PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me craft my character! Pathfinder!

metabolicjosh
2015-01-03, 10:36 PM
So, I am going to have to rebuild my character because he was OP. We are level seven, with 6 people. We have a person for every party role except battlefield control. My character is currently a human artificer, and I do not want to create a magical rebuild.

I want to be able to control the field with as many mundane items as possible.
Ive thought of things like smoke grenades, caltrops, marbles, flour. Maybe a magic item of minor image.
As a side note, I must take the feat true love.
Can I have some Ideas?

Rainshine
2015-01-03, 10:48 PM
A lot of the items in the books have terribly low DCs, unfortunately. Is an Alchemist too magical for you? Discoveries give you access to things like useful smoke bombs, tanglefoot bombs, etc. It also gives access to the Cloud line of bomb discoveries, which do a pretty good job of screening away opponents. That's the closest thing to mundane AoE BFC I can think of immediately, until you start getting into fun stuff like Warder class and AoO/Trip stuff. Plus, the Alchemist feels a bit like an artificer with all the items.

Extra Anchovies
2015-01-03, 11:27 PM
Artificer? Where do they exist in PF?

avr
2015-01-03, 11:47 PM
The underground chemist rogue archetype can quick draw alchemical items; a necessity if you're going to make good use of them.

The grenadier alchemist archetype can infuse such items into weapons or ammo. Either a bow or reach weapon would be best.

You could multiclass these easily.

Extra Anchovies
2015-01-03, 11:55 PM
The underground chemist rogue archetype can quick draw alchemical items

Not necessary, though. Improvised weapons are covered by Quick Draw. Flasks are improvised weapons :smalltongue:

avr
2015-01-04, 12:07 AM
Not necessary, though. Improvised weapons are covered by Quick Draw. Flasks are improvised weapons :smalltongue:
Nice thought, but Quick Draw specifically states it can't be used to draw alchemical items.

Fallenreality
2015-01-04, 12:14 AM
The Pathfinder Artificer is one of my few examples of poorly written 3rd party for the system, I also dislike the Warlock rework made by the same company.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer

I agree with the idea of a Grenadier Alchemist It's a really fun archetype to play.

You could also go ninja I guess. They have ninja tricks for smoke bombs and all that.

If you want to use good 3rd party, you could take the Martial Training feat from Path of War. If you use it to get some low level Solar Wind maneuvers there's a fun one where you can turn a thrown weapon into caltrops in midair.

Extra Anchovies
2015-01-04, 02:01 AM
The Pathfinder Artificer is one of my few examples of poorly written 3rd party for the system, I also dislike the Warlock rework made by the same company.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer

Ugh, ick. Their crude attempt at a warlock brings great shame to the heavy-metal-avatar that is a properly built 3.5 Warlock.

Snowbluff
2015-01-04, 02:04 AM
So, I am going to have to rebuild my character because he was OP. We are level seven, with 6 people. We have a person for every party role except battlefield control. My character is currently a human artificer, and I do not want to create a magical rebuild.

I want to be able to control the field with as many mundane items as possible.
Ive thought of things like smoke grenades, caltrops, marbles, flour. Maybe a magic item of minor image.
As a side note, I must take the feat true love.
Can I have some Ideas?
Okay, I may be bad for non-OP advice, but I will suggest doing some poisons. If you have a familiar (Eldritch Heritage, maybe), ask your DM if you can take its poison, which scales with your HD. You might want to buff its con first. Animal companions can have better Con, but may have fewer effective HD.

Fallenreality
2015-01-04, 04:42 PM
Okay, I may be bad for non-OP advice, but I will suggest doing some poisons. If you have a familiar (Eldritch Heritage, maybe), ask your DM if you can take its poison, which scales with your HD. You might want to buff its con first. Animal companions can have better Con, but may have fewer effective HD.

You can make a fairly solid poison focused Alchemist, they can eventually turn any poison into an inhaled poison which allows you to boost your poison DC to something actually usable at later levels.