PDA

View Full Version : Crossing sci fi and fantasy

Rarelyfly
2015-01-01, 06:16 AM
So, I wanted to put a sci-fi npc (from the future) into my fantasy setting. I just wanted to see if any experienced dms out there have tried this in the past, and what kind of reprocussions it may have. If anyone knows anything useful, post away. If not, post anyway, most of the best ideas these forums have given me were little quips by someone who stumbled onto the post by accident.

AstralFire
2015-01-01, 08:23 AM
This is so broad, you may want to put this is the general roleplaying section rather than the 5E section.

As for repercussions, that really depends on the type of setting you're running, you know?

The more 'rules' for magic that your fantasy setting has, the easier and smoother the transition for a sci-fi character. At the same time, any technology which they bring into the setting is more likely to be eventually reverse-engineered and eventually turn the setting into a more sci-fantasy thing like Star Wars. This risk increases the more technology and the longer he or she sticks around.

If you rely on a lot of "it's magic!" to explain things that don't make apparent sense, it's going to look more like a pulpy mash-up of cool things that doesn't make any sense, like the 80s. There will be basically no repercussions on the game world, but it might be harder for your players to swallow depending on how invested they were in doing more traditional fantasy.

More specific things are hard to say without knowing what setting in particular you're running and who you're introducing to it.

JAL_1138
2015-01-01, 09:56 AM
Spelljammer, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, City of the Gods are good resources

Beleriphon
2015-01-01, 12:35 PM
So, I wanted to put a sci-fi npc (from the future) into my fantasy setting. I just wanted to see if any experienced dms out there have tried this in the past, and what kind of reprocussions it may have. If anyone knows anything useful, post away. If not, post anyway, most of the best ideas these forums have given me were little quips by someone who stumbled onto the post by accident.

I'd say you'd have limited to know impact. At worst you'd end up with a setting like He-Man where the main team is dude is composed of a barbarian with a magic sword that rides a tiger, a dude in power armour with a laser pistol and a girl that has vibroaxe/staff thingy; and the main bad guy is an incompetent lich and his henchthings who ride in weirdo stupid mechano vehicles (seriously, is that track thing supposed to be sensible in some way?)

Thomar_of_Uointer
2015-01-01, 12:45 PM
I recommend that you design all of your sci-fi items as magic items. Use the rarity categories to determine when PCs should get their hands on them. This will at least maintain game balance, although it may not precisely fit your plans for technology's place in the setting.

It's also interesting to note that the wizard's spell preparation mechanics and effects are the best fit for a technologist/scientist, although you'll likely want to write your own class for that kind of thing.

This is so broad, you may want to put this is the general roleplaying section rather than the 5E section.

As for repercussions, that really depends on the type of setting you're running, you know?

Agreed. How you're going to use these ideas is extremely important in figuring out how to incorporate it.

Nagalipton
2015-01-02, 05:38 PM
I recommend that you design all of your sci-fi items as magic items. Use the rarity categories to determine when PCs should get their hands on them. This will at least maintain game balance, although it may not precisely fit your plans for technology's place in the setting.

This right here.

There was actually an episode of "The Transformers" called "A Decepticon in King Arthor's Court" that showed this off well. Merlin needed help fighting a dragon, and kept mentioning ingredients like "Dragon's Bane", and it was eventually revealed he was whipping up an early version of gunpowder. Well explained magic is indistinguishable from science after all.

Beleriphon
2015-01-02, 06:02 PM
This right here.

There was actually an episode of "The Transformers" called "A Decepticon in King Arthor's Court" that showed this off well. Merlin needed help fighting a dragon, and kept mentioning ingredients like "Dragon's Bane", and it was eventually revealed he was whipping up an early version of gunpowder. Well explained magic is indistinguishable from science after all.

MAn, I totally remember that one! Starscream was hilarious in that one, and really pissy about something or other.