PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class suggestions?

Jannex
2007-03-31, 08:25 AM
I'm reasonably confident that this is the right place to ask this question...

So I'm finally getting to PC again, playing my runt-minotaur ranger. We're just about to hit 10th level, and I've been wondering if there might be some fun prestige-class options for him, just to keep things interesting. I'd even consider taking a few levels in another base class, if it was character-appropriate. Here's the relevant information on the character:

As it stands, he's 9th level gestalt. I worked with my DM to tweak his minotaur stats, getting him down to 4 racial hit dice and +1 LA (which my DM was kind enough to count in only one gestalt column). The rest of that column is taken up by 4 fighter levels, and the entire second column is devoted to 9 levels of ranger. He's gone for the two-weapon style, with Oversized-TWF and paired bastard swords. I have the basic fighter feats (Weapon Focus and Specialization, Melee Weapon Mastery), and Improved Critical (it may not be optimal, but I less-than-three it :smallbiggrin: 'Specially since my DM house-rules that it stacks with Keen). Skillwise, he's a bit of an awareness-monkey, with good stealth, tumble, etc. In terms of personality, he's calm, polite, intelligent, and a bit sarcastic. If I recall correctly, he's also the only Good-aligned member of the party (everybody else being Neutral on that axis); he's NG.

The reason I'm at such a loss for advancement direction right now is because this semester, one of the new PCs to the campaign convinced the DM to convert to gestalt (we all love gestalt in my gaming group); last year we were standard character creation. So I essentially got handed five more levels of ranger all at once, and oh, have four levels of fighter while you're at it--everybody needs feats. So I need to figure out where I want to go from here. I'm looking for something interesting; where I am now, ranger's only exciting every few levels, and fighter doesn't do anything but get feats. While feats are useful, they aren't terribly exciting either. I have something of a fondness for class features. I'm not looking to powergame, but neither will I turn up my nose at something that would be in-character just because it's powerful. (One of the new PCs, while he's a great roleplayer and a good friend, is a truly egregious powergamer, and he helped the other new PC make his character, so I'm on the low end of the cheese curve right about now.)

And, before anyone suggests it, one of the new PCs is a scout looking to go into horizon walker, and I'd rather not step on his toes in that regard, especially since this is his first D&D game (he's been roleplaying for a couple of years, but last night was his first d20 session, to my knowledge). So, if anyone has any interesting suggestions or thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Zincorium
2007-03-31, 08:52 AM
Well, the first thing that strikes me as really odd is that you're spending both sides on melee combat, full BAB characters (monstrous humanoid levels definitely fitting that characteristic). That's, well, kind of a waste really.

As far as prestige classes to take, there's a strong incentive here to go for something that focuses on class features as opposed to BAB, HD, or skills, as you've already got decent abilities in all those areas. Druid, Swordsage, or Psychic Warrior would sync up well with a high wisdom melee fighter like you seem to have going, and you could take a level or two of those as a jumping off point to something else.

Just going off of what you have, assuming that your group follows the gestalt guideline of only taking Prcs up one side, I'd suggest Tempest if you can meet the feat requirements as an add on to your TWF-ness, and if the flavor fit better dervish would be a shoe-in for twirling around with a bastard sword in each hand. Exotic weapon master is almost a no brainer, except the one really cool trick for a bastard sword wielder, Uncanny Blow, is made kind of pointless since you're wielding two. Kensai is always awesome if you're lawful, but you've already stated you aren't.

Basically, the problem I have is that you almost-but-not-quite fit most of the general prestige classes, and since we don't know too much about the campaign any setting- or monster-specific PrCs don't come to the front.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Kultrum
2007-03-31, 08:54 AM
If you like 2WF then tempest (complete adventurer) is a good option

Jannex
2007-03-31, 09:38 AM
Well, the first thing that strikes me as really odd is that you're spending both sides on melee combat, full BAB characters (monstrous humanoid levels definitely fitting that characteristic). That's, well, kind of a waste really.

That's a fair statement, though initially the character had been straight ranger after the racial hit dice; the dip into fighter levels got added as an afterthought when we converted to gestalt, with the rationale that the extra feats would make him more effective in melee. The trouble is, when I first came up with his concept, I didn't design him as a gestalt character. I'd been planning on having him going straight ranger. Gestalt kind of got tacked on afterward, and while I'm not complaining (who complains about gestalt?), it makes advancing him kind of a puzzle.

As far as prestige classes to take, there's a strong incentive here to go for something that focuses on class features as opposed to BAB, HD, or skills, as you've already got decent abilities in all those areas. Druid, Swordsage, or Psychic Warrior would sync up well with a high wisdom melee fighter like you seem to have going, and you could take a level or two of those as a jumping off point to something else.

I think I'll probably steer away from Psychic Warrior, just on the basis of a personal distaste for psionics, but from what little I know of Swordsage, it might be worth looking into. One of the other players mentioned it to me at the end of last night's session, but I confess I don't know much about the class.

Just going off of what you have, assuming that your group follows the gestalt guideline of only taking Prcs up one side, I'd suggest Tempest if you can meet the feat requirements as an add on to your TWF-ness, and if the flavor fit better dervish would be a shoe-in for twirling around with a bastard sword in each hand. Exotic weapon master is almost a no brainer, except the one really cool trick for a bastard sword wielder, Uncanny Blow, is made kind of pointless since you're wielding two. Kensai is always awesome if you're lawful, but you've already stated you aren't.

I took a quick look at Tempest last night (also on the suggestion of that other player), but unfortunately I don't mean the feat prerequisites--which is a shame, as with other characters I tend to be all about the Dodge-Mobility-Spring Attack tree. Which also pretty much rules out Dervish (also tragic; I love that PrC), though that's kind of just as well, since the rogue/fighter half-elf is a Dervish, and again the concern of stepping on another player's toes.

Basically, the problem I have is that you almost-but-not-quite fit most of the general prestige classes, and since we don't know too much about the campaign any setting- or monster-specific PrCs don't come to the front.

Fair enough. I see what you mean about the character almost-but-not-quite fitting several different options (hence why I'm having such trouble figuring out what to do with him).

As far as the setting, the basic plotline of the game deals with the PCs getting caught in the middle of the Blood War. The DM has refitted the Inner Planes onto a ten-element system, which is kind of nifty, with the Outer Planes remaining (as far as I know) fairly canon.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I appreciate the effort. And you've given me some things to think about. I should take a look at Swordsage (where is that, Tome of Battle?), and maybe investigate Exotic Weapon Master and Kensai (he really isn't that far from Lawful... I had a hard time nailing down his position on the ethical axis when I first came up with him. He tends to agree conceptually with a more Chaotic ethical philosophy--freedom and personal responsibility, and all--but in practice, I think he behaves and comes across more Lawfully. And since the two new PCs to the campaign are military types, he could easily end up leaning a little further in that direction)--but does the Kensai's awesome-shiny-weapon ability benefit a TWF combat type?

Bloodlust
2007-03-31, 02:11 PM
What is gestalt?

kamikasei
2007-03-31, 02:14 PM
What is gestalt?

Gestalt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm). It's a variant play style where you gain levels in two classes at a time, gaining the unique features of each, and the better of any ability that overlaps. Eg, a gestalt fighter//wizard (the // is used to represent the two "sides" of a gestalt build) gets a fighter's armor and weapon proficiencies, a wizard's spellcasting and familiar, both classes' bonus feats, good will and fortitude, d10 hit die, full BAB... and so on.

Kultrum
2007-03-31, 02:15 PM
What is gestalt?

its a variant that lets you take two classes at once (Unearthed Arcana)

Annarrkkii
2007-03-31, 02:31 PM
My suggestions:

For level 10 gestalt. On one side, the fighter side, take swordsage. As a ranger, you're already wearing light or no armor, and two levels of swordsage give you Wisdom to AC. Before that, though, your first level gives you 6 maneuvers, as if if you had an IL of 5, which means up to 3rd-level moves. As a TWF-beast, I recommend grabbing Tiger Claw moves, and as a tank, I recommend a few Stone Dragon moves, as well.

On the other side of the gestalt, the ranger side, I would suggest you continue to pursue the ranger class, to keep full BAB and move towards the best in stealth skill abilities. If you insist of a prestige class, then I would suggest, as a bastard sword-wielder, the Exotic Weapon Master class, that, when combined with some maneuvers and tanking, will allow for some heavy damage-dealing.

Kel_Arath
2007-03-31, 03:15 PM
i would ay go exotic weapons master for the cool weapon tricks, and as for the other class, get something that just has neat stuff, a few levels of rogue for skill points and sneak attack never hurts.
and (unless it was houseruled and i just skipped over it) gestault doesnt allow two prestiege classes side by side, just prestiege and normal

ocato
2007-03-31, 04:17 PM
If you feel your character doesn't really fit into any of the base PrCs or none of them tickle your fancy, try popping over to the homebrew forum and see what they're working up. If your DM has you guys playing Gestalt he or she is probably fairly open to interesting new ideas of play.