View Full Version : Has Anyone Played a Lightning Javelin Cleric?

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-01, 03:58 PM
I'm talking about that one prestige class from Complete Divine where you toss shocking returning javelins all day. Like the arcane archer but with full casting progression. It just seems so flavorful to me. I'd like to hear some cool thunder javelin stories.

Hobosub
2015-01-01, 04:35 PM
If you're referring to the Stormlord, I played one once (growing up from a mere druid).
Being a druid, it wasn't all that hard to get hit by lightning as required :)

It gives all your spears and javelins enhancement bonuses and shocking damage, but doesn't make them returning.
I picked up the Glove of Endless Javelins and a longspear as my main weaponry.
This worked pretty nice because of the wording on the glove.
You can make a full attack action with your (shocking force) javelins, but at the end of your turn, all javelins disappear, this means you've got both hands free to wield a two-handed weapon and make your AoO's against anyone trying to get adjacent to you.
The Stormlords upgrades both weapons for free for lots of fun; the main downside was that the +1 force javelins from the glove can't be upgraded with other enchantments and you have to wait until lvl 6 before the Stormlord ability surpasses the +1 they already have.

To fluff things up even more, I fixed with my DM that I could have a storm elemental (MM3) companion rather than a standard animal companion, his name was Sparky of course.

Things got really cool when the elemental became large and I could actually use his space to Storm Ride through the sky and call the enhanced lightning bolts in spaces where he was flying over :)

One thing you should keep in mind though is that this class really shines in stormy conditions, which impose penalties on your javelin attacks. Keep in mind you will want Far Shot if you plan on landing any javelins without getting kicked in teeth.

atemu1234
2015-01-01, 11:40 PM
I haven't, but it sounds like buying a returning javelin seems to be a good investment.

NeoSeraphi
2015-01-02, 12:30 AM
Is there not a feat from the Storm supplement (whatever the electric version of Sandstorm/Frostburn was) that lets you shoot in storms without penalty?

Hobosub
2015-01-02, 01:42 AM
Is there not a feat from the Storm supplement (whatever the electric version of Sandstorm/Frostburn was) that lets you shoot in storms without penalty?

As far as I recall, I explicitly looked for something similar in Stormwrack, but couldn't find anything.
It does have the feat Storm Magic, which adds a nice +1 caster level in storms (both natural and magical).

Renen
2015-01-02, 03:21 AM
Havent had the chance yet. But when I do, ill look faaaabulous

http://gamingtrend.com/wp-content/screenshots/dark-souls/LightningSpear.jpg?cda6c1=

zergling.exe
2015-01-02, 04:18 AM
As far as I recall, I explicitly looked for something similar in Stormwrack, but couldn't find anything.
It does have the feat Storm Magic, which adds a nice +1 caster level in storms (both natural and magical).

Stormcaster, 4th level ability Eye of the Storm, page 72-73. Removes penalties for all wind categories for ranged attack rolls and listen checks. Impossible is still impossible though, it only affects penalties.

How did you miss it?

Iwasforger03
2015-01-02, 04:51 PM
I played one once (going in from Cleric). Fairly high level too. I also got a custom magic item that turned all my javelins in the actual lightning Javelin from Arms and equipment, too, for lulz. So I could full attack and throw lightning bolts everywhere! I love that class still. Awesome prestige class for clerics or druids!

splashing.cat
2015-01-02, 06:43 PM
I haven't but a player of mine did. He loved it. Forgotten realms setting, worshiped Talos and loaded up on lightning. He started as a half-blue dragon cleric which was really cool because he had the lightning breath weapon and immunity to lightning, and eventually a combination of storm of vengeance and stormrage (spell compendium) gave him a pretty serious circumstance bonus to intimidate.