PDA

View Full Version : Item of Fast Healing 1 cost?

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-01, 12:25 AM
Unless I missed something, an item of constant lesser vigor should cost 8000gp, right?

Zanos
2015-01-01, 12:30 AM
Use custom magic item rules at your own peril. You are supposed to compare items to existing items when available, and the most readily available item that I could find that gives Fast Healing is the Ring of Rapid Healing, an Epic magic item that costs 300k.

That said, that epic ring is incredibly overpriced.

Forrestfire
2015-01-01, 12:38 AM
A wand of Lesser Vigor is 750gp and thus having a bunch of them is affordable by the time someone has the gold to be looking into more permanent solutions. If I were DMing I'd just call it 8k and run with it. Fast Healing 1 in-combat isn't meaningful, and Fast Healing 1 out of combat makes for a more fun game overall (less bookkeeping for the same result, allowing for easier encounter-building, bypassing of bogging down the game with attrition-based difficulty and letting you focus on the story and fun encounters).

(That said, there are many DMs who would disagree with me, and many groups who consider attrition to be a sacred part of the D&D experience. To each their own.)

RoboEmperor
2015-01-01, 12:41 AM
Isn't ring of regeneration what he's looking for? Though it's 1hp per 5min. But in exchange you get to regenerate cut off limbs. It's 90k though...

JDL
2015-01-01, 02:40 AM
There's plenty of examples where the rules for item creation break down, especially for constant low level spell effects. Protection from Evil, Shield, etc. all have artificially low values for their equivalent in a magical item.

For this particular item, if a player asked me for it I'd look at the existing item that duplicates that effect. A Pearly White Ioun Stone costs 20,000 gp and regenerates 1 hp per hour. The Ring of Regeneration costs 90,000 gp and regenerates 1 hp per level per hour, plus limb regeneration. Thus I'd estimate the cost of a ring of permanent lesser vigor would be closer to the ioun price, divided by half for being a slotted item, then multiplied by the increase in time (1 hour = 600 rounds). Thus it would be approximately worth 6,000,000 gp. With that price tag I'd recommend the player look at alternatives instead, such as the epic ring mentioned.

Necroticplague
2015-01-01, 03:12 AM
There's also Silithar Healing Blood, a graft that grants you Fast Healing, though its really expensive (somewhere in the 120k GP range).

Know(Nothing)
2015-01-01, 03:14 AM
Even better, just be Necropolitan and stuff some Black Sand in your drawers.

grarrrg
2015-01-01, 03:29 AM
Isn't ring of regeneration what he's looking for? Though it's 1hp per 5min. But in exchange you get to regenerate cut off limbs. It's 90k though...

Ha-Ha! Advantage Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-regeneration)!
They just bumped the ring to a straight up "Fast Heal 1", still has the Regenerate-limbs clause, and makes you immune to bleed damage.
Still has the (overpriced) 90,000 price tag though.

zergling.exe
2015-01-01, 03:40 AM
There's also Silithar Healing Blood, a graft that grants you Fast Healing, though its really expensive (somewhere in the 120k GP range).

It's actually 182k for fast healing 2 that you can't lose ever, short of reincarnation perhaps. Much better than Rings or Regeneration and the like.

Renen
2015-01-01, 03:43 AM
WotC sucks at pricing. Id say stick to some low and reasonable amount. Its main purpose will be to just top you up anyways. Like those video games where you start each battle at full hp, vs those where you retain damage. Sure, it makes it abit harder... but nostly just annoying.

Inevitability
2015-01-01, 05:04 AM
Even better, just be Necropolitan and stuff some Black Sand in your drawers.

Or a certain dwarf we know. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1086201)

Jowgen
2015-01-01, 08:34 AM
Millennial Chainmail, a Relic item from the MIC, gives fast healing 3 for 8150 gp provided the following conditions are met:
you have deity-compatible alignment
are in bright illumination
either expend a 4th level spell slot/day or have 7 HD and the true believer feat.

Other than that, its a +1 Mithral chainmail, which costs 5150; meaning the relic part is 3000 gp exactly. This relic part give you something halfway between constant Vigor (3rd level spell) and Greater Vigor (5th level spell), which would make it roughly a 4th level spell, which is exactly what you're supposed to sacrifice.

So really, this armor gives you the ability to convert one of your spells into a vigor spell cast on yourself 1/day with a duration of 24 hours, provided you meet it's alignment and situational requirements.

My personal adaptation: take the 3000 gp, add a token cost akin to a 1/day lesser vigor command item to make up for the spell-slot, add the token cost of a continual flame spell to get rid of the illumination requirement, and then increase the total by 30% to get rid of alignment requirement. If you charge 2600 gp for the two tokens, then the fast healing 1 items comes to a neat 8000 gp, as suggested earlier.

atemu1234
2015-01-01, 09:41 PM
I'd allow the item, but ask your DM.

Jeff the Green
2015-01-01, 09:44 PM
Or a certain dwarf we know. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1086201)

How does stuffing a dwarf down your pants heal you?

Rubik
2015-01-01, 09:52 PM
Thus it would be approximately worth 6,000,000 gp. With that price tag I'd recommend the player look at alternatives instead, such as the epic ring mentioned.For that price, you could buy 400,000 charges on a wand of CL1 Lesser Vigor, which heals 4,400,000 hp. Or you could just spend a pittance on Otyugh Hole and a Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle for the Troll Blooded feat.

There's no way that ring is worth 6M.

Sith_Happens
2015-01-01, 09:55 PM
How does stuffing a dwarf down your pants heal you?

By having the Poison Healing feat, of course. With the amount of poison the Trouserfang Dwarf takes in he's probably venomous too.

ericgrau
2015-01-01, 10:07 PM
It's the kind of item that's not much better than a couple wands of CLW / lessor vigor in the hands of PCs, and the dawning of the new age of prosperity in the hands of a city. It can heal 14,400 hp per day, replacing 13,000-26,000 gp in temple cleric services each and every day.

Simple solution is to give it a limited duration that's plenty for PCs but not for a city. Then price according to the amount of total hp healed since the combat effect is minor. I'd use an eternal wand of lessor vigor or CLW as the baseline. I think that's around 40 gp per round per day for fast healing 1. 200 hp is plenty for a low to mid level party so 8,000 gp for 20 minutes of fast healing per day. There could be ones with a longer duration for higher level parties. If anything that might be a little underpowered since eternal wands are a little underpowered. You could instead give it a little bit longer duration and make it per week instead of per day so it's even more adventurer friendly and less city friendly at a lower price.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-02, 12:26 AM
It's the kind of item that's not much better than a couple wands of CLW / lessor vigor in the hands of PCs, and the dawning of the new age of prosperity in the hands of a city. It can heal 14,400 hp per day, replacing 13,000-26,000 gp in temple cleric services each and every day.

Simple solution is to give it a limited duration that's plenty for PCs but not for a city. Then price according to the amount of total hp healed since the combat effect is minor. I'd use an eternal wand of lessor vigor or CLW as the baseline. I think that's around 40 gp per round per day for fast healing 1. 200 hp is plenty for a low to mid level party so 8,000 gp for 20 minutes of fast healing per day. There could be ones with a longer duration for higher level parties. If anything that might be a little underpowered since eternal wands are a little underpowered. You could instead give it a little bit longer duration and make it per week instead of per day so it's even more adventurer friendly and less city friendly at a lower price.

I think this is very sensible.

Ssalarn
2015-01-02, 09:21 AM
Doesn't Pathfinder have a relatively affordable pair of boots from Inner Sea Gods that give fast healing 1 as long as you're in contact with the ground? Back-porting those could be an option.

Fouredged Sword
2015-01-02, 09:34 AM
Not a RAW solution, but I had a DM who wanted to allow an item of continuous vigor but was afraid of the in combat healing (not a major problem, but he was the DM). We talked him into allowing us to make a use activated item of vigor, meaning the healing wasn't constant, but we started each battle with full HP anyway. The party druid carried it around and tapped everyone at the the end of each combat. Better yet, while it was expensive, it only took ONE for the whole party. We all split the cost and it was very reasonable to craft.

TypoNinja
2015-01-02, 04:05 PM
For that price, you could buy 400,000 charges on a wand of CL1 Lesser Vigor, which heals 4,400,000 hp. Or you could just spend a pittance on Otyugh Hole and a Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle for the Troll Blooded feat.

There's no way that ring is worth 6M.

That's because hes comparing a Fast Healing item to a Regeneration Item, which is a far more awesome ability. Awesome enough that its generally not available to PC's.

Knaight
2015-01-02, 05:27 PM

That's assuming a level of efficiency which probably is never going to happen. Even if there are centralized hospitals where the ring is passed around routinely, it's not getting to that level of efficiency, and there's a bunch of infrastructure beyond it that is still necessary. That's not to say that it isn't far more useful in the hands of a city than the PCs, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a new age of prosperity. It's more like the utility of a Decanter of Endless Water in a desert city, running full blast all the time.

Rubik
2015-01-02, 07:31 PM
That's because hes comparing a Fast Healing item to a Regeneration Item, which is a far more awesome ability. Awesome enough that its generally not available to PC's.There's really not much difference between the two, except the fast healing is so damned much faster. The only thing the regeneration does is grow back body parts, and how often does that happen, exactly? Not enough to make up for the ridiculous price increase, especially when a scroll for the (likely only once in a given campaign) occurrence when it does happen is ridiculously cheap.

grarrrg
2015-01-02, 11:17 PM
Doesn't Pathfinder have a relatively affordable pair of boots from Inner Sea Gods that give fast healing 1 as long as you're in contact with the ground? Back-porting those could be an option.

Those Boots (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Boots%20of%20t he%20Earth) are beyond ridiculously cheap.
They cost 5,000gp, and give Fast Healing, and a bonus vs. certain maneuvers (Trip, Bull Rush, etc...).
The "massive downside"? You have to spend a Move Action to 'start' the effects, and they stop if you move.
"Oh noes! Teh Horrorz! I haz to stand still for, like, three whole minutes to heal up to max HP!"

Yeah...you could add a "0" to the price and they would STILL be better than a Ring of Regeneration, or a proper Ioun Stone.

There's really not much difference between the two, except the fast healing is so damned much faster. The only thing the regeneration does is grow back body parts
From a "middle of combat" perspective you are correct, but Regeneration makes you treat ALL Lethal damage as Nonlethal damage, and Nonlethal damage can never kill you (at least in 3.5).

olelia
2015-01-03, 12:05 AM
Those Boots (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Boots%20of%20t he%20Earth) are beyond ridiculously cheap.
They cost 5,000gp, and give Fast Healing, and a bonus vs. certain maneuvers (Trip, Bull Rush, etc...).
The "massive downside"? You have to spend a Move Action to 'start' the effects, and they stop if you move.
"Oh noes! Teh Horrorz! I haz to stand still for, like, three whole minutes to heal up to max HP!"

Yeah...you could add a "0" to the price and they would STILL be better than a Ring of Regeneration, or a proper Ioun Stone.

From a "middle of combat" perspective you are correct, but Regeneration makes you treat ALL Lethal damage as Nonlethal damage, and Nonlethal damage can never kill you (at least in 3.5).

Unfortunately the ring of regeneration doesn't give you regeneration...just a really crappy healing capability and same with the ioun stone.

Pinkie Pyro
2015-01-03, 12:21 AM
if you're looking for out of combat healing, 1000 GP for infinite cure minor wounds works for anyone. 900 for command word, but I'm not entirely sure what the difference is.

Troacctid
2015-01-03, 12:31 AM
if you're looking for out of combat healing, 1000 GP for infinite cure minor wounds works for anyone. 900 for command word, but I'm not entirely sure what the difference is.

With a command word, you need to be able to speak, so you can't activate it in an area of magical silence, and it can't be used by animals and the like. You also need to know the command word, where a use-activated item might be like "Press button, gain healing."

grarrrg
2015-01-03, 01:29 AM
Unfortunately the ring of regeneration doesn't give you regeneration...just a really crappy healing capability and same with the ioun stone.

And I said that it did where exactly? :smallconfused:

The Boots are easily 'broken' for their price (and a Pathfinder item).
The Ring is stupid expensive, but the only real "official" Fast Healing 1 item.
Ioun Stones are cheap, but have cruddy healing.

ericgrau
2015-01-03, 04:24 AM
That's assuming a level of efficiency which probably is never going to happen. Even if there are centralized hospitals where the ring is passed around routinely, it's not getting to that level of efficiency, and there's a bunch of infrastructure beyond it that is still necessary. That's not to say that it isn't far more useful in the hands of a city than the PCs, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a new age of prosperity. It's more like the utility of a Decanter of Endless Water in a desert city, running full blast all the time.

The only organization it requires is a line outside the temple. A decanter of endless water isn't any better than a small stream. Most "abusive" applications of it fall apart once you figure out how slow it is on anything large scale.

Kristinn
2015-01-03, 05:25 AM
I completely disagree with the people saying a reasonably inexpensive item of continuous Lesser Vigor (Fast Healing 1) breaks immersion due to the effect it should have on in-game health care. It's just ridiculous to expect this of a DnD world. Then why aren't there just a bunch of resetable traps of Create Food and Water in the cities instead of farms? Why don't the cities go full Tippy with teleportation circles and golems?

It's a general rule of thumb that only PCs use magic to its full potential, if not that any BBEG Wizard would teamwipe any party as soon as the future conflict of the two is apparent in his divinations.

Back to the issue at hand, having a fully healed party for every encounter is not game-breaking at all. 8000 gold seems very fair, just give it to them and don't look back. Anything more than 20-30k would never be worth it, and 100k+ is just ludicrous for such a weak effect compared to what powers you can get, and are expected to get for your wealth by level.

Knaight
2015-01-03, 05:27 AM
The only organization it requires is a line outside the temple. A decanter of endless water isn't any better than a small stream. Most "abusive" applications of it fall apart once you figure out how slow it is on anything large scale.

A line outside the temple can only even be formed assuming fairly good transportation, and severely injured people frequently have trouble moving. That causes issues.

As for the decanter, it's slow and not particularly better than a small stream. That still gives it a notable application in a desert, and it is the sort of thing that scales up really easily.

TypoNinja
2015-01-03, 04:09 PM

I did.

The healing rate on the stone is slow yes, but since it grants regeneration, you get the benefits of everything non-lethal, which will equate to much faster healing since non-lethal heals faster than lethal.

It also doesn't specify what damage type overcomes your regeneration, so unless somebody is smart enough to take the ring off you, you are fairly death proof. Suddenly its price seems not so bad.

olelia
2015-01-03, 05:12 PM

The Boots are easily 'broken' for their price (and a Pathfinder item).
The Ring is stupid expensive, but the only real "official" Fast Healing 1 item.
Ioun Stones are cheap, but have cruddy healing.

Seeing as the only mention of "regeneration items" had been of the two previously stated, my apologies for thinking you were referencing them.