PDA

View Full Version : No Doubt

Rama_Lei
2007-03-30, 10:25 PM
I recently got into them and am impressed. Shame they're on hiatus. My favorite songs are "Don't Speak" for it's power and sad feeling and "Bathwater" for it's catchy and smart lyrics.

Axl_Rose
2007-03-31, 07:41 PM
Well I certainly think Gwen Stefani's latest solo style is god awful.

For a while I really liked No DOubt as well. I liked Don't Speak (Who doesn't) and Underneath it all (But I skipped when that other lady started rapping). And that's about it. Why did I stop liking them?

I heard some songs which used more Ska tendencies those sounded so ridiculous.

But yeah, Don't Speak and Underneath it all. Good stuff. I'll check out Bathwater too, thanks.

Dragonrider
2007-03-31, 08:00 PM
I haven't heard a lot of their stuff. "Don't Speak", "Running", "Sunday Morning", "Just a Girl", and "Oi to the World"... I have to be in a certain mood to listen to them, though.

FdL
2007-03-31, 08:25 PM
I heard some songs which used more Ska tendencies those sounded so ridiculous.

You do know that they're actually supposed to be a very ska-punk influenced band, don't you? At least before stardom.

Axl_Rose
2007-04-01, 01:27 AM
Yes I do know that - though I don't see the importance of that in relation to my original post.

FdL
2007-04-01, 12:23 PM
Yes I do know that - though I don't see the importance of that in relation to my original post.

I understand from what you posted that you got into them through their most popular/commercial songs, which I think they are not really representative of the music the band has made in their career. I mean, in their last albums they have powerballads like "Don't Speak", but that's has not been their style all along. Just that.

sapphail
2007-04-01, 11:54 PM
Their first album was OK, everything after that was bad pop and Gwen Stefani's solo efforts are eye-gougeingly bad pop

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-03, 09:24 PM
Hearing one of their commercial, probably sellout songs from their first couple albums always gives me a warm fuzzy high school nostalgia feeling. Especially since those songs are actually good compared to most of what was on the radio in high school.

Gwen Stefani is terrible as a solo artist, though, even if she was the entire band when they were performing.

The Prince of Cats
2007-04-04, 03:30 AM
Never underestimate the power of nostalgia. Don't Speak and Just a Girl belong to a time in my life when I was just starting to feel good about myself. It is about the same time I got into Bush (and not just because I noticed Rossdale was hot) and UK bands were kind of getting back to sounding good again, almost a return of the days when the Stones and the Who were still big.

I never really found No Doubt that objectionable, even in the later period, but I would admit to drifting away. I mean, you could still hear it was the same band, but it was not the same music...