PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder clear wall of ice?

Winds of Nagual
2015-01-01, 02:34 PM
Can I cast Wall of Ice to trap a monster behind it. Then summon ... say a pride of lions on the other side of the transparent wall?

Cheers!

atemu1234
2015-01-01, 02:41 PM
Probably, because you have line of sight.

Ashtagon
2015-01-01, 02:55 PM
No, because even if you do have line of sight (raw doesnt seem to say), you dont have line of effect.

atemu1234
2015-01-01, 02:57 PM
No, because even if you do have line of sight (raw doesnt seem to say), you dont have line of effect.

It's transparent! How does that block line of sight?

Ashtagon
2015-01-01, 03:01 PM
It's transparent! How does that block line of sight?

Doesnt matter whether it blocks line of sight. It is solid, so blocks line of effect, whichis the key issue.

Winds of Nagual
2015-01-01, 03:49 PM
Does summon monster require line of effect? Don't summons just appear? Unlike color spray or lightning, etc.

Ashtagon
2015-01-01, 03:59 PM
Does summon monster require line of effect? Don't summons just appear? Unlike color spray or lightning, etc.

You need a line of effect to the place where you intend your summons to appear.

ETA: fwiw, given that wall of fire is 100% opaque, it seems odd that the default assumption would bethat wall of ice can be seen through.

ericgrau
2015-01-01, 06:59 PM
I'd assume wall of ice looks like this: http://tchester.org/bd/blooms/pix/ice_chunk_2_crop_50.jpg
I'm mean unless its surface is perfect, it isn't transparent. Almost all other pics I googled were the same way, except perfect specialty ice cubes.

And yeah, you can't cast through a wall whether it's see through or not. You can in fact cast through a fog since you have line of effect even though you don't have line of sight. Can't use spells with a "Target:" line but you can use other spells.

Jeraa
2015-01-01, 07:04 PM
Just to post the relevant text:

Line of Effect: A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It's like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it's not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creature, or object to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst's center point, a cone-shaped burst's starting point, a cylinder's circle, or an emanation's point of origin).

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell's line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell's line of effect.