PDA

View Full Version : My World A World in Hiding

Ruethgar
2014-12-31, 04:06 PM
This world is made within a nested Hole of Hiding, using the Person spells to define what counts as people, with a portal to the material plane. The portal is a circular ring that flies seemingly of its own accord at a speed of 85ft and can plane shift once per week. Upon entering the portal, there is an ancient stone gate covered in twisted bamboo, beyond which lies a small village. The ground is composed almost entirely of rotting plants with some gravel forming road. Bamboo rises on either side in thick, near impenetrable groves. The oxygen rich air is difficult to breathe but bearable. A silvery blue sun seems to swirl more like a whirlwind than flame and follows you lighting about 120ft radius with bright light and a further 120ft with shadowy illumination. If there are multiple people in the world, it tries to stay equidistant from them. The buildings of the town are odd in their composition, they appear to be made of grass, mostly bamboo, woven around small stones to make walls. A sizable church stands in the middle of town. Next to it is a large, fancy library and study that gives +4 Knowledge Planes, Arcana, Nature, and Religion. There are eight small but fancy homes arching out in a semicircle to the right of the church. A sizable dining hall and kitchen stands across from the homes to the left of the library, with a fancy bath house next to it. Up on a small cliff to the left there is also a basic magical laboratory overlooking the village. Just beyond the village is wilderness. There are very few trees compared to the material plane, but it does support an oaken grove of about 150 trees behind and to the left of the village. The bamboo forest continues to the right of the town, gate and portal. To the left are increasingly daunting shear cliffs. Beyond the cliffs and behind the portal is a seemingly endless darkness that you cannot travel more than a few feat into no matter how long you walk. Directly behind the village is a massive field of grass that meats with a lake. There is a stream coming off of the lake that disappears into the bamboo forest as it fades into the darkness, and to the left, behind the oak grove and beside the fields is a marshland that reaches out into the darkness. Behind the lake is a large glacier plateau with trees made of ice and a constant stream coming from the darkness making a waterfall down to the lake. To the right of the glacier, more cliffs ascend into darkness. To the left there are very small mountains or more accurately very rocky hills that extend back for some time before the darkness takes hold and follow the stream to the bamboo forest. There are a myriad of strange designs made from the plants and from the glacier almost as if they were once moving, living things that were frozen in time. The entire place is eerily quiet with no insects or animals, just the wind, the stream and your own breath.

These outlines are simplified for ease of communication but are RAW legal. The world was created by Tiny Elementals with thematically appropriate and useful SLAs for world building. Their Leader is a Living Prestidigitation and is responsible for the Hole of Hiding creation, most of the cliffs, the Feather Token:Trees, and the sun object which is actually not moving on its own but being carried by an air elemental. His draconic Jaunter cohort is responsible for the portal creation, provided the ability to plane shift, and oversees the world in his leader's stead, able to quickly summon him if needed.

Antimagic is a problem here, these are just some homebrew rules for this purpose. Though the Hole of Hiding is nested in a suppressed Hole of Hiding and thus cannot be targeted as a whole, any dispelling effect within the hole can cause some serious damage by sending the spell and everything it hit into non-existence until the original hole is no longer suppressed. In the case of the area forms of dispell this doesn't leave a crater, but rather pinches the world to fill the gap causing major distortions to the terrain, all large or greater unattended objects within 30ft of where the area antimagic effect was take 4d6 damage. Disjunction has a 1% chance per caster level to hit the entire hole sending everything within it to non-existence. Targeted dispells deal 1d4/2 caster levels, greater 1d4/caster level assuming they hit. Antimagic fields simply act as area dispells without a save, consuming a portion of the world and sending it to nothingness. Unless otherwise occupied, the jaunter is attending the object much of the time at it's true entrance somewhere in the darkness giving it a bit more of a fighting chance.

This place can support eight people comfortably with Unseen Servants, Create Food and Water traps and Prestidigitation Traps. Causing destruction to the world is a quick way to summon it's master, but using its facilities is not discouraged. Brining in animals would also be welcomed and the jaunter will plane shift the portal to where you want if you are going through the trouble of gathering a menagerie to form a stable ecosystem. He is especially fond of reptiles, birds, dinosaurs and to a lesser extend amphibians and fish. He doesn't dislike mammals, but may be less inclined to help their cultivation. Similarly, if you are gathering other types of plants he will plane shift you to the general areas you request when he can. If the owner returns, however, all bets are off.

ReturnOfTheKing
2014-12-31, 07:31 PM
Hmm… I like this place, might be worth an adventure or two.

Ruethgar
2014-12-31, 11:21 PM
Of course the idea can be refluffed to be more interesting. Make the portal in the shape of a blue box and rework the interior to be an endless maze of metal rooms and hallways with all manner of artificer crafted goodies inside and the owner gets a 12/life reincarnate SLA for humanoid only.

ReturnOfTheKing
2014-12-31, 11:27 PM
Of course the idea can be refluffed to be more interesting. Make the portal in the shape of a blue box and rework the interior to be an endless maze of metal rooms and hallways with all manner of artificer crafted goodies inside and the owner gets a 12/life reincarnate SLA for humanoid only.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Got that from the avatar, right? Someday, I've got to just drop the TARDIS into a game!

Ruethgar
2015-01-02, 11:10 AM
It was actually my brother's idea when I told him about this. That you in particular responded just makes it seem like it is meant to be. Just need to add a Portal In Time to it and be done, not sure how one might stat The Doctor, he can Mindrape people(Dona Noble), Reincarnate, has massive bonus to Knowledge of everything, high Intelligence, the Create Device(Wondrous) feat and all of the time reducers. Likely an Artificer/Factotum/Ravenloft Scientist or some such.

ReturnOfTheKing
2015-01-02, 01:22 PM
This may be of use to you:
http://www.reddit.com/r/doctorwho/comments/2a81dk/if_you_had_to_create_the_doctor_as_a_dd_character/

Found another thread for making the Doctor once, it might've been on GitP. I'm going on vacation, so I can't find it. Shouldn't be tougher than a well-worded Google search if you're interested. Allons-y!

SirKazum
2015-01-04, 07:16 PM
I like the idea. I'm fond of creative and unexpected takes on things, and an artificial world created by a living spell certainly does sound weird enough for my tastes. I just wish I had any idea how Holes of Hiding work though :P Any reference? And how does the "stacking" thing work?

Ruethgar
2015-01-09, 10:34 PM
A Hole of Hiding is from Stronghold Builder's Guide and is essentially a permanent Rope Trick with the alteration that instead of a limit on creatures there is a limit on people, the D&D definition of which can be derived from Charm Person, Hold Person etc. as a Humanoid. The stacking thing is just a Hole of Hiding inside of Hole of Hiding with the first hole suppressed by an antimagic field. Because the effect has not ended but is only suppressed, the second hole of hiding does not fall out of the first and remains in an inaccessible space that can't be plane shifted to.

However I made an update that doesn't have to worry about such rules and homebrewed antimagic functionality. Make a Rope Trick or Hole of Hiding, become familiar with the interior and then build a portal that leads inside. When the trick or hole effect ends everything falls out, but you can portal in after that and be within and otherwise inaccessible space. Rope Trick and by extension Hole of Hiding don't actually create the spaces they lead to, they just grant access. Because it is not a plane you can't plane shift to it and because it is not on a plane you can't teleport to it. A case could be made that your casting of Rope Trick or the repair of the Hole of Hiding could work, but that is still better than a Genesis plane defense.

SirKazum
2015-01-10, 06:42 AM
Hmmm... if I got this right, you're counting on the fact that the Hole of Hiding has no restriction on space generated, just the number of people that can get inside, so by using non-people to alter the interior you can create an arbitrarily large place inside it. While the end result is definitely very interesting, I'm not quite sure I'd allow that, say, as a DM. I mean, it seems kinda too "stretching the limits of RAW" to me. Maybe I'm not quite seeing the IC (fluff, not crunch) reasons why the extradimensional space should stretch like that... But I have to say, I like your design philosophy :smallsmile:

Ruethgar
2015-01-11, 09:09 AM
A normal Rope Trick can hold 8 Collossal creatures, so even if it doesn't stretch to world encompassing size, it is somewhat reasonable to say it can fit a 90 by 90 area which is still a nice fortress.

Using Collossal+(can't recall where they were presented) you could fit more but 90ft sq is just base game. Plus you only need one that is accessed by a portal, all of the homes inside can be Holes of Hiding(reportedly dangerous which could be a plot hook but not otherwise illegal).

Fluff wise, you are outside of all creation. You are not on a plane of existence so why should normal spacial rules apply?