PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Magic Field question

GutterFace
2015-01-01, 08:33 PM
so the description of the Weave and the notation about anti-magic fields is that it forces magic to flow around it (phb 105 sidebar).

as DM's if there is magic traps, items, glyphs, etc. would they be shunted to the outer edges of the field in this case?

would attack spells ricochet or bounce off and possibly hit another target?

Shadow
2015-01-01, 08:38 PM
Magic originating outside (such as your attack spell) cannot enter the area. Magic originating inside (such as a magic trap there prior to the creation of the field) ceases to function while the field is in place.

Jeraa
2015-01-01, 08:41 PM
so the description of the Weave and the notation about anti-magic fields is that it forces magic to flow around it (phb 105 sidebar).

as DM's if there is magic traps, items, glyphs, etc. would they be shunted to the outer edges of the field in this case?

would attack spells ricochet or bounce off and possibly hit another target?

The sidebar is just fluff. Read the Antimagic Field spell description - magical effects just don't work in the field. There is no redirection.

GutterFace
2015-01-01, 08:42 PM
Magic originating outside (such as your attack spell) cannot enter the area. Magic originating inside (such as a magic trap there prior to the creation of the field) ceases to function while the field is in place.

i am aware, i was referring to the description in the sidebar specifically noting anti magic fields

GutterFace
2015-01-01, 08:43 PM
The sidebar is just fluff. Read the Antimagic Field spell description - magical effects just don't work in the field. There is no redirection.

interesting, and easier to manage. i wish they wouldn't put this type of stuff in.

pwykersotz
2015-01-02, 11:16 PM
interesting, and easier to manage. i wish they wouldn't put this type of stuff in.

But it's so much cooler with the extra ideas!