PDA

View Full Version : Stand Still. Stay Silent

Miklus
2015-01-01, 09:19 AM
I don't see a thread for this comic, and I think it deserves one.

http://www.sssscomic.com

A short synopsis: It starts in Scandinavia at present day where a mysterious illness is spreading with alarming haste. I don't want to spoil it, but things get scary, then outright ugly.

The comic is very realistic IMO, but unlike some zombie-apocalype comics, it does not focus too much on drama or inter-group conflict but rather on how society would adapt and survive in face of this new threat.

Oh, and cats. Lots of cats.

wobner
2015-01-04, 02:59 PM
i debated whether to post this, but for the sake of discussion, decided to.

i really wanted to like this, and maybe someone can convince me to give it more of a try(this is actually my second attempt). That said, i've just gone through the 60+ page prologue, and part of the next chapter and i'm really disappointed with little inclination to read further.

Let me start with the good. Its an interesting idea, the artwork has a unique, appealing style.

but,
you learn virtually nothing about what is going on in those first pages, save that a mysterious virus is spreading and a few dooms dayers are hunkering down. the goofy nature of many of the conversations kills most of the suspense that might otherwise be building(the two crackpots on the t.v. come to mind) it really feels at odds with the story(not saying you can't have humor and an apocolypse, but this goofiness just doesn't do it for me)

you are introduced to what felt like a couple score of characters, and then told that the date advanced 90 years. in other words, everyone you were just introduced to is almost certainly dead or so old as to be irrelevant to the story, and more than likely nothing they've done will be relevant to the story unless its just to note that someone is the grand child of one of those characters. regardless, nothing they did in those pages really feels like it could possibly matter later(like finding a secret lab or something) so tthe whole thing felt like a giant waste of time that was better handled in the one page synopsis.

atleast with a comic like direclict, also incredibly light on information, you are following the same character, and the tone of the conversations, when there is any, better fits(for me) the tone of the setting(i waffle with derelict). and maybe i'm wrong, maybe these characters do come back in the later story some how, but to be slammed with so many and then have them *seemingly* abandoned is just very off putting to me as a reader.

Like i said, i wanted to like it, and i am trying to critique it respectfully, so i apologize if anything sounds too harsh. Perhaps it would be helpful to hear what others like about it, as much as is possible without spoilers. As it stands it is definitely not a comic for me.

Otomodachi
2015-01-04, 03:12 PM
i debated whether to post this, but for the sake of discussion, decided to.

i really wanted to like this, and maybe someone can convince me to give it more of a try(this is actually my second attempt). That said, i've just gone through the 60+ page prologue, and part of the next chapter and i'm really disappointed with little inclination to read further.

Let me start with the good. Its an interesting idea, the artwork has a unique, appealing style.

but,
you learn virtually nothing about what is going on in those first pages, save that a mysterious virus is spreading and a few dooms dayers are hunkering down. the goofy nature of many of the conversations kills most of the suspense that might otherwise be building(the two crackpots on the t.v. come to mind) it really feels at odds with the story(not saying you can't have humor and an apocolypse, but this goofiness just doesn't do it for me)

you are introduced to what felt like a couple score of characters, and then told that the date advanced 90 years. in other words, everyone you were just introduced to is almost certainly dead or so old as to be irrelevant to the story, and more than likely nothing they've done will be relevant to the story unless its just to note that someone is the grand child of one of those characters. regardless, nothing they did in those pages really feels like it could possibly matter later(like finding a secret lab or something) so tthe whole thing felt like a giant waste of time that was better handled in the one page synopsis.

atleast with a comic like direclict, also incredibly light on information, you are following the same character, and the tone of the conversations, when there is any, better fits(for me) the tone of the setting(i waffle with derelict). and maybe i'm wrong, maybe these characters do come back in the later story some how, but to be slammed with so many and then have them *seemingly* abandoned is just very off putting to me as a reader.

Like i said, i wanted to like it, and i am trying to critique it respectfully, so i apologize if anything sounds too harsh. Perhaps it would be helpful to hear what others like about it, as much as is possible without spoilers. As it stands it is definitely not a comic for me.

It is a little deliberately dense, yeah. I quite liked it. I really feel that if you push a little further you'll enjoy your self, a lot of the information you're looking for is forthcoming and the comic DID build trust with me that my questions will be answered. I think the art is gorgeous, too.

The characters you meet in the beginning DO matter. :)

AdmiralCheez
2015-01-04, 03:38 PM
I'm enjoying it, but I can agree that the prologue is a bit lengthy and mostly irrelevant (at least, it appears that way so far). It was good, and it had a lot of nice character moments about dealing with the impending collapse of the world, but 68 pages is a lot of comic space to spend on characters that never enter the story again. I didn't even realize that the main characters are in fact descendants of the prologue characters until it was brought up in an author's note at the bottom of a page.

That aside, I think it really excels at worldbuilding. I can totally believe that this could be a post-apocalyptic Scandinavia in the process of recovery. Albeit, there's some light hints at magic, but whatever, I'll go with it. Things like how they've managed to secure the last cities, bring technology back, which countries are in what condition, language barriers, mythology, cats, all well thought out.

It's definitely an interesting story, but it is long. Thankfully, it somehow updates five days a week, so the pacing doesn't feel as bad when you read it live. Although, now that I think about it, the story is just now getting going and it's been over 200 pages, so take that into consideration.

Lizard Lord
2015-01-05, 02:03 AM
Eh. I always figure that Web Comic prologues can be skipped and this one is really not much of an exception. Pretty much everything you need to know can be picked up on in the first real chapter.

I will admit, however, that I also read the prologue and only really managed to enjoy the story once I got past it.

Miklus
2015-01-05, 12:24 PM
I also thought it was strange that the comic just timeskipped 90 years. I suppose all the characters you meet at first is just there to explain the situation and we follow them specifically because they are the forefathers of your little adventure party. You can see some family photos on the wall at one point. Also, I didn't know it was an apocalypse-style comic at first, so I was just trying to figure out what was going on. And then suddenly almost everybody was dead...

Meanwhile, the story is just getting started! I wonder if there is a deeper plot than just hunting books? I hope so.

I like the art a lot, I don't know how they can make five pages a week! That is just crazy.

BTW, Both the bridge and the Bornholm ferry are quite accurate. I hope they get to some recognizable parts of Copenhagen.

sherlock
2015-01-06, 04:37 PM
Yes it is slow. And I think the story is/will be more about discovery of characters rather than "adventurous".
And the prologue was maybe too long (but absolutely enjoyable).

The fans of quick-paced/action-packed/Marvel-style comics will do better to stay away.

Those who like an excellent comic, with interesting and well-rounded characters, intriguing and slow-paced plot and amazing art are (IMHO) strongly suggested to have a try!

Also ... the author is a 23 YO girl who does all, writing and art, at an amazing rate of 5 updates per week. I think many webcomics authors might take her as an example of being a professional.

Lost Demiurge
2015-01-20, 10:28 AM
I'm loving this. The art is beautiful, the monsters are creepy and intriguing, and the characters are likeable and three-dimensional. My mind's already buzzing with possibilities for games integrating the rash plague and the results...

Normally I don't get into slow-paced stuff like this, but for quality like this and an update schedule this constant I'll make an exception. Five stars!

Kornaki
2015-01-20, 08:07 PM
I'm on page 153 right now. The prologue does read as though she started out with the idea of writing the apocalypse as it happens, and then decided it would be more interesting to skip forward. The characters are introduced in such a charming fashion that I don't really mind seeing them for a couple of pages and then they're gone (not just the square info tags, but the general tone of the comic).

Overall pacing and quality of the comic I think is very high. I'm sure once I hit the update wall I'll feel like it's a bit slower of course :smalltongue:

At the bottom of page 155, you can see two bodies under the sheets to the house in the left. Creepy, and at this point we don't know anything about the Silent Zone, so potentially dangerous?

Miklus
2015-01-22, 11:19 AM
Yes it is slow. And I think the story is/will be more about discovery of characters rather than "adventurous"....

It's becoming more and more clear that this story is straight up horror. I expect Emil to run screaming and floppy-wristed only to fall and twist his ankle. Then Sigrun will rescue him and they kiss.

CWater
2015-02-19, 02:00 PM
Oh, I've grown to quite like this story after following it for a few months. I agree with you that the prologue is too long, I almost stopped reading halfway through it, but fortunately decided to wade through.

I'm not sure how believable I think the setting is, but I greatly enjoy the interaction of the main characters, the comic has a nice atmosphere (yeah, despite the horror elements) and the artwork is awesome. Also, cats!:smallsmile:

Kornaki
2015-02-19, 10:18 PM
It's becoming more and more clear that this story is straight up horror. I expect Emil to run screaming and floppy-wristed only to fall and twist his ankle. Then Sigrun will rescue him and they kiss.

Or not.....

Bulldog Psion
2015-02-21, 09:46 AM
Interesting, I'll have to check this out.

CWater
2015-03-18, 04:25 PM
Heheh, who doesn't appreciate some good old blackmailing. XD Starting to quite like Trond.

Kornaki
2015-03-22, 08:11 PM
This took a surprising turn for the surprising.

CWater
2015-03-23, 04:27 AM
So the long waited 'Braidy' finally makes an appearance. :J

Emil's reaction doesn't really surprise me, but why is Lalli growling? Or would hissing be more appropriate? Though cats do growl too..

sherlock
2015-03-24, 04:48 PM
The quality of story and drawings, combined with the amazing pace of 5 full colour pages per week (always perfectly on time!) continues to amaze me!
One of my favourite webcomics now.
And next time the author plans to organize the printing and selling of her work on paper I think I'll buy it. Real quality!

CWater
2015-04-09, 02:38 AM
This comic is quickly becoming my favourite webcomic, oh those expressions:smallbiggrin: Especially Sigrun.:smallwink: Poor Reynir, I expect it will take some time to get fully accepted to this group of weirdos.

And I now fully expect him to eventually end up as troll bait at some point, probably by his own suggestion or something :smalltongue:

Leviting
2015-05-07, 08:45 PM
Emil is great. He almost knows what he is doing. The best kind of knowledge of what one is doing.

Killer Angel
2015-05-11, 03:26 PM
Great. Another webcomic i'll have to follow... :smalltongue:
(at least, the first impression is good. Let's see if I'll like the huge time-skip)

CWater
2015-06-20, 05:45 AM
:smallfrown: The last few pages... so sad.

corncobman
2015-06-22, 05:20 AM
It really saddens me that there isn't much discussion about this here. Then again, I haven't posted in here in months, if not over a year...

Anyway I mostly spend time in the Disqus comments below the comic, but I feel the need to talk on what a great comic this is.

The update schedule is, shall we say, breakneck, the landscape artwork and detail is stunning and the characters are dynamic and the overarching story is intriguing. It's also funny, scary and mysterious in equal parts.

It's great.

CWater
2015-06-23, 03:18 AM
It really saddens me that there isn't much discussion about this here. Then again, I haven't posted in here in months, if not over a year...

Anyway I mostly spend time in the Disqus comments below the comic, but I feel the need to talk on what a great comic this is.

The update schedule is, shall we say, breakneck, the landscape artwork and detail is stunning and the characters are dynamic and the overarching story is intriguing. It's also funny, scary and mysterious in equal parts.

It's great.

I agree, this comic deserves more love.:smallsmile:

The art already started pretty good, but it's developed to be one of the most beautiful webcomics I know of, I might even rank it as the first. From the top of my head, only Drowtales at its peak can compare, and its art quality has unfortunately degraded in the past few years.

The packing is perhaps a bit odd sometimes, but I don't have much to complain. Few a story has so likeable crew of characters. ^^

And the pace at which the creator makes the pages, is, indeed, unbelievable.:smalleek:

Spojaz
2015-06-23, 09:23 AM
I believe many, if not most, of us here read and enjoy SSSS, while staying silent (ha ha) about it. The story format (realistic exploration of an unfamiliar world) does not produce much discussion, as our normal "what's going to happen next?" or "I hope this character comes back" or "I bet he's actually that other guy in disguise" don't really have answers we can predict yet.

There isn't much to discuss about SSSS beyond "I love this beautiful comic", and that has been said here already. We just enjoy the ride.

AdmiralCheez
2015-06-23, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I wish I had something to talk about other than, "This is pretty good." There's nothing to really complain about, nothing to speculate on, it's just a good read.

corncobman
2015-06-26, 02:52 AM
The more recent chapter has left a few things that can be speculated, such as the beast dog - is it truly dead or has it still retained a small portion of its spirit, then there are things about the dream world such as the nature of the 'it' that is looking for Lalli's family, then there's also the extent of Reynir's powers.

CWater
2015-06-26, 03:19 AM
Great, and SAD. T_T :smallfrown:

(Occasionally anyway.)

sherlock
2015-06-26, 04:15 PM
The more recent chapter has left a few things that can be speculated, such as the beast dog - is it truly dead or has it still retained a small portion of its spirit, then there are things about the dream world such as the nature of the 'it' that is looking for Lalli's family, then there's also the extent of Reynir's powers.

Agreed. The "dog" seemed to regain its mind when in the sun. The voices in the radio asking for help. It looks like the souls of human and beasts are still there, trapped within the beast/troll.

A wonderful webcomic. Great story. Great art. Amazing/unbelievable rate of production (never seen anything like that at this level of art, I think).

Mono Vertigo
2015-06-27, 04:13 PM
Only learnt about this comic two days ago, and binged it.
Definitely a slow start, but I'm pretty happy that I stuck until the pacing changed. Can't wait to see what happens next!
That last part with the dog (and the kittens, I guess) was really depressing, and that Emil, of all people, tried to empathize and help it was heartbreaking. :smallfrown:

super dark33
2015-06-27, 04:29 PM
Ah, there is a thread here!

This comic and its higher echalons of fandom are great!

I predict Emil and Reynir bonding over caring for the Heart Kitten.

snowblizz
2015-06-27, 04:52 PM
Ah, there is a thread here!

Had a similar moment 10 minutes ago.:smallbiggrin:

Two words. Cats and Scandinavians. Can't go wrong there.

The fact that I've actually used the viking Viking ship myself, as in literally been on that exact ship (well without the viking bitz) many times is just icing on the cake.

Oh and the cats. Just muttering Grade C cat under my breath cracks me up.

corncobman
2015-07-06, 03:28 AM
Now that the cat couldn't be saved

I say it's time to speculate on how useful the 'gramophones' turn out to be. I predict that they will be just educational kids TV shows so not so much...

super dark33
2015-07-06, 04:08 AM

I say it's time to speculate on how useful the 'gramophones' turn out to be. I predict that they will be just education kids TV shows so not so much...

Not much is still somthing, who knows what Education lies in the educational films!

Lizard Lord
2015-07-06, 12:15 PM

I say it's time to speculate on how useful the 'gramophones' turn out to be. I predict that they will be just education kids TV shows so not so much...

I predict the DVDs will be useless as they have no way of playing them.

corncobman
2015-07-07, 01:24 AM
The crew might not have any equipment but maybe, just maybe there's a machine inside one of the government facilities that has the capability to play DVDs. Then Barney the Dinosaur will play and melt all their brains.

corncobman
2015-08-05, 03:24 AM
Welp updates resume after a 3 week or so break.

It seems Emil's fabulousness is catching. Also Lalli's preparing for something big or he's hungry...

CWater
2015-08-05, 03:05 PM
Welp updates resume after a 3 week or so break.

Yay! :D (Though the artist certainly deserved her rest.)

It seems Emil's fabulousness is catching. Also Lalli's preparing for something big or he's hungry...

Seems like he's taking out it's... brain? o_O ...I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

And winter has arrived!

CWater
2015-08-06, 01:50 PM
Ok, just the skeleton. Lalli is yet to adapt a zombie-like diet.

I think it's cute how Tuuri and Reynir have exactly the same expression!

corncobman
2015-08-07, 08:08 PM
Don't forget the kitty. All 3 have sort of the same blank stare.

Spojaz
2015-08-20, 02:42 PM
So, on the current page (http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=375) we see a map of Copenhagen, with a line through parts of it. Which end of the line are they at? The statue filled park a few blocks from the university, or the industrial wasteland on the other end? Ooh, perhaps this is an escape route. 5.5 kilometers is not very far at all by cat-tank, and there could be a boat waiting at the other end.

Miklus
2015-08-20, 03:37 PM
So, on the current page (http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=375) we see a map of Copenhagen, with a line through parts of it. Which end of the line are they at? The statue filled park a few blocks from the university, or the industrial wasteland on the other end? Ooh, perhaps this is an escape route. 5.5 kilometers is not very far at all by cat-tank, and there could be a boat waiting at the other end.

I think they are in the industial area. There are some round silos there that could look like the ones in the previous page. They could be on Kasematvej.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@55.678792,12.630713,18z,0t

Maybe we will get a tour of wonderful Copenhagen? :) I wonder why they would go to H. C. Ørstedsparken, though...

CWater
2015-08-21, 05:39 AM
Oh Mikkel, you are my favourite character by now XD

Miklus
2015-08-21, 10:33 AM
Are we here now?

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@55.673752,12.588998,-50.8h,5p,1z

If so, Sigrun might indicate a problem with the "Kippelsbro" bridge. Maybe it is in the UP position? It has been known to get stuck like that.

Spojaz
2015-08-21, 11:11 AM
Are we here now?

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@55.673752,12.588998,-50.8h,5p,1z

If so, Sigrun might indicate a problem with the "Kippelsbro" bridge. Maybe it is in the UP position? It has been known to get stuck like that.

Good find! It looks like Sundberg used that very streetview to compose this page. The map seems so say the other bridges are out too. Perhaps the team will have to walk all the way to the university library, and not be able to use the relatively troll-free and defensible park after all.

corncobman
2015-09-07, 02:54 AM
Flashback time.

More Lalli-centric chapter is making me happy. More Lalli is always a good thing...

Emperordaniel
2015-09-08, 11:30 PM
Just discovered this webcomic a week ago.

It's a pretty good read. :smallsmile:

Emperordaniel
2015-09-30, 08:52 PM
Lalli is bleeding and in a potentially troll-infested nest of a building.

This can't be good. :smalleek:

corncobman
2015-10-02, 05:46 AM
So a couple of firsts for the last few pages or so

We see a magic summoning for the first time

Also

Lalli smiling for the first time

and yay! 400 pages!

Onyavar
2015-10-03, 04:19 AM
First of all: It's really great to find a thread about this comic here - the style of art and storytelling is SO different from OotS that they're almost a different genre.

I'm not surprised that some people here found the long prologue unnessesary, but I liked it greatly. For example that cats are found to be helpful against the illness, or for establishing parentage, and for lending the story a real sense of realness. Had Minna started her tale with the goofy team sponsors in Reykyavik and going forward, readers would have said "whu, there is no realistic way for THAT story premise to be realistic"

I predict the DVDs will be useless as they have no way of playing them.

Your prediction was topped - Mikkel dumped the DVDs because he knows Emils education transcripts and also "knows" that DVDs aren't gramophones and thus can't hold any valuable information. The incompetentness of the team is rageprovokingly staggering :smallsmile:

On the comment that the story is going straight into the horror genre?

My answer is "A Redtails Dream". Read that first comic of Minna, I'm saying that her second one is on a much darker note, but probably will end good. Despite the world they walk in, not one of the main cast is going to die. Amidst all the horror pictures, there are just as many beautiful landscape renditions. And let's not forget the cats.

Lizard Lord
2015-10-04, 11:23 AM
It occurs to me that Mikkel should be running his decisions on what is brought back through Tuuri, but he isn't. Wasn't the whole point of bringing a skald on the team to determine the worth of the books and what not? Why is Mikkel making that decision on his own?

Emperordaniel
2015-10-04, 05:25 PM
We do see Tuuri helping him with the books shortly after Braidy Reynir's arrival, but Mikkel probably thinks he doesn't need Tuuri's help for everything (such as when he identified the book on golfing as "useless").

Miklus
2015-10-08, 05:55 PM
It seems that Lalli has decided to make camp in the royal residence of Amalienborg...? Nice choise.

Emperordaniel
2015-10-10, 01:19 AM
And in today's comic, we see why it is always important to know what it means when a cat, or kitten, suddenly floofs up, extends its claws, and starts hissing.

corncobman
2015-10-27, 02:42 AM
Another end of chapter break and some more info pages. Next chapter cover coming on Wednesday.

So quick chapter recap: in Lalli's childhood a vague report by him led to the death and injury of some of the people in his village. Also at some point his grandmother made a (probably fatal) mistake.

We've learnt that even as a kitten a cat can detect the presence of a troll from reasonably far away through walls even while asleep.

Also Finnish mages have a Luonto which is a part of their soul but also an external force which may enhance the mages power and their inherent strength determines that of their mage but it can be trained to become stronger. It can leave temporarily leaving the mage weakened or permanently eventually leading to death.

This begs the questions do all Finns have a Luonto, or is it only the mages, and do mages from other countries have Luontos too?

Lizard Lord
2015-10-27, 02:06 PM
All I know is that the Luonto makes Finnish mages perfect for being adapted into an RPG. :smallbiggrin:

Spojaz
2015-10-27, 02:34 PM
"The Luonto may temporarily leave their human due to an traumatic event, injury, or traveling too great a distance too fast"

Is that a real part of Finnish mythology or did this comic just expand it's magic system to explain shell-shock and jet-lag?

Bobbybobby99
2015-11-01, 05:22 PM
I'm only on page 52, but this webcomic is awe inspiringly good.

CWater
2015-11-04, 05:50 PM
"The Luonto may temporarily leave their human due to an traumatic event, injury, or traveling too great a distance too fast"

Is that a real part of Finnish mythology or did this comic just expand it's magic system to explain shell-shock and jet-lag?

I'm Finnish and I've... got absolutely no idea. Possibly?

corncobman
2015-11-06, 03:08 AM
New page mid-break pagey page.

Does Reynir have mage-o-vision too or is it something else?

corncobman
2015-11-12, 02:41 AM
Updates resume (well actually they resumed on Tuesday, but whatever).

Mikkel is revealed to *shock* not be a doctor!

Emperordaniel
2015-11-12, 01:45 PM
"Dammit Jim Sigrun, I'm a medic, not a doctor!" :smalltongue:

Emperordaniel
2015-11-18, 01:09 AM
Of course the troll has to go for the non-Immune person first... :smallsigh:

corncobman
2015-11-23, 02:27 AM
Kitty radar activate.

You sure got them, Mikkel. You sure did.

Emperordaniel
2015-11-24, 12:01 AM
...I just realized - this troll was once human (as all trolls and giants were), but it is clearly too small to have been an ordinary-sized adult.

We may be looking at what's left of a child infected by the Rash.

corncobman
2015-11-25, 09:43 PM
And the award for most useful team member goes to...the ghost

Tom Tearcamel
2015-11-26, 03:11 AM
With regards to it having once been a child, when hurt and afraid the troll chooses to hide under a bed.

CWater
2016-03-11, 06:20 PM
Oh no, Is it a giant? I don't think the crew is high level enough yet!:smalleek:

Emperordaniel
2016-03-18, 08:18 AM
Oh no, Is it a giant? I don't think the crew is high level enough yet!:smalleek:

Hence, Sigrun giving an order which basically amounts to "fly, you fools!". Hopefully, this won't turn out the same way for her as it did for Gandalf. :smallfrown:

Thing is, this isn't even the first Giant the crew has run into on this trip (or even this evening) - remember, Giants can form either from rampant growth of a single Troll, or from the combination of multiple Trolls into a single being. Trolls (which are all human-derived) never get significantly bigger than what they once were, so the brain-troll-thing Tuuri crashed into, which was around twice the size of the cattank? Was technically a Giant. With an entire colony of other Giants waiting in the wings. :smalleek:

Emperordaniel
2016-03-28, 06:53 PM
Speaking of (flaming) brain-troll-things... (http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=500) :smalleek:

Also, this page is #500 for Stand Still, Stay Silent, which I suppose is cause for some celebration. With fruit juice, even. :smalltongue:

CWater
2016-03-30, 05:18 AM
Speaking of (flaming) brain-troll-things... (http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=500) :smalleek:

Also, this page is #500 for Stand Still, Stay Silent, which I suppose is cause for some celebration. With fruit juice, even. :smalltongue:

The best kind!:smallbiggrin:

So, can we assume they got away now?

Emperordaniel
2016-03-30, 09:15 AM
The best kind!:smallbiggrin:

So, can we assume they got away now?

From this Giant? Perhaps, since it doesn't seem very agile out of the water. However, they are still in downtown Copenhagen at nightfall without a conscious scout to find them a safe camping spot, even if they were able to meet up again with Tuuri and Reynir... :smalleek:

halfeye
2016-04-02, 08:39 AM
Hence, Sigrun giving an order which basically amounts to "fly, you fools!". Hopefully, this won't turn out the same way for her as it did for Gandalf. :smallfrown:

Thing is, this isn't even the first Giant the crew has run into on this trip (or even this evening) - remember, Giants can form either from rampant growth of a single Troll, or from the combination of multiple Trolls into a single being. Trolls (which are all human-derived) never get significantly bigger than what they once were, so the brain-troll-thing Tuuri crashed into, which was around twice the size of the cattank? Was technically a Giant. With an entire colony of other Giants waiting in the wings. :smalleek:

New strip.

So that worked out a-okay.

I think they got off too lightly, I'm feeling somewhat bemused, if they can't be threatened, what's the point?

Lizard Lord
2016-04-03, 04:18 AM
I am glad Sigurn gets these chances to prove that she is very good at her craft, unlike Lalli who very well could be good at his job but refuses to recognize his flaws, or Emil who until this job started had no field training in his craft. Though I suppose Mikkel qualifies for being a jack of all trades since he was basically hired to do every job that they couldn't afford to otherwise cover.

As for Tuuri, I honestly have no idea how good she is at her crafts. I don't remember any major mechanical malfunctions occurring to show off her mechanics skills, Mikkel is the only one I remember deciding the value of the books given despite Tuuri being the crew skald (and she isn't able to out into the field to decide which books to bring back due to her lack of immunity), and her driving skills basically amount to her being the one eyed lady in the land of the blind (as in she is the only one that knows how to drive even a little bit.)

CWater
2016-11-09, 02:47 PM
Aw... Those are so adorable! :D

sherlock
2018-09-27, 01:53 PM
Some necro-threading to announce that today SSSS has concluded its first adventure.
Luckily (IMHO) the author has not fed up with it and the second one will begin soon.
I quote her words:

Okay, that should be it, all the important info. So... end of the first adventure, huh? The first page of SSSS was posted the 1st of November 2013, meaning it's taken just a couple months short of 5 years to get here. The page count here online isn't quite at 1000 since every double- or multi-page update I've done only counts as one, but the physical page of this ending spread is actually pages 1025-1026.

In retrospect it feels like it's been almost no time to get here, when in the beginning it almost felt like getting this far in the story would take a lifetime. Now it feels like... no big deal at all almost. Maybe it's because my mind is already on the next part of the story that I'm not going "WAAAH I can't believe we made it here".

By the way, SSSS could have ended here. From the beginning I always had more than one story arc in mind for the comic, which is why I've lightly foreshadowed things to come and left parts of the characters unexplored, but I also had to be realistic about the fact that just the first arc would be the longest running project I've ever worked on, and I could have very well arrived here completely burnt out on the story and characters.

If that had been the case... well, SSSS would have ended here, with a few more pages where the characters maybe exchange impactful words with each other so signify an actual end rather than the "to be continued" sort of vibe that this page is meant to evoke. But I knew well over a year ago that I was not about to burn out on the story, and the next adventure was definitely going to happen.

So here we are, about to tread right on with a new beginning, with the same cast but with a new mission, new place to go, new dangers to face. I'm so excited for the next story arc and I'm so grateful for all of you who read the comic, and for the fact that I'm able to do this for a living.

I'm still amazed that a 28YO girl has kept for 5 years the amazing rate of about 4 updates/week doing all, writing and drawings, with an always excellent quality! A real professional!
My thanks to Minna Sundberg for her wonderful work.

If you have not done it yet, I honestly suggest to have a try at it on http://www.sssscomic.com/index.php

Sinewmire
2018-10-17, 04:18 AM
I read this avidly and I'm baffled at how it doesn't get more praise. I suppose it's the prologue - like Concerning Hobbits in Lord of the Rings it could probably be skipped, as much as I do like how it builds tension though, and the timeskip feels like a real kick in the guts.

I don't think I've ever known a piece of fiction to be so filled with wonder, happiness, silly jokes and cute art whilst also being filled with monstrous ugliness, sadness, and downright disturbing horror moments.

Tuuri's last actions really stay with me. Minna's art choices, suggesting rather than outright stating are incredibly powerful, and I find myself looking back at her painting of the deep water - is there something more suggestive in the swirls of darkness?

I am extremely excited for Adventure Two.

Chromascope3D
2018-10-20, 09:39 AM
I couldn't really get into it. The art is incredible, like, easily in the top ten of comic art for me, and I really love the world she's built.

But, the story was really lacking something to pull me back for each new update, so I'd often forget about it. Unlike Unsounded, or Book 2 Erfworld, which has/had me checking for each new update religiously, for SSSS I'd just remember that I hadn't read it in a while and open it up to a dozen new pages. But idk, it seemed to me that the characters didn't have any personal stakes in the mission they were out to accomplish, so it didn't give me any personal stakes in finishing it.

DeTess
2018-10-21, 03:28 PM
I couldn't really get into it. The art is incredible, like, easily in the top ten of comic art for me, and I really love the world she's built.

But, the story was really lacking something to pull me back for each new update, so I'd often forget about it. Unlike Unsounded, or Book 2 Erfworld, which has/had me checking for each new update religiously, for SSSS I'd just remember that I hadn't read it in a while and open it up to a dozen new pages. But idk, it seemed to me that the characters didn't have any personal stakes in the mission they were out to accomplish, so it didn't give me any personal stakes in finishing it.

Where they still in the big city when you stopped? Some personals takers got added to the whole job (IMO) shortly before they left that place.

Chromascope3D
2018-10-21, 03:42 PM
Where they still in the big city when you stopped? Some personals takers got added to the whole job (IMO) shortly before they left that place.

I don't remember exactly where it was, but I think I lost interest shortly after...
short-hair girl died
...since before then I was under the impression that we were still in an elaborate prologue and that the actual grand adventure had yet to reveal itself, when actually we were already at the climax, or pretty close to it by my reckoning.

DeTess
2018-10-21, 04:15 PM
I don't remember exactly where it was, but I think I lost interest shortly after...
short-hair girl died
...since before then I was under the impression that we were still in an elaborate prologue and that the actual grand adventure had yet to reveal itself, when actually we were already at the climax, or pretty close to it by my reckoning.

Ah, okay. I think it's just a case of differing expectations then. It seems you where expecting a grand save-the-world (or at least the bit that's left) plot, while the story was more about survival and getting by in the harsh world. I really enjoyed it as it was, but I can understand being disappointing if you expected something bigger.

Chromascope3D
2018-10-21, 05:00 PM
Ah, okay. I think it's just a case of differing expectations then. It seems you where expecting a grand save-the-world (or at least the bit that's left) plot, while the story was more about survival and getting by in the harsh world. I really enjoyed it as it was, but I can understand being disappointing if you expected something bigger.

Not even that, I just wanted a reason for the characters to be invested in the story they're in. It doesn't necessarily have to be global stakes; I'd just have liked it better if some more of the characters had more in the way of ulterior motives for being on this adventure. Like, basic survival stories are fine, but if it doesn't transition into a serious character study or interpersonal drama between the characters themselves, then I do tend to find it boring, no matter what the situational stakes may be. Like, everyone needs to survive, so what is it about these specific characters and their specific personal needs that overcoming this ordeal will fulfill for them, and how will it be particularly tragic for them if they fail?

Like, when what I mentioned earlier happened, i realized that, despite how long I had been reading for, I didn't really know that much more about the characters than when they had set out. They were still largely blank.

If you got more out of it than I did, then that's great. I think the comic has a lot of untapped potential. But, Sinewmire was wondering why the comic keeps flying under the radar, and, as a former reader, that's the closest to an answer I can give. :smalltongue:

Onyavar
2018-10-21, 08:24 PM
I'd just have liked it better if some more of the characters had more in the way of ulterior motives for being on this adventure. Like, basic survival stories are fine, but if it doesn't transition into a serious character study or interpersonal drama between the characters themselves, then I do tend to find it boring, no matter what the situational stakes may be.

... I didn't really know that much more about the characters than when they had set out. They were still largely blank.

... Sinewmire was wondering why the comic keeps flying under the radar, and, as a former reader, that's the closest to an answer I can give. :smalltongue:

Well, there was character development and interpersonal drama, but no overwhelming changes or revelations. Certainly no ulterior motives. We learned about Mikkel's character early on, he essentially never changed although he warmed up to the others a bit. Emil and Lalli eventually became friends (I e. Lalli sorta tolerates Emil now); Reynir learned magic (well, no, but he became a valuable team member after all); Sigrun learned a lot about leadership. But the knowledge gain and world building became to slow down as the frantic survival began to impose on the mood.
Poor Onni. Even poorer Tuuri. Her potential was still great, but in hindsight she was 'just' the plot device why Lalli would ever embark ob this journey.

Though I agree that I also expected more of this adventure. I stopped reading for months after a while, and found it nearly completed recently. So, Emil's background is only half explored, some mystery might still be there. The characters I love(d) most were Reynir and Tuuri, and the working of the dream world are still curious to me. And the cure looks like a bust, while the collected books probably dont make a difference for anyone. Expedition failed? Mixed success?

The story has not been fully told yet. Too many open questions.

(also literary critics aside: yes, Minna Sundberg's dedication, her drawing style and her love for detail and mood-creation are all simply awesome)

AdmiralCheez
2018-10-21, 10:23 PM
I hadn't really thought about it until it was brought up, but yeah, I didn't actually get any sense of growth or payoff in the story. The characters have had only minor development, we don't know anything about the books they collected, or things they found, or how this expedition impacted the characters and the world. It just kind of ends with them getting on the ship; there's no real epilogue or cooldown from the prior big climax.

I guess this is all stuff that could be fixed at the start of part 2, but still, there was something like a 60-page prologue, and a 5-page epilogue. It just feels heavily unbalanced and unsatisfying.

halfeye
2018-10-22, 09:17 AM
There was a lot going on, but I didn't feel that involved, and the last nightmare ended when a bigger bad turned up to stomp the tiny bads, which was cheesey.

Needs work. Why did the bigger bad stomp the tiny bads? It didn't obviously eat them, so why did it care? What became of the bigger bad? is it a future antagonist, if not why not, if so why?