PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Roxxy's Feat Consolidation and Improvement

Roxxy
2014-12-31, 11:11 PM
I originally wrote the following a few months ago as part of a house rule set, but I'd like to work on it as a stand alone system:

The following feat chains scale with level, meaning that if you have the first feat in the chain, you get the subsequent ones at no cost when you meet the prerequisites.

*Two Weapon Fighting/Improved Two Weapon Fighting/Greater Two Weapon Fighting
*Vital Strike/Improved Vital Strike/Greater Vital Strike
*Improved Dirty Trick/Greater Dirty Trick
*Improved Disarm/ Greater Disarm
*Improved Feint/Greater Feint
*Improved Reposition/Greater Reposition
*Improved Steal/Greater Steal
*Improved Trip/Greater Trip
*Improved Bull Rush/Greater Bull Rush
*Improved Drag/Greater Drag
*Improved Overrun/Greater Overrun
*Improved Sunder/Greater Sunder
*Iron Will/Improved Iron Will
*Great Fortitude/Improved Great Fortitude
*Lighting Reflexes/Improved Lightning Reflexes
*Weapon Focus/Greater Weapon Focus (the only prereq of Greater Weapon Focus is BAB 6)
*Weapon Specialization/Greater Weapon Specialization

All those +2/+2 to skill feats improve to +4/+4 at 10th level. These feats and Skill Focus both allow rerolling one failed skill check related to the feat once per day at 10th level.

If something had Mounted Combat as a prerequisite, it no longer does. (Mounted Combat isn't a bad feat, it just doesn't really need to be a prerequisite for mounted builds.)

Slashing Grace does not have Weapon Focus as a prerequisite.

Vital Strike can be used in conjunction with Spring Attack or Shot on the Run. This does not make Vital Strike an attack action, and does not allow any other non-attack action to be used with Spring Attack or Shot on the Run.

The bonus from Point Blank Shot increases to +2 at 6 BAB, +3 at 11 BAB, and +4 at 16 BAB. If something had Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite, it no longer does.

Power Attack and Deadly Aim are no longer feats, it is something people of Str 13 (PA) or Dex 13 (DA) and BAB 1 can do. If something had it as a prerequisite, it no longer does so long as the character has the requisite ability score and BAB.

Improved Shield bash is not a feat. If you are proficient with a shield, you do not lose your shield bonus when bashing. If something had it as a prerequisite, it no longer does.

Combat Expertise is no longer a feat, it is the way fighting defensively works. If something had it as a prerequisite, it no longer does.

That's it for the obvious fixes. What is a poor option (or, conversely, overpowered) that I need to address? Any non-combat feats aside from the skill ones that I should be looking into?

Another issue is that I do allow Path of War, but I'm not sure how those mechanics will mix with this feat system.

BWR
2015-01-01, 03:13 AM
Looks like you and I have had much the same solution to the situation. And there are things we've done differently even if I can see the reasoning behind your choice.

Absol197
2015-01-04, 12:27 AM
One thing I did with combat maneuvers that you might like:

IMPROVED COMBAT MANEUVER (Combat)
Your training in combat allows you to perform combat maneuvers much more effectively.
Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Unarmed Strike, or Power Attack, Dex 13, Int 13, or Str 13; see text
Benefit: Choose a number of combat techniques equal to 1/2 your base attack bonus (minimum 1). You gain a +2 bonus on Combat Maneuver checks and Combat Maneuver Defense with those maneuvers, and you can perform the chosen maneuvers as an attack action and without provoking an attack of opportunity. You can select the same maneuver up to twice, and the bonus to CMB and CMD regarding that maneuver stacks. If your base attack bonus later increases, you may choose an additional combat maneuver to gain this bonus with.
You must have Intelligence 13 and the Combat Expertise feat to choose the following maneuvers: Dirty Trick, Disarm, Feint, Reposition, Steal, Trip
You must have Strength 13 and the Power Attack feat to choose the following maneuvers: Bull Rush, Drag, Overrun, Sunder
You must have Dexterity 13 and the Improved Unarmed Strike feat to choose the grapple maneuver.
Normal: You provoke an attack of opportunity when attempting a combat maneuver, and combat maneuvers require a standard action to perform.
Special: You can select this feat more than once. Each time, you choose additional combat maneuvers to gain the bonus, but you can never choose the same maneuver more than twice.

GREATER COMBAT MANEUVER (Combat)
You are a master at your chosen maneuvers.
Prerequisites: Improved Combat Maneuver, Base Attack +6
Benefit: Choose a number of combat techniques equal to 1/4 your base attack bonus that you have already selected at least once with Improved Combat Maneuver. You gain an additional +2 bonus to CMB and CMD when using or defending against the chosen maneuvers, and you gain an additional ability when using the chosen maneuvers.
Bull Rush: Enemies you bull rush provoke attacks of opportunity from your allies (but not from you).
Dirty Trick: When you perform a dirty trick, the condition lasts 1d4 rounds, plus 1 round for every 5 by which your attack exceeds the target’s CMD. In addition, the effect requires a standard action to end.
Disarm: Whenever you disarm an opponent, the weapon lands 15 feet away in a random direction. If you beat the target’s CMD by 5 or more, you choose the direction.
Drag: Enemies you drag provoke attacks of opportunity from your allies (but not from you).
Feint: Enemies you feint lose their Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against you for 1 round, not just against your next attack.
Grapple: You only require a move action to maintain your grapple, allowing you to make two grapple checks each round to move, harm, and pin your opponent), but you are not require to make two checks. You only need to make one check to maintain your grapple.
Overrun: If an enemy you overrun is knocked prone, it provokes an attack of opportunity.
Reposition: When you reposition a foe, he provokes attacks of opportunity (except from you).
Steal: If you successfully steal from an opponent in combat, it is not noticed that the item was stolen until the target next looks for it.
Sunder: If you successfully destroy an object with sunder, any excess damage is transferred to the wielder.
Trip: When you trip an opponent, that opponent provokes an attack of opportunity.

DrMartin
2015-01-04, 05:25 AM
I use similar rules - I have also nixed weapon finesse as a feat, allowing everyone to use dex with finessable weapons, and allow to add the Dex bonus to damage as well (basically everybody gets "deadly agility" from path of war as a bonus feat). The only caveat is that you cannot use power attack while fighting with finesse.

Almarck
2015-01-04, 11:17 AM
Hey roxxie if you're removing power attack and deadly aim. Are you going to do the same to piranhas strike? Power attacks dex based cousin.?

Vhaidara
2015-01-04, 12:46 PM
This is similar to what I use, but I have an addition
Weapon Finesse + Deadly Agility
Then Slashing Grace extends WF and DA to all one handed weapons and is called Combat Grace.

I also remove Arcane Strike from Deadly Dealer, but without it you need bladed cards, which can be IDed like darts (for security purposes).