one to Phillip. "He won't be needing this anymore."

Philip balks briefly at the deceased's pistol. I- I suppose you're right about that. After turning it about for several seconds to get its grip (and check for identifying features), he places it on the table beside him, careful to face it towards a wall. Well, is this particular chapter closed, then? Pete said he found Johannes, so is that our next goal?

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-13, 09:47 PM
"We will need to be careful, but finding Lillian has always been my priority." Edwin said, removing the papers from his pocket. He unlocked the desk in his cabin and added the papers underneath the official documents he had there. "These might be useful in the future should we need to copy them. It is always useful to have such things. Find out from Pete where he saw Captain Johannes. Find out where he saw the Jade Dancer too....we might as well see about that if we can."

Farmerbink
2015-02-15, 03:15 PM
Philip nods. It will be as you say. He picks up the pistol, and nods his head at his captain. Thank you for being concerned for my safety, even when yours was threatened, sir. It will not be forgotten. He slips the pistol through his belt, until such time as he was able to purchase or make a holster, it would have to do- though it's certainly not comfortable, and steps outside. Pete! You said you found Johannes? Where? Our captain desires to impress the man, so we had better find him!

Norandil
2015-02-15, 04:57 PM
"Gaol he is, guv!" Pete replies cheerfully, before returning to playing dice.

Farmerbink
2015-02-15, 05:12 PM
"Gaol he is, guv!" Pete replies cheerfully, before returning to playing dice.

Philip stops short. Huh. Well that complicates things... and doesn't. Isn't like he's gonna be hard to keep track of, is it? He smiles, ruefully, as he thinks over their options. He knocks on Edwin's door, and lets himself into the cabin. Well, interesting news for ya. Apparently, your sweetheart's pop got himself locked up. It certainly presents an interesting opportunity to make a good impression, depending on exactly how far south of the law we plan on going...

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-15, 05:37 PM
"It is a complication for sure. If we could forge a pardon or, better yet, instructions for him to be released to our custody, it would be good. Think that is beyond your abilities? I have some official documents here, we could use them as a template." Edwin rifles through the papers he just put away, retrieving the official ones.

Farmerbink
2015-02-15, 06:00 PM
Hmmmm... That depends an awful lot on who's looking at them. I could make one that would fool me, for example. Of course, I've no idea what signs of authentication to expect, so I'd have no really basis for comparison. Let me see those documents. Perhaps I can forge an effective mockery based on what they show. I'll definitely need more information, though- not the least of which would be which jail. Hell, he could be held by the Spanish, for all we know. It would be dramatically more difficult to forge a foreign document... No telling where THAT might get us sent... Give me a few moments.

He steps outside Edwin's cabin and down to the crew's decks where Pete's dice game is held. He keeps his peace and watches for several seconds, until Pete wins a moderately large pot. Oi, Pete! Cap'ns got some questions he needs you to answer. Got a minute, or shall I bother you more, later? He smiles knowingly, and guides the man to Edwin's quarters. So. We need some details on our friend's... lodgings. What can you tell me?

*I'm* not completely sure what sorts of things would need to be on such a document, but it stands to reason that someone trained in forgery would. Philip is gonna ask whatever he would need to get answers to, if said answers aren't supplied without deliberate prodding.

Norandil
2015-02-16, 04:40 AM
"Oh, but he ain't in no ordinary gaol, you know. That's not where captains go. The governor has him under lock, sayin' he commited treason or some such. Been there a couple of weeks already, I have no idea what they're going to do to him or when. I can show you where he's been put, but you wanna talk to the fella, you have a lot of trouble ahead of you."

Farmerbink
2015-02-16, 08:52 AM
Philip smirks openly. The easy way has rarely held much appeal for me. After all, you can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs, eh? So what are we up against? You say "governor," so we're talking about the British, yeah? At least we won't have to muddle about with the Frenchmen's tongue.

Norandil
2015-02-16, 09:04 AM
"Well obviously I'm talking British. The guy's being held right here in front of your noses. The main island of Morgan's Refuge, directly next to the governor's residence."

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-16, 10:30 PM
"Perhaps it is time for Edwin Taragon to visit the governor." Edwin said, fingering the papers again. "Maybe the name enough could convince him to give up some information, if not hand him over completely."

Farmerbink
2015-02-18, 11:17 AM
Philip's expression shifts to concern. I... That seems perhaps overly optimistic, if you don't mind me sayin'. At least, let's prepare a contingency, yeah? In case the governor proves about as helpful as most other folks we've met so far, you know.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-18, 09:10 PM
"Then we figure something else out." Edwin said. "First, let's both get a good night's sleep. Then I will call on the governor early in the morning, with my trusty page."

Norandil
2015-02-20, 03:25 PM
Pete barks a short laugh hearing Edwin calling himself Taragon, convinced it's a joke, walking out without a word, amused.

~~~~~

The night passes calmly and you wake up to face the challenges of the next day. Dressing up meticulously, you get back to town and head for the governor's residence. Halted by the guards you wait for them to announce you, then you are being asked to wait a bit longer in a plain office room, sitting in front of a desk with an empty chair behind it.

After you start to get slightly annoyed the door behind you suddenly snaps open and a man marches into the room, walking around the desk and, after asking Edwin's permission, sits in his chair. "Well, what can I say. What do I owe the honour of this visit, my grace? Is there anything I can do for you?"

The man clearly is a soldier; his face is weather-beaten, and fine but plain clothes run over thick, wiry muscles of his arms. Obviously of noble origin as one would expect a colonial governor to be, his expression and step tells you he'd rather have hard, swaying deck under his feet than this soft, solid carpet.

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-20, 08:36 PM
"I have been without pleasant company for some time. I tried calling on the governor of the Emerald Landing, but he was unable to see me." Edwin had polished his pistol and sword to a perfect shine, along with all of his brass buckles and buttons. Gold would have been finer, but he wouldn't need them to impress here. "You are a naval man yourself?" He had let Phillip accompany him, but he had been left out with the guards to find out what he could.

Norandil
2015-02-21, 01:26 PM
"Ah, yes, young Lionheart. You need to excuse his manners, he is walking in the shoes of the old governor, trying to live up to the expectations. Too young for such a position, but who am I to judge crown's decisions?" replies the man.

"To answer your question, yes, my name is Thomas Courtney and I've been plowing these waters for many years. Alas, now I am chained to the desk, but at least I know the people of Morgan's Refuge are being looked after."

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-21, 01:39 PM
"I do not believe he knew who I was or believed it. Unusual for a Prince to be a Captain anywhere but the Channel Fleet, and if their Majesties had their way, I probably would still be there and be an Admiral." Edwin laughed at the implication. Noone was an Admiral at his age, noble or not. "I have heard a rumor that you have a man imprisoned, a Captain Johannes. What are his crimes? I've met the man, and I thought him a good man at the time."

Norandil
2015-02-21, 02:02 PM
"Treason. Collaborating with pirates, I am afraid. One would assume his captains are loyal to the crown, obedient and just. But what they turn out to be is more than merely disappointment. Tell me, if I may be so bold to ask, what is your grace's approach to the ongoing problem of piracy? From time to time there are voices raised that we should adapt, tolerate, learn to use them, cooperate, even. And then I say, would we be any better than them, then?"

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-21, 03:22 PM
"It is unfortunately a very gray area." Edwin said, thoughtfully. "All nations have used privateers in the past. What is a privateer but a sanctioned pirate? To France a British Privateer is a pirate, and to Britain, a French privateer is a pirate. I have received orders in the past to seek out and hire pirates for such activities, and then you are torn between morals and following orders."

Norandil
2015-02-21, 04:25 PM
"One could say, it is not an order worth following to break the natural order of things, nor the man issuing such an order worth serving under," the governor says conversationally. "Of course, there are pirates and then there are pirates. Some are just misled people, and after a suitable punishment possibly redeemable. Others, though..."

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-23, 10:28 PM
"I cannot argue with that." Edwin said. "Which kind of pirates was Johannes consorting with?"

Norandil
2015-02-24, 10:12 AM
"The worst sort, I am afraid to say. In regular contact with the scallywags, running shady errands and happily assisting in their filthy business, pardon my tongue. We also know that at least once he let them into the port, and if he did it once, he did it regularly. That is not something you have second thoughts about." The man says, shuffling some documents lying on the desk. "But let those be my worries; I am more than sure your grace has more pressing matters at hand. And this brings me back to my earlier question - how may I be of service?"

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-24, 10:14 PM
"Unfortunately, the man is the mission, or should I say his daughter is. She is the reason I'm in this corner of the world, and he is the only link I have to her. I'm sure a man of your experience has been young and in love."

Norandil
2015-02-25, 02:46 AM
"Certainly. But I am afraid I don't see the relevance of that. Traitor's traitor, no exceptions, no rights."

tigerusthegreat
2015-02-28, 11:26 PM
"Let me talk to him, then. There's no harm in that." Edwin said.

Norandil
2015-03-01, 03:25 AM
"This I cannot do. But I can do better," Thomas leans over the desk and lowers his voice. "You said you are here for his daughter, isn't that right? Well, I can give you Lillian. How about that?"

tigerusthegreat
2015-03-01, 10:18 AM
"I'm listening." Edwin said. It would be unfortunate to leave her father to his fate, but he had made his bed, and now he must lie in it.

Norandil
2015-03-01, 10:43 AM
The governor stands up and walks across the room, looking out of the window. He remains silent for quite some time, but finally, without turning around, he says, "Lillian's been living here, in this town, but not long before all this affray she's been sent to Emerald Landing, where she's a guest to their governor. She knows not of her father's fate, and it may be just as well. I am only telling you this as a favour, and because I do not have her in my grasp. So if you really care about her, this is your chance to protect her. She won't be a popular persona for long. Now excuse me, but I have a traitor to deal with."

tigerusthegreat
2015-03-01, 10:50 PM
"You have my thanks, sir. It is unfortunate business, dealing with a traitor, and I appreciate your professionalism about it. Soft seas and full winds to you, Governor Courtney." Edwin saluted the older man, and headed for the door. It did not surprise him where Lillian would be. The governor Lionheart had acted very strangely when he had tried to call on him. Perhaps he knew of the relationship between Lillian and himself. It was still a shame about her father. Edwin had nothing bad to say of the man, but if he had consorted with pirates, there was little he could do. He gathered up Phillip and returned to the ship to discuss what was said.

Farmerbink
2015-03-02, 10:09 AM
Philip falls in step with his captain as they leave the governor's quarters. Wonderful, back to that oh-so-pleasant villa. Perhaps we will have better luck this time than last.

I have to ask, about this Lillian. Is she likely to join the crew? You know as well as any that we don't much have room for dead weight aboard the ship. -That is, I don't mean to imply anything or overstep my bounds, just thinking forward, you understand....

tigerusthegreat
2015-03-03, 09:16 PM
"I hope to marry her. A woman onboard a ship is bad luck, but that doesn't mean we can't establish a home or base of operations somewhere. It is a shame about her father, though."