PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Purrin' and Lookin' So Satisfied [Creature, MitP]

The Demented One
2007-03-31, 12:20 PM
Petisphinx
Size/Type: Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1d10+1 (6 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), fly 20 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +3 Dex), touch 13, flatfooted 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-8
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d2-1)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +6 melee (1d2-1) and Bite +1 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach: 2 ½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, rake 1d2-2
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +12, Listen +4, Move Silently +4, Spot +4
Feats: Weapon FinesseB, Alertness
Environment: Warm deserts
Organization: Solitary, pair, or litter (2-6)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually True Neutral
Advancement: 2-5 HD (Tiny), 6-8 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: +1 (cohort)

Petisphinxes are diminutive magical beasts originally bred from criosphinxes and gynosphinxes and altered by various transmutations to serve as familiars or housepets. They come in both genders. Many have since been released into the wild for various reasons, and many have been adapted by their greater kin, whose alignment they generally mimic. Petisphinxes are much like house cats in temperament, haughty and mischievious. Petisphinxes look much like sandy-coated house cats, but they sport a pair of eagle-like wings. They lack the humanoid faces of larger sphinxes save for their eyes, which resemble those of halflings. An arcane spellcaster of 3rd level and with the Improved Familiar feat may take a Petisphinx as a familiar.

Pounce (Ex)
If a Petisphinx charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Rake (Ex)
A Petisphinx that pounces onto a creature can make two rake attacks with its hind legs. Each has an attack bonus of +6 and deals 1d2-1 damage.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-03-31, 01:42 PM
I like it, especially as a familiar. The darkvision, flight and huge Hide bonus makes this a very effective scout for the nocturnal or underground adventuring party on the go, though it lacks the hawk's "Oh, it's just an animal" advantage if it does get caught.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-31, 02:31 PM
"**** you kitty you're going to spend the night, OUT-SIDE!"

Brilliant. Yes, add it.

Icewalker
2007-03-31, 08:04 PM
Heehee, very fun. Excellent idea, a kittysphinx. I dunno bout the +1 LA as cohort, but I don't usually use them too much, so I don't really know. Very fun idea. I like the rake with back legs, just a little winged cat leaping onto your leg and clawing and biting at you.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:43 PM
Bump. Keep voting, people!

Matthew
2007-05-18, 04:18 PM
Hmmn. Is this really worth CR 1? I would have thought CR 1/2?

DracoDei
2007-05-19, 12:09 AM
It is small (including its entry) and cute... it can stay...

Zherog
2007-05-21, 12:14 PM
Comments and such...

Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +3 Dex), touch 13, flatfooted 12

Size modifiers apply to touch AC, so that should be 15; the word "flat-footed" should be hyphenated.

Petisphinxes are diminutive magical beasts originally bred from criosphinxes and gynosphinxes and altered by various transmutations to serve as familiars or housepets.

Be careful of using game terms such as "diminutive" to describe your creatures. You didn't capitalize it, so you're not using the game term - but there's plenty of people who don't realize that's how you tell the difference. I'd grab a thesaurus and look up another word for diminutive, to avoid any confusion.

They come in both genders. Many have since been released into the wild for various reasons, and many have been adapted by their greater kin, whose alignment they generally mimic.

Are they "adapted" or "adopted" by the larger variety? It makes a bit of a difference. :)

Nice and simple little critter. Nice job.