PDA

View Full Version : Durkon, it's time to shine!

Weishaupt
2007-03-31, 01:13 PM
Good day folks. I just joined these forums after a long time of lurking because I just HAD to know your opinions on something.

Durkon! The great and noble dwarf, the very definition of stoic virtue... has not "shined" in quite some time. He had his little love affair, he prayed up a big wave... but we have yet to see him use his godly given powers in this battle!

I say, DURKON! DURKON is our prophet and we demand, in the name of Thor, to see him smite the wicked, the hedonistic and the orange!

Who's with me?!

Teh_Jakester
2007-03-31, 01:22 PM
I think he's going to die.
Why?
The oracle said he would, and he hasn't gotten alot of Comic Time in the Battle of Azure City yet. It would be a shame to kill him off so soon, though...

Weishaupt
2007-03-31, 01:28 PM
I think he's going to die.
Why?
The oracle said he would, and he hasn't gotten alot of Comic Time in the Battle of Azure City yet. It would be a shame to kill him off so soon, though...

Oh, I don't think it is his time yet. IF he was supposed to die, we would have seen a lot more of him... so his death could be the result of a small sacrifice-ending plotline.

Besides, I'm still hoping for a Snarl-related retcon a la Marvel. It's an alternative universe, I tell you!

Innis Cabal
2007-03-31, 01:32 PM
i dont know about him gettin croaked just yet....belkar? Maybe, but not Durkon, he is one of the original members, he will die at the very end saving Elan or Roy

1337_master
2007-03-31, 02:14 PM
I think Durkon MIGHT die, But I hate the Idea of it...

...And if he does, I'm going to have to put it in my Sig.

skinkatlarge
2007-03-31, 02:18 PM
Nah, he won't die yet. Or if he does, it'll be briefly.

Minor spoiler if you haven't read OtOotPCs: When he dies, there'll be some mechanism for sending his corpse to the dwarven lands - and something which leads to that bringing death and destruction to the dwarves. Even if Belkar could count as the fulfillment of the prophecy, I doubt the OOTS would be making the trip just to accompany a comrade's corpse unless the whole Xykon/Snarl thing was resolved - it's just not important enough to distract them from saving the world. There has to be some reason that Durkon's return is devastating, and that's nowhere near set up.

I suspect he'll be shining very brightly, very shortly. No pun intended.

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-31, 02:55 PM
I think he'll resurrect the zombie dragon as a silver dragon again when its defeated.

factotum
2007-03-31, 03:19 PM
I doubt the OOTS would be making the trip just to accompany a comrade's corpse unless the whole Xykon/Snarl thing was resolved - it's just not important enough to distract them from saving the world. There has to be some reason that Durkon's return is devastating, and that's nowhere near set up.

It occurs to me that Kraagor's Gate (which we know is the LAST gate Xykon will visit, assuming he unlives past the Gerard's Gate encounter) is probably somewhere in dwarven territory. It would make sense, then, for Durkon to die at Gerard's Gate, and for the OotS to return his corpse to his homeland--with a majorly teed-off Xykon snapping at their heels!

Innis Cabal
2007-03-31, 03:22 PM
that does actually make a great deal of sense Factotum, i really dont want him to go though, Belkar ok but Durkon? no thanks

Legendary
2007-04-01, 01:51 AM
I'll be with you as soon as you tell me who Durkon is, exactly... I've read all 433 strips and I don't remember encountering him, for some reason.

Is he another member of the OOTS? Wow. First this elf chick/dude joins (from NOWHERE) and kills the Ti Elementals, and now they get a dwarf.

Wait, they've been there the whole time? And yet, between the two of them, they've done 5 things worth remembering.

Join the campaign: There Are Six Members of the OOTS, So Use Them All Dammit!

Tharivol123
2007-04-01, 02:19 AM
Only five things worth remembering between the two of them?

I do agree Durkon hasn't done too much with the exception of healing and unleashing mass destruction during the incident in Cliff Port, but V has done more on his/her own than the rest of the party has. I'm not sure if even Belkar has caused as much destruction as V has.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-01, 02:44 AM
only five things? Your kidding right? Right?

Teh_Jakester
2007-04-01, 07:44 AM
Wait, they've been there the whole time? And yet, between the two of them, they've done 5 things worth remembering.

The strip mostly focuses on Elan, Roy, Belkar and Haley, so Durkon and V are left out.

vbushido
2007-04-01, 08:36 AM
-First time we see V cast a spell (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0005.html)
-Durkon using ThorPrayer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0007.html)
-V casting Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html)
-Durkon and Elan discuss Armor Check penalties (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html)
-Durkon calls Thor directly (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0040.html)
-V explains spell decks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html)
-V wins a mage's duel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0065.html)

okay, that exceeds 5 notable things right there and they hadn't left the dungeon yet...

-----
Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency

mockingbyrd7
2007-04-01, 10:58 AM
It occurs to me that Kraagor's Gate (which we know is the LAST gate Xykon will visit, assuming he unlives past the Gerard's Gate encounter) is probably somewhere in dwarven territory. It would make sense, then, for Durkon to die at Gerard's Gate, and for the OotS to return his corpse to his homeland--with a majorly teed-off Xykon snapping at their heels!

That's a very plausible theory; he could die at Girard's gate... I agree. Also, another grim thought: he could die any time, and Xykon animates his corpse as some legendary undead cleric of Thor and he goes home and wreaks destruction and death.

Oh, and btw... I agree! Let Durkon shine in this battle! He hasn't done anything except cast Greater Dispel Magic and Turn Undead. He should be blasting everything with mighty lightning-bolts!!

shaddy_24
2007-04-01, 01:08 PM
I bet he gets to kill that heuacuva. It's heading to the right section of wall and cleric vs undead cleric with spell casting abilities? Nice.

MReav
2007-04-01, 01:20 PM
Please, I want to see

What a Blade Barrier looks like in OotS

Legendary
2007-04-01, 01:46 PM
I was understating things a little. But, you guys get my point. Compared to the others, they're really very minor as characters.

Sean92k
2007-04-01, 01:49 PM
I think the giant should have a few strips about them or what they do in this battle.

Weishaupt
2007-04-01, 02:35 PM
I blame postmodernism. Or something. Anyway, it's seems that people want character flaws, violence and boobies. Therefore Roy with his Freudian problems, Elan with his stupidity, Belkar with his wanton behaviour and Haley with her wardrobe malfunctions, eh, I mean greed, are seen, but not the more or less perfect spellcasters.

Durkon is too beautiful for this world. :frown:

BobTheDog
2007-04-01, 02:47 PM
Are you all trying to imply that Durkon will cast Daylight (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsDtoE.html#daylight) on his armor during the battle?

(sorry, the joke was just TOO powerful for my fragile little mind)

Legendary
2007-04-01, 03:16 PM
Roy with his Freudian problems
Wait, Roy has an Oedipus Complex? When did THAT happen!?

:smalltongue:

Weishaupt
2007-04-01, 03:33 PM
Wait, Roy has an Oedipus Complex? When did THAT happen!?

:smalltongue:

Ja, und his dreams are filled with ze zymbols of ze phallos, ze "trouser titan".

Demented
2007-04-01, 03:44 PM
Elan with his stupidity, Belkar with his wanton behaviour

:elan: That's not a flaw! That's a feature!

Don't forget Durkon's fear of trees and Vaarsuvius' one-track interest in gaining more arcane knowledge. Not to mention Vaarsuvius' tendency to ramble, or Durkon's reliance on Thor.

The spellcasters are only seen as minor because they don't get as many speaking roles. Roy, Belkar and Elan do most of the talking. They also do the least flashy fighting.
Belkar stabs stuff. Repeatedly. His best moment was taunting Miko.
Roy slices stuff. Repeatedly. His best moment was... jumping on a dragon?
Elan impales stuff. Occasionally. His best moment was Haley.

Vaarsuvius nukes stuff. Occasionally, but we do indeed mean NUKE. Fireball, explosive runes, disintegrate. Roy may be riding a dragon, but Vaarsuvius has obliterated one.

Durkon is the token cleric. He fries stuff up with lightning and provides an invaluable (if underappreciated) service as support. Not to mention, he's the only one who ever pulls through when the chips are down, save against Xykon.

Arssanguinus
2007-04-01, 03:53 PM
Good day folks. I just joined these forums after a long time of lurking because I just HAD to know your opinions on something.

Durkon! The great and noble dwarf, the very definition of stoic virtue... has not "shined" in quite some time. He had his little love affair, he prayed up a big wave... but we have yet to see him use his godly given powers in this battle!

I say, DURKON! DURKON is our prophet and we demand, in the name of Thor, to see him smite the wicked, the hedonistic and the orange!

Who's with me?!

I do want to see Durkon open a big can of you-know-what

Tawkis
2007-04-01, 04:30 PM
Roy slices stuff. Repeatedly. His best moment was... jumping on a dragon?

I don't know, him handing Miko her pride on a platter was pretty solid. Maybe that's just me though, I actually think that Roy has advanced the most characterwise of the OOTS.

I'm sure Durkon will get his chance to shine though, it's just not his turn quite yet.

asland32
2007-04-01, 05:18 PM
Two words: Turn Undead.
As in touch as Durkon is with the great god Thor, I'm expecting little piles of bone dust everywhere when Durkon (or the Giant) remembers that he can do it.
But wait...Durkon's charisma is abyssmal, maybe he doesn't turn because of that? We will hav to wait and see. *sigh*

My patience have no patients.

Lizard Lord
2007-04-01, 05:48 PM
I don't know, him handing Miko her pride on a platter was pretty solid. Maybe that's just me though, I actually think that Roy has advanced the most characterwise of the OOTS.

I'm sure Durkon will get his chance to shine though, it's just not his turn quite yet.

I would say Elan and Haley have advanced more then Roy.

I am not even sure if the rest are meant to advance characterwise., I suppose Durkon has more story backround then V or Belkar, but still.

At Sean92's sig, it is impossible for me to waste my time. My time is worthless.

Lizard Lord
2007-04-01, 05:50 PM
Two words: Turn Undead.
As in touch as Durkon is with the great god Thor, I'm expecting little piles of bone dust everywhere when Durkon (or the Giant) remembers that he can do it.
But wait...Durkon's charisma is abyssmal, maybe he doesn't turn because of that? We will hav to wait and see. *sigh*

My patience have no patients.

Actually he has tried to turn undead before. Though I don't think he was successful.

Laesin
2007-04-01, 10:42 PM
That could have been because they weren't there to turn. He kept mishearing a conversation. See comic #16. (sorry I don't know how to do the links).

Demented
2007-04-01, 10:58 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html

Recloak's probably higher level than Durkon, to boot.

Lizard Lord
2007-04-01, 11:03 PM
That could have been because they weren't there to turn. He kept mishearing a conversation. See comic #16. (sorry I don't know how to do the links).

I am talking about when he tried turning the ogre zombies.

And recently he has tried turning the dragon zombie, though it is clear why that didn't work.

Weishaupt
2007-04-02, 12:59 PM
Two words, gentlemen: THOR'S MIGHT!

MinMax
2007-04-02, 07:54 PM
Ha. All this attention without mentioning Durkon was the first character to have sex in the story.

Pepz
2007-04-02, 08:09 PM
I think he'll resurrect the zombie dragon as a silver dragon again when its defeated.
haven't played dnd in a while, but would that even be possible? just wondering :)

But wait...Durkon's charisma is abyssmal,

you're forgetting that Durkon was the first one to have sex in the comic ;) so his charisma can't be at all that bad :D

and on-topic, I love durkon, but he seems quite silent lately ;) hope he doesn't die for now, and that he gets loads of screentime before he ever does :S

Weishaupt
2007-04-03, 03:45 AM
you're forgetting that Durkon was the first one to have sex in the comic ;) so his charisma can't be at all that bad :D

Perhaps dwarves have some kind of inverted charisma to other dwarves... "normally" unattractive things become attractive in the eyes of the dwarf ladies?

Weishaupt
2007-04-04, 12:44 PM
And recently he has tried turning the dragon zombie, though it is clear why that didn't work.

Yeah... he didn't want to show off. :smalltongue: