PDA

View Full Version : MtG: YMTC challenge II: The Purple Blues

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Zaydos
2015-01-16, 03:21 PM
Am now thinking Silenced as white, Paragon as green and Second Wind as blue. Or Second Wind as red, Warpstrike on blue (blue are big on bouncing and evasion, after all, and Warpstrike is OP on red's high-power creatures.) Hmm.

Silenced is ultimately a very close to Detain but workable (and is very much WU with a higher leaning towards W just like Detain), do note that you probably want to avoid being too close to Humility (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4881) since it creates a bad (i.e. unfun to play with or against) game state and stick closer to temporary effects or single target enchantments; in truth you probably want to remove the line about the creature being unable to be granted new abilities and instead let it work more like Snakeform (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=157401) or turn to frog (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=389730). Warpstrike is a bad mechanic to have things give. It's unblockable that breaks itself with also being flicker. A better mechanic would have just been Warpstrike (cost) with the keyword meaning "if this cost is paid ~ cannot be blocked until end of turn" still breaks with high powered creatures but doesn't include the ability to break things with flicker. That said even as it is it can work as a printed ability on creatures, it's just not something to give out as an anthem buff.

Irresistible Force 2RR
Instant - R
Irresistible Force can't be countered and the damage it deals can't be prevented.
Irresistible Force deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
////
Immovable Object 2WW
Instant - R
Immovable Object can't be countered.
Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to target creature or target player gains 3 life.
////
Fuse

So if an irresistible force hits an immovable object, then the outcome depends on whether we're talking creatures or players. :smallbiggrin:

And that is amusing. 4 mana for 3 uncounterable and unpreventable damage is maybe more than I'd want to pay, but it has fuse which ups it to a minimum of 4 mana to do and it's just plain funny.

Next: Make an Idol (Idols are artifacts with the idol subtype, which have an ability costing 2 mana and tapping to energise each idol you control, and a line which starts "When you energise ~")

Spellward Idol: 2G
Artifact - Idol R
GG, T: Energize each idol you control.
When you energize ~ target creature you control gains Hexproof until end of turn.

(Asceticism is the closest thing I had to base this on, it costs 1 more but is constant on all creatures you control and grants regen and still ranges ~3-8 bucks, this lets you trigger a bunch of... wildly varying in power level abilities for 2 mana and serves as a reusable source of hexproof for your creatures; on instants and sorceries there was Ranger's Guile and Mizzium Skin which are both 1 drops with other advantages).

Challenge: Esper.

thatonesungod
2015-01-16, 03:23 PM
Irresistable object actually does not work, becuz the left half ie the top half resolves first but i still like

Faith's Idol 3
Artifact-idol U
WW, =>:Energize each idol you control
whenever Faith's Idol is energized regenerate up to 3 creatures you control
Idol's hold great power, but this one is mine

Faith's Sword 1WWW
Artifact R
Equip 2
Equipped creature gets +0/+2, W:regenerate this creature, and lifelink
Take this blade, it shall shield you from those who seek to do you harm

make something that can't fly and doesn't have reach that screws with flying things

Jormengand
2015-01-16, 03:32 PM
Regenerating Emrakul! :smalltongue:

Repeatable regenerates for W that can go on anything are probably not a thing that we should be doing. As for the idol, it would be crazygood even without any other idols to back it up.

Gravity Well 5
Artifact R
Creatures don't have flying.

Next: Something that doesn't kill stuff! :smalltongue:

Gandariel
2015-01-16, 03:42 PM
Really it ought to have been

Orzhov Battlecry 3WB
Instant R
Deal 2 damage to every attacking or blocking creature you don't control.
Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to every creature you control this turn.

Orzhov's standing army pales in confront of Boros' and Gruul's. They do make up for it with a little divine help.

Darn it! That's exactly what i wanted, but couldn't figure it out :)

Gravity well is... probably too weak. I suppose it combos with Island sanctuary and Form of the dragon?

something that doens't kill stuff...

Illiteracy 2BB
Sorcery-R (silver bordered)
All creatures lose their card text.

(i was actually thinking of a serious, single target version of this. Would it even work? as white for 3 mana? And maybe destroys all enchantments/equipments on it.)

Next challenge: Create a card with a powerful and nonconventional drawback (giving you poison counters, exiling many cards from your deck, etc)

thatonesungod
2015-01-16, 03:52 PM
do want to cast but cant becuz Un

Seal of Life 2WWW
Enchantment MR
When seal of life is destroyed each other player gains 100 life
Creatures you control are indestructible and cant be Exiled or Sacrificed
I seal your death, it shall never come to pass

make something that draws cards for another player

CantigThimble
2015-01-16, 03:56 PM
It's a silver bordered card alright. What the heck does it do to creatures that have "This creature's power and toughness are equal to ___" They would be X/X creatures with nothing to define X.

Maelstrom 2UG
Sorcery - R
Choose any number of lands you control, for each land chosen this way, add 2 mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool then put it onto the battlefield under an opponent's control untapped.

Make a card from Theros (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Theros_block).

Ninjas, make a card that causes another player to draw cards.

Zaydos
2015-01-16, 03:58 PM
Seal of Life 2WWW
Enchantment MR
When seal of life is destroyed each other player gains 100 life
Creatures you control are indestructible and cant be Exiled or Sacrificed
I seal your death, it shall never come to pass

So all opponents must play Enchantment removal? Do I really need to explain why this card is a No? Besides the 100 life just being throwing overly big numbers out there, the swingyness of play (it forces everyone to play enchantment removal at which point this card is worse than useless), and the op-ness of the complete indestructibility of creatures (which really is more of a Green effect than White).

make something that draws cards for another player

Frenzied Baloth 1GG
Creature - Beast U
Berserking (whenever ~ deals combat damage to another creature put a +1/+1 counter on ~), Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield target opponent draws a card.
4/3

Maelstrom 2UG
Sorcery - R
Choose any number of lands you control, for each land chosen this way, add 2 mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool then put it onto the battlefield under an opponent's control untapped.

Should be "Choose any number of lands you control, for each land chosen this way, add 2 mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool then an opponent gains control of that land and untap it." As the lands are already on the battlefield.

Make a card from Theros (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Theros_block)..

Theros eh?

Sacred Snake 2UG
A golden snake in a tree
Creature - Snake U
Heroic - Whenever you cast a spell that targets ~ choose one:
*Search your library for a land and put it into play tapped.
*Draw a card
2/2
Kruphix blessed the serpent with wisdom, and the blood of heroes who sought that wisdom have blessed its grove with vitality

Challenge: I remembered Intimidate is a thing. Make something with Intimidate.

Gandariel
2015-01-16, 03:58 PM
It's a silver bordered card alright. What the heck does it do to creatures that have "This creature's power and toughness are equal to ___" They would be X/X creatures with nothing to define X.

X is zero if nothing else tells you (like the CMC of cards with X in the cost)

Jormengand
2015-01-16, 04:01 PM
(i was actually thinking of a serious, single target version of this. Would it even work? as white for 3 mana? And maybe destroys all enchantments/equipments on it.)

Well, I've been using Silenced which does that, so it would probably work.

Frenzied Baloth: Reverse-cantrip is a cool idea. I like it.

Imposing Figure 2BB
Creature - Avatar U
Creatures you control have intimidate.
1/1

Next: Create another anthem effect (X you control get Y).

thatonesungod
2015-01-16, 04:22 PM
imposing figure is fine, not paticularly exciting

Master Bladesmith 2R
Creature-Human Artificer U
Equipped creatures you control get +1/+0 and first strike
1/3

Make something that makes things, whatever things you want

Jormengand
2015-01-16, 04:29 PM
Master Bladesmith is cool, and I like it.

Architects (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTHmE37X_Q) 3UB
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer MR
T: Put an artifact token called "What We Might Create" onto the battlefield under your control.
T: Put an artifact token called "Bricks That Seal Your Fate" onto the battlefield under your control.
T: Draw a card for each What We Might Create you control and target opponent discards a card for each Bricks That Seal Your Fate you control.
0/5

I just spontaneously felt like doing that.

Next: Something else based on a song.

Zaydos
2015-01-16, 04:40 PM
Architects (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTHmE37X_Q) 3UB
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer MR
T: Put an artifact token called "What We Might Create" onto the battlefield under your control.
T: Put an artifact token called "Bricks That Seal Your Fate" onto the battlefield under your control.
T: Draw a card for each What We Might Create you control and target opponent discards a card for each Bricks That Seal Your Fate you control.
0/5

I just spontaneously felt like doing that.

Needs "activate this ability only as a sorcery" reusable instant speed discard is a no-no.

Next: Something else based on a song.

Veteran of the Psychic Wars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGKNaIXtBZQ) 2UUU
Creature - Vedalken Warrior R
T: Deal 4 damage to target creature and 2 damage to you.
3U: Untap ~.
2/3
All the scars are on the inside

(inspired by this (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=108812) as well)

Challenge: something that assembles a contraption.

mystic1110
2015-01-16, 05:18 PM
Blue doesn't get that ability anymore

Rust Tinker 2R
Creature - Goblin Rigger
3, T: Assemble a Contraption you control.
3/2

What that even means - I think we should keep the mystery going :smalltongue:

Create a card with "each player's main phases" in the text

Fortuna
2015-01-16, 06:02 PM
Well, since it's meaningless I can't judge it, can I? So it's a vanilla 3/2 for 2R. Okay. It's Limited fodder. That probably means it wants a rarity - common, I'd guess.

This one's a struggle without butchering grammar - you couldn't have made it "each main phase"? :smalltongue:

Stasis Officer 4UW
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard R
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a permanent.
Skip each player's main phases.
1/3

Make an instant or sorcery with at least two keywords (proper keywords, like cycling, not keyword actions like scry).

Zaydos
2015-01-16, 06:18 PM
Stasis Officer 4UW
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard R
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a permanent.
Skip each player's main phases.
1/3

So nobody can play anything except Instants and things with Flash. This could get scary, and I could see you throwing a third color in a deck with this. What I don't get is why it's legendary. I mean the fluff seen doesn't really support it, and its ability actually means that you do not want multiples, so making it legendary actually just gives it additional benefits.

Make an instant or sorcery with at least two keywords (proper keywords, like cycling, not keyword actions like scry).

Vital Burst 1G
Instant U
Kicker G
Target creature gains +3/+3 until end of turn. If ~ was kicked the target creature gains Trample until end of turn.
Conspire (As you cast this spell, you may tap two untapped creatures you control that share a color with it. When you do, copy it.)

Challenge: Make a creature with two official non-evergreen keywords.

1pwny
2015-01-16, 06:24 PM
I dunno about it. It costs so much more than the actual Stasis, and the legit one seems more useful to me, personally. Its no even that big, but given the flavor it doesn't need to be. Overall, it seems much weaker than your typical Rare 6-drop.

Check the Library - 2BB
Instant R
Counter target spell.
Draw a card.
Cycling - B
Forecast - 1B, Reveal ~ from your hand; draw a card.

Challenge: a 2-mana Red card that does more than 3 damage.

thatonesungod
2015-01-16, 07:04 PM
me do like vital burst, but the copied one can never be kicked

Forged of a Nation 15
Legendary Creature-Construct Golem MR
Convoke, Trample
Sunburst(this creature enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each color of mana spent to cast it
when ~ enters the battlefield, if you control seven or more tapped creatures Forged of a nation is indestructible
10/10

Something else that can concivably kill emi the aeons torn

but not emi, emrakul cause emi is an idea i have for later, so just emrakul

Jormengand
2015-01-16, 07:21 PM
Turn 1 swamp into SBA, turn 2 plains into gather the townsfolk, turn 3 mountain into SBA+GtT, Turn 4 island into GtT*2, Turn 5 forest into Forged of a Nation for 15/15 trample indestructible. Ggnore.

More seriously though, it can get a bit over the top with decks that shove out tokens everywhere.

Mirrorblade Droid 5
Artifact Creature - Construct R
When Mirrorblade Droid is blocking, blocked by or fighting a creature, swap its original power with that creature's original power and its original toughness with that creature's original toughness.
3/3

Next: Make a planeswalker.

thatonesungod
2015-01-16, 07:32 PM
mirror and slay, seems dece but dies to chumps

Annie, Child of Fire 2RR
+2: deal 1 damage to up to 3 target creatures
-X: deal X damage to target Creature
-9: put a 6/6 red bear creature token with indestructible, haste and fading 4 onto the battlefield under your control.

make something shining

Jormengand
2015-01-16, 07:41 PM
Heh, nice. I like it.

Lux, the Lady of Luminosity 3WW
Planeswalker - Lux MR
+1: Tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step. You may tap another target creature.
-2: Prevent the next 4 damage which would be dealt to target creature and you may prevent the next 2 damage which would be dealt to another target creature.
-4: Yell "DEMACIA!" at the top of your voice. Exile target creature and you may destroy another target creature.

Because we all know Lux's ult comes up too often.

Next: This is quite fun actually; more planeswalkers!

Zaydos
2015-01-16, 07:53 PM
Lux, the Lady of Luminosity 3WW
Planeswalker - Lux MR
+1: Tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step. You may tap another target creature.
-2: Prevent the next 4 damage which would be dealt to target creature and you may prevent the next 2 damage which would be dealt to another target creature.
-4: Yell "DEMACIA!" at the top of your voice. Exile target creature and you may destroy another target creature.

The plus is hands of binding, which isn't white (closest is Ajani Vengeant) but is acceptable. The -4 is hard enough to pull off to be acceptable power-wise but again isn't really white (exile is, destroy isn't). The -2 causes memory issues and should probably say something like "before your next upkeep".

Next: This is quite fun actually; more planeswalkers!

Tasmyron, Wrath Forgotten 2GG
Planeswalker - Tasmyron
+1: Put a 0/4 green Fungus creature token with Defender into play.
-2: Gain life equal to twice the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
-5: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control have Hexproof. 1G: Regenerate target creature."

(Continuing this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18309605&postcount=919) character (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18179274&postcount=471))

Challenge: Make a new (as in does not share a subtype with any other planeswalker) planeswalker.

thatonesungod
2015-01-16, 07:55 PM
hahaha DEMACIAAAAAAAA

Kha'Zix, the Evolver 3BP
Planeswalker MR
+2: Deal 2 damage to target creature, if there is a spikes counter on Kha'Zix instead deal 2 damage to up to 3 creatures
-2:Kha'Zix becomes a creature with power and toughness equal to his starting loyalty and indestructible until the end of your turn, if ~ has a wings counter on it Kha'zix also gets flying until end of turn
-6:Kha'Zix cant be targeted by spells or abilities until your next upkeep, then put a spikes or wings counter on ~

make a robot

Fortuna
2015-01-16, 08:05 PM
So the +2 is red. The -2 is meaningless; I suppose you meant that he becomes a 4/4, but 'his starting' is nonsensical. He should also have creature types when he becomes a creature, should probably be legendary, and that ability is generally white, green or red, I would think - it makes no sense in black or purple. His -6 is terribly underwhelming, particularly since neither creatures attacking nor spells dealing damage target planeswalkers. It's also not clear why that should be black or purple. Overall, colour pie fail is the biggest flaw, but even rectifying that this would not be well-designed. Oh, and you need a planeswalker type.

Clockwork Craftsman 2
Artifact Creature - Construct Artificer R
3, sacrifice an artifact, T: Put a token into play that's a copy of an artifact you control.
1/1
A crude approximation of a true craftsmaster, capable only of imitation.

Make a white-blue-black card that is no other colours and has nothing to do with Esper or artifacts.

thatonesungod
2015-01-16, 08:29 PM
seems fine, especially if you have something that makes more than one token and u can dup artifact creatures

something for multiplayer

Faith's Bargian WBU
Search your library for up to 10 permanants, then put them onto the battlefield under target players control, then you lose the game
I may end this day but I will ensure that you live on

challenge: make something (a)effecting whether a player wins or looses the game/alternate win con

Jormengand
2015-01-16, 08:35 PM
I can see plat angel shenanigans already.

Subversion 6WWBB
Legendary Enchantment MR
If you would lose the game, you win the game instead. Otherwise, if you would win the game, you lose the game instead.

Next: Another legendary enchantment.

1pwny
2015-01-16, 09:26 PM
I don't know how well it would fit into competitive play, but it seems not horrible. The only real fault I can find in it is that it doesn't have "Platinum" in its name. :P

The Invisible Wall - 1PP
Legendary Enchantment MR
The Invisible Wall can block an unblocked creature as though it were a creature.
Creatures blocked by The Invisible Wall deal no damage.
0/1
I charged forward, but then hit a wall. An invisible wall.

Challenge: Another legendary enchantment.

CantigThimble
2015-01-16, 09:31 PM
So, wall of fog without flying and also an enchantment? I don't really get the point of it being legendary or rare.

Infinite Rage 2RRRR
Legendary Enchantment MR
Whenever a source would deal any amount of damage it deals 10 damage instead.

Make a legendary creature or planeswalker that is exclusively blue/black. Bonus points for making it something other than mill. (Grumble Grumble)

Fortuna
2015-01-16, 09:44 PM
This seems terribly complicated when you could achieve similar with something like
Invisible Wall 1PP
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Wall MR
Defender
Creatures blocked by Invisible Wall deal no combat damage.
0/1

Except that's horribly overpowered, so probably better would be
Invisible Wall 1PP
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Wall MR
Defender
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to Invisible Wall.
0/1

And at that point it probably only needs to be uncommon. Maaaybe rare.

Bearing of Champions 2WW
Legendary Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant creature
Creatures you control have +1/+1.
Whenever enchanted creature attacks alone, it gets +1/+1 for each other creature you control.

Huff. Resolve this in a burn deck and win the game, essentially. Resolve this in Limited and win the game. No, I don't think so.

Krinda, Lady of Lies 3UUBB
Legendary Creature - Demon Advisor
If an opponent would draw a card, you may instead look at the top three cards of that player's library and put one of them into its owner's hand and the rest on the bottom of their owner's library.
0/4
"In that black pit, with no weapons, no allies, no power, I mastered the only tool left to me."

Make a bard.

Jormengand
2015-01-16, 09:50 PM
Pretty nasty - basically fatesealing all their draws - but okay at that cost.

Elan the Bard 2WW
Legendary Creature - Human Bard R
Augment 1 (You may increase the value of each keyword or keyword action by 1, eg "Scry 1" becomes "Scry 2")
Other creatures you control get +1/+1
2/2

Next: Use Augment.

Zaydos
2015-01-16, 10:54 PM
Pretty nasty - basically fatesealing all their draws - but okay at that cost.

Elan the Bard 2WW
Legendary Creature - Human Bard R
Augment 1 (You may increase the value of each keyword or keyword action by 1, eg "Scry 1" becomes "Scry 2")
Other creatures you control get +1/+1
2/2

So it's a universal lord with an ability that makes Annihilator bigger. Augment might could work as an ability, but the only place you'd see it as a keyword is on Timeshifted cards or their equivalent. It's actually an ability that cannot be common enough in a block to be keyword worthy without it destroying the mechanics of the block

Next: Use Augment.

Amplifier Droid 4
Creature - Construct U
Vigilance
(2/G)(2/W)(2/U): ~ gains Augment 2 until end of turn. Use this ability no more than once per turn.
2/4

Challenge: Create a legendary blue creature.

thatonesungod
2015-01-17, 03:36 PM
now all it needs is a picture of r2d2 he he he

Mirai, the reflection 3UU
Legendary Creature-Shapeshifter R
When ~ enters the battlefield, it becomes a copy of target creature, except it's name is ~
and it gains the ability: =>: ~ becomes a copy of target creature except it gains this ability, put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of ~
0/0
No one has seen her true form, some theorize her true form is every form

make a statue

1pwny
2015-01-17, 05:41 PM
A very good cloner. Its more adaptable than Progenitor Mimic, but I guess that's okay because its legendary. Still, though, maybe make it MR?

Weeping Angel Statue - 7
Artifact - Angel Statue MR
At the end of an opponent's combat phase where they conducted combat, flip ~.

Weeping Angel
Artifact Creature - Angel MR
First Strike
T: ~ fights target creature. Flip ~ afterwards.
When ~ deals damage to a creature, exile it.
At the end of an opponent's turn where they did not conduct combat, flip ~.
1/10

Challenge: Make a LoL reference.

Jormengand
2015-01-17, 05:48 PM
Surely it should only work if they didn't conduct combat, because they're not watching it? Ehh, it's weird and can send an Eldrazi to hell. I don't really like it.

Idol of Durand 3WB
Instant R
Target creature has indestructible and outcast (This permanent can't be exiled) until end of turn. Until end of turn, exile each creature which deals damage to it.

Next: Something which doesn't do anything except under certain situations.

Zaydos
2015-01-17, 06:10 PM
Idol of Durand 3WB
Instant R
Target creature has indestructible and outcast (This permanent can't be exiled) until end of turn. Until end of turn, exile each creature which deals damage to it.

Scary with Guardian of the Gateless, or something similar, but expensive enough to be reasonable in such a situation. In most cases it's an expensive effect but works, might make it an Uncommon.

Next: Something which doesn't do anything except under certain situations.

Arcanistry U
Instant - Arcane U
If you splice a spell onto this spell draw a card.

(well it only does stuff under the situation of you having cards with Splice onto an Arcane in hand)

Balance the Scales 2WW
Sorcery U
Sacrifice creatures until you have no more creatures than the other player with the fewest creatures. For each creature you sacrifice in this way draw a card and gain 3 life.

(if you find the other doesn't fulfill the challenge well enough)

Challenge: Convoke and Bloodthirst both started out as Ravnican guild mechanics but now have been used outside of Ravnica for other colors (all and black respectively). There are other Ravnican mechanics which could theoretically expand beyond their guild colors. Make a card which has one (or more of): Graft, Evolve, Replicate, Overload, Forecast, Hellbent, Bloodrush, Cipher, Transmute, Haunt, Radiance, Scavenge, Dredge, or Unleash but lacks both the colors belonging to the guild it is associated with and still works within the color pie (this is why Extort, Arrest, Populate, and Battalion were left off; Battalion's name and concept makes it soundly white, populate is white or green, arrest is white or blue, and extort requires W/B mana to use while being strongly W/B).

thatonesungod
2015-01-17, 06:26 PM
i think arcanistry is fine, now will it ever see print(hint, no)

Faith's Armor WW
Instant U
Target Creature you control gets +2/+2 until the end of your turn
Overload 3WW(cast this spell for its overload cost: replace each instance of target in the spells wording with each)

make a giant lazor

CantigThimble
2015-01-17, 06:36 PM
Extremely strong limited card. My only question is what is "Faith"'s theme supposed to be? Is she just little girl Ajani? You've made basically every standard issue white effect for her so is there anything unique about her? Anything she does that other white character's don't? Anything she won't do that other white characters will?

Laser Cannon 3
Artifact R
T: Exile target instant or sorcery from a graveyard, put a charge counter on ~ then deal X damage to target creature, where X is the number of charge counters on ~.

I like this challenge and there's plenty more design space for it so:
Challenge: Convoke and Bloodthirst both started out as Ravnican guild mechanics but now have been used outside of Ravnica for other colors (all and black respectively). There are other Ravnican mechanics which could theoretically expand beyond their guild colors. Make a card which has one (or more of): Graft, Evolve, Replicate, Overload, Forecast, Hellbent, Bloodrush, Cipher, Transmute, Haunt, Radiance, Scavenge, Dredge, or Unleash but lacks both the colors belonging to the guild it is associated with and still works within the color pie (this is why Extort, Arrest, Populate, and Battalion were left off; Battalion's name and concept makes it soundly white, populate is white or green, arrest is white or blue, and extort requires W/B mana to use while being strongly W/B).

thatonesungod
2015-01-17, 07:20 PM
laser cannon seems fine, i dont know what faith does, i am thinking about it now

Overpopulate 3GG
Sorcery U
Populate, then Populate
Forecast 1G(to forecast reveal this card from your hand, forecast only during your upkeep):
put a 1/1 green insect creature token onto the battlefield

Challenge: make a new monowhite mechanic and a card to go with it

Jormengand
2015-01-17, 07:25 PM
Seems fine, I guess.

Scarlet Crusader 2W
Creature - Human Soldier U
Divine Shield (When this permanent enters the battlefield, put a Shielding counter on it. When it would take damage, remove the shielding counter and prevent that damage).
3/1

Next: A counterspell.

Zaydos
2015-01-17, 07:33 PM
Scarlet Crusader 2W
Creature - Human Soldier U
Divine Shield (When this permanent enters the battlefield, put a Shielding counter on it. When it would take damage, remove the shielding counter and prevent that damage).

Cool effect, similar to, but worse than, undying or having a totem armor enchantment on it. Needs P/T (2/3? Idk). Also should be all or a instead of the because proliferate, guilder bairn, and Vorel of the Hull Clade which could all add more Shielding counters to it.

Next: A counterspell.

Thought Pyre 3UU
Instant - R
Delve (Each card you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for 1.)
Counter target spell.
To forge my future I burned my memories.

Challenge: Black Chandra, White Garruk, or Blue-Black Ajani.

Jormengand
2015-01-17, 07:40 PM
See, I know I'd play that even in a deck which didn't care about delving/exile. Oh, and yeah, the P/T was meant to be 3/1 after the card of the same name from Hearthstone.

Ajani, Nightstalker 2UB
Planeswalker - MR
+1: Put a 1/1 black cat creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
-3: Sacrifice up to three cats you control: Draw a card for each permanent sacrificed in this way.
-6: You get an emblem with "When a cat enters the battlefield, you may draw a card."

Next: Another planeswalker with only 1 loyalty counter.

thatonesungod
2015-01-17, 08:14 PM
seems pretty strong draw, doesnt feel ub as much as wu, but fine anyway

Limera, key to worlds WUBRG
Planeswalker-Limera MR
+3:Draw a card for each color among permanents you control
-5:You may destroy a Creature for each color among permanents you control
-15:put a creature from outside the game onto the battlefield under your control with: at the beginning of your upkeep sacrifice this creature unless you control a white permanent, a blue permanent, Ect

remember that lands dont count

challenge: make something with music

Jormengand
2015-01-17, 08:24 PM
You could just say "A permanent of each colour" at the end. The glaring issue is that LIMERA HERSELF IS ALL COLOURS.

Right, so I think I've sorted this out. Paragon is now PG, Silenced is now WP, Second Wind is now PR, warpstrike is now UP.

Crescendo 1PR
Sorcery U
Crescendo deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Second Wind: Crescendo deals 4 damage to target creature or player instead. (You have second wind if you've cast another spell this turn)

Next: Something which uses Second Wind.

Fortuna
2015-01-17, 08:40 PM
I don't see why this is purple. Nothing about second wind says 'otherwordly' to me. This could just be mono-red. You want the second wind bit to say "that" rather than "target", because otherwise the spell needs to target twice, although only one of the targets can ever do anything - it leads to oddities with heroic and the illusion ability. And second wind in general has a problem; you're treating it like a keyword, but in fact the way to do a widespread conditional subclause like this is as an ability word. See Threshold for the highest-profile example.

Experimental Breakthrough 2U
Instant - U
Draw a card.
Second Wind - If you have cast another spell this turn, draw two cards instead.

Make a creature with unearth.

Zaydos
2015-01-17, 08:47 PM
Experimental Breakthrough 2U
Instant - U
Draw a card.
Second Wind - If you have cast another spell this turn, draw two cards instead.

Inspiration for one less or Divination at instant speed but requiring another card to have been played, I like it.

Make a creature with unearth.

Reaper of Shadows 4BB
Creature - Spirit U
When ~ enters the battlefield destroy target creature.
Unearth 2BB (2BB: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield. Unearth only as a sorcery.)
5/2

Challenge: Make an owl, or a dragon, or a cat, or a quantum physics reference, or something based upon an 80s children cartoon.

Jormengand
2015-01-17, 08:52 PM
Nasty, but probably not too strong.

Ironbeak Owl WP
Creature - Owl U
Flying
When Ironbeak Owl enters the battlefield, target creature gets Silenced (That creature loses all abilities except silenced and it loses all effects from auras or equipment except silenced) until end of turn.
2/1

Next: Something using Epic.

thatonesungod
2015-01-17, 09:00 PM
i dont understand why an owl with an iron beak silences something else.... but its fine

World in Flames 5RR
Sorcery MR
Deal damage to target player equal to the number of lands-the number of mountains you control plus the number of cards in your hand
Epic

Challenge: burn everything

Jormengand
2015-01-17, 09:05 PM
It's a Hearthstone reference. :smalltongue:

World in Flames would be fine if you decided whether you were talking about mountains or just any old land.

Otherworld Flames 1RP
Sorcery - R
Otherworld Flames deals 1 damage to each creature and each player.
Otherworlder 3RP (If this card is in exile, you may cast it for its Otherworlder cost).

Next: Enough fire, how about water?

thatonesungod
2015-01-17, 09:25 PM
i like otherworld flames but i cant ever see casting them

also the thing about lands was supposed to be total lands - mountains

Depth Elemental 2UU
Creature-Elemental U
Depth Elemental can't be blocked by creatures with flying
4/3

Make something Grounded

Jormengand
2015-01-17, 09:35 PM
You could just have said nonmountain lands.

Depth Elemental seems fine, I suppose. Screw you, Vampire Nighthawk?

Weapons Platform 3
Defender
T: Weapons Platform deals 1 damage to target creature or player
Setting stabilisers... ready to fire.
2/4

Next: Another artifact creature.

Zaydos
2015-01-17, 09:44 PM
Weapons Platform 3
Defender
T: Weapons Platform deals 1 damage to target creature or player
Setting stabilisers... ready to fire.
2/4

Compare to other Tims, it breaks the color pie by being the same mana cost and colorless, and has better P/T on a creature which doesn't normally care about having Defender. Rare covers some of these worries, but it should still have probably been 4 mana and no more than 1 power or 1RR and... maybe 1 power still.

Next: Another artifact creature.

Well was going to answer the grounded one so...

Grounded Automaton 5
Artifact Creature - Construct C
Protection from Red, Vigilance
3/3
We had problems with lightning strikes on the mountain top, until we learned to connect copper wires from the tops of the research automatons' heads to the ground. Not sure why that drove away the goblins though.

Challenge: Enchanter Planeswalker.

Jormengand
2015-01-17, 09:50 PM
Huh. Neat, I guess.

Sabrine, Guiding Hand 1WW
Enchantment Planeswalker - Aura Sabrine MR
(Aura is an enchantment type and Sabrine is a planeswalker type)
+1: Prevent the next 2 points of damage that would be dealt to enchanted creature before your next upkeep.
-3: Enchanted creature gets indestructible and lifelink until end of turn.
-6: Put 10 +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.

So what if I took this too literally? And yes, you discard Sabrine if she's not enchanting anything, because she's an aura.

Next: Something else with two different types that isn't an artifact creature or a god.

Zaydos
2015-01-17, 10:07 PM
Sabrine, Guiding Hand 1WW
Enchantment Planeswalker - Aura Sabrine MR
(Aura is an enchantment type and Sabrine is a planeswalker type)
+1: Prevent the next 2 points of damage that would be dealt to enchanted creature before your next upkeep.
-3: Enchanted creature gets indestructible and lifelink until end of turn.
-6: Put 10 +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.

So what if I took this too literally? And yes, you discard Sabrine if she's not enchanting anything, because she's an aura.

I said Enchanter not Enchantment :smalltongue: Overall really neat card although I think it's rather weak for a mythic and liable to end up in card disadvantage (because of aura issues). Also needs the Enchant Creature line.

Next: Something else with two different types that isn't an artifact creature or a god.

Jayce, Dream Come Alive 2UU
A substantially off looking Jace
Enchantment Planeswalker - Jayce MR
+1: Put a 2/2 blue Illusion creature token with "If this creature becomes the target of a spell or effect sacrifice it" onto the battlefield.
-2: Put a blue Enchantment token onto the battlefield with "Sacrifice this permanent: Counter target spell unless its controller pays (2/U)"
-5: You gain an emblem with "Creatures you control have Hexproof and Flying."

Challenge: Create an Enchanter Planeswalker (not that I actually minded the last one :smalltongue:)

Jormengand
2015-01-17, 10:21 PM
Hey! She does enchant stuff! Like creatures!

Anyway, it's a Ja(y)ce. A Ja(y)ce that didn't really benefit from being an enchantment and spits out bears like they're going out of fashion.

Speaker Trianna 3UPB
Planeswalker - Trianna MR
+1: Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it and it gets haste.
-3: Put a blue, black and purple aura enchantment token with "Enchant creature" and "Enchanted creature has defender" onto the battlefield enchanting target creature.
-8: During target opponent's next turn, you control that opponent.

Next: Something else which makes non-creature tokens. Bonus for land or planeswalker tokens. :smalltongue:

Fortuna
2015-01-17, 11:09 PM
Why is it purple? The + has been red for a long time, so why isn't it red? Other than that, seems fine, I suppose.

Token planeswalkers are a flavour fail. Token lands have memory issues - tapping a bead isn't easy to distinguish. So no bonus points for me.

Recycler 5
Whenever a nontoken artifact you control is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, you may put a token into play that's a copy of an artifact you control.
2/4

Make something with Forecast or Splice.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-18, 12:32 AM
That seems a little odd. I should probably note that at the moment, you can have the tokens copy the Recycler itself and build up quite an army quite quickly... well, assuming you build your deck around it, anyway. Given the history of artifact interaction that I remember, it probably isn't broken unless you put it in a deck that's broken already, potentially making it very lucrative for some highlander builds or something.

Eminent Domain 4U
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant land
You control enchanted land. It's an island.
Forecast - U, reveal Eminent Domain from your hand: target land becomes an island until end of turn. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)

Challenge: Make a common or uncommon creature card that represents a small group of creatures.

Zaydos
2015-01-18, 12:44 AM
Eminent Domain 2UU
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant land
You control enchanted land. It's an island.
Forecast - U, reveal Eminent Domain from your hand: target land becomes an island until end of turn.

4 mana is land destruction price now. This is a blue Mwonvuli Acid Moss with a forecast ability that lets you enable Island Walk (merfolk decks can do that easily enough, most other decks don't care to my knowledge). I'd say that even though it can be removed more easily than Mwonvuli Acid-Moss the fact that it's doing abnormal things in Blue (land removal + mana accel) that it'd probably be 3UU maybe more, especially as mana cost for land destruction has increased since Time Spiral.

Challenge: Make a common or uncommon creature card that represents a small group of creatures.

Unicorn Herd 2WW
Creature - Unicorn C
Persist
4/4
Watch them run past, one of the last of their herds. In a few more generations they will all be gone, but for now, let us enjoy their grandeur.

Challenge: Marvel Superhero.

Jormengand
2015-01-18, 08:59 AM
Huh. It's okay, I guess.

Deadpool 2UG
Legendary Creature - Superhero R
Players play with their hands revealed.
G: Regenerate Deadpool
What are these little yellow boxes?
4/4

All I remember about him is that he breaks the fourth wall at regular intervals and heals fast, so...

Next: Another legendary-planeswalker representing a character from another setting.

thatonesungod
2015-01-18, 09:56 AM
seems to be about what i know of deadpool aswell

The 25th Bam 3WB
Legendary Creature-Human Wizard R
W: put a +1/+1 counter on ~, use this ability only when there are 4 or less +1/+1 counter on ~
Remove two +1/+1 counters from ~ rome target blocking creature from combat and tap it, it doesn't untap durring its controllers untap step
1/1

Challenge make a fish bear

Zaydos
2015-01-18, 01:51 PM
The 25th Bam 3WB
Legendary Creature-Human Wizard R
W: put a +1/+1 counter on ~, use this ability only when there are 4 or less +1/+1 counter on ~
Remove two +1/+1 counters from ~ rome target blocking creature from combat and tap it, it doesn't untap durring its controllers untap step
1/1

Feels more WU than WB, but it's reasonable, the fact that it doesn't tap makes it usable.

Challenge make a fish bear

Merbear 1(G/U)
Creature - Fish Bear U
1(G/U), Q (untap symbol): Tap or untap target non-creature permanent.
2/2
Even the bears can control the tides.

Challenge: 2 of the following: An untap cost, intimidate, forecast, an aura, shadow, flyer-hate.

r2d2go
2015-01-18, 02:24 PM
This is a little too abusable for my tastes :smalltongue: one Karoo land or something similar gets you a 2/2 with psuedo-vigilance. Add, say, Paradise Mantle, and you have infinite mana. In fact, anything that lets the bear tap for an effect, plus a Karoo land, equals infinite of that effect. It's certainly not the first with an ability like that, but still... worrisome untap ability synergy on a 2 drop. It's a bit worse than Pili-Pala, and Pili-Pala was already pretty strong :smalltongue:

Planeguard Shade 2BW
Creature - Shade R
Shadow
(B/W) - ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1(B/W), Q: ~ loses Shadow until end of turn. Activate this ability only if ~ dealt damage to a player this turn.
2/2

Challenge: Something blue.

Ionbound
2015-01-18, 08:41 PM
Hrm. Not sure how well balanced this is, but it seems interesting enough.

Flashes of Victory-3UUU

Instant-MR

Play only when your opponent would win the game.

You win the game.

How fleeting true victory is.

Challenge: Vampire Tribal card!

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-18, 09:34 PM
Flashes of Victory is going to need some more work before it actually... well, works. As it stands, you don't get to just cast something as a replacement effect as the wording seems to imply. Its intended function, "The next time an opponent would win the game this turn, you win the game instead," is also a bit too out-of-nowhere for a win condition of its sort; you need to at least give your opponent a chance to do something about it. Putting it on an artifact or enchantment might be more reasonable as a sort of Platinum Angel substitute. If you intended it to only work on actual, "you win the game," effects - that is to say, if it doesn't do anything about you losing the game - then it might actually work as an instant with a wee bit of rewording, since it's kind of like a weirdly-specific Spelljack at that point. That would be pretty cool, actually.

Power of Blood 1B
Enchantment - Aura C
Flash, Enchant Creature
When Power of Blood enters the battlefield, regenerate enchanted creature.
Whenever a creature or planeswalker that was dealt damage by enchanted creature this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature is a vampire in addition to its other types.

Challenge: Make an Archer or a Spider. Or... both? Is that a thing?

Fortuna
2015-01-18, 09:54 PM
So, two problems. First, it doesn't work; if your opponent would win the game, you don't have priority to respond with an instant. Second, if it did work it would break the game completely. Build a 61-card deck filled with lands, card draw, bounce, and this. If you survive to turn 6, you win unless your opponent is running counterspells. And possibly even then, if you play it when they're tapped out or you get enough mana to counter their counter. This would never be printed, and for very good reason.

Bloodboil Skald 3RR
Creature - Vampire Warrior R
First strike
Whenever a creature or player takes damage, target Vampire you control gets +1/+1 and haste until end of turn.
5/3

Hmm. Potentially quite strong if you use it to subvert a double-block, but often underwhelming; likely to be played in limited, but perhaps not much outside that.

Arrach Sniper 3W
Creature - Spider Archer U
T: Deal 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature. That creature gets -1/-0 until end of turn.
1/2

Make a turtle!

Eldan
2015-01-19, 03:36 AM
Seems actually a bit expensive for what it does. I think you could push that at 3 CMC.

Turtle Island

Nonstandard Land

T: add U to your mana pool

1UG: Turtle Island becomes a 2/5 blue and green turtle with defender until end of turn. It's still a land.

A mythological creature. I'm leaving it quite open.

Zaydos
2015-01-19, 04:27 AM
Turtle Island

Nonstandard Land

T: add U to your mana pool

1UG: Turtle Island becomes a 2/5 blue and green turtle with defender until end of turn. It's still a land.

Doesn't need to say nonstandard, but that's a nit pick. Should probably come into play tapped or tap for coloress instead of Blue, but then again 2/5 defender is a little worse than normal for a man-land I think (too sleepy to thoroughly check).

A mythological creature. I'm leaving it quite open.

Draugr House-Rider 2BB
Snow Creature - Zombie Warrior C
Intimidate
(Snow): ~ gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

(for B less you can get a 1/1 flyer with the same pump at the same rarity)

Challenge: Something with prophetic powers.

Eldan
2015-01-19, 04:57 AM
A cursory check gave me slightly cheaper, non-defender manlands that were mostly monocolor. I think this should be okay.

Gandariel
2015-01-19, 07:53 AM
Draugr House-Rider 2BB
Snow Creature - Zombie Warrior C
Intimidate
(Snow): ~ gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

(for B less you can get a 1/1 flyer with the same pump at the same rarity)

Challenge: Something with prophetic powers.

This saddens me.
I played the old mtg video game a lot, and there were decks based around Carrion Ants, a 0/1 for 4 with "1: +1/+1 until end of turn"
anyways, power level is OK I suppose. It's still a pretty good card IMO, worthy of higher rarity.

Something prophetic. ..

Wildfire Prophet 2R
Creature - Human R

Whenever you would draw a card, you may name a card, then reveal the top card of your library. If it's the same card, deal 1 damage to target creature or player. Afterwards put the card in your hand.
2/1

Ha! Betcha you were expecting a blue card :P

Basically, show your draws for a chance of pinging. (Or cheat and use Scry)

Next, make a card that defeats Phyrexian Obliterator (in any way you want).
Because I friggin hate that card. (Bonus points if you do this with green or red )

Eldan
2015-01-19, 10:15 AM
I like it a lot. Not too strong in red, as red has little (if any?) deck manipulation, so you'd probably just be calling "Mountain" all the time. Very nice in blue/red.

Fleshwither Parasite 1B

Enchantment - Aura (U)

Whenever enchanted creature takes damage, prevent that damage and put that many -1/-1 counters on it instead.
When enchanted creature dies, its controller may attach Fleshwither Parasite to another target creature they do not control.

Make another parasite.

Jormengand
2015-01-19, 12:12 PM
So, burning is permanent and reduces power, and the ride never ends until someone nukes your enchantment or everyone runs out of creatures, for 2? Don't like it; seems like the kind of thing for whose sole purpose a burn deck would actually bother slipping black in.

Spelleater Beetle WPR
Creature - Insect R
Deny everything (Whenever anyone casts a spell, counter it unless that player pays 1)
The magic freezes in the air, and all that can be seen is a horde of scarabs.
3/3

Next: Create something with Flamestorm at least 2 (When a spell you control would deal noncombat damage, it deals X more instead).

1pwny
2015-01-19, 01:06 PM
Balanced, but I personally think it would be more true to fluff for it to only Deny noncreatures. But besides that, I think WPU would fit better than WPR, maybe?

Wildfyre - 3RR
Enchantment R
Fading 2
When ~ comes into play, tap all Plains. They do not untap while ~ is in play.
Firestorm 2 (whenever a spell you control deals noncombat damage, it deals 2 more instead)

Challenge: Make a spell with at least 3 colors, none of which are basic (WUBRG)

Zaydos
2015-01-19, 03:44 PM
Wildfyre - 3RR
Enchantment R
Fading 2
When ~ comes into play, tap all Plains. They do not untap while ~ is in play.
Firestorm 2 (whenever a spell you control deals noncombat damage, it deals 2 more instead)

The White hate is strong in this one.

Challenge: Make a spell with at least 3 colors, none of which are basic (WUBRG)

Protection from Insanity (1/2Pink)(1/2Purple)(1/2Yellow)
Enchantment MR (Silver Bordered)
You gain protection from nonstandard colors (colors other than White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green).
Permanents and spells you control gain protection from nonstandard colors.

Challenge: Something neither Blue nor Black with Transmute.

Fortuna
2015-01-19, 05:50 PM
It's... a thing? There's really nothing to say here; it's so far outside what Magic is that it's impossible to imagine it being printed without dramatic shifts which can't be predicted, so it can't be evaluated. That was inevitable given the challenge, of course.

Potentia 0
Enchantment - R
Transmute 2 (To transmute, pay this card's transmute cost and discard it, then search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as this card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Transmute only as a sorcery.)

Make something blue-green with a splash of white.

r2d2go
2015-01-19, 07:06 PM
Very interesting! :smalltongue: Might only need Transmute 1 though.

Kalon, Honored Bioseer 2WUUGG
Creature - Human Wizard
Flying, Shroud
Whenever a creature attacks alone, scry 3, then reveal the top card of your deck. Put X +1/+1 counters on the creature, where X is the CMC of the revealed card.
T, WUG - Creatures you control get +X/+X and Trample until end of turn, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on target creature.
4/4

Challenge: Make something else with a lot of colored mana.

Jormengand
2015-01-19, 07:18 PM
Hmm... I'd be worried about the swinginess if it weren't a 7-drop.

Burning Memories PPRR
Instant - R
Burning Memories deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, you may exile Burning Memories.
Otherworlder PPRR (If this card is in exile, you may cast it for PPRR)

Purple: all about the combos. :smalltongue:

Next: Something teleportation-themed.

thatonesungod
2015-01-19, 07:23 PM
seems very combo-y but it costs 4 so not superbly so, it is only 3damage

Aria of Travel 2WU
Instant U
Convoke
Choose one-
Return up to 2 target creatures to their owners hands
or
Put a creature with cmc 5 or less from your hand onto the battlefield tapped

Make a song

Fortuna
2015-01-19, 07:30 PM
Turn 1: Plains, White 1-drop.
Turn 2: Island, Blue 2-drop.
Turn 3: CMC 5 dude. With Flash. And, if I drop a land, a land open.

Nuh-uh. Bad card. Particularly bad at uncommon, where it will break limited wide open.

Chorus of Battle 1{W/R}
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant creature
When Chorus of Battle enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, attacking creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

Make an instant or sorcery that's no colours other than blue or red, cantrips, and does something else interesting. (In other words, make me a fun card for my Melek EDH deck. :smalltongue:)

r2d2go
2015-01-19, 07:45 PM
Pretty cool, though maybe a little strong. In an aggressive white weenie type deck, it's basically Honor of the Pure that cantrips. Making it WR, or maybe "red attacking creatures get +1/+0, white attacking creatures get +0/+1" would be good.

Weirdwave 2UR
Sorcery - R
Draw two cards, then discard a card. Deal damage to target creature you don't control equal to the converted mana cost of the discarded card.
Overload 3UURR
Replicate UR, Tap target weird you control.

Challenge: Make something else weird :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2015-01-19, 07:48 PM
EDIT: Ninja'd, but my card's pretty weird, so... :smalltongue: Anyway, weirdwave seems cool.

Chorus of Battle seems pretty good - I'd say it was probably fine without the cantripping, but I guess it's okay as-is since, y'know, rare.

Swiftsparks R
Instant - U
Draw a card.
Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, Swiftsparks deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
Sometimes, the fire won't set the wood burning, but a spark will.

Next: Something that double-cantrips and does something else.

r2d2go
2015-01-19, 07:56 PM
Well, it's very likely to just be 1 damage+cantrip which is... pretty decent, I guess? I can't think of a way to change it to improve it, and it's closest to uncommon IMO, so... pretty good! :smallbiggrin:

Explosive Epiphany 3UR
Sorcery - M
Replicate UR
Draw two cards, then deal damage to target creature or player equal to the number of cards in your hand.
If ~ has been cast at least twice this turn, it gains Epic.

...If you can get 3UUUUURRRRR somewhere, it really explodes :smalltongue:

Challenge: Make something else Epic (either the keyword, or just the english definition).

Zaydos
2015-01-19, 08:19 PM
Explosive Epiphany 3UR
Sorcery - M
Replicate UR
Draw two cards, then deal damage to target creature or player equal to the number of cards in your hand.
If ~ has been cast at least twice this turn, it gains Epic.

...If you can get 3UUUUURRRRR somewhere, it really explodes :smalltongue:

It's replicate cost is definitely undercosted (9 mana for 12 damage and 6 cards is really cheap; 11 mana for 20 and 8 cards is even worse). I will note that if you do, for some reason cast this spell twice (instead of keeping the second copy in your hand and simply paying 9 mana to replicate it several times over) and it goes Epic it's probably worse than keeping the card in your hand since you do not cast copies of spells (rule 706.9; as a sidenote this is why the fact that cipher specifies you cast a copy makes cipher fun) and that means you can't replicate the Epic version (which would be completely broken). In general even 9 mana spells need some boardstate to be winners, when they don't that's a problem. I'd point you to Undying Flames and point out how many times better this is, but Undying Flames... actually has a 3.4 on gatherer which is surprising. And with 13 mana you kill 1 and a half players assuming you were top decking (which the kind of deck that'd play this shouldn't be doing).

Challenge: Make something else Epic (either the keyword, or just the english definition).

Absolute Mastery 4UUUU
Sorcery MR
Gain control of up to two target permanents.
Epic (For the rest of the game, you can't cast spells. At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for its epic ability. You may choose a new target for the copy.)

Challenge: Make a card for a potential additional Ice Age/Coldsnap set.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-19, 10:06 PM
Big and fun-sounding. A possible capstone for my sibling's theft deck. More likely to force the game to end in a slow, painful sequence of milling than I might be comfortable with, but Epic spells were never meant to actually be played so much as be fun to look at and think about, and this sure does that.

Kaysa, Yavimaya Holdout (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3145) 3GG
Legendary Creature - Elf Druid MR
Other green creatures you control get +2/+2.
The third set in the Ice Age/Coldsnap block already exists, in case it wasn't clear. Of course, a theoretical replacement would have to deal with creature power creep...
4/5

Challenge: Make something small.

r2d2go
2015-01-19, 11:08 PM
Interesting, but maybe a little too powerful? It wouldn't be unlikely for this to be out turn 3, making your mana dorks into 3/3 fighters. Compared to Elesh Norn, it gets out 2-4 turns earlier, and has much the same impact for an aggressive deck. Of course, it doesn't get quite the same defensive applications and leaves your opponent's board unscathed, but I'd still treat it with caution. Perhaps a decrease to the original P/T, 3/4?

Adorable Bunny 1G
Creature - Rabbit U
When ~ takes damage, transform it.
0/1

Terror of the Woods
Creature - Rabbit U
Trample, Hexproof
5/5

Challenge: Make something that works well early or late game.

Jormengand
2015-01-20, 01:43 PM
Don't like it. Seems like an easy 5/5, potentially on turn 2 with the right combination of cards.

I'm not sure whether it's choose one, or if it's meant to be good at any point in the game, but... I'll make one of each!

Dust to Dust PPPP
Sorcery R
Exile target graveyard.
Everything tends to chaos.

Light of Life W
Enchantment C
When you cast a spell, you gain 1 life.

Static "When you cast a spell" effects seem like a cool theme, especially with cantrips.

Next: Another "When you cast a spell" effect, or an idol if you remember them.

Zaydos
2015-01-20, 01:57 PM
Dust to Dust PPPP
Sorcery R
Exile target graveyard.
Everything tends to chaos.

Very expensive for what it does (usually valued at roughly 1 mana). 1B gets you it as a cantrip that triggers artifact ETB and enter the graveyard effects as a common (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376431).

Light of Life W
Enchantment C
When you cast a spell, you gain 1 life.

Where as this is at least as good as Angel's Feather, etc, and should cost 2 mana and not be a common. It'd throw sealed all out of whack at common, uncommon minimum.

Static "When you cast a spell" effects seem like a cool theme, especially with cantrips.

Next: Another "When you cast a spell" effect, or an idol if you remember them.

Cradle of Gaia 2GG
Enchantment R
Whenever you cast a spell you may put a 1/1 green Saproling token onto the battlefield under your control.

(Fable of Wolf and Owl (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=152087) gives 2/2s for greens, 1/1 flyers for blue, and both if they're both, Honden of Life's Web (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=79180) puts 1+ in each of your turns but is bad without other shrines or the card that puts the legends rule on hold, Verdant Embrace (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=109766) is +3/+3 and adds tokens for both yours and your opponent's upkeeps, oh and Awakening Zone (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=271156) gets you arguably better tokens because of the mana ramp but for the most part serves a different purpose.)

Challenge: Something neat with morph.

r2d2go
2015-01-20, 04:16 PM
It's alright, I guess? :smalltongue: The examples you showed, along with the fact that green tends not to play tons of spells at once, makes me think it'd be reasonable at 2G.

Ethereal Assassin 3WB
Enchantment - R
WB - Flip ~ facedown. Until end of turn, it gains first strike, deathtouch and morph WB.
Morph 2WB
It flickers between the stars and the earth, reaping souls to take with it.

Challenge: Something else neat with morph :smallbiggrin:

Jormengand
2015-01-20, 04:38 PM
Huh. Weird, but I guess works if you're prepared to fork out an honestly ridiculous amount of mana for it?

Holy Vindicator
Sorcery - R
Morph 1WB
When you flip Holy Vindicator face up, put it on the stack as a spell.
Destroy target permanent.

Next: Create something which can be a permanent or a non-permanent.

Fortuna
2015-01-20, 05:06 PM
So you have to pay 3, and then 1WB, for destroy target permanent, which usually (if I recall right) costs 2WB? Overcosted. Also worded wrong; you need to use a replacement effect rather than a triggered ability to put it on the stack because sorceries are never ever allowed to exist on the battlefield.

I... really dislike this challenge. When you set challenges that not only push but break the rules, would you please provide alternative challenges?

Conjuration of Fire 1RR
Sorcery - R
Conjuration of Fire deals 3 damage to target creature or player. Manifest Conjuration of Fire.
Flashback 1R

Make another fun card for my Melek deck! (Colour identity includes no colours other than UR, is an instant or sorcery, draws a card.)

mystic1110
2015-01-20, 05:17 PM
Flashback might push that over the top :smalleek:

Repetitive Electrocution UR
Instant U
~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player that was dealt damage this turn. Then each player who drew a card this turn draws 2 cards.

Create a Black and White card with Regenerate.

1pwny
2015-01-20, 05:28 PM
Lets see... Shock is R for 2 dmg, and 1U for draw two is a tad overpowered... but since you're generally going to be using both late-game, I think its fine.

Wall of Ectoplasm - WB
Creature - Ghost Wall U
Defender
If ~ would die, regenerate it.
3: ~ cannot regenerate this turn. Any player may activate this ability.
0/1
We just need to put a little mana in to kill it forever, but until then...

Challenge: Make something that pays tribute to a completed anime/manga. Or a completed TV show if you know none of the previous.

mystic1110
2015-01-20, 05:45 PM
Lets see... Shock is R for 2 dmg, and 1U for draw two is a tad overpowered... but since you're generally going to be using both late-game, I think its fine.

Wall of Ectoplasm - WB
Creature - Ghost Wall U
Defender
If ~ would die, regenerate it.
3: ~ cannot regenerate this turn. Any player may activate this ability.
0/1
We just need to put a little mana in to kill it forever, but until then...

Challenge: Make something that pays tribute to a completed anime/manga. Or a completed TV show if you know none of the previous.

FYI - remember that my card can't be played unless you did some sort of damage - otherwise it has no valid target.

As for your card - seems fine - really annoying to play against - but fine :)

All Fiction 3B
Instant
Target opponent chooses one

Destroy all creatures
Place a -1/-1 counter on all creatures he or she controls

based on the sadism of Kumagawa Misogi

Next challenge

Create a red card that draws 3 cards

Blue Ghost
2015-01-20, 05:56 PM
I don't see why this needs to be an instant. As a sorcery, it should be fine, though it would probably thrive best in a particular kind of environment where large number of creatures are common.

Frenzied Inspiration 2RR
Sorcery (U)
If you have no cards in your hand, draw three cards.

Next: Make a Pokemon.

r2d2go
2015-01-20, 05:56 PM
Pretty decent for black control. I might buff the second ability, or make it temporary but larger (e.g. -2/-2 until end of turn), but still pretty cool.

Impulse Storm 2RRR
Sorcery - R
Reveal and draw three cards. Until end of turn, you may cast instants and sorceries with CMC less than 3 drawn this way without paying their mana cost. At the end of turn, discard these cards.
Madness 1RRR

Hm... seems a little weak. Red has better options for draw 3 (e.g. Act on Impulse) and this is conditional and not at all above curve. Maybe at 1RR?

Mudkip 1UG
Creature - Pokemon R
UG, T - Choose one:
- Fight target creature.
- Tap target creature.
- Mudkip gets +0/+3 until end of turn.
- Put a +1/+1 counter on Mudkip.
2/3

Challenge: Pick one or more:
-A blue card that deals direct damage
-A red card that restores life
-A green card with no direct effect on the board
Bonus points for doing more, and making it make sense color-pie wise

Jormengand
2015-01-20, 05:59 PM
I... really dislike this challenge. When you set challenges that not only push but break the rules, would you please provide alternative challenges?

Does it have to break the rules?

Moment of Blasphemy 0
Sorcery - MR (P)
Exile each creature you don't control. Choose one:
> Pay purple mana equal to the number of creatures exiled this way times three.
> Transform Moment of Blasphemy and but it onto the battlefield under your control.
//////
Lifetime of Heresy
Enchantment - MR
During your upkeep, Lifetime of Heresy deals 10 damage to you.
P: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to you by lifetime of heresy.

Rakasar the Transcendent 3PP
Planeswalker - Rakasar MR
+1: Draw a card.
-4: Exile target permanent.
-8: Transform Rakasar and exile him.
//////
Ritual of Rakasar
Sorcery - MR
Flashback PPP
Otherworlder PPP
Exile target permanent.

All fiction seems odd, but okay, sure.

Cardstorm 3UURR
Sorcery - R
Draw three cards. Discard any number of cards. For each card discarded this way, deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Ninja'd, but still valid for R2's challenge so...

Next: Something which encourages players to play a large number of cards.

Zaydos
2015-01-20, 06:07 PM
Cardstorm 3UURR
Sorcery - R
Draw three cards. Discard any number of cards. For each card discarded this way, deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Underpriced for its damage effect. Might work as 2 per card discarded but that still might be too much burn for 7 mana. Also Ritual of Rakasa's flashback and Otherworlder don't work as transformation isn't tracked in those zones.

Next: Something which encourages players to play a large number of cards.

Bursting Mycon 2G
Creature - Fungus
Whenever a non-token creature enters the battlefield under your control put a spore counter on ~ and it gains +2/+2 until end of turn.
Remove 3 Spore Counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling token onto the battlefield.
2/2

Challenge: Something inspired by Mindleech Mass (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=89054).

r2d2go
2015-01-20, 06:13 PM
Seems alright - It pretty easily finishes people off, but at 7 mana that's fine.

Do you mean Battle of Wits style, or storm style? :smalltongue:

Unearthed Mindfire 2RU
Enchantment - R
If ~ is not in your starting hand, you may discard three cards. If you do, search your library for ~, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
RU, put the top 20 cards of your deck into your graveyard: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Mindstorm 1RB
Sorcery R
Until end of turn, whenever you cast a spell, cast a copy of this spell.
Target player puts the top card of their library into their graveyard.
Storm

Maybe too strong. Compare to Bronzebeak Moa (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=368971), which gets a bigger boost but costs more, is multicolored, and doesn't make saprolings.

Mindleech 2UB
Sorcery R
Look at an opponent's hand. You may play a card with CMC less than 4 in it without paying its mana cost.

Challenge: Make something tricolored.

Jormengand
2015-01-20, 06:22 PM
Not sure Unearthed Mindfire works - doesn't your opponent need to know what you're doing before you do it?

Mindleech is nasty, because you can pick a potentially important card and you trade card-for-card, so it's like playing a four-drop and also your opponent discards a card.

Veldan Scout UPB
Creature - Human Archer C
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, you may have target creature get -1/-1 until end of turn.
1/2

Next: Create something else with One Eye Open (When you draw a card, X happens).

Fortuna
2015-01-20, 10:58 PM
I'll ask you again (this seems to be a recurring theme) - why is it purple? Besides that, it's quite strong; compare to a Tim, but limited to happening in your draw step, and repeat triggers happen by drawing cards rather than by untapping (harder, but also more valuable in itself, and it doesn't consume the draw to have its effect). I'm also not convinced that this mechanic is unusual enough, or interesting enough, to support an ability word.

Yes, it does. As Zaydos points out, one of your examples doesn't work, and the other example is of extremely dubious utility when you could just have an enchantment with a comes-into-play effect.

Seeker of Knowledge 1UU
Creature - Human Monk
One Eye Open - Whenever you draw a card, scry 1.
0/2

Make a librarian.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-21, 12:53 AM
Huh, that's pretty neat. It doesn't do much for your board on its own, but it costs resources to get rid of if your opponent doesn't want to put up with your infinite scrying. I like that the scry happens after the draw, though if a spell makes you draw multiple cards at once, a lot of judges will have to sigh and patiently explain that the spell has to finish resolving, and then you scry 1 twice, which is different from scrying 2... So, it'll probably end up being uncommon for the sake of their sanity. :smalltongue: Also kind of interesting that she's a monk. I'm not sure how relevant that is, but it could speak volumes for the set she's from.

Tamiyo, Guardian of Scrolls 3UU
Planeswalker - Tamiyo (M)
+1: Shuffle up to two target cards in graveyards into their owners' libraries, then draw that many cards.
-2: Put target nonland permanent on top of its owner's library.
-7: Search your library, graveyard and cards in exile for any number of cards, shuffle your library and put those cards on top in any order. Look at the top seven cards of each opponent's library and put them on the top or bottom of those libraries in any order.

V: The dryad's cool too! Treants are generally called, "treefolk creatures," though.

Challenge! Make something that can do damage, but sometimes doesn't for some reason.

r2d2go
2015-01-21, 12:58 AM
The first ability is draw two, and that worries me :smalltongue: basically, two turns in and you've got value. In fact, the second ability is often less costly than draw two, plus benefit, on regular spells. The ultimate is also a little weak, though it definitely does work. The main scare is tons of card advantage though, especially on a +1.

Hesitant Archangel 1WW
Creature - Angel R
Flying, Vigilance
Whenever ~ attacks or blocks, any opponent may pay 2. If they do, they may give creatures they control protection from ~ until end of turn, and ~ loses flying.
In some ways, the best angel, one who finds war an abomination. In others, the worst, as those it protects may suffer for it.
4/4

It's alright - close to a scryfish, but it doesn't have to tap, gets extra synergy with draw effects, and costs U more. I'd put it at strong common, decent uncommon?

Dryad Librarian 3GG
Creature - Dryad R
Whenever a forest or treant enters the battlefield, draw a card.
2/2

Challenge: Make a land or something that interacts with land.

Fortuna
2015-01-21, 03:05 AM
Your wording's off - "If they do, creatures they control gain protection from ~ until end of turn" is what you want. It's... seems pretty strong, actually. It should keep your opponent off your back for a fair few turns just sitting there and blocking, either eating two mana a turn or dissuading attacks until they can beat a 4/4.

Fallow Field
Land - R
T: Add 1 to your mana pool. Put a storage counter on Fallow Field.
T, remove two storage counters from Fallow Field: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.

Make a common instant or sorcery that costs G or thereabouts, gives a creature more power or toughness (either until end of turn or permanently), and showcases a brand-new mechanic in the process. EDIT: For example, Hunger of the Howlpack (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=382285) or Mutagenic Growth (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=233070).

mystic1110
2015-01-21, 09:10 AM
I really like Fallow field - I think you can get away with only one counter however. . . .

Lamentations of the Weak G
Instant C
Target creature gains +2/+2
Conquest - If you cast a creature spell this turn target creature gains +4/+4 instead.

Create a card with the words "even" and "odd" in the rules text.

Jormengand
2015-01-21, 09:28 AM
Huh. Similar idea to Second Wind only you have to use a creature. Decent, and fairly green.

Never Odd Or Even {1/2}WB
Creature - Mathematician Palindrome R
Cumulative Upkeep: Say "Red rum, sir, is murder."
When Never Odd Or Even dies, put a 1{1/2}/1{1/2} white and black human palindrome creature token called Dr Awkward onto the battlefield under your control.
"No sir, away! A papaya war is on!"
2{1/2}/2{1/2}

Next: Create another un-card.

Eldan
2015-01-21, 11:00 AM
Well, it's highly annoying for everyone. If you have to say that more than twice, everyone will have to murder you.

Apart from that... effectively a 2/3 for 3, with an effect that it only half dies. Seems decent. Probably doesn't have to be rare.

Oh no, Horde Scarabs! 1BG

Enchantment (U)

Whenever a player flips a coin, that player must put that coin into play as a 1/1 black and green insect token under their control.
Players may not flip coins that are used as tokens.
If a player has no more coins left, they automatically lose all coin flips for the rest of the game.

Challenge: Another D&D creature.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-21, 12:32 PM
B.S. pay-to-win game. :smalltongue:

Penguilion 1(w/u)
Creature - Cat Bird C
Penguilion has Islandwalk as long as you control and island and Plainswalk as long as you control a plains.
2/1

Challenge: Make something with the number 4 and the number 3 on it, and no other actual numbers anywhere on the card.

Jormengand
2015-01-21, 12:46 PM
Hmm... strange, but I guess works.

Darkfire ray RRPP
Sorcery - U
Darkfire Ray deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, Darkfire Ray deals 4 damage to another target creature or player.

(Incidentally, the reason it's purple is that I envisioned it as playing large numbers of noncreature spells, so the idea of bumping something if you've cast another one is why it works like that.)

Next: Make something with Paragon (If this creature has the highest power among creatures you control, get an effect.)

Zaydos
2015-01-21, 01:17 PM
Darkfire ray RRPP
Sorcery - U
Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, Darkfire Ray deals 4 damage to another target creature or player.

(Incidentally, the reason it's purple is that I envisioned it as playing large numbers of noncreature spells, so the idea of bumping something if you've cast another one is why it works like that.)

This would work as an Instant 2R Common (see Brimstone Volley (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=233253)) and your reason for it being purple also fits Red and Blue (plus as Second Wind doesn't specify non-creature it works for colors expected to play multiple creatures in a turn such as Green).

Next: Make something with Paragon (If this creature has the highest power among creatures you control, get an effect.)

Silverback Elder 4GG
Creature - Ape R
G: Regenerate ~.
Paragon - If ~ has the highest power among creatures you control it gains Trample and "1GG: Regenerate target creature you control".
6/5
(based on updating what was my creatures (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383184) back in the day for modern power creep... seeing as how it is no longer in my top ~15 CMC6+ Green creatures to throw into a random big green creature casual deck... though I just now find out they updated it by dropping its rarity)

Challenge: Make a counterspell.

Ionbound
2015-01-21, 01:32 PM
Seems pretty mean, but reasonable for a Green rare.

Deny-2UU

Instant-U

Counter target spell, then return target non-land permanent to it's owner's hand

Deny, deny, deny the psychopathic egomaniac!

Challenge: Create a Phyrexian-themed card with Transform.

Gandariel
2015-01-21, 01:33 PM
Whooooops ......

Hmm... strange, but I guess works.

Darkfire ray RRPP
Sorcery - U

Probably weak since the mana cost is hard to produce.

I decided to go a bit lateral on this challenge..
Horde's avalanche 5 GG
Sorcery MR
Paragon - if 7 creatures you control all have the highest power among the creatures on the battlefield, you win the game.

Something with "you win the game".

If that's too hard, a creature that starts out small, but can grow really big.

mystic1110
2015-01-21, 02:19 PM
Why is it keyworded?

Top of the Tower
Land
T: Add 1 to your mana pool
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has seven or more +1/+1 counters on it you win the game

Make it a Creature - buff it - repeat. Harder than it looks.

make something with flying.

Zaydos
2015-01-21, 02:35 PM
Top of the Tower
Land
T: Add 1 to your mana pool
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has seven or more +1/+1 counters on it you win the game

Make it a Creature - buff it - repeat. Harder than it looks.

I'd need to test it in play and I can think of some enchantments which would leave it a creature indefinitely... actually it could be the center of a fun deck with old Simic Graft creatures, Bioshift, Increasing Savagery, and some means of turning it into a creature, but it wouldn't be a particularly good win condition even then and it would need to survive till your upkeep. Needs a rarity but it looks good (although again playtesting would be needed to determine whether 7 is the right number of counters, I'd say definitely needs to be > 5 however), it'd end up highly depending upon the current meta what it's likely to get printed at and I'm not aware of how easy it is to get +1/+1 counters in standard atm and that is something that changes so quickly anyway.

make something with flying.

Cytoplast Sower 3GU
Creature - Mutant R
Flying
Graft 3
When ~ enters the battlefield put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
2GU, T, remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it.

Challenge: Something that interacts with loyalty counters in a way other than simply by being a planeswalker.

mystic1110
2015-01-21, 03:39 PM
Pretty balanced if not exciting. We need more rares like this in this contest - not everything should be insane.

Interplanar Companion W
Creature - Human U
~ get's +1/+1 for each loyalty counter among planeswalkers you control.
"I keep asking to go back home, but she keeps dragging me along to eternity and beyond."
1/1

Create a common.

Jormengand
2015-01-21, 03:52 PM
Gideon makes this hilarious. Should probably be rare at the very least, and I'd be prepared to bump it up one - compare Champion of the Parish, which is already pretty much auto-include for human tribal.

Zamzigar 1B
Creature - Skeleton C
Pay 4 life: Put a +1/+1 counter on Zamzigar.
1/1

Next: Make a card with an ability from another game (Such as Windfury (Hearthstone) or Retaliates (War of Omens)).

mystic1110
2015-01-21, 04:07 PM
Common is Common :smalltongue: Good card.

As for heartstone .... hmmm

Arrows of the Mind 2U
Instant C
Draw a card
Combo - If you played another card this turn, draw 2 cards instead.

Create a blue card that can exile a creature.

Zaydos
2015-01-21, 04:14 PM
Arrows of the Mind 2U
Instant C
Draw a card

Reasonable. I can see playing this over Divination in some decks, but playing Divination over it in most decks.

Temporal Banishment 2U
Enchantment U
Vanishing 3 (This permanent enters the battlefield with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target nonland permanent until ~ leaves the battlefield. (That permanent returns under its owner's control.)

Challenge: Something that manipulates time counters.

Fortuna
2015-01-21, 04:25 PM
Common is Common :smalltongue: Good card.

As for heartstone .... hmmm

Arrows of the Mind 2U
Instant C
Draw a card

I'd just like to note that I already did pretty much exactly this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?390910-MtG-YMTC-challenge-II-The-Purple-Blues&p=18673889#post18673889). Yours is strictly better, because it triggers from playing a land, but the similarity is nonetheless striking. :smalltongue:

Temporal Banishment makes a lot of sense. I approve. I'm not quite sure the mana cost is right - I think it might want to go up or down 1 - but it seems solid and fun.

Unweaver 2B
Creature - Horror U
Vanishing 4
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from a permanent you control.
5/5

1pwny
2015-01-21, 04:34 PM
Challenge?

Fortuna
2015-01-21, 04:40 PM
Oops, quite right. Challenge is to make a vehicle!

mystic1110
2015-01-21, 04:53 PM
Unweaver is really well designed!

Winged Elephant WG
Creature - Elephant Bird U
Can't attack or block alone.
Whenever ~ attacks or blocks target creature with a converted mana cost equal to or less than ~ gains flying.
3/3

Hopefully that gets the flavor of riding the elephant across.

Create a card that creates two different types of tokens

r2d2go
2015-01-21, 05:32 PM
Huh. A lack of comma after "blocks" got me very confused, but overall it seems pretty cool. It also seems a little too strong though - Green Stompy mixed with White Weenie seems like it'd make this pretty insane, as it'd be similar to a 3/3 flying for 2. Even worse, it might be a 3/3 for 2, and then your Rancor-Hyena Umbra-Ethereal Armor-Fencing Ace monstrosity gets Flying, and you swing for lethal :smalltongue: Of course, efficient and powerful doesn't mean broken, but I do think it might deserve Rare.

Splish-Splash 2UR
Tribal Sorcery - Weird U
Put a 1/3 Weird token with "R - This creature gains +1/+0 until end of turn" and a 3/1 Weird token with "U - This creature gains +0/+1 until end of turn" onto the battlefield.

Challenge: Make card with an unusual formatting (e.g. Transform, Split, that weird flip thing from Kamigawa which might actually just be Transform, etc.)

Jormengand
2015-01-21, 05:44 PM
Instant is a type, not a sorcery subtype. Otherwise, looks okay.

Let's try this again:

Ritual of Rakasar
Sorcery - MR
When you cast Ritual of Rakasar, transform it and resolve the transformed spell instead.
Flashback PPP
Otherworlder PPP
Exile target permanent.
//////
-8: Exile Rakasar. You get an emblem with "If you would transform Ritual of Rakasar, don't."

That unusual enough for you? :smalltongue:

Next: Create something to do with music.

r2d2go
2015-01-21, 05:59 PM
It's cool, but... You can't cast the Ritual unless you exile/discard it, if it has no CMC :smalltongue: I would think that's intentional, but that's not how the other one works. Did you mean to move the 3PP cost to the top iteration?

Note of Cacophony 2RU
Instant - R
Deal 1 damage to each creature you don't control, then tap them.

Challenge: Make a creature with an enter-the-battlefield effect.

Gandariel
2015-01-21, 06:09 PM
Instant is a type, not a sorcery subtype. Otherwise, looks okay.

Let's try this again:

Ritual of Rakasar
Sorcery - MR
When you cast Ritual of Rakasar, transform it and resolve the transformed spell instead.
Flashback PPP
Otherworlder PPP
Exile target permanent.
//////
-8: Exile Rakasar. You get an emblem with "If you would transform Ritual of Rakasar, don't."

That unusual enough for you? :smalltongue:

Next: Create something to do with music.
Mmm, weird and not really powerful. Why would I ever want to use the ultimate?

Keep up with the Beat 2R
Enchantment R
Whenever you cast a spell, put a charge counter on ~. Whenever your opponent casts a spell, remove a charge counter from ~.
At the beginning of your upleep, if ~ has three or more charge counters, you may sacrifice it. If you do, draw 3 cards.

This might be too silly and be declassified to an Un-card. But I liked the idea.

Next challenge, something that you usually cast on your enemy, but might sometimes be good to cast on yourself.

(Right now I'm thinking of Alextrasza from Hearthstone, which sets a hero's life total to 15 when she enters the field)

Zaydos
2015-01-21, 06:16 PM
Note of Cacophony 2RU
Instant - R
Deal 1 damage to each creature you don't control, then tap them.

Compared to Sleep (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=254119) which is already a strong uncommon but better (play at the end of main phase one) I'd say it's too much, Sleep opens them for 2 turns, this only opens them for 1, but combines an electrickery on there. Maybe make it a Sorcery? Or make it cost more mana.

Challenge: Make a creature with an enter-the-battlefield effect.

Rockstorm Weird 4R
A whirling mass of rocks held into a vaguely human shape by electricity
Creature - Weird U
When ~ enters the battlefield destroy target land.
3/3

And because ninja

Mmm, weird and not really powerful. Why would I ever want to use the ultimate?

Infinitely reusable exile target permanent for 3 mana that cannot be gotten rid of except by shuffling into your deck is not really powerful? And you wouldn't since as it is if you flash it back... actually the card doesn't work because you flash it back and then it becomes a permanent exiles itself and...

Keep up with the Beat 2R
Enchantment R
Whenever you cast a spell, put a charge counter on ~. Whenever your opponent casts a spell, remove a charge counter from ~.
At the beginning of your upleep, if ~ has three or more charge counters, you may sacrifice it. If you do, draw 3 cards.

This might be too silly and be declassified to an Un-card. But I liked the idea.

I wouldn't use it, but it's reasonable. Might reduce it to 2 or even 1 mana since you have to play 3 more spells than your opponent to gain any benefit.

Next challenge, something that you usually cast on your enemy, but might sometimes be good to cast on yourself.

Sacrificial Rite B
Instant U
Play this card only during an opponent's main phase.
Target player sacrifices the creature they control with the highest power then adds colorless mana to their mana pool equal to its converted mana cost.

Challenge: Red fattie.

Jormengand
2015-01-21, 06:33 PM
Zay, the thing doesn't become a permanent because the emblem tells it not to.

I'm sure there's something horrible that you can do with that but I don't know what. Anyway, it's decent.

Collossal Aurochs 3RRRR
Creature - Cow R
When Collossal Aurochs dies, put it in your hand instead of the graveyard.
"Graze not on grass this day, for your horns will rake the sky and your rumen will boil with blood!"
- Mogesh.
5/5

Next: Something big and purple, or something lolhuge and blue.

r2d2go
2015-01-21, 07:23 PM
Doesn't seem very red (besides being war-of-omens red). More like black, or green, or maybe white. It's also pretty weak - 7 heavy colored mana for a 5/5 is awful (like, bad-common), and the return-to-hand is one card of card advantage. This could go down to uncommon and cost one less, IMO.

Bane of Aggression 4WU
Creature - Titan R
Defender, Shroud, Flying, Lifelink
Bane of Aggression can block any number of creatures.
1/16

Challenge: Make something else amusingly lopsided in P/T. Or another way, if you can think of one, I guess :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2015-01-21, 07:38 PM
Ehh. The keeping coming back at you made me feel it was red, and given that it keeps coming back forever and ever and ever I felt it was worth the extra 2.

Well, you just shut down a fair number of different decks entirely with one 6-drop. Grats?

Seven Steps Ahead 6UUUU
Sorcery - R
Draw eight cards and each other player draws a card.
"I'm curious, youngling, to know what you gained from this. Do you have some new trick that I learned decades past? Some crazed gambit that might just have worked if my last three thousand foes had not tried it? Go on. Give it your best shot."

That count as lopsided?

Next: Create something to do with individualism.

Fortuna
2015-01-21, 07:52 PM
That's terribly expensive. For one more mana you could cast an eight-point Blue Sun's Zenith at instant speed, without giving all your opponents a card draw and with the option to pay less for less effect (or more for more effect). I don't think this would be likely to see even casual play at that mana cost; CMC 7 seems more appropriate.

Perfect Symmetry 3GWU
Enchantment - MR
Whenever a nontoken permanent enters the battlefield, each player who doesn't control it puts a token that's a copy of that permanent into play.
Individuality is weakness, is frailty; when the world is brought into symmetry, all shall benefit.

Make a card that's really, really angry.

r2d2go
2015-01-21, 07:55 PM
Edit: The ninjas :smallfrown: one moment :smallbiggrin:

To be fair, most of those decks win before turn 6 :smalltongue: and yes, that is lopsided. Maybe not strong enough without some form of cheating out (you're probably spending your whole turn drawing), but it seems alright.

Flower of Awe 6
Artifact - M
All permanents except basic lands are Legendary.
When people refer to a "unique and beautiful flower"...

Challenge: Make a unique and beautiful flower :smalltongue: err, only interpret that literally if you really want to...

Jormengand
2015-01-21, 07:56 PM
Probably works weirdly with legendaries is the only problem. And worlds? Planeswalkers? Also, planeswalker tokens in the first place? Hmm.

Ninja: Flower of Awe seems fine.

Raging Pyromaniac PR
Creature - Human mage U
Raging Pyromaniac attacks each turn if able.
Flamestorm 1 (When an instant or sorcery you control would deal damage, it deals 1 more damage instead).
BUUUUURN!
2/2

Achaizeroth, the Burning Rose 12
Legendary Artifact MR
Flamestorm 8 (When an instant or sorcery you control would deal damage, it deals 8 more damage instead).
The flower burns so brightly that all who look upon it are blinded, so that its beauty is the last thing burned into their mind.

Next: BUUUUURN!

Fortuna
2015-01-21, 08:07 PM
It... seems kind of bad, honestly. I mean, it's liable to win the game for a burn deck, but a burn deck's unlikely to be able to cheat it out; conversely, an artifact deck can cheat it out, but artifact decks have better things to cheat out that don't require them to hybridize with burn. Not seeing the use case here.

Soulfire 5BR
Sorcery - MR
Soulfire deals damage to each opponent and each creature an opponent controls equal to your life total. At the beginning of the next end step, you lose that much life.
If I am to die, it will not be alone!

Make another common instant or sorcery that costs G or thereabouts, gives a creature more power or toughness (either until end of turn or permanently), and showcases a brand-new mechanic in the process,

r2d2go
2015-01-21, 08:13 PM
A problem with this is that it will almost certainly clear the board of blockers, meaning if your power on the board + your life is equal to or greater than opponent's life, you win. That opens things up like turn one mountain, one drop, turn two, swamp, a combination of red and black instant ramp, this thing. It's an insane finisher in a lot of decks. A higher mana cost or a weakened effect might help.

Mutant Growth G
Sorcery - C
Until end of turn, creatures gain Mutate 1 with a cost equal to the creature's mana cost.

Mutate X (cost): You may cast this spell for its Mutate cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters and is Mutated.

Splicer's Scalpel 4
Artifact - R
Equipped creature has "Whenever equipped creature deals damage to a creature, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature and it becomes Mutated."
1UG: Target mutated creature you control gets +1/+1 for each -1/-1 counter on mutate creatures you don't control until end of turn.
Equip 4

Mutant's Aegis 1UG
Instant - U
Target creature gets +3/+3 and hexproof until end of turn.
If it was mutated, it also gains Flying and Trample until end of turn.

Sudden Mutation UG
Instant - C
Target creature gets +3/-3 and becomes Mutated until end of turn.

Challenge: Make a mechanic.

Zaydos
2015-01-21, 09:01 PM
Mutant Growth G
Sorcery - C
The next creature spell you cast gets Mutate 1 with a cost equal to the creature's mana cost.

Mutate X (cost): You may cast this spell for its Mutate cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters and is Mutated.

Wording feels awkward since it needs to have mutate before you cast it for this to take effect. Since it'd not be too powerful to make it apply to all creatures you cast this turn I'd just make it "Until end of turn, creatures in your hand gain "Mutate 1 with a cost equal to the creature's mana cost."

Challenge: Make a mechanic.

Annihilvore 2UU
A stark monochromatic amoeba like creature illustrated in a different style than the background scene
Creature - Horror U
Flying
Void - As long as you have 7 or more cards in exile ~ gains Annihilator 1.
2/3

Challenge: Something Black.

1pwny
2015-01-21, 09:24 PM
The low P/T for a 4-drop makes sense for blue, but Annihilator kinds of looses its power when the other person can kill you thing with any decent flier/reacher. Its cool, though. I think the price is right. I would (and did) change the wording of "Void", from "you have" to "you control"

Cannibal Rats 2BB
Creature - Rat Cannibal U
While this card is in play, its name is treated as "Relentless Rats."
Exile a creature from your graveyard: ~ gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
Void: As long as you control 7 or more creatures in exile, ~ gains deathtouch.
2/2

Challenge: Make more Relentless Rats synergy!

r2d2go
2015-01-21, 09:59 PM
It's a bit stronger than you might think, what with all the black/green grave synergy. Still, the price is right. I like it! :smalltongue:

Relentless Bats 1BB
Creature - Bat R
Flying
For each other Relentless Rat on the battlefield, ~ gets +1/+0.
This card's name is treated as "Relentless Rats".
0/2

Challenge: Make another "Relentless" card.

Zaydos
2015-01-21, 10:07 PM
Relentless Bats 1BB
Creature - Bat R
Flying
For each Relentless Rat on the battlefield, ~ gets +1/+0.
This card's name is treated as "Relentless Rats".
0/2

I'd make the name thing only apply while the card is on the battlefield. I think it's supposed to as it lacks the line to make it work otherwise. That said it's trading 1 power for flying which might be a little too much; I'd throw in an "other" in the top line.

Challenge: Make another "Relentless" card.

Relentless Persecution 2WWW
Enchantment - R
When ~ enters the battlefield exile target non-land permanent and all non-land permanents which share a name with it.

Whenever a non-land permanent that shares a name with the exiled permanent enters the battlefield exile it.

Drive out the unclean, till they are no more, for never must we suffer the unclean to live.

Ok I know that's not what you meant :P

Relentless Ooze 1GG
Creature - Ooze U (planeshifted)
Relentless Ooze gets +1/+1 for each other creature on the battlefield named Relentless Rats.

A deck can have any number of cards named Relentless Ooze.
2/2

Challenge: Make a card that represents an inflexible destiny.

r2d2go
2015-01-21, 10:31 PM
Relentless Persecution 2WWW
Enchantment - R
When ~ enters the battlefield exile target non-land permanent and all non-land permanents which share a name with it.

Whenever a non-land permanent that shares a name with the exiled permanent enters the battlefield exile it.

Drive out the unclean, till they are no more, for never must we suffer the unclean to live.

Ok I know that's not what you meant :P

Actually, I intentionally made interpretation that possible, so that's fine :smallbiggrin: It's alright, though it might be fine at 1WWW or 3WW/4W. Compare to Oblivion Ring - how often will you get the extra effect?

Relentless Ooze 1GG
Creature - Ooze U (planeshifted)
Relentless Ooze gets +1/+1 for each other creature on the battlefield named Relentless Rats.

A deck can have any number of cards named Relentless Ooze.
2/2

Challenge: Make a card that represents an inflexible destiny.

Uh, did you mean to make it all Relentless Ooze? Because otherwise this is kinda weird :smalltongue:
still, planeshifting is always fine, if boring.

Destined for Battle 2WR
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchanted creature gets Doublestrike, Vigilance, and must attack and block each turn if able.

Challenge: Make something dual colored. Or I guess if that's not specific enough, make something with two enemy colors but is associated with both relevant clans (e.g. R/U is in both Temur and Jeskai).

Zaydos
2015-01-22, 03:53 PM
Actually, I intentionally made interpretation that possible, so that's fine :smallbiggrin: It's alright, though it might be fine at 1WWW or 3WW/4W. Compare to Oblivion Ring - how often will you get the extra effect?

Things stay exiled when it leaves, though, but yeah it might should just be 3WW.

Uh, did you mean to make it all Relentless Ooze? Because otherwise this is kinda weird :smalltongue:
still, planeshifting is always fine, if boring.

Yes, yes I did.

Destined for Battle 2WR
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchanted creature gets Doublestrike, Vigilance, and must attack and block each turn if able.

+1 R for Vigilance and must attack and block each turn if able compared to Battle Mastery... I think it's balanced.

Challenge: Make something dual colored. Or I guess if that's not specific enough, make something with two enemy colors but is associated with both relevant clans (e.g. R/U is in both Temur and Jeskai).

Grim Hunter 1GU
Creature - Faerie Knight R
~'s power is equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.
Ferocity - If you control a creature with power 4 or greater whenever ~ attacks put the top 3 cards of your library into your graveyard.
Void - If you own 7 or more cards in exile ~ gains Flying.
*/*+1

Challenge: Make a monument.

1pwny
2015-01-22, 05:29 PM
Its a very strange card. Very, very strange.

It attacks, you mill yourself, it buffs itself, and then it sometimes gets flying? Its strange, but worded properly nonetheless.

Monument to the Ineffable - 6
Legendary Artifact - Monument MR
Ineffable (this card cannot leave the battlefield)
5: Target creature you control gains Ineffable until end of turn.
Just a portion of The Ineffable's power can keep even the weakest among us.
- Scripture at bottom of statue

Amkii, the Ineffable - 8
Legendary Creature - Amkii MR
Amkii, the Ineffable cannot be countered.
Ineffable (this card cannot leave the battlefield)
Resurrection (if this in-play card would be outside the battlefield, it is returned to the battlefield tapped)
2/0
WHY WON'T IT DIEEEEEEEE!

Challenge: Make something else based off of homebrew on this site.

Jormengand
2015-01-22, 05:58 PM
The Teramach RRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Legendary artifact enchanment creature - Human fighter warrior mage cleric MR
The Teramach can kill Amkii.
100/100

*Ahem*, that aside, is quite fun. :smallbiggrin:

Spellslinger 3UR
Creature - Human archer wizard R
When you cast an instant or sorcery spell, draw a card and deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
3/3

Next: Same again.

1pwny
2015-01-22, 06:12 PM
You know, the Teramach would kill Amkii, but then Resurection would activate, and... let's not get into this discussion again.

The Monk - 2
Planeswalker - Monk U
+1: Deal 1 damage to target creature that has toughness less than 2
+1: The Monk becomes a 1/3 creature with Vigilance until end of turn.
-5: Flip the Monk.

The Monk (fixed)
Planeswalker - "Monk" C
+1: Search your library for a Planeswalker besides The Monk, reveal it, put it into your hand, and shuffle your library. Send this card to the graveyard.
Its not a Monk anymore.

Challenge: More of the same!

Jormengand
2015-01-22, 07:11 PM
I love it!

The DM 3BR
Legendary Creature - Human Gamer MR
When you cast The DM, put a 4/4 red dragon creature token with flying and a dungeon land token with "T: Add B to your mana pool" onto the battlefield under your control.
"Roll initiative!"
- Every DM ever.

Next: Create a really specific spell.

r2d2go
2015-01-22, 07:41 PM
I love it!

The DM 3BR
Legendary Creature - Human Gamer MR
When you cast The DM, put a 4/4 red dragon creature token with flying and a dungeon land token with "T: Add B to your mana pool" onto the battlefield under your control.
"Roll initiative!"
- Every DM ever.

Next: Create a really specific spell.

Hm... Seems more rare than MR. It lacks the awe-inducing, complex effect as well as the raw power of a mythic. Still, pretty cool :smalltongue:

End-Snap Weird 3RUG
Creature - Weird MR
Trample, Haste, Hexproof
As an additional cost to cast ~, exile two blue instants you control, two red weirds you control, and two forests you control.
T - You may play a copy of a card exiled with ~ without paying its mana cost.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery that does not share a name with a card exiled with ~, untap ~.
7/7

Challenge: weird :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2015-01-22, 08:00 PM
End-Snap Weird 3RUG
Creature - Weird MR
Trample, Haste, Hexproof
As an additional cost to cast ~, exile two blue instants you control, two red weirds you control, and two forests you control.
T - You may play a copy of a card exiled with ~ without paying its mana cost.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery that does not share a name with a card exiled with ~, untap ~.
7/7

Interesting but the game doesn't do playing copies of permanents (now put a token into play which is a copy) and you don't technically cast the copies anyway.

Challenge: weird :smalltongue:

Electrice Spellmirror 2UU
Creature - Weird R
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery you may untap ~ and you may choose new targets for target spell targeting ~
3/3

Challenge: Goblin!

r2d2go
2015-01-22, 08:15 PM
Interesting... You can potentially spellskite away removal and the like, which is always nice. Unfortunately, though, the body isn't big enough to do much. This would be a lot better with some form of evasion, or a buff effect from instants or sorceries, even on a smaller body or higher cost.

Goblin Fusemaster 2RR
Creature - Goblin R
Haste
T, Sacrifice an untapped Goblin: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
Tap another Goblin: Untap Goblin Fusemaster.
1/1

Challenge: Elemental!

Jormengand
2015-01-22, 08:22 PM
"Operation Sneak 13 Other Goblins Onto The Field is go, I repeat, Operation Sneak 13 Other Goblins Onto The Field is go!"

Titanium elemental 5
Creature - Elemental U
Indestructible, trample.
4/4

Next: Something else... simple.

1pwny
2015-01-22, 08:36 PM
Should be Darksteel. Because, as everyone knows, Colorless + Artifact + Indestructible = Darksteel.

Lightning Incarnation - 4R
Creature - Incarnation C
Haste, Trample
5/1
It runs right through you, like a bolt of lightning

Challenge: A Planeswalker with a new kind of ability.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-22, 11:50 PM
Yeah, that seems about right. It's close to being a functional reprint of the other lightning elementals, but that's to be expected; commons like these need to lean mostly on their flavor and their surroundings. The flavor here is pretty generic, but it's hard to fault you for that.

Bob the Zealot W
Planeswalker - Bob R (Also given out as a promo card with certain seeded packs.)
+1: You gain a loyalty counter. (When a cost would require you to remove counters from a permanent you control, you may remove that many loyalty counters from yourself instead.)
+0: Creatures can't attack you until your next turn. (They can still attack planeswalkers you control.)

Challenge! Make a nonplaneswalker card that either refers to planeswalkers in its rules text or refers to a specific planeswalker in its name or flavor text.

Zaydos
2015-01-22, 11:59 PM
Bob the Zealot W
Planeswalker - Bob R (Also given out as a promo card with certain seeded packs.)
+1: You gain a loyalty counter. (When a cost would require you to remove counters from a permanent you control, you may remove that many loyalty counters from yourself instead.)
+0: Creatures can't attack you until your next turn. (They can still attack planeswalkers you control.)

I'm not sure I like it as a card, but it's functional just not my kind of thing I guess.

Challenge! Make a nonplaneswalker card that either refers to planeswalkers in its rules text or refers to a specific planeswalker in its name or flavor text.

Azron the Betrayed 2B
Legendary Creature - Zombie Wizard R
When ~ enters the battlefield remove 2 loyalty counters from each planeswalker and each player loses 2 life.
When ~ is put into exile from any zone remove 2 loyalty counters from each planeswalker and each player loses 2 life.
2/4
Bind me as you like, I will have my vengeance against you and yours

Challenge: Something to sum up the feel of a Return to Kamigawa set.

mystic1110
2015-01-23, 09:17 AM
I personally feel that if any card is going to interact with Loyalty counters - that that would be that card's sole function - it's too unique to hide it alongside useful life loss. Not saying that your card is bad, on the contrary, just on a design standpoint I think loyalty counters should stand out.

Return to Kamigawa. . . . hmmm I would think working with spirits would be a thing.

Earth Freed Warrior 1W
Creature - Human Soldier C
Yin-Yang - If the amount of spirit creatures and non-spirit creatures you control are equal, ~ has +1/+1 and flying.
"Without War We Use
Winds Like Galloping Horses
Soaring Together" - Post War Haiku
2/2

Make a Nightmare (torment not the horse)

Ninjaman
2015-01-23, 10:54 AM
Not liking the ying-yang mechanic. It's seems way to difficult to enable, and really, really awkward if your opponent has a removal spell. Powerlevel wise the card is fine.

Breaking dreams - 2B
Sorcery - U
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose up to two noncreature nonland cards with converted mana cost 2 or less from it. That player discards those cards.

Make another hand distruption spell.

mystic1110
2015-01-23, 12:13 PM
Ouch - that would be a great card in legacy - target discard for two cards?! I like it.

Not Meant To Know B
Sorcery C
Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a card from it with converted mana cost 4 or more. That player discards that card.

Create a card with the P/T of 2/6

Ninjaman
2015-01-23, 01:35 PM
Worse appetite for brains, but at common instead of uncommon. I prefer appetite as it is better in constructed and this would be really disgusting in limited.

Rhox Shieldchief - 3W
Creature - Rhino Soldier - C
Rhox shieldchief can block an additional creature.
2/6

Create a common removal spell.

r2d2go
2015-01-23, 01:51 PM
Seems pretty strong for a common. The stats are on-curve and well distributed for a defensive creature, and the mana cost has no heavy weight. This on top of a very significant additional ability makes me think this should be an uncommon, despite simplicity - that or a higher cost/heavier color weight.

Siphon Soul 3BB
Sorcery - C
Destroy target creature. You gain life equal to its toughness.

Challenge: Something fast.

Zaydos
2015-01-23, 01:59 PM
Siphon Soul 3BB
Sorcery - C
Destroy target creature. You gain life equal to its toughness.

Underpriced. Three versions of this effect exist at Common for 3BB all have an additional requirement. Either the life gain is conditional on targeting a human (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262854) or winning a clash (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=145991) or it only affects nonblack creatures (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=45317).

Challenge: Something fast.

Viashino Arc-Blade 2RR
a viashino with a lightning sword
Creature - Viashino U
Double-strike, Haste
2/2
They told me lightning never strikes the same place twice. I shouldn't have listened.

Challenge: Create an uncommon skeleton with regeneration, undying, persist, unearth, or a means of coming back from the graveyard.

mystic1110
2015-01-23, 03:03 PM
Good uncommon is good.

Lim-Dl's Supreme Guard BBB
Creature - Skeleton U
First Strike
B: Regenerate Lim-Dl's Supreme Guard
3/1

Create a non-green card based on Eladamri

Ninjaman
2015-01-23, 04:22 PM
I dislike the tripple black on an uncommon. Also regeneration is a bit awkward on a first strike creature.

I cheated a bit:

Eladamri's Staff - 3
Artifact - Equipment - R
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, add GG to your mana pool.
Equiped creature has shroud.
Equip - GG

Make a red artifact.

mystic1110
2015-01-23, 05:28 PM
I would have liked it to say: on each of your main phases - as a way of teaching people about mana and phases. But it's good as is.

Trash and Treasure 2R
Artifact R
Sacrifice ~: If you do, return target artifact card not named Trash and Treasure from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Create a green artifact.

Zaydos
2015-01-23, 05:34 PM
Trash and Treasure 2R
Artifact R
Sacrifice ~: If you do, return target artifact card not named Trash and Treasure from your graveyard to the battlefield.

I'd put it at Uncommon not Rare. Seems fairly priced, even if Mirrodin blocks have had better.

Create a green artifact.

Everroot Staff 2G
Artifact U
T: Add GG to your mana pool.

(similar to Overgrowth at 2G and but artifact synergy which justifies a rarity hike at least).

Challenge: White Enchantment.

thatonesungod
2015-01-23, 05:38 PM
Seems fine, i want some for my flash/flicker deck

Faith's Wings 3W
Enchantment-Aura U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and flying
Totem armor

make a sword

mystic1110
2015-01-23, 05:56 PM
I don't think this is that strong for any format - but then again, MTG needs cards like these. Anyway.

Sword of Myth and Fantasy 3
Artifact Enchantment - Equipment
Equipped creature has protection from Planeswalkers, Creatures, Instants, and Sorceries.
Equipped creature has +2/+2
Equip 2

Create a Nephalim planeswalker

1pwny
2015-01-23, 05:58 PM
Seems a little under-powered. Look at Hyena Umbra for reference. CMC of 1, Totem Armor, +1/+1 and First Strike.

Sword of Order and Chaos - 3
Artifact - Equipment MR
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and Protection from Purple and White.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may exile a creature with CMC 3 or less that they control, and return to play (from exile) a creature with CMC 3 or less under your control.

Challenge: More swords!

r2d2go
2015-01-23, 06:44 PM
Woooah. This is... pretty insane. This is basically Unblockable, Hexproof, and extra defensive capabilities all in one - so Whispersilk Cloak++, and then a free +2/+2. This might be better than all the other Swords out there, for placement on already strong creatures.

Kantor, of Crashing Mind UBRG
Planeswalker - Kantor
+1 - Flip three coins. For each heads, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. For each tails, deal 1 damage to target creature.
-3 - Each creature attacks and blocks this turn if able. Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
-6 - Draw a card for each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter. Discard half that many cards, rounded down, and deal 2 damage to target creature for each card you discard.

Challenge: Make something blue.

Zaydos
2015-01-23, 06:55 PM
Kantor, of Crashing Mind UBRG
Planeswalker - Kantor
+1 - Flip three coins. For each heads, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. For each tails, deal 1 damage to target creature.
-3 - Each creature attacks and blocks this turn if able. Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
-6 - Draw a card for each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter. Discard half that many cards, rounded down, and deal 2 damage to target creature for each card you discard.

Feels more GR than anything maybe GRU. You can force enemies to make disadvantageous blocks with the -3 but for 4 mana it's not too crazy (Ajani has put 1 on all for -1). The +1 is arguably better and worse than Theros Ajani's but random enough it's probably worse. The -6 is reasonable, but could probably pass being -5 or even -4. Still doesn't feel Black or !White.

Challenge: Make something blue.

Dreamwhale 3UU
Creature - Whale U
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield draw 2 cards.
3/3

Challenge: Make something Red.

r2d2go
2015-01-23, 07:02 PM
Huh. It's not OP, but very efficient - an excellent limited card, at least. Even just comparing mana, a Divination for 2U leaves this at 1U for a 3/3 flyer. Once you consider that you're getting both on one card, and thus getting a further card up... Compare to Mulldrifter, which is only a 2/2, but has less color weight and the option to Evoke.

Flame Strider 2R
Creature - Human Shaman U
Whenever an opponent is dealt noncombat damage, ~ gets Unblockable until end of turn.
R - ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
1/1

Challenge: Make something green.

Jormengand
2015-01-23, 08:18 PM
Huh. Seems okay.

Champion of the Common Man PG
Creature - Human R
Paragon - if ~ has the highest power among creatures you control, it gets trample and first strike.
0/2

Next: Make something colourless.

Zaydos
2015-01-23, 08:34 PM
Champion of the Common Man PG
Creature - Human R
Paragon - if ~ has the highest power among creatures you control, it gets trample and first strike.
0/2

I guess First Strike is Purple now? Honestly I'd go with a 1/2 for 1 over this, or possibly even one of the gimmicky 1/1 trample creatures you see in Green (by the time you're enchanting it to make it worth using you could give it First Strike with say Ethereal Armor). You could probably have made it cost (P/G) instead of PG, it'd still be niche but have a place in the right deck then.

Next: Make something colourless.

Watch Menhir 2
Artifact - Fortification
Whenever the fortified land is tapped for mana target creature which shares a color with the mana produced by the land gains +2/+2 and Vigilance until end of turn.
Fortify 2

Challenge: Delve.

r2d2go
2015-01-23, 10:37 PM
Zaydos, I gotta bring up an ongoing problem here. Your cards would be a bit more readable with commas :smalltongue: I had to read this a couple times to understand, though there's some that have been worse :smallbiggrin:

On to the actual card - it's pretty strong. It's a bit like a +2/+2 on your turn, plus vigilance, on an equipment which auto-re-equips until a land is destroyed. You might want to bump the cost up by one.

Grave Delver 5BG
Creature - R
Trample, Delve
5BG, Delve: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield. Each card you exile from your graveyard as you activate this ability pays for 1.
4/4

Challenge: Make something fiery.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-24, 01:18 AM
I don't think there's any precedent for putting delve in an activated ability, but it seems like it's only a matter of time before they do it. It looks kind of wrong, though, like delving is an additional cost somehow. Come to think of it, just phrasing the ability as, "BG, exile five other cards from your graveyard," seems just as interesting. The ability is extraordinarily powerful for what it does either way, so... be careful with that. Also, shouldn't it be a zombie?

Fiery War Axe 1
Artifact - Equipment C
Equipped creature gets +3/+0.
Equip 2

Omnitorch 1RRR
Sorcery - R
Destroy target artifact or land.
Replicate RR (As you cast this spell, you may pay RR any number of times and copy the spell that many times. You may choose different targets for the copies.)

Challenge! Make a golem with one other creature type.

r2d2go
2015-01-24, 03:05 AM
Make Fiery War Axe Uncommon, and have it come in with 2 durability counters, and remove one each time a creature equipped attacks :smalltongue: Then it'd probably be balanced?

Anyway, Omnitorch is probably fine, though it's probably too color weighted - It's hard to use in any deck except mono red, and I'm not sure red wants to spend so much mana destroying lands. It's definitely part of the red color pie, but this seems more like something that you'd play in a control/mana-denial strategy. I guess you could use ramp to do something like Dragonstorm and get rid of all your opponent's land... but then, couldn't you just use Dragonstorm? If it were 4R and 1R, you could use it in a multicolored deck - not sure if that'd be an improvement, but it could happen.

Compound Golem 5
Artifact Creature - Golem Chimera
1: Exile an artifact creature you control and attach it to ~. ~ gets +1/+1 for each creature attached to it and has all card text of creatures exiled with it.
4/4

Challenge: Make something big.

Jormengand
2015-01-24, 10:14 AM
I feel that it may be really brokenly powerful with the right stuff attached. Then again, it's probably hard enough to do that you're fine.

Lord of the Six 1
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard MR
As an additional cost to cast Lord of the Six, sacrifice an untapped plains you control, an untapped island you control, an untapped city you control, an untapped swamp you control, an untapped mountain you control and an untapped forest you control.
Lord of the Six can't be countered.
Lord of the Six is all colours, and purple.
Creatures you control have lifelink, hexproof, judgement (When a creature they're fighting, blocking or blocked by dies, exile it), deathtouch, haste and trample.
6/6

Next: Make something else with an additional cost.

Zaydos
2015-01-24, 01:20 PM
Lord of the Six 1
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard MR
As an additional cost to cast Lord of the Six, sacrifice an untapped plains you control, an untapped island you control, an untapped city you control, an untapped swamp you control, an untapped mountain you control and an untapped forest you control.
Lord of the Six can't be countered.
Lord of the Six is all colours, and purple.
Creatures you control have lifelink, hexproof, judgement (When a creature they're fighting, blocking or blocked by dies, exile it), deathtouch, haste and trample.
6/6

Even with the additional cost that is far too powerful an anthem effect. Especially since you can reanimate it (seriously there's a reason cards with these Super+ level abilities shuffle back into your deck), cheat it in with Quicksilver Talisman, and the like still.

Next: Make something else with an additional cost.

Sparkborn Destroyer (U/G)B
Creature - Horror R
As an additional cost to cast ~ sacrifice a planeswalker.
~ enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the loyalty counters that were on the sacrificed planeswalker.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player or a planeswalker they control that player discards a card at random.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player or a planeswalker you may draw that many cards.
2/2

Challenge: Victor von Doom.

mystic1110
2015-01-24, 02:28 PM
Should also probably be mythic since all planeswalkers are.

Victor Von Doom 3BU
Legendary creature - Human Artificer Wizard M
If ~ would leave play due to a source an opponent controls you may search your library for an artifact creature and place it into your graveyard instead then shuffle your library. If you can't sacrifice Victor Von Doom.
Whenever you cast an instant you may search your library for an artifact card and reveal that card. Shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.
Whenever you cast an artifact you may search your library for an instant card and reveal that card. Shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.
Always a Doombot
3/3

Create a red and white rare instant with a cmc 2 or less

r2d2go
2015-01-24, 02:40 PM
"Leave play" means exiled - you want "Leave the battlefield" or "Exiled" (depending on if you want him to be psuedo-invincible, or just resistant to exile). The next two abilities are interesting but not too OP given that they don't draw you cards, so that's fine. 3/3 psuedo-invincible for 5 with deck fixing might not be worth Mythic?

Righteous Charge WR
Instant - R
Radiance: Target creature and each creature that shares a color with it gets +1/+0, First Strike and Haste until end of turn.

Challenge: Make something with randomness.

Jormengand
2015-01-24, 02:45 PM
Reeeeeealllly complicated and almost immortal, but otherwise okay I guess.

Transfer shield WR
Instant - R
Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn, and deal any damage prevented this way to another target creature.

Huh. Sure, I guess?

Psychic Hammer 2UR
Sorcery - U
Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a non-land card. Put that card into your hand, deal damage to target creature or player equal to its converted mana cost to target creature or player, and shuffle your library.

Next: Something that's two antithetical colours (WB, UR or PG).

Ionbound
2015-01-24, 07:55 PM
Wow. Just...Wow. Have you seen the Jeleva/Narset decks that run nothing but really expensive spells and some ramp artifacts? Imaging getting Omniscience or Enter the Infinite with that thing. So, so much damage, and a draw, for only four? Seems pretty undercosted to me. Definitely don't think it's an uncommon either.

Sword of Greed and Charity-3

Artifact-Equipment-MR

Equipped Creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from Black and White

Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, they reveal their hand. Choose one card in their hand and place it onto the battlefield under your control.

Challenge: Create a Vampire

Jormengand
2015-01-24, 08:05 PM
You would have to screw with top-of-library tutors to make that actually likely to work, and that's not easy to do.

Well, it's not actually any colours, and it can yoik an eldrazi you don't own onto the battlefield if you can cheat it onto a creature some way because you can never actually equip it.

Apart from that, it's fine.

Nightrider WBG
Creature - Vampire horseman U
Lifelink, deathtouch, trample
2/2

Next: Something legendary which isn't a creature or a land.

1pwny
2015-01-24, 08:09 PM
There's already a sword of Light and Shadow, though... I mean, its a good card, a tad overpowered, and basically another sword.

Vampire Dayhawk - 1WB
Creature - Vampire U
Flying
First Strike
Lifelink
2/3
It gives up lethality for speed.

Challenge: Another similar/parody/changed card, like this one.

Seems more WBR then WBG.

Yata Mirror - 4
Legendary Artifact - Equipment MR
Put two -1/-1 counters on equipped creature: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you or equipped creature from a single attack/effect.
Equip 6

Challenge: Make a legendary sword. (Like, not a sword of _____ and _____, instead like the Kusanagi no Tsuruki or the Sakegari no Tachi)

Jormengand
2015-01-24, 08:26 PM
Apart from the shoddy wording, it's fine. Basically 4 to get 6: kill target creature and prevent tons of damage to you, which isn't too much for a 4+6 drop.

Kusenagi No Tsurugi 4
Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets +4/+0
When equipped creature is fighting, blocking or blocked by a green creature, it gets deathtouch.
Equip 2

Next: Create more specific colour hate.

Zaydos
2015-01-24, 08:33 PM
Kusenagi No Tsurugi 4
Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets +4/+0
When equipped creature is fighting, blocking or blocked by a green creature, it gets deathtouch.
Equip 2

Functional, pushes Green decks in the meta to run some artifact removal in their side boards, but Green can handle that better than most other colors.

Next: Create more specific colour hate.

Gaea's Oracle GG
Creature - Elf Druid R
Blue spells cannot be played except during their owner's main phases.
2/2

Challenge: Blue elf.

r2d2go
2015-01-24, 08:36 PM
That's some potent hate. I'd say you could run that in many types of of decks as sideboard - anything with significant green, really. Might deserve a debuff, maybe 2G? Actually, that just makes it more splashable... Hm. Not sure, but I think this is a little too strong of a sideboard.

Researching Biomancer 1UG
Creature - Elf Wizard U
Whenever a Forest enters the battlefield, you may put a +1/+1 on target creature.
Whenever a Island enters the battlefield, you may remove a +1/+1 counter from target creature you control. If you do, draw a card.
2/2

Challenge: Make something two-colored.

thatonesungod
2015-01-24, 09:02 PM
seems fine, i guess, i wouldnt really want to play it :)(

True Crimson Dawn 1WR
Instant U
prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn
gain life equal to the damage prevented this way
No blade shall draw blood under the crimson dawn

make something representing something from space

1pwny
2015-01-24, 09:11 PM
Nice! Can be pretty devastating in the right deck. Not sure why its red because prevent damage/gain life are both White, but the two-colored just seems right for some reason. Maybe GW instead?

Wheatly - 3
Legendary Artifact Creature - Robot R
1T: Deal 1 damage to each other creature you control, and 2 to every creature you don't control.
0/1
His bad plans are bad for everyone, friend and foe.

Challenge: Something else from space!

Jormengand
2015-01-25, 06:26 AM
Run in almost-creatureless burn or against white weenies while toting big enough creatures to tank it = win.

Deep Strike 3RR
Sorcery - R
Put each creature you own in exile with time counters on it onto the battlefield under your control. It gains haste until end of turn.

Next: This one's kinda hard, but create a card which:

- Is monocoloured, and
- Requires you to play in two colours to be effective, and
- Doesn't mention that colour or its basic land.

If red cards didn't have suspend, for example, Deep Strike would be an example.

If you don't like that challenge, make an idol (Colourless artifact - idol with "CCT: Energise all idols you control" and "When you energise ~...")

Gandariel
2015-01-25, 10:55 AM
Deep Strike 3RR
Sorcery - R
Put each creature you own in exile with time counters on it onto the battlefield under your control. It gains haste until end of turn.

Next: This one's kinda hard, but create a card which:

- Is monocoloured, and
- Requires you to play in two colours to be effective, and
- Doesn't mention that colour or its basic land.

If red cards didn't have suspend, for example, Deep Strike would be an example.

it's good, I'd say. Hard to make it op, could be fun.

Life Sapper 3B
Creature - Human priest R
Whenever a spell you control deals damage to your opponent, gain that much life.
Lifelink.
3/2

I figure there's not much black burn.

Next, make a creature that looks weak at first sight, but is actually really strong.

Jormengand
2015-01-25, 11:22 AM
Whee~. Looks fun to play. Perhaps not eminently useful, but it could be.

Otherworld Overgrowth 1PG
Creature - Plant R
Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature dies, exile it)
During your upkeep, put a token that's a copy of Otherworld Overgrowth onto the battlefield under your control.
If you see one, kill it. If you see two, run. If you see four, pray that the Otherworld is a nice place to live.
1/1

Next: Use Storm (Usually but not always U/R, copies for each spell played before it) or Second Wind (P/R, extra effect if you played another spell this turn.)

r2d2go
2015-01-25, 12:16 PM
The only problem is that, as the flavor alludes to, this will exponentially grow. If your opponent doesn't have an immediate answer or a board wipe, there's very little chance they can clear the plants. Add an anthem buff and you could be swinging for lethal with nothing but this and an Overrun by turn 6, leaving the rest of your mana for control and defense. I'd make it cost one or two more.

Crackle-Blast 3UR
Sorcery - R
Deal X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of times ~ has resolved this turn.
~ cannot target a creature or player that has been dealt damage by ~ this turn.
Storm

Challenge: Make a tribal card.

Jormengand
2015-01-25, 12:34 PM
Ehh. It's not actually that great unless you can get tons of spells off and your opponent has manymuchcreatures.

Icon Walker 6
Artifact - Idol R
As Icon Walker enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
GGT: Energise each idol you control.
When you energise Icon Walker, put a charge counter on it.
Creatures of the chosen type you control get +1/+1 for each charge counter on Icon Walker.

Yay anthems.

Next: An unconventional anthem.

Eldan
2015-01-25, 02:18 PM
Seems about right? Perhaps even a bit expensive? I figure to make it effective, you want a lot of creatures to pump, but also a lot of icons, which might be hard to achieve together.

Reign of Blood 2BB

Enchantment (R)

Vampires you control gain +1/+1 for each non-vampire creature you control.
Non-vampire creatures you control gain -1/-1

Challenge: a creature that helps a certain creature type without being that type.

Zaydos
2015-01-25, 02:26 PM
Reign of Blood 2BB

Enchantment (R)

Vampires you control gain +1/+1 for each non-vampire creature you control.
Non-vampire creatures you control gain -1/-1

Interesting. I don't know about the balance, but it's not obviously broken, and encourages some interesting decks. Might be on the weak side, but I think that's about the mana cost you'd need and it feels like a rare.

Challenge: a creature that helps a certain creature type without being that type.

Zombie Familiar 2B
Creature - Zombie U
Wizard spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
Sacrifice ~: Regenerate target wizard.
2/2

Challenge: I liked that one. Repeat it! A creature that helps a certain creature type without being that type.

Ninjaman
2015-01-25, 02:52 PM
I like it. Simple and balanced.

Seer's Owl - W
Creature - Bird - C
Flying
Whenver you cast a wizard spell, scry 1
0/1

Make someting red and green.

Eldan
2015-01-25, 03:09 PM
Seems about right costwise, but I'm not sure why it would be white, given the number of birds blue already has and the very blue ability and synergy.

Bloodtrance Seer 1RG

Creature - Barbarian Shaman

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature or player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land, put it into play under your control tapped.

2/2

Challenge: a colour combination I think we haven't seen in a while: black-red.

Zaydos
2015-01-25, 04:12 PM
Bloodtrance Seer 1RG

Creature - Barbarian Shaman

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature or player, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land, put it into play under your control tapped.

2/2

I'd either make it reveal cards till you reveal a (basic) land put the rest on the bottom of your library (making it a worse Avenging Druid), or make it a 2 drop.

Challenge: a colour combination I think we haven't seen in a while: black-red.

Hellstorm Elemental 2RB
Creature - Demon Elemental R
Haste, Trample
Hellbent - If you have no cards in your hand you may pay 2RB and sacrifice ~ to search your library for a creature with a converted mana cost of 4 and put it onto the battlefield. Activate this ability only whenever you could activate a sorcery.
5/1

Challenge: Non-Black, non-Blue transmute.

Jormengand
2015-01-25, 04:16 PM
Huh. Is weird, but functional I guess.

Blank Page
Sorcery - R
Transmute 1
Sometimes, you just need a blank page to work with.

Next: Something which only does something with an effect like cycling, transmute or second wind.

1pwny
2015-01-25, 05:46 PM
Seems legit. I wouldn't play it though; its mostly designed for turn one, and on turn one you have to pay the transmute and the card's cost.

Mordekainen's Old Spellbook - X
Artifact - Spellbook R
~ comes into play with X charge counters on it.
Remove a counter from ~: target card in your hand gains Cycling 1 until end of turn.
Its taken some getting used to, and even then I still don't know what I'm going to get.

Challenge: Something Green-Black, with any other colors you feel it may need.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-25, 06:02 PM
(We really need to start using reminder text more often... the Blank Page will only ever get 0-mana cards, but I imagine it has a lot of combo-enabling potential just the same. It'll probably be subject to the same bans and restrictions as the Black Lotus it'll no doubt be searching for.)

Anyway, spellbook! It actually seems pretty entertaining; the player has to think hard about how much mana to put into the initial investment before they start cycling cards. It is a little confusing, though; how does your opponent know which card you targeted? Why not simply give it, "1, discard a card from your hand: draw a card?" I guess it could support a set's cycling theme this way, especially if Spellbooks are also a thing in the set... I feel like I need some more context before I'm convinced, though.

Grack 2(g/b)
It appears to be a snake with a beak and a few oil-soaked feathers. You'd think it's a mutant, but it's just part of the local wildlife, really.
Creature - Bird Snake C
Reach, Swampwalk
2/2

Challenge! Make another card that sounds like a combination of two colors.

Zaydos
2015-01-25, 06:07 PM
Mordekainen's Old Spellbook - X
Artifact - Spellbook R
~ comes into play with X charge counters on it.
Remove a counter from ~: target card in your hand gains Cycling 1 until end of turn.
Its taken some getting used to, and even then I still don't know what I'm going to get.

Feels a bit forced since it would be simpler to give it "1, Remove a counter from ~, discard a card: Draw a card" This would need reminder text for what cycling is and introduces a term that is mostly unnecessary. I say mostly because there are cards like the Gempalm cycle and the sojourners from Alara. So it works and its complexity makes it a rare, and it will have its niche (mostly in a combo with something that triggers whenever you draw like Jace's Erasure, Lorescale Coatl, or old Niv-Mizzet. Honestly, though, I'd give it a fixed price and a fixed number of charge counters higher than its cost (like 3 for 5, or 2 for 4).

Challenge: Something Green-Black, with any other colors you feel it may need.

Necromancer's Widow 2GB
Creature - Spider R
Deathtouch, Reach
Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies you may put a creature card with a converted mana cost of 3 or less in your graveyard into your hand.
2/4

Grack 2(g/b)
It appears to be a snake with a beak and a few oil-soaked feathers. You'd think it's a mutant, but it's just part of the local wildlife, really.
Creature - Bird Snake C
Reach, Swampwalk
2/2

Pfffffff :smallbiggrin: Functional common. And lol-tastic.

Challenge! Make another card that sounds like a combination of two colors.

Right 1RW
Instant U
Until end of turn creatures you control are indestructible, and whenever a creature you do not control deals damage to a creature you control Right deals 1 damage to that creature.

(wording might be off)

Challenge: Green, Red, or White card with Transmute.

1pwny
2015-01-25, 08:30 PM
Right + Palace Guard = minion wipe. Meh. Pyroclasm works too.

Philosopher's Stone - 2RRW
Legendary Artifact - Stone MR
All cards in your hand gain Transmute equal to their mana cost.
1RW, discard ~: search your library for a card, put it into your hand, and shuffle your library.
The ultimate goal of transmutation.

Challenge: Big creature hate.

Jormengand
2015-01-25, 08:40 PM
Huh. Nice, I guess. Doesn't seem too powerful, but could be funny.

Kingdom of Ends
Legendary Land - R
Kingdom of Ends enters the battlefield tapped. When it does, pay W, P or R or sacrifice it.
Deny Creatures (Counter each creature unless its controller pays 1)
Accelerate non-creature spells (Non-creature spells cost 1 less to cast)
T: Add W, P or R to your mana pool.

Next: Create something else which is a joke about philosophy.

r2d2go
2015-01-25, 08:42 PM
Double ninja :smalleek: one moment...

thatonesungod
2015-01-25, 08:43 PM
the discard abillity doesnt actually work because you cant use tht abillity while its in your hand without a specific clause

Trial of Dissmissal 5PP
Legendary Enchantment MR
When Trial of Dissmissal enters the battlefield put 6 3/3 beast creature tokens onto the battlefield under an opponents control
P, Tap a purple creature: exile target creature
whenever a creature is put into exile from the battlefield, choose one
-put a 2/2 purgator creature token with judgement onto the battlefield under your control
-draw a card
-put a charge counter on trial of dissmisal
Remove 7 charge counters from trial of dissmisal and sacrefice it: put a legendary purple 5/5 creature token called Yona, the gate onto the battlefield under your control with =>: exile target creature and Deny Creatures

hows that

challenge: make a starchild

Jormengand
2015-01-25, 08:48 PM
Philo stone itself isn't meant to work from your hand. Anyway, once the ninja-ing is done, you never specify the colour of the tokens, and you can tap purple creatures you don't control for the effect to work so if you can pay PPPPPPP next turn and have a single purple creature of your own you get... Uhm, Yona, which isn't great.

Soraka, the Star Child 3WW
Planeswalker - Soraka MR
+2: You gain 5 life.
-4: Add WW to your mana pool.
-6: You get an emblem with W: prevent the net 1 damage that would be dealt to each creature you control this turn.

Next: Planeswalker!

r2d2go
2015-01-25, 08:54 PM
After a double ninja, then getting double ninja'd again as my notice of being ninja'd is ignored, I have decided to spend a moment catching up. Please continue :smalltongue:

CantigThimble
2015-01-25, 09:11 PM
I don't like it, planeswalker abilities should have at least have some offensive impact, the -4 just isn't pie appropriate. The ult is fine though.

Kaladin Stormblessed 2WW
Planeswalker - Kaladin M
+1 ~ becomes a 3/3 creature with flying, vigilance and hexproof until the start of your next turn.
-1 Put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to two creatures you control. They gain vigilance until end of turn.
-5 You get an emblem with 'Creatures you control have flying, vigilance and get +1/+1'

The only reason it gains hexproof is to be immune to doom blade without being indestructible.

Make a card from the shard of esper. (White blue and/or black, usually related to artifacts or control)

r2d2go
2015-01-25, 09:48 PM
The +1 is pretty insane - It's flying, so there's a good chance its 3 free damage, and the Hexproof means your opponent will have a hard time removing it if you don't block. The vigilance then allows you to block smaller things, or even big guys in an emergency. Basically, is a 3/3 flying, vigilance, hexproof worth 4? Yes. Add on the other abilities and you've got a very powerful planeswalker. Dropping Hexproof would make it more balanced - Yes, Doom Blade trades up, but it also trades up against Baneslayer and a host of bigger drops.

Esper Bladeskite 2U
Artifact Creature - Horror R
(W/P) - Target creature must block Bladeskite this turn.
(B/P) - Target creature must attack this turn, and Bladeskite and no other creatures must block it this turn.
0/4

Note that /P is Phyrexian mana, not purple (one of the problems with having purple mana :smalltongue:)

Challenge: Make something else that's based on an existing card.

Jormengand
2015-01-25, 10:04 PM
Clearly, purple needs to be E as that's the only colour that's not taken. :smalltongue:

Anyway, interesting but largely inconsequential; s'all right.

Transdimensional Lightning Bolt RRR
Instant - R (Un)
Transdimensional Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player in a game you can see from your seat.
God damn it man, I was about to win!

Next: More un-cards! :smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2015-01-25, 10:08 PM
Transdimensional Lightning Bolt RRR
Instant - R (Un)
Transdimensional Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player in a game you can see from your seat.
God damn it man, I was about to win!

Very niche to a tournament situation but I can see using it to humorous effect, though usually it'll be a dead card. Still sideboard it for if you're tied for first.

Next: More un-cards! :smallbiggrin:

Double Team 2GG
Instant
Choose another player. Put a 2/2 green Wolf token onto the battlefield under your control. At the beginning of the next game with that player, put a 2/2 green Wolf token onto the battlefield under your control.

Challenge: Black Bloodrush.

r2d2go
2015-01-25, 10:21 PM
Interesting, but largely meh :smalltongue: not much to say, you get two wolf-bears.

Rakdos Bloodweaver 1RB
Creature - Human Shaman U
Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Rakdos Bloodweaver, and it gains Persist until end of turn.
Bloodrush RB: Target attacking creature gets +2/+2, Persist, and "Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature" until end of turn.
2/2

Challenge: Make something that interacts with counters. Actually, or a wolf-bear. Or both, for bonus points :smalltongue:

Eldan
2015-01-26, 03:48 AM
That's actually pretty damn good in the right deck. Especially in black, where you can get plenty of effects that trigger off creatures coming into play. I'd say even just +2/+2 for two, repeatable, is quite nice. So, could probably stand to be more expensive, or to maybe tap to use that ability.

Okay. So this is a wolf, but not a bear. But it interacts with counters.

Spreading Pack 2G

Creature - Wolf (U)

Evolve
Remove two +1/+1 counters from Spreading Pack: put a 2/2 green wolf creature token into play under your control.

They thrive on danger.

2/2

Challenge: I like evolve. Make something fun with evolve.

Zaydos
2015-01-26, 04:39 AM
That's actually pretty damn good in the right deck. Especially in black, where you can get plenty of effects that trigger off creatures coming into play. I'd say even just +2/+2 for two, repeatable, is quite nice. So, could probably stand to be more expensive, or to maybe tap to use that ability.

I think the card was supposed to require discarding it to activate the bloodrush ability like every other bloodrush ability... though it didn't actually say.

Okay. So this is a wolf, but not a bear. But it interacts with counters.

Spreading Pack 2G

Creature - Wolf (U)

Evolve
Remove two +1/+1 counters from Spreading Pack: put a 2/2 green wolf creature token into play under your control.

They thrive on danger.

2/2

It's Simic wolf it could have also been a bear :smalltongue: More seriously it works well with other Simic cards, Renegade Krasis coming to mind as does Master Biomancer. Also some good synergy with Cathar's Crusade, and makes me realize the fun that could be had with Cathar's Crusade and Ooze Flux... or Sprout Swarm. Goes infinite with Master Biomancer + Cathar's Crusade but that's fairly hard to do (possible mind) though does need something else to trigger it once you have those three down (assuming play in order of ascending mana cost).

Challenge: I like evolve. Make something fun with evolve.

Zameck Hydropon 1GU
Creature - Plant Mutant U
Evolve
~ can't attack or block.
(G/U), remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
0/5

(obvious inspiration (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=107293))

Challenge: Make a spiritual successor to an old Ravnica card in the style of the guild in R2R (similar to my attempt above).

r2d2go
2015-01-26, 04:42 AM
Ninja'd :smallfrown: one moment...

Hm... the flexibility to pump creatures mid combat pushes this one up, I think. Go to combat and your opponents will have to treat all your creatures as potentially buffed, then spend leftover mana dropping creatures in your second main. Might need something to nerf it? Eh, it's probably fine :smalltongue:

With slight tweaks, this still works! :smallbiggrin: sort of... Ehhh :smalltongue:

Mutant Biomancer 2UG
Creature - Wizard R
When ~ enters the battlefield, each creature with Evolve becomes Mutated.
Mutated creatures you control gain Hexproof.
2/4

Note: Mutate X (cost) = "You may play ~ for (cost) instead of its mana cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters and is Mutated."

Challenge: Something else with Mutate, or your own new keyword.

Ninjaman
2015-01-26, 05:18 AM
Cool card, seems balanced, but should probably be a mythic. Might be cleaner design if it just cared for +1/+1 counters.

Zameck Biotitan - 2GG
Creature - Mutant Insect - M
Mutate 2 (3UGG)
Zameck Biotitan has flying as long as it is mutated.
5/5

Make a demon or devil.

thatonesungod
2015-01-26, 07:33 AM
i mean 4 for a 5/5 is fine 6 for a 7/7 flying is defiantly pushing it

Dreamcrusher Demon 4BB
Enchantment Creature-Demon R
Flying
Constellation-whenever dreamcrusher demon or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control
target player sacrifices an enchantment
5/5

make an angel or an illusion

Eldan
2015-01-26, 07:43 AM
Seems fine, not much to say about it. Though not entirely color appropriate, I'd say.

Vision of Victory 1WU

Creature - Angel Illusion

Indestructible

Creatures you control have +1/+1 and vigilance.

~ can not attack or block.

0/1

We had angels and demons, so now it's time for dragons. Make a dragon that is red and another color, but not black. Too many red-black dragons out there.

Ionbound
2015-01-26, 09:15 AM
Huh. So basically an Anthem enchantment that's vulnerable to certain forms of creature removal rather than Naturalizes...Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Scion of Niv-Mizzet-2UR

Creature-Human Dragon Wizard-R

Whenever a Sorcery or Instant you control deals damage to a player, draw a card.

2/2

Challenge: Create another Human Dragon.

Eldan
2015-01-26, 11:20 AM
Pretty nice, for the cost. Very good in the right deck, I'd assume, with things like storm.

Dragonfire channeler 1R

Creature - Human Dragon Shaman

R: ~ gains +1/+0 until end of turn. At the end of turn, ~ takes 1 damage.

Mortals are too frail to handle my power.

1/1

I like the idea of combining human and monster types. So, how about a human demon.

Zaydos
2015-01-26, 11:38 AM
Dragonfire channeler 1R

Creature - Human Dragon Shaman

R: ~ gains +1/+0 until end of turn. At the end of turn, ~ takes 1 damage.

Mortals are too frail to handle my power.

1/1

Doesn't need to deal damage to itself, compare say Flamekin Brawler (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=139461) or Dragon Hatchling (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370717). Even without the self damage it'd be a relatively weak common, but it would have a place in certain decks.

I like the idea of combining human and monster types. So, how about a human demon.

Cambion Sellsword 2BB
A man with limited demonic traits and a long ritual dagger
Creature - Human Demon Mercenary R
Lifelink
Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, you add BB to your mana pool at the beginning of your next main phase
(2/B)(2/B), pay 5 life: Gain control of ~, unless another player pays (2/B)(2/B) and 5 life. Any player may activate this ability, but only during their own upkeep phase.
5/6

Challenge: Make something sane.

Jormengand
2015-01-26, 11:44 AM
I feel that this could be used for insane mana ramp with fight spells, and I'm not sure that the blockable steal effect makes up for that, especially because its lifelink and crazy-high stats for its cost re-pay the cost for you.

Sanity Guardian GG
Creature - Human Druid U
Protection from purple.
I will not entertain the horrors of the void.
2/3

Next: Something else... simple.

thatonesungod
2015-01-26, 11:53 AM
seems ok, i guess, sideboard tech for a voltron deck against purple at best

Crossbow 3
Artifact-Equipment C
Equip 1
Equipped creature has reach and => deal 1 damage to target creature
its a crossed bow, that you use to shoot things
-natch

make something needlessly overcomplicated

r2d2go
2015-01-26, 12:02 PM
seems ok, i guess, sideboard tech for a voltron deck against purple at best

Crossbow 3
Artifact-Equipment C
Equip 1
Equipped creature has reach and => deal 1 damage to target creature
its a crossed bow, that you use to shoot things
-natch

make something needlessly overcomplicated

Hm. It's alright, I guess - the ping is fine, the bonus reach is fine, I'm not sure they make sense together since you're simulating the crossbow both with a ping and reach, but eh, whatever :smalltongue:

Kol, of Twisted Mind 2RUUG
Planeswalker - Kol M
+2 - Flip two coins. If two heads, deal 2 damage to target creature or player. If two tails, target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Else, draw two cards.
-4 - Deal 2 damage to target creature or player, target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn, and draw 2 cards.
-7 - Transform Kol.

Kol, Volatile
Legendary Creature - Kol M
Trample, Haste, Shroud, Indestructible
Whenever you would flip a coin, instead choose a result and put a +1/+1 counter on Kol. Then, if Kol has 3 or more +1/+1 counters, exile Kol and destroy all creatures. At the beginning of your next upkeep, return him to the battlefield.
4/4

Yeah... That's going to need balancing, but hey, it's overcomplicated :smallbiggrin:

Challenge: Make something not simple, but not needlessly overcomplicated :smalltongue:

mystic1110
2015-01-26, 12:54 PM
:smalleek: I can't judge something like this as it has too many moving parts, but it feels really week just from the first ability and to the ways it uses loyalty counters - Really until you use its first ability twice all you're doing is draw 2 cards maybe - So its really a Draw 4 (maybe) after 2 turns for 6 mana. . . . sure it could do other things, but that's pretty much how it will be used most of the time or allowed to be used by the opponent before he kills it.

Tomb of Ants 1
Artifact
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may have ~ become a 1/1 green ant creature until end of turn.
1: If ~ is a creature, exile target creature from a graveyard, if you do place 2 +1/+1 counters on ~.

Create a Bee

r2d2go
2015-01-26, 01:28 PM
:smalleek: I can't judge something like this as it has too many moving parts, but it feels really week just from the first ability and to the ways it uses loyalty counters - Really until you use its first ability twice all you're doing is draw 2 cards maybe - So its really a Draw 4 (maybe) after 2 turns for 6 mana. . . . sure it could do other things, but that's pretty much how it will be used most of the time or allowed to be used by the opponent before he kills it.

Tomb of Ants 1
Artifact
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may have ~ become a 1/1 green ant creature until end of turn.
1: If ~ is a creature, exile target creature from a graveyard, if you do place 2 +1/+1 counters on ~.

Create a Bee

Oh come on, look at other 6 drop 'walkers. Sorin only gets deal 2 damage, gain 2 life, Chandra is pretty much discard a card, deal 4 damage. Also consider that Kol is meant for a set where RUG is the color of randomness and controlling randomness.

Anyway... tomb of ants is interesting, but it could get pretty insane. This is easily huge - it's like Scavenging Ooze, but colorless, bigger, and less costly, though harder to get out.

Hydra Hornet XGR
Creature - Bee R
~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters.
XGR, T - put X +1/+1 counters on ~.
(G/R), Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~ - Deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
0/0

Challenge: Temur.

1pwny
2015-01-26, 01:42 PM
Mm... no. Let me explicate something to you:

One does not simply make a hydra that lets you put on more +1/+1 counters for mana.

Seriously. Look at all other hydra's as precedents. Especially Feral Hydra.

Izzet's Gift - 2BR
Creature - Ooze R
If ~ would become the target (or part of the target) of a spell or ability, it is not. Instead, if it is untapped tap it.
GG: Put a +1/+1 counter on Izzet's Gift.
Niv-Mizzet, for some reason known only to the Firemind, decided to give the Temur a little creation. We're still trying to do damage control.
- Hishen, Abzan general

Challenge: More Khans of Tarkir tri-color stuff.

thatonesungod
2015-01-26, 01:43 PM
i like hydra hornet but the sac a head deal 1 damage is not very flavorful

temur huh

Flameburst XRR
Instant R
Deal X damage to target creature or player

Ferocious- if you have a creature with power 4 or greater deal X damage to Y target creatures or players, where Y is the number of creatures you have with power greater than 4

make something defencey

Jormengand
2015-01-26, 01:55 PM
Izzet's Gift needs P/T, and flameburst is just odd, but I guess they both work.

Wall of Revelations WPR
Enchantment - U
As Wall of Revelations enters the battlefield, choose a colour. Deny spells of the chosen colour (Counter them unless their controller pays 1)

Next: Something which works best when exiled.

Zaydos
2015-01-26, 01:58 PM
Izzet's Gift - 2BR
Creature - Ooze R
If ~ would become the target (or part of the target) of a spell or ability, it is not. Instead, if it is untapped tap it.
Niv-Mizzet, for some reason known only to the Firemind, decided to give the Temur a little creation. We're still trying to do damage control.
- Hishen, Abzan general

I think the wording if off (it is not should be "counter that spell or ability"). Also needs a P/T.

Challenge: More Khans of Tarkir tri-color stuff.

Sultai Hermit 3G
Creature - Human Druid R
2B, put the top 2 cards of your library into your graveyard: Target player discards a card. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.
2U, exile 2 cards in your graveyard: Target player draws a card.
2/2

Flameburst XRR
Instant R
Deal X damage to target creature or player

Ferocious- if you have a creature with power 4 or greater deal X damage to Y target creatures or players, where Y is the number of creatures you have with power greater than 4

I like it. It might should be a sorcery (XR burn defaults to sorcery).

make something defencey

Platinum Sentry 4
Artifact Creature - Construct
Vigilance
Sacrifice ~: Until end of turn you cannot lose the game and if a source would reduce your life to less than 1 prevent that damage.
2/4

Wall of Revelations WPR
Enchantment - U
As Wall of Revelations enters the battlefield, choose a colour. Deny spells of the chosen colour (Counter them unless their controller pays 1)

Deny should not be a keyword; it creates an unhealthy play state to have enough of it to make it worth a key word. Also how is this red? It looks like a Blue, White, or Blue-White effect?

Void Wolf 2GG
Creature - Wolf U
At the beginning of each of your upkeep phases, if ~ is in exile, put two +1/+1 counters on target creature.
3/3

Challenge: Allied tri-color (shards not khans).

r2d2go
2015-01-26, 02:02 PM
Mm... no. Let me explicate something to you:

One does not simply make a hydra that lets you put on more +1/+1 counters for mana.

Seriously. Look at all other hydra's as precedents. Especially Feral Hydra.

Yeah, no, that's not at all true. Savageborn Hydra (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=368952) has doublestrike and costs 1(R/G) to put a counter on it, and doesn't even tap. Heroes Bane (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=380434) doubles counters for 2GG, almost certainly cheaper than this. Feral Hydra is not a good card, playable in at best limited.

Izzet's Gift - 2BR
Creature - Ooze R
- Hishen, Abzan general

You forgot P/T :smalltongue: Anyway, since it will never be more than a big, psuedo-shroud vanilla creature, this is pretty weak even with a decent sized base P/T. Also, U is blue, not B.

I'm getting ninja'd, so moving on to Jorm's...

Izzet's Gift needs P/T, and flameburst is just odd, but I guess they both work.

Wall of Revelations WPR
Enchantment - U

Deny is probably stronger than you think, though this isn't quite putting your opponent back a full turn, so it's probably fine.

Eternal Watcher 1WWW
Creature - Spirit R
When ~ enters the battlefield, target creature gets protection from a color of your choice until end of turn. Then, you may exile Eternal Watcher.
1WWW - Return Eternal Watcher to the battlefield from exile.
3/3

Edit: Hurray, ninja'd again anyway :smalltongue:

Void Wolf 2GG
Creature - Wolf U
At the beginning of each of your upkeep phases, if ~ is in exile, put two +1/+1 counters on target creature.
3/3

That's actually pretty cool. 2GG for a mediocre card, but if you manage to exile it somehow its a powerful ambient effect.

Fissuresaur 3RGB
Creature - Dinosaur R
Whenever ~ attacks, ~ fights target creature. If it fights, whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ dies this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Destroy target creature, or ~ gains trample until end of turn, or ~ gains first strike until end of turn.
4/4

Challenge: Make something that flickers.

Zaydos
2015-01-26, 02:07 PM
I'm getting ninja'd, so moving on to Jorm's...

You got ninja'd more than you thought :smalltongue:

Eternal Watcher 1WWW
Creature - Spirit R
Indestructible
When ~ enters the battlefield, target creature gets protection from a color of your choice until end of turn. Then, you may exile Eternal Watcher.
1WWW - Return Eternal Watcher to the battlefield from exile.
2/2

Remove the Indestructible and make it a 3/3 and it's probably good. As is it's probably too strong.

Challenge: Make something that flickers.

Illusionary Stalker 2U
Creature - Illusion U
When ~ enters the battlefield scry 2.
Whenever ~ becomes blocked exile it then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
2/1

Challenge: Allied tricolor.

mystic1110
2015-01-26, 02:12 PM
I thought flicker is a white ability - at least immediate flicker. Other than that - I like it - but fear it is too strong since it can't die on the attack. Too strong for limited I mean - so make it a rare instead of an uncommon?

Duke of Hazard 1BRG
Creature - Demon R
Flying
When ~ ETB destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.
4/4

Compare to Seige Rhino which is just Lightning helix on a stick, and this is Terminate on a stick

Create a Dragon Angel

r2d2go
2015-01-26, 02:15 PM
That's... not at all the same :smalltongue: Seige Rhino can only hit players, and board state > life state most of the time. Also, flying > trample, so this is by faaaar stronger :smallbiggrin: this should probably cost 2 more.

Dragonkin Angel 3RRWW
Creature - Angel Dragon R
First Strike, Vigilance, Flying, Haste
R - ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
W - ~ gets +0/+1 until end of turn.
4/4

Challenge: Something blue, and big.

mystic1110
2015-01-26, 02:22 PM
Fair enough on your critique on the demon,

As for the angel dragon - that's pretty spot on on what wizards would print well done!

Primordial Water God 12UUUUU
Legendary Creature - Leviathan M
Trample, Hexproof
Primordial Water God enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice four Islands. If you do, untap Primordial Water God.
Primordial Water God can't attack unless your Devotion to blue is eight or more.
20/20

The critiques about a 20/20 creature don't hold up anymore considering that sutterred ghoul and the like can use lord of extinction (and various other cards that combo into instant wins without needing to attack) - also no GY shuffle clause required since the card ETBT, and doesn't untap without a huge cost.

Yeah it's not a good card :smalltongue:
Create a Living Weapon

Zaydos
2015-01-26, 02:29 PM
Primordial Water God 12UUUUU
Legendary Creature - Leviathan M
Trample, Hexproof
Primordial Water God enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice four Islands. If you do, untap Primordial Water God.
Primordial Water God can't attack unless your Devotion to blue is eight or more.
20/20

Thought the first: 17 drop without an anti-reanimation clause that's worri- Then I saw just how much it was an update on Leviathan. It's potent with a Quicksilver Amulet but functions. I might make it 12UUUU so that it didn't increase your devotion as much but I'm not sure if that would be needed. Definitely an interesting card. Too specialized to be a money card, but not even all mythics are those.

Create a Living Weapon

Cara-blade 4
Artifact - Equipment U
Living weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, put a 0/0 black Germ creature token onto the battlefield, then attach this to it.)

Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and First Strike

Equip: 4

thatonesungod
2015-01-26, 02:31 PM
you.... forgot a challenge zaydos

Zaydos
2015-01-26, 02:32 PM
you.... forgot a challenge zaydos

So I did. 4 hours sleep does that.

Challenge: Make a house cat!

mystic1110
2015-01-26, 02:37 PM
I really wish they didn't make living weapon black germ creatures because IMO it should have been an evergreen keyword - it is such a freaking cool keyword - and i wish I could have played 40 living weapons 20 lands and just had fun making robots.

House Cat B
Creature - Cat
When House Cat ETB destroy target creature with flying and a converted mana cost of 1 or less.
1/1

Create a Lawyer

thatonesungod
2015-01-26, 02:42 PM
carablade seems sweet, do want

Imaginary kitten UU
Creature-Cat Illusion U
=>: tap target Creature
whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability sacrifice it
Oh my god its ADORABLE

make a quasi diety

1pwny
2015-01-26, 03:39 PM
On that note, I like it! I thought that it would have more of a damage-reduction effect for other combatants (cuteness and all), but your effect works too, I guess.

Exemplary Lawyer - 2WB
Creature - Human Lawyer U
1T: Remove 3 mana from target player's mana pool.
0/1
When they sue you, their cases are soundproof.
More what I was expecting from a kitten challenge. Very cool. It being an illusion makes it a strange housecat, though.

Heracles - 5GR
Legendary Creature - Human Demigod R
T: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
Evolve
6/6
Heracles always adapted to the situation. And besides his extreme strength and endurance he was a very good shot.

Challenge: Make some devotion.

Zaydos
2015-01-26, 03:48 PM
Exemplary Lawyer - 2WB
Creature - Human Lawyer U
1T: Remove 3 mana from target player's mana pool.
0/1
When they sue you, their cases are soundproof.

"Counter target spell or ability unless its controller pays 3" would be completely broken. as remove 3 mana from target player's mana pool it's odd. Usually you won't have priority to use this ability as mana abilities don't transfer priority so 99% of the time if a player has mana in their mana pool you can't do anything until they spend it. This leaves it with a few niche uses (Overgrowth land being used to cast 2 sorcery speed spells, response to Seething Song/Dark Ritual resolution, and dealing with Locus). Which actually leaves this card as a really weak 4 drop. That said this card would cause judges enough head aches to make it a Rare or higher just because most players will not realize how mana abilities work in regards to such an ability.

Heracles has the easiest tap for 3 damage effect to use in the game and is a 6/6 with the potential to get better, but there's better reanimation/cheat fodder, and while a very versatile creature there's enough 7 drops better I don't think it would shatter anything.

Challenge: Make some devotion.[/QUOTE]

Vital Sporing 4GG
Sorcery R
Put X 1/1 green Saproling tokens onto the battlefield where X is your devotion to Green.

Challenge: Make a mummy.

thatonesungod
2015-01-26, 04:13 PM
seems fine but even in monogreen it doesnt seem that good

Ammaret, the silk Robed 3WR
Legendary Creature-Zombie R
Whenever a nonblack zombie enters the battlefield under your control put a +1/+1 counter on Ammaret
Humans you control get +1/+1 for each +1/+1 counter on Ammaret
3/4

nonblack zombie flavor ftw

Make something with reinforce

reinforce X (cost) (pay the reinforce cost and discard this creature: put X +1/+1 counters on target creature)

Blue Ghost
2015-01-26, 07:44 PM
Caring about two different tribes is kind of suspect in design. He forces you to play both humans and nonblack zombies (whatever they might be in the given set) in high quantity. Power level wise seems fine, but doesn't seem like a fun card to play.

Over the Hills 1G
Sorcery (C)
Search your library for a Plains or Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Reinforce 2 - 2GG

Next: Make a card with level up.

1pwny
2015-01-26, 08:22 PM
So its like rampant growth but not as good, and with an overpriced Reinforce? Not a bad common, though I would probably lower the Reinforce cost a bit.

Acorn Pile G
Enchantment - C
Level up 1G
Level 1-4:
- T: Put a 1/1 green Squirrel creature token into play under your control.
Level 5+:
- T: Put three 1/1 green Squirrel creature tokens into play under your control.

Challenge: Something original that nobody's made recently.

r2d2go
2015-01-26, 08:53 PM
It's a bit too complicated for a common, and it's also a little too strong IMO. For a swarm/Convoke deck that uses Overrun and the like to finish, it could be pretty insane. Honestly, it should just start with an ability and cost more (1GG?), then get bumped to Uncommon or Rare. Unless your going turn 1 Acorn Pile, turn 2 level it up, it'll be basically the same and allow more interesting abilities (e.g. at highest level, squirrels you control get +1/+1 and Trample).

Golgari Marsh-Dweller 1BG
Creature - Human Warrior C
Wallow 1 (Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, you may exile a card from your graveyard. If you do, it gains +1/+1 until end of turn.)
2/3

Azorius: Delay (target) X - Exile (target) spell with X time counters. At the beginning of each of the current player's turns, remove a time counter. If there are no time counters on ~, its controller may cast it without paying its mana cost.
Basically, Delay, but now you can use it on anything! :smalltongue: I liked the idea that as long as the bureaucrats can get to the thing in time, they can delay it.

Orzhov: Tithe (cost) - Your opponent may pay (cost) to counter ~. (Often has "If your opponent pays the Tithe, [effect])
Seemed in flavor with Orzhov. This is kind of anti-not-control, since mostly control keeps mana open, and thus leaves Orzhov to play aggressively costed creatures to attack control.

Boros: Glory X (effect) - If this and at least X other creatures deal combat damage this turn, (effect).
Basically encourages as much combat as possible, which I felt was very Boros :smallbiggrin: Often an effect to punish blocking, since that adds to the Glory counter.

Selesnya: Unity X (effect) - If at least X creatures you control attack or block together, (effect).
I felt this fit Selesnya flavor if not deck type, and deck types are flexible anyway :smalltongue: favors protecting single creatures or buffing all creatures for attack/defense.

Dimir: Skulk (Cost) - Whenever ~ attacks and is not blocked, you may pay (cost). If you do, (effect).
A bit like more flexible Ninjitsu, which was already U/B, so I figured it's good.

Izzet: Chaos X - When you cast this spell, flip X coins. (Cards will have additional effects per head, tail, or coin flip this turn).
Lends to spamming a lot of Chaos spells in one turn, which is kind of Izzet's thing.

Simic: Mutate X (cost) - You may play this creature for its Mutate cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters and is Mutated.
This is both for late-game where it costs more and so you drop it for more, as well as a few where the mutate cost is less but has a drawback (e.g. dies when it takes damage, or can't attack)

Rakdos: Volatile X (effect) - When ~ dies, deal X damage to each creature you control, then (effect).
Yes, this makes huge chain reactions of dying creatures. Many creatures (lords, other leader figures) will have immunity to this, or some way to mitigate it (Persist, Undying, Unearth)

Golgari: Wallow X - Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, you may exile a card from your graveyard. If you do, it gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
Like delve, but for P/T instead of mana.

Gruul: Crash (Effect) - Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, if it was blocked this turn, (effect).
Intended for trampling as well as creature-based burn that triggers this specifically (e.g. damage equal to creature power or toughness, as well as equipment/enchantments that use the creature to deal damage).

Challenge: Make a card that will sometimes have 1 or less keywords in use, but other times have 3 or more keywords in use. Edit: I just made a keyword for each guild, so you could just use one of those instead :smalltongue: bonus points for both!

1pwny
2015-01-26, 09:35 PM
Seems like a good common.

Excessive and Utter Destruction - 3RRR
Sorcery - MR
Deal up to 2 damage to target creature.
Storm
If ~ is at least the 3rd spell you've cast this turn, it has Replicate(4). (maybe that should be 4: copy this spell?)
If ~ is at least the 6th spell you've cast this turn, it has Affinity for Mountains.
If ~ is at least the 15th spell you've cast this turn, you may deal 2 damage to target player.
It looked like a bad investment at first. Then the storm got going, and the lightning never stopped.

This seems like it works, but the keywords might actually interact differently. If so, then whoops.

Challenge: Make something else ridiculously pricey that can easily end the game.

Fortuna
2015-01-27, 02:24 AM
...meh? It needs to be the fourth spell in a turn before it's worth casting, which means you need to have enough mana and cards to play three previous spells and then drop six mana on... 6 damage to creatures. If you have the mana to get the higher-end effects going on, you'd be better off just dropping Dragonstorm. I suppose it might see some EDH play - my Melek deck could almost make use of it, except that usually if my Melek deck (or any other deck, for that matter) is casting that many spells in a turn, it means I'm about to do something rather more game-ending, or rather more mana-efficient, or rather less hideously situational. I would be very disappointed to open this as my mythic.

Sword of Mar 7
Legendary Artifact - Equipment M
When Sword of Mar becomes attached to a creature, tap that creature.
Equipped creature has shroud and annihilator 7.
Equip 6

Make a card that is WUR EDIT: and no other colours, but very clearly not Jeskai mechanically (not just in name and flavour text).

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-01-27, 02:45 AM
Keep in mind that copying a spell is considered a different action than casting a spell. This thing, on its face, is quite expensive for what it does. Replicate seems kind of counterproductive (you will need that mana to cast other spells to raise your Storm count) and the last ability is kind of redundant (if your storm count is over 15, chances are you've already won the game in three different ways). The affinity bit is more interesting and seems like it might deserve to be on its own card; this thing basically reads, "If you've cast 6 or more spells this turn, you may cast this without paying its mana cost," which on its own could easily make it a new win condition for some storm decks.

Sword of Mar is pretty over-the-top. It's clearly designed to end the game in three turns, no matter what. In constructed, you can usually count on an opponent having some way of dealing with it, and two turns of mana plus a third to actually attack gives a limited opponent ample opportunity to race you unless you have some other effects to combo into it. We'll need to be careful that it doesn't go off one time too many, but it's certainly cool and exciting.

Easily End the Game 8WUBRG
Instant - M
Lose the game. Then end the turn, exile all cards you own and lose the game again, just to be sure.

Jeskai Exile 1U(w/r)
Creature - Human Wizard U
Flash
When Jeskai Exile enters the battlefield, counter target instant or sorcery spell and counter all triggered abilities.
He's not too happy with them, either.
3/1

Challenge! Make a card that costs 1G(r/b)

Ninjaman
2015-01-27, 03:07 AM
Decent counter and with a 3/1 attached, and it counters triggered abilities. Cool card but definately not an uncommon.

Jund Exile - 1G(R/B)
Creature - Vashino Shaman - R
Trample
When Jund exile enters the battlefield, creatures with toughness 3 or less can't block this turn.
3/1

Continue the mega cycle.

Eldan
2015-01-27, 03:57 AM
That's pretty damn cool. Not by itself, maybe (though decent), but it can set up a pretty devastating attack against a lot of tribals, like weenies.

Anyway, the challenge

Goblin Megacycle 3

Artefact creature (U)

Trample
Goblin Megacycle comes into play with 3 +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever Goblin Megacycle attacks, remove a +1/+1 counter from it.
Goblin Megacycle can not attack unless another creature also attacks.

Scavenge X (when Goblin Megacycle comes into play, you may exile any number of artefacts from your graveyard. If you do, put that many +1/+1 counters on ~).

Like a bicycle! But twenty-seven stories tall!
-Goblin Artificer

2/0

:smalltongue:

And seriously:

Grixis exile 1B(U/R)

Creature - Zombie Cleric (R)

Unearth 1B(U/R)

When Grixis exile comes into play, black creatures in your graveyard with converted mana cost 3 or less have "Unearth: 1BB" until end of turn.

3/1

Challenge: one more.

Ninjaman
2015-01-27, 05:47 AM
Megacycle: Wording is off. Scavenge is already a keyword (but salvage isn't). Rarity should be higher.

Grixis exile: It doesn't fit well with the rest of the cycle as it is way more mana intenssive. Otherwise nice card.

Abzan Exile - 1W(b/g)
Creature - Hound Cleric - R
Vigilance
When Abzan exile enters the battlefield, exile target nonland permanent until Abzan Exile leaves the battlefield.
3/1

Create something with a pumpkin.

Jormengand
2015-01-27, 11:39 AM
Oblivion dog? Oblivion dog. Doesn't seem very B or G, but okay I can live with that.

Hallows' Icon 3
Artifact - Idol U
WBT: Energise each idol you control.
When you energise Hallows' Icon, put a 1/1 black and white spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield under your control.

Next: An idol creature, equipment, or fortification.

Ionbound
2015-01-27, 11:44 AM
Hrm. I definitely think that it's balance is based on what other cards are printed with it, but on it's own it seems pretty reasonable.

Ballista of Rampart Smashing-4

Artifact Equipment-R

Equipped creature has +2/+0 whenever it is blocked.

Equip 3

Challenge: Create a werewolf tribal enchantment that doesn't interact with the transform mechanic.

thatonesungod
2015-01-27, 11:48 AM
seems fine, for an idol i guess, more a support idol you want to have out to take a bit of bonus advantage

Lightforge Shield 2W
Artifact-Equipment Lightforge U
Equip 2
Whenever Equipped creature would be dealt damage, prevent that damage and gain that much life
The discovery of a process to forge light itself forever changed the fate of the plane Eteria, and of Faith

see Hallow (http://magiccards.info/ds/en/4.html) for inspiration

Challenge: make something with hardlight