PDA

View Full Version : MtG: YMTC challenge II: The Purple Blues

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Jormengand
2015-01-27, 11:50 AM
I meant an idol (creature, equipment or fortification) not an (idol creature), equipment or fortification, but anyway. Looks insanely overpriced; I'm pretty sure you can get a strictly better effect for less. If you put two +1/+0 counters on it when it was blocked that would be worth it, but nothing actually uses single-stat counters.

Ninja: Lightforged shield seems insane. Equipped creature can't take damage and you heal if it would? Jeez

Concordant Howl 4WB
Sorcery - R
For each non-human werewolf you control, destroy target nonland permanent.
Fill the night with screaming, and fill the day with shouting. Fill the morning with crying, and fill the evening with a thousand howls that tear all but the ground itself to shreds.

Holographic Titan 6UUUU
Creature - Illusion R
Affinity for illusions, Guardian for illusions (If an illusion you control would be the target of an ability, if Holographic Titan is a valid target, you may change the target to Holographic Titan)
6/6

Next: An idol which is a creature, equipment or fortification.

r2d2go
2015-01-27, 12:25 PM
I meant an idol (creature, equipment or fortification) not an (idol creature), equipment or fortification, but anyway. Looks insanely overpriced; I'm pretty sure you can get a strictly better effect for less. If you put two +1/+0 counters on it when it was blocked that would be worth it, but nothing actually uses single-stat counters.

Ninja: Lightforged shield seems insane. Equipped creature can't take damage and you heal if it would? Jeez

Concordant Howl 4WB
Sorcery - R
For each non-human werewolf you control, destroy target nonland permanent.
Fill the night with screaming, and fill the day with shouting. Fill the morning with crying, and fill the evening with a thousand howls that tear all but the ground itself to shreds.

Holographic Titan 6UUUU
Creature - Illusion R
Affinity for illusions, Guardian for illusions (If an illusion you control would be the target of an ability, if Holographic Titan is a valid target, you may change the target to Holographic Titan)
6/6

Next: An idol which is a creature, equipment or fortification.

Howl would be a lot better and make more sense if it were in werewolf colors, RG :smalltongue: as is, it's forcing you to add two colors in a tribal deck, which just seems too much.

Titan is fine, if since it's so expensive. Lord of the Unreal is better anthem-wise and costs less, in exchange for not being a 6/6.

Shifting Idol 3
Artifact - Idol R
Whenever ~ is energized, choose one until end of turn:
~ becomes a 4/4 artifact creature.
~ becomes an equipment with "equipped creature gets +2/+2" and attaches itself to target creature.
~ becomes a fortification with "whenever ~ is energized, add 1 to your mana pool" and attaches itself to target land.
4, T - Energize each idol you control.

Challenge: Something modal.

Jormengand
2015-01-27, 12:43 PM
Well... huh. Two of them will recoup your mana cost from energising anything else if you fortificationify them but turn it colourless, but then you can use that additional mana for free energises on all of your other stuff, and finally equip them off to a creature you want to git gud until the end of your turn when you run the whole thing again. The energise cost being colourless and CMC 4 is weird.

Devour Souls WB
Sorcery - U
Choose one:
- Gain 1 life for each creature you control.
- Deal damage to target player equal to the number of creatures that player controls.
Entwine 1WB

Next: Another idol that's ONE OF creature, equipment or fortification and energises for two coloured mana. :smalltongue:

thatonesungod
2015-01-27, 01:19 PM
devour souls seems fine, but one of those effects is going to be used a HECK of a lot more than the other Hint: DAMAGE

Amulet of Endless Armor 4
Artifact-Equipment Idol U
Equip 1
Whenever Amulet of Endless armor is energized Equipped creature gets +1/+2 until end of turn
WU,=>: energize each idol you control

make a big shield

1pwny
2015-01-27, 03:20 PM
Just thinking about an artifact/equipment/idol is strange. What would it look like?

Tower Shield - 3
Artifact - Shield C
Equipped creature get +0/+4
Equipped creature has Shroud and Unblockable, and cannot attack.
0: Dequip ~ from equipped creature.
Equip 3
Using a tower shield gives you and all your equipped items cover, including the tower shield.

Challenge: Another reference to a dysfunction in a different popular game.

Jormengand
2015-01-27, 04:46 PM
Heh! Niiiice.

Mohatma Ghandi 3WW
Creature - Human diplomat MR
If you control a permanent called "Diplomacy," Mohatma Ghandi gets +1000/+0
1/6

(Diplomacy 1W
Enchantment - C
Creatures get -2/+2)

Next: Something based around the number zero.

thatonesungod
2015-01-27, 05:15 PM
ha ha... nuke ghandi

Knight of the Zeroth power 1
Creature-Human Knight R
as an additional cost to cast knight of the zeroth power pay X*Y life, where X is the number of creatures you control and Y is the number of cards in your hand
Creatures have their power and toughness raised to the 0 power(each creatures power and toughness becomes 1)
1/1

make the start of a story

Jormengand
2015-01-27, 05:30 PM
No Scott Pilgrim = Son I am disappoint.

Anyway, everything is 1/1. Eh, fine I guess. Turn 1, drop something that makes creatures bad for 0 life and 1 mana, but Tim can kill him.

Storm of Idols 6PP
Enchantment - MR
At the start of your upkeep, you may put an idol from your hand into play and energise it.
The heavens opened, and carved stones and holy altars rained from the sky like great meteors, promising power to whoever sought them out.

(This is the beginning of Yellow, the first of my purple sets, and if you don't remember what an idol is there's more than one on this page.)

Next: Let's try and come up with an ability which would fit in Veldan (UPB). Purple likes permanent defences, small spells, few but big creatures, cantrips and on-cast synergy. It uses the exile zone a lot, and also has the power to make things useless once cast but doesn't usually counter them before they've hit. If you play purple, you should get to do a lot of things even if you're not actually achieving much.

You don't actually have to use all of UPB but don't use any other colours.

1pwny
2015-01-27, 05:56 PM
A good 8-drop. I don't have a list of the different Idols we've made, but I don't think there should be many abuses with it. And even if there are, hey, its an 8-drop.

Veldan Charm - UPB
Creature - Wizard U
Choose one:

Destroy target nonblack creature.
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2.
Recover 1 creature (choose 1 creature in exile, then put it onto the battlefield tapped)

Challenge: An un-card.

Jormengand
2015-01-27, 06:02 PM
Creature - Wizard?

Anyway, doomblade, taxes, pseudo-revivify. Only thing I don't like is that Revivify is Quijuk (WP) and recover does the same thing only it's tapped. But then, you couldn't be expected to search that up.

Ceci N'est Pas Une Carte {p/P}{p/P}{p/P}
Sorcery - R
Hide target card in your pocket and pretend it doesn't exist.
No, you see, it's only a PICTURE of a card!

Next: A card about cards.

Eldan
2015-01-27, 06:12 PM
Well, that's terrible. I like it.

Mercadian Card-shark 1UU

Creature - Fish Rogue

T: put one card from your hand on top of your library, then shuffle your library, then draw a card.

2/2

Challenge: another bad pun.

thatonesungod
2015-01-27, 06:20 PM
ehh, i guess its okay but still kinda bad

Hideous, Laughter....Elemental 2GG
Creature-Beast Elemental U
Hideous Laughter is indestructible as long as you are laughing
=>: target player tells a joke or makes a pun, then Hideous laughter.....Elemental fights target creature an opponent controls
3/3

make something that writes

r2d2go
2015-01-27, 06:44 PM
Obvious Un-card is obvious, but that's overpowered :smalltongue: Indestructible while laughing pretty much equals Indestructible, so at 3/3 Indestructible for 4 this thing's really strong. Throw in the ability to fight (synergising with Indestructible), and you've got rare and potentially mythic power nonsense.

Azorius Scribe 1WU
Creature - Wizard R
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, Delay a noncreature spell 1. (Exile a noncreature spell with 1 time counter. At the beginning of each of the current player's turns, remove a time counter. If there are no time counters on ~, its controller may cast it without paying its mana cost.)
Hold on! I'm still writing!
1/3

Challenge: Make a ninja.

Zaydos
2015-01-27, 07:24 PM
Azorius Scribe 1WU
Creature - Wizard U
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, Delay a noncreature spell 1. (Exile a noncreature spell with 1 time counter. At the beginning of each of the current player's turns, remove a time counter. If there are no time counters on ~, its controller may cast it without paying its mana cost.)
Hold on! I'm still writing!
1/3

It is comparable in power with Venser, Shaper Savant (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373326) (Venser makes them pay mana twice, but late game that can be much less meaningful than making it wait a round which for Blue-White control is pretty meaningful). As Venser is still a $10+ card this definitely is too powerful as a 3 drop uncommon. With some spells this is actually like countering them right out (Fog effects).

Challenge: Make a ninja.

Shadow Dancer 2BB
Creature - Human Ninja C
Ninjutsu BB (BB: Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Shadow
3/1

Challenge: Make a giant.

r2d2go
2015-01-27, 08:11 PM
Bounce at instant speed [Repulse (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=247187)) appears to cost 1 less than Detain at sorcery speed (Inaction Injunction (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=265376)), so I figured that dropping a rarity, adding a color, and giving a generally worse stat spread would be fine.

A rather good common - Both methods of getting the card into play are pretty decent, and on the same card it's great. Not OP, though. A good card overall :smallbiggrin:

Thundertoss Giant 3RR
Creature - Giant R
Haste
T, R, sacrifice a creature: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
3/3

Challenge: Make another card that turns one resource into a specific card (the above is creatures into lightning bolts).

Jormengand
2015-01-27, 08:40 PM
I'd object, but the tap makes it workable.

Spontaneous Conversion XUPB
Instant - R
Put X 1/1 purple purgator creature tokens with Judgement (When a creature blocking, fighting or blocked by them dies, exile it) onto the battlefield.
Conversion UPB (UPB, reveal Spontaneous Conversion from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of this spell. X is equal to the Converted Mana cost of that spell).
Despite their pleas, Trianna kept on doing nothing but summoning purgators.

Next: Something with One Eye Open - When you draw a card, do X or Conversion N (N, reveal ~ from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~. If applicable, X is equal to the CMC of that spell.) in some combinaion of U, P and B and nothing else.

CantigThimble
2015-01-27, 09:52 PM
Seems decent, spirals way out of control late game but 3 color and takes a while to get there.

2 issues, why isn't judgement just based on damage dealt this turn? It would be shorter and easier to understand. Conversion as it is only works for X spells. Therefore I propose:

Mirrorfield Drake 2U
Sorcery
Conversion 2: U (reveal ~ from your hand and pay U, target spell with converted mana cost 2 or more becomes a copy of ~.)
Put a 2/1 blue drake creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Make a card with conversion or delve that doesn't make creature tokens. (Don't forget about memory issues)

Zaydos
2015-01-27, 10:06 PM
Mirrorfield Drake 2U
Sorcery
Conversion 2: U (reveal ~ from your hand and pay U, target spell with converted mana cost 2 or more becomes a copy of ~.)
Put a 2/1 blue drake creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Needs to keep the "you control" part, and I'd make it either require a 3 drop, cost UU, or put in a 1/1 token. It might pass as a rare, but isn't particularly interesting as one, and you'd be more likely to see that in Green or White since they're supposed to swarm creatures. Also even with your modification Conversion only works well with X costs because otherwise they lose value if the converted card is not exactly the minimum to for it.

Make a card with conversion or delve that doesn't make creature tokens. (Don't forget about memory issues)

Do you mean one which makes non-creature tokens? Or just one that doesn't create tokens?

Rain of Stars XXG
Instant R
Delve (Each card you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for 1.)
Put X enchantment tokens with "Sacrifice this permanent: Add G to your mana pool" named Stardust onto the battlefield under your control.

Neverland Path XGG
Sorcery U
Search your library for X basic lands, reveal them, and put them into your hand.
Conversion: 2G (2G, reveal Spontaneous Conversion from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of this spell. X is equal to the Converted Mana cost of that spell).

An example of both. I doubt either is remotely balanced.

Challenge: Multikicker.

r2d2go
2015-01-27, 10:10 PM
Edit: Nevermind, ninja'd, one moment...

Jorm's conversion works fine, if it's not an X spell, you just cut out the X bit. That's why it says "if applicable". Your version, on the other hand, is completely OP as written, because you made it "target spell" and not "target spell you control" :smalltongue: which makes it a 1 mana counterspell that costs you no cards. Even if you fix that, this gets rid of one of the better parts of "converting" things - you turn a resources that no longer has value (e.g. lands) and turn it into something worthwhile. This would be better, and simpler, as "Conversion 2U (reveal ~ from your hand and pay 2U: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~)".

Secretkeeper 4UB
Creature - Human R
Delve
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may choose a card that was exiled with its Delve ability. If you do, attach it to ~. When ~ dies, add that card to your hand.
3/3

Basically, 3/3 Delve for 4UB, that lets you grab a card from your graveyard.

Rain of Stars is pretty strong - I'd definitely play it in my Golgari self-mill deck to empty my hand turn 3 or 4. It lets you get some horrifying things out. It's not exactly overpowered, though, since some Delve cards are just that strong to begin with. Neverland Path isn't particularly strong due to the fact that they just get put in your hand, but in a deck that discards for effects, it could be very strong, as well as being good mana fixing for a multicolored-but-primarily-green deck.

Rockstorm Elemental 2RRR
Creature - Elemental R
Multikicker - Discard a land.
Trample, haste
For each time ~ was kicked, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn and deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
At the end of your turn, sacrifice ~.
2/4

Ball Lightning + Seismic Assault? :smalltongue:

Challenge: Something else that uses an existing keyword in a new and exciting way :smalltongue: see Secretkeeper for that.

Zaydos
2015-01-27, 10:18 PM
Jorm's conversion works fine, if it's not an X spell, you just cut out the X bit. That's why it says "if applicable". Your version, on the other hand, is completely OP as written, because you made it "target spell" and not "target spell you control" :smalltongue: which makes it a 1 mana counterspell that costs you no cards. Even if you fix that, this gets rid of one of the better parts of "converting" things - you turn a resources that no longer has value (e.g. lands) and turn it into something worthwhile. This would be better, and simpler, as "Conversion 2U (reveal ~ from your hand and pay 2U: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~)".

Conversion doesn't work on lands since they aren't spells. I think they were attempting to solve the problem of using it with a 1 drop to get more bang for your buck, where your version is in effect 1+ mana and discard a non-land card for buyback. Neither version actually works well for cards without X in their cost.

Secretkeeper 4UB
Creature - Human R
Delve
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may choose a card that was exiled with its Delve ability. If you do, attach it to ~. When ~ dies, add that card to your hand.
3/3

Basically, 3/3 Delve for 4UB, that lets you grab a card from your graveyard.

Normally Green is the color for getting cards back from your graveyard without type restrictions but I'd say this feels like it works. U covers Instants and Sorceries, Black covers Creatures and occasionally other things (usually permanents), and the rarity fills the rest of the color pie oddness.

Edit: @Rockstorm Elemental: I like it, but I wonder if it's base Power needs to be a little higher. Though combine with Neverland Road for silly antics.

Challenge: Something else that uses an existing keyword in a new and exciting way :smalltongue:

Rakdos War Howl 2(R/B)(R/B)
Enchantment R
(R/B): Until end of turn creatures have Unleash (You may have this creature enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it. It can't block as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.)

(not sure how new and exciting it is since Golgari and Simic both would occasionally throw +1/+1 counters on enemy creatures with unleash but it's a shot)

Challenge: Multikicker.

r2d2go
2015-01-27, 10:24 PM
It's alright, though best if you put a bunch of creatures out at once. Hilariously enough, I think it lets you Unleash things multiple times, so it's potentially very similar to "(R/B) - Until end of turn, whenever a creature enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it". If that was the case, I call insanity, because you could do something like burst mana (red/black's specialty) into this into some sort of goblin token madness, leading to a small army of buffed insanity :smallbiggrin:

I'm gonna cheat a bit and use what I already did...

Rockstorm Elemental 2RRR
Creature - Elemental R
Multikicker - Discard a land.
Trample, haste
For each time ~ was kicked, it gets +1/+0 and deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2/4

Challenge: Make something else that is a lot like two cards put together (in the above case, Seismic Assault + Ball Lightning).

Edit: Making the above a good finisher but not OP was getting a little hectic, so here's a different version that I think is better, but not quite as good of a translation of two cards.

Rockstorm Elemental 2RRR
Creature - Elemental R
Multikicker - Sacrifice a land.
For each time ~ was kicked, it gets +1/+0 and deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
2/4

Jormengand
2015-01-27, 10:33 PM
Well... with some drawing, not too hard to kill your opponent with it. Not sure I like it.

Spontaneous Crescendo XUPBR
Instant - R
Spontaneous Crescendo deals X damage to target creature or player.
Second Wind - if you cast another spell this turn, Sontaneous Crescendo deals X more damage to that creature or player.
Conversion UPBR (UPBR, reveal Spontaneous Conversion from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of this spell. X is equal to the Converted Mana cost of that spell).
Louder... and louder... and louder...

Again!

Ionbound
2015-01-27, 11:24 PM
Wow...That's horrific. Like, really and utterly terrifying. I would not want that played against me.

Virulent Living Bomb-4GGRR

Sorcery-MR

~ deals X damage to target creature or player where X is how many times this spell has been cast this turn.

Whenever this spell deals damage to a creature, copy it. You may choose a new target for this copy.

Challenge: Create a card that uses or interacts with the Transform mechanic that isn't from Innistrad.

Blue Ghost
2015-01-27, 11:25 PM
I'm not really sold on the conversion mechanic. It seems like it would lead to some quite repetitive gameplay. But I suppose it could warrant testing. What if you made it a splice-like effect instead?
I am quite fond of second wind though.
As for the card, having two non-evergreen keywords on a card is almost never done, but it could work.
Why is this four colors? The effect is red, and I suppose if you declare conversion to be purple, that makes a two-color card. Must every conversion card be UPB? That would just be silly.
I like the flavor it invokes, but I'm not sure about the gameplay. It's already very expensive, costing a minimum of 5 mana with 4 different colors, and requiring even more to get a good effect. What are the chances you'd be able to afford that after having already cast another spell? We can test this to see if it'll work, but I'm skeptical.

Faithful Squire 1W
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Support (You may have this creature enter the battlefield supporting another target creature you control.)
Supported creature gets +1/+1.
"I may not be as strong as you, my lord, but I'm behind you all the way."
1/1

Next: Another creature with support.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Reply forthcoming.

Wow...That's horrific. Like, really and utterly terrifying. I would not want that played against me.

I say that to your card as well!
The way this card is right now, I don't see why it's green. Also, it goes infinite with an indestructible creature. That probably needs fixing.
So most of the time this is a one-sided boardwipe that also deals damage to your opponent equal to the number of creatures it killed, plus a few more. That's a quite simple, if extremely powerful, effect, so I don't think the card should look so complex. Simple designs are best ones. I would make it simply "Destroy any number of target creatures, then deal damage to your opponent equal to the number of creatures destroyed this way." Gameplay would be very similar (and win you the game most of the time; power level might still need to be toned down a bit, even at 8 mana).

Filostrato, Mad Tinker 3U
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (M)
Artifact spells you cast cost 2 less to cast.
When Filostrato, Mad Tinker dies, return Filostrato to the battlefield transformed.
1/2
//////
Filostrato, One with the Machine
(Colorless) Artifact Creature - Golem
Indestructible
Artifacts you control are 4/4 artifact creatures with indestructible.
6/6

Next: Make another monocolored legendary creature that transforms when it dies.

Jormengand
2015-01-27, 11:59 PM
Officially going in my idols deck. :smalltongue:

The Arbiter 5PP
Legendary Creature - Purgator MR
Creatures you control have Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by them dies, exile it.)
When The Arbiter dies, transform her.
I stand ready to pass judgement.
7/7
////////
Malleus Arbitralis
Legendary Artifact - Equipment MR
Equipped Creature has Judgement and Deathtouch
Equip 7
In the name of the Arbiter, I, Trianna Voth, hereby sentence you to death!

Next: Another 7/7 for 7.

r2d2go
2015-01-28, 12:47 AM
Vaguely underwhelming is all I can say. One big problem with Judgement is that it's not a replacement effect, and thus doesn't get past Indestructible and the like - I think it'd be much improved with "...would die, instead..." instead of "...dies...". If that was the case, this would be much better, if still a lower power MR (sometimes is a bonus against synergies/effects, but most of the time functionally 7/7 for 7 that creates a very expensive to equip weapon that doesn't do all that much).

Omniscient Judge 4WUB
Artifact Creature - Sphinx MR
Flash, Flying
~ enters the battlefield with 7 +1/+1 counters.
T, Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Counter target spell unless its owner pays 3, draw a card, destroy target nonblack, nonartifact creature, or exile target permanent and return it to its owner's control at the end of the turn.
0/0

Challenge: Make a big card that belongs to a Shard.

Jormengand
2015-01-28, 12:56 AM
Oh jeez. Eat 21 mana (and more, and some cards) for 7? Ouch. Add in something with proliferate and you're eternally in the countering business without much hassle. The fact that you can just drop it and slam seven creatures HURTS, and even drawing 7 cards at instant speed isn't bad for the cost.

Veldan Council 4UPB
Creature - Human seer R
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, target player discards a card.
"I feel that our foes will not be as powerful nor as numerous as previously expected."
Jonah Cyrus, Veldan seer.
4/4

EDIT: Incidentally, I put a purple/idol FAQ in the first post, if anyone wants to read up on them.

Next: Create something else simple, but powerful.

Zaydos
2015-01-28, 01:10 AM
Veldan Council 4UPB
Creature - Human seer R
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, target player discards a card.
"I feel that our foes will not be as powerful nor as numerous as previously expected."
Jonah Cyrus, Veldan seer.
4/4

Really powerful with self discard effect + reanimate but not a top tier target even then. It forces your opponent to top deck which means it's good in mirror matches, but U/W isn't the best at cheating things in so that works. Looks pretty good.

Next: Create something else simple, but powerful.

Paradise Viper GGG
Creature - Snake MR
Deathtouch
The first time each turn that a land enters the battlefield under your control you may search your library for a card with the same name and put it onto the battlefield under your control tapped.
3/3

Challenge: Make a Spider Man.

r2d2go
2015-01-28, 01:36 AM
Oh jeez. Eat 21 mana (and more, and some cards) for 7? Ouch. Add in something with proliferate and you're eternally in the countering business without much hassle.

Oh jeez, I knew I forgot something :smalleek: the tap symbol :smalltongue:

Paradise Viper GGG
Creature - Snake MR
Deathtouch
The first time each turn that a land enters the battlefield under your control you may search your library for a card with the same name and put it onto the battlefield under your control tapped.
3/3

It's pretty strong, as expected of an MR. Lots of acceleration on an undercosted body. I might even bump it up one - it'd probably still be strong, considering with other acceleration you can drop it turn 3 and then your land to get immediate value.

Challenge: Make a Spider Man.

Arachnomancer 1BB
Creature - Human Shaman R
T, B, Discard a card: Put a 1/1 Black Spider with Deathtouch onto the battlefield.
Sacrifice 5 spiders you control: Transform Arachnomancer.
2/2

Hideous Drider
Creature - Human Spider R
Deathtouch, Infect, First Strike, Reach
2/7

Challenge: Make a Super Man :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2015-01-28, 02:50 AM
Hmm, your hand is black spiders for B? Okay, sure. Can't see anyone flipping him due to the massive card disadvantage of doing so.

Ubermensch 3PG
Creature - Human Soldier R
Paragon - If Ubermensch has the highest power among creatures you control, humans you control get +2/+2
You see this? This is a shining example of what every one of you could be!
3/3

Next: I feel obliged to ask you to make a bat man.

r2d2go
2015-01-28, 03:18 AM
Hmm, your hand is black spiders for B? Okay, sure. Can't see anyone flipping him due to the massive card disadvantage of doing so.

Ubermensch 3PG
Paragon - If Ubermensch has the highest power among creatures you control, humans you control get +2/+2
You see this? This is a shining example of what every one of you could be!
3/3

Next: I feel obliged to ask you to make a bat man.

It's a big, living anthem buff. I mean, I guess? This is more White's thing, both the human tribe and the anthem, but I guess it's fine. W/P or even just W would make more sense though.

Note that the spider guy can sac other spiders, not just the ones he makes, so Spider Spawning might basically make the Drider for 5 :smalltongue:

Child Who Will Be Dressed Like a Bat 2BB
Creature - Bat Human MR
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a Parent token on target creature. When a creature with a Parent token dies, transform ~
.5/.5

Man Dressed Like a Bat
Creature - Badass Human Bat MR
Flying, Deathtouch, First Strike, Vigilance, Indestructible
3/3

Change the name and make the first one a 1/1 for a more serious card :smalltongue:

Challenge: Make something that makes spiders.

Zaydos
2015-01-28, 03:31 AM
It's pretty strong, as expected of an MR. Lots of acceleration on an undercosted body. I might even bump it up one - it'd probably still be strong, considering with other acceleration you can drop it turn 3 and then your land to get immediate value.

Maybe 2GG so it can be used in more non-mono-Green decks.

Child Who Will Be Dressed Like a Bat 2BB
Creature - Bat Human MR
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a Parent token on target creature. When a creature with a Parent token dies, transform ~
.5/.5

Man Dressed Like a Bat
Creature - Badass Human Bat MR
Flying, Deathtouch, First Strike, Vigilance, Indestructible
3/3

Change the name and make the first one a 1/1 for a more serious card :smalltongue:

4 mana and killing something you want dead or saccing a creature in Black for 3/3 with 5 keywords including Indestructible and the First Strike-Deathtouch combo? You need a lot higher cost and a lot less ability to cheat it into play. I get what you're trying to do (memetic batman) but for a serious card the transformed form needs a good bit of a change (drop Indestructible to begin with).

Challenge: Make something that makes spiders.

Zameck Weaver 2GG
Creature - Spider Mutant R
Evolve, Reach
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on ~ put a 1/1 green Spider token with Reach onto the battlefield under your control.
2/4
"I made a giant spider... but they said it wasn't strong enough... Let them say that now!" - A sleep deprived guildmage

Challenge: Make a Giant Man.

Jormengand
2015-01-28, 04:53 AM
Huh. Spiders everywher. Probably okay.

Gonna take giant man as a man who pertains to giants.

Isaac Newton 2GG
Legendary creature - Human R
Humans you control get +1/+1 for each giant you control
If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
2/2

Next: Something else based on a quote; put the quote as the flavour text or the name if it fits.

Eldan
2015-01-28, 04:53 AM
Ooh. I love it. My kind of card. Also appropriately costed.

Inspired by The Sandman:

Long Man of the Hill

Land

~ comes into play tapped.

T: Add G to your mana pool

Whenever a creature is exiled or put from exile unto the battlefield, you may pay G. If you do, ~ becomes a 3/4 green giant until end of turn. It's still a land.

Challenge: something very small.

thatonesungod
2015-01-28, 08:13 AM
it seems.. okay unless your playing p or against p i dont expect it to trigger much in which case its a worse forest

Flashglow Fly 0(W)(white color indicator)
Creature-Elemental Insect U
W, Sacrifice Flashglow Fly: destroy target attacking or blocking creature
0/1
a creature made entirely of light, but the absence of mana, as such inducing mana creates a rather violent reaction
-Professor Wellsworth

make something with mind control

Ninjaman
2015-01-28, 08:28 AM
Too strong. 1 mana devine verdict with aditional synergies (revielark and sun titan come to mind.)

Master of Lies - 1UB
Creature - Human Wizard - R
When master of lies enters the battlefield you may gain control of target creature with converted mana cost two or less until master of lies leaves the battlefield.
Loyalty is an illusion, you serve the false ideals I want you to.
2/1

Create something competitive.

Zaydos
2015-01-28, 11:40 AM
Master of Lies - 1UB
Creature - Human Wizard - R
When master of lies enters the battlefield you may gain control of target creature with converted mana cost two or less until master of lies leaves the battlefield.
Loyalty is an illusion, you serve the false ideals I want you to.
2/1

A weaker Sower of Temptations but one that I could see being used in standard/block assuming there were powerful 2 drops to justify its use. It might end up getting shoved in the sideboard, though. That's not saying it's not reasonable (just not something likely to be $10 in modern... like most rares).

Create something competitive.

(I am taking this as a double meaning and will try to make something strong enough to see standard play at least and that's competitive lore-wise)

Yavimaya Brawler 1GG
Creature - Elf Warrior R
During each end step put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control which fought this turn.
G, T: Target creature you control fights target creature.
3/3

Challenge: Make something heroic.

mystic1110
2015-01-28, 11:56 AM
Ninja'd

Seems strong compared to threads of disloyalty.

Search for Spoiled Treasure 6B
Instant R
Delve
Search your library for a card, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it. You lose life equal to the amount of exiled cards you own.

Create a common worse than Chimney Imp but with a converted mana cost of 6 or less and with no more than twenty words in the rules text.

r2d2go
2015-01-28, 12:45 PM
It's pretty good. There are some cards that might synergize particularly well with this, but for the most part it'll just be a very strong card against aggro/white weenie, and a decent card against most everything else.

Heroism 1W
Enchantment - U
Enchanted creature gains Heroic - Whenever you cast a spell targeting this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

Challenge: Make something from an enemy colored guild (U/R, U/G, R/W, W/B, B/G).

mystic1110
2015-01-28, 12:56 PM
Heroic is already a week mechanic - making the aura 1W instead of W seems pretty bad - especially since it doesn't trigger itself.

Swords of Tradition RW
Instant - C
Target creature gains doublestrike
Whenever you gain life return ~ from your graveyard to your hand

Create a card that owes its allegiance to to two guilds.

Gandariel
2015-01-28, 01:20 PM
An instant with a permanent, undispellable effect is weird. How do you keep track of that? Also, you should probably make it to be " you MAY put it back in your hand ".

Anyways, it's too strong and complex to be a common. Everything has double strike, forever?

Two guilds....

Weak-willed Goblin 2R
Creature - Goblin C
~ has +0/+2 and Vigilance as long as you control a Plains.
~ has +2/+0 and " can't block" as long as you control a Forest .
2/2

Yes, the abilities are meant to be useless together. the idea is that in Boros he can be civilized etc, while Gruul makes him primitive.

Next, make a card that you may want to cast on yourself on your opponent, depending on the occasion.

r2d2go
2015-01-28, 01:37 PM
Are you sure you didn't want "as long as you control a forest" for the second ability? As-is, a 4/4 for 3 with a pretty easy condition is a bit too strong, and a bit too complex. This would probably be better as an uncommon even with Forest instead of Mountain.

Black Whispers BBB
Sorcery - R
Target player draws 4 cards and loses 6 life.

Challenge: Make something symmetrical.

mystic1110
2015-01-28, 02:46 PM
An instant with a permanent, undispellable effect is weird. How do you keep track of that? Also, you should probably make it to be " you MAY put it back in your hand ".

Gah - I forgot to put in - until end of turn :smallfrown:

Black Whispers looks good - I like it :smallsmile:

Split down the Middle 1W
Instant
Each player sacrifices a creature with even power. Each player who sacrificed a creature this way places two colorless tokens into play with power and toughness equal to half of the sacrificed creatures power.

Create something with the word "unless" in the rules text.

r2d2go
2015-01-28, 05:33 PM
Huh. I can see it being used, probably sideboard, in a white weenie deck, forcing your opponent to sacrifice their Courser for two 1/1s while generating more tokens for you to anthem buff. It's potentially very strong, but also not exactly reliable. A very strange card, but it's pretty cool and not quite OP - at least, not more than other hate/sideboard cards :smalltongue:

Crazed Blast-Runner 1RB
Creature - Human C
Volatile 1 (When ~ dies, deal 1 damage to each creature.)
3/1

Oh, shoot, I forgot that that was just the example for this card...

Lord of Destruction 2RB
Creature - Human Wizard R
Protection from Volatile, Persist
At the end of your turn, unless a creature has died, sacrifice ~.
Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Volatile X, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on ~.
2/2

Challenge: Make a four-color card.

Gandariel
2015-01-28, 05:41 PM
Are you sure you didn't want "as long as you control a forest" for the second ability? As-is, a 4/4 for 3 with a pretty easy condition is a bit too strong, and a bit too complex. This would probably be better as an uncommon even with Forest instead of Mountain.

yeah, I meant Forest.

Look at me, nitpicking at somebody else's mistake, and making one immediately thereafter. :P

The card seems.... really situational? I just can't think of good occasion when I would like to use it.

rUN LESS R
Instant - C (un)

Target creature loses Haste and First strike until the end of turn.

... yeah, I couldn't resist. Sorry.

next, make a card with an ability which can be activated by all players.

Zaydos
2015-01-28, 05:58 PM
Crazed Blast-Runner 1RB
Creature - Human C
Volatile 1 (When ~ dies, deal 1 damage to each creature.)
3/1

This should be an uncommon, and maybe a 2/1 at that. It's a potent weenie wipe and you won't use it if you use many weenies.

Challenge: Make a four-color card.

Selflessness 2(2/W)(2/U)(2/R)(2/G)
Creature - Incarnation MR
If ~ would be put into a graveyard, shuffle it into your library instead.
Whenever a creature you control other than ~ would be dealt damage prevent that damage and ~ deals that much damage to itself.
When ~ dies, if ~ dealt damage to itself this turn, reveal the top X cards of your library, put all lands revealed this way onto the battlefield tapped, and all instant and sorcery cards revealed this way into your hand, then put the remaining cards onto the bottom of your library in any order. X equals the number of creatures you control.
2/5

(no idea if that's balanced)

rUN LESS R
Instant - C (un)

Target creature loses Haste and First strike until the end of turn.

Wasn't the challenge specifically in the rules text :smalltongue:

next, make a card with an ability which can be activated by all players.

Quicksell Mercenary B
Creature - Human Mercenary U
~ enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
Pay X life: Gain control of ~ then put a +1/+1 counter on it. Any player may activate this ability but only during their Upkeep Phase and only once each turn.
(2/B)(2/B): Counter target activated ability of a card named ~. Any player may activate this ability.
2/2

Challenge: Make something that hates wizards.

mystic1110
2015-01-28, 06:05 PM
Quicksell Mercenary looks like fun but is very hard to evaluate. Might just end up being a 4/4 for B since whomever has the most life keeps him.

The other card looks good if also a bit confusing. I would say that it is fine since it takes 6 mana to cast and requires your opponent to perform certain actions.

Wizard Bane 3
Artifact - Equipment R
Equiped Creature has +3/+3 and Protection from Players who control a Wizard
Equip 2

Creature something that hates on Humans

Zaydos
2015-01-28, 06:06 PM
Quicksell Mercenary looks like fun but is very hard to evaluate. Might just end up being a 4/4 for B since whomever has the most life keeps him.

d'oh. I was originally going to make it a 2/2 then decided that it'd be easier to have it come in with 2 +1/+1 counters on it and cost things purely off of +1/+1 counters instead of 1 + X and I didn't fix the P/T in the end.

r2d2go
2015-01-28, 06:11 PM
That is pretty insane hate :smalltongue: playable in any set with a decent amount of wizards, mainboard if they're ubiquitous. Not much more I can say.

Hungry Peasant 1RG
Creature - Human Werewolf R
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Hungry Peasant.
T - ~ fights target creature. If it dies this turn and is not human, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
2/2

Voracious Werewolf
Creature - Werewolf R
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Voracious Werewolf.
T - ~ fights target creature. If it dies this turn and is human, ~ gains Doublestrike and Trample until end of turn.
4/4

Challenge: Something that doesn't hate anything :smalltongue:

mystic1110
2015-01-28, 06:15 PM
HAHAHA i love your card

Love You W
Instant
Tap target creature you control and target creature you don't control. If both creatures share a creature type place a 0/1 white token of that type onto the battlefield.
:smalleek:

Create something . . . . broken

thatonesungod
2015-01-28, 06:25 PM
obvious un card is obvious, but still hilarious

a potentially broken card which flavor comes fromResolute Archangel (http://magiccards.info/m15/en/28.html)

Resolute Rose 5WW
Enchantment MR
Whenever You would lose the game, instead dont lose the game gain 20 life, Remove up to ten poison counters from target player, and sacrifice resolute rose, then shuffle your graveyard and Each card you own that was exiled this game into your library

make a 1-up(mario style)

Eldan
2015-01-28, 06:28 PM
Cute. Quite good, though, for that cheap, you take out an enemy and produce a counter.

Broken Sword 2

Artefact - Equipment

Broken Sword comes into play with two Broken counters on it.

Equip: 1

Equipped creature has +1/+0 and "R, T: Remove a Broken counter from Broken Sword".

When there are no broken counters on Broken Sword, equipped creature has +2/+0 and first strike.

Make something peaceful.

Zaydos
2015-01-28, 06:49 PM
Resolute Rose 5WW
Enchantment MR
Whenever You would lose the game, instead dont lose the game gain 20 life, Remove up to ten poison counters from target player, and sacrifice resolute rose, then shuffle your graveyard and Each card you own that was exiled this game into your library

I'd say it's not any more broken than Lich's Mirror (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=174818). Harder to cast and stronger (since it doesn't shuffle your field) but I'm not sure if it's any more broken.

make a 1-up(mario style)

Green Mushroom 2G
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature, Flash

When ~ enters the battlefield you may draw a card.

Totem Armor (If enchanted creature would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy this Aura.)

Broken Sword 2

Artefact - Equipment

Broken Sword comes into play with two Broken counters on it.

Equip: 1

Equipped creature has +1/+0 and "R, T: Remove a Broken counter from Broken Sword".

When there are no broken counters on Broken Sword, equipped creature has +2/+0 and first strike.

Reasonable, neat concept.

Make something peaceful.

Pacifist Preacher 1WW
Creature - Human Cleric U
Prevent all damage dealt by ~.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield you may have that creature's controller gain 1 life.
Whenever a creature dies you may pay 1, if you do that creature's controller may Scry 2.
0/2

Challenge: Make something that hates peace.

Blue Ghost
2015-01-28, 07:54 PM
1-Up Mushroom is cute. Doesn't fit with the established flavor of totem aura though; could just as easily be an instant that regenerates. Though I suppose it does make a degree of sense for a 1-up to be an aura.
Pacifist Preacher's first ability is just trinket text; it doesn't really enhance gameplay, and I would remove it. Both its other abilities are quite good, and I do like that you can help out other players with them in multiplayer, but I wish there were a bit more symmetry between them. And scrying when a creature dies isn't something I would associate with a white preacher.

Warmongering Vizier 2R
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
When Warmongering Vizier enters the battlefield, choose another target creature.
The chosen creature gets +2/+0 and must attack each turn if able.
"Show them no mercy, my liege. Let the enemy know your might."
2/2

Next: Make a card that gives an opponent a choice.

mystic1110
2015-01-28, 08:03 PM
Huge memory issues for an uncommon - should be "next turn if able" and a +1/+1 counter instead of a +2/+0

Laughing Devil 1R
Creature - Devil R
When ~ ETB target opponent chooses one:

Each opponent sacrifices a land.
Each opponent discards a card at random
Laughing Devil gains haste and "At the beginning of your upkeep exile Laughing Devil. At the beginning of your next upkeep place Laughing Devil onto the battlefield under your control."

4/3

Create another Devil

Zaydos
2015-01-28, 08:18 PM
Laughing Devil 1R
Creature - Devil R
When ~ ETB target opponent chooses one:

Each opponent sacrifices a land.
Each opponent discards a card at random
Laughing Devil gains haste and "At the beginning of your upkeep exile Laughing Devil. At the beginning of your next upkeep place Laughing Devil onto the battlefield under your control."

4/3

Significantly undercosted. Compare vexing devil (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=278257) the obvious inspiration. Vexing devil gives the enemy a choice 4 damage now or a 4/3 creature. This means it's always the worst of the two. This is a 4/3 for 2 which exists only half the time and has haste. Honestly the third option is always the best choice for the opponent to select which is another problem. Also the middle effect is black not red.

Create another Devil

Hellburster Devil 1R
Creature - Devil U
When ~ enters the battlefield any opponent may sacrifice a land. If they do sacrifice ~.
3/2

Challenge: Make something silver. But not silver bordered.

r2d2go
2015-01-28, 08:40 PM
It's okay, though 3/2 for 2 is something you can get without a drawback. It could probably be 3/3 or without breaking anything, perhaps at RR... Eh, it's close enough :smalltongue:

I think mystic thought that by having the opponent choose, the opponent part would be pointed at you (and the flicker would mean that the opponent gets the devil). Under that interpretation, the caster has to discard a card, sac a land, or give the devil away, making it much more reasonable (and making the discard in-color).

Silver-Gilded Demon BB
Creature - Demon R
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, an opponent may exile it. If they do, put three Silver artifact tokens onto the battlefield with "Sacrifice Silver: Add B to your mana pool."
3/1

Challenge: Make something gold.

1pwny
2015-01-28, 09:21 PM
So either a 3/1 with flying or 3 extra mana? I'm not sure it warrants a rare, but it seems to unique to be common or uncommon. Decisions, decisions...

(O is for Gold)

Golden Sarcophagus - O
Artifact - Sarcophagus C
When ~ comes into play, put three time counters on it.
At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, remove a time counter from ~.
When all of ~'s time counters have been removed, put one creature from your graveyard into play.

Mineshaft
Basic Land - Mineshaft C
T, Tap another "Mindshaft" you control: Add O to your mana pool.

Note: Gold is meant to be expensive, and thus takes two lands for 1 O. However, its supposed to have stronger effects.

Challenge: More of this gold!

r2d2go
2015-01-28, 09:53 PM
For the love of god, please stop making new mana types :smalleek:

...mostly kidding. Still, colors are one of those things that I feel should probably stay constant. In fact, it might be the only thing - After all, it's what's on the back of every Magic card, and they can't change that.

On to actual cards... Mineshaft and the idea that you need two lands to get it seems like it makes gold impractical to use. Making it so that it bounces a land (like Karoo lands) might be better, so that you can play something that's not mono-gold.

In any case, the card itself is comparable to other reanimate effects. Not much else I can say - I feel most reanimate effects are potentially OP, but it's no worse than most of them.

Comprehensive Bribe OOO
Artifact - MR
OOO, sacrifice ~: You control target player during that player's next turn.

Challenge: Something normal.

Zaydos
2015-01-28, 10:07 PM
For the love of god, please stop making new mana types :smalleek:

...mostly kidding. Still, colors are one of those things that I feel should probably stay constant. In fact, it might be the only thing - After all, it's what's on the back of every Magic card, and they can't change that.

On to actual cards... Mineshaft and the idea that you need two lands to get it seems like it makes gold impractical to use. Making it so that it bounces a land (like Karoo lands) might be better, so that you can play something that's not mono-gold.

In any case, the card itself is comparable to other reanimate effects. Not much else I can say - I feel most reanimate effects are potentially OP, but it's no worse than most of them.

Still runs into problems with things that add a mana of any color to your mana pool.

Comprehensive Bribe OOO
Artifact - MR
OOO, sacrifice ~: You control target player during that player's next turn.

So worse Mindslaver... assuming you don't fuel it with "add mana of any color" effects... at which point it's an undercosted mindslaver.

Challenge: Something normal.

Ironwood Baloth 7G
Creature - Beast C
Trample
When the ground quakes in the forest, all other beasts flee.
8/8

Challenge: Make something properly gold in color. I.e. non-hybrid multicolor.

r2d2go
2015-01-29, 01:07 AM
It's... normal :smalltongue: I guess I should have expected this, with a challenge like that... a fine common.

Gruul Crasher 1RG
Creature - Human Warrior U
First Strike, Trample
Crash: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature. (Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, if it was blocked this turn, trigger Crash).
2/1

Challenge: Make something that belongs to a guild. Bonus points if you use one of the keywords I made:
Azorius: Delay (target) X - Exile (target) spell with X time counters. At the beginning of each of the current player's turns, remove a time counter. If there are no time counters on ~, its controller may cast it without paying its mana cost.
Basically, Delay, but now you can use it on anything! :smalltongue: I liked the idea that as long as the bureaucrats can get to the thing in time, they can delay it.

Orzhov: Tithe (cost) - Your opponent may pay (cost) to counter ~. (Often has "If your opponent pays the Tithe, [effect])
Seemed in flavor with Orzhov. This is kind of anti-not-control, since mostly control keeps mana open, and thus leaves Orzhov to play aggressively costed creatures to attack control.

Boros: Glory X (effect) - If this and at least X other creatures deal combat damage this turn, (effect).
Basically encourages as much combat as possible, which I felt was very Boros :smallbiggrin: Often an effect to punish blocking, since that adds to the Glory counter.

Selesnya: Unity X (effect) - If at least X creatures you control attack or block together, (effect).
I felt this fit Selesnya flavor if not deck type, and deck types are flexible anyway :smalltongue: favors protecting single creatures or buffing all creatures for attack/defense.

Dimir: Skulk (Cost) - Whenever ~ attacks and is not blocked, you may pay (cost). If you do, (effect).
A bit like more flexible Ninjitsu, which was already U/B, so I figured it's good.

Izzet: Chaos X - When you cast this spell, flip X coins. (Cards will have additional effects per head, tail, or coin flip this turn).
Lends to spamming a lot of Chaos spells in one turn, which is kind of Izzet's thing.

Simic: Mutate X (cost) - You may play this creature for its Mutate cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters and is Mutated.
This is both for late-game where it costs more and so you drop it for more, as well as a few where the mutate cost is less but has a drawback (e.g. dies when it takes damage, or can't attack)

Rakdos: Volatile X (effect) - When ~ dies, deal X damage to each creature you control, then (effect).
Yes, this makes huge chain reactions of dying creatures. Many creatures (lords, other leader figures) will have immunity to this, or some way to mitigate it (Persist, Undying, Unearth)

Golgari: Wallow X - Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, you may exile a card from your graveyard. If you do, it gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
Like delve, but for P/T instead of mana.

Gruul: Crash (Effect) - Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, if it was blocked this turn, (effect).
Intended for trampling as well as creature-based burn that triggers this specifically (e.g. damage equal to creature power or toughness, as well as equipment/enchantments that use the creature to deal damage).

Zaydos
2015-01-29, 01:38 AM
Gruul Crasher 1RG
First Strike, Trample
Crash: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature. (Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, if it was blocked this turn, trigger Crash).
2/1

A nice card, and a printable uncommon, but Crash is bad as a Gruul keyword because it requires Trample to work. It's a nice effect just not a good guild keyword.

Challenge: Make something that belongs to a guild. Bonus points if you use one of the keywords I made:
Azorius: Delay (target) X - Exile (target) spell with X time counters. At the beginning of each of the current player's turns, remove a time counter. If there are no time counters on ~, its controller may cast it without paying its mana cost.
Basically, Delay, but now you can use it on anything! :smalltongue: I liked the idea that as long as the bureaucrats can get to the thing in time, they can delay it.

Orzhov: Tithe (cost) - Your opponent may pay (cost) to counter ~. (Often has "If your opponent pays the Tithe, [effect])
Seemed in flavor with Orzhov. This is kind of anti-not-control, since mostly control keeps mana open, and thus leaves Orzhov to play aggressively costed creatures to attack control.

Boros: Glory X (effect) - If this and at least X other creatures deal combat damage this turn, (effect).
Basically encourages as much combat as possible, which I felt was very Boros :smallbiggrin: Often an effect to punish blocking, since that adds to the Glory counter.

Selesnya: Unity X (effect) - If at least X creatures you control attack or block together, (effect).
I felt this fit Selesnya flavor if not deck type, and deck types are flexible anyway :smalltongue: favors protecting single creatures or buffing all creatures for attack/defense.

Dimir: Skulk (Cost) - Whenever ~ attacks and is not blocked, you may pay (cost). If you do, (effect).
A bit like more flexible Ninjitsu, which was already U/B, so I figured it's good.

Izzet: Chaos X - When you cast this spell, flip X coins. (Cards will have additional effects per head, tail, or coin flip this turn).
Lends to spamming a lot of Chaos spells in one turn, which is kind of Izzet's thing.

Simic: Mutate X (cost) - You may play this creature for its Mutate cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters and is Mutated.
This is both for late-game where it costs more and so you drop it for more, as well as a few where the mutate cost is less but has a drawback (e.g. dies when it takes damage, or can't attack)

Rakdos: Volatile X (effect) - When ~ dies, deal X damage to each creature you control, then (effect).
Yes, this makes huge chain reactions of dying creatures. Many creatures (lords, other leader figures) will have immunity to this, or some way to mitigate it (Persist, Undying, Unearth)

Golgari: Wallow X - Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, you may exile a card from your graveyard. If you do, it gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
Like delve, but for P/T instead of mana.

Gruul: Crash (Effect) - Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, if it was blocked this turn, (effect).
Intended for trampling as well as creature-based burn that triggers this specifically (e.g. damage equal to creature power or toughness, as well as equipment/enchantments that use the creature to deal damage).

I'll go with Skulk since it seems the most functional as a guild keyword.

Crash I already mentioned the problem. Volatile you point out the problem with but your counters fail against a chain, and/or are things that would not exist in block (non-evergreen keywords). Wallow just isn't strategic enough and after Scavenge which worked better for Simic Golgari needs something good. Mutate is an effect I love, but despite being +1/+1 counters doesn't feel Simic and doesn't play like a Simic strategy, evolve and graft both built off of counters where as mutate works only from being activated and ends up a parasitic effect; you might do better to change it to not mattering if they were mutated and just put mutate on things that have effects if they have +1/+1 counters. Chaos just gets out of hand (storm elements) and you don't want that many random effects in a set, you get a few instead (Probability storm and the goblin everyone hated enough that people were giving them to me as a joke). Unity... actually works just fine, though block together usually means the same enemy where I think you mean at once. Glory... is similar to Unity (too similar actually) but looks like it'd break faster/worse since it registers enemy creatures too. Tithe I think works, though I'd make tithe a standard amount (like with Extort) and make it be an additional rider "Unless an opponent pays Tithe..." such as creatures coming in bigger, etc. Delay makes detain look worthless (delaying an instant can make it worthless, detaining a creature means unless you can do something bigger they lost a turn with it) and is stronger than bouncing a spell (detaining a creature is strictly worse than bouncing one; hence detain 2 creatures 1W, bounce 2 2UU). Some of these actually are really good starts (Mutate, Tithe, Skulk, Unity), but they need work... well ok Skulk just seems so very Dimir... except they like unblockable creatures which you wouldn't put skulk on unless... I know what I'm making.

Blessing of Whispers 1UU
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains +1/+1 and "Skulk 1U: Whenever this creature attacks and is not blocked, you may pay 1U. If you do, draw two cards."

Probably too much draw.

Challenge: Something that really feels Simic.

mystic1110
2015-01-29, 11:09 AM
That is a lot of draw - but I think all the restrictions should allow it for an uncommon (aura, must not be blocked, cost associated with the ability)

Forced Evolution GU
Instant
Exile target creature. Then choose one:

That creature's controller may place a 1/1 blue green lizard mutant token onto the battlefield.
That creature's controller may place a 4/4 blue green Beast mutant token onto the battlefield.

Create something with Hellbent.

Ionbound
2015-01-29, 11:25 AM
Seems useful. Definitely along the lines of similar Polymorph/Beast Within effects, though I think turning an enemy creature into a 1/1 might be a bit much.

Future of Pain-2RR

Instant-R

Reveal the top card of your deck, then deal damage equal to it's CMC to target creature or player, then put it into your graveyard.

Hellbent-Put the revealed card into your hand instead.

Challenge: Create a non-black vampire.

mystic1110
2015-01-29, 11:29 AM
The Hellbent reward of making it a cantrip seems . . . . not like much of a reward. . . .

Black Ribboner 2WW
Creature - Vampire U
Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ would be put into a graveyard from the battlefield instead exile it and return it to the battlefield under its controllers control.
T: Deal 1 damage to target creature, gain 1 life.
4/4

Reference to terry pratchet vampire that gave up feeding for blood.

Can't kill anything, but can save your creatures :smalltongue:

Create a black non-rat samurai without Bushido.

r2d2go
2015-01-29, 12:43 PM
The Hellbent reward of making it a cantrip seems . . . . not like much of a reward. . . .

Black Ribboner 2WW
Creature - Vampire U
Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ would be put into a graveyard from the battlefield instead exile it and return it to the battlefield under its controllers control.
T: Deal 1 damage to target creature, gain 1 life.
4/4

Reference to terry pratchet vampire that gave up feeding for blood.

Can't kill anything, but can save your creatures :smalltongue:

Create a black non-rat samurai without Bushido.

Pretty decent for an uncommon. An 0/4 blocker with "t - regenerate target creature" (except it works with sac effects, ETB and LTB) and sometimes will swing unblocked and damage a player for 4. It's alright in limited and could find a synergy/combo deck for constructed.

Black Samurai BB
Creature - Human Not-Rat U
First Strike
~ cannot gain Bushido.
2/1

Challenge: Something tricolor.

Zaydos
2015-01-29, 01:02 PM
Black Samurai BB
Creature - Human Not-Rat U
First Strike
~ cannot gain Bushido.
2/1

Could be a common. Black gets higher toughness than power now :smallsigh:

Challenge: Something tricolor.

Loxodon Myrmidon 3WBR
Creature - Loxodon Mercenary R
Lifelink, First Strike
Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, you may search your library for a mercenary with a converted mana cost of 4 or less and put it onto the battlefield.
6/4

Challenge: Make a Black, Red, and/or White Mercenary (no other colors).

mystic1110
2015-01-29, 01:10 PM
Ooooh I like the mercenary flavor

Mutating Mercenary RWB
Creature - Human Mercenary U
UG: Mutating Mercenary becomes a blue green Beast with a base power and toughness of 7/7.
3/3

Using the new base language

make a monocolored card.

Jormengand
2015-01-29, 01:19 PM
Aren't they normally ordered WBR? Anyway, even a vanilla 7/7 for 3+2 scares me a lot. Imagine dumping Gift of Orzhova on it.

Otherworld Legionary 2PP
Creature - Purgator C
Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature would die, exile it instead.)
4/4

Taking R2's tip of making it a replacement effect. Take that, indestructible!

Next: Another common. Bonus for purple commons.

Zaydos
2015-01-29, 01:29 PM
Otherworld Legionary 2PP
Creature - Purgator C
Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature would die, exile it instead.)
4/4

Taking R2's tip of making it a replacement effect. Take that, indestructible!

First it fails to get around indestructible because

702.12b. A permanent with indestructible can't be destroyed. Such permanents aren't destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the state-based action that checks for lethal damage.

Second a creature on/above curve for a 4 drop at common shouldn't be getting around indestructible in the first place, it actually works better as a means of getting around graveyard shenanigans than as something to get around indestructible.

Next: Another common. Bonus for purple commons.

Khadev Poisonblade 3B
Creature - Human Mercenary C
Deathtouch
2/4
The warriors of Khadev place a deadly poison on their blades, one nick will bring down even a Irvalian dragon

Challenge: Make a dragon from Irvalia. Irvalia is Red. Potentially Red and another non-Black color.

Jormengand
2015-01-29, 01:39 PM
First it fails to get around indestructible because

702.12b. A permanent with indestructible can't be destroyed. Such permanents aren't destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the state-based action that checks for lethal damage.

True enough, though there's nothing to stop you instant-speed destroying target creature when a Judgement creature is fighting/blocking/blocked by it.

Zaydos
2015-01-29, 02:00 PM
True enough, though there's nothing to stop you instant-speed destroying target creature when a Judgement creature is fighting/blocking/blocked by it.

Still doesn't because the first half "Can't be destroyed" so it wouldn't die so there's no event to replace. Which is again actually a good thing. The ability has a place, it doesn't need to be getting around indestructible. If you wanted an ability to get around indestructible it would be as simple as "whenever ~ deals damage to a creature equal to or greater than that creature's toughness exile that creature." (for a deathtouch version "whenever ~ deals damage to a creature exile that creature"), but while I've tried that one before in the last thread, it's not actually a good design except maybe on a single (mythic) rare in the set; even the indestructible avoiding ability is... well it's just awkward, because it's not like wither which gets around indestructible and is just generally useful, but it's a counter for something that's a high cost ability because it's hard to counter and therefore still can't be something given out easily.

Jormengand
2015-01-29, 04:48 PM
Ugh. Didn't really want to answer this challenge, but...

Well, your creature is fine. Sure. Roughly what I was looking for.

Irvalian Devourer 3PR
Creature - Dragon U
Flying, Judgement
R: Irvalian Devourer gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
4/4

Next: An uncommon that feels very much like an uncommon.

mystic1110
2015-01-29, 05:21 PM
Next time you use a keyword you made up or someone else did - give us its reminder text as well. That said - I don't think judgments ability makes thematic sense - why would judgment exile instead of kill a creature?

Also stop using purple. . . . i know its your pet color, but really to the rest of us - we have no clue what its color identity is , what it does, why it does stuff, why there is even a need for a 6th color, who its enemies are, why do other colors have new enemies and allies, what enemy and allies even mean with 6 colors. Everything purple does can be done by other colors - for example Judgement is a Red Effect. So Judging this card as a 3RR card - I think it is fine, although strickly better than shivan dragon.

If you want to do purple properly - well . . . you have to come up with a mythology for it - tell us what it adds to the game, how it changes the game - its a color that has no history so whenever you make a one of card we are judging that card in a complete vacume - it really doesn't have a place in this type of contest. It might be cool however to simply make another thread where we can think about what purple could be. We can then argue on what effects it should have. For example, I know you mentioned and referenced exile - but I don't see how "City" is involved in exile. At best I could see blue losing its artifact dominion and Purple becoming the "artifact" color, but that's about it. Unless you take away from the other colors, purple doesn't really have an identity. Even if you do argue exile - I don't think exiling this should be a common ability anyway. The exile zone is supposed to be special.

Anyway. . . .

Punch into Wisdom 4GG
Sorcery U
Draw 3 Cards and reveal your hand. If you revealed 3 creatures this way, draw another card.

Create a black card.

Zaydos
2015-01-29, 05:38 PM
Punch into Wisdom 4GG
Sorcery U
Draw 3 Cards and reveal your hand. If you revealed 3 creatures this way, draw another card.

I like it. I think it's weaker than Grim Flowering and could be 5G, or even 3GG (compare Harmonize). But it definitely feels Green and 4GG would be an acceptable cost for it (Harmonize is colorshifted after all and Grim Flowering can be worse). In other words it'd have a place in limited and casual, but I wouldn't use it because I have better Green draw (which is what power level MOST uncommons should be)

Create a black card.

Graveborn Mercenary 1BB
Creature - Zombie Mercenary U
Put a -1/-1 counter on ~: Regenerate ~.
2/2
"Loyal to the grave and beyond, as long as we're paid" - Plague Fangs Company Motto

Challenge: Something which cycles.

Jormengand
2015-01-29, 05:52 PM

I put purple information in the OP for anyone who wants to know what it is, who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Anyhow...

Graveborn Mercenary might be better served with persist, but it's okay.

Choices, choices! WUBRG
Sorcery - Arcane R (Un)
Splice onto Arcane, Cycling 3, Multikicker W/B|U/R|G/2, Conversion WUBRG (WUBRG, reveal ~ from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~)
Choose one:
- Exile two target creatures
- Draw 3 cards
- Each creature target opponent controls gets -3/-3 until end of turn.
- Deal 5 damage to target player and each creature they control.
- Creatures you control get +3/+3 until end of turn.
For each time ~ was kicked, choose another.
Second Wind - If you've already cast a spell this turn, choose another.

Next: Another overdone un-card. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2015-01-29, 08:13 PM
Choices, choices! WUBRG
Sorcery - Arcane R (Un)
Splice onto Arcane, Cycling 3, Multikicker W/B|U/R|G/2, Conversion WUBRG (WUBRG, reveal ~ from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~)
Choose one:
- Exile two target creatures
- Draw 3 cards
- Each creature target opponent controls gets -3/-3 until end of turn.
- Deal 5 damage to target player and each creature they control.
- Creatures you control get +3/+3 until end of turn.
For each time ~ was kicked, choose another.
Second Wind - If you've already cast a spell this turn, choose another.

7 mana effect. 4 mana effect. One sided fieldwipe at least comparable to Mizzium Mortars overloaded (probably 7 drop). Better Flamewave (7 mana, 4 colored, effect). 4 mana effect. Some of these might work as a WUBRG spell in power, or weakened options might work, but as it is it's too easy to get two of the options (second wind/multikicker), or use it every turn (conversion), also normally multikicker effects are built where they can be used transfinite times where this can only be kicked 4 times before you run out of options.

Next: Another overdone un-card. :smalltongue:

I'm assuming you mean something else in the vein of Old Fogey/Blast from the Past so

It Just Won't Leave 3BB
Creature - Skeleton
Indestructible, Persist, Undying
~ cannot be exiled
1B: Regenerate ~
2BBB: If ~ is in your graveyard put it onto the battlefield tapped. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.
1/1

(bonus points if you figure out a way to kill it permanently after it has hit the field)

Challenge: Make something with retrace (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+%5B%22Retrace%22%5D&special=true), or inspired by one of these cards: Cover of Darkness (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=40129), Consumptive Goo (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=47029), or Dredge (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=24124)... and no it doesn't need to be Black.

Jormengand
2015-01-29, 08:35 PM
Target creature loses all abilities UEOT and exile target creature.

Evict P
Sorcery - U
Exile target creature or land you control.
Draw a card.
You have failed. Who's next?

Next: A rare that feels rare.

thatonesungod
2015-01-29, 08:39 PM
hit it with pacify.... or like tap it, it doesnt untap durring its controllers untap step, or mind control

Relentless Shields 2WW
Instant R
Blocking creatures get +6/+6 until end of turn
Retrace(you may cast this card from your graveyard by paying its mana cost and discarding a land)

see Hold the Line (http://magiccards.info/ddn/en/66.html) for inspiration

make the beginning of a story that has nothing to do with a magic the gathering set or any other published story(you dont have to do a search, but jor last time decided to make a card based off "cyan" i think and i want original IP :)

Jormengand
2015-01-29, 09:04 PM
Seems really powerful - essentially wrath, plus Lifelink (or I guess judgement) shenanigans.

And that one was "Yellow." :smalltongue:

Eisenhafen
Legendary Land - R
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
At the start of your upkeep, put a 2/2 white warship creature token into play under your control and a 1/1 black pirate creature token into play under target opponent's control.
What they do not tell you is that Eisenhafen is also the centre of the Iron Empire's criminal underworld.

Next: An MR that feels MR. :smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2015-01-29, 10:08 PM
Eisenhafen
Legendary Land - R
At the start of your upkeep, put a 2/2 white warship creature token into play under your control and a 1/1 black pirate creature token into play under target opponent's control.
What they do not tell you is that Eisenhafen is also the centre of the Iron Empire's criminal underworld.

Effect would be a 4 drop enchantment, probably not the best fit on a land. It is, at least, an interesting attempt however, but should have been "T" or "1, T".

Next: An MR that feels MR. :smallbiggrin:

Power, uniqueness, and legend... the last especially is difficult in this case...

A planeswalker could do it

Laughing Tom 2UUR
Planeswalker - Tom MR
+1: Put a 1/1 Blue and Red Horror creature token with “this creature can’t be blocked” onto the battlefield under your control.
-2: Until the end of turn each time you cast an instant or sorcery spell you may tap a target creature. Creatures tapped this way do not untap during their controller’s next untap step.
-7: For each permanent target player controls flip a coin. If you win the coin flip you gain control of that permanent.

But that's half cheating...

Timequake 2UR
Sorcery MR
Flip a coin. If you win both flip target player takes an extra turn after this one. If you lose the flip target player skips their next untap step.
"Time shakes. Heads I win. Tails you lose," - Laughing Tom

Lacks the full legend I'd like but hopefully still works.

Challenge: Make something with Ripple (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+%5Bripple%5D)

Fortuna
2015-01-29, 10:52 PM
Wording issues make this useless - you want "Choose two target players and flip two coins. If you win both flips, the first target player takes an extra turn after this one. Otherwise, the second target player skips their next untap step." As you had it worded originally, both effects targeted the same player!

Ripple. Ripple is... bad. It's a lot of text for a very swingy effect that behaves strangle with deck sizes. Tricky challenge.

Surging Knowledge 3U
Enchantment - R
Ripple 3
Whenever you cast a spell with Ripple, you may scry X, where X is the value of Ripple that spell has.

Make something red that taps into the more artistic side - getting at the more creative and less destructive elements that don't come out on the cards so much.

Jormengand
2015-01-30, 07:10 AM
Huh. It's weird, because there's no real reason you'd want to have more than one down (there's such a thing as "Enough scrying") so the ripple on it seems weird, but... okay, sure.

Flash of Inspiration PR
Instant - R
Add a random card from your exile zone to your hand.
Aha! I've got an idea!

Next: Something blue and destructive.

thatonesungod
2015-01-30, 08:12 AM
its... well its purple all right i would bump it up another mana but its rare so????

Disbelieve Reality 2UUPP
Enchantment R
Each Creature is an illusion in addition to its other types
Each creature gains the ability, whenever this creature would be targeted by a spell or ability sacrifice it
prevent all damage that would be dealt by illusions
I Dont Believe It
-Kelvoran, dreamshaper, last words

make something white which is hateful

Jormengand
2015-01-30, 08:40 AM
So basically "Creature decks can't play the game unless they have enchantment removal or a counterspell handy"?

Prejudicial Decree 3WW
Enchantment - R
When you cast Prejudicial Decree, choose a colour.
You and permanents you control have protection from that colour.

Next: Nongreen purple that is natural, nonpurple green that is unnatural, or nonwhite black that is good.

mystic1110
2015-01-30, 09:50 AM
Ummm - that seems impossibly strong. Basically Iona's ability - for only 5 mana. Doesn't matter that it doesn't come with any power - all your creatures are basically indestructible and unblockable. It even protects itself

Reformed Sinner B
Creature - Human C
At the beginning of your upkeep each opponent gains 1 life and you lose 1 life.
How could I repay the grief that I have caused?
2/2

Create a green sorcery that does not have the words: creature, life, or land in the rules text.

Zaydos
2015-01-30, 12:55 PM
Reformed Sinner B
Creature - Human C
At the beginning of your upkeep each opponent gains 1 life and you lose 1 life.
How could I repay the grief that I have caused?
2/2

Weaker than the black 2/2 zombie for B that came in tapped, the fluff seems more white than black, though.

Create a green sorcery that does not have the words: creature, life, or land in the rules text.

Return to Purity 2GG
Sorcery
Destroy all artifacts and enchantment.

(Purify (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=25554) is 1 more, but so is Fracturing Gust (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386290) which is easier to cast in Green/White, an instant, and includes life gain)

Challenge: Make something with Recover (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+%5Brecover%5D).

mystic1110
2015-01-30, 01:06 PM
I think that card is fine. Don't really know why it isn't made yet.

Memory of a Loved One 1W
Instant U
Place a 1/1 white spirit token with flying that is an enchantment onto the battlefield.
Recover - Sacrifice an enchantment (When a creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may sacrifice an enchantment. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, exile this card.)

Create an enchantment creature

thatonesungod
2015-01-30, 01:57 PM
seems, fine cast it early for a wenie flyer, cast it late and clear some of your board for a flying army

Binding Apparition (W/U)
the picture: a man struggling in chains(made of Nyx) while a girl made of Nyx looks on laughing
Bestow 1WU
If Binding Apparition is an Enchantment enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and doesn't untap durring its controllers untap step
Binding Apparition doesn't untap durring its controllers untap step
(W/U): untap Binding Apparition or the creature it's Enchanting
1/1
Vengeful sprites, but quite lazy in truth, just dont give one the opportunity to do anything nasty
-Melvix, Recorder

Make a fairy

r2d2go
2015-01-30, 02:05 PM
I think that card is fine. Don't really know why it isn't made yet.

Memory of a Loved One 1W
Instant U
Place a 1/1 white spirit token with flying that is an enchantment onto the battlefield.
Recover - Sacrifice an enchantment (When a creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may sacrifice an enchantment. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, exile this card.)

Create an enchantment creature

"1/1 white spirit enchantment creature token", I think. It's alright, though - Recover is pretty terrible in this case - a 1/1 flier is very rarely worth 2 mana more than another enchantment. Lastly, the exile is mostly unnecessary, basically making it so you only get one chance to use Recover. Still, interesting mechanic.

Edit: Ninja'd but I can just change the type :smalltongue:

Watcher of the Stars 3WW
Enchantment Creature - Spirit Fairy R
Defender, Flying
Other enchantments you control gain Hexproof.
Whenever a nontoken creature dies, put a 1/1 spirit enchantment creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
1/4

Challenge: Make something asleep.

thatonesungod
2015-01-30, 02:10 PM
and critique my card.... right

r2d2go
2015-01-30, 02:15 PM
and critique my card.... right

Yeah, gimme more than 30 seconds, please :smallannoyed:

It's too flexible, IMO. It locks things down blue style for 3, or gives a creature a buff and pseudo-vigilance, or acts as a pseudo-vigilant base for buffs. Normally you pay for such flexibility with increased cost. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

Zaydos
2015-01-30, 02:18 PM
"1/1 white spirit enchantment creature token", I think. It's alright, though - Recover is pretty terrible in this case - a 1/1 flier is very rarely worth 2 mana more than another enchantment. Lastly, the exile is mostly unnecessary, basically making it so you only get one chance to use Recover. Still, interesting mechanic.

The exile is just how recover works (it's one of the flaws in the mechanic).

Watcher of the Stars 3WW
Enchantment Creature - Spirit Fairy R
Defender, Flying
Other enchantments you control gain Hexproof.
Whenever a creature dies, put a 1/1 spirit enchantment creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
1/4

Doesn't feel White. Granting things hexproof is more Green or Blue, and putting into play tokens could be Green, while spirit and fairy are both Blue subtypes, I'd have made this 3GU instead. Also it needs the standard boiler plate "Whenever a non-token creature dies," to prevent it from forming infinite combos with a single other card too easily, and probably a "that you control." Actually as is, this card turns a Day of Judgment into a one sided field wipe that gives you creatures (because of how simultaneous deaths work).

Challenge: Make something asleep.

Hibernating Bear G
Creature - Bear C
~ does not untap during your untap step.
G: Untap ~. Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only once per turn.
2/2

Challenge: Create a dragon with reinforce (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+%5Breinforce%5D).

mystic1110
2015-01-30, 02:49 PM
I like it a lot! Seems like an interesting common

Symbol of the Revolution 4RW
Creature - Dragon Soldier R
Flying, Vigilance.
Reinforce 4 — 4RW (4RW, Discard this card: Put four +1/+1 counters on target creature.)
If ~ is in your graveyard, creatures with four or more +1/+1 counters on them have Flying and Vigilance
4/4

Create something with suspend.

Jormengand
2015-01-30, 03:10 PM
Huh. Clever idea, though it makes Simic decks really want it which is odd.

Comet of Cassandora
Sorcery - R
Suspend 1 - 1RR
If you would remove a time counter from Comet of Cassandora, you may put a power counter on it instead.
Comet deals X damage to up to X target creatures or players, where X is the number of power counters it had.

Next: Another spell based on another game.

1pwny
2015-01-30, 03:28 PM
Seeing as it has CMC of 3, it should be quite a while before it gets super-OP. I'm very scared of it anyways, though.

Ray of Frost - 0
Sorcery - C
~ is Blue.
Deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
Cantrip (as you cast this card, exile it. Return it to your hand at the beginning of your next Upkeep.)
An actual D&D Cantrip!

Challenge: More of the same, but make it do something not-normal-MTG, like this.

Jormengand
2015-01-30, 03:48 PM
So you basically get an emblem which tims? That's very not blue and that's very not CMC 0 and that's very not common. Also storm/when you cast a spell enabler. Not fun.

Raktaba'an 2UPB
Planeswalker - Raktaba'an MR
+1: This turn, when you cast a spell, add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.
-3: Shuffle target permanent into its owner's library.
-10: For each permanent target opponent controls, put a token into play that's a copy of that permanent.

Next: Another planeswalker.

Zaydos
2015-01-30, 03:56 PM
Raktaba'an 2UPB
Planeswalker - Raktaba'an MR
+1: This turn, when you cast a spell, add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.
-3: Shuffle target permanent into its owner's library.
-10: For each permanent target opponent controls, put a token into play that's a copy of that permanent.

+1 is a little on the weak side. -3 is reasonable, maybe a little strong with it starting at 5 loyalty. -10 is pretty strong, but won't win it for you in a single turn and requires enough build up it's reasonable, I'd really only use this for it's -3 or maybe +1.

Next: Another planeswalker.

Since I made one for a challenge where I called it cheating I'm going to recycle it here Actually since each and every ability it possessed is problematic I won't use that one. I will try and fix it.

Laughing Tom 2UUR
Planeswalker - Tom MR
+1: Put a 1/1 red and blue Horror creature token with "whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn" onto the battlefield.
-2: Until end of turn whenever you cast an Instant or Sorcery spell draw a card.
-7: For each permanent target player controls flip a coin. If you win the coin flip for a permanent you gain control of that permanent.

Challenge: Make a card that would be used in a deck with Tom.

Jormengand
2015-01-30, 04:16 PM
Hmm. Actually a little like Rakta in some ways. Anyway, it's cool, and I'd play it in UPR cantrips. :smalltongue:

Imminent Return UP
Sorcery - R
Cast target permanent spell you control on the battlefield without paying its mana cost.
Guess who's back!

So... casts two spells for UP and one card, which means Tom should be having a field day and Rakta will be laughing his head off.

Next: Something which would counter a purple deck but never mentions purple or exile.

r2d2go
2015-01-31, 02:33 PM
Hmm. Actually a little like Rakta in some ways. Anyway, it's cool, and I'd play it in UPR cantrips. :smalltongue:

Imminent Return UP
Sorcery - R
Cast target permanent spell you control on the battlefield without paying its mana cost.
Guess who's back!

So... casts two spells for UP and one card, which means Tom should be having a field day and Rakta will be laughing his head off.

Next: Something which would counter a purple deck but never mentions purple or exile.

It's... Confusing? :smalltongue: from what I understand, this simply triggers cast effects while acting as a flicker. Not necessarily bad, but not sure if it's enough to make it not flicker and thus white with a small side of blue.

I'll take a stab at this, though I'm not sure how balanced it is...

Somnus 3UUU
Creature - Elemental Incarnation MR
Whenever another creature would leave the battlefield, it instead is tapped.
Other creatures that are tapped do not untap during their owner's untap step, and are Silenced. (Treat their text box and any attached cards or counters as blank.)
U - Untap Somnus.
6/6

Edit: Might be better as a God, though the text box explodes :smalltongue: makes the defender more vulnerable to a final strike from an aggressive deck, but better secures victory due to indestructible.

Somnus 3UUU
Creature - God MR
Indestructible
Somnus is not a creature as long as your devotion to blue is less than 6.
Other creatures that are tapped do not untap during their owner's untap step, and are Silenced. (Treat their text box and any attached cards or counters as blank.)
U - Untap Somnus.
6/6

Challenge: Another Elemental Incarnation. Or a god, actually.

Zaydos
2015-01-31, 03:18 PM
Somnus 3UUU
Creature - God MR
Indestructible
Somnus is not a creature as long as your devotion to blue is less than 6.
U - Untap Somnus.
6/6

Should be an enchantment creature to better allow it to be exiled, to be in keeping with other gods, and so it has a type when it's not a creature. I also think silencing any creature that attacks and tap locking it is probably too strong especially on an indestructible card. Also needs to be legendary. Also looking at all the official gods none have more than 1 mana of any given color in their mana cost so Somnus probably should require devotion 7 instead of 6 (2 more than normal instead of 1 more than normal).

Challenge: Another Elemental Incarnation. Or a god, actually.

Oryn, Plane Mother 4G
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
Indestructible, Trample
As long as your devotion to green is less than five, Oryn isn't a creature. (Each Green in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to green.)
Whenever a non-token creature you control dies put 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens equal to its toughness onto the battlefield.
5/5

Challenge: Create the soul of a plane (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&name=+%5Bsoul%5D+%5Bof%5D&set=+%5B%22Magic%202015%20Core%20Set%22%5D).

Jormengand
2015-01-31, 03:38 PM
Hmm... looks like it might get out of hand remarkable quickly, especially if you start convoking stuff up. Being cheap for a god, it concerns me.

I believe you knew this would happen:

Soul of the Otherworld 4PP
Creature - Avatar MR
3PP: Cast target spell you own in exile without paying its mana cost.
3PP, Exile Soul of the Otherworld from your graveyard: Cast target spell you own in exile without paying its mana cost.
6/6

Next: A card that would help purple, but isn't - and doesn't mention - purple (There's information on purple in the OP, but it plays lots of cards, draws lots of cards and synergises with exile).

1pwny
2015-01-31, 03:46 PM
Welp, its a god. I just looked up the actual gods, and the only thing I can really say is this: generally, the monocolored gods had mana effects while the multicolored had triggered abilities. But I'm against discrimination, so meh.

I'm retrying this!

Soul of Alara - 1WUBRG
Creature - Avatar MR
Domain (this creature gets +1/+1 for every basic land type among lands you control.
WUBRG: Choose one-

Return up to three cards from your graveyard to your hand.
Draw 4 cards.
~ deals 5 damage to target player and up to 3 damage to target creature he/she controls.
Creature you control gain +2/+2 and one of the following abilities until end of turn: Deathtouch, Trample, Flying, First Strike, Vigilance, Reach.
Put a 4/4 WUBRG Elemental token onto the battlefield under your control.

WUBRG, exile ~ from your graveyard: choose one-

Return up to three cards from your graveyard to your hand.
Draw 4 cards.
~ deals 5 damage to target player and up to 3 damage to target creature he/she controls.
Creature you control gain +2/+2 and one of the following abilities until end of turn: Deathtouch, Trample, Flying, First Strike, Vigilance, Reach.
Put a 4/4 WUBRG Elemental token onto the battlefield under your control.

6/6

Challenge: Irrelevent now that I'm ninja'd

r2d2go
2015-01-31, 03:52 PM
@Otherworld: I'm pretty sure this allows you to cast it from the grave for 6 - you pay the cost of the ability, putting the Soul into exile, and the ability goes on the stack. Then it resolves, and you bring the Soul back. Also, it's a cheat-out card, which I'm a bit scared of. It's probably fair considering the other Souls though, so... meh, good 'nuff :smalltongue:

@Alara: Waaay too much card text. Combine the things (e.g. "Return a card from your graveyard to your hand, draw a card, deal 3 damage to target creature or player, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn, and put a 2/2 elemental onto the battlefield") and it might be reasonable?

Mistweaver Sphinx 3WU
Creature - Sphinx R
Flying
1U, Exile a card from your hand: Counter target spell unless its owner pays 3.
3/3

Challenge: Something blue.

Jormengand
2015-01-31, 03:56 PM
Ehh, screw it, you deserve a critique:

The fact that it's almost certainly 11/11 for 6 and also has a cheap version of Opportunity, a cheap version of Lava Axe into Lightning Bolt, a black effect which I'm sure is cheaper than usual, and white and just-about-green effects which are just about on-curve but none of these abilities cost cards; I'm inclined to say it's overpowered. Its saving grace is that it offers no defence against removal spells costing BB if your opponent has one.

Sphinx: Ooh, me likey. Would probably play in Veldan if I could sneak in White. Or Trostan sneaking in blue? Hmm.

Card still works for your challenge, so:

Irrelevance U
Sorcery - C
Draw a card.

Huh, fulfilled my own challenge as well. Gonna change it this time:

Card to do with time.

r2d2go
2015-01-31, 04:04 PM
Seems a little mediocre considering the number of superior cantrips out there (including free ones, ones that grant an extra benefit, ones that act at instant speed, and one that does all of the above :smalltongue:). Could be an instant and remain common, IMO.

Timereaper Scythe 7
Artifact - Equipment MR
Equipped creature gains +2/+0 and First Strike.
Whenever equipped creature deals damage to a creature, exile it until ~ leaves the battlefield.
Whenever equipped creature deals damage to a player, that player skips their next turn.
Equip 7

Challenge: Something that deals damage to multiple targets.

Fortuna
2015-01-31, 04:37 PM
Suuuper-expensive. Fourteen mana to get to swing with it. If you put it on an Invisible Stalker or the like, you just win, but on the other hand if you don't have something hexproof creature removal starts effectively skipping your turns by eating all that mana. I think this could probably cost a little less either to play or to equip, but I'm not sure how much less.

Lightning Cascade 4RR
Sorcery - R
Lightning Cascade deals 3 damage to target creature, 2 damage to up to two other target creatures, and 1 damage to up to three other target creatures.

Make an assassin.

Jormengand
2015-01-31, 04:57 PM
Hmm... cool card. I like it.

I've tried to do this card right so many times... let's do it one more time:

Sacred Assassin WBG
Creature - Human Assassin R
Protection from legendary creatures, Deathtouch
T: Sacred Assassin fights target creature.
1/2

Next: Something holy.

thatonesungod
2015-01-31, 05:14 PM
seems great in commander, also THANK YOU FINALLY

Chorus of Life 9W
Sorcery R
Convoke
Shuffle your graveyard into your library, then Count the Number of Cards in your Library, Gain that much life
The song of the world, sung by every living thing

see Invincible Hymm (http://magiccards.info/ala/en/14.html) for inspiration and costing

Make something Red White or Blue White

r2d2go
2015-01-31, 06:02 PM
Normally lifegain is weak, but this is too strong. One, Convoke makes this much, much easier to get out, and the difference between turn 8 and turn 5 with 5 guys out is huge - one is a viable psuedo-win condition vrs aggro, while the other comes far too late. Two, it's somewhat more powerful because it's pretty much an automatic 70 or so life with the graveyard shuffle, as compared to 45 or so life. This needs less upsides and more downsides.

Boros Shock-trooper 2WR
First Strike
Battalion: Whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack, you may have any number of target creatures block ~.
Dash 3WR
3/1

Edit: Sorry about the repeated mana changes, this was hard to place :smalltongue: I figure that the bonus haste from Dash is pretty insane on this guy, making him potentially like 4 mana, deal 3 damage, repeatable, or 4 mana, creatures your opponent controls can't block, deal 3 damage to one of them. Taunting Elf has a similar but less flexible effect, minus damage, for a lot less, so I figured it's probably around right once you add two colors, two rarity, and three mana. It might deserve more cost, though, since it's pretty flexible (though your opponent can kill it without too much trouble).

Challenge: Something else with a recently introduced mechanic.

Zaydos
2015-01-31, 06:28 PM
Boros Shock-trooper 2WR
First Strike
Battalion: Whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack, you may have any number of target creatures block ~.
Dash 2WR
3/1

Edit: Sorry about the repeated mana changes, this was hard to place :smalltongue: I figure that the bonus haste from Dash is pretty insane on this guy, making him potentially like 4 mana, deal 3 damage, repeatable, or 4 mana, creatures your opponent controls can't block, deal 3 damage to one of them. Taunting Elf has a similar but less flexible effect, minus damage, for a lot less, so I figured it's probably around right once you add two colors, two rarity, and three mana. It might deserve more cost, though, since it's pretty flexible (though your opponent can kill it without too much trouble).

I think it deserves more cost on the dash to be honest because not only is it very flexible and a taunting elf that can top deck its effect the same turn, but it's somewhat outside of the color pie for Red/White. Not unreasonably so, but enough for a surcharge.

Challenge: Something else with a recently introduced mechanic.

Spidernest Refuge 2GG
Enchantment R
Creatures you control have Reach
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control bolster 1. (Choose a creature with the least toughness among creatures you control and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)

Challenge: Make something which manifests (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+%5Bmanifest%5D&set=+%5B%22Fate%20Reforged%22%5D) something.

r2d2go
2015-01-31, 06:41 PM
Pretty decent card, though perhaps more uncommon-power than rare. It's a bit like Vigean Hydropon, plus reach.

Ghostbind WW
Enchantment - U
When Ghostbind enters the battlefield, it becomes an Aura with enchant creature. Manifest target creature or the top card of your library and attach Ghostbind to it.
When Ghostbind leaves the battlefield, turn enchanted card face up. Put it onto the battlefield if it is a creature.

I was aiming for an Oblivion Ring that gives your opponent's creature into a 2/2, or a Soul Summons that potentially provides a cheap Morph.

Challenge: Something that flips cards (Morph, Manifest, and Transform come to mind).

Zaydos
2015-01-31, 08:53 PM
Ghostbind WW
Enchantment - R
When Ghostbind enters the battlefield, it becomes an Aura with enchant creature. Manifest target creature or the top card of your library and attach Ghostbind to it.
When Ghostbind leaves the battlefield, turn enchanted card face up. Put it onto the battlefield if it is a creature.

I was aiming for an Oblivion Ring that gives your opponent's creature into a 2/2, or a Soul Summons that potentially provides a cheap Morph.

I love the card, but while versatile probably only deserves to be an uncommon. Most of the time it will be a worse Journey into Nowhere for a harder cost or a risky manifestation. It could be used in a combo with something that has an effect when flipped face up but that's hard enough to set up that it probably still should just be an uncommon.

Challenge: Something that flips cards (Morph, Manifest, and Transform come to mind).

Torrex Spy 2U
A vaguely humanoid tentacle-creature
Creature - Horror U
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player you may turn ~ face down.

Morph 1U (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)

When ~ is turned face up you may turn target creature with Morph face down.

2/2

Challenge: More Morph.

r2d2go
2015-01-31, 09:23 PM
Interesting! Can be used as a turn-to-bear, as well as resetting certain flip cards. Well made.

Smoke Shifter U
Creature - Elemental R
When ~ is turned face up, if it entered the battlefield this turn, manifest target permanent.
U - return ~ to your hand.
U - flip ~ face down. It gains -1/+1 until end of turn.
Morph U
1/1

Challenge: Something flippy, or weird.

Blue Ghost
2015-02-01, 06:20 PM
Manifest target permanent? Does that mean to turn a permanent face down? That's pretty cool. I don't think you need all those other abilities. Just that one ability and morph makes this a compelling card; everything else just complicates it.

Flippy Weird 2RU
Creature - Weird (U)
Whenever Flippy Weird attacks, reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. Flippy Weird gets +X/-X until end of turn, where X is that card's converted mana cost.
0/4

Next: Make a hydra.

Fortuna
2015-02-01, 07:00 PM
Seems overcosted. I'd put it at 1RU - it can easily kill itself on the swing, and even when it doesn't it will often be open to being eaten, or put itself into shock range. It's strong if facing an empty board, but what isn't?

Flameheart Hydra XRRR
Creature - Hydra MR
Flameheart Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
R, remove X +1/+1 counters from Flameheart Hydra: Flameheart Hydra deals X damage to target creature or player.
When Flameheart Hydra dies, it deals damage to each creature and player equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

Make a green instant or sorcery with CMC 1 that gives a creature a symmetrical power/toughness boost (either permanently or until end of turn) while demonstrating a mechanic you've never seen before.

Jormengand
2015-02-01, 08:02 PM
Flameheart Hydra seems okay, but... I can't see what kind of deck would actually play it. That's the only thing; it's cool and all but I don't see how you would build around it, or use it to build around anything else.

Paragon Surge P/G
Sorcery - C
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Paragon - Until end of turn, if that creature has the highest power among creatures you control, it has trample.

Next: Another card which uses a mechanic that looks like it should only really work on a permanent on something that isn't one, or vice versa. Granting the ability to something else works fine if you really can't do it.

r2d2go
2015-02-01, 08:09 PM
I think you wanted "gains trample", not "has trample". In any case, it's alright, though I think it could be an instant without any problems.

Twisting Runes 1UG
Enchantment - U
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on this enchantment.)
When ~ has at least 5 +1/+1 counters, transform it.

Apex Abomination
Creature - Mutant U
Trample, Hexproof
0/0

Challenge: Make another card that goes from one type to another.

Fortuna
2015-02-01, 08:23 PM
Flameheart Hydra seems okay, but... I can't see what kind of deck would actually play it. That's the only thing; it's cool and all but I don't see how you would build around it, or use it to build around anything else.

Paragon Surge P/G
Sorcery - C
Paragon - Until end of turn, if that creature has the highest power among creatures you control, it has trample.

Next: Another card which uses a mechanic that looks like it should only really work on a permanent on something that isn't one, or vice versa. Granting the ability to something else works fine if you really can't do it.

You've seen this mechanic before, because you've used it before. :smalltongue: I meant for you to invent a new mechanic.

I think you wanted "gains trample", not "has trample". In any case, it's alright, though I think it could be an instant without any problems.

Twisting Runes 1UG
Enchantment - U
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on this enchantment.)
When ~ has at least 5 +1/+1 counters, transform it.

Apex Abomination
Creature - Mutant U
Trample, Hexproof
0/0

Challenge: Make another card that goes from one type to another.

Hmm. Evolve on a noncreature permanent doesn't technically work like that, I don't believe - easier just to spell out the ability. Other than that... it's quite strong. Dropped turn 3, it could easily be only turn 5 or 6 that it's online. It's a bit worrisome for limited, basically, and I wonder if it shouldn't be rare.

Transformed Warrior 4
Artifact Creature - Construct Human U
1: Transformed Warrior stops being a creature until end of turn. Activate this ability only if it's an artifact.
1: Transformed Warrior stops being an artifact until end of turn. Activate this ability only if it's a creature.
3/3

Make another green instant or sorcery with CMC 1 that makes a creature bigger, this time showcasing an actually new mechanic.

r2d2go
2015-02-01, 08:35 PM
You've seen this mechanic before, because you've used it before. :smalltongue: I meant for you to invent a new mechanic.

Hmm. Evolve on a noncreature permanent doesn't technically work like that, I don't believe - easier just to spell out the ability. Other than that... it's quite strong. Dropped turn 3, it could easily be only turn 5 or 6 that it's online. It's a bit worrisome for limited, basically, and I wonder if it shouldn't be rare.

Transformed Warrior 4
Artifact Creature - Construct Human U
1: Transformed Warrior stops being a creature until end of turn. Activate this ability only if it's an artifact.
1: Transformed Warrior stops being an artifact until end of turn. Activate this ability only if it's a creature.
3/3

Make another green instant or sorcery with CMC 1 that makes a creature bigger, this time showcasing an actually new mechanic.

Hm... It's decent limited fodder, I suppose. Somewhat resistant to removal as well as reasonably costed.

I made this mechanic earlier but haven't used it in any cards yet, so...

Strength in Unity (G/W)
Instant - U
Unity 2: If the creature is attacking or blocking with 2 or more other creatures, it gains an additional +2/+2 and lifelink until end of turn.

Challenge: Something two colored that is part of two clans of Tarkir (e.g. U/R could be Temur-Jeskai, since they both contain UR.)

Zaydos
2015-02-01, 10:14 PM
Strength in Unity (G/W)
Instant - U
Unity 2: If the creature is attacking or blocking with 2 or more other creatures, it gains an additional +2/+2 and lifelink until end of turn.

Unity 2 is easy enough to achieve that the lifelink part is pushing it for the mana cost. It'd probably do best as just +2/+2, increasing to +4/+4 with unity (like most 1 drop instants this way). It'd probably be better as G instead of hybrid for set dynamics since White is hard pressed to get bigger than +2 power in modern magic.

Challenge: Something two colored that is part of two clans of Tarkir (e.g. U/R could be Temur-Jeskai, since they both contain UR.)

Extortionist Rider 2WB
Raid — When Extortionist Rider enters the battlefield, if you attacked with a creature this turn, you may remove up to two +1/+1 counters from target creature and you may put up to two +1/+1 counters on another target creature.
Former Abzan tax collectors, they found a new life among the Mardu. They barely notice the difference.
1/3

Challenge: Make a Red or Blue Instant or Sorcery that would be used in a deck that wanted to play a lot of such cards (like an Izzet deck).

r2d2go
2015-02-01, 10:47 PM
It's really good if your opponent has two counters and you Raid, mediocre if your opponent has one, and terrible otherwise :smalltongue: it's definitely uncommon complexity, but I think it might deserve a boost to base P/T.

Crackle (U/R)
Instant - R
Deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
Draw a card.
During your next end step, discard a card.

Challenge: Make something else that cantrips.

Blue Ghost
2015-02-02, 02:24 AM
Hybrid means that the card could be played in either of its colors. Blue never gets direct damage, so this cannot be a blue/red hybrid card. Seems rather underwhelming for a rare. In a storm-type deck, this could be okay, I suppose...

First Aid 1W
Sorcery (C)
You gain 4 life and draw a card.

Next: Make a mythic rare with a single line of text.

Fortuna
2015-02-02, 05:49 AM
Seems very underwhelming. Possibly playable in limited, but only if there's stuff out there interacting with life gain or you're desperate for a way to survive aggro.

Eternity Stone 15
Artifact - MR
At the beginning of your end step, take an extra turn after this one.

Make a red instant or sorcery that deals direct damage and does nothing else while showing off a new mechanic. (Bonfire of the Damned, Crater Claws, Brimstone Volley, and Rift Bolt are all cards of the sort I mean.)

thatonesungod
2015-02-02, 07:18 AM
i dont think you understand what that does, that means you take turns until you win, someone kills the stone, or you deck yourself, EVEN Emirakul isn't That strong and he costs the same

Explosive Flare 1R
Instant C
Explosive flare deals 3 damage to target creature or player
Flare-any player may reveal their hand to counter this spell
Boom, and then big shiny lights, But they Sting
-grubbins, goblin

make something Shiny

Gandariel
2015-02-02, 07:39 AM
Isn't this too weak? This is a downside, the card should be UNDERcosted

Dazzle W
Instant C
Target creature gets -5/-0 until end of turn.

Make a card which supports an alternate win condition: poison, Mill, or something new.

Ninjaman
2015-02-02, 08:23 AM
That card already exists. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383273)

Grave Knowledge - 3UUB
Instant - R
Exile all creature cards from target player's graveyard. Draw a card for each card exiled this way.

Create an artifact that turns into a creature.

mystic1110
2015-02-02, 10:29 AM
Seem's sort of overcosted - even if you removed lets say 4 creatures, it would be a conditional Oppurtunity at a worst cost. You need to remove 5! creatures before you get good value.

Expecting Judge (U/W)
Artifact Enchantment R
Name a card. If an opponent plays the named card, if Expecting Judge is an enchantment, Expecting Judge becomes a 5/5 Sphinx creature with flying and "Opponents can't cast spells that share a color with the spell most recently cast this turn."

Create a Sphinx

r2d2go
2015-02-02, 12:29 PM
Seem's sort of overcosted - even if you removed lets say 4 creatures, it would be a conditional Oppurtunity at a worst cost. You need to remove 5! creatures before you get good value.

Expecting Judge (U/W)
Artifact Enchantment R
Name a card. If an opponent plays the named card, if Expecting Judge is an enchantment, Expecting Judge becomes a 5/5 Sphinx creature with flying and "Opponents can't cast spells that share a color with the spell most recently cast this turn."

Create a Sphinx

"Mountain" :smalltongue: it's funny, you use "cast spells" in the second part but "play cards" in the first...

Even without lands, this is overpowered in multiplayer, where people are generally fine with triggering the card if you promise not to hit them with it, and it becomes a 5/5 for 1 with upside. Otherwise, it's like Duress without looking at your opponent's hand, which is pretty bad.

Tidecrasher 3UR
Creature - Sphinx R
Flying, double strike
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, ~ gains +2/+0 and loses flying until end of turn.
2/2

Or since I don't really like that one as a sphinx...

Azorius Watcher 4WU
Creature - Sphinx U
Flying, Vigilance
Whenever ~ attacks or blocks, scry 1.
4/4

Challenge: A dragon.

Zaydos
2015-02-02, 12:57 PM
Tidecrasher 3UR
Creature - Sphinx R
Flying, double strike
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, ~ gains +2/+0 and loses flying until end of turn.
2/2

Cast instant after declare blockers, swing 8 flying effectively, possibly 12 if you dynacharged it. That's too much on a 5 drop. +1/+0 would put it at 6 damage (wee dragonauts for 2 less would be 3) with the potential for more with combat tricks (10 with dynarcharge to dragonauts' 5).

Azorius Watcher 4WU
Creature - Sphinx U
Flying, Vigilance
Whenever ~ attacks or blocks, scry 1.
4/4

Much more reasonable.

Challenge: A dragon.

Irvalian Skylord 4GR
Creature - Dragon U
Flying
Whenever Irvalian Skylord attacks you may have it fight target creature with flying.
4/4
None fly the skies of Irvalia without the approval of the dragons which rule its peaks.

Challenge: Irvalia is a Red-Green region of harsh mountains, Khadev is a Black-White city state with trained legions of mercenaries and sellswords. Make a card which could either come from Irvalia or Khadev.

Jormengand
2015-02-02, 12:57 PM
Tidecrasher is weird because you can slam instants down after the DB step, Watcher seems... okay, I guess?

Malygos 3PPPRRR
Legendary creature - Dragon Wizard MR
Flamestorm 5 (When an instant or sorcery you control would deal damage, it deals 5 more damage instead.)
Malygos hates it when mortals use magic. He gets so mad!
4/12

Irvalian Skylord is odd, because it can end up getting itself killed really easily if your opponent has multiple flyers.

Khadev Legionnaire WB
Creature - Human Soldier C
Other creatures you control called Khadev Legionnaire get +2/+2
2/2

Yes, probably a lot of copy-token abuse but I'd like to see you doing that efficiently.

Next: A reference to another game. :smallbiggrin:

r2d2go
2015-02-02, 01:16 PM
Cast instant after declare blockers, swing 8 flying effectively, possibly 12 if you dynacharged it. That's too much on a 5 drop. +1/+0 would put it at 6 damage (wee dragonauts for 2 less would be 3) with the potential for more with combat tricks (10 with dynarcharge to dragonauts' 5).

Much more reasonable.

Irvalian Skylord 4GR
Creature - Dragon U
Flying
Whenever Irvalian Skylord attacks you may have it fight target creature with flying.
4/4
None fly the skies of Irvalia without the approval of the dragons which rule its peaks.

Challenge: Irvalia is a Red-Green region of harsh mountains, Khadev is a Black-White city state with trained legions of mercenaries and sellswords. Make a card which could either come from Irvalia or Khadev.

Good enough :smalltongue: it's good if your opponent is only running a couple fliers and thus can't kill your 4/4 for 6. A reasonable uncommon.

Should work well enough...

Khadev Sellsword 1WB
Creature - Warrior U
Tithe 3 (Any opponent may pay 3 to counter this spell.)
If an opponent pays the Tithe on Khadev Sellsword, add 1WB to your mana pool.
4/4

Challenge: Green.

Jormengand
2015-02-02, 01:30 PM
So... either a spell costing 0 to drag three from their mana pool or a 4/4 for 3? The only saving grace is that your opponent chooses - that is if they have 3 to pay.

Gidai assassin 2PG
Creature - Human assassin R
Deathtouch
When Gidai Assassin enters the battlefield, Lock In target creature. If the Locked In creature dies, Lock In another target creature.
T, 2: Gidai Assassin fights the Locked In creature.
1/4

Next: More assassins! :smallbiggrin:

r2d2go
2015-02-02, 01:41 PM
So... either a spell costing 0 to drag three from their mana pool or a 4/4 for 3? The only saving grace is that your opponent chooses - that is if they have 3 to pay.

If you look at things that way, Mardu Warshrieker is a 3/3 for 1 with mana fixing :smalltongue:

Gidai assassin 2PG
Creature - Human assassin R
Deathtouch
When Gidai Assassin enters the battlefield, Lock In target creature. If the Locked In creature dies, Lock In another target creature.
T, 2: Gidai Assassin fights the Locked In creature.

Next: More assassins! :smallbiggrin:

Missing P/T, but if it's more than 3 or 4 P/T, this is a scary assassin. Basically infinite colorless lightning strikes that cost no cards, except it only removes things with < 3 power instead of toughness.

Edit: Ah, you got it. Analysis stands :smalltongue:

Black-blade Assassin 1B
Creature - U
Deathtouch
T - ~ fights target nonblack creature.
1/1

Challenge: Elemental.

Jormengand
2015-02-02, 01:50 PM
Delayed blast doom blade? Sure?

Chlorine Elemental 3BB
Creature - Elemental R
Cumulative Upkeep: Each other creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
3/3

I like dubiously beneficial cumulative upkeeps! Don't judge me!

Next: Screw it, beneficial cumulative upkeep.

Zaydos
2015-02-02, 02:15 PM
Chlorine Elemental 3BB
Creature - Elemental R
Cumulative Upkeep: Each other creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
3/3

Probably should be 2/2 with that ability. Especially since you can sac it if paying it would be disadvantageous for you.

Next: Screw it, beneficial cumulative upkeep.

Icesheet Augur 2U
Snow Creature - Merfolk Wizard U
Cumulative Upkeep: Scry 1.
1/1

Challenge: Rakdos!

r2d2go
2015-02-02, 02:29 PM
Probably should be 2/2 with that ability. Especially since you can sac it if paying it would be disadvantageous for you.

Icesheet Augur 2U
Snow Creature - Merfolk Wizard U
Cumulative Upkeep: Scry 1.
1/1

Challenge: Rakdos!

That's a lot of scry :smalltongue: it's fine, but you'll be drawing exactly what you want pretty soon after playing it, which makes it pretty strong.

I'm going to try something new for Volatile...

Rakdos Bomber 1RB
Creature - Warrior U
Volatile 1 - Sacrifice ~: ~ deals 1 damage to each creature.
Whenever a creature damaged by ~'s Volatile dies, add R or B to your mana pool.
3/1

Challenge: Boros.

Beelzebub1111
2015-02-02, 02:35 PM
Crimeny that's good. Can you say "Flamespeaker adept"

Mosh Pit 4
Artifact R
2RB: Mosh pit deals damage equal to the total power of all creaturesd divided evenly (rounded up) to all creatures

Challenge: A two CMC cost dragon.

Jormengand
2015-02-02, 03:09 PM
That almost always just destroys everything but the biggest thing on the board for 4. So make sure you have the biggest thing on the board, keep paying 4 to boardwipe everything else, GG.

Dragon Familiar RR
Enchantment - U
Enchanted creature gets "R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn".

Next: Something big and blue. But not green.

1pwny
2015-02-02, 03:27 PM
So, like Firebreathing, but strictly worse?

Sea King - 6UUU
Creature - Giant Fish U
Islandwalk
9/9

Challenge: Make some other big non-green thing.

Zaydos
2015-02-02, 04:01 PM
Sea King - 6UUU
Creature - Giant Fish U
Islandwalk
8/8

Needs 9/9 or 1 less mana, as is, it's just a worse Stormtide Leviathan for more. I also find it amusing that it's a giant.

Challenge: Make some other big non-green thing.

Blizzardwing Sphinx 4UUU
Snow Creature - Sphinx MR
Flying
Whenever ~ attacks creatures defending player controls do not untap during their next untap step.
Its wings bring the winter before it, the snow besieging the forts of its foes.
5/7

Challenge: Big mono-Black.

Ninjaman
2015-02-02, 04:06 PM
Could probably be one cheaper or have some form of protection (discard for hexproof or such).

Devourer of Dreams . 3BB
Creature - Wurm - R
When Devourer of dreams enters the battlefield, each opponent discards a card, then exiles all cards in his pr her graveyard.
4/4

Something that draws four cards.

Zaydos
2015-02-02, 04:14 PM
Could probably be one cheaper or have some form of protection (discard for hexproof or such).

I might have accidentally ninja edited it down 1 and 1 power. Had to check how much frost titan was worth (in $) now that it wasn't standard.

Devourer of Dreams . 3BB
Creature - Wurm - R
When Devourer of dreams enters the battlefield, each opponent discards a card, then exiles all cards in his pr her graveyard.
4/4

Reasonable, can see using it against delve decks, and the discard gives it another use. Might could have been 5/5 but it's still useful against certain decks and in certain metas.

Something that draws four cards.

Voyage along Styx 4U
Sorcery U
Draw 3 cards.
Threshold - If you have 7 or more cards in your graveyard draw 4 cards instead.

Challenge: Mono-green creature with Scry.

Jormengand
2015-02-02, 04:22 PM
I guess I was thinking of making the same sort of thing only with second wind, so sure.

Serpent Seer 3GGG
Creature - Snake U
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, Scry X, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.
2/3

Next: A 1/1 for at least 10.

1pwny
2015-02-02, 06:18 PM
I shudder to think what would happen after getting multiple of those. "Let's see... I play Rampaging Baloths, then Scry 18...

Shikamaru Nara - 8BG
Legendary Creature - MR
If this card would be destroyed, tap it.
Each creature's power and toughness is equal to its converted mana cost.
You determine how creatures block.
B: If this creature is tapped, tap another target creature.
1/1
It doesn't matter how well you can use your power, only how well I can use your power.

make something else that costs a lot.

r2d2go
2015-02-02, 07:00 PM
I shudder to think what would happen after getting multiple of those. "Let's see... I play Rampaging Baloths, then Scry 18...

Shikamaru Nara - 8BG
Legendary Creature - MR
If this card would be destroyed, tap it.
Each creature's power and toughness is equal to its converted mana cost.
You determine how creatures block.
B: If this creature is tapped, tap another target creature.
1/1
It doesn't matter how well you can use your power, only how well I can use your power.

make something else that costs a lot.

You need the word "instead" after tap it, otherwise it gets tapped and then destroyed anyway :smalltongue: also, this is pretty insane - puts your opponent on a two turn clock or gets rid of 10 toughness of their creatures. Should probably have an anti-cheating-out clause. Would be better if it were a lower drop with just the CMC ability, this feels like a lot of things spliced onto one big guy.

Extra-Scornful Egotist 99U
Creature - Wizard U (Un)
Morph U
ALL HAIL THE GREAT LORD EGOTIST
1/1

Challenge: Something you'd like to see in your own deck. Not overpowered, just something that would fit will.

thatonesungod
2015-02-02, 07:09 PM
hah ha, he's better as a morph... also shoot i need a card that fits will?? WILL GET OVER HERE... I NEED YOUR HELP

ok jokes aside heres one for my casual tank deck

Medium type 89 (4)
Artifact Creature-Tank U
Armored(damage that would be dealt to this creature by creatures is reduced by half(rounded up) damage that would be dealt to this creature by noncreature spells is doubled)
3/4
its not a light type 89, its a Medium type 89, there is a difference
-Misono, Arvidite military Sergeant, Rendezvous Campaign

make something else from the Arvidite military(a military branch i made up(for a plane i made up) focusing on heavy artillery and armor) AND NO SWORDS

Jormengand
2015-02-02, 07:20 PM
Shock and ggnore. Not seeing it.

Really hard to do this without knowing what you're on about. I mean, at least you know what the hell Veldan is because I tell you.

Armoured Assault 2
Instant - R
Creatures you control have Armoured until end of turn.

Still totally unsure of the utility of Armoured, though. Hmm.

Next: Something that would work well in a gimmick deck.

r2d2go
2015-02-03, 12:40 AM
It's alright, a reasonable combat trick.

Enforce the End 5UU
Sorcery - R
Search your deck for two spells and exile them. You may cast them from exile, and if you do, they can't be countered.

Challenge: Something with lots of keywords.

Zaydos
2015-02-03, 12:49 AM
Enforce the End 5UU
Sorcery - R
Search your deck for two spells and exile them. You may cast them from exile, and if you do, they can't be countered.

Enter the Infinite (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366411) + Omniscience (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=288937).

Compare Tooth and Nail (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370432) which requires 9 mana (for entwined) and is limited to creatures. It definitely needs to cost more mana as creatures are the cheap cards to cheat in and not particularly expensive to fetch.

Challenge: Something with lots of keywords.

Evergreen Treefolk 3GGG
Creature - Treefolk R (Un)
Deathtouch, Flash, Forestwalk, Haste, Hexproof, Indestructible, Islandwalk, Protection from Blue, Protection from Black, Swampwalk, Trample, Vigilance
2/2

Challenge: A creature which does not use any keywords or ability words, but is not vanilla.

r2d2go
2015-02-03, 12:59 AM
Enter the Infinite (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366411) + Omniscience (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=288937).

Compare Tooth and Nail (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370432) which requires 9 mana (for entwined) and is limited to creatures. It definitely needs to cost more mana as creatures are the cheap cards to cheat in and not particularly expensive to fetch.

Note that it allows you to cast, not cast without paying mana cost, unlike Tooth and Nail. Thus, it would cost you the 10 mana to play Omniscience in addition to the normal cost.

Evergreen Treefolk 2GGG
Creature - Treefolk R (Un)
Deathtouch, Flash, Forestwalk, Haste, Hexproof, Indestructible, Islandwalk, Protection from Blue, Protection from Black, Swampwalk, Trample, Vigilance
2/2

That's probably too many keywords :smalltongue: Deathtouch Indestructible means it'll kill something when it drops due to Flash, and Vigilance means it can swing without worries. Then again, Un-Card, so...

Challenge: A creature which does not use any keywords or ability words, but is not vanilla.

Demolition Beast 2RG
Creature - Beast R
~ attacks each turn if able.
Whenever a creature damaged by an attacking creature you control dies during combat, the attacking creature deals 2 damage to the defending creature's controller.
3/3

Challenge: Something with a new keyword.

thatonesungod
2015-02-03, 09:52 AM
so sorta pseudotrample locked on something that dies to bolt attacking each turn... it works i guess

Fountain of New Waters 3
Artifact R
=> add 1 to your mana pool
Suspend 3 (1)(exile this permanent for one mana with 3 time counters on it each turn remove a time counter then when there are no time counters cast it without paying its mana cost)
New Horizons 3-if this card enters the battlefield after you have had your third turn it has => add 4 to your mana pool

blegh that doesn't work very well

something military... go have fun

Jormengand
2015-02-03, 11:41 AM
Auto-include in any deck ever. Well done, do you feel happy?

Veldan Recruiter 1UPB
Creature - Human soldier U
One eye open - When you draw a card, put a 1/1 blue, purple and black human creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
2/2

Comparing to Thraben Doomsayer, it looks as though it should be fine - more colour weight, more expensive and no fateful hour gives you the ability to attack as well if you want and a trigger on any card draw rather than just one each turn. Hmm.

Next: Monoblack One Eye Open. I wanna see what you do with it.

r2d2go
2015-02-03, 01:12 PM
Auto-include in any deck ever. Well done, do you feel happy?

Veldan Recruiter 1UPB
Creature - Human soldier U
One eye open - When you draw a card, put a 1/1 blue, purple and black human creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
2/2

Comparing to Thraben Doomsayer, it looks as though it should be fine - more colour weight, more expensive and no fateful hour gives you the ability to attack as well if you want and a trigger on any card draw rather than just one each turn. Hmm.

Next: Monoblack One Eye Open. I wanna see what you do with it.

It's a strong uncommon, but not too strong. It definitely seems white-blue, not black or even purple though.

Shadow Confidant 1B
Shadow
One Eye Open - Whenever you draw a card, you lose life equal to it's converted mana cost.
3/2

Challenge: Something green.

Zaydos
2015-02-03, 01:44 PM
Shadow Confidant 1B
Shadow
One Eye Open - Whenever you draw a card, you lose life equal to it's converted mana cost.
3/2

Needs to reveal the card you draw so you can lose life equal to its CMC. Might be a little weak then.

Challenge: Something green.

Metamorphic Sage 1G
Creature - Elf Wizard U
Metamorph 2 (Enters the battlefield with 2 time counters on it, at the beginning of each upkeep remove a time counter from it, if you do put a +1/+1 counter on it)
T, Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Add GG to your mana pool.
0/1

Challenge: Something with time counters.

r2d2go
2015-02-03, 02:23 PM
Needs to reveal the card you draw so you can lose life equal to its CMC. Might be a little weak then.

Metamorphic Sage 1G
Creature - Elf Wizard U
Metamorph 2 (Enters the battlefield with 2 time counters on it, at the beginning of each upkeep remove a time counter from it, if you do put a +1/+1 counter on it)
T, Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Add GG to your mana pool.
0/1

Challenge: Something with time counters.

Huh. Quite complex, but not unreasonable. Basically four mana back, but also has a reasonable body if needed.

Feedback Bomb 2
Artifact R
Cumulative Upkeep: Put a time counter on ~.
UR, sacrifice ~: Deal damage to target creature you don't control equal to the number of time counters on ~.

So turn 1, it's 2 counters, turn 2, 6 counters, turn 3, 14 counters... :smalltongue: can't be a creature you control to avoid things like stuffy doll and spitemare.

Challenge: Something else that grow exponentially.

braveheart
2015-02-03, 02:47 PM
it doesn't actually do anything because it doesn't get any charge counters, but the way you meant for it to work It seem alright, the delay offsets the low mana cost

Heildroon Spawnling 3GG
creature-beast-MR
Whenever a creature named ~ attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it
whenever ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, put a token copy of ~ onto the battlefield
1/2

Make an artifact

Jormengand
2015-02-03, 05:32 PM
It's insane. Drop it and leave enough to counter something in hand. Gift of Orzhova or other suitable give it flying card, go for the face, put a token (that's a) copy of it onto the battlefield (under your control), and keep swinging with all of them until they're all massive. If your opponent doesn't have an answer, they'll become overwhelmed by what is, all told, only really one card.

Whispered Altar 4
Artifact - Idol R
WPT: Energise each idol you control.
When you energise Whispered Altar, target creature gets Silenced until end of turn. (That permanent loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced)

Next: Something with a negative or dubiously negative keyword (Defender, silenced, etc.) You can make a new one if you like... how about Last Strike? :smalltongue:

mystic1110
2015-02-03, 05:32 PM
Seems incredibly weak considering that for 3GG you get a vanilla 1/2 that needs to attack to become a 2/3 and that needs to connect to make a 1/2, and even then when it attacks the second time it's only attacking for 7 (4/5 and 3/4). . . . yes it can kill with only 3 attacks - but so can a 7/7. . . . And a 3GG 7/7 would be new . . . but still not worth a MR.

Unseen Investments 3
Artifact MR
Each player plays with their hands revealed.
During each players upkeep that player may place a card onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature.
If a facedown creature would die, that creatures controller may instead exile it.
Players may cast cards exiled by ~ without paying their mana costs.

Create a card with Morph

Jormengand
2015-02-03, 06:04 PM
Turn 1 something that Tims, Turn 2 something else that times, Turn 3 that, Turn 4 Enter the Infinite face down and tim EtI to death, turn five Omniscience and Tim Omniscience to death. Then cast your library. Even if it weren't for that, the fact that you can just obtain Emrakul or other big beasties or even other big spells pretty easily scares me.

Stealth Bird 2BB
Creature - Bird R
Morph BB
When Stealth Bird is flipped face-up, target player loses 3 life.
T: Flip Stealth Bird face-down.
1/3

Yes, the most aggravating card in YGO has made its way to Magic. You're welcome.

Next: As before, something with a negative or dubiously negative keyword (Defender, silenced, etc.)

thatonesungod
2015-02-03, 06:04 PM
seems incredibly convoluted, but maybe you can get a sweet card cast... maybe

Zambi 2B
Creature-Zombie R
If Zambi would be destroyed, turn it face down instead
Morph 2B
2/3

make a tank

Jormengand
2015-02-03, 06:28 PM
That's a very expensive delayed-blast 2B regenerate.

RH1 N0 2WR
Artifact Creature - Tank R
Transport (When this creature attacks, it can transport another attacking creature. Both creatures can be blocked and a creature blocking one must block both. Damage must be dealt to the transport before the transported creature.)
0/4

Fun fact: The Rhino tank from WH40K is (in-universe) so named because its production code is RH1 N0.

Next: Same as the last two times: Keyword with negative effects.

braveheart
2015-02-03, 06:47 PM
transport is an interesting idea, and it can certainly help protect something more fragile, I might cost it down 1 colorless though because it has no power itself

the running of the walls 2WWUU
enchantment - R
creatures you control are walls in addition to their other types and gain defender
creatures with defender can attack
creatures without defender cannot attack
It happens once a century, the walls run away, I don't know how and I don't know where they go but everyone else can't help but to stare

do something with flying

Jormengand
2015-02-03, 07:06 PM
Not particularly U and very much against the spirit of what I was thinking. Probably also really powerful - I'd probably run it in creatureless just to stop my opponent doing stuff.

Twisted Eagle 1UPB
Creature - Bird U
Flying
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, Twisted Eagle gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/3

Next: Something vaguely simple.

thatonesungod
2015-02-03, 07:16 PM
its, good i guess, its a 3/4 for 4 with the potential to increase with flying

vaguely simple ill try an idea i've been batting around for a while

Absolute Control 4UB
Enchantment-Aura MR
Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature
~ and enchanted creature are indestructible
~ and enchanted creature can't be exiled or returned to your hand or library
Creatures you control other than enchanted creature can't attack
Mira.... I'm so sorry

make something with sweet flavor text

Jormengand
2015-02-03, 07:46 PM
I really want to flip it upside-down and shock it, now. Or counter it, even.

Uriah Kasstar 3UUPP
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard MR
Creatures you control have Warpstrike U/P (When that creature becomes blocked you may pay U/P. If you do, exile it and return it to the battlefield under your control, tapped and attacking.)
Shift (Whenever Uriah Kasstar is targeted you may return it to your hand and put another creature with the same or lower converted mana cost onto the battlefield which then becomes the target instead. That card cannot Shift this turn.)
When Uriah leaves the battlefield, draw a card.
I am Uriah. I am the lord of the mind, I am the kingdom of ends. I am the last thing that will be burned into your memories as they are torn from you one by one. The magi of house Kasstar stand by my side, ready to serve me eternally.
4/4

I felt I needed to do another of these. Tasia Zelb needs a re-work too, and the Gidai one doesn't exist yet. Hmm.

Next: Something else legendary and MR.

thatonesungod
2015-02-03, 08:01 PM
Just a comment about the last critique, even if you flip the creature its still enchanted and therefore still fine, besides there is like 1 card that can flip other cards on the battlefield

Jormengand
2015-02-03, 08:09 PM
Just a comment about the last critique, even if you flip the creature its still enchanted and therefore still fine, besides there is like 1 card that can flip other cards on the battlefield

I'm pretty sure there's some way of flipping the actual enchantment itself - you must be able to turn it into a creature then Ixidron it in the face.

Oh, and All is Dust will have ya, too. And so will quite a few more cards. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[sacrifices]) Celestial Flare, in fact, will ruin your day.

Also, giggity (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4729).

thatonesungod
2015-02-03, 08:23 PM
oh your right, i forgot to prevent sacrifice oh well

r2d2go
2015-02-03, 08:34 PM
You might want to scratch the reminder text and put it on the side, for this one. This would never fit with reminder text. Also, "that card cannot Shift" is prone to memory problems - make it until EoT or put some sort of counter on it and you're good. In terms of power, it's worthy of its rarity, but not too strong, even with something to shift with. It is a lot of card advantage, but a 7 drop should get nice things :smalltongue:

Kol, Entering Time 4RU
Planeswalker - Kol M
+2 - Flip a coin. If heads, deal 3 damage to target creature or player. If tails, draw a card.
-2 - Skip your next turn and put an indestructible enchantment token with "sacrifice this token - take an extra turn after this one."
-9 - Take three extra turns after this one and transform Kol.

Kol, Returned
Legendary Creature - Werewolf Weird M
UR - Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3, then deal 2 damage to Kol, Returned.
I'm back, my friends.
3/5

(Reference to a card I made from awhile back :smalltongue:)

Challenge: Something else that references an existing card, whether printed or something from this thread.

Jormengand
2015-02-03, 08:55 PM
The -2 is missing the "Onto the battlefield under your control" and is actually pretty bad unless you have a great desire to delay turns for no good reason, and the ult is... weird. I don't see the point of having the thing on the other side; at that place you just flipped a Ral ultimate so you've won anyway.

Xavier, Light of Death 4WB
Planeswalker - Xavier MR
+2: Destroy target creature and gain life equal to its toughness.
-3: This turn, creatures you control have lifelink and if a spell you control deals damage, you gain that much life.
-9: Target opponent loses 100 life.

Xav has been just about every colour, but I think he's WB at heart.

Next: Something else WB.

r2d2go
2015-02-03, 10:17 PM
The +2 is very strong - I'm not sure it needs the lifegain. In fact, the -3 actually seems significantly worse than the +2 - they could be switched and make sense. The -9 wins the game, which is fine, I guess. This is too powerful IMO, due to the +2 - Compare to Sorin, who's +2 only deals 2 damage.

Restrained Thirst WB
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchanted creature gains "Whenever this creature blocks or is blocked, its power becomes equal to the toughness of the creature it is blocked by or blocking minus 1."

Challenge: Something red.

Blue Ghost
2015-02-04, 04:54 AM
This is the kind of overly clever card that I dislike, that uses a lot of words to achieve a very simple function. So it makes the enchanted creature unable to kill creatures in combat. So just make it unable to deal damage to creatures. Yes, getting them near death is occasionally relevant, but not enough to justify the complexity.

Eager Lancemate 2R
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
Support (You may have this creature enter the battlefield supporting another creature you control.)
Supported creature gains first strike.
2/2

Next: Make another creature with support.

Ninjaman
2015-02-04, 07:05 AM
A much worse version of an already existing card. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=240073) Not sure I like not being able to respond to the ability.

Coralreef Sheildmage - 1UU
Creature - Merfolk Wizard - R
Flash
Support (You may have this creature enter the battlefield supporting another creature you control.)
Supported creature has hexproof
2/1

Create a non-red card with haste.

thatonesungod
2015-02-04, 11:09 AM
i mean, its very slightly worse than the shieldmate from avcr with flash, so its Okay

Aquatic Rush 3UU
Instant R(colorshifted)
Untap each creature you control, they gain haste until end of turn

make a colorshifted card

Jormengand
2015-02-04, 11:14 AM
Hmm... that works, I guess?

Devour Magic (http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Mana+Drain) PP
Instant R
Counter target spell. At the beginning of your next main phase, add {X} to your mana pool, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.

They were planning to do this, incidentally. It's done now, I guess.

Next: Something big and not green.

braveheart
2015-02-04, 12:23 PM
So a purple version of mana drain, it's strong, and I doubt it would ever be printed again, but hey it was done before and when they officially planned purple they were considering giving some of the counterspell power

Demon of the flame 3BBRR
creature - demon elemental - R
first strike, trample,haste
6/3

make an angel with another creature subtype as well

thatonesungod
2015-02-04, 12:49 PM
its, strong... but expensive, so balanced

Leyline's Guardian 2WW
Creature-Angel Spirit MR
If Leyline's Guardian is in your opening hand, you may reveal it, if you do you may begin the game with any number of noncreature permanents from your hand on the battlefield
flying
3/3
Where Life and Mana converge

yes its strong... i did not say it wasn't

make a leyline

Jormengand
2015-02-04, 01:01 PM
Strong doesn't cover it. Reads "If this card is in your opening hand, you may win the game." Otherwise, it's a 3/3 flying for 4 which is bad for a mythic.

Leyline of Leylines are Stupid 0
Enchantment - C (Un)
If Leyline of Leylines are Stupid is in your opening hand, or your library, or anywhere else, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put each card that begun the game on the battlefield in the absolutely-removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever zone.

Next: Make something that's actually strong but not too strong.

ezkajii
2015-02-04, 02:05 PM
Re: Leylines of Leylines are Stupid - decent effect, but not the best flavor. :smalltongue:

Sacrifice the Future 4BB
Sorcery - U
Destroy all nonblack permanents, then exile X cards from the top of your library, where X is the number of permanents destroyed in this way.

Next: A 0-cost artifact that has different mana cost abilities for each mana color.

Jormengand
2015-02-04, 02:32 PM
Oof. A nice side for a black deck, especially if it wants things exiled. Seems decent.

Six Spheres Dais 0
Artifact - R
When you use one of Six Sphere Dais' activated abilities, put an overload counter on it. When it has 10 overload counters on it, sacrifice it.
W: Add B to your mana pool.
U: Add R to your mana pool.
P: Add G to your mana pool.
B: Add W to your mana pool.
R: Add U to your mana pool.
G: Add P to your mana pool.

Next: Something slightly more sane.

braveheart
2015-02-04, 02:42 PM
Interesting, you can use it to fix your colors in an interesting way, and it'll burn itself out eventually I like it.

Hold to Sanity 1(W/U)(W/U)
enchantment-R
spells and abilities opponents control cannot cause you to discard cards from your hand

Challenge: Freebee

r2d2go
2015-02-04, 06:23 PM
"Freebee" is not a challenge - it's the lack of one. Please make an actual challenge, even if you just repeat someone else's - it's part of the thread game.

Anyway, it's a fine sideboard card. Not exactly overwhelming in any way. Not exactly rare quality either, though.

Force Tank Max 8
Artifact Creature - Construct U
~ enters the battlefield with a Divine Shield counter.
If ~ has a Divine Shield counter, and would take damage, instead remove a Divine Shield counter from ~.
7/7

Challenge: Something else from another game.

Jormengand
2015-02-04, 06:48 PM
I assumed that freebee meant make a zero-cost spell. Anyway, divine shield, we've done this before. Sure, that's fine.

Lord Jaraxxus 5BBBB
Legendary Creature - Demon MR
Indestructible
Lord Jaraxxus can't be countered.
Lord Jaraxxus can't block.
When Lord Jaraxxus enters the battlefield, your life total becomes 15. If Lord Jaraxxus would take damage, you take that damage instead.
2: Put a 6/6 black infernal creature token onto the battlefield under your control. Activate this ability only once per turn, during your own upkeep.
You face Jaraxxus! Erador lord of the Burning Legion!
3/15

Again, but different other game this time. :smallbiggrin:

r2d2go
2015-02-04, 07:16 PM
I think it'd be easier to make this something like Form of the Dragon (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=form+of+the+dragon). This lets Jaraxxus fight like a normal creature, which is counter to the normal ability.

Dysian Sludge 3GWB
Creature - Ooze MR
When ~ enters the battlefield, if your life total is greater than 20, put a copy of it without this ability onto the battlefield.
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal a black card from your hand. If you do, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. That creature can only block ~, and ~ can only block that creature.
When ~ dies, shuffle it into your library and put a Level enchantment token onto the battlefield with "Sacrifice this token - Put five +1/+1 counters on target Dysian Sludge."
5/5

Or, less true to the mechanics...

Dysian Sludge 2GWB
Creature - Ooze MR
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature for each Dysian Sludge you control.
If ~ would leave the battlefield, instead shuffle it into the top 6 cards of your deck.
T, GWB - Put a copy of Dysian Sludge onto the battlefield. Activate this ability only if you have more than your starting life.
5/5

Challenge: Something less complicated than that :smalltongue:

braveheart
2015-02-04, 07:27 PM
For 9 mana you get a 6/6 every turn, but the guy doing it can redirect creature damage at you as a player, risky and not likely to be played due to risks and mana cost but balanced

Dark Aether
land - R
~ enters the battlefield tapped, with a charge counter on it
T: add B or P to your mana pool
3BPT remove a charge counter from Dark Aether: put a 5/5 Dark Samus creature token with, BPT: put a token copy of this creature onto the battlefield then exile Dark Samus, onto the battlefield

Throwback to Metroid prime 2
It's unusual and complicated, and if I knew the game it was from I might get it better, but I'm having trouble really seeing what either version is really supposed to do
I'm not sure my idea was less complicated, because I almost started an infinite loop of rules text, so

Beetle Druid G
creature-insect druid-C
T: add G to your mana pool
0/1

nice and simple

anyway make a RUG card

r2d2go
2015-02-04, 07:37 PM
The land's ability basically makes a 5/5 with a flicker ability, which is reasonable. On the other hand, strictly-worse Llanowar/Fyndhorn/Mystic Elf (other than tribal) is not particularly needed or good.

Kol's Infusion RUG
Instant - U
Target creature gains +2/+2, first strike, trample and hexproof until end of turn.

Challenge: Something with Flash that uses it well.

braveheart
2015-02-04, 07:46 PM
Nice simple very to it's colors

Traveling Poison Merchant 2B
creature-Human-U
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield creatures you control get deathtouch until the end of the phase
B: target creature gets deathtouch until end of turn
"everyone gets a free sample the first time, and once they see my product in action they'll be back"
0/3

make a cat

spikeof2010
2015-02-05, 12:29 AM
Interesting. Although I think that Travelling Poison Merchant should have a biiiit of a higher mana cost. But that's just a newbie at Magic talking.

Battle Lion 2RR
Creature - Lion [U]
Battalion - Whenever two or more creatures attack alongside with Battle Lion, Battle Lion gains Intimidation.

2/2

"Who thought it was a good idea to make Lion Armor?"

Make a monored life gain.

r2d2go
2015-02-05, 01:12 AM
Note: It's "Intimidate", not "Intimidation", but that's fine :smalltongue:

As to the card... It's kind of weird, and very weak. Lions and leonin tend to be white, though Intimidate is more red, and a 2/2 Intimidate is only 1RR at common. Making this RR would make more sense.

Inversion 1RR
Instant - R
Multikicker - Sacrifice a creature.
If a player would gain life this turn, they lose that much life instead.
For each time ~ was kicked, target player gains 3 life.

Challenge: Something big.

ezkajii
2015-02-05, 02:52 AM
I'm still kind of new to magic but Inversion seems more of a black than red. Maybe something like, deals 3 damage to target creature or player, with the special ability that whenever a player who has taken damage from the card gains life, you may cast it for a flashback cost?

Ancient Violator 16
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem - MR
Annihilator 5
Intimidate, Trample, Hexproof
When Ancient Violator would leave the battlefield for any reason, shuffle it into your library instead.
12/12

Next: A 5-color with no abilities, but vivid flavor text.

spikeof2010
2015-02-05, 06:34 AM
Whoa.... Are Green Artifact Decks a thing? Because I want to play that.
Also. The Annihilator 5 seems a bit too much at this point for an indestructible+++ creature, but this surely would help win a game once played, despite it's INSANE mana cost (which is a good thing).

Prismatic Soldier WUBRG
Creature - Soldier

Harnessing the powers of every last inch of the wheel, infused into a willing being, and after he lost his soul, something new was born. A shining sliver of hope.

7/7

Make something using 4 colors and no more.

Jormengand
2015-02-05, 11:52 AM
Well sure. I don't see how else you could have responded to that challenge, though Fusion Elemental has one up on you.

Manastorm Magus WUPR
Accelerate spells your opponents control (Spells your opponents control cost 1 mana of any colour less to cast)
Deny spells you control (Counter each spell you control unless you pay 1)
9/9

Next: Something else with a big drawback.

braveheart
2015-02-05, 12:03 PM
nice flavor, however just as a note we usually italicize the flavor text

nature's bane 1WBUR
enchantment-MR
nongreen creatures you control have first strike, haste, lifelink, and R: this creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn
whenever you cast a nongreen instant or sorcery, draw 1 card
whenever a player casts a green spell, they lose 1 life, and all other players gain 1 life

Wow that one hurts, but I'm not sure that it hurts enough for a 9/9 for 4 mana, although at 4 different colors it might be

Call the Disloyal Legion BWR
Sorcery - R
put 3 2/2 Black Disloyal Soldier tokens with, haste, and "at the beginning of your upkeep you may pay (2) to gain control of this creature, this ability can be activated by any player", onto the battlefield
They're cheap, but can they be trusted?

I'm not sure if I phrased that correctly but you know what it is meant to do

make another 4 color spell

________________________________________-
update
like this?

1pwny
2015-02-05, 12:22 PM
Put quotes around the effect text, and make sure to remember to capitalize. It makes everything easier.

But... hm... it seems weird but cool... and very prone to being palace-guarded.

Spawn the Hellsteed (2/U)(2/B)(2/R)(2/G)
Tribal Sorcery - Wizard R
Convoke (each creature you tap while playing this spell reduces its cost by 1 or by one of its color)
Put a 5/1 Horse creature token into play with Flying, Haste, Trample, and ''When this creature dies, target opponent discard one card.''

Challenge: Something.

r2d2go
2015-02-05, 12:24 PM
Call the Disloyal Legion BWR
Sorcery - R
put 3 2/2 Black Disloyal Soldier tokens with, haste, and at the beginning of your upkeep you may pay (2) to gain control of this creature, this ability can be activated by any player, onto the battlefield
They're cheap, but can they be trusted?

I'm not sure if I phrased that correctly but you know what it is meant to do

make another 4 color spell

Edit: Ninja'd, but it still technically works. But seriously, please, make an actual dang challenge.

@ hellsteed: it's alright, though it remains R/B and not green or blue. Flying trample haste has been shown to be mono red.

@ unloyal: You should definitely be putting quotes around the accrual ability. It took me a second read through to figure put why there was a random "onto the battlefield". In any case, 6 hasted power and three guys to anthem buff is a little much, especially when the "drawback" happens after untap and thus is useless until the turn after your soldiers have a chance to slaughter things. Compare to Thatcher's Revolt which only gives you 1/1s that die EoT. This should cost one more, at least.

Nephilim Infusion 4
Instant - R
If you did not spend at least four colors of mana on ~, counter it.
Target creature gets +4/+4, lifelink, first strike, flying, deathtouch and trample. At the end of turn, sacrifice it.

Challenge: Something cute.

Jormengand
2015-02-05, 12:33 PM
Could it not just be a creature in the first place?

Please, please actually make challenges, guys.

I Can Do Anything W/B U/R P/G
Instant R
Multikicker W/B U/R P/G
Choose one. For each time I Can Do Anything was kicked, choose another:
- You gain 5 life and target opponent loses 5 life
- Deal 3 damage to target creature or player and draw a card.
- Target creature gets +4/+4 and Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by it dies, exile it) until end of turn.

So basically, target creature wins at everything until end of turn, then destroy it? Seems an easy way of dealing with anything and then your creature - which would die anyway - disappears.

Bunnystorm 1PRG
Instant - R
Put 3 1/1 bunny creature tokens with "Paragon - if this creature has the highest power among creatures you control, it gets haste, trample and +1/+1" onto the battlefield under your control.
Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, you may put a +1/+1 counter on each bunny you control.

Next: Something highly silly but not un.

r2d2go
2015-02-05, 12:45 PM
So basically, target creature wins at everything until end of turn, then destroy it? Seems an easy way of dealing with anything and then your creature - which would die anyway - disappears.

Bunnystorm 1PRG
Instant - R
Put 3 1/1 bunny creature tokens with "Paragon - if this creature has the highest power among creatures you control, it gets haste, trample and +1/+1" onto the battlefield under your control.
Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, you may put a +1/+1 counter on each bunny you control.

Next: Something highly silly but not un.

This is a little too strong, IMO. It makes me want to make a burst PRG deck because it puts 9 hasty, trampling power onto the board for 4 - and it doesn't even die EoT. With the number of free cantrips (e.g gitaxian probe and manamorphose) this could easily finish your opponent very quickly.

White Jester 2W
Creature - Clown R
T - Gain 3 life.
T - Target creature gets +0/+3 until end of turn.
T, 2BBB - transform ~
2/2

Black Jester
Creature - Demon R
T - Target player loses 3 life.
T - Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.
3/3

Challenge: Tricolor.

Jormengand
2015-02-05, 12:53 PM
Oof. Nasty, but probably not too nasty. A bit unwieldy, too.

Veldan Chainwearer UPB
Creature - Human Slave C
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, you may have target creature gain "This creature can't block" until end of turn.
1/2

Next: Something else with a chain.

braveheart
2015-02-05, 02:08 PM
I think you can have it just say, "target creature can't block until end of turn" rather than giving the target the ability until end of turn, but otherwise it seems good.

Ogre Chainbreaker - 3RR
Creature-Ogre - R
Haste, Trample
Ogre Chainbreaker ignores all spells and abilities that would tap it, or prevent it from attacking
5/5

something Blue and white that isn't control

ezkajii
2015-02-05, 02:46 PM
Seems just a smidge on the strong side of things; I would recommend losing either haste or trample, so it just has one of the two.

Knowledge is Power 1WB
Enchantment - C
Whenever you draw a card, you may choose to immediately sacrifice that card to put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

Next Challenge: A 0-cost card that deals with exile in some way.

r2d2go
2015-02-05, 02:56 PM
Seems just a smidge on the strong side of things; I would recommend losing either haste or trample, so it just has one of the two.

Knowledge is Power 1WB
Enchantment - C
Whenever you draw a card, you may choose to immediately sacrifice that card to put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

Next Challenge: A 0-cost card that deals with exile in some way.

Should be "discard", not "sacrifice". Otherwise, it's decent card, but pretty weak and more blue-black or red-black. Still, cool concept.

Deep Burial B
Instant - U
Exile target card in a graveyard.
Draw a card.

Challenge: Another cantrip.

braveheart
2015-02-05, 03:45 PM
isn't that just cremate with a different name? also he said 0 cost

Search Records U
instant - U
scry 2
draw a card

something with an additional cost, be it kicker, entwine, or other

Jormengand
2015-02-05, 03:56 PM
Search Records needs a type line, but honestly it probably doesn't matter whether it's an instant or a sorcery. Common sorcery or uncommon instant, maybe.

Glorious Retrieval WW
Sorcery - R
Multikicker - Sacrifice a creature.
Revivify. Then, for each time Glorious Retrieval was kicked, Revivify (To revivify, return a card from exile to your hand.)
Otherworlder PP (If this card is in exile, you may pay PP. If you do, cast it from exile.)

Next: Create a card with a new keyword, keyword action, or ability word, or one from this thread.

braveheart
2015-02-05, 04:14 PM
each creature you sac pulls something from exile, I guess it's not too ridiculous.

Thunderstorm 2UR
Enchantment - Weather - R
(whenever a Weather Enchantment enters the battlefield each player sacrifices each other Weather they control)
At the beginning of each player's end step That Player may pay R if they do then Thunderstorm deals 2 damage to target creature

do with that what you will and by that I mean make a weather enchantment

Jormengand
2015-02-05, 04:23 PM
The thing is, worlds were disbanded because the effect barely ever came into play. That said, I guess that the problem can be rectified by making lots of cards with that effect...

Also, Weather should really be a subtype or supertype to stop things like Silence until end of turn from allowing two weathers to coexist:

A Beam of Light 2WW
Enchantment - Weather R
(Whenever a Weather enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices each other Weather they control.)
At the start of each player's upkeep, that player gains 5 life.

Next: Another card which benefits all players equally.

braveheart
2015-02-05, 04:34 PM
excellent point about making it a subtype, and that one will make for a very long game

Tempt with Nothing 0
sorcery-R (unglued)
Do nothing
Each player may do nothing
For each player that does nothing you may do nothing an additional time
What was I doing again?

now for a real one

Dense fog 3U
Enchantment - Weather - R
(Whenever a Weather Enchantment enters the battlefield each player sacrifices each Weather that they control)
All permanents have Isolation (spells and abilities which effect "each" or "all" do not effect this permanent)

make something blue

1pwny
2015-02-05, 04:56 PM
Very cool. I like the "Weather" tag, and I'll have to make some of them soon.

Bounced - 1U
Instant - C
Return target spell to its owner's hand.
That never happened!

Challenge: Multikicker

Ninjaman
2015-02-05, 05:05 PM
Worse Remand, not very interesting or useful.

Flamekick Grandmaster - 1R
Creature - Human Monk - R
Multikicker - R
When Flamekick Grandmaster enters the battlefield, for each time it was kicked, it deals 1 damage to target creature.
2/2

Create a burnspell that is a second color (red plus something else).

braveheart
2015-02-05, 05:11 PM
nice simple, makes sense and has a nice effect for the kicker

Psi Burn 1UURR
sorcery - R
Deal 5 damage to target player.
if this damage reduces an opponent's life total to 0 or less Draw 3 cards

Make something that is best in multiplayer

thatonesungod
2015-02-05, 05:34 PM
so. its dual color worse lava axe, so it will never see limited or constructed play, but maybe in commander if you need a 100rth card

Council's Executioner 3B
Creature-Human Warrior U
Will of the council-when Councils Executioner attacks each player starting with you votes for a creature, destroy each creature with the votes or tied for the most
2/3

make something with flavor(and no food)

ezkajii
2015-02-05, 05:36 PM
Makes sense to me. Maybe doesn't need double of each color though? 3UR or something? That's all I got.

Necrovore
Enchantment - U
When another player loses, if that player lost by losing life, you gain life equal to the amount they lost that caused them to lose.

[ugh the wording on that is clumsy]

Next Challenge: A creature that makes excellent use of Flash.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the concept but I worry about a playing field with a lot of creatures on it; maybe it could go through will of the council twice, once to nominate creatures and then to vote?

Mind-Scrambler 2BBUU
Creature - Horror
As long as Mind-Scrambler is on the battlefield, each player casts a random spell from their hand, without paying its mana cost, once per turn as their only non-combat action.

"The creature was sealed away for a REASON! The world cannot function with this thing in its midst. That the gods even crafted such a creature is cremond beyohensprin. W'tul faa zhuf pshghk?!" - General Perotolsk, to the idiot that released the mind scrambler. That conversation didn't end well.

4/3

Next Challenge: Something that IS food-related.

spikeof2010
2015-02-05, 05:54 PM
Oh my, fun fun! And good flavoring. I'd love to have this card in my library for sure.

Blueberry Steak Frosting UU
Instant U

Target blocking creature is now under your control until your next endstepp.

If you convince them that their mage prepared this, of course they'd switch sides.

Make something with Suspend 5 turns.

CantigThimble
2015-02-05, 06:03 PM
I see what you're getting at but the wording isn't mtg standard, it would be more like:
Players cannot cast spells or activate abilities.
At the beginning of each player's pre-combat main phase that player reveals their hand and casts a spell at random chose from among those revealed.
It would also be more in flavor, and better, as a black/red card, blue very rarely gives up control of it's magic while red and black are both perfectly willing to (If there's enough fun or profit in it). In addition blue spells often need proper timing (counterspells and tap effects) while red doesn't care nearly as much.

Past that, it's a powerful effect for locking down your opponent once you get some board control.

Fondue Pot 4
Artifact
3,T: Exile target creature and all auras and counters on it, at the beginning of the next upkeep return it to the battlefield, put all exiled counters on it and put all exiled auras onto the battlefield attached to it. Then put 2 +1/+1 counters on it.

braveheart
2015-02-05, 06:11 PM
It's too cheap, that sort of effect us usually red and 4 mana, it has been blue before but only weaker versions. the blocker restriction helps but it is definitely too cheap

Ritual Demon 4BBB
Creature - Demon - R
Flying, Deathtouch
BB: suspend 5

make a wall

thatonesungod
2015-02-05, 06:30 PM
its, this thing isnt blocked this turn, with some interesting cornercases and...passable flavor

Chronoshifting 16
Sorcery MR
Suspend 5-(7)
Exile each permanent target player controls, for each card exiled this way that player may search their library for a permanent and put it into play under their control
the bounds of time itself unhinged

make something that if cast will win you the game(and not target player wins/loses the game... NO COP OUTS)

braveheart
2015-02-05, 06:58 PM
so you pay 7 mana, wait 5 turns, then win the game that is fine but would only see play in EDH decks

Poison - BBBBBBBBBBBGGGG
sorcery - MR
Poison the Rations cannot be countered
Every opponent receives 11 poison counters
This spell can only be cast if there are no creatures on the battlefield

That's 11 black mana and 4 green mana

use poison counters in a balanced way

Fortuna
2015-02-05, 07:04 PM
You know why this is a terrible idea. There's no more that needs saying here.

Plaguebearer 1BB
Creature - Human Zombie R
Cumulative upkeep: Get a poison counter
Infect
4/4

Make a common with CMC 6 or more that is not a creature.

1pwny
2015-02-05, 08:47 PM
That's... really dangerous. You'd have to rely on Melira, or you're dead in 4 turns. Like, actually. 1 counter, then 3 (total), then 6 (total), then 10 (total). Pretty scary. Even playing commander only extends your life for 1 more turn.

Follows the "Pay X, draw (X+1)/2" rule for blue commons.

Expedition to the Great Library - 5UU
Sorcery - C
Draw 4 cards.

Challenge: Something with two keywords not seen on this page (of the contest)

r2d2go
2015-02-06, 02:11 AM
It's a weak common, meh. Also, that's definitely not any sort of formula for "blue commons". That works for Divination, but that's pretty much it. This is a very weak card, costing 1U more than Tidings for the same effect (and no, Uncommon to Common does not justify that) and 1 more than Opportunity which acts at instant speed. You can do better than that.

Sultai Guild-Traveler 2UBG
Creature - Snake U
Skulk - Whenever ~ attacks and isn't blocked, you may draw a card.
Wallow - Whenever ~ attacks or blocks, you may exile a card from your graveyard. If you do, ~ gains fear until end of turn.
Whenever ~ Wallows or activates Skulk, it gains +2/+2 until end of turn.
2/2

Challenge: Something simple, but not boring - something like one interesting ability that's not too complex. Or if that's too hard, something simpler than the above, but not boring :smalltongue:

ezkajii
2015-02-06, 02:29 AM
Definitely an interesting creature. It seems like a person would probably just activate all three abilities most turns; I would, anyway.

Longtail Dragon 2RRR
Creature - Dragon U
Widestrike (When Longtail Dragon attacks, you may divide its damage among up to three target creatures or players.)

I'd heard of a tail swipe but this is unreal.

3/3

Next: A legendary with an ability that interacts somehow with other legendaries.

Zaydos
2015-02-06, 03:14 AM
Longtail Dragon 2RRR
Creature - Dragon U
Widestrike (When Longtail Dragon attacks, you may divide its damage among up to three target creatures or players.)

I'd heard of a tail swipe but this is unreal.

3/3

Doesn't need to be keyworded (note lonewolf, thorn elemental, etc), it's odd that you can divide it to creatures that are not blocking it, but mechanically it functions. It puts itself at noticeable risk to blast off weak creatures which have non-combat effects. Might be a little overly color intensive, but I'm not really sure about that.

Next: A legendary with an ability that interacts somehow with other legendaries.

Tim, the Evoker Enchanter 1RR
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard R
T: Deal 1 damage to target creature.
T, Reveal a card from your hand: Deal X damage to target legendary creature where X is the converted mana cost of the revealed card.
Grandeur - Discard another card named Tim, the Evoker Enchanter: Search your library for a red Instant with a converted mana cost of 5 or more, reveal it then put it into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Challenge: Make a donkey.
1/1

r2d2go
2015-02-06, 03:24 AM
Doesn't need to be keyworded (note lonewolf, thorn elemental, etc), it's odd that you can divide it to creatures that are not blocking it, but mechanically it functions. It puts itself at noticeable risk to blast off weak creatures which have non-combat effects. Might be a little overly color intensive, but I'm not really sure about that.

Tim, the Evoker Enchanter 1RR
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard R
T: Deal 1 damage to target creature.
T, Reveal a card from your hand: Deal X damage to target legendary creature where X is the converted mana cost of the revealed card.
Grandeur - Discard another card named Tim, the Evoker Enchanter: Search your library for a red Instant with a converted mana cost of 5 or more, reveal it then put it into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Challenge: Make a donkey.
1/1

Insane in commander where you know you'll be instakilling commanders left and right. Outside of that, it's pretty mediocre. Maybe a sideboard for a set where legends dies are very in-meta?

Stubborn Mule 2G
Creature - Donkey Horse U
If ~ would leave the battlefield, instead tap it.
4 - ~ loses the above ability until end of turn, then exile ~. Any player may activate this ability.
Isn't that redundant?
1/1

Challenge: Something with contrasting P/T and CMC (like a 5/5 for 1 or a 1/1 for 5).

ezkajii
2015-02-06, 09:44 AM
Very interesting mechanic, giving other players direct access to the creature like that. I like it!

Gaeyon, the Immortal - 4WG
Creature - Human Druid - R
Indestructible, Hexproof.
When Gaeyon, the Immortal would leave the battlefield for any reason, shuffle it into it's controller's library.
Some seek power by shaping the world around them. Some realize that power lies in being an unshakeable element of the landscape.
2/1

Challenge: A large mono-purple creature

Jormengand
2015-02-06, 12:33 PM
It's... actually bad. The shuffle line is usually used to stop people getting their stuff back. Also you mean owner's, not controller's - things can go under other people's control on the battlefield or the stack, but not into other people's hands, libraries, graveyards or exile zones.

You are exceptionally lucky you got me, because most people would have had a go at you for that challenge.

Purgation Legion 3PPP
Creature - Purgator C
Judgement (Whenever a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature dies, exile it instead.)
6/6

Next: Another card representing multiple creatures.

ezkajii
2015-02-06, 01:02 PM
It's... actually bad. The shuffle line is usually used to stop people getting their stuff back. Also you mean owner's, not controller's - things can go under other people's control on the battlefield or the stack, but not into other people's hands, libraries, graveyards or exile zones.

Fascinating! I always figured that that way, you've got a chance of drawing it again, and don't have to rely on cards to drag it out of your graveyard. And yes, I meant owner's. Whoops! What if I were to switch it to 'Whenever ~ would be removed from the battlefield for any reason, return it to its owner's hand.'?

You are exceptionally lucky you got me, because most people would have had a go at you for that challenge.

Wait, what was wrong with my challenge?

r2d2go
2015-02-06, 01:16 PM
Wait, what was wrong with my challenge?

Most people dislike anything that forces people to use purple, as it's very nonstandard to magic and it's messing with core mechanics (in case you didn't know, it's never been printed and is unofficial, pushed mostly by Jorm). It also disrupts the normal 5-color interactions, takes some mechanics that normally belong to other colors (exile), and overall doesn't seem particularly necessary to do anything, since most things could belong to existing colors (e.g. One Eye Open is blue).

Anyway, Legion is fine. A decent common.

Rabbit Warren GG
Enchantment - R
G, discard a card: Put a 1/1 rabbit creature onto the battlefield.
If you have 3 or more rabbits on the battlefield, you may sacrifice Rabbit Warren. If you do, put a 3/3 Rabbit Mother token onto the battlefield with "T - put a 1/1 rabbit creature onto the battlefield."

Challenge: Something else green.

ezkajii
2015-02-06, 01:28 PM
Most people dislike anything that forces people to use purple

Oh, I just figured it was fair game since it was in the name of the thread.

Zaydos
2015-02-06, 01:28 PM
Rabbit Warren 2GG
Enchantment - R
G, discard a card: Put a 1/1 rabbit creature onto the battlefield.
If you have 3 or more rabbits on the battlefield, you may sacrifice Rabbit Warren. If you do, put a 3/3 Rabbit Mother token onto the battlefield with "T - put a 1/1 rabbit creature onto the battlefield."

7 mana over 1 more turns and 4 cards for 3 1/1 tokens and a bigger doomsayer without fateful hour. I think you could cut the warren's cost down to 1G or GG. Either it's early game and you need your land drops, or its late game and the mana cost isn't too important.

Challenge: Something else green.

Vital Resurgence 4GGGG
Instant R
Remove all poison counters on you, then gain 20 life, and regenerate each creature and land you control.
The Plague Storms wiped across Delyn, destroying the fertile valleys, and throughout the winter rained destruction upon the forests of Talmyr. Then spring came and the forests sprung anew.

Challenge: Big Black sorcery/instant.

Jormengand
2015-02-06, 01:42 PM
Oh, I just figured it was fair game since it was in the name of the thread.

The name of the thread is a joke on how people don't like it, and get very upset. Some overmuch.

Vital Resurgence: Woooooah. Hilarious way to respond to wrath, though.

Coup de Grace 4BB
Sorcery - R
Target player loses 2 life for each permanent you control. Exile Coup de Grace.
"The only time your opponent should know the details of your plan is the moment before his death."
- Birondelle

Next: A legendary green creature. If you feel like making the Gidai guild leader, bonus points. :smalltongue:

thatonesungod
2015-02-06, 05:41 PM
its, good, but, ballanced is all i can say, you clearly threw that exile clause in there for purple interaction but ksjehgsjks

Rei, Dragons Heart 4GG
Legendary Creature-Human Dragon MR
G: Tap target Creature
=>: as long as an opponent controls 5 or more islands or 5 or more mountains, transform Rei
2/3
The heart of a dragon beats strong within her
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Rayquaza, Dragon Ascendant
Flying, Trample
Rayquaza gets +1/+1 for each island and each mountain an opponent controls
GGG: destroy target blue or red creature
5/5
The might of a dragon, Unleashed

make a beast

r2d2go
2015-02-06, 08:16 PM
The first ability is often powerful than the entirety of Rayquaza unless facing a creature-based blue/red late-game deck (functionally nonexistent), and is a completely blue and not very green ability. See, the human can use the tap at instant speed and thus even if removed, will get value. Rayquaza gets Doombladed or Oblivion Ringed and is gone - perhaps taking out a couple blue or red creaturse (if they're available). However, 3 mana to destroy the typically aggressive, low cost red creatures is too much to save you, while most blue creatures will be well-protected win conditions or early game defense (which tapping bypasses usually just as well). Overall this is a very strange card, and very complicated, which isn't necessarily bad... But it's probably overpowered, almost certainly off-color, and what should be the "unleashed" form is actually not particularly stronger than the non-unleashed form. I could see this working, but right now, not so much.

Also, the exile in Coup de Grace, as far as I can tell, is not for purple interaction, but because in the game it's based off of (War of Omens), that card destroys itself after use.

Gruul Charger 3RG
Creature - Beast U
Trample
Mount 2, 1RG (1RG - Exile ~ attached to target creature. That creature gains +2/+2 and Trample. When that creature dies, return ~ to the battlefield. It gains haste.)
4/4

Challenge: Something else with Mount. Or, something with a new keyword.

Ionbound
2015-02-06, 08:36 PM
Uh, I think the mount cost should probably be more than or the same as the CMC, not less. Otherwise, it seems fine.

Kessig Bard-2GG

Creature-Human Werewolf-U

T: Tap Target Creature.

At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Kessig Forester.

2/2

Werewolf Howlsinger

Creature-Werewolf

Howl 3 (Tap 3 Creatures you control; Put 3 +1/+1 counters on this creature)

At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Werewolf Howlsinger.

4/4

Challenge: Create another werewolf.

Zaydos
2015-02-06, 08:48 PM
Kessig Bard-2GG

Creature-Human Werewolf-U

T: Tap Target Creature.

At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Kessig Forester.

2/2

Werewolf Howlsinger

Creature-Werewolf

Howl 3 (Tap 3 Creatures you control; Put 3 +1/+1 counters on this creature)

At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Werewolf Howlsinger.

4/4

Reasonable mana-wise, but Kessig Bard's ability is kind of off color; would be more Green to be "T: Target creature must block another target creature this turn if able." I like Howl as an ability, the keyword thematically links it to wolves and werewolves, which might be restrictive, but the bigger question is it Howl X (Tap X put X) or is one of those numbers unaffected by the others?

Challenge: Create another werewolf.

Silverwood Seer GG
Creature - Elf Werewolf U
Hexproof
When ~ enters the battlefield draw a card.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform ~
0/1
Preternatural insight allow the seers of Silverwood to survive its horrors.

-

Silverfur Rampager
(Green color indicator) Creature - Werewolf
Trample
~ attacks each turn if able.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform ~
4/3
It does not warn them that they are amongst its horrors.

Challenge: Gruul.

Ionbound
2015-02-06, 08:51 PM
It would be Howl X. The original idea was to have it be an effect, but I figured for an uncommon, just counters would be reasonable enough. Maybe a different card would, sorta like monstrosity.

r2d2go
2015-02-06, 08:52 PM
Seems very powerful, but that's probably fine due to werewolf restrictions. Howl is interesting as a combat trick, as well. Overall a solid uncommon.

Do note that Mount, as an activated ability, requires you to first play the creature, then Mount (unlike Bestow), so it costs less.

Kol's Disciple 2UR
Creature - Human Werewolf R
T - Put a 1/1 Weird token onto the battlefield.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Kol's Disciple.
2/2

Kol's Howler
Creature - Werewolf R
Howl 1
If you tap a weird for Howl, put an additional +1/+1 counters on ~.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Weirds you control gain +1/+0 until end of turn.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Kol's Howler.
2/2

It seems like a reasonable substitute for Wall of Blossoms even without transforming, which makes it pretty strong already. The extra transform capabilities pushes it into what I would consider rare range, but I suppose it could just be a strong uncommon.

Gruul Spike-Lasher 1RG
Creature - Beast R
Doublestrike
Mount 1, 3RG (3RG - Exile ~ attached to target creature. That creature gains +1/+1 and doublestrike. If that creature leaves the battlefield, return ~ to the battlefield. It gains haste.)
2/1

Challenge: Something CMC 2 or less with Doublestrike, but is fairly costed. Or, Izzet.

spikeof2010
2015-02-06, 11:05 PM
Seems like Bestow, except more green and red flavored. I haven't played enough Magic, but is Mount an actual keyword or one made up in the thread?

Double Take - 1R

Sorcery U

Kicker - 3
Target Creature you control gains double strike.

If Double Take was kicked, replace Target Creature with All Creatures.

If you time it fast enough, you can evade the attack animation for 10 frames!

Make a PUG pug.

r2d2go
2015-02-06, 11:25 PM
I just made it up a few challenges ago. And yeah, it's similar to Bestow, but you get the creature first and the enchantment second, unlike Bestow. It's also intended to be all colors (mounts that give other-colored keywords can be other colors, e.g. flying mounts would be generally blue or white).

Sea Roc 2UU
Creature - Bird U
Flying
Mount 1, 1UU
3/3

Rider's Watchwolf 2WG
Creature - Wolf U
Vigilance
Mount 2, 1WG
3/3

Hellsteed 1RB
Creature - Demon Horse U
Haste, Trample
Mount 0, RB
3/1

Anyway, that's cheating a little bit :smalltongue: also, your kicker has an existing name called Overload, which is an Izzet keyword that says "You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of 'target' with 'each'." So hey, you inadvertently fulfilled both parts of the challenge for bonus points! :smallbiggrin: As to the power level of the card itself, it's a little too powerful - the normal casting is overpriced, since Assault Strobe is the same for just R, but the additional "option" is a bit underpriced, capable of instantly ending the game in one color with tiny color weight. Generally, flexibility should cost additional drawbacks or mana, so the kicker/overload needs to cost more, IMO.

Also, as noted above, it's somewhat frowned upon to make challenges necessarily purple. Not that I won't take it, and not that you can't make purple challenges (within reason), but you might want to keep it in mind. Similarly, I try to only use something I've made up in a challenge when I add an alternate option for those who would prefer not to.

Otherworldly Pug PUG
Creature - Dog U
Evolve
You may cast ~ from exile. If you do, it enters the battlefield with 6 power until end of turn.
It seems that these strange creatures encourage evolution in our experiments. Further study is required.
3/1

(So, unless you can haste it somehow, it's a good evolve trigger on top of a reasonable body.)

Challenge: Something that's tricolored, but belongs to two or three guilds rather than a clan of Tarkir.

Edit: Actually, why the heck not, I'll make a megacycle of mounts :smalltongue: here's the first of a few...

Sea Roc 2UU
Creature - Bird U
Flying
Mount 1, 1UU
3/3

Spirit Mare 2WW
Creature - Horse Spirit U
Lifelink, Vigilance
Mount 1, 1WW
3/3

Skeletal Steed 2BB
Creature - Horse Skeleton U
B - Regenerate ~.
Mount 1, 1BB
3/3

Riding Ridgeback 2GG
Creature - Beast U
Trample
Mount 2, 1GG
4/4

Harnessed Hellcat 2RR
Creature - Cat U
Haste
Mount 1, 1RR
3/3

Zaydos
2015-02-07, 03:38 AM
I just made it up a few challenges ago. And yeah, it's similar to Bestow, but you get the creature first and the enchantment second, unlike Bestow. It's also intended to be all colors (mounts that give other-colored keywords can be other colors, e.g. flying mounts would be generally blue or white).

Sea Roc 2UU
Creature - Bird U
Flying
Mount 1, 1UU
3/3

Rider's Watchwolf 2WG
Creature - Wolf U
Vigilance
Mount 2, 1WG
3/3

Hellsteed 1RB
Creature - Demon Horse U
Haste, Trample
Mount 0, RB
3/1

Anyway, that's cheating a little bit :smalltongue: also, your kicker has an existing name called Overload, which is an Izzet keyword that says "You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of 'target' with 'each'." So hey, you inadvertently fulfilled both parts of the challenge for bonus points! :smallbiggrin: As to the power level of the card itself, it's a little too powerful - the normal casting is overpriced, since Assault Strobe is the same for just R, but the additional "option" is a bit underpriced, capable of instantly ending the game in one color with tiny color weight. Generally, flexibility should cost additional drawbacks or mana, so the kicker/overload needs to cost more, IMO.

Also, as noted above, it's somewhat frowned upon to make challenges necessarily purple. Not that I won't take it, and not that you can't make purple challenges (within reason), but you might want to keep it in mind. Similarly, I try to only use something I've made up in a challenge when I add an alternate option for those who would prefer not to.

Otherworldly Pug PUG
Creature - Dog U
Evolve
You may cast ~ from exile. If you do, it enters the battlefield with 6 power until end of turn.
It seems that these strange creatures encourage evolution in our experiments. Further study is required.
3/1

(So, unless you can haste it somehow, it's a good evolve trigger on top of a reasonable body.)

Ah, I was hoping Mount would be a Gruul mechanic because it works as a Gruul one and could have a deck built around it, maybe. It's at least interesting as one.

As for the pug... it's a pug.

Challenge: Something that's tricolored, but belongs to two or three guilds rather than a clan of Tarkir.

Edit: Actually, why the heck not, I'll make a megacycle of mounts :smalltongue: here's the first of a few...

Sea Roc 2UU
Creature - Bird U
Flying
Mount 1, 1UU
3/3

Spirit Mare 2WW
Creature - Horse Spirit U
Lifelink, Vigilance
Mount 1, 1WW
3/3

Skeletal Steed 2BB
Creature - Horse Skeleton U
B - Regenerate ~.
Mount 1, 1BB
3/3

Riding Ridgeback 2GG
Creature - Beast U
Trample
Mount 2, 1GG
4/4

Harnessed Hellcat 2RR
Creature - Cat U
Haste
Mount 1, 1RR
3/3

Tidal Sphinx 2(G/W)U
Creature - Sphinx Mutant
Flying
Evolve
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on ~ you may detain target non-land permanent.
1/4

Challenge: Another card belonging to two guilds.

Jormengand
2015-02-07, 08:34 AM
its, good, but, ballanced is all i can say, you clearly threw that exile clause in there for purple interaction

Actually, it's because the card it's based on destroys itself after use.

Tidal Sphinx: Ouch. It seems as though it could get pretty nasty pretty fast.

Hunter Outcast 1PBG
Creature - Human Hunter R
Paragon - If Hunter Outcast has the highest power among creatures you control, it gets Outcast and Isolation (It can't be exiled and abilities which affect "All" or "Each" don't affect it.)
4/4

Next: A creature with a new keyword, keyword action or ability word.

r2d2go
2015-02-07, 09:05 PM
Actually, it's because the card it's based on destroys itself after use.

Tidal Sphinx: Ouch. It seems as though it could get pretty nasty pretty fast.

Hunter Outcast 1PBG
Creature - Human Hunter R
Paragon - If Hunter Outcast has the highest power among creatures you control, it gets Outcast and Isolation (It can't be exiled and abilities which affect "All" or "Each" don't affect it.)
4/4

Next: A creature with a new keyword, keyword action or ability word.

I don't know if a slightly removal-resistant 4/4 for 4 in three colors is worth rare. I'm also not sure this is very black/green - Isolation seems white mechanically and blue, maybe black flavor-wise. Outcast seems blue mechanically, and again blue maybe black in flavor. It's a fine card, but this is probably the weirdest combination of almost vanilla and confusingly abnormal I've seen :smalltongue:

Assault Swine 1RG
Creature - Boar U
Assault - When ~ attacks, you may have it Fight target creature. If you do, remove it from combat.
4/2

Challenge: Something else that uses an existing keyword in a new way.

Zaydos
2015-02-07, 09:22 PM
I don't know if a slightly removal-resistant 4/4 for 4 in three colors is worth rare. I'm also not sure this is very black/green - Isolation seems white mechanically and blue, maybe black flavor-wise. Outcast seems blue mechanically, and again blue maybe black in flavor. It's a fine card, but this is probably the weirdest combination of almost vanilla and confusingly abnormal I've seen :smalltongue:

Isolation as a protective effect is most similar to its opposite Shroud, and probably falls under Green. That said for balance reasons it should not be White (too many field wipes), might be able to get by as Black or Red, but Green and Blue have too easy access to Hexproof.

Assault Swine 1RG
Creature - Boar U
Assault - When ~ attacks, you may have it Fight target creature. If you do, remove it from combat.
4/2

3 drop, potentially reusable deal 4 damage to target creature; a strong 2 mana sorcery... I think it should probably cost 4 mana or be a 3/2, but it's close. This does give them a turn to deal with it, but its reusability makes it worth a lot more.

Challenge: Something else that uses an existing keyword in a new way.

Aether Clouds
Land U
Flash (You may play this card whenever you could cast a sorcery)
If Aether Clouds entered the battlefield at any time other than one of your main phases it enters the battlefield tapped and does not untap during your next untap step.

(I don't think flash has been used to get in extra land drops :P, not really sure it should be)

Challenge: Make a double 0 agent.

r2d2go
2015-02-07, 10:01 PM
Err...

305.3. A player can't play a land, for any reason, if it isn't his or her turn. Ignore any part of an effect that instructs a player to do so.

I agree with you, it shouldn't be used with flash. It's a very cool idea, but it would take specific overriding of a rule that overrides shenanigans to override the sorcery-speed land drop rule :smalltongue: it could probably be balanced if it didn't come in tapped, but prevented you from playing lands the following turn.

Anyway, I'm not sure I know enough about this challenge to be sure I'm doing it justice, but eh, that's the risk you take when you make a challenge about something like that.

Double-0 Agent 2UB
Creature - Spy R
~ can't be blocked.
2, T - Destroy target artifact or tapped creature.
3/2

Challenge: Something dual colored, but rather than being a guild card, belonging to two clans. Edit: Or something big.

thatonesungod
2015-02-09, 11:45 AM
its a decent creature with an edge case abillity, fine i guess

Rising sun's blessing 2WWW
Enchantment-Aura R
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has +4/+4 lifelink and is an archon in addition to its other types
This is the power of the rising sun

make something EVILL, or a demon/devil

mystic1110
2015-02-09, 11:53 AM
Aether Clouds
Land U
Flash (You may play this card whenever you could cast a sorcery)
If Aether Clouds entered the battlefield at any time other than one of your main phases it enters the battlefield tapped and does not untap during your next untap step.

Not an entry - but just trying to make this work . . . maybe:

Aether Clouds
Land U
At the beginning of an opponent's untap phase, you may reveal Aether Clouds from your hand. If you do you may place it on the battlefield tapped, and does not untap during your next untap step.

CantigThimble
2015-02-09, 12:23 PM
It's alright, probably a little too heavy white. It doesn't mitigate any of the vulnerabilities of auras so it's not too powerful.

Fleshforge Engineer 1R
Creature - Devil
T: Sacrifice a creature, add RRR to your mana pool, use this mana only to cast artifact spells or activate the abilities of artifacts.
2/1

Make a blue soldier.

braveheart
2015-02-09, 12:44 PM
It doesn't seem to strong, but you couldn't really cost it lower and I guess it could work in an artifact heavy deck ,also you neglected to give a rarity

Azorius Guardsman - 1U
Creature - Soldier - C
Defender
T: detain target creature
1/4

Make a sliver (if you aren't familiar with slivers they give a benefit to either all slivers or, in more recent sets, slivers you control)

Jormengand
2015-02-09, 12:52 PM
Functional Azorius creature, though at common I'd bump the T down by one.

Warpspawn Sliver 2P
Creature - Sliver R
Slivers you control have Judgement (Whenever a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by them dies, exile it)
2/3

Next: An Epic spell.

braveheart
2015-02-09, 02:09 PM
Judgment on slivers, it works, although slivers have always had equal power and toughness before abilities, to help simplify the process of determining what the sliver actually it

Purgator Stream 6PPP
Sorcery
Put an X/X Purgator token into play, where X is the number of cards in your hand
Epic (For the rest of the game, you can't cast spells. At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for its epic ability.)

make a mono red creature

Jormengand
2015-02-09, 02:17 PM
Surely it should put an X/X purgator creature token with Judgement onto the battlefield under your control, where X is the number of cards you own in exile? :smalltongue:

Wild Pyromancer 2R
Creature - Human Mage R
When you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Wild Pyromancer deals 1 damage to each creature.
Do you like to play with fire?
3/2

Next: A mono-blue creature.