PDA

View Full Version : The life cycle and breeding habits of one of my races. Dryad. What do you think?

Rfkannen
2015-01-02, 08:10 PM
So I was building one of my races, and after talking a bit with reddit this is the life cycle that I came up with. What do you think? It is for a plant race that is kind of like the settings warforged as they are the only race that has a large percent of the populos that still remembers the last war. (Aka a reminder of war). Still not sure what they look like but they are large (as in the d&d size catagory) plants, have flowers sometimes, and represent the sin of pride. What do you think?

It all begins when a seed that has been floating in the air lands, at this point it starts to grow like a normal plant until it is left with a semi humanoid being around the size of a dog. During this stage the dryad is completely like a normal plant for all purposes.

Once grown the dryad uproots itself in search for things more nutritious than dirt. typically small animals like rabbits. In this state the dryad is not sapient and is working off of instincts. the dryad is likely to be killed by large predators or its own stupidity.- this stage also works as low level enemies.

at around the age of 50 a dryad grows to be around the size of a human and experiences its first emotion or thought. At this point they look for the nearest humanoid settlement as there drive to socialize kicks in, in other words they get very lonely in the same way a solitary human does. As in there previous state dryads would eat anything that wasn't a dryad, this settlement is usually a dryad one.

The adolescent dryad spends the next 25 or so years trying to stay near the settlement which it has chosen. During this time it picks up the local language, and is usually put to mundane tasks and jobs by the locals. Often a older dryad may take in a younger one and raise it as an apprentice. During this state dryads typically grow to around 9 feet tall.

Finally the dryad has learned basic language skills(it takes a while) and has become an adult. At this point it is ready for it's first blooming. Every 5 years during the summer months the flowers on the dryads back bloom and it releases it's pollen, at the same time if it is near other dryads it is probbably being pollinated. This pollination is normaly done by small fairies and birds which try to feed off of the flowers. Once it is pollinated the seeds float off into the air(kind of like a dandelion) These seeds grow into new dryads. If a seed does happen to land in a city it is usualy squashed out as dryads don't have patient for there juveniles

The dryad from this point can life for as humans say "a long ass time". though at around the age of 1400 the dryad begins to suffer the ravages of old age, including dulling of the skin, no longer flowing, and typically becoming slower and weaker. No dryad has actually been seen to die of old age, however none live to long after this point as they usualy suffer an illness or accident. Your averadge dryad continues to grow till aorund 900 and grows to around 11 feet. (Height can vary between 9 and 13 feet depending on age, nutrition, and other factors)

Royals are a bit diffrent because they intentionally mate. When a royal wishes to mate it finds it's proper parter and they brush there flowers together. This has been called by humans "a hilarious parody of sex" Also this can be done as through self imoposed eugenics royals are constantly flowering. They are also much smaller typically one reaching around 6 foot 5. Some being as small as 4 foot 9. Because of there smaller size they have the ability to use human made weapons such as guns. Although it would not be that hard to create a gun that is able to be used in the large(clawed) hands of a non royal dryad, this practice is made illegal by dryad royals. However there are adult dryads that don't live in human lands(most were raised in dryad lands but emigrated) and have had such weapons custom made.

what do you think?

I am still not sure about the years and how long a dryad should be able to live. It has to be a lot longer than a human, there has to be a decent still functioning population (not old) that remembers a war from 300 years ago. But beyond that I am still not sure how long they should live. They are also going to be the longest living humanoid.

It may make more sense for the dryad to fruit instead of the seeds being airborn, but it seems like that would make them care more.

Also I am thinking about gender, not sure about whether they should have it. I guess it would be interesting if they were agender and one came across a human raised dryad that was raised with a gender. do flowers have gender? Still not sure.

Any ideas this inspires?
How do you think this would effect there society?
what would you assume based on there life cycle?
slightly diffrent question, but I can't decide what they look like, what kind of plant people look cool to you? Links would be cool!
Also noses and ears, I can't decide whether they should have these or not, or how they should look.
Same with eyes.