PDA

View Full Version : Best game for a state-sized Post-Zombie-Apocalypse game?

PhallicWarrior
2015-01-02, 01:47 AM
I just played through The Last of Us, along with some friends, and I've got that syndrome where my first response to a fictional universe I like is to try to run games set in it. My gaming group is all for it, but we can't decide what system to use. (All Flesh Must Be Eaten was suggested, then downvoted, several players having tried it previously and hated it.) The system needs to have a decent level of lethality, but not so much that everyone dies or is crippled to the point of uselessness in a single attack. Combat has to be risky, but (and I quote): "Not so risky that if we're outnumbered 4 to 5 they wipe us out." Also, robust non-combat mechanics would be nice.

ImNotTrevor
2015-01-02, 02:46 AM
Do you need a system specifically for Zombos?

I imagine FATE core would be good for it, with some adjustments made to incorporate the survival elements. That would be easy enough, I assume. (A hunger gauge that decreases over time, a thirst one that goes down faster, and both might deplete more quickly in other circumstances.)

Since losing a fight that you don't willingly forfeit means that whatever the GM/winner says happens, happens, it can be generally understood that losing usually means death.

Apart from that, I'm not personally aware of any. Im sure there's a GURPS for it.

aspekt
2015-01-02, 01:59 PM
I've heard FUDGE is good as a streamlined GURPS.

Whay about d20 Modern? I think there's an apocalypse supplement for that.

Also, just curious, but when you say "state sized" what are you looking for the rules to do geographically?

Brookshw
2015-01-02, 04:40 PM
D20 modern can make a decent zombie game though house rules for head shots is generally required for the genre.

Sidmen
2015-01-02, 04:50 PM
I once used new World of Darkness for a zombie apocalypse game. Felt like it had a good lethality bit, and it had a zombie supplement that lets you design different types of zombies and how they interact with the players. You could give them wails to keep your players awake all night, adding exhaustion to the deprivation and exposure they'll face.

Ailowynn
2015-01-02, 10:07 PM
I don't have personal experience with it, but I've heard good things about The End of the World RPG (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=275&enmi=The%20End%20of%20the%20World).

SiuiS
2015-01-05, 02:42 AM
World of darkness Godmachine Chronicle rules update.

Lethality is there for vulnerable bits, but defense and armor make 'field work' safe (enough). Allow ballistic armor to function against bites a-la knife vests, say, and you could theoretically have people taping magazines to their arms and legs for armor that converts bites from lethal (and bleeding) to bashing bruises. Damage recovers 1 pip every fifteen minutes, the system works with shooting zombies as an action and shooting zombies in the head specifically, as an action, and the rules work just as well for scavenging, foot chases, social maneuvering and retrofitting gun parts as they do combat.

Zombies can basically be built in a plethora of ways depending on how you want the system to handle them, because you pick a set of end-goals and just sort of establish them. For example, I have people who died recently as rage zombies and they suffer wounds like a mortal does (bashing to lethal to aggravated, head shots kill them instantly, etc.), risen corpses or fresh ones that last long enough become shamblers who, like vampires, take almost no damage from weapons until you get them in the vulnerable spot, and possessed corpses that burn with charnel soul fire and are basically spirits possessing and riding around in objects. Human shaped meat objects. The rules handle all three with aplomb.

Merits and the sanctity of merits work out, too. If a guy puts points into safe place, then if that safe place is overrun, he can make a new one elsewhere and get those benefits again. Or put them into something else instead if need be. I have a crew whose safe place is a boat that's about to be scuttled, and they plan to grab an ambulance and keep it in good repair. Works for me! I'll shuttle them to somewhere like a prison once the ambulance runs down.

All in all, of you want a game to showcase human Efforts against an apocalypse backdrop, it works wonders.

Apocalypse world gets honorable mention as well. Amazing game for that sort of thing if it is your bag.

Somebloke
2015-01-05, 02:37 PM
I ran apocalypse world, and if you get rid of some of the sillier elements it does a very good job- just don't expect a very structured game. The system runs very heavily on improv and 'play to find out'.

SiuiS
2015-01-07, 04:01 PM
I ran apocalypse world, and if you get rid of some of the sillier elements it does a very good job- just don't expect a very structured game. The system runs very heavily on improv and 'play to find out'.

Indeed. That fits the strangeness and emergent issues of zombie media very well though. One bad roll and suddenly "you're surrounded by zombies and broke your leg" just like in the comics/games/movies/TV show!

Somebloke
2015-01-07, 06:24 PM
I ran a AW game based on The Sick Land web serial- it went well, other than that the party turned on each other within 45 minutes. So exactly like a good zombie flick.

Plus Michonne from the walking dead is an excellent example of a battlebabe done right.

There's the Simple World hack that is out there for anyone who wants a more paired down experience with zero silly elements. Basically it's *World Universal.