PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Valor Bard Ability: Combat Inspiration

MadGrady
2015-01-02, 03:31 PM
Ok, so I have a question for you DM's out here.

I'm building a valor bard, and its first ability gained is Combat Inspiration. This ability allows a player to use Bardic Inspiration die on their damage, as well as a special bonus to their AC.

For the AC portion, it says this:

"The creature can add the roll to their AC after seeing the roll, but before knowing whether it hits or misses."

So in order to use it - a DM has to not only roll in the open, but can't announce their to hit total in that briefest of seconds after the die is rolled.

When I DM - this only takes a second or so, and thats IF I even roll in the open - most of the time I roll behind a screen to help manage the battle omniciently. So how have you all resolved this?

Do you allow your players to use it after to hit total is declared?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-01-02, 03:41 PM
If rolling in the open, then any player paying attention could figure out the to-hit after the first roll, unless the DM has all the PC's AC memorized and is only announcing "hit" or "miss" and not giving a number. Probably not super important to keep that info secret so allowing a player to use the die slightly retro-actively wouldn't break things.

Following on that logic, and if rolling secretly, I'd allow the die to be used after they learn of the result. But I can be pretty lax on procedural rules if it simplifies things.

MadGrady
2015-01-02, 04:08 PM
If rolling in the open, then any player paying attention could figure out the to-hit after the first roll, unless the DM has all the PC's AC memorized and is only announcing "hit" or "miss" and not giving a number. Probably not super important to keep that info secret so allowing a player to use the die slightly retro-actively wouldn't break things.

Following on that logic, and if rolling secretly, I'd allow the die to be used after they learn of the result. But I can be pretty lax on procedural rules if it simplifies things.

This is sort of where I was leaning towards - it just doesn't make sense to be that specific an instance.

Ashrym
2015-01-02, 04:16 PM
I roll in the open anyway, and it's easier for the player to see good roll than it is for the DM to see a specific number and then total, even if both are quick. The player should have the opportunity to interject while the DM is formulating a narrative. The DM should give that moment to respond, regardless.

DM's who hide the rolls should give some sort of indication in the description to indicate whether it might make a difference or not and then provide that moment to interject, but that devalues the ability. If the DM hides dice to fudge rolls that devalues the ability a lot because there's no point in applying a limited ability to something arbitrarily changed anyway.

Hope that helps, from both a DM and player perspective.