PDA

View Full Version : MtG: YMTC challenge II: The Purple Blues

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

CantigThimble
2015-03-04, 11:37 AM
Storm's best friend. I'm not sure how strong this is, obviously it's a very powerful effect but a 3 turn delay seems okay.

Time Gate 2UG
Sorcery M
For each creature you control, put a token copy of it onto the battlefield. Skip your next turn.
When the renforcements arrive, try not to touch, look at or think about them. There's a good chance the space-time continuum will implode if you do.

Make something that eats something else.

Zaydos
2015-03-04, 11:40 AM
Illusion of Choice
Sorcery U
(Illusion of Choice is blue)
Suspend 3 - U
Search your library for a card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
You can choose what, but you have to sacrifice the when. You can choose how at the cost of where. But only you will ever know why.

Might should be suspend 4 a little hard to judge (this is normally a 4 mana effect, the Ancestral Visions knock off was the same for a 4 mana effect but extremely powerful and would make it rare at least), but the bigger thing is unrestrained tutor is a Black effect. Blue gets it, but either your opponent gets a choice in the matter or it is something that permanently replaces your draw. The one truly unrestrained tutor effect in Blue is Unhinged (Johnny the Combo Player). Where as Black gets it all the time.

Next: Something to do with time.

Time Wave 2UU
Enchantment MR
When ~ enters the battlefield put 3 time counters on each creature.
At the beginning of a player's upkeep remove 1 time counter from each creature they control.
When the last time counter is removed from a creature return it to its owner's hand.
If no creatures have time counters on them return Time Wave to your hand.

Time Gate 2UG
Sorcery M
For each creature you control, put a token copy of it onto the battlefield. Skip your next turn.
When the renforcements arrive, try not to touch, look at or think about them. There's a good chance the space-time continuum will implode if you do.

Clunky. The turn lost is painful, but as a double sided effect for CMC 5 it's still undercost at a 4 drop and should probably be a 5 drop (Green doesn't field wipe well). At which skipping your next turn makes it painful and eating your next turn while making it a lot weaker is also so awkward that it will usually not be worth using unless you have control of the game already in which case you don't need it.

Make something that eats something else.

Cannibal Spider 2GB
Creature - Spider U
Deathtouch, Reach
Sacrifice a creature: Put 2 +1/+1 counters on ~ and untap ~.
1/3

Challenge: Make a demigod.

Jormengand
2015-03-04, 12:02 PM
Huh. It works, I guess. Though dropping two Gather the Townsfolks on it in your Fateful Hour may cause excessive silliness for a 4-drop. You might, actually, consider making it a Q ability so you can't use it so much in one turn.

Jormungandr, the World Serpent 3UB
Legendary Creature - Serpent Demigod R
Infect
If your devotion to black and to blue isn't less than 6, Jormungandr, the World Serpent gets +4/+4.
1/3

I like the demigod mechanic, but... hrrm. Not convinced about the actual card.

Next: Another demigod that gets a bonus for a high devotion.

Blue Ghost
2015-03-04, 02:32 PM
Why in the world does Jormungandr have infect? I like the idea of the demigod mechanic as well. Jormungandr might be a bit too swingy; maybe a slightly smaller difference between the states? Also, this is definitely simple enough for common or uncommon, and not legendary.

Penitent Hero 4W
Creature - Demigod (U)
If your devotion to white is less than 5, Penitent Hero can't attack.
6/6

Next: Make a card for an online-only set that can't be done in paper Magic.

braveheart
2015-03-04, 03:54 PM
Balanced simple works, its not especially exciting, but it is a good card

Arbitrator's Fury 2RW
Sorcery - R
Destroy half the creatures on the battlefield rounded up, the creatures that are destroyed this way are selected randomly

I suppose you could find a way to randomize all the creatures on the battlefield in half, but it wouldn't be consistent

Make something that interacts with guildgates

Ninjaman
2015-03-04, 04:49 PM
That could easily be done in paper magic. Just roll enough dice. Seems fair and fun, though it probably wouldn't see play outside commander and tabletops.

Dimir Gatemaster - UB
Creature - Spirit - U
Dimir Gatemaster has hexproof and deathtouch if you control a card named "Dimir Guildgate".
You only meet the Dimir Gatemaster if you aren't allowed entrance.
2/2

Make another Gatemaster.

Zaydos
2015-03-04, 05:04 PM
Dimir Gatemaster - UB
Creature - Spirit - U
Dimir Gatemaster has hexproof and deathtouch if you control a card named "Dimir Guildgate".
You only meet the Dimir Gatemaster if you aren't allowed entrance.
2/2

Wouldn't see competitive play (because gates are that bad), but feels like for any format it would see use in it should be either a 3 drop (2/2 hexproof and deathtouch) or only get one of the two qualities. Also I'd have gone Intimidate over Deathtouch as a Black mechanic as Intimidate is much more Dimir's style.

Make another Gatemaster.

Selesnya Gatemaster GW
Creature - Spirit U
~ has Trample and Vigilance as long as you control a card named "Selesnya Guildgate"
2/2
(Trample is bad on a 2/2, Vigilance is a weaker keyword as well but allows for Convoke synergy)

Challenge: Make another card that cares about Gates.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-04, 05:56 PM
Pretty cool. Trample's pretty functional with all the buffing Selesnya can do, and vigilance is, as you say, synergistic with convoke. Definitely a good limited card.

Gate-Ward Legionnaire {R/W}
Creature-Human Soldier; U

As long as you control a card named "Boros Guildgate," Gate-Ward Legionnaire gets +1/+0 and double strike.

0/1

Next: Create a card from/inspired by Theros

r2d2go
2015-03-04, 08:00 PM
Would probably be fine as a 1/1 that gains doublestrike, but it's fine. Not particularly amazing or bad :smalltongue:

Maze Minotaur 2BB
Creature - Minotaur R
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, they must sacrifice a creature with toughness less than ~'s.
2/3

Challenge: Another creature with an effect that triggers during upkeep.

braveheart
2015-03-04, 08:17 PM
It works, and would do pretty well in a lot of formats

Hidden Rootcrafter 2G
Creature - Elf - R
Hexproof, Isolation (Spells and abilities that effect "each" or "all" do not effect this permanent)
At the beginning of each of your upkeeps put a */* Woodcrafted creature token with "this creatures power and toughness are equal to the number of Woodcrafted creatures you control" onto the battlefield
0/1

Something with variable power

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-05, 03:54 AM
That's pretty darned cool. I like isolation a lot. Reminds me somewhat of Pinocchio and Gepetto.

Bloodling 3BB
Creature-Vampire Shapeshifter; R

B: Bloodling gains flying until end of turn.
B: Bloodling gains lifelink until end of turn.
B: Until end of turn, whenever Bloodling deals combat damage to a creature or player, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
1: Bloodling gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
1: Bloodling gets -1/+1 until end of turn.

3/3

Next: Make a non-white and non-red card with double strike.

braveheart
2015-03-05, 01:03 PM
Interesting, it gives you a lot of options, all based on spending mana though because of the continuous costs it could probly be cast for 1 less but overall its a good card

Twin Hill Giants 4GG
Creature - Giant - R
Doublestrike, Trample
each is a force to fear on their own, but together only the gods can stand against them
4/6

something that uses +1/+1 counters, or -1/-1 counters, and/or poison counters

r2d2go
2015-03-05, 01:11 PM
Interesting, it gives you a lot of options, all based on spending mana though because of the continuous costs it could probly be cast for 1 less but overall its a good card

Twin Hill Giants 4GG
Creature - Giant - R
Doublestrike, Trample
each is a force to fear on their own, but together only the gods can stand against them
4/6

something that uses +1/+1 counters, or -1/-1 counters, and/or poison counters

That's very strong for the cost (clears deathtouchers and mooks, at least an 8/6 Trample for 6, gets better with buffs that green has plenty of), and also out of color with Doublestrike. 2RRGG would be more reasonable.

Mutant Splicer 3UG
Creature - Artificer U
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 3/3 colorless golem artifact creature token onto the battlefield.
Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature, put that many +1/+1 counters on a golem you control.
Golems you control have Infect.
1/1

Challenge: A mutant.

Zaydos
2015-03-05, 01:16 PM
Mutant Splicer 3UG
Creature - Artificer U
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 3/3 colorless golem artifact creature token onto the battlefield.
Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature, put that many +1/+1 counters on a golem you control.
Golems you control have Infect.
1/1

Compared to the other splicers it would be reasonable if it had either the +1/+1 or Infect, though could probably cost one less, but both is too much.

Challenge: A mutant.

Combine Infiltrator 2(G/B)U
Creature - Mutant Vampire U
Flying
Whenever you cast a spell with Cipher put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
2/2
Dimir's spies are everywhere. Even in the halls of Zameck they are watching, and plotting.

Challenge: Something that belongs to 2 guilds.

r2d2go
2015-03-05, 04:43 PM
Note that the +1/+1 ability applies only to the actual 1/1 body, not the golems.

Pretty reasonable, 2/2 flier with bonuses. Makes me want to make a Cipher deck :smalltongue:

Crashing Mutant 2(U/R)G
Creature - Mutant Beast
Trample, Evolve
Whenever ~ Evolves, you may have it fight target creature you don't control, then deal damage equal to ~'s power minus the targetted creature's toughness to its controller.
3/3

Challenge: More dual guild.

Zaydos
2015-03-05, 05:01 PM
Note that the +1/+1 ability applies only to the actual 1/1 body, not the golems.

Missed that. Still think it'd fit in better with the other slicers without that.

Crashing Mutant 2(U/R)G
Creature - Mutant Beast
Trample, Evolve
Whenever ~ Evolves, you may have it fight target creature you don't control, then deal damage equal to ~'s power minus the targetted creature's toughness.
3/3

Deal damage to what? The target creature? Itself? Another target?

Challenge: More dual guild.

Evolution Engine (R/G)U
Enchantment R
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
When the Simic Combine sought to perfect evolution they contracted Izzet Magelords for advice. While the Kraj Project took precedence, not all forgot the old blueprints for something else.

Challenge: Because I don't want to repeat that one again... ok I do but I won't... make a spellcaster.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-05, 06:19 PM
Pretty good. I could see myself splashing black so I could use cyphered cards with it.

Jace, The Mindstormer 2UU
Legendary Creature - Human Spellshaper R
{T}{U}, Discard two cards: Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.
One must think, before they can break

Challenge: Make a card that has a Tap five untapped creatures of a particular type (http://magiccards.info/query?q=O%3A%22Tap+five+untapped%22&v=card&s=cname) ability

braveheart
2015-03-05, 06:31 PM
He's missing a power and toughness, and you wind up loosing 1 card from your hand every time you use his ability, that honestly seems more like red draw than blue draw

Slivershaper Sliver - 4
Creature - Sliver - R
Tap five slivers you control: put a 3/3 colorless sliver token into play
3/3

make another sliver

Fortuna
2015-03-05, 07:30 PM
That's a sliver, sure enough. It's going to do what slivers do; get better with more slivers exponentially. Yay, slivers. The templating is not sliver-standard, but oh well.

Draining Sliver 1B
Creature - Sliver U
Slivers have echo with a cost equal to their mana cost.
1/1

Make a shard-coloured common aura enchantment.

Zaydos
2015-03-05, 07:38 PM
Draining Sliver 1B
Creature - Sliver U
Slivers have echo with a cost equal to their mana cost.
1/1

Old school sliver hate and reasonable. With new one-sided slivers might could be a 2/2.

Make a shard-coloured common aura enchantment.

Blessing of Titan's RGW
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains +5/+5

Challenge: Another demigod.

r2d2go
2015-03-05, 08:16 PM
Old school sliver hate and reasonable. With new one-sided slivers might could be a 2/2.

Blessing of Titan's RGW
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains +5/+5

Challenge: Another demigod.

A reasonable common, especially with Naya's theme. I'd run it in limited :smalltongue: would be interesting to see at higher rarity with more abilities.

Kol's Ascendant 2RUG
Creature - Demigod R
Trample, Haste
~ cannot activate its abilities if your devotion to red, blue and green is less than 8.
U(R/G) - Flip a coin. If heads, put a +1/+1 counter on ~. If tails, put a loyalty counter on ~.
Remove X loyalty counters from ~: Search your library for a Kol with CMC X. Put him onto the battlefield and move any remaining loyalty counters on ~ to Kol.
4/4

Challenge: Planeswalker interaction.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-06, 12:01 AM
The planeswalker interaction in your card is potentially interesting, if your deck has ways to move counters around (and Simic does). Not sure the abilities are really that strong, though, overall. The devotion requirement is really, really way too high, as well. Still, with some tweaking it could be cool. And more entries in the Temur weird set you've obviously got going are always welcome.

Ugin's Hedron 5
Legendary Artifact; MR

Planeswalkers you control have "+1: Add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool" in addition to their other abilities.
T: Target planeswalker you control loses all abilities until end of turn and gains "+2: Add 2 to your mana pool."

Placed on Zendikar aeons ago, Ugin told none of his allies about this last, critical, piece of plan to defeat the Eldrazi.

Next: Legendary colored artifact creature.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-06, 06:02 AM
It's okay, but if you have one or more planeswalkers out, you have better things to with them than make mana. It could also probably stand to cost 2 or 3 at the most.

Zer0 2UB
As a Number (http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/borderlands/images/6/6d/Zero01.png/revision/latest?cb=20120225231458)
Legendary Artifact Creature -- Assassin R
Unblockable
If Zero would be destroyed, exile it instead, then return it to the battlefield at the end of turn.
4/4

Challenge: Make a legendary spellshaper

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-06, 03:51 PM
Ok, that dude is pretty nasty and super persistent, but it doesn't really feel like an assassin. It's more just a standard beater that might as well be indestructible. As an assassin, it should probably have a way to kill other creatures. Also not getting much artifact flavor. Still, if weren't legendary (and I know that was the challenge) it could be a good finisher for control.

Also, I agree that, usually, you'll have better things to do with your planeswalkers than make mana. But consider this: some planeswalkers (like Sarkhan the Mad) don't have a means to add loyalty counters at all, and some planeswalkers (like Tibalt the Fiend-Blooded) have super crappy plus loyalty abilities. Some others, like Chandra Ablaze, have plus loyalty abilities that require you to do things you can't always do, like discarding a card. Some planeswalkers have plus loyalty abilities that won't always necessarily help you in a particular situation but are still the only means to get enough loyalty for the useful abilities (like Ajani Vengeant). Ugin's Hedron helps with all of those, by giving your planeswalker enormous flexibility in how they increase their loyalty, and by a means that is almost always at least not useless.

Xzyrc the Fire-Formed 1UR
Legendary Creature-Weird Spellshaper; R

1UR, T, discard a card: Xzyrc the Fire-Formed deals 2 damage divided as you choose among one or two target creatures your players and you draw a card.

1UUR, T, discard two cards: Counter target instant, sorcery, or activated ability. Xzyrc the Fire-Formed deals 2 damage divided as you choose among one or two target creatures or players.

3/1

Next: Make a -ling, like Aetherling (http://magiccards.info/query?q=aetherling&v=card&s=cname) or Torchling (http://magiccards.info/query?q=torchling&v=card&s=cname).

r2d2go
2015-03-06, 08:29 PM
Xzyrc the Fire-Formed 1UR
Legendary Creature-Weird Spellshaper; R

1UR, T, discard a card: Xzyrc the Fire-Formed deals 2 damage divided as you choose among one or two target creatures your players and you draw a card.

1UUR, T, discard two cards: Counter target instant, sorcery, or activated ability. Xzyrc the Fire-Formed deals 2 damage divided as you choose among one or two target creatures or players.

3/1

Next: Make a -ling, like Aetherling (http://magiccards.info/query?q=aetherling&v=card&s=cname) or Torchling (http://magiccards.info/query?q=torchling&v=card&s=cname).

So your hand is Electrolyze and counters? That's pretty cool, though I think the second ability would be better as just a counter but with only one discard - after all, if you want damage, you would have used the first ability :smalltongue:

Koling 2RUG
Creature - Weird R
1: ~ gets +1/-1 until EoT.
1: ~ gets -1/+1 until EoT.
R: ~ gets First Strike until EoT.
U: ~ gets Hexproof until EoT.
G: ~ gets Trample until EoT.
3/3

Challenge: A demon, angel and/or dragon.

Jormengand
2015-03-06, 08:48 PM
It's a ling. I'm not sure how it's supposed to fit into any strategy, though. Which is my main problem with lings in general; they don't seem to do anything specific. Also seems overcosted for what it actually ends up doing at the end of the day.

Lucifer, Servant of Heaven 3WB
Legendary Creature - Angel R
Flying, Lifelink
Other angels you control get +1/+1 and have lifelink.
When a god you control leaves the battlefield, transform Lucifer, Servant of Heaven.
4/4
////////////////////////
Lucifer, Prince of Hell
Legendary creature - Angel Demon R
Flying, Lifelink, Deathtouch
Other angels you control get +1/+1 and lifelink and are demons in addition to their other types.
Other demons you control get +1/+1 and have deathtouch.
6/6

Completion Dragon 6RR
Creature - Dragon U
When Completion Dragon enters the battlefield, the game is a draw.
Let's just get this thing over with...
4/4

Next: A wurm, purgator or illusion.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-07, 02:36 AM
A fun lord. I like it, except that I'm not sure he should be black-white to cast, but he's a good reason to mix black into an angel deck or a good finisher for control. Transform condition is flavorful.

Daemonhunter Justicar 2WW
Creature-Human Purgator Knight; R

Protection from Demons
Double strike, lifelink, vigilance
Whenever Daemonhunter Justicar would deal combat damage to a creature or player, you may instead have it deal damage equal to twice its power to target Demon.

3/3

Next: Make a pirate.

Ninjaman
2015-03-07, 05:14 AM
I see what you are trying to do, but it tries too much.

Bonebeard - 2UB
Legendary Creature - Skeleton Rogue - R
Whenever Bonebeard deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
B: Regenerate Bonebeard
3/1

Make something that draws a lot of cards.

Jormengand
2015-03-07, 10:56 AM
It's a skeleton. Which may draw more cards than it really should, but you just about end up paying for it, I suppose.

Nova of Time 2UB
Sorcery R
Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated. Each player draws cards equal to the number of nontoken creatures they control that are destroyed in this way.
Let's start this all over again.

Next: Make something flying without Flying or something Flying but not flying.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-07, 02:49 PM
It's okay, I suppose. Just seems like it would drag out a game to not much purpose, though if you've got the advantage in enchantments or atifacts it could be pretty decisive. Might also be a fun finisher, if you will, for a mill deck. Flavor text reminds me unpleasantly of Scheherazade or Karn Liberated's ultimate, but that's not really your fault. It's not a card I'd ever use, but I don't doubt it could be useful.

Firewing Destroyer 3RW
Creature-Angel Warrior; R

First strike
R: Firewing Destroyer gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
W: Until end of turn, target creature must block Firewing Destroyer if able.

"Why doesn't he just use those wings to fly?"
"He prefers to burn things with them."

3/4

Next: Make a card with life gain and card draw.

Lord Ruby34
2015-03-07, 03:24 PM
I know this goes against the spirit of the challenge, but this should still have flying. Also, all Angels in magic are female. It's a limited bomb, but I'm not sure it would actually be fun to play with or against. It works well mechanically though.

Open the Third Eye 1WU
Enchantment-Aura
Enchant Creature you control.
Cast Open the Third Eye only during your first main phase.
When Open the Third Eye enters the battlefield, tap enchanted creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep sacrifice Open the Third Eye.
When you sacrifice Open the Third Eye draw three cards and gain five five life.

Open the Third Eye 1WU
Enchantment-Aura U
Enchant an untapped creature you control.

Design a Dragonslayer.

Zaydos
2015-03-07, 03:58 PM
Open the Third Eye 1WU
Enchantment-Aura
Enchant Creature you control.
Cast Open the Third Eye only during your first main phase.

Needs a rarity, but as long as it was rare enough not to break limited it should work. 3 mana is cheap for draw 3, but it requires two colors and has play limits, including the opportunity to foil it with creature AND enchantment removal which more than makes up for 1 mana. The 5 life is icing which helps justify those restrictions and cost. Altogether really well-designed.

Design a Dragonslayer.

Dwarven Dragonslayer 1RR
Creature - Dwarf Warrior
~'s power is equal to the number of creatures you control.
When ~ blocks or is blocked by a dragon ~ gains Double Strike until end of turn.
T: Block target attacking dragon.
*/4
Short as they are you'd never imagine how high they can jump when angry.

Challenge: Make something from a tabletop RPG other than Magic the Gathering.

r2d2go
2015-03-07, 04:03 PM
This is... needlessly complex :smalltongue: you added two lines of text to prevent swinging and using this, but blue-white tends not to do that anyway. This would be fine at "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice ~, draw 3 cards and gain 5 life." Still, cool stuff.

Dragonslayer's Greatsword 5
Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets +5/+0 and may block dragons as if it had Reach.
When a dragon damaged by equipped creature dies that turn, transform ~.
Equip 2

Dragonslayer Spirit
Enchantment Creature - Spirit R
Flying, First Strike
Whenever ~ deals damage to a dragon, destroy it.
5/5

Alternatively...

Dragonslayer's Greatsword 4
Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets +5/+0 and "Whenever a dragon attacks, this creature gets First Strike and Reach."
Equip 3

Dragonslayer Dwarf is pretty cool. I'd like it better without the attack-based-on-creatures, since it feels like it's two ideas in one, but still, nice. Especially in the next set :smallbiggrin:

Osrik Stonehammer 3RW
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Cleric R
Lifelink, Vigilance
Whenever you gain life, deal that much damage to target creature.
2/6

Challenge: Something that has at least three types, or something that transforms.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-07, 04:10 PM
Crap. Ninja'd. This is in response to Ruby34. I'd spolier this and respond to R2, but I'm on my iPhone and it's too much trouble.

A good effect, but somewhat clunkily written. I don't quite know how I'd rewrite it to achieve the same effect, but I'm pretty sure it could be. But it's still a good way for azorius control to stay alive and get off its combos.

Drakki Wyrmsbane 3R
Legendary creature-Dwarf Warrior; R

First strike
Drakki Wyrmsbane may block Dragon creatures as though they didn't have flying.
Whenever Drakki Wyrmsbane blocks a Dragon creature, it gets +5/+0 until end of turn.

3/3

Next: R2's challenge

Jormengand
2015-03-07, 04:59 PM
Osrik is horrible and turns a two-drop into not just 7 life but 7 damage too. Add in the decent stats and keywords, and you have a winra.

Drakki hates dragons a lot. And is actually decent against non-dragons anyway. Ehh, not entirely convinced.

Three types? Uhm, okay, well:

Erika, Princess of Trostan 3WPR
Planeswalker Creature - Erika Warrior MR
Erika's power and toughness are both equal to the number of loyalty counters she has.
+1: Revivify (Return a card you own from exile to your hand)
-6: Transform Erika
///////////////////////
Illuminatio Trostania
Enchantment - MR
Indestructible, Accelerate spells you control, deny spells you don't control (Spells you control cost 1 less and spells you don't control cost 1 more.)

Okay, I don't like it much, but challenge demands. And yes, you know I had to do both.

Next: Something with at least three subtypes.

Lord Ruby34
2015-03-07, 05:39 PM
Ah, no. Other than being absurdly complex the card also does things that Magic cards don't need to do. There's a reason that very very few cards are able to pull things out of the exile zone. There needs to be a way to keep things dead. Having a keyword that messes with that space is actively awful. There is also nothing red about the front side. This can be done in mono-white. Actually, even the pull from exile, the one time it was used, was a white ability, so it doesn't need to be purple either. Accelerate and deny are also pretty bad keywords, can you imagine the set that has a significant number of these cards for limited play? It would not be a fun format.

On the other hand the creature/planeswalker idea is pretty cool, I just don't like the abilities.

Wizened Nezumi 2BB
Creature- Elder Rat Ninja U
Ninjutsu 1B
When ~ deals combat damage to a player you may return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand
2/2

Design another Rat.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-07, 06:29 PM
I don't really like this use of the "elder" type. I feel like it should be reserved for truly ancient and powerful beings, but as a card, the ability's pretty good. I approve.

Swarming Plague BB
Creature - Rat R
A deck can have any number of cards named Swarming Rats
BBT: put a a number of tokens that are a copy of this creature on the battlefield equal to the number of cards named Swarming Rats you control
1/1

Challenge: Make a robot

Jormengand
2015-03-07, 06:48 PM
Ignoring name discrepancy, you have a duplication engine gone more than a little crazy. Your opponent had better pray for a board clear. I mean, bear in mind that on turn 6, you can be multiplying the number of these you have by 3. That's ignoring crypt ghasts, of course.

Deus In Machina 8
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct R
When Deus In Machina dies, search your library for a god and put it onto the battlefield under your control.
Such power as the gods have can only be held in the most powerful of constructions.
3/6

Next: A Mythic Rare with 12 or fewer words in its text.

r2d2go
2015-03-07, 07:44 PM
Probably okay, though it is potentially very strong, especially with colorless manaramp being potentially insane. Reminds me of Sneeds from Hearthstone :smalltongue:

Doomslayer Demon 3BB
Creature - Demon MR
Flying, Deathtouch, Trample, Protection from Angels and from Dragons.
5/5

Challenge: Another card based on an existing card.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-07, 07:56 PM
A decent counterpart to Baneslayer Angel. Trample isn't super black, though.

Drogskol Punisher 2WU
Creature-Spirit; MR

Flying, lifelink, hexproof
{W/U}: Drogskol Punisher gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever Drogskol Punisher deals damage to a creature or player, draw a card.

2/3

Is this weaker than or just different from Drogskol Reaver (http://magiccards.info/query?q=drogskol+reaver&v=card&s=cname)? Should it be mythic? I'm not sure.

Next: Make a dwarf pirate.

Jormengand
2015-03-07, 08:03 PM
Probably okay, though it is potentially very strong, especially with colorless manaramp being potentially insane. Reminds me of Sneeds from Hearthstone :smalltongue:

This one is so complicated only a god could pilot it!

Drogskol seems cool, but not overly white - actually seems more black. Not certain it needs to be MR.

Harald Hammerprow 3RR
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Pirate R
When another pirate enters the battlefield under your control, you may deal damage equal to that pirate's power to target creature or player.
It's hard to understand where the dwarven accent ends and the pirate accent begins, but it's easy to understand someone bellowing "Fire!" at the top of his voice.
2/4

Next: A 0/12. :smallbiggrin:

r2d2go
2015-03-07, 08:37 PM
If there were a lot of good pirates, this would be very powerful. But there aren't, so it's only fine :smalltongue: still a good card overall.

Briarthorn Battlefist 3GG
Creature - Tree folk R
Whenever ~ attacks, it gets +1/+0 for each attacking Treefolk.
Whenever ~ blocks, it gets +1/+0 for each blocking Treefolk.
0/12

Challenge: Another Treant.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-07, 08:49 PM
Definitely a good wall, and would have lots of synergy with all the treefolk from Lorwyn/Shadowmoor if it were, of course, a treefolk.

Fangorn 6GG
Legendary Creature-Treefolk Warrior Shaman; R

Trample
Other Treefolk creatures you control you control get +3/+0.
Treefolk creatures you control with defender can attack as though they didn't have defender.
3G: Put a 0/3 green Treefolk creature token with defender onto the battlefield.

"Treebeard, some call me."

6/10

Next: Make an enemy-colored equipment.

r2d2go
2015-03-07, 09:06 PM
Definitely a good wall, and would have lots of synergy with all the treefolk from Lorwyn/Shadowmoor if it were, of course, a treefolk.

Fangorn 6GG
Legendary Creature-Treefolk Warrior Shaman; R

Trample
Other Treefolk creatures you control you control get +3/+0.
Treefolk creatures you control with defender can attack as though they didn't have defender.
3G: Put a 0/3 green Treefolk creature token with defender onto the battlefield.

"Treebeard, some call me."

6/10

Next: Make an enemy-colored equipment.

Oops, I've been playing D&D and forgot MtG uses Treefolk :smallredface:

Anyway, Treebeard is pretty strong, with some minor immediate board effect and an easily game-winning token ability. I'd say he deserves MR.

Shockblade 3
Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, you may pay UR. If you do, deal 2 damage to target creature or player.
Equip 1

Challenge: Another enemy colored card - bonus points for making it part of two Tarkir clans that contain those colors.

Fortuna
2015-03-07, 11:20 PM
Seems quite strong; lightning strike without using up cards, and +1/+1 for your creature as a side benefit. Definitely rare quality.

Centred Rage UR
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has prowess.
Ferocious - Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, if you control a creature with power 4 or greater, enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and trample until end of turn.

Make a trap.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-08, 03:33 PM
Double prowess is pretty cool. I like it. Good in limited, definitely, though possibly of limited use in Jeskai proper, because they don't have high-power creatures, unless creatures that are temporarily over four power (i.e. pumped from prowess) activate ferocious. If separate instances of prowess trigger separately, this could be even better. It would probably need a ruling. Still cool.

Ambush Trap 3WBG
Instant-Trap; R

If three or more creatures are attacking, you may pay WBG rather than pay Ambush Trap's mana cost.

Put a creature from your hand onto the battlefield blocking an attacking creature. It gets first strike and deathtouch until end of turn.

Next: Make a counterspell that does something besides just countering one spell.

Jormengand
2015-03-08, 03:42 PM
Suddenly, Emrakul! No, I don't like the idea that you can cheat just anything onto the battlefield even for a 6-drop. I mean, maybe if it put down a token that did the same job, but... ehh.

Magic Made Manifest U
Instant - R
Counter target spell. Put that card onto the battlefield face-down under its owner's control.
Of course, "Mind over matter" was an oversimplification. There was a time and place for matter.

Next: Something that's four colours.

Ninjaman
2015-03-08, 04:15 PM
It's a super powered swan song. Swan song sees play in multiple formats. WAY TOO STRONG.

Magnificent Rainbow - 2WURG
Enchantment - M
Miracle - WURG
Nonblack card in your library have miracle - WURG.

Make something black.

r2d2go
2015-03-08, 04:24 PM
Seems like a potentially insane Johnny card, but in practicality would be too hard to use. I suppose it's alright though.

Veteran Mercenary 1WB
Creature - Human Mercenary R
Other mercenaries you control get +1/+1 and Persist.
My methods might not be nice, but I get my boys home.
2/2

Challenge: Another lord.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-08, 04:35 PM
Cool. Too bad there's only six mercenaries in Modern, and none are all that good. For some reason, persist seems perfect for white-black. I don't know why.

Battle-Sage Vedalken 1{W/U}{W/U}
Creature-Vedalken Soldier; R

Other Vedalken creatures you control get +1/+1 and lifelink.
{W/U}, T: Until end of turn, whenever target Vedalken creature you control deals combat damage to a creature or player, draw a card.

2/2

And, in hindsight, Jormengand is right about Emrakul cheating. I should have limited Ambush Trap to creatures with converted mana cost seven or less, or something like that.

Next: Make a cantrip (instant or sorcery that, in addition to its other effects, draws you a card).

Zaydos
2015-03-08, 04:58 PM
Battle-Sage Vedalken 1{W/U}{W/U}
Creature-Vedalken Soldier; R

Other Vedalken creatures you control get +1/+1 and lifelink.
{W/U}, T: Until end of turn, whenever target Vedalken creature you control deals combat damage to a creature or player, draw a card.

2/2

I'd like it better as 1WU, especially since lifelink feels odd to be available in mono blue as an anthem.

And, in hindsight, Jormengand is right about Emrakul cheating. I should have limited Ambush Trap to creatures with converted mana cost seven or less, or something like that.

I can think of two 4 drops that can cheat him from the hand in modern (one is 4, T, the other is a creature with G, T) and a 4 drop enchantment from Urza's that can cheat him in from your library. That said giving first strike + deathtouch pushed it past any of those.

Next: Make a cantrip (instant or sorcery that, in addition to its other effects, draws you a card).

Tadpole's Growth UG
Instant U
Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature.
Draw a card.

Challenge: Show me a mutant.

r2d2go
2015-03-08, 05:14 PM
It's pretty good, especially as an instant. As-is, it's powerful limited but probably not constructed playable, which is cool.

Unstable Acolyte 1UG
Creature - Mutant Wizard U
Mutate 1, UG (You may cast ~ for UG. If you do, it enters the battlefield with one +1/+1 counter and is Mutated.)
If ~ is Mutated, whenever it takes damage, sacrifice it.
3/2

Challenge: Another guild card.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-08, 06:20 PM
Pretty cool, but Mutate seems a lot like Unleash.

Purifying Blast 2RW
Instant; R

Purify target creature. (Remove all counters from it and destroy all permanents attached to it.)
If Purifying Blast targets a creature you control, you gain three life.
If Purifying Blast targets a creature you don't control, Purifying Blast deals three damage to that creature.

Next: Make a new mechanic for one of the guilds of Ravnica.

Ionbound
2015-03-08, 11:16 PM
Huh. Seems really useful as tech against aura/equip/infect decks. Probably sees use as a sideboard card in UWr decks.

Senate Convention-2UW

Creature-Human Advisor-U

1UU: Overrule 2 (Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2)

2/2

Challenge: Create a Ravnican werewolf.

r2d2go
2015-03-09, 12:37 AM
That doesn't really seem like something that needs a new mechanic - you barely save a line of text, and it's a pretty simple effect. Otherwise, this seems alright, if particularly strong in a draw-go style deck.

Kol, Izzet Returned 5UR
Legendary Creature - Human Werewolf Wizard R
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform ~.
1UR, discard a card: Counter target spell, then ~ deals 2 damage to the spell's controller.
To my horror, I found that with my sanity returned the beast inside.
3/5

Kol, Aether Alpha
Legendary Creature - Werewolf Wizard R
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform ~.
~ can't be blocked.
Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, draw a card.
1UR, discard a card: Counter target spell, then ~ deals 2 damage to the spell's controller.
This time, however, I was prepared.
5/3

(For those who haven't seen my Kol origin cards: Kol was an RUG Izzet werewolf wizard who had projects incorporating nature. One went out of control and he became a Weird and was exiled before being shunted into a variety of planes - a sort of uncontrolled planeswalking. He finally figured out how to restrain himself and sent himself back in time to Ravinica, pre-accident.)

Challenge: Another legendary creature.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-09, 01:50 AM
Damned solid, though its human werewolf and non-human werewolf forms are a little similar with the same spellshaping ability. The non-human werewolf form probably shouldn't have that, because he's plenty strong just as a card-drawing beater. The spellshaping should also require a tap. Otherwise, it's kinda nuts.

Silvos, Warchief 3RUG
Legendary Creature-Elemental Warrior; MR

Trample, hexproof
R: Silvos, Warchief gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Formidable-As long as creatures you control have total power 8 or greater, they have "G: Regenerate this creature."

6/4

Based on my favorite card from the old days, Silvos, Rogue Elemental (http://magiccards.info/vma/en/231.html)

Next: Turn an existing card into a planeswalker.

Fortuna
2015-03-09, 03:51 AM
Ooof. Hexproof with "RRG: Regenerate" assuming you have no other creatures down - since he provides six power by himself, you will nearly always have your formidable, and if you don't you can always pump him twice. The trample also ensures that the damage will get through. Formidable, I should note, is from the new timeline when the clans have been stripped of their enemy colours - fortunately, this card could be straight RG with no issues whatsoever (hexproof being strong in green). Definitely deserves to be mythic.

Melek, Transpuissant Sorcerer 4UR
Planeswalker - Melek MR
+1: Reveal the top three cards of your library. You may put an instant or sorcery from among them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
-3: The next time you cast an instant or sorcery this turn, you may cast another instant or sorcery from your hand with lower converted mana cost without paying its mana cost.
-X: Exile the top X cards of your library and any number of instants or sorceries from your hand. You may cast any of those spells with converted mana cost X or less without paying their mana costs.

Make a cat.

Lord Ruby34
2015-03-09, 04:41 AM
He's interesting, but feels a little week. The problem is that he's a six mana walker that can straight up do nothing if you get unlucky, which leads to feelbad scenarios.

Quickclaw Killer W
Creature- Cat C
First Strike
Ach Hans, Run! It's a house--
1/1

Make a cat that's not a joke entry.

Ninjaman
2015-03-09, 04:59 AM
There already is a dog that does excactly the same.

Soulflame Jaguar - 1R
Creature - Elemental Cat - U
Haste
When a creature you control attacks, return Soulflame Jaguar to the battlefield tapped and attacking.
1/1

Make something else that's good with dredge.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-09, 02:33 PM
I realize that that is good with dredge, but it's pretty seriously off color. Also, even for a 1/1, it's too persistent and abuseable with ETB effects not to be a rare.

Grave-Garden 3BG
Enchantment-MR

Whenever you Dredge, you may pay 2 life. If you do, return a land card from your graveyard to your hand.
Pay 2 life: You may play an additional land this turn. Activate this ability only once per turn.

Next: Make an enemy-color pair or wedge elder dragon. Fie on Wizards for abandoning wedges again so soon.

r2d2go
2015-03-10, 12:05 AM
It's okay ramp, though it has to be used twice to be anywhere near worth it. That said, it can potentially get you places, but if you already have 5 mana... this seems more like an uncommon than a mythic.

Grikahin, of Shifting Mist 4UG
Legendary Creature - Dragon R
Flying
Morph 3UG
Whenever a dragon you control attacks, manifest the top card of your deck. Until end of turn, creatures cost 1 less to turn face up.
3/6

Or, if you mean the ollld elder dragons,

Kilikos Kanter 2RRUUGG
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon R
Flying, Provoke
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice ~ unless you pay RUG.
RUG - ~ loses flying until end of turn. Counter target spell.
7/7

Challenge: Another legendary creature - doesn't have to be a dragon, but that would be cool.

Blue Ghost
2015-03-10, 12:31 AM
I like Grikahin. Great card advantage engine, great morph. It's weird that he manifests cards, but his ability doesn't help them turn face-up unless they're morphs. I'd make it "creatures cost 1 less to turn face-up."
Kilikos Kanter looks really scary. RUG for a cardless counterspell, any time? Once you have him out, I have a hard time envisioning a comeback.

Orson, Knight of Sorrows 4B
Legendary Creature - Human Knight (M)
When Orson, Knight of Sorrows enters the battlefield, return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. It gains hexproof. Exile it when Orson, Knight of Sorrows leaves the battlefield.
3/4

Next: Make a creature that becomes a planeswalker.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-10, 02:41 AM
And suddenly...Emrakul! But enough of that. It's cool, though I'm not sure I'm getting the flavor. Awesome with flicker, obviously. Actually, with flicker, it might be a good way to mess with a dredge or delve deck. It has all kinds of Johnny-ish possibilities, is what I'm saying, which I like, because knights are usually just white weenie beaters.

Diederick Kastner 1WW
Legendary Creature-Human Cleric Soldier; MR

Protection from black
First strike, vigilance
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control five or more black permanents, you may transform Diederick.
3/2

//////////

Archaon, Everchosen of Chaos
(Black color indicator)
+1: Until end of turn, target creature can't block.
-1: Put a -1/-1 counter on each creature you don't control.
-X: Put twice X 2/2 black and red Warrior creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Loyalty: 3

Next: Make something designed for Vintage or Legacy play.

r2d2go
2015-03-10, 12:31 PM
A 3/2 first strike vigilance pro:black is already pretty dang strong at 1WW. The 'walker made is pretty dang strong too, making at least six 2/2s. This definitely deserves MR, and maybe a nerf.

Countersplit 2UU
Instant - R
Split Second
Counter target spell.
~ costs 2UU less if the targeted spell counters a spell and can be cast without paying its mana cost or for a cost of 0.

Challenge: Temur.

braveheart
2015-03-10, 02:14 PM
so it's a 4 mana counter, with some free contexts that I'm not personally familiar with. I honestly can't say weather or not it would work, but I do know that it doesn't work on Pact of Negation

Temur Dragon Snack RG
Creature - Human - U
T Sacrafice ~: gain RRGG, this mana can only be used to cast Dragon Creature spells and until end of turn is not removed from your mana pool as steps and phases end
0/1

Azban for Dragons of Takir

Blue Ghost
2015-03-10, 03:26 PM
Delayed ritual for dragons. It's fine. I think flavor would be better as a goblin, and 1/1. There's no reason for the "mana doesn't empty from your mana pool" clause.

Dromoka's Vanguard 1W
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
When Dromoka's Vanguard enters the battlefield, if it's not the only creature you control, bolster 1.
1/3

Next: Silumgar.

r2d2go
2015-03-10, 03:47 PM
Delayed ritual for dragons. It's fine. I think flavor would be better as a goblin, and 1/1. There's no reason for the "mana doesn't empty from your mana pool" clause.

Dromoka's Vanguard 1W
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
When Dromoka's Vanguard enters the battlefield, if it's not the only creature you control, bolster 1.
1/3

Next: Silumgar.

Probably too much for common. Usually a 2/4 for 2 or similar, which is a lot.

Silumgar's Brood 1BU
Creature - Dragonspawn U
Whenever ~ attacks, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn for each Dragonspawn you control.
2/2

Challenge: Monocolor.

Ninjaman
2015-03-10, 04:17 PM
Cool enough, assuming dragonspawns aren't all over the place because then that would be really OP.

Fanatical Spray - 2R
Instant - U
Fanatical Spray deals 5 damage to target creature. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

Make something that glows (Interpret that any way you want.)

braveheart
2015-03-10, 04:43 PM
3 for a 5 creature damage w/ exile clause it's a good choice in limited, and seems balanced

World burning fire 6RR
sorcery - MR
destroy all non enchantment permanents then place a colorless artifact "The Last Ember" token with T:R onto the battlefield
and when all had been burnt away but one ember was left.

Use Isolation.
Isolation (any spells or abilities that effect "each" or "all" do not effect this permanent)

Jormengand
2015-03-10, 05:03 PM
I assume you mean "Destroy all non-enchantment permanents. Put an artifact token called "The last ember" with T: Add R to your mana pool" onto the battlefield under your control"? Anyway, it's a wrath effect (W/B) and a mana effect (G) and an artifact effect (U), which wants to be in isolation (B/P) or regen (W/G). Uhm. Okay? It also probably costs too much, but I guess it might work in a curses deck. Or gods. Or tons of regen. Free regen. Free regen? I got nothin'.

Tasia Zelb 3PB
Legendary Creature - Human Mage R
Outcast, (Tasia Zelb can't be exiled.) Isolation (Tasia isn't affected by effects which affect "All" or "Each".), Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by Tasia dies, exile it)
Tasia Zelb gets +1/+0 for each other creature with Outcast you control and +0/+1 for each other creature with Isolation you control.
My name is Tasia, and I am the ruler of the downtrodden, the despised and the lost. Fear me, for I am your death.
4/4

Exiled Warrior 2B
Creature - Human warrior C
Isolation
2/3

Next: Another legendary creature.

r2d2go
2015-03-10, 06:06 PM
It's alright, though it'll never be more than a big, slightly removal-resistant beater - no inherent evasion or other abilities.

Obuun-Daya, the Ghost Tree 3(W/G)(W/G)(B/G)(B/G)
Legendary Creature - Treefolk Elf Spirit MR
Defender, Hexproof
GG - Elves you control get +1/+1, Tranple and Hexproof until end of turn.
4/12

Challenge: More things with a lot of stuff going on on the type/subtype line :smalltongue:

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-10, 10:29 PM
Pretty cool, and good for elf tribal. Doesn't feel very black, though. It would be cooler if it also had "B, T: Target elf you control gets deathtouch (or lifelink) until end of turn."

Sunhome Warden-Captain 2RW
Creature-Human Spellshaper Soldier; MR

RW, T, discard a card: Target Soldier creature you control get double strike until end of turn.
1RW, T, discard a card: Untap each other Soldier creature you control. Those creatures get +2/+0 until end of turn.
RW, T, discard two cards: Exile each other Soldier creature you control. At the beginning of the next combat, return those cards to the battlefield under their owner's control and those creatures gain haste until end of turn.

2/2

Okay, I went a little nuts here and made a spellshaper that might well be the best in the game. In any case, the first ability is based on Double Cleave (http://magiccards.info/query?q=double+cleave&v=card&s=cname). The second is based on Rally the Righteous (http://magiccards.info/query?q=rally+the+righteous&v=card&s=cname) and/or War Flare (http://magiccards.info/query?q=war+flare&v=card&s=cname). The third ability is based on the activated ability of Legion's Initiative (http://magiccards.info/dgm/en/81.html).

Next: Make another spellshaper.

r2d2go
2015-03-11, 11:52 AM
It's certainly strong. Might not need all three abilities? I wouldn't call it OP but certainly strong. Fortunately, the tribal limit and the fact that Boros tends to play things first main makes it more reasonable.

Shock-Spin Spellweaver 2UR
Creature - Spellshaper R
UR, T, discard a card - Choose one:

Counter target noncreature spell unless its controller pays 2.
Draw two cards, then discard two cards.
Deal 2 damage to target creature or player.

2/2

Challenge: Something modal.

Jormengand
2015-03-11, 02:18 PM
So you have T to:
- Turn a card into a soft counter with costs UR, which is a bad mana leak.
- Discard 1, draw 2, discard 2, pay UR.
- Turn a card into a bad shock.

I mean, if it didn't need to tap, and cost less, then it might be scary... or maybe if it didn't need cards to function? Right now, it's not great.

Quijuk Charm WP
Instant - U
Choose one:

Exile target creature with converted mana cost 2 or less.
Target creature has Silenced until end of turn. (That permanent loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced)
Revivify. (Return target card from exile to your hand)

Death or taxes UB
Instant U
Choose one:
- Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2.
- Destroy target nonblack creature.

Next: Something costing 0.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-11, 03:54 PM
Cool. I like the new keywords. Wizards really should have come up with Revivify or something similar a long time ago. I still think the first one is the nastiest though. With the cheap cost and phyrexian mana, you can really screw up your enemy's weenie enablers (mana ramp creatures, etc.)

Goldmeadow Chopper 0
Creature-Kithkin Soldier; R
(White color indicator)

Champion a Kithkin
First strike

2/1

Next: Something tribal

Jormengand
2015-03-11, 09:52 PM
Uhm... I think you may be confusing WP with {W/p}. :smalltongue: No paying two life to exile a CotP.

I'm not sure the champion is enough to make up for the fact it's a 2/1 first strike for 0. I mean, even the fact that you can use it to sneak a Kithkin of the board if it's about to die might be nasty. I'm thinking a persisted spellduster?

Elvish Auxiliaries 2WG
Creature - Elf Soldier R
Reach
Humans you control get +1/+1 for each elf you control.
Tell me, do you remember the days when humans and elves fought together? I do. I was one of those elves. Today, I intend to be one again. You have my bow; do I have your sword?
1/3

Alliance defenders 2WG
Creature - Human Soldier R
Vigilance
Elves you control get +1/+1 for each human you control.
Those, men? Those are elves. They're very high-and-mighty. Very pretentious. Very rude. And very in the way of the entire enemy army.
1/3

Next: Something with the words "You", "Win", "The" and "Game" in its rules text that doesn't cause or prevent a player winning or losing the game.

Lord Ruby34
2015-03-11, 10:12 PM
Flavorful, but a little on the weak side. The card would be more playable if it was more than a 1/3. You can have stats better than giant spider on a multicolored rare.

The Game of War R
Enchantment R
2R: Flip a coin. If you win the flip put a victory counter on The Game of War. If you lose the flip put a defeat counter on The Game of War.
Creatures you control get +1/+0 for each victory counter on The Game of War.
Creatures you control get +0/-1 for each defeat counter on The Game of War.
Great generals and great gamblers both know when to risk everything for the chance at victory.

Design a non-creature non-aura enchantment.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-12, 12:07 PM
A little complex, but such is the nature of the challenge. It looks pretty cool, but it's also very incremental either way, except that losing could have disastrous consequences early on when you're still rolling out your weenies. Not sure how much play it would see.

Conclave's Voice GW
Enchantment; MR

Green creatures you control get +1/+0
White creatures you control get +0/+1
GW, Exile Conclave's Voice: Exile all creature cards from target player's graveyard. Target creature you control gets +X/+X and trample until end of turn, where X is the number of cards exiled.

Next: Create another card like Legion's Initiative (http://magiccards.info/query?q=legion%27s+initiative&v=card&s=cname) or one of the various ascendancies (http://magiccards.info/query?q=ascendancy+%28e%3Afrf%2Fen+or+e%3Aktk%2Fen %29&v=card&s=cname), for any one of the various factions in recent blocks (Wedge!Clans, Ally!Clans, Ravnica guilds, Mirrans, Phyrexians, Poleis of Theros, Humans, Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, Alara, etc.)

Zaydos
2015-03-12, 12:42 PM
The trample is potentially quite strong, but primarily against a graveyard deck. Due to Selesnya's penchant for tokens your own won't be too large, so it's more of a counter for Golgari style decks. Reasonably balanced could see use, and encourage your opponent to keep a doomblade in hand for when you go charging towards them.

Simic Ascendancy (G/U)GU
Enchantment R
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

Whenever you would put one or more +1/+1 counters on a creature you control put an additional +1/+1 counter on it.

Challenge: Make some artifact hate, because I'm feeling spiteful all of a sudden.

braveheart
2015-03-12, 12:57 PM
I think that it's a bit too strong with the first ability, especially since it actually drops two on each creature.

Steel Smasher 3RW
Creature - Ogre - R
Vigilance
RT: Destroy target artifact
5/5

make something that is 2 colors but has either 3 or 4 colors in it's color identity

Jormengand
2015-03-12, 12:57 PM
Huh. Even putting two +1/+1 counters on everything looks to be worth that on its own, and I don't even want to think what happens when you stack them.

Ruststorm 1RG
Enchantment - R
Artifacts aren't creatures.
"The first you know is when the gears slow down, and then they grind to a halt. Almost all of your systems, ruined. All you can do is sit there, and hope you have a secondary system that wasn't damaged."
- Extract from Gnomish engineering text.

Huh. Seems like something I'd put at uncommon, but it works.

Voidstorm Cannon 2PB
Creature - Artillery R
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, target opponent loses 2 life.
2UT: Draw a card.
0/6

Okay, so a card that lets you face harder in UPB is odd, but whatever roll with it.

Next: Something else with only three words in its text - none of them keywords.

r2d2go
2015-03-12, 01:35 PM
Huh. Seems like something I'd put at uncommon, but it works.

Voidstorm Cannon 2PB
Creature - Artillery R
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, target opponent loses 2 life.
2UT: Draw a card.
0/6

Okay, so a card that lets you face harder in UPB is odd, but whatever roll with it.

Next: Something else with only three words in its text - none of them keywords.

It's alright, though it's kind of expensive. Could be a good control-ish card - lets you leave mana open, block, then tap to draw and slowly whittle down your opponent.

Blood Visions 1(U/B)(U/P)(B/P)
Sorcery U
Draw two cards.

Challenge: Something else Phyrexian. Yes, those are phyrexian mana symbols, not purple.

Zaydos
2015-03-12, 01:44 PM
Blood Visions 1(U/B)(U/P)(B/P)
Sorcery U
Draw two cards.

Options are 4 mana for 2 cards, 2 mana and 4 life for 2 cards, or 3 mana and 2 life for 2 cards. Feels like it's kind of overpriced compared to Sign in Blood (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=393921) could probably do to be a common and 2(U/P)(B/P). Even then I'm not sure it'd be worth using over Divination.

Challenge: Something else Phyrexian. Yes, those are phyrexian mana symbols, not purple.

Completion's Caress (B/P)(B/P)B
Instant
Destroy target non-artifact creature.
It's controller gains a poison counter.

Challenge: Make a werebear.

r2d2go
2015-03-12, 02:01 PM
Not sure what rarity you intended, but could probably use rare. It's removal that normally costs 2 at 1 with an upside. Would do really well in infect aggro, if it used black.

Bear Warrior 3WRG
Creature - Human Werebear R
When ~ takes damage, transform it.
3/6

Warrior Bear
Creature - Werebear R
Vigilance, Provoke, Trample, Rampage 1
T - ~ fights target creature.
At the end of each turn, if ~ took no damage that turn, transform ~.
6/6

Challenge: Another transform creature.

Ionbound
2015-03-12, 02:02 PM
Damn. That seems really strong in B/G Infect. Basically it's destroy a creature and deal 2 damage to it's controller for 3, which I'm pretty sure in undercosted.

I just...I don't think it's interesting enough to be a rare. I mean sure, a bunch of stacked up keywords and it being really hard to get rid of make up for it's manacost but...It's just a big dude. It doesn't really feel unusual or interesting in any way like most of the rares and mythic rares do.

Roaring Berserker-2GG
Creature-Human Werebear Berserker-U
Intimidate
At the beginning of each upkeep, if two or more non-token creatures entered the battlefield last turn, transform ~
2/3

Raging Werebear
Creature-Werebear Berserker
Trample
2G: ~ fights target creature. If this creature would assign enough damage to the target creature, you may have it assign the rest of its damage to defending player or planeswalker.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no non-token creatures entered the battlefield last turn, transform ~
4/5

Jormengand
2015-03-12, 02:13 PM
Bear Warrior/Warrior bear: Huh, seems cool. Bit heavy on the keywords, maybe.

Roaring Berserker/Raging Werebear: Missing a "To kill it" somewhere, and that's a pretty nasty way of taking out a weenie and knocking three loyalty off a walker while you're at it.

Dr Jekyll 2UU
Creature - Human doctor R
When you cast a spell, put a research counter on Dr Jekyll. When he has 3 or more research counters on, transform him.
2/2
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Mr Hyde (B)
Creature - Human R
Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Mr Hyde.
2/2

No Contest UU
Instant - R
Draw a card.
Target spell that hasn't been countered can't be countered.
"We do not wish to contest the court's ruling."
- Almost two hundred instances of this phrase found in House Azorius court records.

Next: More cantrips.

Zaydos
2015-03-12, 02:22 PM
Dr Jekyll 2UU
Creature - Human doctor R
When you cast a spell, put a research counter on Dr Jekyll. When he has 3 or more research counters on, transform him.
2/2
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Mr Hyde (B)
Creature - Human R
Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Mr Hyde.
2/2

Little on the weak side, could probably be an uncommon. Neat card, though, might use it in Blue/Red or Blue/Black.

No Contest UU
Instant - R
Draw a card.
Target spell that hasn't been countered can't be countered.
"We do not wish to contest the court's ruling."
- Almost two hundred instances of this phrase found in House Azorius court records.

Typically a Green effect but makes sense for Blue. The way the stack and counterspells work "that hasn't been countered" is meaningless. I play X, you play Counterspell, I play this, Counterspell hasn't resolved so X hasn't been countered. If Counterspell has resolved then X no longer exists to target. That said it's reasonable as "target spell can't be countered, draw a card" I mean G is the standard for the effect without the draw and it's questionable. Where as this would be good (against a counterspell deck) but the rarity is enough for that.

Next: More cantrips.

Spell Clone 2UU
Instant - R
Copy target spell.
Draw a card.
(Wanted to make it draw a bonus card if you copied a cantrip for draw 3 on a cantrip and up the cost by 1 but couldn't figure out wording that'd actually fit how Magic works)

Challenge: Make a wereraven... which doesn't Transform.

Jormengand
2015-03-12, 02:30 PM
Ooh, interesting. Me likey. Uhm, try "If that spell's effect includes "Draw a card", draw another card"?

Nakht 1BB
Legendary Creature - Human Priest R
When Nakht enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature.
B: Put a 1/1 raven creature token with Flying and Champion Nakht onto the battlefield under your control.
3/3

Next: Something else that uses a keyword in a new or interesting way.

Ionbound
2015-03-12, 02:34 PM
*shrugs* I mean, I'd run it in an Izzet Burn deck, but then, I'm really bad at deckbuilding. Not entirely sure whether it's worth the mana or not, but it's still a solid card.

Ravenwalker-2GU

Creature-Human Bird Shaman-U

Flying

Whenever this creature deals damage to a player, you may tap target creature your opponent controls. It does not untap during your opponent's next untap phase.

1/2

Challenge: Create a card from a 'Return' block. What plane you choose is up for grabs.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-12, 03:54 PM
Looks like firedaemon got ninja'd, so I'll respond to both.

Ooh, interesting. Me likey. Uhm, try "If that spell's effect includes "Draw a card", draw another card"?

Nakht 1BB
Legendary Creature - Human Priest R
When Nakht enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature.
B: Put a 1/1 raven creature token with Flying and Champion Nakht onto the battlefield under your control.
3/3

Next: Something else that uses a keyword in a new or interesting way.

It's cool, but it seems like a rather difficult and slow way to achieve a flickering, which I think is what you really want. Still, I don't doubt there are all kinds of fun ways you can abuse it, especially using the raven as a sacrifice.

Nanoweird {U/R}
Creature-Weird; U

Haste
Replicate {U/R} (When you cast this spell, put a creature token onto the battlefield that's a copy of it for each time the Replicate cost was paid.)
Sacrifice Nanoweird at end of turn. For each three creatures named Nanoweird you sacrifice at end of turn, you may draw a card.

1/1

@firedaemon (since I don't know how to multi-quote)
Not bad, if a little familiar. Might be too expensive. Good in limited, no doubt.

(This would be 'Return to Tarkir,' with wedges restored)

Zunduin Magebane RUG
Legendary Creature-Human Warrior; MR

First strike, flash
When Zunduin Magebane enters the battlefield, counter target noncreature spell. Zunduin Magebane deals 3 damage to its caster.

3/1

Next: Something with 9+ power

Jormengand
2015-03-12, 04:10 PM
Doesn't each nanoweird trigger the card draw separately? :smalleek:

Magebane is a hard counter (Costs 2) and a 3 face-damage (Costs 1) and a 3/1 first strike flash (Costs 2?), all as one card (Costs 3). No way should that be happening for 3.

Ikarios, the Emergent Saint WWW
Creature - Human Saviour MR
When Ikarios, the Emergent Saint enters the battlefield, each opponent gains 100 life.
9/9

Ulthari, the Sudden Presence UUU
Creature - Merfolk Saviour MR
When Ulthari, the Sudden Presence, enters the battlefield, each opponent draws 7 cards.
Opponents have no maximum hand size.
9/9

Kanazak, the Sweeping Night BBB
Creature - Vampire Saviour MR
When Kanazak, the Sweeping Night enters the battlefield, your life total becomes 1.
9/9

Leoni, the Void Dancer PPP
Creature - Human Saviour MR
When Leoni, the Void Dancer enters the battlefield, exile each other permanent you control.
9/9

Rei, the Burning Fist RRR
Creature - Giant Saviour MR
Haste
When Rei, the Burning Fist enters the battlefield, you lose the game at the end of your turn.
9/9

Kashaptu, the Ravaging Wilds GGG
Creature - Elf Saviour MR
When Kashaptu enters the battlefield, each opponent adds 5 mana of any colour to their mana pool and this mana does not empty from their mana pools until the end of their next turn.
9/9

Next: Something with a major drawback.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-12, 04:18 PM
Oh, man, that cycle would make limited FUN!. It would require extensive playtesting, I think, but those would be some wacky games.

And, truthfully, I don't know if each Nanoweird would trigger it. Obviously, the intent is not for that to happen, but I just don't really know.

Insane Channeler {U/G}
Creature-Elf Shaman; MR

T: Add two mana of any color to your mana pool.
When Insane Channeler leaves the battlefield, exile the top ten cards of your library.

"The power is worth the risk."
-Ral Zarek, last words

0/1

Next: Something Innistrad-flavored.

Jormengand
2015-03-12, 04:31 PM
I now want to play that in purple. :smallbiggrin:

But sure, makes sense. That said, if an opponent can't kill it, that's some mana ramp right there - forget Saviour cycle, because on turn three you can hardcast an 11-drop with some lucky drawing.

Undying defender 2W
Creature - Human Soldier U
Guardian for Humans (When a human you control would be the target of a spell or ability, if Undying Defender is a valid target, you may change the target to Undying Defender.
Some people are crazy enough for a massive sword. I reckon I'm plenty crazy enough for a massive shield.
0/5

Next: Something pacifistic.

Zaydos
2015-03-12, 04:32 PM
And, truthfully, I don't know if each Nanoweird would trigger it. Obviously, the intent is not for that to happen, but I just don't really know.

As written it would.

Insane Channeler {U/G}
Creature-Elf Shaman; MR

T: Add two mana of any color to your mana pool.
When Insane Channeler leaves the battlefield, exile the top ten cards of your library.

"The power is worth the risk."
-Ral Zarek, last words

0/1

Mill 10 does nothing to balance this, maybe if it exiled several cards each round and put you on a clock, as is this is super sol ring and that's bad. Also, it's effect is purely monogreen and therefore should not be on a hybrid card.

Next: Something Innistrad-flavored.

Crossroads Geist 1WU
Creature - Spirit U
Flying, Vigilance
Whenever ~ is blocks a creature remove that creature from combat.
1/2
They say it lives at the crossroads leading those with vile intent astray.

Undying defender 2W
Creature - Human Soldier U
Guardian for Humans (When a human you control would be the target of a spell or ability, if Undying Defender is a valid target, you may change the target to Undying Defender.
Some people are crazy enough for a massive sword. I reckon I'm plenty crazy enough for a massive shield.
0/5

Simple, functional. Might should be a 0/4 or 1WW, so that heavier burn (Mizzium Mortars for example) and Black's -X/-X spells can still kill it.

Next: Something pacifistic.

Arguably crossroads geist counts as it turns foes away instead of damaging them but...

Call Truce 1W
Instant - U
Until end of turn creatures cannot attack.
Draw a card.

Challenge: Make a dragon.

r2d2go
2015-03-12, 07:55 PM
Seems pretty decent, though it might be a better cantrip fog, which could be too much.

Thunderhead Dragon 2RR
Creature - Dragon U
Flying, Haste
Dragons cost 1 less to play.
2/2

Challenge: Something else that reduces mana cost.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-12, 10:04 PM
Pretty good. But I think I'd rather have a Dragonspeaker Shaman or Dragonlord's Servant from Dragons of Tarkir.

Negation Matrix 2U
Enchantment; R

Counter spells you cast cost 1 less to cast for each counter spell in your graveyard.

"Necessity is the mother of innovation."
-Narset, Enlightened Master

I'm not sure whether I need to word this more specifically so that it's clear it only applies to spells that counter other spells, but my gut says no.

Next: Make an Orc (not a Goblin).

r2d2go
2015-03-12, 10:35 PM
Seems like you could make a pretty hilarious counterspell deck based off of that. Take a bunch of cantrips (Complicate, Cryptic Command, Dismiss, Exclude, Spell Contortion, Scatter Arc), and some cheaper stuff like Mana Leak. Maybe Rewind? It'd be pretty funny. I don't think it's too OP though.

Orc Doomguard 2BR
Creature - Orc Warrior R
Trample, Haste
Whenever ~ attacks, it gains +2/+0 for each other Orc attacking.
3/1

Challenge: Another tribal card.

Jormengand
2015-03-13, 11:40 AM
At best, it's a fair amount of face damage and a 1-for-1 trade. At worst, your opponent ping-cantrips it before it can do anything. Not great.

Immanency WUBRG
Enchantment - MR
If an ability would prevent a god from being a creature, it doesn't.
T: Transform Immanency

Transcendency (WUBRG)
Enchantment (MR)
Gods aren't creatures.
T: Transform Transcendency.

God tribal should be a thing.

Next: More stuff for god tribal. :smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2015-03-13, 11:59 AM
Immanency WUBRG
Enchantment - MR
If an ability would prevent a god from being a creature, it doesn't.
T: Transform Immanency

Transcendency (WUBRG)
Enchantment (MR)
Gods aren't creatures.
T: Transform Transcendency.

God tribal should be a thing.

The first one doesn't fit how they make effects in Magic at all, it also immediately makes all gods creatures and if that is your intent it should be "Gods are creatures" and then it becomes a time stamp issue if there's something else that would prevent them from being creatures.

Next: More stuff for god tribal. :smallbiggrin:

Ascent of Divinity WW
Instant - U
Search your library for a God creature card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Challenge: Make something that exiles at least 1 enchantment.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-13, 12:30 PM
A god tutor. Hm. I haven't played much with gods, but I know they're pretty variable in power. It feels cheap, but gods do come with a lot of strings attached. It's probably fine.

Ray of Truth 3RW
Instant; MR

Purify target creature, player or planeswalker. (Remove all counters from it, destroy all permanents attached to it, and all effects lasting until end of turn end immediately.)
If Ray of Truth targets:
-You, you gain five life.
-An opponent, that player can't cast creature spells this turn.
-A planeswalker, put a loyalty counter on that planeswalker.
-A creature you control, that creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
-A creature you don't control, tap that creature.

Next: Make a troll.

r2d2go
2015-03-13, 01:44 PM
While very flexible, the effects are weak enough (probably 2-3 mana worth each) that I don't think it deserves MR. Perhaps at 1-2 less mana, or if it hit many targets? Still, very cool.

Persistent Troll 2RG
Creature - Troll R
Trample
(R/G) - Regenerate ~.
It gets up, it falls down, it gets up, it falls down...
5/1

Challenge: Something that bends the color pie. Bonus points if it seems to completely break it, but then another effect puts it back to normal.

Jormengand
2015-03-13, 02:20 PM
Nice if you can stave off any rampant timming that results. :smalltongue:

Or, say, this:

Cyclops Pyromancer 3RR
Creature - Giant Mage R
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, Cyclops Pyromancer deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
4/4

OEO is decidedly not really a red ability. I guess it could be, it's just not. :smalltongue:

Challenge: A planeswalker with another type.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-13, 03:26 PM
Solid, very solid. The ability seems flavorful too.

Ajani, Albino Champion WWW
Legendary creature-Cat Soldier; MR

Double strike, lifelink
At end of turn, if two or more white creatures you control have died this turn, transform Ajani.

2/3

///////

Ajani, Avenger
Planeswalker-Ajani

+1: Put a 2/2 white Cat Soldier creature token onto the battlefield.
-1: Target creature you control gets double strike and lifelink until end of turn.
-7: Put a 5/5 legendary white Cat Spirit creature token named Jazal with flying, double strike, vigilance and lifelink onto the battlefield.

Next: Make another 'origin planeswalker,' like the new Liliana (http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/liliana-heretical-healer-liliana-defiant-necromancer/) from Magic: Origins.

r2d2go
2015-03-13, 03:54 PM
It's pretty strong, since the first body is strong anyway. The walker is pretty decent too. It might be too strong, but it's probably alright.

Ral Zarek, Izzet Temporomancer 2UR
Legendary Creature - Wizard MR
(U/R), T, Discard a card, Put a loyalty counter on ~: Choose one:

Deal 2 damage to target creature.
Tap or untap up to two target permanent.
Draw two cards, then discard a card.

When ~ has 4 loyalty counters, transform him.
2/2

Ral Zarek, Timewalker
Planeswalker - Ral MR
+1: Draw a card, then discard a card. Deal damage to its CMC to target player.
-2: Put a 3/1 weird token with "(U/R) - Exile this creature. Put a copy of it onto the battlefield at the end of turn." onto the battlefield.
-7: Take an extra turn after this one. Transform ~.

Challenge: Something with transform. Bonus points for changing type and/or going back and forth.

Jormengand
2015-03-13, 04:03 PM
Incidentally, just for fun, here's the best deck you ever saw:

4 Cardstorm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18687832&postcount=343)
4 Desperate Ploy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18033334&postcount=83)
4 Hidden Rootcrafter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18911053&postcount=1010)
4 Insane Channeler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18949260&postcount=1092)
4 Just Go F'ing Kill Them (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18142003&postcount=339)
4 Lava Pump (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18887380&postcount=972)
4 Leyline's Guardian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18822099&postcount=848)
4 Loan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18144010&postcount=347)
4 Perpetual Motion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18617817&postcount=70)
4 Nanoweird (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18949109&postcount=1090)
4 Zunduin Magebane (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18949109&postcount=1090)

4 Desecrated Shrine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18238348&postcount=671)
4 Magic Mart (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18822099&postcount=848)
4 Manacapacitor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18171744&postcount=443)
4 Warpstone Crater (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18621067&postcount=75)

Anyhow, it's Ral Zarek. The +1 isn't quite clear which card it's talking about, and if it's the discard, it could be nasty. The ultimate isn't that amazing, given the normal Ral's ult.

Mindgames 2UU
Sorcery - R
Reveal cards from the top of target opponent's library until you reveal a creature. If you do, put it onto the battlefield under your control. If you don't reveal any creatures, transform Mindgames and put it onto the battlefield under your control.
///////////////////////////////
Shadow of Nothing (U)
Creature R
1/1

Next: Another card with an alternate effect if there are no targets.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-13, 04:13 PM
What happens to the cards after they're revealed? I don't really see the transformation coming into play very often.

Burning Birth 1RR
Tribal Sorcery - Elemental MR
Deal 3 damage to each creature.
If no creatures take damage from this spell, put a 3/3 red elemental creature token onto the battlefield.

Challenge: Make a card that's a pun (Like Grizzly Fate)

r2d2go
2015-03-13, 04:35 PM
The 3 board damage for 3 mana is already strong - adding backup is just gravy. Overall, though, it doesn't feel very mythic. Would be a cool rare though.

Grizzly Salvage 1GB
Instant - U
Reveal the top five cards of your library. You may put a creature or land card from among them into your hand. If you don't, put a 2/2 bear token onto the battlefield. Put the rest into your graveyard.

Yes, it's Grisly Salvage but with a bear.

Grizzlybrand 4GBB
Creature - Demon Bear R
Trample, Lifelink
Pay 7 life: Put seven 2/2 bear tokens onto the battlefield.
7/7

Grizzly Transformation 2GG
Enchantment - Aura U
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Enchanted creature is a 2/2 bear.

Grizzlyback 2G
Creature - Boar Bear Beast U
Bloodthirst 1
Sacrifice Grizzleback: Put a 2/2 bear token onto the battlefield.
2/2

Grizzly Grinner 3GB
Creature - Bear Zombie U
Whenever a creature dies, put a 2/2 bear token onto the battlefield.
3/3

Challenge: More plays on words!

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-13, 11:49 PM
Solid, certainly. Not too much different than the original card, though. Of course, like most such cards, it's going to be very good for graveyard shenanigans, just with a definite chump blocker attached.

Snaggletusk 3RG
Creature-Beast; R

When Snaggletusk enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to each creature and each player.
When Snaggletusk leaves the battlefield, target creature you control gets +3/+3 until end of turn.

"Ach! Hans, run! It's angry!"
"But it's hurting itself with that snaggly tooth!"
"And it's going to hurt us if you don't run!"

5/3

Next: Something that draws a lot of cards.

Jormengand
2015-03-14, 07:41 AM
8/10, 10/10 with snaggliness. :smalltongue:

Let's try this again:

Seven Steps Ahead 5UU
Sorcery - R
Draw 8 cards and each opponent draws a card.
"Use it wisely. For me, the time for wisdom is long past."
- Uriah Kasstar

Next: A land.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-14, 01:35 PM
For seven? That sounds about right. You could even nix the opponents drawing cards and have it still be good.

Dark Eden
Legendary Land R
Dark Eden enters the battlefield tapped
Creatures with Demon counters get +2/+0 and are demons in addition to their other types
At the end of your turn, sacrifice a creature you control or Dark Eden deals 5 damage to you.
{T}: Put a demon counter on target creature you control

Challenge: Another land that's a location from one of your favorite video games.

Zaydos
2015-03-14, 02:04 PM
Dark Eden
Legendary Land R
Dark Eden enters the battlefield tapped
Creatures with Demon counters get +2/+0 and are demons in addition to their other types
At the end of your turn, sacrifice a creature you control or Dark Eden deals 5 damage to you.
{T}: Put a demon counter on target creature you control

So a land that does nothing the turn you play it, loses you a creature or 5 life each turn, and slowly cranks up to a 2nd rate anthem while not providing mana? I'm hard pressed to figure out when you'd ever want to use this. Maybe make it add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool as well as a demon counter? Or a Black and give +2/+1?

Challenge: Another land that's a location from one of your favorite video games.

The End of Time
Image (http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/chrono/images/d/da/End-of-time.png/revision/latest?cb=20100919010220)
Legendary Land R
U, T: Add 2 to your mana pool and put a time counter on ~.
T, Remove 5 time counters from ~: Take an extra turn after this one, you may only activate this ability when it is not your turn.

Challenge:

Jormengand
2015-03-14, 02:50 PM
Huh. Decolouring a blue and giving you only colourless, in exchange for an extra turn every five? That may be a bit much. You're basically getting extra turns at the cost of colour-antifixing.

Moments from the End 2WW
Enchantment - R
You can only lose the game at the end of your turn.
You will never die. The end will not quite come to you, but you will be on the brink of death.

Next: Make something about nothing.

r2d2go
2015-03-14, 03:16 PM
Huh. Decolouring a blue and giving you only colourless, in exchange for an extra turn every five? That may be a bit much. You're basically getting extra turns at the cost of colour-antifixing.

Moments from the End 2WW
Enchantment - R
You can only lose the game at the end of your turn.
You will never die. The end will not quite come to you, but you will be on the brink of death.

Next: Make something about nothing.

Doesn't seem like it does a lot. It stalls one turn in the case of poison or damage death, and negates some win/lose the game effects, but for the most part, I think you're better off spending 4 mana winning over stalling. Could be a cool Timmy card though.

Night-Whisper 6BB
Enchantment - R
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile all other permanents, spells and graveyards.
Eliminate the sound of the wind from the night, and you'll hear silence. Eliminate the silence, and you'll hear this.

Challenge: Another thing from another game. Bonus points for another Fallen London reference.

Jormengand
2015-03-14, 03:27 PM
Well, it's really aggravating for both players? Uhm, unless you're running a Zelb deck, in which case you start laughing. But it's basically a restart effect except that you might have card or life advantage. If you have Ascendant in hand and enough life to make it crazy, you win. If anything you have can't be exiled, you're fine. Otherwise, you start this whole shebang over again.

Leeroy Jenkins 2R
Legendary Creature - Human Paladin R
Haste
When Leeroy Jenkins enters the battlefield, put 2 1/1 red dragon creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield tapped under target opponent's control.
All right, time's up. Let's do this: LEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOY!
6/2

Edwin VanCleef 1RP
Legendary creature - Human Rogue R
Second Wind - When Edwin VanCleef enters the battlefield, put 2 +1/+1 counters on him for each spell you've cast this turn.
2/2

Next: Another legendary creature.

Ionbound
2015-03-14, 03:43 PM
I mean, it's legitimately worse that the HS Leeroy because of how blocking works. Not sure it would see any play at all in any format.

Avacyn, Fallen Angel-4RRBB

Legendary Creature-Demon

Flying, Deathtouch

When ~ enters the battlefield, you and target opponent sacrifice all creatures you control.

8/8

Challenge: Create another card that is an inverted version of a current Legendary Creature or Planeswalker

Jormengand
2015-03-14, 03:58 PM
Why does it bother being a creature? I assume you meant other creatures, in which cast it's pretty nasty. That said, flying and deathtouch, and 8 power and deathtouch, and boardwipe and deathtouch, and boardwipe and flying, these are not really very synergistic.

Azusa, Lost Forever 2PP
Creature - Human Monk R
You can't play lands.
7/7

If you're boring, pretend she's, oh, let's say black instead.

Next: A non-permanent spell to represent a person.

r2d2go
2015-03-14, 06:26 PM
Why does it bother being a creature? I assume you meant other creatures, in which cast it's pretty nasty. That said, flying and deathtouch, and 8 power and deathtouch, and boardwipe and deathtouch, and boardwipe and flying, these are not really very synergistic.

Azusa, Lost Forever 2PP
Creature - Human Monk R
You can't play lands.
7/7

If you're boring, pretend she's, oh, let's say black instead.

Next: A non-permanent spell to represent a person.

Seems pretty strong. If purple aggro is a thing, it's a big beater later on, and combined with some evasion will probably win you the game. Probably balanced?

Wanderer 2WW
Tribal Sorcery - Spirit R
Suspend 3 - W
Creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn. Suspend ~ with 3 time counters.
Each time she visits, she brings prosperity.

Challenge: A tribal card - either tribal (noncreature type), or just a subtype.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-14, 08:44 PM
A very cool effect. I'd love to see a cycle of cards with this mechanic, if that's the right word for it. Very flavorful, too.

Precinct Judge 1UU
Creature-Vedalken Wizard; R

W: Target Vedalken creature you control gets vigilance until end of turn.
Tap five untapped Vedalken creatures you control: Tap each creature you don't control.

"Overruled."
"But, your honor,-"
"Overruled, counselor. Move on."

1/3

Next: Make a non-human and non-monoblue pirate.

r2d2go
2015-03-14, 09:00 PM
Seems potentially very strong. The vigilance means that you can swing, and then before declare blockers, tap down for the finish. Or more likely, swing with evasive guys, and lock down your enemy on their turn. Probably balanced though, and a good card overall.

Airship Pirates 2UR
Creature - Pirate R
Flying
1UR, T - Draw a card, then discard a card. Deal damage equal to the discarded card's CMC to target player.
Whenever a creature damaged by ~ this turn dies, untap ~ and add 1UR to your mana pool.
With a crew of drunken pilots, we're the only airship pirates...
3/3

Challenge: Another creature based on a song.

Jormengand
2015-03-15, 01:55 PM
1URT to turn Emrakul into ggnore? I don't like it; it becomes inherently silly with the right cards in hand.

The A Team 2BB
Creature - Human U
When The A Team enters the battlefield, you may destroy target angel.
3/4

Yes, nigh-useless tribe-hate, but whatever. I couldn't think of a better way to turn a song into a creature.

Next: Something highly useful!

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-15, 03:12 PM
Sure, why not? I'm not really getting the A-Team reference, if that is what it is, but it's still playable in limited.

Firemind's Command UURR
Instant; MR

Choose two:
-Counter target noncreature spell, activated ability, or triggered ability unless its controller pays 3
-Firemind's Command deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
-Draw two cards, then discard a card.
-Put target nonland permanent on top of its owner's library.

Next: Another command (bi-modal) spell.

Jormengand
2015-03-15, 03:34 PM
Mana leak. Lightning bolt. Pseudocantrip. Bounce to library. Huh, I'd almost always use the counter and bounce to library.

Imperious Command 1BB
Sorcery - U
Choose two:
- Tap target creature
- Target creature has intimidate until end of turn.
- Put a 1/1 black samurai creature token with intimidate onto the battlefield under your control.
- Target player skips their next draw step.

Next: Something to do with sevens.

r2d2go
2015-03-15, 04:05 PM
Seems kind of weak. Most of those aren't really worth a card on their own, and even together I'd say its closer to 2 mana of stuff. Flexibility is worth something, of course, but it's still not great.

Grand Archon 4WWW
Creature - Angel R
Flying, Lifelink
Discard 7 cards: Gain 77 life.
7/7

Challenge: Another card with very high numbers.

Jormengand
2015-03-16, 02:15 PM
Well... it's a thing. But it's probably only useful in very weird circumstances. I can barely think why I'd use it, let alone run it.

Arael, the Overdeity WWWUUUPPPBBBRRRGGG
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
Indestructible, outcast, protection from everything.
Arael can't be countered. You can't cast Arael except by paying its mana cost.
When Arael enters the battlefield, you win the game.
∞/∞

Final Army 2WWWW
Sorcery - R
Put 13 1/1 white human creature tokens onto the battlefield onto your control.
Here we are, and here we will die.

Compare to Gather the Townsfolk, I guess. Basically a bigger version, anyway.

Next: Something that would make your favourite deck really happy.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-16, 02:23 PM
Should probably cost 1 or 2 more. as-is it's a Rhys, the Redeemed commander's dream. That + overrun = win.

Heroic Tutor 1W
Sorcery R
Search your library for a legendary card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Challenge: make an Epic (http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Aepic&v=card&s=cname) spell

CantigThimble
2015-03-16, 02:41 PM
Incredibly strong in every format except some limited ones, as low cost tutors will always be.

Enduring Genesis 6GG
Sorcery MR
Epic
Reveal the top 4 cards of your library, put all permanents revealed this way onto the battlefield and all other cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library.

Make a warrior synergy card.

Blue Ghost
2015-03-16, 04:09 PM
I think the epic mechanic was a terrible idea, as a lot of things from Kamigawa were. But as far as epic spells go, this one is pretty decent.

Woe-Reaper Elite 2B
Creature - Orc Warrior (U)
Whenever another Warrior creature you control dies, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
3/2

Next: Make a card with a one-word name.

Ionbound
2015-03-16, 04:16 PM
Not bad. Decent tribal synergy with Warriors in general, but they could use some more love. Solid card.

Despair-2BB

Sorcery-R

Target opponent reveals their hand. You chose a card for them to discard.

Challenge: Create a fallen angel.

r2d2go
2015-03-16, 08:01 PM
Not bad. Decent tribal synergy with Warriors in general, but they could use some more love. Solid card.

Despair-2BB

Sorcery-R

Target opponent reveals their hand. You chose a card for them to discard.

Challenge: Create a fallen angel.

Seems kind of weak compared to Thoughtseize or Duress. The land capability is unlikely to mean much turn 4, since you're unlikely to snipe a land needed for fixing, while the extra 2 life compared to Thoughtseize is almost certainly not worth the mana.

Blackblade Angel 2WWBB
Creature - Angel Demon R
Flying
Whenever ~ attacks, you may pay 1B and discard a card. If you do, destroy target nonblack creature.
4/4

Challenge: Another card that spellshapes as it does something - in the above, it spellshapes Doomblade while attacking.

Ninjaman
2015-03-17, 02:21 AM
So an angel that spellshapes doomblade when it attacks, powerful but not too much. I think it would be smoother without the demon subtype though.

Lightning Crafter - 1R
Creature - Goblin Wizard - R
Whenever Lightning Crafter attacks, you may pay R and discard a card. If you do Lightning Crafter deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
1/1

Make a big creature with a converted mana cost of 1.

Fortuna
2015-03-17, 06:16 AM
Seems very strong - this dropped turn 2 will see many decks scrambling for answers, because it can bolt most early blockers which could kill it and bolt past early blockers which can't. I might make this instead cost 2R and be a 2/1.

Shackled Giant W
Creature - Giant U
Shackled Giant enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
Whenever Shackled Giant becomes untapped, put a -1/-1 counter on it.
7/7

Make a card with two different animal creature types - like a Fish Bird, for example.

Jormengand
2015-03-17, 12:14 PM
I'm sure that there's a way that you can use a 7/7s inherent 7/7ness for something, even if a 6/6 defender for suspend 2 - W wasn't powerful enough in the first instance.

Pegabear WG
Creature - Pegasus bear C
Flying.
2/2

Had to be a thing. I'm sorry. :smalltongue:

Next: A planeswalker with another type.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-17, 01:29 PM
Don't ever change, Pegabear. You're perfect just the way you are.

Venser, Artificer Prodigy 2UU
Legendary Creature-Human Wizard; MR

Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may pay 1 or 2. If you pay 1, Scry 2. If you pay 2, Scry 2 and draw a card.
At end of turn, if you have cast two or more artifact spells or two or more artifacts you control have left the battlefield, you may transform Venser.

2/2

//////

Venser Unleashed
Planeswalker-Venser; MR

+2: Target artifact you control becomes an artifact creature until end of turn with power and toughness equal to its converted mana cost.
-1: Exile target permanent you control, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
-8: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast an artifact spell, Scry 2 and draw a card."

Next: Make a charm or command (bi-modal) spell.

Eldan
2015-03-17, 01:58 PM
Hmm. I'd say the first version is already quite, quite good. But then, it's a mythic rare. Still, with that power, transforming him should be just about automatic. Perhaps make it more than two? As for the planewalker, I'd say the +2 is probably more useful than the emblem? The -2, as well.

Inquisitor's Command 2WU

Sorcery - U

Choose two:
Return target creature to it's owner's hand.
or
Look at target player's hand.
or
Target creature gains vigilance until end of turn.
or
Tap target creature and it does not untap during it's controller's next untap step.

"Stand aside!"

Challenge: these are fun. Another command.

Gandariel
2015-03-17, 03:07 PM
Looks pretty weak... Two of the effects are worth 1ish mana, two are worth basically nothing

Burn RRR
Sorcery R
Choose Two:

- deal 3 damage to target creature or player
- destroy target artifact
- put two 1/1 Red Goblin tokens into play
- deal 1 damage to all creatures

Too strong? It looks pretty strong. It is still RRR... might make it 2RR?

Next challenge: continue this circle (with cards like Grow for green or Die for Black)
(Or, if you don't like this, make a wizard)

Zaydos
2015-03-17, 03:16 PM
Burn RRR
Sorcery R
Choose Two:

- deal 3 damage to target creature or player
- destroy target artifact
- put two 1/1 Red Goblin tokens into play
- deal 1 damage to all creatures

Too strong? It looks pretty strong. It is still RRR... might make it 2RR

2 drop effect. 1 drop effect. 2 drop effect. 1 drop effect. Should probably be 1RRR or 3RR because of versatility + card advantage making it better than 2 1R or R cards stapled together. The two goblins don't really make sense for the name.

Next challenge: continue this circle (with cards like Grow for green or Die for Black)
(Or, if you don't like this, make a wizard)

Grow: 1GGG
Sorcery R
Choose two:

-Search your library for a Forest and put it onto the battlefield.
-Put up to three +1/+1 counters on target creature.
-Creatures you control gain +1/+1 and trample until end of turn.
-Return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.

Challenge: Make a king.

Eldan
2015-03-17, 03:51 PM
Should probably drop the inquisitor down to UW, then, ey?

Anyway. Forest is one or two mana. Counters is pretty good, that might be a three, so is the trample. The return, too, is quite good.

Overall, I'd say appropriate, though the forest is a bit weakin comparison.

Royal Look-alike UU

Creature - Illusion

Sacrifice Royal Look-alike: counter target spell or effect targeting you.

1/2

"I'm totally the King! I swear!"

Challenge: another thing that looks like something it isn't.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-17, 03:58 PM
It's funny, I like it. The effect maybe doesn't feel super blue, but as a seal, it feels pretty good.

Absence of Shark 5
Creature-Illusion; R

Indestructible, vigilance, shroud
Absence of Shark can't be blocked.

The idea of a shark can be more dangerous than an actual shark.
It can even be more dangerous than no shark at all.
Are we cool yet?

5/5

Next: Colorshift an existing planeswalker.

Blue Ghost
2015-03-17, 04:18 PM
*reads flavor text*
An SCP reference, that's pretty coo-
*reads card*
Holy snap that's overpowered. What were you thinking? :smalleek:
Even if it were costed appropriately, indestructible and shroud should never go together on the same card. Especially not if unblockable is also in the mix. Uninteractable cards are not fun.

Sarkhan, Demon's Vessel 3BB
Planeswalker - Sarkhan
+1: Until end of turn, Sarkhan becomes a 5/5 black Demon creature with flying and indestructible.
-2: Target player loses 2 life and sacrifices a creature.
-8: You get an emblem with "Skip your draw step" and "Pay 1 life: Draw a card."

Next: Make a mythic rare for Innistrad.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-17, 04:31 PM
That's good. I like it, although I don't know whether I'd bother much with the middle ability. The ultimate is very black, and also seems Sarkhan-ish, if only because of the huge number of different versions of him that exist. The +1 is definitely good, though it might be a little more flavorful for it to be a demon dragon, but that itself might mean he'd need to be red, and we already have a black-red Sarkhan.

And I know Absence of Shark is way too overpowered to actually be played, but its lack of interactivity and deadliness are kind of the point of the actual SCP.

Thalia, Ascendant Archangel 3WW
Planeswalker-Thalia; MR

+1: Noncreature spells your opponents cast cost 1 more to cast until your next upkeep.
-3: Put six 1/1 white Human Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
-7: You get an emblem with "Human and Angel creatures you control get +2/+2, lifelink, and are indestructible."

Next: A non-planeswalker card that interacts with emblems.

Blue Ghost
2015-03-17, 04:38 PM
And I know Absence of Shark is way too overpowered to actually be played, but its lack of interactivity and deadliness are kind of the point of the actual SCP.

Flavor does not excuse bad design.
I just realized that there was no way for the opponent to prevent my Sarkhan from getting to his ultimate. Fixed.

Thalia's +1 doesn't have much synergy with the rest of the card, but I can see its value in a control deck. Her -3 is probably too strong, even for a mythic rare. I'd maybe put it at -2 and make a single 4/4 angel (because 4/4 is standard for angel tokens). Her ultimate is suitably splashy, and reminiscent of Elspeth; I like it.

Planar Ban 2WW
Sorcery
Exile all planeswalkers. Remove all emblems from the game.

Next: Make a burn spell.

Zaydos
2015-03-17, 04:41 PM
Thalia, Ascendant Archangel 3WW
Planeswalker-Thalia; MR

+1: Noncreature spells your opponents cast cost 1 more to cast until your next upkeep.
-3: Put six 1/1 white Human Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
-7: You get an emblem with "Human and Angel creatures you control get +2/+2, lifelink, and are indestructible."

-3 is a little too strong given that it'd normally be a 6 drop spell on its own (5 mana typically only gets you 5 1/1 tokens). +1 is useful, but better on Thalia and comes in late enough to be overcome. The emblem is again powerful, but so late game as to be mostly ignorable. The -3 should probably give less tokens (4) but the +1 should be a +2.

Next: A non-planeswalker card that interacts with emblems.

Planar Mycon 2G
Creature - Fungus
Saproling creatures you control gain +1/+1 for each emblem you control.

At the beginning of your upkeep put a spore counter on ~.

Remove 3 spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield under your control.

2/2

Planar Ban 2WW
Sorcery
Exile all planeswalkers. Remove all emblems from the game.

I think there's some stated design thing about not making cards which remove emblems, but really a card like this wouldn't create an unhealthy game state and only really make a big impact on the game when planeswalkers are dominant making it pretty a nice card.

Next: Make a burn spell.

Radiant Flare 1R
Instant
Deal damage to target creature or player equal to the number of different colored mana symbols among permanents you control.
Challenge: Make a shaman.

Jormengand
2015-03-17, 04:42 PM
The +1 is about a 2 mana effect, the -3 is easily a 4-5 mana effect (compare Gather the Townsfolk), and the -7 is a win on a 24-carat gold platter. Looks way OP.

Power Equals Power UUUBBB
Enchantment - R
If you control three or more emblems with different effects, you win the game.
"Power, it isn't something that you put on or take off like a jacket. It's something you just ARE. If you can lose it by blowing two Will saves, you never really had any power in the first place, see what I'm saying? I used to think spells equaled power, too, back when I was alive. I've learned a lot since then. You know what does equal power? Power. Power equals power."
- Xykon

Planar ban: Doesn't work because emblems can't be affected by anything short of restarting the game. Even if it did, it's basically the kind of thing that's a big-ass silver bullet, and I don't think that's okay.

Planar mycon: Huh. Unlikely to see play, but sure.

Radiant Flare: Hmm. I guess? Something about this makes me want to run tons of hybrid mana symbols in everything.

Waize Pyromancer 3RR
Creature - Human Shaman R
Flamestorm 2 (Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control would do damage, it deals 2 more damage instead.)
There are two ways of taking a city: besieging it, or burning it to the ground. One is a cruel, pointless waste of life, done only by the terrible villains of this world who like watching their enemies suffer, scream, and die. The other involves fire.
3/3

Not going to try making that purple - a 3/3 with flamestorm and nothing else doesn't need it.

Next: Something that makes you win the game.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-17, 04:52 PM
I don't like that effect, that much. A lot of other things do the same thing but better for about the same cost or cheaper. Curse of Bloodletting, Dictate of Twin Gods, Furnace of Rath, Quest for Pure Flame, Fire Servant. In the end, it's a worse version of Fire servant (http://magiccards.info/m11/en/137.html). Which is an uncommon, adds more damage to your spells, costs the same, and is a 4/3

Combining both challenges.

Lord of the Creeping Dark 3BB
Creature - Vampire Shaman R
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 0/1 Thrull creature token for each Human creature in your graveyard
At the end of your turn, if you control 30 or more Thrulls, you win the game.

Challenge: Make another creature that mentions two creature types that it does not have.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-17, 05:01 PM
Definitely interesting, and a fun win condition. If you have a lot of humans in your graveyard, however, it could win you the game really, really fast. And god forbid you have Doubling Season or Parallel Lives or both. Still, as a card with huge and wacky combo potential, I'd at least like to give it a shot.

Angelic Warmaster 3WW
Creature-Angel; R

Flying
Humans you control get +1/+1 and vigilance.
Soldiers you control get +1/+1 and first strike.

3/3

Next: Something else involving Thrulls.

Jormengand
2015-03-17, 05:01 PM
Self-milling to dump tons of humans in your graveyard and flooding everything with titchy thrulls - especially if you do something horrible with Door of Destinies (may not trigger off the effect, but other thrulls will trigger it) is probably not okay. Also, if you can find a way to convince the thrulls they're humans and stick down a CotP... there's way too many things that could go wrong before we even think about YWtG.

Engine of the Dead 5
Artifact Creature - Construct R
Sacrifice a skeleton or zombie you control: Put a +1/+1 counter on Engine of the Dead.
4/4

Huh. Not sure about things being +2/+2 vigilant first strikers, but ehh.

Cannibal Thrull BB
When a thrull you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Cannibal Thrull.
2/2

Next: Something else which eats things.

- - - Updated - - -

In the end, it's a worse version of Fire servant (http://magiccards.info/m11/en/137.html). Which is an uncommon, adds more damage to your spells, costs the same, and is a 4/3

Not sure I like that comparison. I'm pretty sure there's some nonred burn, and some burn only pings (and 3 is more than 2). I mean, sure, it's not the best card ever, but it's serviceable.

Blue Ghost
2015-03-17, 05:08 PM
A thrull deck could be a thing with this. I like it.

Dragonsbane Goliath 4G
Creature - Spider (U)
Reach, deathtouch
When Dragonsbane Goliath enters the battlefield, destroy target Dragon. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Dragonsbane Goliath
2/5

Next: A zombie.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-17, 05:10 PM
It's interesting. I could see it getting silly with Ebon Praetor (http://magiccards.info/fe/en/11.html) and Breeding pit (http://magiccards.info/fe/en/9.html) But that's just for commander.

Kametog 2UW
Creature - Atog U
Sacrifice a creature or enchantment: Kametog gets +2/+2 until end of turn. If the sacrificed permanent is both a creature and enchantment, Kametog gets +3/+3 instead.
2/1
Should probably be a May rather than a must, but I like it for an uncommon

Tresserhorn Footman UBR
Creature - Zombie U
Haste,
B: Regenerate
At the end of your turn, if you did not regenerate Tresserhorn footman, lose 3 life
6/1
Challenge: ATOG! (http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3Aatog&v=card&s=cname)

Jormengand
2015-03-17, 05:17 PM
Goliath... is a thing. Which hates dragons. I guess it's a decent side in dragon-heavy meta or if you want your own dragons dead.

Kametog apparently likes eating gods. I love it.

Footman: Weird. Does stuff functionally but I don't see why you'd run it specifically, and why blue?

Victoratog 3WUBRG
Creature - Atog R
Sacrifice a creature, an enchantment, an artifact, a planeswalker, and a land, discard an instant and a sorcery: You win the game.
2/4

Next: Something with a hammer.

Beelzebub1111
2015-03-17, 05:21 PM
Footman: Weird. Does stuff functionally but I don't see why you'd run it specifically, and why blue?
Because Tresserhorn! (http://magiccards.info/ai/en/193.html)

r2d2go
2015-03-17, 05:43 PM
Goliath... is a thing. Which hates dragons. I guess it's a decent side in dragon-heavy meta or if you want your own dragons dead.

Kametog apparently likes eating gods. I love it.

Victoratog 3WUBRG
Creature - Atog R
Sacrifice a creature, an enchantment, an artifact, a planeswalker, and a land, discard an instant and a sorcery: You win the game.
2/4

Next: Something with a hammer.

Would have been better if you had to exile the instant or sorcery. Still, probably fine at a base cost of 8 mana in 5 colors.

Beardhammer WR
Enchantment - R
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2
When a creature enchanted creature damaged this turn dies, transform Beardhammer.

Hammerbeard
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Warrior R
First Strike, Haste, Vigilance
3/3

Challenge: More Transform.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-17, 07:24 PM
So is Hammerbeard's spirit bound in the weapon or something? The flavor's kinda odd, but the names are entertaining and it's a reasonably good effect, especially if the creature Beardhammer equips is going to die too. Would be fun in limited.

Koth of the Vulshok RR
Legendary Creature-Human Artificer; MR

T: Put a colorless Equipment named Vulshok Greatsword onto the battlefield. It has "Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and first strike" and equip 2.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control five or more artifacts, you may transform Koth.

3/2

/////

Koth, Fury Born
Planeswalker-Koth

+1: Untap up to two Mountains you control.
-3: Koth, Fury Born, deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of Mountains you control.
-6: Untap all Mountains you control. Until end of turn, they are 4/4 red Elemental creatures with "R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."

Loyalty: 2

Next: Another card that depends on lands for its power.

r2d2go
2015-03-17, 08:59 PM
3/2 is already a pretty good base for 2. The free swords that are undercosted are even moreso. The transform with artifacts (which is super easy with artifact lands) is borderline broken. The 2 or so extra mana worth of Walker is pretty much OP. Making this cost 1RR or even 3R would be a lot more reasonable.

Nissa, Forestwalker 2GG
Legendary Creature - MR
T - Target Forest becomes a 1/1 elf dryad with Shroud and "G - Regenerate this creature". Put a +1/+1 counter on it.
When you control 5 or more forests that are creatures, transform ~.
2/2

Nissa, Forestborn
Planeswalker - Nissa MR
+1 - Up to three Forests you control get +1/+1 and trample until end of turn.
-2 - Add G to your mana pool for each forest you control.
-7 - Forests you control become 9/9 Treefolk with trample until end of turn.

Challenge: Another creature/planeswalker. Can be Gideon style or the above.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-18, 12:50 AM
The initial body's ability is pretty strong, but the transform condition isn't all that easy to achieve (unless you're playing green-blue and using Kiora's Follower or otherwise have ways to untap). The planeswalker's abilities have incredible synergy with the body's tap ability, maybe a little too much. Just to give one example, on the turn Nissa transforms, she can use her tap ability, and then immediately buff three of those five manlands to 3/3 tramplers. In the end, given the likely slowness of the transform, it's probably okay.

Tibalt, the Dapper Devil 1RR
Legendary Creature-Human Demon Wizard

Haste
R, T: Draw two cards, then discard two cards.
At end of turn, if you have fifteen or more cards in your graveyard, you may transform Tibalt.

3/3

///////

Tibalt, the Red Ruin
Planeswalker-Tibalt

-1: Return target creature card in a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. That creature gains haste. Exile it at end of turn.
-1: Target red instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.
-4: Tibalt, the Red Ruin deals damage to target creature or player equal to half the number of cards in a graveyard, rounded down.

Loyalty: 5

Next: A legendary land, artifact, or enchantment

r2d2go
2015-03-18, 01:23 AM
Amusingly enough, this seems more like a Johnny card than a Spike card, despite the cheap, powerful body. It's hard to get out the transform with him alone, but add blue, green or black and you can easily instakill (or almost instakill) with his ult. It's hard enough to pull off with those color weights that I'd say he's fine. The -1s are a little asymmetric through - It'd be better if you gave a creature Unearth instead of just dropping the creature on the board.

On a different note, I love the flavor and color appropriateness. It's great :smallbiggrin:

Kol's Bindings RUG
Legendary Enchantment MR
At the beginning of each upkeep, tap or untap target creature, target creature gains trample until end of turn, and target creature gains +1/+0 until end of turn.
Whenever a creature targeted by ~ this turn dies, put a loyalty counter on ~. If ~ has 3 or more loyalty counters, transform it.

Kol, Relinquished
Planeswalker - Kol MR
+2 - Target creature untaps, gains +1/+0 and gains Trample until end of turn.
-2 - Tap target creature, deal 2 damage to it, and put a -1/-1 counter on it.
-7 - Tap each creature your opponent controls. You gain an emblem that says "Tapped creatures your opponent controls are Silenced and don't untap during their controllers untap step."

Too crowded? :smalltongue:

Silence - Remove all effects from the Silenced card and cards and tokens attached to it.

Challenge: Silence, or something like it.

Ionbound
2015-03-18, 09:42 AM
Seems a bit croweded, yes. And I'm not sure 'Silenced' is actually in the game rules anywhere because of how mana abilities work. It should be 'Cannot use non-mana activated abilities' or something. Also, Kol has no base loyalty.

Mass Dispel-1UW

Sorcery-U

Destroy all enchantments your opponent controls.

Challenge: Create a werewolf planeswalker.

Eldan
2015-03-18, 10:27 AM
Seems a bit cheap, given that enchantment destruction is normally 1 or 2 mana for just one.

Packleader of the Wild Hunt 3RG

Creature - Wolf Warrior

Haste, provoke, trample

Whenever ~ attacks, put a 2/2 green wolf token into play, tapped and attacking.

At the end of your turn, if you control four or more wolves, transform ~.

5/3

//

Herne the Hunter

Planeswalker - Herne

+1: Put a 2/2 green wolf token into play.
-1: Transform ~.
-6: Put an emblem into play with "Wolves you control have +2/+2, provoke and trample"

Challenge: a purely white creature that transforms.

Jormengand
2015-03-18, 02:41 PM
Silence - Remove all effects from the Silenced card and cards and tokens attached to it.

See, we already came up with silence. The reminder text for it was "(This permanent loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced)."

Also, Kol has no base loyalty.

Doesn't need one, because it has counters when it flips.

Packleader is... odd. As the -1 alludes to, the creature is way better than the planeswalker. Even the emblem ult is a bit naff.

Salient Martyr 2WW
Creature - Human Cleric R
If Salient Martyr would die, transform it instead.
2/2
//////////////
Silent Moor
Land R
T: Add 1 to your mana pool and you gain 1 life.

Next: A weather effect. Can use the weather supertype that someone came up with earlier (basically World MK II), doesn't have to.

Zaydos
2015-03-18, 02:51 PM
Salient Martyr 2WW
Creature - Human Cleric R
If Salient Martyr would die, transform it instead.
2/2
//////////////
Silent Moor
Land R
T: Add 1 to your mana pool and you gain 1 life.

Interesting, but White doesn't do Mana Accel. This would work as Green/White or mono-Green mechanically (Green is secondary life gain color). I'd peg this as an uncommon as well power-wise and due to how Transform works in boosters the transformation doesn't really pump it up with complexity.

Next: A weather effect. Can use the weather supertype that someone came up with earlier (basically World MK II), doesn't have to.

Dense Fog 1G
Enchantment
Vanishing 3 (This permanent enters the battlefield with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)
Prevent all combat damage.

Challenge: Make a non-creature enchantment with transform (it cannot transform into a creature either).

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-18, 04:10 PM
Good control for green. The color might be a little off (seems like a blue effect, to me), but it give green some additional room while it's mana ramping.

Moonwell 2WG
Enchantment; R

Whenever you tap a land for white or green mana, add W or G to your mana pool.
At end of turn, if three or more creatures died this turn, transform Moonwell.

//////

Corrupted Moonwell
Enchantment
(Black-green color indicator)

Whenever you tap a land for black or green mana, add B or G to your mana pool.
WW: Transform Corrupted Moonwell.

Next: An artifact or land that transforms!

Eldan
2015-03-18, 04:29 PM
That seems, well, quite good. It effectively doubles your mana. I'm sure I've seen similar effects before, though I don't know how to cost it. Seems to me that the transformation really isn't that important, you'd probably most often play that in a white/green deck, only use green mana if it ever transforms and turn it back as quickly as possible.

Sunny Tundra

Land (U)

Sunny tundra comes into play tapped.

T: add W or R to your mana pool.

At the end of your turn, transform sunny tundra.
//
Wintry Tundra

Land (R)

T: Add white or (snow) to your mana pool.

At the end of your turn, transform sunny tundra.

Challenge: okay, the one we haven't had yet. Transforming artefact.

r2d2go
2015-03-18, 05:50 PM
Sunny Tundra

It's fine, I guess. Kind of weird, but probably alright.

See, we already came up with silence. The reminder text for it was "(This permanent loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced)."

Yeah, I know, but I liked my wording better :smalltongue:

Ancient Blade 3
Artifact - Equipment U
Equipped creature gets +2/+2.
If equipped creature dies, transform ~.
Equip 3

Bladesprite
Enchantment Artifact Creature - Spirit R
Flying, First Strike
2/2

The three types was just for fun :smalltongue:

Challenge: Something else with multiple types.

Fortuna
2015-03-19, 05:16 AM
A costly equipment that turns into a 2/2 first strike flier. The transformed side is worth four or five mana - probably five, since it's all colourless. You have to pay six mana, and have an equipped creature die, to get there - seems easy, but bounces and exile (and tuck) will all interfere, and creature destruction in response to the equip trigger will make this very expensive. I would probably tone down the front side overall - one mana and 2 equip for +1/+1, maybe - or buff the transformed side to a 3/2 or 3/3. Given that this is an uncommon, probably the former. But a good thought, overall - just needs some numbers tweaked.

Spiritshell Golem 4
Artifact Creature - Construct R
Defender
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, you may exile it under Spiritshell Golem. If you do, put all cards exiled under Spiritshell Golem into their owners' graveyards.
While Spiritshell Golem has a card exiled under it, it has the same name as that card and can attack as though it didn't have defender.
4/4

Make another top-down design; start with a flavour concept you'd like to represent in Magic, then craft rules to fit it.

Ninjaman
2015-03-19, 06:53 AM
I'm not quite seeing the flavor or the purpose in this. It clones things but not really. Also the wording is off, look at mimic vat.

Xykon - 2BBB
Legendary Creature - Zombie Wizard - M
When Xykon enters the battlefield put a colorless legendary artifact token with "T: return a creature named Xykon from your graveyard to the battlefield." named "Xykon's Phylactary" onto the battlefield.

At the beginning of your upkeep you may exile target creature card from a graveyard. If you do, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.
4/4

Make someting else from OotS

CantigThimble
2015-03-19, 10:23 AM
This is pretty flavorful and quite powerful, I might add a cost to the phylactery activation but otherwise reasonable.

Mechane 6
Legendary Artifact R
T: Look at the top 4 cards of your library, you may reveal a creature card from among them, if you do put it onto the battlefield and shuffle your library. Put the creature on the bottom of your library at the beginning of the next end step.
Fateful Hour - As long as you have 5 or less life Mechane costs 0 to cast and has flash.

More oots!

Jormengand
2015-03-19, 11:49 AM
Interesting use of fateful hour; I like it.

Let's try this one without being ninja'd:

Power Equals Power UUUBBB
Enchantment - R
If you control three or more emblems with different effects, you win the game.
"Power, it isn't something that you put on or take off like a jacket. It's something you just ARE. If you can lose it by blowing two Will saves, you never really had any power in the first place, see what I'm saying? I used to think spells equaled power, too, back when I was alive. I've learned a lot since then. You know what does equal power? Power. Power equals power."
- Xykon

Next: A D&D spell.

braveheart
2015-03-19, 01:15 PM
That seems like an appropriately difficult condition for it's cost, also it's nicely flavored

Black Tentacles 2(B/U)BU
Instant - R
Tap all creatures, creatures you do not control do not untap during their controller's next untap step
Target creature receives -2/-2

make something with unblockable

r2d2go
2015-03-19, 07:44 PM
So, Sleep, but rare, more expensive and harder to get the colors, in exchange for -2/-2? Would be decent if all the creatures got debuffed (maybe -1/-2) but as-is, doesn't do enough.

Black Assassin 1BB
Creature - Assassin Horror R
~ can't be blocked.
First Strike
B - ~ becomes blocked by target creature.
3/1

Challenge: Something else that forces blocks.

Blue Ghost
2015-03-19, 11:25 PM
You will have to re-word this, because I'm pretty sure this doesn't work by the rules. Maybe "When ~ attacks, you may pay B. If you do, target creature must block ~ this turn if able. Otherwise, ~ can't be blocked this turn"? That's quite interesting, and I think it's plenty powerful without the first strike. First strike prob'ly pushes this over the top.

Massive Decoy 4
Artifact Creature - Construct (U)
2: Target creature blocks Massive Decoy this turn if able.
0/10

Next: Another creature with 0 power.

r2d2go
2015-03-19, 11:41 PM
You will have to re-word this, because I'm pretty sure this doesn't work by the rules. Maybe "When ~ attacks, you may pay B. If you do, target creature must block ~ this turn if able. Otherwise, ~ can't be blocked this turn"? That's quite interesting, and I think it's plenty powerful without the first strike. First strike prob'ly pushes this over the top.

Massive Decoy 4
0/10

Pretty cool. Costs a bit much, sure, but the huge distractor and blocker in colorless is flexible enough that I think it'd find a place somewhere.

Also...

700.5. If an attacking creature is unblockable, no creature can legally block it. (See rule 509, “Declare Blockers Step.”) Spells or abilities may still cause it to become blocked.

Doran's Disciple (B/G)(W/G)
Creature - Treefolk U
~ and creatures blocked by or blocking ~ assign combat damage equal to their toughness rather than their power.
0/2

Challenge: Something with 0 toughness.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-19, 11:49 PM

Massive Decoy 4
0/10

That's pretty big, but with a neat twist on huge-toughness creatures. The block cost might be a little high, but since it conditionally reads as 'target creature you control can't be blocked until end of turn,' it's definitely functional. No doubt good with aggro or control in limited.

Flame-Kin Lasher RR
Creature-Elemental; R

Double strike
R: Flame-Kin Lasher gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

0/2

I always like the idea behind Char-Rumbler (http://magiccards.info/query?q=char+rumbler&v=card&s=cname), but it was just too weakly executed.

Ooh, Doran is one my favorite cards. That's a really fun conditional effect, but considering it only works if it's attacking or blocking, it could probably stand to be a 0/3.

Ashling, Incarnate of Flame 1RRR
Legendary creature-Elemental Warrior; R

Trample, haste
Creatures don't die for having zero or lower toughness. Instead, damage assigned to creatures reduces their power. If the power of a creature falls to or below 0, it dies.
RRR: Elementals you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.

4/0

Not sure if this works the way I want it to, but I couldn't help trying to create a counter to the Doran effect.

And I've had similar disagreements about whether or not you can force creatures to block after the declare blockers step, mostly revolving around my Kenshin Battle-Mind card, that tries to use Ninjutsu and Bushido. I've reviewed the rules pretty closely, and I'm pretty sure that, as long as it's before the last combat damage step, spells and abilities can always force an attacking creature to become blocked or for a non-blocking to become a blocking creature.

Next: An enchantment land.

Ninjaman
2015-03-20, 01:20 AM
Aside from the fact that I'm pretty sure the card doesn't work, it's probably too good. It's a 4/4 haste for 4, sure doran is 5/5 for three but he is three colors, this would be fair in mardu colors.

Enchanted Lake
Enchntment Land - R
Enchanted lake enters tha battlefield tapped unless you control another enchantment.
T: Add G or U to your mana pool.

Definately shouldn't be in standard along with constelation.

Make something flashy (both big and with flash)

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-20, 02:02 AM
The synergy with constellation, while strong, doesn't seem overpowering. Actually, enchantment lands could probably make constellation a viable deck in vintage and legacy. Overall, it's a good dual land. But you probably also need to specify in the rules text that it's not a spell, like the artifact lands, which could create screwy effects with Storm and Fastbond and the like. In hindsight, I'm actually surprised Wizards didn't try this in Theros.

Draco Velocitas 3UURR
Creature-Dragon; MR

Flying, flash, haste
You may cast Dragon spells as though they had flash.
Whenever you would cast an instant or sorcery, you may discard any number of Dragon cards from your hand. Each Dragon card you discard pays for 2.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, Dragon creatures you control get +2/+0 and haste until end of turn.

5/3

Next: Make a Fortification (http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A%22fortification%22&v=card&s=cname)

r2d2go
2015-03-20, 02:03 AM
Edit: Ninja'd, one sec.

A fine rare dual land. Not much else to say, other than maybe white instead of blue, since it gets more enchantments? Eh.

Lightblast Commander 2WWRR
Creature - Angel Soldier R
Flash, Flying, Haste
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may tap it. If you do, deal 4 damage to target creature.
4/4

Seems like an interesting finisher. I think it has parts that could be simplified, though. For example, "discard a dragon: Dragons get +2/+0 until end of turn, then add 2 to your mana pool. Spend this mana only on instants and sorceries" could replace the last two abilities.

Goblin High Cannon 3
Fortification - U
~ can only fortify mountains.
Sacrifice fortified mountain and a goblin: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
Fortify R
"Steady... Aim..." - Goblin Cannoneer, last words

Challenge: An Angel.

Ninjaman
2015-03-20, 02:16 AM
I find this card difficult to judge, but it's probably fine.

Angel of the Five Suns - 1WUBRG
Creature - Angel - M
Flying, indestructible
Whenever Angel of the Five Suns attacks, shuffle your library, then reveal the top card of your library. If it's a permanent card, put it onto the battlefield.
4/4

Make a demon.

r2d2go
2015-03-20, 02:32 AM
Easily compared to Maelstrom Archangel, which gets +1/+1, no indestructible, needs to damage a player to trigger, and plays from hand instead of sometimes playing from deck. Overall significantly stronger due to indestructible, but not too much, so I'll say fine but powerful.

Demon of Binding 6BBBB
Creature - Demon R
Flying, Infect
Delve
Whenever ~ attacks, you may return any number of cards exiled with ~ to their owner's graveyard. For each card returned, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
Whenever a creature with -1/-1 counters dies, exile it.
4/4

Challenge: Exile interaction.

Jormengand
2015-03-20, 11:39 AM
Well, it's a 10-drop win-con. That's about it.

Purgation Squadron 3PP
Creature - Purgator U
Judgement (Whenever a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by Purgation Squadron dies, exile it.)
Purgation Squadron's power and toughness are each equal to the number of cards in exile.
*/*

A non-creature with One Eye Open - when you draw a card, do X.

Otherworld Healer W
Creature - Human cleric U
When a creature is exiled, you gain 2 life.
1/1

A creature with Fateful Hour - if you have 5 or less life, do X.

Eldan
2015-03-20, 12:17 PM
Doesn't seem all that exciting, but it seems appropriately priced. THere's not that many X/X creatures I can think of that make themselves stronger, but this one probably won't start all that strong.

Rush of Discovery 1UU

Enchantment - R

Whenever you draw a card, untap target land.

"I need to try this! Right now!"

Challenge: the opposite: something that punishes the opponent for drawing cards, or even better, for drawing too many cards too quickly.

r2d2go
2015-03-20, 12:25 PM
Seems like it'd make cantrip chaining decks a lot easier. Overall not too powerful, but definitely a potent Johnny card.

Barbed Library 4
Artifact - R
Whenever a player draws a card, they take X damage, where X is the number of cards they have drawn this turn.

Challenge: More X cards.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-20, 12:45 PM
Sweet, but it feels more like a red enchantment than an artifact. It would be a great way to put the hurt on card draw and draw-go decks, but I think it's a little too usable by Golgari (since they'd usually dredge rather than draw) and other graveyard shenanigan decks, which is why I think making it red might be a good idea.

Epic Foresight XUUU
Instant; MR

Scry X plus 3, then draw X cards.

Next: A double X spell.

Jormengand
2015-03-20, 03:25 PM
Well... it's not bad, I guess. Slightly scary, but probably not too scary.

Uprising of Flames XXRR
Sorcery - R
Affinity for everything.
Uprising of Flames deals X damage to target player.
"You cannot win here, Vendket. Every man, woman and child on this island is your sworn enemy."
- Shofet Daru

Next: Something else with affinity.

r2d2go
2015-03-20, 07:30 PM
You might want to make this "for Permanents", because Affinity only requires control, not permanence. So, this technically counts spells and abilities (so if you Quicken it, other things on the stack count) as well as Emblems. Other than that, it seems pretty strong - you can easily get 10-15 permanents on the board turn 5 (since lands count), making this a finisher for 8 or so.

Stutterblast 4UR
Instant - R
Affinity for Spells
Draw two cards. Deal 3 damage to target creature or player. Add 1UR to your mana pool. Spend this mana only on instants and sorceries.

Challenge: More card draw.

Jormengand
2015-03-20, 07:47 PM
Aaaand time for UR/UPR cantrips like a baws. That's a lot of stuff you've got going on there, but it's cool.

Trianna's Verdict 2UPB
Legendary Enchantment - R
If you would draw a card, if it's not the first card you drew this turn, draw two cards instead.
"We are not preparing for war. We are simply doing everything we were doing before, but more of it."
- Speaker Trianna.

Next: Something with Storm or Second Wind.

Form of the Topdecker 2UU
Enchantment R (Un)
When you would draw a card, if you have no cards in hand, draw three cards instead.

Next: More un-cards.

Eldan
2015-03-20, 08:47 PM
Hm. I'm not sure if that's really good or too good, but I like it. At least it won't come in too early and it's three-coloured.

Aether Leech 1UB

Instant

Put a 1/1 black and blue spirit creature token with flying into play under your control.

Storm.

"They feed off magic, Sir. Essentially harmless, as long as we don't attract too many."

Stormy Storm of Storms 6UUU

Sorcery (R)
Reveal the top three cards of your library. You may cast any instants or sorceries revealed this way without paying their mana costs, and they have storm. Then put the rest of the cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library in any order, then put Storm of Storms on top of your library.

Storm

"Storm. Storm. Storm storm storm. Doesn't even sound like a word anymore."

r2d2go
2015-03-21, 02:41 AM
Storm seems U or R, while swarms of 1/1 flying spirits is definitely W. So, even though it's probably fine, it's a bit off color.

Silent Challenger 3WW
Creature - Warrior R
Defender
At the end of each turn, you may have target creature that did not attack that turn fight ~.
3/7

Challenge: A card that encourages cantrips.

Jormengand
2015-03-21, 12:28 PM
Umm... ow? That's basically a lightning bolt each turn so long as it can tank the damage, and anything that does attack, it can probably just block. It's nasty, especially if you wipe the board before dropping it the next turn.

I don't want to think about what this does in planechase, or another format with lots of players. Each turn you can lightning bolt. It's pretty nasty.

Knowledge Devotee 2UPB
Creature - Human Wizard U
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Knowledge Devotee.
"The Veldan have many uses for knowledge. Too many.
3/3

Next: An Idol (See first post).

Cantrip Master 3UU
Creature - Human Wizard R
Spells which draw cards cost 2 less.
I can do this all day. Are you ready?

Next: Someone who makes things cost less.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-21, 05:41 PM
This guy needs pow/tuf, but I assume he's either a 2/2 or 3/3. Seems like a decent effect, if a bit redundant for use in constructed. Could be a good limited finisher, though.

Firelance Shrine 3
Artifact-Knight Idol; R

RW, T: Energize all idols you control.
Whenever Firelance Shrine becomes energized, creatures you control get first strike and haste until end of turn.

Next: Create a card with three or more keywords.

Jormengand
2015-03-21, 06:22 PM
That's... really weird. You don't benefit from multiple energises in a turn, and it has a creature subtype for no reason. Otherwise, I guess it's... meh? You could have an anthem with a similar effect for 3WR (The same total cost to do it once) and it wouldn't be particularly good.

Anayugara the Impassable 3BB
Legendary creature - Wall Wizard R
Deathtouch, Defender, Indestructible, Reach
When Anayugara asked to become such that none would ever pass her again, she was transformed into a living wall. Anayugara was okay with that.
1/6

Next: More walls. :smallbiggrin:

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-21, 07:19 PM
I like the flavor, and I thank god it can't block more of than one creature per turn. Colors seem a little odd. I can't recall any other black walls off the top of my head. Otherwise it seems fine.

And I have to say, your critique sounds a little strange. I read your first post, and in it you encouraged rule breaking, and yet you seem to have decided that idols have to benefit from multiple energizations. And the point of this idol would be to potentially mana fix your other idols, act as one more way to energize your other idols, and as an added bonus for an idol deck with, say, an aggro component. And the knight type synergizes with Knight Exemplar, one of my favorite cards, which would make it indestructible and would pump it if you animated it. All that said, though, I know very little about the theory or execution of idols, and it was mostly a shot in the dark with an effect I thought was useful without being overpowered due to the many energizations that are possible with just a handful of idols.

Master Wall-Wright 1WW

T: Put two 0/3 Wall artifact creature tokens with defender onto the battlefield.
Walls you control get +1/+0 for each untapped Soldier you control.

1/2

Next: Create a four or five color planeswalker.

Jormengand
2015-03-21, 07:56 PM
And I have to say, your critique sounds a little strange. I read your first post, and in it you encouraged rule breaking, and yet you seem to have decided that idols have to benefit from multiple energizations.

Well, no, but just that it's not a very useful idol if it doesn't.

Master Wall-Wright 1WW

T: Put two 0/3 Wall artifact creature tokens with defender onto the battlefield.
Walls you control get +1/+0 for each untapped Soldier you control.

1/2

Next: Create a four or five color planeswalker.

Seems... pretty powerful. I mean, you're basically dropping two blockers, that might take something out with them, every turn. It should probably cost one more and possibly be rare.

Commander Kayros 3WUPB
Planeswalker - Kayros MR
+2: You may choose up to one creature, up to one enchantment, up to one enchantment and up to one land. They have silenced until end of turn (They lose all abilities except silenced and their equipment, fortifications and auras have no effect except granting silenced).
-4: Exile target creature. If you controlled that creature, you gain 5 life and draw a card. Otherwise, that creature's controller loses 5 life.
-8: You gain an emblem with "Permanents you don't control have silenced."

Next: A planeswalker with another type that does something useful, or that can gain another type that does something useful.

r2d2go
2015-03-22, 02:25 PM
The +2 is the best part on the guy, since it can easily disrupt creatures and combos. The -4 is powerful (particularly targeting enemies) but can't be used immediately, and the -8 is... a sideboard effect. Wait, what? The -8 would be a lot better as "your opponents creatures are silenced" or something. It could also work if the +2 was a board silence. As-is though, it's very underwhelming for a 7 drop quadcolor 'walker.

Gandu Above 3UG
Planeswalker - Gandu MR
0 - Proliferate.
-1 - Double the number of counters on target permanent.
-9 - Transform ~ and put 9 +1/+1 counters on him.

Gandu Descended
Legendary Creature - Gandu MR
Graft 1
Creatures with +1/+1 counters have Trample and Hexproof.
UG - Transform ~. Put 6 Loyalty Counters on him.
0/0

Challenge: Counter/token interaction.

Jormengand
2015-03-22, 02:50 PM
You realise lands are permanents? The -8 is basically "You win the game unless your opponent's vanilla creatures can kill you" - that whelming enough for you?

So, if you go 0, -1, -1, -9 then three turns after you play him you have a 9/9 trample hexproof with extra stuff for 5? Well then. It's powerful, but probably just about acceptable levels of power.

Riposte 2UR
Enchantment - R
When you counter a spell, deal 1 damage to target creature or player.

Next: Okay, okay, other type of counter. Something that does something with counters.

Fortuna
2015-03-22, 03:02 PM
Bleh. Four-drop enchantment means it's coming down in some of the most critical turns of the game, when you want to be holding your counterspells open, or it's not coming down until turn six or seven because you want to hold your counterspells open. How many spells get countered past turn six or seven? Not many - this is unlikely to hit for more than three or four damage in a game from my experience, and four mana for three or four uncertain damage an indefinite amount of time in the future with no immediate impact on board state (and vulnerable to enchantment removal) is a bad card in my book.

Planeswalkers have counters, right? :smalltongue:

Wren, the World Incarnate GG
Planeswalker - Wren MR
+2: You may spend green mana as though it was mana of any colour this turn.
-1: Wren loses all abilities and becomes a Forest with "At the beginning of your upkeep put a loyalty counter on this permanent" until she has six loyalty counters on her.
-7: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each player's upkeep, you may search that player's library for a land and put it into play under your control. If you do, that player shuffles their library."

Make a goat.

r2d2go
2015-03-22, 05:24 PM
You realise lands are permanents? The -8 is basically "You win the game unless your opponent's vanilla creatures can kill you" - that whelming enough for you?

Ah, sorry. Misread him as "permanents you control don't" rather than "permanents you don't control". Somehow. Brain, why.

Wren, the World Incarnate GG
Planeswalker - Wren MR
+2: You may spend green mana as though it was mana of any colour this turn.
-1: Wren loses all abilities and becomes a Forest with "At the beginning of your upkeep put a loyalty counter on this permanent" until she has six loyalty counters on her.
-7: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each player's upkeep, you may search that player's library for a land and put it into play under your control. If you do, that player shuffles their library."

Make a goat.

Huh. Green-based multicolor rejoice, I guess? I mean, it's at least a Forest for GG, which is... stronger than existing land ramp, but not too much stronger. So, yeah, that's alright.

Goat Mountain
Tribal Land - Mountain Goat R
~ comes into play tapped unless you control a goat.
T, Discard a card: Put a 1/1 goat with Mountainwalk named Mountain Goat onto the battlefield.

Challenge: A tribal land.

Jormengand
2015-03-22, 06:55 PM
Huh. It turns your hand into 1/1 mountainwalks for R... which is a bit bad, honestly. It's not really worth the possibility that it will ETBT because you don't have a goat.

Last Hold
Legendary Tribal Land - Human R
Last Hold enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add 1 to your mana pool. If you use this mana to cast a human, when that human enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
"When the demons were done, and we thought we'd won, those... things, they came for us. And then we hid in the only place we had left: the place we used to call home."

Whee, Innistrad again.

Next: Choose a plane. Make a card to do with that plane in some major way.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-22, 07:13 PM
Good for human tribal, certainly. Too bad it's legendary, or your could really go nuts with it. Find a way to untap it, and you could have that fun.

Drakenhof
Legendary Tribal Land-Vampire; MR

Drakenhof enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Vampire.
T: Add B to your mana pool.
2BB, T: Unearth target Vampire in your graveyard. (Return that card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield. Unearth only as a sorcery.)

I hope this meets the challenge, but I'm not really sure. Drakenhof is the name of the castle inhabited by the von Carstein vampire bloodline in Warhammer Fantasy, and this is how I would imagine it on Innistrad (and, in truth, Innistrad's vampires are heavily based on Warhammer Fantasy vampires in general, and the von Carsteins in particular). I would have named it Markov Manor or after one of the other Vampire strongholds on Innistrad, but none of them are nearly as cool as Drakenhof. And, to be honest, I originally made this in response to R2's last challenge, and I thought it still fit.

Next: More Innistrad! In whatever way you like.

r2d2go
2015-03-22, 10:52 PM
As far as reanimation effects go, it's not too scary. It's a very solid tribal land though.

Meek Servant 1W
Creature - Human Werewolf U
Whenever a human werewolf your opponent controls transforms, if they control three or more nonhuman werewolves, transform ~.
1/1

Challenger Alpha
Creature - Werewolf U
T - Destroy target attacking werewolf with the highest power. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
2/4

Challenge: More anti-tribal.

Jormengand
2015-03-23, 12:01 PM
That's... really weird. It's a werewolf that hates werewolves, I guess?

Tribe-infecting virus 2BB
Creature - Germ R
Discard a card from your hand, T: Choose a creature type. Destroy each creature of that type.
2/2

Next: Something else tiny.

mystic1110
2015-03-23, 01:13 PM
Seems absurdly powerful. . . . How is that card not going to warp a format around it. In standard and modern its "deal with me now or lose." for only 4 mana.

Seed Spore G
Creature - Fugus R
When ~ enters the battlefield target opponent may choose to gain control of seed spore. (this is indefinite)
At the beginning of your upkeep add GG to your mana pool and lose 4 life.
0/1

Make a one mana legend

r2d2go
2015-03-23, 01:17 PM
This is probably too strong. Even if it just said "destroy target creature", it'd be strong, since it spellshapes unconditional removal for 0. Add in anti tribal and it's crazy. I get the yugioh reference, but this could sac on tap and still be good.

Confound the Bigfolk 1W
Tribal Instant - Kithkin U
As an additional cost to cast ~, give target Kithkin you control -1/-0 until end of turn.
Target attacking creature with 4 or more power is removed from combat, then blocks target attacking creature.

It's pretty much useless, since mana empties at end of upkeep. If you fixed that, it'd be insane in stompy, where either you get ramp worth 4 mana for 1 mana or you get a 4/1 Unblockable for 1.

Gwoke Underfoot (W/R)
Legendary Creature - Rouge Samurai R
Level up (W/R)
Level 2-5: Bushido 2
Level 6+: Whenever a creature with 4 or more power attacks, you may have it be blocked by another creature with 4 or more power.
1/1

Challenge: Something big.

Fortuna
2015-03-23, 09:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the level 6+ ability doesn't work. This also spends a long time being a 1/1 with bushido 2, which is probably printable for 1W or {W/R}{W/R} by itself - that you have to pay five mana to get it to that stage suggests that this is badly in need of a buff.

Slumbering Mountain
Land - Mountain R
Slumbering Mountain enters the battlefield tapped.
7RR: Put an awakening counter on Slumbering Mountain. As long as Slumbering Mountain has an awakening counter on it, it's an 8/8 Elemental creature with trample and "Whenever Slumbering Mountain attacks, each player sacrifices a permanent."

Make a symmetrical effect (something that has, in principle, the same effect on all players).

r2d2go
2015-03-24, 01:40 AM
I'm pretty sure the level 6+ ability doesn't work. This also spends a long time being a 1/1 with bushido 2, which is probably printable for 1W or {W/R}{W/R} by itself - that you have to pay five mana to get it to that stage suggests that this is badly in need of a buff.

It can be played for 1 mana, then with two levels (2 mana), it's a 1/1 Bushido 2. That's 3 mana, not five - The level up is (W/R) not WR. Also, the ability isn't supposed to work to make enemies block enemies. It's supposed to force enemies to block your creatures. That's why it's worded differently than the spoilered spell.

Slumbering Mountain
Land - Mountain R
Slumbering Mountain enters the battlefield tapped.
7RR: Put an awakening counter on Slumbering Mountain. As long as Slumbering Mountain has an awakening counter on it, it's an 8/8 Elemental creature with trample and "Whenever Slumbering Mountain attacks, each player sacrifices a permanent."

Make a symmetrical effect (something that has, in principle, the same effect on all players).

Probably okay, though when is red getting 7RR? Eh.

Cracklestorm 1UR
Tribal Instant - Weird U
Deal 2 damage to each nonweird creature.

Challenge: Something cute.

Jormengand
2015-03-24, 04:47 PM
It's... not actually very weird. It works. It does what it's there to do.

Truenamer's Pet Bunny 3U
Creature - Bunny R
Blue instants and sorceries you control cost 2 less to cast.
So, let me get this straight, I take a check against the bunny's DC to dispel this epic spell?
0/3

Next: Something else related to a dysfunction in a game system.

r2d2go
2015-03-26, 11:04 AM
It's pretty good in the right deck, though being boltable makes it probably balanced. Still, Rewind giving two mana :smalltongue: that's not anywhere near the most broken thing, but it popped into my head for some reason.

Battle Blessing WW
Tribal Enchantment - Cleric R
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and Vigilance.
If enchanted creature is a cleric, it gets +2/+2, Vigilance, First Strike and Lifelink instead.

Challenge: Tribal enchantment.

CantigThimble
2015-03-26, 01:33 PM
Seems better than Daybreak Coronet. And that card is really good.

Energy Cloak UR
Tribal Enchantment - Wizard Aura U
Enchanted creature gains +2/+0 and flying. As long as enchanted creature is a wizard it cannot be blocked.

Assuming a set were to be made with 5 enemy color profession tribes with BW clerics and UR wizards, make a card for one of the other 3 tribes.

In other words make a UG, RW or BG tribal card based on a profession not a race.

braveheart
2015-03-26, 02:37 PM
It's pretty strong, especially if you are running wizards, but it's certainly not broken

Battlefield Commander RW
Creature-Soldier-U
As long as ~ is tapped soldier creatures you control have flanking
2/2

I always like thinking up a new set, so make either the UG or the BG profession tribal

Jormengand
2015-03-26, 02:48 PM
Huh. Neat ability I guess. Probably okay.

Aim Between the Eyes 2BG
Tribal Enchantment - Assassin R
When an assassin you control would deal damage to an opponent, it deals twice as much damage instead.

Next: Okay, fine, let's do the UG one of these.

CantigThimble
2015-03-26, 03:10 PM
Seems reasonable, though red is typically the double damage doer, maybe make them lose 3 life whenever an assassin isn't blocked? Also, good choice, green fights and black does all kinds of assassiny things. I could see that being an interesting tribe.

Keeper of the Falls 1U
Creature - Human Druid C
T: Target land becomes an island until end of turn.
2/1

I don't think it's necessary to demonstrate a green druid. I see them as having lots of landwalk or animation of lands.

Make a card related to the last 5 posts.

braveheart
2015-03-26, 03:10 PM
I guess it works for its cost, but it's pretty dang strong
________ninjas_____________

It works, and it's interesting that three people ninja in with challenges that complete each others and all agreeing that the last faction is Druids

Communal Growth 1UG
Tribal Enchantment-Druid-R
Druids you control have T:G or U

Allright we have BW clerics, UR wizards, WRsoldiers, BG assassins, and UG Druids, make something tribal for one of these factions

mystic1110
2015-03-26, 03:16 PM
Seems too parasitic - probably would be better to do something like "Effect. If Assassin - better effect"

Lets see. . . UG. . . would have been wizard, but UR has that. . . maybe Druid ? Rogue? I see a lot of Rogues in UG. . . but that is too similar to Assassins in BG. . . so druids it is

Soil's Wisdom 1UG
Tribal Instant - Druid C
Draw 3 cards and reveal them. For each one, if they aren't a land cards, discard them. You may play three additional land this turn.

(Summer bloom with a Sindbad effect = still probably not great)

Create a Red Mutant

---------

JEEZ double ninja'd :smalleek:

braveheart
2015-03-26, 03:38 PM
It's not something I'd play unless I was in a limited format and running big green stuff

Two Headed Sargent 3RR
Creature - Soldier Mutant - R
As long as ~ is tapped soldier creatures you control have doublestrike.
After one Wizard raid Urist, and Jorland were thought to be missing in action, one week latter they came back with many a wizards cloak as trophies
2/4

Make something for the BW Cleric faction discussed earlie on this page

Fortuna
2015-03-26, 04:19 PM
Oof. Powerful finisher for a R or RW aggro deck. Off the top of my head, seems like it's probably okay-ish, but I'd want to see some playtesting in Limited.

Driven Devotee 1WW
Creature - Human Cleric U
Whenever Driven Devotee or another non-Zombie Cleric you control dies, put a 2/2 white and black Zombie Cleric token onto the battlefield.
1/1

Make another card for WB clerics playing into this zombie sub-theme, or else presenting a mechanic for them (Extort is cheating :smalltongue:).

mystic1110
2015-03-26, 04:47 PM
Way too powerful for an uncommon - it mirror Rotlung Re animator too well.

Dire Prayer Reader 2B
Creature - Human Cleric C
Worship (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may tap it and any amount of other creatures you control.)
If ~ worships when it enters the battlefield, target opponent loses 1 life for each creature that worships this way.
1/3

Another card with Worship - or come up with a mechanic for the word: Omen

CantigThimble
2015-03-26, 05:17 PM
Hmm, interesting mechanic. This card seems to be designed for board stalls or finishing. It's alright at that.

Dark Communer 3B
Creature - Human Cleric C
Worship
If Dark Communer and at least two other creatures worship when it enters the battlefield draw two cards and lose two life.
2/2

Make a card for UR wizards or BG assassins. (It doesn't need to be both colors)

braveheart
2015-03-26, 05:43 PM
tyat seems like a balanced and useful use of worship, however because of the creature tapping cost it might be fine at 1 life loss

Obsessed Researcher 2U
Creature-Wizard-U
Obsessed researcher cannot attack or block
The first time a card is drawn other than durring the draw step each turn, draw a card
T:target player other than you draws a card
0/4

I'm not sure if I worded that properly, and it might need to be rare

Anyway, make something for our GB assassins

mystic1110
2015-03-26, 05:48 PM
That seems. . . . fine? I am worried about placing something that is essentially an extra draw each turn at uncommon - even with the draw backs and being on a vulnerable creature body.

Camouflaged Killer 4G
Creature - Human Assassin U
Flash, Hexproof
When Camouflaged Killer enters the battlefield if {B} was used to pay for it, destroy target nonartifact, nonblack creature. That creature can't be regenerated.
2/1

Create a card with a casting cost of {R}{R}{R}

braveheart
2015-03-26, 06:01 PM
Unplayable without black, but appropriate with

Practiced Pyromancer RRR
Creature-Wizard-U
RT:~ deals 2 damage to target creature
2/1

Let's see something for the UG Druids to ramp into since we have only seen ramp for them so far

Fortuna
2015-03-26, 06:34 PM
I think that needs to go at rare. Repeatable 2 damage to a creature will clear a lot of boards very quickly.

Deep Communion 5UG
Enchantment R
When Deep Communion enters the battlefield, you may draw a card.
Whenever you cast a spell or play a land, you may draw a card.

Something for the clerics involving zombies. (Zombie tokens go well with worship, I note.)

CantigThimble
2015-03-26, 07:33 PM
Very strong combo/edh kinda card, too expensive for much else though.

Priest of Hunger 3BW
Creature - Zombie Cleric U
Worship
If at least three creatures worshipped when ~ entered the battlefield put 2 2/2 black and white zombie creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Whenever a zombie you control worships each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
2/5

Edit: it occurs to me this can be shortened to Worship 3 if we change the original ability.

Make a card for UG Druids or RW soldiers.

r2d2go
2015-03-26, 09:59 PM
Seems alright. Just getting the guys out is pretty good, and the additional worship synergy is pretty strong.

Blitz Carrier RW
Artifact Creature - Elemental Soldier R
Trample, Haste
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may give any number of target soldiers you control trample and haste. At the end of turn, sacrifice those creatures and ~.
3/1

Challenge: Something else that dies quickly.

Gandariel
2015-03-27, 06:49 AM
I like it! It's pretty flavorful and cool! Couple with some random buffs and you have a finisher

Blooming Horror BG
Creature - Horror Plant R
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on ~ and you lose 2 life
5/5

Umm, is this balanced? I feel it should be. But it's a risky territory, and I'm not much of an expert.

Next, make a high CMC creature with some way of playing it early (convoke, Delve, those Avatars of xx, or whatever comes to mind)

mystic1110
2015-03-27, 09:18 AM
I like it! The upsetting thing is, that it would be considered weak even though its a 2 mana attacking 4/4 on turn 3.

Hmm. . .

Blood-Paid Brother 4BB
Creature - Human Mercenary R
Instead of paying ~'s mana cost you may place it up for auction. If you do exile ~ and each player may bid life. You start the bidding with a bid of any number. In turn order, each player may top the high bid. The bidding ends if the high bid stands. The high bidder loses life equal to the high bid and may place ~ onto the battlefield under his or her control.
7/3

Create another Mercenary

braveheart
2015-03-27, 12:08 PM
It's an interesting mechanic, and I can see it being a thing for a set as a keyword, however the ability to do that with 0 mana cost is too strong so

Mercenary Specislist 4BR
Unblockable, Hexproof, Up for Hire (2)(instead of paying ~ mana cost you may cast it by allowing each player to bid in turn order, until all players have passed on one bid, the player with the highest bid pays life equal to their bid and (2), that player gains control of ~ when it enters the battlefield)
4/1

Make a large UG creature

Warmatt
2015-03-27, 01:01 PM
Nice, builds off the pervious merc, and expands on the mechanic

Deep Sage Korvath 6(U/G)(U/G)
Legendary Creature- Deep Troll Wizard R
Hexproof, Counter Strike (If ~ would be dealt combat damage, negate the combat damage and deal X damage to target attacker, where X is the damage negated)
XUU, T- Fateseal X and Scry X
XGG, T- Return target creature from the graveyard with X +1/+1 counters under your control
6/8

Challenge; Make a Parody of a Politician :smalltongue:

CantigThimble
2015-03-27, 01:04 PM
Seems more BU than BR with unblockable and hexproof. I honestly don't think the 'hire' ability is deep enough to make into a keyword (then again, hideaway and epic are keywords) though this version is very different from a pure life bid version. As is, I think this card will probably be played as a 'rhystic' card. You wait until your opponent is tapped out then pay 2 mana for him. Looked at that way he could easily be super busted.

Awakener Council 5UG
Creature - Human Druid MR
Hexproof
Landbond (You may pair this creature with an unpaired land when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Awakener Council is paired, the paired land is a 6/6 blue and green creature with Hexproof.
6/6

Make a mono-red card with something to make it hard to kill.

Jormengand
2015-03-27, 05:34 PM
Well, it's already a (6+enemy power)/infinity, before the fact that you can repeatedly get things back onto the field for GG, especially with the multitude of untap target permanent effects that a blue deck can access. Honestly, Scry X fateseal X is pretty nasty too, because you can probably manaflood your opponent for the rest of the game.

The People We Trust 2UU
Creature - Human Aristocrat R
T: Tap target permanent. If The People We Trust have a politics counter on them, you may tap another target permanent.
When The People We Trust enter the battlefield, bluff. If you win the bluff, put a politics counter on them. (To bluff, name a card. You opponent guesses whether or not that card is in your hand. If it is, you may reveal your hand; if you do you win the bluff.)
3/4

Next: A new keyword/action/ability.

r2d2go
2015-03-27, 08:27 PM
The People We Trust 2UU
T: Tap target permanent. If The People We Trust have a politics counter on them, you may tap another target permanent.
When The People We Trust enter the battlefield, bluff. If you win the bluff, put a politics counter on them. (To bluff, name a card. You opponent guesses whether or not that card is in your hand. If it is, you may reveal your hand; if you do you win the bluff.)
3/4

Next: A new keyword/action/ability.

You actually need some extra text on Bluff - as is, you don't have anything connecting your opponent's guess to the winning of the bluff. It should be "Name a card. Your opponent guesses whether or not that card is in your hand. Reveal your hand. If they were wrong, you win the bluff."

Or, trying to preserve your wording as much as possible, but also allowing for you to just not reveal your hand in exchange for taking the loss (which is probably better, now that I think about it)... "To bluff, name a card. You opponent guesses whether or not that card is in your hand. If they guessed incorrectly, you may reveal your hand; if you do, you win the bluff." Yeah, that's better :smalltongue:

Anyway, it's probably okay. 4 mana for doubletap is good, 3/4 body is alright, reveal hand is not so good, but overall it's weak rare/strong uncommon level, IMO.

Blackfire RB
Sorcery - U
Deal 3 damage to target creature. If it is corrupted, destroy it instead. It can't be regenerated.
Corrupt. (Put a -1/-1 counter on any creatures targeted by this spell. They are corrupted.)

Challenge: Something else with self-synergy.

braveheart
2015-03-28, 02:23 AM
its interesting, it forces you to run 4 of them in your deck, I guess it works

Contaminated Frosts (X)UB
Instant - R
Tap X target creatures, if those creatures were corrupted they don't untap during their controller's next untap step
Corrupt (put a -1/-1 counter on any creatures targeted by this spell. They are corrupted)

Go for a new mechanic

Ninjaman
2015-03-28, 06:58 AM
Seems like a pain trying to remember. Should probably just care about -1/-1 counters.

Imortal Blademanster - 2WW
Creature - Spirit Warrior - M
Doublestrike
Imortal (When this creature dies you may pay it's mana cost, if you do return it to the battlefield.)
3/3

Something green that flies.

Warmatt
2015-03-28, 07:07 AM
Looks like a better return mechanic, sort of like an Echo effect you can use to get it back from the grave, without the various counters or discards.

Leaping Serpent 2G
Creature- Snake UR
GG- ~ Has Flying until the end of the turn.
Threshold; ~ Gains Flying and Firststike (You have Threshold as long as seven or more cards are in your graveyard)
3/2

Challenge; Make a card based around a non-Abrahamic holiday.

r2d2go
2015-03-28, 02:36 PM
Has some formatting problems (e.g. Threshold wording and a rarity of UR) but overall ok. Probably shouldn't have one of the instances if flying, though - as is it's redundant, and the card remains a strong uncommon.

Spring 3GWB
Legendary Creature - Elemental Incarnation MR
(W/B)G: Exile target creature card from a graveyard.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove all -1/-1 counters from creatures you control. Then, return creatures exiled with ~ to the battlefield under your control with a -1/-1 counter.
Birth. Growth. Revival.
6/6

Challenge: Something else with a lot in the type line. Bonus points for the same as above.

Warmatt
2015-03-28, 02:50 PM
Overall, a solid way to return creatures to the field, and even gives a good temporary penalty to even it out a bit. That said, I go for flavor, and don't know overmuch about card balance, but over all looks solid.

Destined Hero 3(W/R)(W/G)(W/U)
Legendary Enchantment Creature- Human Elemental Incarnation MR
Setback (When ~ would be destroyed, pay X and place a +1/+1 token on ~ instead. X is equal to 3+the number of +1/+1 tokens on ~), Isolated (Cannot be targeted by Controller)
If ~ has at least 3 +1/+1 counters, ~ has Reach and First Strike
If ~ has at least 5 +1/+1 counters, ~ has Vigilance and T- Fight target creature
If ~ has at least 7 +1/+1 counters, ~ has; Sacrifice ~- Destroy 7 Permanents your opponent controls
2/2

Challenge; Create a Villain or a Hero

Jormengand
2015-03-28, 03:26 PM
Isolated already exists in the form of protection from you (confusion with isolation is less concerning, but it's an ability we've made). The card is functional and not overpowered, but setback needs to be optional and the card is probably too complex.

The Betrayer we Fight 2BB
When the Betrayer we fight enters the battlefield, target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. Then bluff. If you win the bluff, you may have another target creature get -2/-2 until end of turn. (To bluff, name a card. You opponent guesses whether or not that card is in your hand. If they guessed incorrectly, you may reveal your hand; if you do, you win the bluff.)

Next: More bluff, or a similar ability if you don't like bluff.

Fortuna
2015-03-28, 03:32 PM
Isolated is a pure-downside mechanic that's not actually very interesting or fun most days - it could appear on a creature, but should not be a keyword. Setback has wording issues, and seems much too specific to be a useful keyword. And the sheer amount of mana you have to pump into this to get something approaching worthwhile is ridiculous. Not your finest work, I fear.

Night's Betrayer 3B
Creature - Vampire Assassin U
W, T: Destroy target black creature.
3/3

Make a cat.

Warmatt
2015-03-28, 03:41 PM
It's a good bluff card, and packs a pretty good chance of hurting the competition's creatures.

Minion Master 3(W/B)(W/B)
Creature- Human Aristocrat R
Extort
When ~ enters the field, place two 2/2 Black/White Human Minion tokens with Extort into play. Then Bluff. If you win the bluff, place another two Black/White human minion tokens with Extort into play. To bluff, name a card. You opponent guesses whether or not that card is in your hand. If they guessed incorrectly, you may reveal your hand; if you do, you win the bluff.)
A cut above the common rabble, she rules through a web of deceit and muscle.
2/3

Challenge; Design an Epic card.

Fortuna
2015-03-28, 04:20 PM
Five mana for six power and triple extort would already be one hell of a bomb in Limited, which is the only place this is getting played. Adding the bluff clause pushes this to ridiculous - five mana for ten power and quintuple extort? No, I don't think so.

Chaos Mastery 5UR
Sorcery - MR
Choose one -

Target permanent's owner reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a card that shares a type with that permanent. That player puts that card onto the battlefield, then shuffles the target into their library.
Exchange control of two target permanents that share a type.

Epic

Make a cat.

r2d2go
2015-03-28, 04:24 PM
...huh. I'm not sure it's really worth it, since you're not gaining any bodies, only exchanging for (possibly) higher value stuff. I can see it in a Possibility Storm deck, but was that ever really a thing? :smalltongue: Also, you'd need to get some small stuff on the board in order to use this properly, and it wouldn't be able to use the smaller instants/sorceries that double as search for this card or Possibility Storm. Overall alright, though.

Big Happy Cat 1WW
Creature - Cat R
Vigilance, First Strike
Whenever ~ takes damage, transform it.
1/4

Big Angry Cat
Creature - Cat R
Vigilance, First Strike
Whenever a creature that ~ damaged this turn dies, transform ~.
4/4

Challenge: Another nonstandard transform condition.

Jormengand
2015-03-28, 05:10 PM
Huh. 1WW for a vigilant, first-striking 4/4 if you have something to ping it. Well, I suppose you are having to ping it, but still. Also, a white creature that becomes happy by killing things seems off.

Hope against Hope R
Enchantment - R
When Hope against Hope enters the battlefield, flip a coin. If you lose the flip, transform it.
Creatures you control get +4/+0
//////////////////////////////
Forlorn Hope (R)
Enchantment - R
Creatures you control get -4/-0

Next: Something else which can have a negative effect.

Fortuna
2015-03-28, 05:37 PM
I can't imagine who would get an enjoyable experience out of playing this. It's an average-neutral effect which is going to dramatically swing games. I suppose you could run it in a creature-based combo deck as an alternate win condition, but spending a card for the privilege of being allowed to flip a coin to maybe get an effect seems unfortunate. Opening this as your rare in Limited will make you very sad.

Double Agent {U/B}
Creature - Elf Rogue R
Double Agent can't be blocked.
Whenever a player draws a card other than the first card they draw in their draw step, that player reveals their hand.
1/1

Make a dwarf that has a reason to be a dwarf.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-28, 07:41 PM
Hmm. Interesting colors for an elf. It's a pretty good card without the hand revealing. But I confess I don't really see a ton of utility in the other ability either way. Sure it can be bad for you, or you could potentially cause some shenanigans for your opponent, but it just doesn't seem to bring you much closer to winning or losing either way. The secrecy of your hand has just never felt that important to me. Still, it's an interesting concept around which you could no doubt build, say, an interesting min-set or cycle.

Dwarven Tunnel-Master 1RR
Creature-Dwarf Soldier; R

Dwarf creatures you control have mountainwalk.
T: Put a mining counter on target land. That land is a Mountain in addition to its other types as long as it has a mining counter on it.
Remove a mining counter from a land: Add R to your mana pool.

2/2

And yes, this synergizes horrifically with Gemstone Mine, which is intentional.

Next challenge: More dwarfs! Or dwarves. Whichever.

Warmatt
2015-03-28, 07:53 PM
That's a good dwarf. Which, is why I feel compelled to make this....

Gotrek, the Worst Dwarven Slayer 4RRBBWWGG
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080501225851/warhammeronline/images/c/c4/GotrekGurnissonConcept.jpg
Legendary Creature- Avatar Dwarf Warrior MR
Hexproof, Indestructible
Brutality (Whenever ~ deals combat damage, place a +1/+1 counter on ~), Vengeance (Whenever ~ takes combat damage, place a +1/+1 counter on ~), Rampage 5, Trample, Unrelenting (Whenever a -1/-1 counter would be placed on ~, place a +1/+1 counter instead), Slayer (Targets of combat damage may not benefit from any from of damage mitigation, protection, regeneration or indestructibility) Vigilance
"Some call him the worst slayer in dwarven history. Others call him the Avatar of Grimnir, born to wreck eternal vengeance."
8/12

And yeah, not balanced in the slightest, but wanted to do the most badass dwarf I ever read about.

Challenge; Make a Legendary Creature based off a novel you read

Jormengand
2015-03-28, 08:04 PM
I think you know why this is a bad idea.

Caine Soren 3BR
Legendary Creature - Human MR
T: Caine Soren deals 2 damage to target creature or player and 1 damage to another target creature or player.
3WW: Transform Caine
2/3
//////////////////////
Nemesis (WBR)
Legendary Creature - Human God
Indestructible
If your devotion to red or to black is greater than your devotion to white, Nemesis isn't a creature.
When a creature fights, blocks or becomes blocked by Nemesis, exile it.
1/1

Next: A robot.

Warmatt
2015-03-28, 08:19 PM
Don't know the book, but over all it looks good, transforming in a different manner, and kicking some ass.

Bender Bending Rodriguez 5
Legendary Artifact Creature- Golem Rouge MR
Larceny 3 (When you play ~, you may look at three cards in targets library or hand, and may add one to your hand), Reach
UB- Gain First Strike and either Lifelink or Wither until the end of the turn.
XU, T- Target permanent loses X charge or +1/+1 counters, and ~ gains X +1/+1 counters
XB, T- Target Enchantment or Artifact with converted mana cost or equip cost X is now attached/equipped to ~
"I'm the Greatest!"
2/6

Challenge; A Celebrity Parody

r2d2go
2015-03-28, 10:03 PM
As seems to be a trend, too complicated. It also has insane sideboard potential (vs Equips, Enchants, Charge counters, +1/+1 counters) as well as very high base potential for a colorless 5 drop. Cut out the second two abilities and it might work, though UB doesn't do First Strike.

False Fame UWB
Enchantment - R
Enchanted creature and creatures that share its name are Legendary.
U(W/B): Tap target creature. Enchanted creature gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
It's exhausting, being famous...

(A parody of being a celebrity, not a specific celebrity)

Challenge: Something simple.

Warmatt
2015-03-28, 10:08 PM
Eh, I like complicated and flavorful that fits :smallsmile: That said, your card is nice and simple, nice quip, fits the card, and a simple effect.

Ork Boy 2R(G/R)
Creature- Ork Warrior UR
Bloodthirst 2, Rampage 2
WAAAAAAAGH!!!!!
3/3

Challenge; Something based around Jyggalag (Deadric Prince of Order)

Fortuna
2015-03-28, 10:32 PM
Critique without a card here. I'm not sure what 'UR' is supposed to mean on the type line there - I assume you couldn't decide if it was uncommon or rare? Either way, seems too high - this could probably be a common. And please, don't make your challenges depend on being familiar with a particular work. It's immensely frustrating for all those of us who have no idea who that is, and only a hazy idea what a daedric prince is - what I get from your challenge amounts to 'make something white', but I'm sure it's more specific than that.

Warmatt
2015-03-28, 10:36 PM
Sorry bout that, though UR was Uncommon:smallfrown: As for Jyggalag, think Order taken way to far, coupled with a hyper blue intellect that takes into account everything that can and will happen... including those that can alter/control time.

That said, sorry bout that :smallfrown:

r2d2go
2015-03-29, 01:27 AM
Decent uncommon. Could probably be 2(R/G)(R/G) or 2RG.

Well, I dunno if I can get this, but...

Forced Control 3WUB
Sorcery - MR
Forecast WUB - Put a Control enchantment token onto the battlefield.
Target player takes an additional turn after this one. If that player is not you, and you control a Control token, you control them during that turn.

Basically harder color Time Warp/Mindslaver.

Challenge: Another Time Warp or Mindslaver effect. Bonus points for both.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-03-29, 02:09 AM
Super weird, but WUB isn't the right colors for true wackiness. I raise you:

Lunatic Science! UR
Instant; MR (or Unset)

Flip two coins.
* If you win the first flip, take an extra turn after this one.
* If you lose the first flip, target opponent takes an extra turn after this one.
* If you lost the first flip, but win the second flip, you control your opponent during his or her next turn.
* If you won the first flip, but lose the second flip, target opponent controls you during your next turn.
* If you win both flips, take an extra turn after this one and you control target opponent on his or her next turn.
* If you lose both flips, target opponent takes an extra turn after this one, and that opponent controls you on your next turn.

"What the hell is going on?"
"I have no idea."
"Perfect."

Next: Something that makes total sense.

Fortuna
2015-03-29, 07:37 AM
So, table of outcomes, assuming you intended to start the text with 'choose target player'.

WW: Take two extra turns after this one, you control target opponent during their next turn.
WL: Take an extra turn after this one, but target opponent controls you during your next turn.
LW: Target opponent takes an extra turn after this one, but you control that opponent during that turn.
LL: Target opponent takes two extra turns after this one and controls you during your next turn.

In general, I really despise cheap symmetrical swingy effects like this one. They have a tendency to literally reduce the outcome of the game to coin flips, which is just aggravating to play against. This one is particularly ridiculously swingy. I can see possible applications in Star, where it might become broken rather than silly, but if the card's only playable when it's broken you've got serious problems.

This is... a really broad challenge. Or really narrow, depending on how you interpret it.

Make Sense 3U
Enchantment - U
At the beginning of your upkeep, put an investigation counter on target creature without an investigation counter.
Whenever a creature with an investigation counter dies, draw a card.
Each time they closed on a suspect, another corpse raised further questions.

More dwarves! Make a common dwarf that has a reason to be a dwarf.