PDA

View Full Version : D20 Sci Fi books

Blackhawk748
2015-01-03, 06:43 PM
Im planning a Sci Fi game in the near future, its a semi realistic Space Opera game (yes i know those two things generally dont go together) and right now the only books i have are Blood and Space, D20 Future, and D20 Future Tech. The last two im pretty much just pilfering for equipment and feats as Blood and Space is giving me the starships and the rules for space combat. Oh and im pilfering a few things from Exodus too.

So does anyone know of any other good books to use?

Premier
2015-01-03, 07:11 PM
Depending on which part of the wider category of "D20" you like, Stars Without Number might be very useful to you. It's D20 in the sense that it's based on D&D's ruleset with 6 attributes, Hit Points and Armour Class, XP, etc. etc.. It's NOT D20 in the sense that it eschews 3.5th editions obsession with numerous prestige classes, feats and character building mentality - it's actually an Old School Revival game, taking the simplicity and robustness of old D&D and converting it to sci-fi. It's got lots of bits that could be salvaged even for other rulesets, such as the self-contained Factions system which lets you play out how various polities, corporations and the like exand and wage their rivalries in the background while the PCs adventure from session to session. Also comes with other DM tools designed specifically for sandbox games, such as a world generator. There's an almost complete free pdf version that only lacks two non-essential chapters, so you can easily check it out.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-03, 07:42 PM
Depending on which part of the wider category of "D20" you like, Stars Without Number might be very useful to you. It's D20 in the sense that it's based on D&D's ruleset with 6 attributes, Hit Points and Armour Class, XP, etc. etc.. It's NOT D20 in the sense that it eschews 3.5th editions obsession with numerous prestige classes, feats and character building mentality - it's actually an Old School Revival game, taking the simplicity and robustness of old D&D and converting it to sci-fi. It's got lots of bits that could be salvaged even for other rulesets, such as the self-contained Factions system which lets you play out how various polities, corporations and the like exand and wage their rivalries in the background while the PCs adventure from session to session. Also comes with other DM tools designed specifically for sandbox games, such as a world generator. There's an almost complete free pdf version that only lacks two non-essential chapters, so you can easily check it out.

Definitely gonna take a look at that, probably gonna pilfer most of the GMing stuff from it. Thanks.

Solaris
2015-01-03, 11:22 PM
In that vein, might I suggest the non-Force-using classes and general game framework (particularly the vitality points/wound points) from the d20 Star Wars RPG?

I liked the way they did rapid-shooting weapons (multifire and autofire giving you additional attacks with penalties to the attack rolls, while area fire lets you spray suppressive fire with a chance to tag something). That marries surprisingly well with d20 Modern's Burst Fire and Double Tap-type, by the way. If you eschew the Force parts of the game, it's a pretty good system for science fiction roleplaying.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-01-04, 03:48 AM
You could also look at Cyberscape. The themes probably aren't appropriate, but the tech might be.