PDA

View Full Version : Merging that Starter Set with The Hord of the Dragon Queen module

ZiggZagg
2015-01-01, 05:02 AM
So, looking to start playing 5th edition in the coming weeks. Played/DM 3.5 since its release, so I am familiar with the concept, but it will be my first official exposure to the new system, as far as running a session. So to start and get the players acquainted, we are going to do the Starter Set first, which, as I understand, goes up to about 5th level.

Now, my question is, has anyone tried to run characters from the starter set into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen campaign arc? My intention is to run my first 5th Edition campaign entirely from prebuilt material, that way I get a firm understanding of how the game runs and then I can work out from there. So, is it possible to merge the two?

FadeAssassin
2015-01-01, 06:42 AM
The only Major problem I can see from it would be the HotDQ starts the characters at level 1, but it's mostly pretty simple to run the adventures with more diffictult enemies

OR

You can only run the adventure "Chapters" the one that starts at level five. (the Module uses the episodic version of level ups)

Frenth Alunril
2015-01-01, 11:27 AM
I see no reason why you couldn't roll some level 5's in to greenest, mooks galore, a bit of setting, etc. of just bump up the tables for random encounters. Right now my guys are boned, all out of spells, paladin is unconscious, and they haven't even made it to the keep, it's a real fun nightmare.

Mandragola
2015-01-01, 01:18 PM
I've run the starter set twice for different groups and run/played the first first three chapters of HOTDQ. Some thoughts:

- I prefer the starter set, so far. It feels less linear, there are people to talk to and it's basically really good for a starter set. It works with the pre-gen characters or with ones your players make. I ran it the 2nd time with players making their own characters, but picking elements of the backgrounds from the pre-gen ones (like having a dwarf who was related to the dwarf you work for) so they had the adventure hooks from the backgrounds.

- HOTDQ is really hard. I ran chapter one with another person taking over chapters 2 and 3. Both DMs had to add in tons of extra healing to keep the party running. My party did make it into the keep, but they were dragging two unconscious characters behind them. I think the paladin spent a portion of nearly every fight lying on the ground. We sort of made it through chapter 2, then in chapter 3 we met two BBEGs in a room together with a couple of other monsters, got a bit unlucky (they kept passing saves) and we were all killed.

- The chapter-based nature of HOTDQ means you can skip into it whenever you like, and the downright dangerousness of it means actually you could just start from the beginning. The starter set has quite a lot of "optional" content aside from the main quest and if your party doesn't do much of that stuff (which neither of mine really did) they will probably come out mid-way through level 4 I think. You could skip a chapter or two and kick things off with the party investigating the cave in HOTQ chaper 3, which would be suitable for a 4th level party I think.

ZiggZagg
2015-01-01, 02:55 PM
I have heard tale told of the deadly nature of the Tyranny of Dragons campaign arc, but I prefer my pc's to feel as though they are in mortal peril. It sounds like it will work well for what I have in mind. Thank you, all, for your input. It is greatly appreciated.