PDA

View Full Version : quicken magic items

Someonelse
2014-12-31, 12:37 PM
I'm looking for a way to quicken the use of a magic item. This is specifically a use activated item (but I'm also interested in solutions to other types of items if you have any ideas) and I would like to be able to quicken it once per round and then use it again as a standard action. I was just wondering if anyone knows any way to make that happen? The user of the item in question is not a spell caster.
Could I use a metamagic rod?
If the item were made for this purpose what if the item were designed to be used with a metamagic rod? How would that affect that market value? Or should the even be allowed?

I guess I should mention that I'm the DM and the item in question is for the BBEG.

StoneCipher
2014-12-31, 01:35 PM
Belt of Battle is all I can suggest off the top of my head. It's not EXACTLY what you're looking for, but it will allow for you to do 2 standard actions in one round. Now, if it HAS to be quickened, I would look at items that reduce standard actions to swift actions, which I'm sure there is something. But for SPECIFICALLY quickening magic items, I don't know if there is anything that exists.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-31, 02:13 PM
Spell trigger items can be quickened with the Metamagic Spell Trigger feature (Incantatrix, Artificer) or feat (CMage) and the Metamagic Item infusion.
Wands and staffs can also be quickened with the Prophecy's Artifex feat when you're in prophetic favor (MoE).

Command Word items need to have the quicken effect build into the item, increasing the cost accordingly (if it's a spell effect).

Use-activated items depends on what item it is. Most just need to be worn, weapons activate on hit, etc.
You'll need to give more detail if that's what you're looking for, because it depends on the item.

Unless you meant command word instead of use-activated? The mixup happens fairly often.

In general anything that gives extra actions works just as well and is also more flexible, though usually you need to invest more resources into it, too.

Temporal Acceleration (Psion 6) is enough for buffs, summons or non-instantaneous area effects. Time Stop does the same but comes a lot later.
Schism (Telepath 4) manifesting Synchronicity (CPsi, RoD) effectively grants you another standard action that can be used for anything, but costs pp every round to pull off.
Anticipatory Strike (MoE, RoD) lets you take 2 turns back-to-back at the cost of your swift action, but you miss out on a turn after it. More of an initiative winner than true extra actions.
Sense Danger (MoE) lets you manifest a 1st level power as an immediate action in the first round of combat. Again, combine with Synchronicity if you need more flexibility.

Swiftblade (online (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)) gets an extra standard action every turn when hasted, and can duplicate the effect of Temporal Acceleration if you take all 10 levels.

Celerity gets you a standard action for your immediate action, but leaves you dazed afterward.

White Raven Tactics (ToB) also arguably works and can be gained with a single level dip.

Polymorphing into a Cloaker and having the Assume Supernatural Ability or Metamorphic Transfer feat gets you the Quickness ability.
Druids with Aberration Wild Shape can wild shape into a Nilshai (UE) for another standard action/round.

There's also some other monsters that get more actions you can get with shapechanging, but those are probably the most accessible.

Someonelse
2015-01-01, 10:54 AM
Thanks for your help