PDA

View Full Version : Fireing into combat

Umarth
2007-03-31, 09:29 AM
Just curious how many people follow the cover rules when archers are fireing into combat.

-4 if something, including a creature, is between you and your target.
-4 if the target is engaged in combat.

So if your behind your tank and fireing at his target you've got a massive -8 to hit.

Clementx
2007-03-31, 09:57 AM
Aside for it being +4 to AC for soft cover, and -4 to your attack for firing into melee, everyone does use that. You are supposed to get into good position to avoid soft cover, and take the feats that negate those penalties, if you are going to be a good archer.

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-31, 10:51 AM
Improved precise shot, that is how I fire into melee...

ocato
2007-03-31, 03:47 PM
Point blank shot + standing right behind the guy helps too. The fighter is getting all that lovely flankatronic hit bonus and you're shooting the enemy in the back of the head for +1. Even nicer when dealing with the rogue. The poor enemy is asking himself, "Do I turn and get this archer off my butt and let the rogue snickersnack sneak attack me in the spine?"

Double awesome if you're an archer rogue (:haley:) and the other flanker is a dagger/short sword etc rogue

God help me if you don't get sneak attack when flanking anymore. I've never been a rogue really.

Rigeld2
2007-03-31, 04:30 PM
You do get SA when flanking, but you cant flank with a bow, because ranged weapons dont threaten. So your whole scenario doesnt work.

ocato
2007-03-31, 04:35 PM
Oh well, woulda been cool.

Amiria
2007-03-31, 04:43 PM
The Whisperknife (Row) gets Ranged Flank as a high level ability. Only works within 10 ft. of the enemy but still pretty cool.

Olethros
2007-03-31, 06:42 PM
Remember that only the person closest to the cover gets the bonus to AC, in this way, firing from behind crenalations (or out of arrow slits) provides the archer with cover but provides no bonus to the target. It workes the same way with people.

If you are the same distance from the "cover" than there is no bonus, so either clear a line of fire to the baddy up against the fighter, or stand directly behind your friend.

Tach13
2007-03-31, 07:41 PM
I actually ddn't realize that another character could be cover when trying to throw a dart at a skeleton one day (didn't have any stones handy to throw to be bludgening). Ended up missing due to cover, and since that cover was another character, it actually hit him in the leg.
Luckily only did 1 point damage, but lesson was learned that day.

Umarth
2007-04-01, 08:55 PM
Remember that only the person closest to the cover gets the bonus to AC, in this way, firing from behind crenalations (or out of arrow slits) provides the archer with cover but provides no bonus to the target. It workes the same way with people.

If you are the same distance from the "cover" than there is no bonus, so either clear a line of fire to the baddy up against the fighter, or stand directly behind your friend.

While this is true for some things like, as you mentioned arrow slits, I don't think I've ever seen in the rules that creatures only provide cover to who ever is closer.

If there is an elephant standing 20 feet away from me it sure seems like that would still provide someone 100 further down.

Olethros
2007-04-01, 09:30 PM
While this is true for some things like, as you mentioned arrow slits, I don't think I've ever seen in the rules that creatures only provide cover to who ever is closer.

If there is an elephant standing 20 feet away from me it sure seems like that would still provide someone 100 further down.

I agree completly with your logic, and would most likely impose a "situational" penalty on a player attempting to shoot over (or under) an elephant at a target. Also, I am suddenly unsure whch rule book mentioned the ruling on the proximity to cover.

Clementx
2007-04-01, 10:39 PM
Proximity to cover only applies to low cover PHB p151.

Matthew
2007-04-03, 03:58 PM
I always preferred the 3.0 Cover Rules. The 3.5 ones are too bland. all the same, Cover often calls for a DM judgement call.