PDA

View Full Version : Barrier Maiden - Workable Build?

Serafina
2014-12-31, 04:11 PM
The idea of this build is to (ab)use the Wizard Abjuration feature "Arcane Ward" and "Projected Ward".
Basically, it provides you with a ward that absorbs (Wizard level x2) + Int modifier damage points of damage, which gets recharged by (spell level x2) each time you cast an abjuration spell.

Thats a notable amount of temporary hitpoints - better yet, it doesn't technically count as temp-HP so it stacks with anything that provides those.

Instead of going straight Wizard, the build would dip into two other classes:

Two levels of Warlock. This gives her the Armor of Shadows Invocation - at-will Mage Armor which allows her to fully recharge the ward without cost after every combat. Better yet, it gets her the spell Armor of Agathys, which provides temp-hp and every time she get hit the attacking creature takes 5 cold damage (+5 per spell level). Normally this spell ends reasonably quickly (once the temp-HP are depleted but her barrier prevents that.

Three levels of Cleric. This gives her heavy armor for extra survivability and more importantly Aid and Shield of Faith, two Abjuration-spells that protect allies.

Combat would mostly consist of preventing damage on allies via spells and barrier, and countering spellcasters via counterspell and dispel magic. With the standard wizard arsenal when appropriate, of course.

While all that multiclassing cuts heavily into her barriers HP, i think it would be worthwhile. However, thats why i am posting here - to ask whether that build work work well

2E Phoinex
2014-12-31, 05:00 PM
I'm trying very hard to find a rules based reason to say no to this... But I can't. Well done.

Coming from 2nd edition the at will abilities of Warlocks are still a little jarring for me so my DM instinct is to say that the Armor of Shadows Invocation has a different source of magic and isn't compatible with the arcane ward's weave, but I know that sounds like a cheesy excuse.

Seems like a highly effective build to me, and there's really no reason for me to try and smack it down other than the fact that, as one of my players has observed, I "hate fun."

Demonic Spoon
2014-12-31, 05:02 PM
This has been discussed before and yes, it RAW works. You can also just ritual cast Alarm forever (though that takes longer).

Many consider it cheese and wouldn't allow it.

Celcey
2014-12-31, 05:03 PM
It depends. Do any of the spells you want have an roll or saving throws? If so, it's a bad idea, because of MADness. If all you want is a few cleric spells, I would see if your would let you get those spells- maybe you could go on a quest for them, or get a magic item, or have them be a gift from your god.

Serafina
2014-12-31, 05:55 PM
To be honest, i doubt that recharging the ward after combat will be the most potent ability - without getting access to Armor of Agathys i'd have skipped the Warlock-dip.

At most, its a free 35-point heal at the end of each combat, and thats at level 20. Given that Armor of Shadows' Mage Armor is only cast as a first-level spell, thus only healing 4 HP.

Other than that Warlock 2 gives two Cantrips, three spells known and two first-level spell slots and one other Invocation.
Compared to two extra Wizard levels: one extra Ability Score Improvement, no need for Charisma 13, 9th-level spells (otherwise the build only goes up to 8th) plus 4 more HP for the shield. And of course getting Projected Ward and the other abilities online sooner.

Getting Wisdom 13 for the Cleric multiclass doesn't hurt much. And the Cleric-spells i am interested in don't need Wisdom so thats fine.
Nor does the multiclass - it progresses spell slots, and the build depends more on low-level spells than casting high-level ones. And getting Heavy Armour is really nice.

Oh, and i actually do have a mechanical question.
Could Hellish Rebuke be triggered off damage to the Ward?
The Ward states "whenever you take damage, the Ward takes the damage instead" so the answer seems to be yes, right?
It would be nice to know if that also applies to Projected Ward, but since both take up a Reaction anyway that is pretty redundant.

bloodshed343
2014-12-31, 06:16 PM
Honestly I would skip the cleric dip and go warlock 3 for pact of the tome. You get 9th level spells plus awesome ritual casting, loads of cantrips, and EB + agonizing to make you an effective damage dealer. You shouldn't need heavy armor, as you won't be too squishy, especially since you'll have at-will mage armor.

Feldarove
2014-12-31, 06:20 PM
I think armor of agathys might require that you are actually are hit...so if the ward stops you from being hit, you don't do damage to them.

Xetheral
2014-12-31, 06:34 PM
Paladin also gets heavy armor (if you start in it) and Shield of Faith with only two levels. Additionally, Lay on Hands and Protection fighting style will closely compliment the build. Aid would require 5 levels, but also provide extra attack, and only puts you one level shy of the amazing Aura of Protection.

Paladin 2
Wizard 2
Warlock 2
Wizard 3-6
Paladin 3-6
Warlock 3-4
Wizard 7-10

Puts you one AGI/Feat behind the entire game, but only one.

Serafina
2014-12-31, 07:10 PM
I think armor of agathys might require that you are actually are hit...so if the ward stops you from being hit, you don't do damage to them.Well yes, it does require you to be hit: "if a creature hits you with a melee attack while you have these hit points, the creature takes 5 cold damage".
But Arcane Ward works like this: "Whenever you take damage, the ward takes the damage instead".

So basically, you attack me. You hit (which triggers Armor of Agathys), deal damage (which can trigger Hellish Rebuke) and said damage gets absorbed by my Arcane Ward. If the damage depletes the Ward, any excess damage is dealt to my hitpoints normally - and thus first to temporary hitpoints i would have from Armor of Agathys.

Sadly Protection fighting style is near-pointless, since the Reaction is already allocated to either protected an ally via Projected Ward, casting Shield or casting Hellish Rebuke.

Compared to a Cleric, a Paladin only provides half as much casting progression. Lay on Hands also heals as much as Channel Divinity: Preserve Life (level x5) so thats no advantage. The built is not intended to make any melee attacks so Extra Attack is pointless (its already MAD enough as it is, so adding decent Strength is hard).

I am aware of how amazing Tome Warlocks are :smallbiggrin:
But Wizards already have Ritual Casting and the build has access to most of the good Cantrips already. So it doesn't add as much as it usually does - and only delays Wizard casting by another level, ultimately preventing 8th-level spells.

The main issue with multiclass levels is that it delays Projected Ward and thus to ability to protect allies. As it is, the build comes online at Level 9 (Wizard 6/Warlock 2/Cleric 1)

Rock Gnome
Strength 13, Dexterity 8, Constitution 14, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 13, Charisma 13

1: Wizard 1: Wisdom Saves, Intelligence Saves, Two skills, Two Cantrips, Spellcasting, 2 1st-level Spells, Arcane Recovery
2: Wizard 2: Arcane Ward, 1 1st-level Spell
3: Warlock 1: Light Armor, Simple Weapons, Awakened Mind, Pact Magic, 2 Cantrips, 2 1st-level Spells
4: Warlock 2: Armor of Shadows, Misty Visions, 1 1st-level Spell
5: Cleric 1: Medium Armor, Shields, Disciple of Life, Heavy Armor, Spellcasting, 2 Cantrips, 2 1st-level Spells
6: Wizard 3: 2 2nd-level Spells, 1 1st-level Spell
7: Wizard 4: Ability Score Improvement (+2 Int), 1 2nd-level Spell, 1 Cantrip
8: Wizard 5: 2 3rd-level Spells
9: Wizard 6: Projected Ward, 1 3rd-level Spell

Also, happy new year to all of you :smallsmile:

Symphony
2014-12-31, 08:02 PM
Inspiring Leader feat is also a very good source of Temp HP for stacking with Arcane Ward. It has the major advantage of affecting up to 6 targets (including yourself), and can be used once per person per short rest.

A Warlock/Wizard with Inspiring Leader and maybe Healer could be pretty good at keeping the party alive.

Naanomi
2015-01-01, 12:46 PM
One should note that at higher levels Wizards get 'infinite cast' spells to so the infinite hp battery is available single class

odigity
2015-01-01, 02:21 PM
One should note that at higher levels Wizards get 'infinite cast' spells to so the infinite hp battery is available single class

Forgot about that -- thanks for the reminder.

Serafina
2015-01-01, 04:50 PM
One should note that at higher levels Wizards get 'infinite cast' spells to so the infinite hp battery is available single classRight, Spell Mastery. Picking Shield for that would just be awesome.
Kicks in really late though, so i'd keep the multiclassing myself.

silveralen
2015-01-01, 05:45 PM
Hmm, now correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a lvl 7 build that's only absorbing 9 points of damage with the shield? I'm kinda confused as to what makes that useful, does the wizard shield scale in a way I'm not aware of?

Personally I'd just be focusing on wizard/warlock.