PDA

View Full Version : Speculation New campaign new character

Mechaviking
2015-01-01, 08:49 PM
We just finished an epic campaign advancing characters to 9th level, I had to sacrifice myself to power a machine that flooded Greyhawk with magic so that it would not be reliant on dragons to work(a little game of thronesy but very cool).

I convinced the group to play their current characters and were starting at level 9 in Furiondy(Gondor sortof) and well be fighting the shadow(Kius).

The group is War Cleric of Heronius, Argus the Pure
Samurai Barbarian, Chi Tan
Divination Wizard, Varrick(with Julie :D)
Necromancer Wizard, Buddy Jones Dwarf bodypart dealer and businessman.

I plan on being Alexander Lawrence Tell, and IŽm gonna be using crossbows.
I saw a pretty cool build using Eldritch knight and warlock for plenty of attacks which sounds pretty cool and allows for switch hitting with physical weapons and magical attacks.

Should I go lvl 2 warlock for the perma 2 first level spell slots and the agonizing blasts or go pure eldritch knight and just rock the hand crossbow and heavy crossbow?

Shadow
2015-01-01, 09:03 PM
Are you dead set on EK?
You have two melee, one of which is psuedo-tanky, the other is full caster.
You've got two wizards of differing specialties.
What you don't have is a skill monkey (and possibly a stealthy character).
Rogue looks to be in order.... but I'm biased.... because that's my favorite niche to play. Crossbow expert, dual crossbows when ranged is in order, handbow & rapier when melee is in order. Less overall attacks, but similar overall DPR average, while keeping the crossbow flavor. And arcane trickster keeps the semi-caster feel that EK would have had.

Thrathgnar
2015-01-01, 09:03 PM
We just finished an epic campaign advancing characters to 9th level, I had to sacrifice myself to power a machine that flooded Greyhawk with magic so that it would not be reliant on dragons to work(a little game of thronesy but very cool).

I convinced the group to play their current characters and were starting at level 9 in Furiondy(Gondor sortof) and well be fighting the shadow(Kius).

The group is War Cleric of Heronius, Argus the Pure
Samurai Barbarian, Chi Tan
Divination Wizard, Varrick(with Julie :D)
Necromancer Wizard, Buddy Jones Dwarf bodypart dealer and businessman.

I plan on being Alexander Lawrence Tell, and IŽm gonna be using crossbows.
I saw a pretty cool build using Eldritch knight and warlock for plenty of attacks which sounds pretty cool and allows for switch hitting with physical weapons and magical attacks.

Should I go lvl 2 warlock for the perma 2 first level spell slots and the agonizing blasts or go pure eldritch knight and just rock the hand crossbow and heavy crossbow?

I'm kinda new so take my words with a grain of salt, but if you want to go for a pure range build then warlock might be better. if you go for level 3 you can get pact of the chain and get a handy familiar. I'd look at a ranger too if i were you though, they get some cool range stuff and spells

Mechaviking
2015-01-01, 09:28 PM
@Thrathgnar I just finished playing a single classed Warlock :D, But IŽll think about the rest. Also I feel the ranger is kind of weaksauce.

@Shadow IŽll think about the rogue, but IŽve yet to see a fighter in action and the versatility and survivability of fighter kind of intrigues me. But still food for thought to be sure.

Shadow
2015-01-01, 09:35 PM
@Shadow IŽll think about the rogue, but IŽve yet to see a fighter in action and the versatility and survivability of fighter kind of intrigues me. But still food for thought to be sure.

Versatility is one of the rogue's strong points.
Survivability for a rogue after level 5 is almost a non-factor unless you're playing like a moron or just get really unlucky.
Uncanny Dodge is abso-friggin-lutely amazing. You basically use your reaction to take half damage from virtually any source (depending on whether the DM rules spells as attacks) once per round. It makes the rogue's d8 hit die go a heck of a long way.

Thrathgnar
2015-01-01, 09:37 PM
@Thrathgnar I just finished playing a single classed Warlock :D, But IŽll think about the rest. Also I feel the ranger is kind of weaksauce.

oh ok makes sense. I like the rogue idea, they are a really strong class, but I still stick with Ranger. They get some fighter basics like fighting style and extra attack (granted not as many), but what i love is the Hunter archetype. In the group I'm DMing one of my players is a Hunter, and he is the perfect ranged character. Colossus Slayer and Volley especially appeal to me, and he gets spells as well.

If you are willing to give up spells, Battle Masters can be fun. Not a big fan of EK, but it should be more about what you want to roleplay than the actual stats, so if I were you I'd think of what kind of character you would like to play then find the class that most matches it :)

Mechaviking
2015-01-01, 09:51 PM
oh ok makes sense. I like the rogue idea, they are a really strong class, but I still stick with Ranger. They get some fighter basics like fighting style and extra attack (granted not as many), but what i love is the Hunter archetype. In the group I'm DMing one of my players is a Hunter, and he is the perfect ranged character. Colossus Slayer and Volley especially appeal to me, and he gets spells as well.

If you are willing to give up spells, Battle Masters can be fun. Not a big fan of EK, but it should be more about what you want to roleplay than the actual stats, so if I were you I'd think of what kind of character you would like to play then find the class that most matches it :)

ThatŽs the thing, backgrounds your pick in skills and how you play the character in game can account for almost any class/combination for playing a role. I was also going for more of a British/Spanish Conquista/explorer hunter guy in mind.

But again IŽll think about it :D

@Shadow I see where you are going and I sortof agree. The thing is this campaign tends to be rather reactionary which sortof limits what a rogue can do. I should have specified I like the fighters weapon and armor versatility :D. Also the warlock I played had 20 in charisma the actor feat and all of the charisma skills and I used them 3 times(where it counted) in about 12 sessions. But IŽm giving rogue a stern looking at at the moment.

Ashrym
2015-01-01, 09:54 PM
If range is important then battlemaster archer can be a lot of fun. Rangers tossing out volley followed by 2 attacks on a bonus action from swift quiver, and another attack from hordebreaker while using sharpshooter feat isn't really "weaksauce". Ranger's also contribute to skills.

I agree that a rogue would do well to round out this group, or a bard as the other strong skill class, but magic seems to be readily available. The bane spell might be nice to improve other casters' spells, but rogue would still be my first thought.

Mechaviking
2015-01-02, 06:49 PM
Went with battlemaster human variant ranger as a battlefield scout, If I bite the big one IŽll look at doing a Rogue or Bard(depending on ideas and state of group).

Just Marksmanship, Lots of dex, resilient: wisdom, bow and scimitar(s) or knives.

Thrathgnar
2015-01-02, 07:49 PM
Good choice, they can be really fun. Good luck!

Mechaviking
2015-01-02, 09:23 PM
Gah!!1 meant fighter