PDA

View Full Version : Doctor who [possible spoilers]

Pages : [1] 2 3

Soniku
2007-03-31, 01:46 PM
So, what did everyone think of the new episode?

Reminded me of the judge dread universe :smallsmile:

Jibar
2007-03-31, 02:22 PM
First thing I said when he executed that guy.

It's so nice to see the Doctor back, and on such great form.
The radiation scene was brilliant.

Also: that was the Stig!
The Stig was on Doctor Who!
At least...Evil Stig, from before they killed him.

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-31, 02:29 PM
I think I like this companion better than the last one. She really got on my nerves with her stupidity.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-31, 02:32 PM
It was okay. Anthropomorphs are annoying. Convergant evolution is a lame excuse for lazy monster design.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-31, 02:33 PM
Also: that was the Stig!
The Stig was on Doctor Who!
At least...Evil Stig, from before they killed him.

QFT.

i loved the beginning... i was thinking "WHAT? WHY? meh it'll be explained later"

Bryn
2007-03-31, 02:37 PM
*Comes back from show and confidential*

Good to see the Doctor back, and on good form too!

The monsters reminded me of the Umpani from Wizardry 8.

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-31, 02:40 PM
Some say he makes cameo appearances on british Sci-Fi shows to pass the time. Some say he fights radioactive vampires in his spare time. All we know, is he's called The Stig.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-31, 02:41 PM
Some say he makes cameo appearances on british Sci-Fi shows to pass the time. Some say he fights radioactive vampires in his spare time. All we know, is he's called The Stig.

LOL. glad he got his screwdriver back... it's a brilliant plot device... i mean invention

Soniku
2007-03-31, 03:00 PM
Ah, yes, the new assistant. Finally!

I didn't hate Rose, but she could be a bit annoying with her master of missing the obvious and thinking of anything other than chips.

First time I saw the new assistant I thought "Oh no, token ethnic minority character" because so many shows are doing that now, but she turns out to be pretty awesome :smallsmile:

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-31, 03:07 PM
I must admit, thats the first thing I thought.

Totally Guy
2007-03-31, 03:08 PM
What other show puts a hospital on the moon for a few hours and then puts it back on Earth?

I liked it.

I hope The Doctor stops "god modding" this series as it seemed that David Tenant's Doctor tends to win better victories than Eccleston's. He threw the old Screwdriver away, I thought he'd made the last one but it seemed to be implied that he had maybe just gone to the shops and bought another.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-31, 03:09 PM
also this one seems to be intelegent.
but i'm disapointed she didn't ask HOW the TARDIS is bigger in the inside

He threw the old Screwdriver away, I thought he'd made the last one but it seemed to be implied that he had maybe just gone to the shops and bought another.
well you don't know how long it was between him leaving and him picking her up. he can exist outside of space-time taking a few months off to rebuild his SS is like a break between adventures

Captain van der Decken
2007-03-31, 03:11 PM
Those rhinos (what did they call 'em?) were, I think, some of the best aliens I've seen on Dr Who. Well, excluding the Daleks. The armour looked really.. cool.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-31, 03:14 PM
the helmet was pretty cool. though i think it'd be uncomfortable for the poor bastard in the suit

Maroon
2007-03-31, 03:41 PM
Gee, rhinos really DO make better anthropomorphic aliens than cats! Who'd have thought.

It's a bummer we only get, like, 10 episodes a year. I hope they do another spin-off series like Torchwood again.

Calamity
2007-03-31, 03:46 PM
Something tells me that they will do another Torchwood series. (Yay!) Just a feeling.

And today's episode was great. Judoons, Slabs and Plasma Vores on the MOON!? Awesome

Captain van der Decken
2007-03-31, 03:48 PM
@^^^The suit looks fairly heavy, for one.

Ugh, not too like Torchwood, though.

"She killed you!"
"Yeah, but I'm okay."
"How?!"
".. Because."

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-01, 08:23 AM
Did anyone else see the various Dead Ringers sketches about Torchwood? Comedy gold.

Calamity
2007-04-01, 08:25 AM
Oh, you mean Toichwood? :smalltongue:

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-01, 08:27 AM
Or the Driftwood sketch, with the old people. That one was hilarious.

Calamity
2007-04-01, 08:30 AM
Won't you need to give me an amnesia pill?

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-01, 08:32 AM
Don't be silly deary, you're 80 years old. By the time you get back to the home, you won't remember any of this anyway.

Calamity
2007-04-01, 08:35 AM
Moving back on topic (:smalltongue:) the trailer for next episode kinda confused me, especially when Shakespeare was talking modern English.

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-01, 08:37 AM
I liked the episode.
What was the compensation tose hippo aliens gave the assistant for the full scan.

Oh yes did you see the Vote Mr. Saxon poster, at the end.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-01, 08:37 AM
It looks to be muy awesome. If done properly.

OFF TOPIC: Up until now I thought I was the only person in the world who watched Dead Ringers. No-one I know has even heard of it. They miss so much...

Calamity
2007-04-01, 08:38 AM
@Demonking: Hmm good question, but I think Martha threw it away so it was probably useless (or not, maybe it's a clue to the last 2 episodes of the series, like they did with the last 2 series! Bad Wolf and Torchwood and all that.)

@Were-Sandwich: No, no, as Dead Ringers often points out, no-one watches Channel 5! :smallwink:

Anyway, it's typical that they're going into the past now, I prefer the ones in the present and the ones in the future. Dunno why though.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-01, 08:47 AM
It'd be nice if they could get a bit more space-faring in this series. I don't know why they feel the need to spend so much time in london or cardiff. It not like the older series where they had the budget of a small haird-dressers in Milton Keynes.

Who
2007-04-01, 08:50 AM
Huzzah for the new series!
In the third episode the Face of Boe is going to reveal his secret to the Doctor and I think I know what it is
[spoiler]You are not the last of the Timelords[spoiler]

Nerzi
2007-04-01, 08:51 AM
Doctor Who is awesome, that is all.

Anyway, it's typical that they're going into the past now, I prefer the ones in the present and the ones in the future. Dunno why though.
Excluding the 'Are you my mummy?' episodes I'm gunna have to agree I think.

New assistant seems very cool too, which is good. Nice to see they've gone for a character different from Rose, but not really obviously completely the opposite or anything.

Calamity
2007-04-01, 08:55 AM
Hehe, they wiggled out of the fact that they killed her off in Canary Wharf in the last episodes of Series 2 by saying that it was her cousin.

Archonic Energy
2007-04-01, 12:57 PM
Hehe, they wiggled out of the fact that they killed her off in Canary Wharf in the last episodes of Series 2 by saying that it was her cousin.

the should have been twins...

Dr: "erm the's something i need to tell you about your sis"
Jones: "what?"
Dr: " i killed her."
Jones: "WHAT?"
Dr: "it's OK she was a baddie"
Jones: "fair enough then, lets go back to dallas, stand on the grassy knoll & shout 'DUCK'"
Dr: "OK"

RMS Oceanic
2007-04-01, 01:12 PM
OFF TOPIC: Up until now I thought I was the only person in the world who watched Dead Ringers. No-one I know has even heard of it. They miss so much...

That makes two of us!

My fellow invertibrates. This week a major incident took place at sea. During which, Colin Powell captured my battleship! Oh yeah, and we also raidified that stupid North Korean boat as well.

As a ree-sult, the North Korean leader, Kim John, announcified that they would be resumerating their nuklar program. A program I condem, as it threatens to desalinate the region. Also because it's a program that hasn't once featured the Fonz!

But be warned, King Kong! Like others before you, should you threaten New York by climbing the Empire State Building, then my fleet of Biplanes will have no choice but to oblitefry you from the face of the earth!

God bless pancakes.

IMO, the episode was very good, and I think Martha's family politics will make good comic relief, if used sparingly. As companion-meets-the-Doctor-for-the-first-time episodes go, however, I still prefer Rose (Billie Piper meets Christopher Eccleston), although that may be because the audience was introduced to the Doctor as well. She's shaping up to be a good companion, however, so don't think I'm dissing her.

Soniku
2007-04-01, 01:30 PM
when Shakespeare was talking modern English

Obviously :smalltongue: the tardis translates languages and so old English which is nigh impossible for the casual observer to understand would be translated to modern. At least thats what I guessed.

Calamity
2007-04-01, 02:19 PM
Obviously :smalltongue: the tardis translates languages and so old English which is nigh impossible for the casual observer to understand would be translated to modern. At least thats what I guessed.

You know, that makes sense and would so fit the "Doctor Who" way of explaining things.

Eldpollard
2007-04-01, 02:36 PM
You know, that makes sense and would so fit the "Doctor Who" way of explaining things.

The explanation of "it's science"?

Avaris
2007-04-01, 02:37 PM

In fact that is the 'official' explanation - remember in the Christmas Invasion when the Sycha-thingies were suddenly speaking English because the doctor was awake.

I knew I hadn't got the idea that it is important from nowhere! Only problem is WHY is it important...
Anyone think it is connected to the villain from the last episode of Torchwood (Bilas or something)

Kosmopolite
2007-04-01, 02:43 PM

It was fully explained in S01E02: End of the World. The TARDIS 'gets inside your head' and translates things for you.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-01, 02:58 PM
I liked the episode.
What was the compensation tose hippo aliens gave the assistant for the full scan.

Oh God I've been soo paranoid about that thing, and I really do think that it is a clue to the finale of the Season. I felt all proud last time because I guessed the Torchwood thing...

But here's my theory:

There has been a lot of buzz about The Master being in this series at some point (being played by John Simm). Now if he's as big a cheese as people have made out then he'll surely be the finale. Now I'm wondering if this Saxon person is a pseudonym for The Master, and there will be references to a Saxon person throughout the time periods, as he travels through time gathering power and influence alongside the Doctor's travels.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-01, 03:20 PM
The explanation of "it's science"?

As in "a scientist did it"?

"Why are there demons invading?"

"A scientist did it"

CaptainSam
2007-04-01, 04:21 PM
The compensation will almost certainly make a reappearance later on. If they're really sneaky, it won't be until the next series when everyone's forgotten about it.

The Judoon were brill! I loved the fact that they all wore New Rocks. Goth psycho space-rhinos! Anyway, it's not lazy monster creation, did you see the amount of work that went into those suits? Better than bubble wrap sprayed green: Wirrn Larva (http://shillpages.com/dw/story/d4/st--4c53.jpg)

anphorus
2007-04-02, 11:09 AM
I thought that Dead Ringers was a very popular show, if how often it's mentioned on programs like Richard & Judy is any indication. Fantastic stuff, although I missed most of this last series for some reason.

In fact that is the 'official' explanation - remember in the Christmas Invasion when the Sycha-thingies were suddenly speaking English because the doctor was awake.

I knew I hadn't got the idea that it is important from nowhere! Only problem is WHY is it important...
Anyone think it is connected to the villain from the last episode of Torchwood (Bilas or something)

Yeah the TARDIS translates for you. I imagine that its translation system is quite complex, giving you approximations of accents and stuff too. That explains why Madame du Pompadour had a very proper posh-ish accent while, say, those aliens who picked up the Doctor as a hitchhiker in the previews might have an Irish Father Dougal-ish accent. Certainly 1500's English would be incomprehensible to us. And who’s to say that those future societies the Doctor has visited would even speak English, let alone a form of it we'd understand.

Anyway, the translation does seem to work differently for Time Lords too, the Doctor as able to tell both what language and what period of language that Madame du Pompadour was speaking.

ANYWAY, loved the first episode of season 3, especially liked the radiation bit, fantastic stuff. Also gave us some insight into the Doctor's past, although saying that he was at a nursery doesn't really tell us much. Not as much as him saying "I was a Dad once" back in season 2.

As to the Mr Saxon thing; Back in The Runaway Bride, the Tanks which blew up the Raknoss's spaceship got "Permission from Mr Saxon" to fire. And the doctor who worked with the Judoon was interviewed on the radio and said something along the lines of "Mr Saxon was right there is other life out there."

My opinion on Saxon? Back in the first episode of Torchwood, Jack explained that Torchwood 1 (London) was destroyed. All that remained was Torchwood 3 (Wales) where the series took place And Torchwood 2 (Scotland) that was maintained by one man who Jack though was a bit crazy. I think that Mr Saxon is that guy from Torchwood 2. He seems to be running for Prime Minister or something, perhaps using his insider knowledge to rally the country against all this weird alien stuff, or something. I'm going to need more info I think.

Calamity
2007-04-02, 03:11 PM

Yes, i know that, i jsut thought it wouldn't need to translate because techinally, it is still English. It is alos mention in 'The Impossible Planet' because it doesn't translate the wrting. :smalltongue:

Also, it's strange how it didn't translate the Welsh writing in the episode with the last Slovene on Earth. You know, where it said Bad Wolf in Welsh?

Eldpollard
2007-04-02, 04:38 PM
But we already knew he was a Dad at some point. His first assistant was his granddaughter.

Kosmopolite
2007-04-02, 05:01 PM
Yeah, but it's been pretty much ignored since his background was expanded upon - most specifically about the Time Lords, and the fact that they've been sterile for generations.

ray53208
2007-04-04, 07:35 AM
i, for one, think its about time to break out the sonic chainsaw.

Kosmopolite
2007-04-04, 09:48 AM
"Who has a sonic screwdriver?"
"I do! You never been bored one night - needed to put up a lot of shelves?!"

Wolfman42666
2007-04-04, 10:09 AM
can't wait to see what episode he'll pick up jack in :)

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-04-05, 12:45 PM
Yes, i know that, i jsut thought it wouldn't need to translate because techinally, it is still English. It is alos mention in 'The Impossible Planet' because it doesn't translate the wrting. :smalltongue:

Also, it's strange how it didn't translate the Welsh writing in the episode with the last Slovene on Earth. You know, where it said Bad Wolf in Welsh?

Ya it's not the most consistant show, it's my guilty pleasure show.

I do have to point out things can and do orbit black holes, in fact we are right now. Our solar system (and the trillions of others in the milky way) all orbit a black hole at the galaxies center.

I know it doesn't really matter.

Soniku
2007-04-07, 01:47 PM
Now that one was cool. I think Shakespeare is now my number one favorite funny episode :smallbiggrin:

Although, I have to say, from the trailer it looks like next time will be even better.

"Into the breach, my friends!"

"Wait a minute, that's mine!"

Aidan305
2007-04-07, 01:58 PM
That was indeed a brilliant episode. I should have guessed Martha Jones was the Dark Lady though.

As for the ending, why am I not suprised? After all, look at what happened when he met Victoria.

Matthew
2007-04-07, 02:03 PM
A reasonably good episode, the ending was the best part. I generally prefer non earth based or futuristic episodes, but that is just my preference.

Wolfman42666
2007-04-07, 02:12 PM
didn't catch why shakespeare wasn't affected by pyschic paper.
liked dna replicator, there putting a bit of emphassie on his two heart thing
+ they appear to be playing to the crowd gudging by the trailer for the next one

Matthew
2007-04-07, 02:15 PM
Just because he's a genius, apparently. Basically, he passed his Save.

Jibar
2007-04-07, 02:25 PM
It's Shakespeare man.
He defeated aliens, with J.K. Rowlings work.
That makes anyone a God.

Hey, to those who suspected Mr. Saxon, I didn't see any of that this episode.
Did the others all show up somewhere in each episode, or did they miss episodes?

Dihan
2007-04-07, 02:35 PM
Expeliarmus really did expel those Carrionites...

Also, "Mister Saxon" is an anagaram of "Master No. Six"

Calamity
2007-04-07, 03:52 PM
Expeliarmus really did expel those Carrionites...

Also, "Mister Saxon" is an anagaram of "Master No. Six"

Hehe, "good old J.K"

That's very interesting. I wonder if that's a clue about Queen Liz I being so hostile.

Also, that Shakespeare really is smart isn't he?

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-08, 03:07 PM
A generally good episode, I liked the Shakespear lines, though i disliked the. "I told thee so. I told thee so." because it didn't make sense.

In the last series, Torchwood was missed out in. "The lady in the fireplace.", or something like that. because the writer wasn't told to put torchwood in.

The anagram doesnn't make sense in character as the master has had more than 12 ressurections.

Kosmopolite
2007-04-08, 03:52 PM
Torchwood wasn't included in the historical episodes because it hadn't happened yet - it would be anachronistic to have it in Renaissance France, just as it would have been to have this years' words in C16th London.

Why wouldn't "told thee so" make sense?

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-08, 04:17 PM
The Bad Wolf thing wasn't present in every episode either, even though that did work through all time-periods.

I liked the whole witch thing in this episode, it was pretty well done, I thought it would have been a little bit silly, but it worked okay. They've done zombies, werewolves, witches...fingers-crossed for some vampires next season...
I think that perhaps we will see what he did to annoy Queen Elizabeth in this season much later on though. I think it would be cool anyway.

I'm really looking forward to "Gridlock" next week though, and I didn't think that I would...Face of Boe secret unveiling is what does it for me to be honest...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-08, 04:57 PM
They've done zombies, werewolves, witches...fingers-crossed for some vampires next season...

They've already done vampires twice before on two completely unrelated occassions.

Matthew
2007-04-08, 06:49 PM
The Sylvester McCoy Vampires out of the Ocean thing (The Curse of Fenric (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curse_of_Fenric)) scared the crap out of me as a child...

Kosmopolite
2007-04-08, 07:17 PM
Yeah, but not in the new series.

I think they will, mainly because RTD wrote a Virgin New Adventures sequel to State of Decay. Either way, BB, you're not the only one hoping for vampires. :D

EDIT: Yeah, the Haemavores were awesome. Classic Gothic Who, although I'm not a huge fan of Sly McCoy.

Dihan
2007-04-08, 07:42 PM
The anagram doesnn't make sense in character as the master has had more than 12 ressurections.

Yes, though it would be the 6th different actor to play as him.

Kosmopolite
2007-04-08, 08:15 PM
Responding to Doihaveaname?:

Nope, this'd be the 7th according to Wiki, though in the Deadly Assassin he's just a voice, and I think one or two of the others have a dubious claim. It's all about how it's counted. Though I think we should take this to [ spoliers ] for those who don't even want to see theories.

Dihan
2007-04-09, 04:30 AM
Responding to Doihaveaname?:

Nope, this'd be the 7th according to Wiki, though in the Deadly Assassin he's just a voice, and I think one or two of the others have a dubious claim. It's all about how it's counted. Though I think we should take this to [ spoliers ] for those who don't even want to see theories.

One of them was just the Master's conciousness inside another beings body, so technicaly he isn't the Master.

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-09, 05:34 AM
The I told thee so, doesn't make sense because the other thees were translated.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-09, 05:35 AM
One of them was just the Master's conciousness inside another beings body, so technicaly he isn't the Master.

Uhm. If you use that logic then only the original The Master and his rotting corpse form are the real The Master.

"The Curse of Fenric" is the serial where the Russian soldier uses his medal to protect himself from the vampires isn't it? Also there's the computer with the goo in it and the vampires with crustaceans growing on them emerging from the water and some kind of ancient demon the doctor plays chess with. There's also a British guy with a replica of Hitler's office.

Odd how I seem to remember so much without having any idea of what the plot was.

Sylvester McCoy had too many supernatural enemies. That time traveling witch and the demon who was weak to silver didn't ever get explained. The King Arthur serial was pretty lame too.

Totally Guy
2007-04-09, 06:09 AM
The Master has confused me in the past. Back when Richard E Grant was the 9th doctor (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shalka/) (that confused me too, they advertised it as such), anyway that cartoon was the first time I saw the Master so I always think of him as... ...in that webcast I linked (Spoiler averted).

I went around for ages thinking Eccleson would be the tenth and it would actually start with Richard E Grant back when they revived the programme.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-09, 07:05 AM
I think Dr. Who would be better if they went back to the Six-episode serial format of the older episodes. Whilst I like the new episodes, they seem a tad disjointed and rushed.

But I suppose the 'youth of today' don't have the attention span or intelligence to keep track of something that happened 7 days ago. Gosh, how do we manage to get dressed in the morning. (I'm not joking, I remember reading somewher they decided to switch to non-serialised episodes because modern kids 'don't have the attention span' or sometihng)

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-09, 07:08 AM
Personally I'd want all eppisodes in a series to be linked, yet to be watched without watching the others.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-09, 07:27 AM
I think Dr. Who would be better if they went back to the Six-episode serial format of the older episodes. Whilst I like the new episodes, they seem a tad disjointed and rushed.

But I suppose the 'youth of today' don't have the attention span or intelligence to keep track of something that happened 7 days ago. Gosh, how do we manage to get dressed in the morning. (I'm not joking, I remember reading somewher they decided to switch to non-serialised episodes because modern kids 'don't have the attention span' or sometihng)

Yeah. My father complains about this a lot. The last two episodes of the second series would have worked better as a longer serial. The deus ex machina was too quick and there wasn't enough time for earth to try and resist the Cybermen before the Daleks appeared.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-09, 07:35 AM
If you watch some of the older serialised episodes or even the freakin webcasts, they have less deus ex machina-ey endings purely because they aren't forced to fit it into 45 minutes, and can have some proper plot development and false starts etc.

Also, I hope UNIT returns in earnest this series. Obviously, they'd need new actors for the brigadeer and co.

"Just for once I'd like to fight sometihng that wasn't bulletproof". The brigadeer is made of win.

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-09, 07:46 AM
Is it true that they can't say UNIT's full name.

anphorus
2007-04-09, 09:56 AM
Is it true that they can't say UNIT's full name.

Yeah, the UN apparently doesn't like being associated with the organisation anymore. They can still call it UNIT and the UN Intelligence Taskforce. But they can't use the words United Nations.

Shakespeare code was one of my favourite episodes of any television series, fantastic stuff. Mentioning Back to the Future always gets extra points from me, though. Mention of the Eternals, hurrah.

I liked when the Doctor was talking to one of the peasants and his turn of phrase totally changes. That and David Tennant using his real accent in Tooth and Claw were subtly, but effective at reminding me of the Doctors "alienness" his accent and the way he talks is a constant acting job. It must be hell for the Doctor trying to remember what analogies and references work for people he meets.

I'm guessing that psychic paper just doesn't work on the very intelligent or strong minded. Like a Jedi Mind trick. I doubt its work on another Time Lord for instance.

My opinion on the serials of the past vs. the present series is somewhat limited. I'm part of that one generation which grew up entirely without Doctor Who on TV. I really should get some of the DVDs of past episodes when I have the money.

Can't wait to see Sam Tyler John Simm as The Master. Face of Boe's secret is next episode, hurray.

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-09, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I can't wait to find out the secret.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-09, 11:31 AM
John Simm as the master? I don't think it'll work. I don't know if he can pull off the Ming the Merciless/Svengali thing properly.

anphorus
2007-04-09, 12:02 PM
I didn't know if David Tennant could play the Doctor at first, but I was quickly converted. I'm willing to give him a chance, and I love his work in Life on Mars.

Adlan
2007-04-10, 05:49 AM
The Show is much better now rose is gone, though I'd have preferred her to have a had a gory death, she just bugged me.

Shakesperian English, in the London Area at least, would be intelligable to most modern english speakers, some words and slang are different, but it's not that hard to understand his plays is it? Heck, Chaucer is understandable if you read it out loud. It's only when you leave the south east and hit areas with different dialects that it gets really tough. but as has been said, Tardis magic fixes it.

R.O.A.
2007-04-12, 07:05 AM
Both episode of the new series were great :smallsmile:
Sorry to go back an episode, but this bugged me: How can Martha get his heart working by CPR when the alien had sucked out all his blood? What was his heart pumping?
(and wasn't the bloodsucking thing enough of a vampire character for you? :smalltongue: )

Castaras
2007-04-12, 07:29 AM
Has anyone here seen this? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6544729.stm)

"Doctor Who threatened by football." :smallmad:

anphorus
2007-04-12, 08:03 AM
Both episode of the new series were great :smallsmile:
Sorry to go back an episode, but this bugged me: How can Martha get his heart working by CPR when the alien had sucked out all his blood? What was his heart pumping?
(and wasn't the bloodsucking thing enough of a vampire character for you? :smalltongue: )

I can only assume that not all of his blood was drained, and that the plasmavore had, I dunno, some kind of enzyme that stopped the heart beating? Who knows.

But the true answer is of course he's a TIME LORD, he has raw Plotonium running thrugh his veins!

Has anyone here seen this? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6544729.stm)

"Doctor Who threatened by football." :smallmad:

Anyone know where I can go to complain about this? I wouldn't mind as I normally can't watch it on suday, but by the sounds of things they aren't even going to show it on BBC3 on sunday.

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-13, 04:01 AM
How can they threaten to shelve it rather than just showing it ten minutes or something later.

Kosmopolite
2007-04-13, 08:12 AM
Or shelve the football. :D

Castaras
2007-04-13, 11:47 AM
Or shelve the football. :D

Much better idea. Doctor Who >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Football. Mostly because Doctor Who actually has something interesting to watch. :smalltongue:

Kosmopolite
2007-04-13, 11:55 AM
Seconded. I think we should start a petition!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-13, 04:37 PM
Tonight's "The Now Show" had a song about the possibility of Doctor Who being ousted by the Football. Listen again at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml#n, it was about 7 minutes in.

onasuma
2007-04-14, 03:12 PM
So... new episode. I really didn't like it, but thats just me.
face of bos secret (in my opinion) means:
The master is still left to come back. In confidential they said the doctors right and so is the face of bo, and the master fits
what do the rest of you think.
Edit: Also found another doctor, Rowan Atkinson in the 1999 comic relief.
and i found the whole episode on youtube
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N36_6n6BfFY
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zFtBuFNiw&mode=user&search=

Kosmopolite
2007-04-14, 03:49 PM
There were about ten Doctors in that particular episode.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-14, 04:24 PM
I thought that this episode would just bore me, as the future episodes do sometimes...

But IMHO it was one of the best episodes since the Doctor Who revival began. Interesting exposition, the Doctor talking about Gallifrey(?) for once, and confirmation of all the Master blurb. But best of all I felt that this was an imaginative episode, full of original touches and genuine emotion. It could have easily been cliched and lame, but I thought that it worked fantastically.

Looking forward to next week, but how it's going to live up to my new Who height I don't know...

onasuma
2007-04-15, 02:44 AM
There were about ten Doctors in that particular episode.

I didn't want to ruin the end

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-15, 10:00 AM
I liked the episode but did anyone not think of what face of boe said most people got it word perfect.

onasuma
2007-04-15, 12:54 PM
Ive been such a fool. Its obviously about female sheep.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-15, 01:23 PM
I think the episode was...alright, I suppose. The idea was novel, but it lacked the time to develop that is lacking in 45 minute episodes. I was disappointed with the monsters. I was expecting something more Big Evil Wurm/Cthulhu/Dragon like. I became all full of anticipaction as they slowly zoomed down (I thought the claws looked like Slivers). Then you saw the rest and I was severely dissapointed.

I think my dad hit it on the head "The whole thing was just to draw the message-giving out over 45 minutes".

I liked the Irish cat though.

Glaivemaster
2007-04-15, 01:36 PM
Hmm, the third episode had a lot of potential to be good, but unfortunately it was written by Russell T. Davies. He seems to have no imagination other than over the top

Not sure how much to spoiler this sort of stuff, so I'll be on the safe side

The entire population of New Earth died. Chilling. I liked it. Wait, seven seconds? What? That seemed a little stupid. Too quick for my tastes

The secret of the Face of Bo: A very ambiguous message, that could mean any number of things. Once again, however, this will be spoiled by Russell T. Davies, who will use its most obvious meaning (there are other Timelords) as opposed to any of the other, nicer ones (such as the on Martha came up with)

In conclusion, grr, Russell T. Davies

Matthew
2007-04-15, 03:17 PM
I thought it was a reasonable offering, no worse than the episodes preceding it in this series. I liked that the Doctor was revisiting New New York, I enjoy the revisiting process. I did find it somewhat unbelievable, but I felt the same about the first episode, at the edge of disbelief.

Castaras
2007-04-16, 03:29 AM
The extra time lord could be Romana, who's currently in E-space, could be the master. I have a feeling that they'll either go down the romantic route with Romana again. But I'm not sure. It was okay, but it wasn't that realistic, unlike other episodes.

An okay episode. Still prefer the fourth doctor and his stories though. All these new episodes haven't had enough time to develop. That's their problem.

Who
2007-04-16, 06:16 AM
I thought it was a great episode and I was right about the face of Boes secret

Eldpollard
2007-04-16, 09:00 AM
I think the episode was...alright, I suppose. The idea was novel, but it lacked the time to develop that is lacking in 45 minute episodes. I was disappointed with the monsters. I was expecting something more Big Evil Wurm/Cthulhu/Dragon like. I became all full of anticipaction as they slowly zoomed down (I thought the claws looked like Slivers). Then you saw the rest and I was severely dissapointed..

Better than when they originally turned up like 40 years back, when they were basically plastic lobsters held close to the camera. When who was simpler.

Doglord
2007-04-16, 09:19 AM
How dare someone, stealing his laser spanner!

Archonic Energy
2007-04-16, 09:33 AM
I thought it was a great episode and I was right about the face of Boes secret
who wasn't!

as for the preview of next episode... looks fun

oh and the futurama geek in me wants to say "yay" about New New York... again

Kosmopolite
2007-04-16, 09:57 AM
And a captain called "Branigan"?

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-16, 11:07 AM
Did it mention whether or not the children were sterile?

anphorus
2007-04-16, 02:57 PM
I liked the episode but did anyone not think of what face of boe said most people got it word perfect.

Back before the first episode of the New Who, there was a picture made that had the Doctor walking away from a statue on Gallifrey commemorating the time war. The Face of Boe's message was written on it. Plus, we were already told how many words it was, not too hard.

Did it mention whether or not the children were sterile?

Why should they be? The Doctor mentioned way back in the first trip to the year 5 billion that humans had spread out across the galaxy and interbred with a slew of different species and Cassandra was the last "pure" human, so it stands to reason that some hybrids would be viable. Plus, due to the majority of alien races (including mankind) evolving into humanoids (in imitation of the Time Lords) it seems likely that they probably have the same number of chromosomes. And I'm sure that they have the technology to compensate, even if they aren't.

I'm throwing my vote in for the Master. We already know that John Simm is playing Mr. Saxon, which is an anagram of "Master No. Six." John Simm's incarnation will be the 6th Master to appear on television. Plus the Face of Boe said that the Doctor is the Last of the Time Lords, and that he is not alone. Technically while the Master was a Time Lord he isn't anymore, in a biological sense.

As to Gridlock, good episode. Not fantastic, but it still had a lot of things I liked. Russell T. Davies should defiantly stick to writing beginnings and endings though.

Totally Guy
2007-04-16, 03:50 PM
Yes to beginnings and endings. They are good. Althought the millions of Daleks that get killed in those episodes is silly. I mean all it takes to knock out the Doctor is maybe 1 zap from a Dalek gun, then a couple more to finish him off and yet not one dalek did it. However apart from the forced epic bit I like the endings.

Is there any word, phrase or object following them around this time? Like Bad Wolf.

Aidan305
2007-04-21, 01:23 PM
Oh dear...

That can't be good.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-21, 01:29 PM
I'm getting tired of Anthropomorphic animal of the week syndrome.

Jibar
2007-04-21, 01:35 PM
The Daleks however lived up to expectations.

I am both very pleased and very disappointed Sec will die in the next episode.
Pleased: My God that was stupid. Making humanoid Daleks is not clever, nor funny.
Disappointed: I would have liked a Dalek recurring villain.
Oh, how do I know he'll die? Look at him. It's impossible to have a two part episode, introduce something like that, and not kill it off.

Speaking of Daleks, this (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37909610/?q=Dalek+Heartless&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5) just screams fan-fiction.

onasuma
2007-04-21, 02:18 PM
I completly agree with jibars spoilered section. My main opinion on the Man-lek (thats my areas word for it. Use it and be cool) is if there are a load of humans with guns and a darlek with no armour cant be good.

Pig wise, if people hadn't all said "Arrrrrrrrr Its so cute at the last one, this really wouldnt be a problem, and they would have had cyclopes or something

Archonic Energy
2007-04-21, 02:34 PM
he he he 1BDI
The Doctor throws a base ball at the Man-lek
I HAVE NO DEPTH PER-CEPT-ION... WHY IS THAT CIR-CLE GET-TING BIG-GER?

on a slightly more serious note

ok so the daleks now have an agenda other than wiping out all non-dalek this could be both good & bad...Personally i would have thought it'd look more like this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/88/Davros.jpg/200px-Davros.jpg not http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/08/Human_dalek.jpg/250px-Human_dalek.jpg

oh and J regarding your last link... you are just sick... that Dalek wants to kill its self!

Dib
2007-04-22, 05:06 AM
Speaking of Daleks, this (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37909610/?q=Dalek+Heartless&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5) just screams fan-fiction.

I can't believe it... I think I've just been inspired to draw an emo dalek :smalleek:

anyway... I don't like the human-dalek (man-lek?)... I was hoping they'd just make a baby dalek thingy which they'd put into a dalek body armour thingy (whatever the armor's called)... I'll miss the Daleks... and loathe the human-daleks...

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-22, 06:11 AM
The whol human-dalek thing sucks. The armour is what made the Daleks who they are, without that, they're nothing.

Dib
2007-04-22, 07:04 AM
yeah, hopefully something will go wrong with the human-dalek and they'll have to put it in some armour...

(Why did they have to send all the Daleks (and cybermen) to hell?)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-22, 07:13 AM
yeah, hopefully something will go wrong with the human-dalek and they'll have to put it in some armour...

(Why did they have to send all the Daleks (and cybermen) to hell?)

Because it was a crap deus ex machina ending?

Dragor
2007-04-22, 07:25 AM
This new series has been a bit too disappointing for me. I was originally excited about it, but now.... well, it seems to be leaning much more to the child audience now. Pig-men? Please- they weren't scary, just comical. The Daleks make their obvious return- and a Man-Dalek? I'm sorry, but that was just corny. Like Were-Sandwich above said- without the armour, they're nothing. That's absolutely true- it's basically that with gives the Dalek's their cool factor.

I hope this series improves- because I'm starting to want Christopher Eccleston back.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-22, 07:53 AM
It also makes no logical sense for them to abandon the armour. If the purpose of the experiment was to evolve to kill better, why give up your uber-power-armour-killing-machine for an extremely frail and vulnerable fleshy sac of crap?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-22, 08:00 AM
The whole point of the Daleks is they don't look like men in suits. This makes them superior to many TV series aliens. The armour is often called a 'Dalek Carriage' and can almost be seen as a sort of tank for the Daleks.

Dib
2007-04-22, 09:44 AM
It also makes no logical sense for them to abandon the armour. If the purpose of the experiment was to evolve to kill better, why give up your uber-power-armour-killing-machine for an extremely frail and vulnerable fleshy sac of crap?

I think the point was that there were only four of them left... so they're taking on an 'evolved' form so that there can be more of them... or something...

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-22, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I thought the reason was for them to get more Daleks but I don't see how that helps.

I thought the experiment would be to make a dalek baby.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-22, 10:17 AM
Possibly because nobody wants to know, the process of creating new Daleks hasn't been that well explained.

Apart from the Daleks that weren't created from Kaleds like some of Davroses and the Dalek Emperors in the recent series. Those are created by mutating existing creatures. How the pure Dalek mutants reproduce has never been explained to my knowledge.

The Dalek traveling machines are probably built in factories. Factories which were probably destroyed in the Time War.

Dib
2007-04-22, 10:30 AM
hmm... maybe they'll do the same thing they just did with one of the othe Daleks and a female and you know... eww... gross... but yeah... that might be what they're up to... unlikely though...

Jibar
2007-04-22, 10:48 AM
Ugh.
I just picked up my What's On for this week and read their bit on next weeks Doctor Who.
Sec develops emotions, and wants to save the human race now. But of course, his buddies don't, so the Doctor has to team up with Sec.
Ugh. Just. Ugh.
Stop ruining TVs greatest villains okay?

Mc. Lovin'
2007-04-22, 10:49 AM
I'm throwing my vote in for the Master. We already know that John Simm is playing Mr. Saxon, which is an anagram of "Master No. Six." John Simm's incarnation will be the 6th Master to appear on television. Plus the Face of Boe said that the Doctor is the Last of the Time Lords, and that he is not alone. Technically while the Master was a Time Lord he isn't anymore, in a biological sense.

No he said 'you arent alone', which could mean he was refering to Captain Jack, who can't die and is coming back to the series. (However the master coming back would be mch more exiting, as long as he lasts longer than the two episode series final

EDIT ^^ Wow that sounds like it willsuck like hell. Human Daleks are bad enough already (Give up being bullet proof and loose you uber weapons of death, good idea)

I thought the experiment would be to make a dalek baby.

Disturbing images in my head ...

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-22, 11:05 AM
Jibar you're making it up, please say you are.

Dib
2007-04-22, 11:26 AM
Damn it! Why did I have to be so damn curious!? stupid spoiler on Jibar's post!

Jibar
2007-04-22, 11:49 AM
Jibar you're making it up, please say you are.

I wish.
No, these guys have not been wrong yet.
If you get that little Live magazine on a Sunday, then you'll be able to find it yourself.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-22, 06:14 PM
Ah..Live magazine, I preferred it when it was called Night&Day myself.

I too read that little spoiler, but I still thought it sounded cool. Personally though, I liked the Daleks more when they fired silly white gas at people and could be pushed over or rolled down corridors quickly to their doom. Making them into flying bombers is rather stupid imo.

I thought that Episode 4 was okay. Probably the weakest of the series so far, and all the accents made me giggle. A bit like watching 42nd Street, those kind of accents are allowed on the stage, but not on television.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-23, 09:57 AM
Why? Why must they ruin good stuff jsut to make things more PC/happy-ending? Stupid writers. They should have let me write the new series. Rose wouldn't have lasted that long, I tell you that much.

anphorus
2007-04-23, 11:01 AM
Damn it, I really hope they are wrong this time (although there's little chance). Dalek Sec was probably my favourite Doctor Who villain. Killing him off is bad enough, but making him side against his own people? That just makes no damn sense!

I have to agree that episode 4 is the weakest of the current series. Mostly because of too many pigs and not enough Daleks being evil and murdering people. Plus the accents were just... laughable. John Barrowman must be wincing in pain all throughout this episode.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-23, 06:15 PM
Totally forgot, I hated those pig men. They just looked stupid, it's like V's owlbear rant...why would you ever use pigs as the warping animal!!??

Reminded me of that stupid little pig-person that they had in the 4th episode of the 1st series. That one was also a genetic experiment if I remember correctly.

But anyway, I'm looking more forward to the "Next Time On Doctor Who" segment than I am to the preceeding episode! And I wish they's stop jumping it around in the schedules too...

anphorus
2007-04-24, 07:33 AM
Totally forgot, I hated those pig men. They just looked stupid, it's like V's owlbear rant...why would you ever use pigs as the warping animal!!??

Not that I'm defending it in the episode, since they didn't seem to capitalise on it much, but pigs are (I think) the 3rd most intelligent animal on earth, so you could likely preserve the majority of the base human's intelligence, while also getting any advantages from the pigs.

The problem I have with it is; where the hell did they get the pigs? They're in the middle of a major metropolis, and underground to boot! They would have to ship the pigs in from the countryside just for the genetic manipulation. Why not use something like dogs, or better yet rats. There are millions of fast breeding rodents readily available in the sewers.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-24, 07:46 AM
I remember when the Daleks simply brainwashed people into servitude. Saved time, and they didn't look that stupid.

Actually judging by what happened to that part-transformed pig-guy, it seems as if the people get all mutated and they just so happen to turn into pig-men...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-24, 10:26 AM
Pigs are very similar to humans. They created pig men as trial experiments for their hybridising thing.

I remember when the Daleks simply brainwashed people into servitude. Saved time, and they didn't look that stupid.

Did you ever see the Robo-men? They looked stupid, and had a dumb name.

Castaras
2007-04-24, 10:42 AM
I am complaining to Radiotimes. They damn spoiled the episode for me!

They had this splashed on the front page, with "Half Dalek, Half Human - Total Monster?!" underneath. :furious:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/08/Human_dalek.jpg/250px-Human_dalek.jpg

*Takes deep breath.*

Okay. It was an okay episode. I've prefered others though.

Clover
2007-04-24, 10:55 AM
That one was also a genetic experiment if I remember correctly.

something like that... it was a real pig and the Slytheen (spelling?) gave it (this is where I get a bit wobbly) a human brain to make people think it was an alien...

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-25, 04:39 AM
Yup, that's right. I thought the Slitheen were kind of stupid though, with their baby faces they just looked cute...rather than even slightly scary. And no, I didn't see the Robo-men unless that was the term given to the brainwashed human slaves of the Daleks in that TV movie about them...

And Hybrid Seck reminds me of an unholy coupling of a beholder and a mind flayer...but looking entirely stupid, rather than the awesome abberation that should issue forth...

Kosmopolite
2007-04-25, 06:08 AM
No Daleks in the TV movie. There were two cinematic movies with Peter Cushing that had Robo-men.

The fact is, the Daleks have have had a few different kinds of slave over the years.

Eldpollard
2007-04-25, 05:05 PM
I remember when daleks could be killed by being run over by a van, or stairs. Or putting a blanket under their wheels. Those were better times.

Kosmopolite
2007-04-25, 05:11 PM
In what way? Because they were unconvincing as an enemy and unscary as a monster? I have great affection for the old series, but the fact is that the new one is much much effective (as the ratings show). You can't bash it for innovating. That is what it always attempted to do in "the good old days". The reason we have all these elements to criticise and remember today is because they tried something new back then. Try watching it with an open mind. [/rant]

onasuma
2007-04-28, 07:29 AM
any last minuet predictions anyone?

Dihan
2007-04-28, 07:36 AM
The Daleks will find a way to get away... Again...

onasuma
2007-04-28, 10:37 AM
Thats taken as obvious

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-28, 01:29 PM
The episode wasn't that bad, I thought it would turn out even cornier with the Sek/Doctor story.

Very cool Chaos Spawn-alike in the next episode though...

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-28, 01:32 PM
Well, that was decidely meh.

Dihan
2007-04-28, 01:32 PM
It's also back to the "present" in the next episode.

Captain van der Decken
2007-04-28, 01:34 PM
That wasn't that horrible.

I really did wonder why the Daleks decided to fight an army with weapons that could kill them. Then activate some kind of genetic self destruct, or something and kill them all. But only after the two Daleks had died.

Jibar
2007-04-28, 01:36 PM
Was I disappointed? Yes.
Was I as disapointed as I thought I would be? No, not really.

While I have nothing but angry-hate-spite for Sek, knowing a Dalek survived and watching them give birth to and then genocide an entire race made it an enjoyable watch.

Don Beegles
2007-04-28, 01:36 PM
I've only ever seen one episode (Madame du Pompadour, which I've heard is one of the good ones) and I was completely floored. I flew to England on Virign Atlantic, and so I thought IU'd use the TV to get in touch with some British shows, and after I watched a lot of Blackadder and Extras, I thought I'd try Dr. Who. Unfortunately, after the one episode, they turned the entertainment off, so I only ever saw that one episode.

It was amazing, though. It's not often that an hour long TV show can get you emotionally invested, but when it ended I was on the verge of tears. I was very disappointed that on the flight home they only had one episode and it was the same one. I wanted more. What channel is it on in America?

Captain van der Decken
2007-04-28, 01:38 PM
Was I disappointed? Yes.
Was I as disapointed as I thought I would be? No, not really.

That's pretty much what I thought.

I did kinda hope Sek's plan would work, but having seen... movies/tv in general, it seemed fairly unlikely.

Soniku
2007-04-28, 01:38 PM
Not the best episode, but definitely a lot better than many had predicted.
Sek hardly became good, more like he realized the doctor would whoop their butts and he also needed more people. It's the standard thing of bad guys with human DNA get emotions that's been going on since the beginning of sci-fi.

I really did wonder why the Daleks decided to fight an army with weapons that could kill them. Then activate some kind of genetic self destruct, or something and kill them all. But only after the two Daleks had died.

Because only one was resisting until they killed him? I wouldn't waste the other soldiers who appeared to be oblivious to what was going on just to take out one unarmored traitor.

Captain van der Decken
2007-04-28, 01:42 PM
Because only one was resisting until they killed him? I wouldn't waste the other soldiers who appeared to be oblivious to what was going on just to take out one unarmored traitor.

I meant when they all opened fire. It's foolish at best, to take risks when only three of your kind exist.

Jibar
2007-04-28, 01:43 PM
That was something that was bothering me.
"WE HAVE CREATED HUMAN DA-LEKS. THEY WILL MARCH OUT AND CONQUER! BUT WE WILL LEAVE THEIR SOFT, SPONGY FLESH UN-GUARD-ED, FOR BAFFLING REASONS BEYOND DALEK INTELLI-GENCE!"

People of this time still have bullets. Bullets go into meat quite nicely.
Ahhh, those silly Daleks and their wacky schemes.

Aidan305
2007-04-28, 01:51 PM
Not the best episode. everything that happened was expected and I prefer it when Dr Who has a couple of nice twists.

Still, ,when you consider the episode, you have to wonder...

Why didn't the Dr just take the oportuity to re-create the Timelord race?

Also, a couple of things I found interesting:

The Human/Dalek weapons were shaped like tommyguns and where on earth do people who can't even afford to eat get all those guns from?

Captain van der Decken
2007-04-28, 01:53 PM
Maybe the Dalek weapons used tommygun parts.

Soniku
2007-04-28, 01:53 PM
Basic sci-fi laws, mooks with cool guns don't need armor because the army and police forces can't beat them even with tanks while the hero can pierce super-dreadnought battleship armor with a small toothpick, rendering any form of defense either too much or too little against whatever they come up against.

Anyway, is it just me or do the effects of dalek lasers change every ten seconds? One moment they're makeing explosive strafing runs and the next it gives the electro-shock effect without a sign of any explosive action.

Calamity
2007-04-28, 01:54 PM
The Human/Dalek weapons were shaped like tommyguns and where on earth do people who can't even afford to eat get all those guns from?

What? What are you talking about? Since when did humans have laser guns in the 1930's? They were made by the Daleks (Probably from human weaponry)

Aidan305
2007-04-28, 01:56 PM
What? What are you talking about? Since when did humans have laser guns in the 1930's? They were made by the Daleks (Probably from human weaponry)

I was unclear, they were two spereate points.

1. The weapons the Dalek/humans were wielding were shaped like tommyguns

2. The people of Hooverville had huge amounts of weaponry but apparantly cant afford to eat.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-28, 02:07 PM
This is America. OF COURSE they had guns. :smallwink:

Jibar
2007-04-28, 02:12 PM
This is America. OF COURSE they had guns. :smallwink:

:confused:
That is exactly what my mother said.
Spooky.

Bryn
2007-04-28, 02:17 PM
Well, I was more than a little disappointed by that episode. Most of the reasons have already been mentioned, in addition to "DNA/lightning does not work that way!" (I know, this is Doctor Who, don't expect physics, but still...)

On the other hand, watching how they did the special effects in the confidential... well, it blows my crude efforts at photo manipulation and explosion effects away, that's certain.

Next week looks like it will be good, though!

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-28, 02:29 PM
Why is there always one person who tries to reason with an obviously unstoppable, unfeeling enemy?

onasuma
2007-04-28, 02:32 PM
Next week is going to be awesome. For all those warhammer players out there, it looks like someone unlocked the secret of chaos...

Soniku
2007-04-28, 04:15 PM
I hope next episode will be this seasons "good 'un"

FYI the good 'uns of seasons one and two were the WW2 setting empty child and the Impossible planet. (both two-parters)

Bryn
2007-04-28, 04:35 PM
Transcript of an MSN conversation in which I was lamenting the various problems in the latest episode...

Apelord69 says:
What disappointed you the most about the episode?
Z-Axis says:
Oh... loads
Z-Axis says:
Let me see
Z-Axis says:
"We have the power to kill all our human daleks, but we wait until they have destroyed two of our number before doing so"
Z-Axis says:
DNA doesn't work that way!
Apelord69 says:
Yeah
Z-Axis says:
Lightning doesn't work that way!
Apelord69 says:
I just got that
Z-Axis says:
Human daleks = stupid
Z-Axis says:
Although the special effects were quite cool
Apelord69 says:
Yeah
Z-Axis says:
Also, gamma rays do not work that way!
Apelord69 says:
I liked it when Dalek Sec killed himself
Z-Axis says:
The other Daleks killed him, didn't they?
Apelord69 says:
Well yeah
Apelord69 says:
But he jumped in the way of the bea,
Z-Axis says:
Oh right, I see
Z-Axis says:
Y'know, I think I'm being a bit hard on the episode
Apelord69 says:
Nah
Apelord69 says:
Z-Axis says:
"We have the power to kill all our human daleks, but we wait until they have destroyed two of our number before doing so"
Apelord69 says:
So true
Z-Axis says:
Also, the Dalek raid on Hooverville
Apelord69 says:
What was bad?
Z-Axis says:
One moment, they're blowing things up
Apelord69 says:
The fact that no people go him by Dalek and no Pigs got through and yet some people were still injured?
Z-Axis says:
Then they shoot people and they do the flash skeleton thing
Z-Axis says:
With no sign of explosion
Z-Axis says:
That wasn't too bad
Z-Axis says:
But the people were all in the centre of Hooverville
Z-Axis says:
Why not put an explosion there?
Z-Axis says:
Also, when they had just captured Sek and the Doctor
Z-Axis says:
Why not shoot them there and then?
Z-Axis says:
Rather than letting the useless pig slaves hold onto them
Z-Axis says:
How could the Daleks not realise that Laslo was different from the other pigs?
Z-Axis says:
Let me see, what else...
Z-Axis says:
The last Dalek that was doing the controlling
Apelord69 says:
You should post all this on Giantitp
Z-Axis says:
They mentioned much of the points already
Z-Axis says:
Anyway, let me carry on
Apelord69 says:
Kk
Apelord69 says:
The last Dalek that was doing the controlling ...
Z-Axis says:
Why did it not shoot the Doctor before emergency temporal shift
Z-Axis says:
?
Z-Axis says:
Also, what did the Doctor hope to do?
Z-Axis says:
He knows he can't reason with normal non-human Daleks
Z-Axis says:
There were good bits
Z-Axis says:
The action was fairly good
Z-Axis says:
But I think if they cut the whole human dalek business
Z-Axis says:
Not IC for Daleks at all
Z-Axis says:
Although it was only Sek really
Z-Axis says:
Still, Sek used to be cool
Z-Axis says:
Anyway
Z-Axis says:
Enough ranting!
Z-Axis says:
Anyway, all that said
Z-Axis says:
It was a fairly fun episode
Apelord69 says:
Yeah
Z-Axis says:
Does not even come close to Dalek, though

Next week's episode looks like it will be great. As for Good'uns, in addition to those mentioned already, I have fond memories of Dalek... among many others, which I can't really remember. Impossible Planet/Satan Pit was great though.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-28, 06:52 PM
I've only ever seen one episode (Madame du Pompadour, which I've heard is one of the good ones) and I was completely floored. I flew to England on Virign Atlantic, and so I thought IU'd use the TV to get in touch with some British shows, and after I watched a lot of Blackadder and Extras, I thought I'd try Dr. Who. Unfortunately, after the one episode, they turned the entertainment off, so I only ever saw that one episode.

It was amazing, though. It's not often that an hour long TV show can get you emotionally invested, but when it ended I was on the verge of tears. I was very disappointed that on the flight home they only had one episode and it was the same one. I wanted more. What channel is it on in America?

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but it's great to hear that Dr Who travels. I worry that it's all too British, and that it only works here, (mostly because of it's heritage). It's a fantastic programme since it's rebirth, but I've been worried that the uninitiated wouldn't give it the time of day.

I'd hoped that that one Dalek at the end would be the one that got trapped in the bunker in Season 1, that the Doctor captured it or something, and then passed it on...

Finalement, it's looking like we're going to see more of Martha's family in the next episode, because it's very present-set. Jackie was a very useful character for the last series, and I'd like to see how this develops too. We're near the half-way point too, so we stop being able to pick up clues from the Season 3 trailer...and the future becomes more of a mystery, which is always more exciting.

And I completely agree, The Empty Child and The Impossible Planet were the best episodes from the two seasons.

Calamity
2007-04-29, 04:38 AM
And I completely agree, The Empty Child and The Impossible Planet were the best episodes from the two seasons.

I didn't really like The Empty Child to be honest.

Jiktori
2007-04-29, 05:56 AM
:confused:
That is exactly what my mother said.
Spooky.

...Same case over here too, only my dad said it, not my mum.

So... Scorpions next week then?

Archonic Energy
2007-04-29, 06:44 AM
I'd hoped that that one Dalek at the end would be the one that got trapped in the bunker in Season 1, that the Doctor captured it or something, and then passed it on...

i thought that, but he would have introduced himself as "Dalek (whaever his name was)" in the episode "Dalek" which would have been cool.

also that would have effectivly stopped them from ever being able to use the Daleks again. which would be bad because Daleks are cool...

[tom baker] If you're the master race then come up here & get me! [/tom baker] before the "Levitate" ability was added

as a wise man once said "A real Dalek wouldn't worry about stairs... they would level the building"

Mc. Lovin'
2007-04-29, 11:37 AM
Transcript of an MSN conversation in which I was lamenting the various problems in the latest episode...
Apelord69 says:
What disappointed you the most about the episode?
Z-Axis says:
Oh... loads
Z-Axis says:
Let me see
Z-Axis says:
Z-Axis says:
DNA doesn't work that way!
Apelord69 says:
Yeah
Z-Axis says:
Lightning doesn't work that way!
Apelord69 says:
I just got that
Z-Axis says:
Human daleks = stupid
Z-Axis says:
Although the special effects were quite cool
Apelord69 says:
Yeah
Z-Axis says:
Also, gamma rays do not work that way!
Apelord69 says:
I liked it when Dalek Sec killed himself
Z-Axis says:
The other Daleks killed him, didn't they?
Apelord69 says:
Well yeah
Apelord69 says:
But he jumped in the way of the beam
Z-Axis says:
Oh right, I see
Z-Axis says:
Y'know, I think I'm being a bit hard on the episode
Apelord69 says:
Nah
Apelord69 says:
Z-Axis says:
Apelord69 says:
So true
Z-Axis says:
Also, the Dalek raid on Hooverville
Apelord69 says:
What was bad?
Z-Axis says:
One moment, they're blowing things up
Apelord69 says:
The fact that no people go hit by the Daleks and no Pigs got through and yet some people were still injured?
Z-Axis says:
Then they shoot people and they do the flash skeleton thing
Z-Axis says:
With no sign of explosion
Z-Axis says:
That wasn't too bad
Z-Axis says:
But the people were all in the centre of Hooverville
Z-Axis says:
Why not put an explosion there?
Z-Axis says:
Also, when they had just captured Sek and the Doctor
Z-Axis says:
Why not shoot them there and then?
Z-Axis says:
Rather than letting the useless pig slaves hold onto them
Z-Axis says:
How could the Daleks not realise that Laslo was different from the other pigs?
Z-Axis says:
Let me see, what else...
Z-Axis says:
The last Dalek that was doing the controlling
Apelord69 says:
You should post all this on Giantitp
Z-Axis says:
They mentioned much of the points already
Z-Axis says:
Anyway, let me carry on
Apelord69 says:
Kk
Apelord69 says:
The last Dalek that was doing the controlling ...
Z-Axis says:
Why did it not shoot the Doctor before emergency temporal shift
Z-Axis says:
?
Z-Axis says:
Also, what did the Doctor hope to do?
Z-Axis says:
He knows he can't reason with normal non-human Daleks
Z-Axis says:
There were good bits
Z-Axis says:
The action was fairly good
Z-Axis says:
But I think if they cut the whole human dalek business
Z-Axis says:
Not IC for Daleks at all
Z-Axis says:
Although it was only Sek really
Z-Axis says:
Still, Sek used to be cool
Z-Axis says:
Anyway
Z-Axis says:
Enough ranting!
Z-Axis says:
Anyway, all that said
Z-Axis says:
It was a fairly fun episode
Apelord69 says:
Yeah
Z-Axis says:
Does not even come close to Dalek, though

Next week's episode looks like it will be great. As for Good'uns, in addition to those mentioned already, I have fond memories of Dalek... among many others, which I can't really remember. Impossible Planet/Satan Pit was great though.

Wow I sounded like an -expletive- in that. I do usually contribute more to the converstions :smallredface:

Anyway I agree with what most of you have said about this episode. There were some laughably poor bits, and yet I was not as disapointed as I thoguht I would be

Dragor
2007-04-29, 12:13 PM
I didn't really like The Empty Child to be honest.

How so? It seems to be one of the most popular episodes- I enjoyed it thoroughly, it had the right mix of action and mystery.

And the next episode to be shown looks awesome. The first thing me and my friends shouted was "NIDS IN DOCTOR WHO!"

Wishful thinking, but put Daleks against Marines. That would be one hell of a fight. Doctor Who in 40k? A personal fantasy. :smallsmile:

Soniku
2007-04-29, 12:30 PM
Hah, I would love to see daleks, cybermen and timelords in 40k. Madness! :smallbiggrin:

anphorus
2007-04-29, 02:59 PM
Was this episode one of the best of the series? No, but I was expecting it to be far worse, so I was still presently surprised.

There are multiple reasons that the Doctor didn't clone some Time Lords. For one thing, he didn't have any empty human shells to use. For another, every humanoid life-form in the universe is a knockoff of the Time Lords, so it's possible that the Time Lords can't be made in the same process as the Dalek-Human hybrids. And I think I remember from somewhere that Time Lords and Gallifreyians are slightly different things.

I think that Dalek Khan didn't shoot the Doctor because he needed to conserve his power for the temporal shift. Not having the Hybrids in Dalek armour seemed fine to me, Dalek armour seems to be specially constructed for the individual Dalek, and is probably too High-Tech and expensive for '20s New York.

Too bad that Dalek Sec died, he was one of my favourite villains. He didn't become good at all, to my mind, he just accepted that Daleks weren't perfect, and perhaps some other being could assist them. I got the feeling that once the Daleks had rebuilt there race they would start there genocide again.

Elliot Kane
2007-04-29, 04:52 PM
Don - according to an American friend of mine, the Sci-fi channel shows Dr Who. You might be better off looking on YouTube for the last two seasons, though. They also have huge amounts of the older series. I haven't looked for all of them (There are just too many) but I'm pretty sure every surviving episode is up there somewhere.

You might consider this to be the YouTube search guide (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/) :D

On the matter of surviving Time Lords - well, both Romana and The Rani are technically Time Ladies, so either or both may survive. The Master (If he escaped from the Tardis core where the dreadful TV movie landed him - which is highly likely) would probably now count as something else, too...

Other than the Daleks and the Cybermen, the Master is the greatest of all the Doctor's villains, so I really hope he'll be back...

As for vampires - well, The Family Of Blood may or may not feature them, but it sure sounds possible :)

Emperor Demonking
2007-04-30, 10:53 AM
Surely I wasn't the only one who laughed when the darleks killed the man, who did the compassion speech.

Archonic Energy
2007-04-30, 11:44 AM
Surely I wasn't the only one who laughed when the darleks killed the man, who did the compassion speech.
no... no you weren't

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-30, 02:24 PM
I think I burst out laughing at the exact point when he said "Don't you have any mercy?" or something like that...

Bryn
2007-04-30, 02:36 PM
I went through the speech mainly thinking "Just exterminate him already!"

Why the Daleks did not set off another explosion (since when did they do that anyway?) in the middle of the crowd of people... well, who knows?

Jibar
2007-04-30, 02:47 PM
As to the explosion, have we ever actually seen a Dalek shot miss? I mean, they didn't hit anybody, the beams just hit the ground. Explosion.
I could believe it at least.

Captain van der Decken
2007-04-30, 02:55 PM
But the explosions were killing people (I think). So, presumably, they were exploding people instead of zapping them.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-04-30, 02:58 PM
I went through the speech mainly thinking "Just exterminate him already!"

Why the Daleks did not set off another explosion (since when did they do that anyway?) in the middle of the crowd of people... well, who knows?

I have to say I did the same. I think it would have been far moer amusing however if he was exterminated half way through his speech.

Some things. That guy who said 'It's a devil in the sky' wasn't very convincing IMO

Also why on earth do the Daleks listen to the Doctors speeches all the time? That is mainly the reason for their downfall, Doctor gives speech, does something with the sonic screwdriver / leave and the Daleks are b***ered. Why can't they just say 'OMFG Teh Doctorz! Exterminate'

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-30, 03:34 PM
But the explosions were killing people (I think). So, presumably, they were exploding people instead of zapping them.

I felt that there was more of an A-Team vibe about the bombing run. The Daleks would swoop in and shoot the ground next to a person, so that they'd jump away, but never be killed on the spot. Then the person would stand, dust themselves off and run around shouting a lot...

Bryn
2007-04-30, 03:41 PM
Also why on earth do the Daleks listen to the Doctors speeches all the time? That is mainly the reason for their downfall, Doctor gives speech, does something with the sonic screwdriver / leave and the Daleks are b***ered. Why can't they just say 'OMFG Teh Doctorz! Exterminate'

The first time they saw him in that episode, they did react that way, but Sek stopped them... I suppose it would be a bit of a short story otherwise.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-04-30, 04:22 PM
True but from most of the Dalek episodes I can remember (Bar 'Dalek') the Doctor just strolls in (for instance in the series finale of series 2) and tlaks to the Daleks for ages. I find this stupid at best, especially when it is a 'strategy' repeted by The Doctor many a time.

Calamity
2007-04-30, 04:24 PM
Right, so they kill him, and then where does the plot go?

Bryn
2007-04-30, 05:00 PM
I think rather than suggesting that the Doctor should die, Apelord is suggesting that the scriptwriters should write their script so that he can stay alive without the Daleks coincidentally deciding not to shoot him, even though he gives them plenty of opportunity.

For all the 'criticism' I have given the latest episode, I would like to say that I still enjoyed it, if not as much as the other episodes of a great show like Dr Who :smallwink:

Elliot Kane
2007-04-30, 09:19 PM
The Daleks are extremely logically creatures, and the Doctor always acts in a totally illogical manner. This causes them to not know what to do, which is why they hesitate rather than shoot him.

Emperor Demonking
2007-05-05, 01:45 PM
I thought the vilian was a bit comical but overall a good episode.

Soniku
2007-05-05, 01:48 PM
Lets have a big bump in celebration of tonights tyranid fun! :smallbiggrin:

Although too bad I missed next episodes trailer, it looked like a good 'un from the few seconds I saw :smallsigh:

I guess I'll have to check youtube later.

Were-Sandwich
2007-05-05, 02:08 PM
Well, that was ok. I must say this series is not living up to the high standard set by the previous two.

Bryn
2007-05-05, 02:25 PM
I enjoyed today's episode... I have a strange urge to start playing a Chaos army and convert a Chaos Spawn to look a bit like that :smallwink:...

I wonder what Mr Saxon told Martha's mum - did he just make up some lies or is it some secret about the doctor?

Totally Guy
2007-05-05, 02:30 PM
I think he told her the truth. That around the Doctor there is always chaos and death.

Next weeks (cough, fortnights) epidode looks like it's pulling out all the stops. Hopefully it'll be one of those gems of the series.

onasuma
2007-05-05, 02:36 PM
I enjoyed today's episode... I have a strange urge to start playing a Chaos army and convert a Chaos Spawn to look a bit like that :smallwink:...

Way ahead of you. Already started one for my lost and dammed.

Anyone else have that problem that if the doctor can save the universe from all kinds of madness, why he doesnt destroy euro-vision?

Not a bad episode though, i was hoping for a slightly more torchwood-canibalised bodies, but then it wold have to be on later.

Also Wooo jacks back

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-05, 02:51 PM
I think he told her the truth. That around the Doctor there is always chaos and death.

Next weeks (cough, fortnights) epidode looks like it's pulling out all the stops. Hopefully it'll be one of those gems of the series.

I don't think that is all one episode. I think it's a summary of the second half of the series. It feels way too high octane for one single episode.

Good episode. I really enjoyed it.

onasuma
2007-05-05, 02:56 PM
I think it might be as well, or one of those episodes like in torchwood where two timezone have to interact

Calamity
2007-05-05, 03:03 PM
Can't believe they're postposing Doctor Who but not 'Any Dream Will Do.'
I WANT MY WEEKLY FIX!!! :smallfurious:

:smallfrown:

Bryn
2007-05-05, 03:25 PM
At least in the weekend I will have time to catch up on Torchwood, if I can get a copy. I have to watch all episodes but the first three :smallamused:

Why? I want to know what Cpt. Jack's been up to if he's coming back :smallwink:

Rift_Wolf
2007-05-05, 03:29 PM
In first series, it was Bad Wolf.
In second series, it was Torchwood.
This season? Saxon.
I spotted him being referenced twice before this episode.
Was trying to think where I'd seen Lazarus before. Any clues?
Also, I prefer Freja to Billie. You can't take her seriously after knowing she sang 'Honey to the B'

orcmonk89
2007-05-05, 03:34 PM
I think that tonight's episode was better than last weeks. Lazarous is the villain I want to play in any performance!
I'd love to be doing even extra work on that show...

orcmonk89
2007-05-05, 03:35 PM
This season? Saxon.

Where? Please tell, even in spoiler format. Pleeaase? :)

onasuma
2007-05-05, 03:41 PM
The person who played lazarus was in leuge of gentlemen.

Dragor
2007-05-05, 03:47 PM
The person who played lazarus was in leuge of gentlemen.

Yes, Mark Gatiss. A brilliant actor- he played Lazarus very well.

That episode is definately the best so far- but the next episode- unless it is a big mash up of the second half- will trump it.

Jack? Check.
Weird villain? Check.
Mystery? It's Doctor Who we're talking about....

I'll definately wait two weeks for that. Oooh, this series has been stale up till now. I'm excited beyond words, bar OMFG T3H DOCT0R OWNZ!!>11213

Gygaxphobia
2007-05-05, 03:56 PM
Do we know anything about Saxton apart from the brief mention in that episode?

My friend plays him, and he hasn't been told much about the plot at all!

Dihan
2007-05-05, 03:59 PM
The preview at the end was a trailer of the upcoming 6 or 7 episodes.

Bryn
2007-05-05, 04:27 PM
Do we know anything about Saxton apart from the brief mention in that episode?

My friend plays him, and he hasn't been told much about the plot at all!

I have been told that Mr Saxon is probably the Master (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_%28Doctor_Who%29), the Doctor's nemesis and another time lord. Mister Saxon is an anagram of Master No Six, and there was other evidence that I can't remember.

onasuma
2007-05-05, 04:30 PM
It is kinda obvious.

Also i spelt league wrong! what is wroing with me

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-05, 06:55 PM
Where? Please tell, even in spoiler format. Pleeaase? :)

Well I can remember that there was a Vote Saxon poster on the wall behind Martha, as the Doctor persuaded her to go on a trip with him in "Smith & Jones." Didn't notice if there was one other before this episode though, so I'll be interested to hear what it was...

I enjoyed the episode quite a bit, certainly more than the Dalek two-parter anyway. I was getting more of a Resi vibe from this Lazarus guy. They tend to have human bosses who turn into horrifically mutated nightmares at the drop of a boss battle...

I thought that the trailer for the next half of the Season looked stunning beyond belief, and I feel that it makes up for missing an episode next Saturday. Oh and by the way...

Am I the only one who noticed the white Tardis doors closing in that montage? They were there so quickly that I thought I had mistaken them, so I could do with some confirmation. They looked very attractive if genuine...

Elliot Kane
2007-05-05, 07:04 PM
Very good, I thought :) Lazarus was an interesting villain - evil, sure, but with a touch of tragedy that made him mildly sympathetic, at least.

Really liked the Doctor's: "All you get for being really old is really lonely" type speech.

And Saxon... definitely intriguing :) With all that build up, he better be you-know-who...

Dib
2007-05-05, 07:06 PM
Not too bad... but i'm thinking more Bone Giant for Tomb Kings myself...

And, two sonic-vulnerable enemies in one night? (yeah, I saw Spidey) stupid brain... poop... melting... gerb...

Oh, btw, I was having the same problem with Lazarus, then I remembered... Lazarus came back from the dead in Greek Mythology...

Next fortnight looks cool (maybe it'll be a double cos of missing this week... thats why theirs so much! Maybe they'll do the old 6-episode=1 story like they used to...

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-06, 02:37 AM
Oh, btw, I was having the same problem with Lazarus, then I remembered... Lazarus came back from the dead in Greek Mythology The Bible...

Fixed. Jesus revived him.

Anywho, I wonder if the Doctor will get a chance to get on Mrs Jones' good side, as she actively fears her Daughter's association with him far more than Jackie ever did Rose's (admittedly, through what is clearly a biased informer). Probably not until the last two episodes, but I hope so.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-05-06, 02:54 AM
I think that in the preveiw for the upcoming episodes that

It was Mr. Saxon regenerating, and that the Dr lite episode (much like the one with that fat green monster) will be about Jack *hopes*

Well I can remember that there was a Vote Saxon poster on the wall behind Martha, as the Doctor persuaded her to go on a trip with him in "Smith & Jones." Didn't notice if there was one other before this episode though, so I'll be interested to hear what it was...

There is another less well known reference to this on "Martha Jones' myspace" (http://http://www.myspace.com/marthajonesuk)

This is where it is mentioned

Do you believe in magic? Because you won't believe where I am... and 'when' I am!

The Doctor came back for me. After Leo's party. He just turned up and offered me a trip in his time machine. Okay, some of you will be laughing but come on, after everything that's happened over the last few years – Saxon shooting down that big alien deathstar thing, the Cybermen – it's not that mad to suggest there's such a thing as time travel, is it? Or do you still believe it was drugs in the water? Go look online. It's easy enough to find the real answers if you ask the right questions.

Yeah I don't think anyone noticed that before

Dib
2007-05-06, 03:35 AM
hmm... in the preview for the next episode, was it just me, or did it look like the Doctor was closing the door to the Tardis on a black hole duringthw whole speech about something or other that kinda makes me feel like the devil's coming back?

If he does, then the Daleks and Cybermen would have to come out too...

Gygaxphobia
2007-05-06, 03:57 AM
Fixed. Jesus revived him.

hehe, with a name like Lazarus what else could he possibly do? Talk about pre-destiny... :)

Totally Guy
2007-05-06, 05:10 AM
I think it's more interesting to wonder why Saxon was funding Lazarus if he is the Master. He was probably after more regenerations. Extra lives and all that. Do Timelords have a limited number of regenrations?

1up!

Emperor Demonking
2007-05-06, 05:41 AM
Timelords do have a limited number of regenerations and the master has ran out of them.

Dragor
2007-05-06, 06:03 AM
That would explain it.

John Simm as the Master- that was a stroke of genius, although I'll still remember him for Life on Mars.

onasuma
2007-05-06, 06:10 AM
Timelords are fixed at twelve regenerations, but i think they'll change that. Only allowing another doctor after this one with the program being so sucessful would be the same as saying "we're cancelling east enders" or some other cheap dirvel the main public watch.
And come to think of it, it would be the first time rules of doctor who have been broken. Since when can you fire a gun inside the tardis? Back in the good old days (as opposed to the good new days), the tardis was some kind of magical no violece area.

Were-Sandwich
2007-05-06, 06:38 AM
Timelords are fixed at twelve regenerations, but i think they'll change that. Only allowing another doctor after this one with the program being so sucessful would be the same as saying "we're cancelling east enders" or some other cheap dirvel the main public watch.
And come to think of it, it would be the first time rules of doctor who have been broken. Since when can you fire a gun inside the tardis? Back in the good old days (as opposed to the good new days), the tardis was some kind of magical no violece area.

I pray for that day, I really do. So much scheduling time taken up by so much crap.

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-06, 07:12 AM
Yeah. Four episodes a week with enough plot for one streched across it.

Anywho, by default, a Timelord has twelve regenerations (13 lives), with David Tennant being the tenth life of the Doctor. The Timelord High Council could grant/remove regenerations to a Timelord, but with them gone that is moot.The Master was on his last during the days of Tom Baker, until he gained mysterious powers from the planet Traken and could possess other people. If Mr. Saxon is indeed him (God, I hope so), then the whole Lazarus shtick makes perfect sense. Hurray for the Master! Moriarty to the Doctor's Holmes!Other suspicions:Did you notice John Simm with an oxygen mask? If the Master somehow got some regenerations before the end of the Time War, he seems to be on his last one.The plot thickens...

onasuma
2007-05-06, 10:45 AM
Dont forget the 26 non-seris doctors from films, audio and comic relief...

Can anyone tell me what the thing stopping guns being fired in the tardis was called?

found it, its an area of multidimensional temporal grace

onasuma
2007-05-06, 02:31 PM
I found a saxon reference in torchwood! Go me!

Aidan305
2007-05-07, 07:53 PM
Apparantly there's a campaign website as well for Saxon.

I'm definetely going with the master. None of his other enemies know quite so much about him except the Daleks, and there's only one of those left.

orcmonk89
2007-05-08, 06:11 AM
I'm definetely going with the master. None of his other enemies know quite so much about him except the Daleks, and there's only one of those left.

They're rarely only one left ;)

Personally, I'm also going with the Master...

Mc. Lovin'
2007-05-08, 09:56 AM
Apparantly there's a campaign website as well for Saxon.

Yep, click on the Vote Saxon banner in my sig (in the spoiler)

I found a saxon reference in torchwood! Go me!

Really? Where? What episode?

Dragor
2007-05-08, 10:25 AM
It gets better, doesn't it? It's even better than all the Bad Wolf shtick- although I think we (the fans :smallsmile: ) have nailed it on the Master. Still- any other possibility who it could be? Lets think out the box here.

Jibar
2007-05-08, 10:36 AM
It gets better, doesn't it? It's even better than all the Bad Wolf shtick- although I think we (the fans :smallsmile: ) have nailed it on the Master. Still- any other possibility who it could be? Lets think out the box here.

The Cybermen!
Davros!
Wolverine!
Captain Jack!

Woah, that last one... that'd be kinda interesting.

Hang on...
If Jack being revived gave him the no-death thing, then all those people on that space station, surely they're not dead either?

onasuma
2007-05-08, 10:50 AM
I doubt super-rose would have bothered with bringing back people she never knew.
Look outside the building jack and tosh are at in the modern day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ492xYJeSI

Jibar
2007-05-08, 11:23 AM
I thought she brought everybody who the Daleks killed back?

Edit: No, apparantly only Jack. Wow. Rose was selfish with her new powers.

That Torchwood bit is interesting though...

Mc. Lovin'
2007-05-14, 11:20 AM
Hey poeple. It seems the BBC have made a slip up. If you read Marth Jones blog she's already filled in the info about the episode next week. If you want to know what happens then read on. MAJOR SPOILERS

http://www.myspace.com/marthajonesuk

onasuma
2007-05-18, 11:38 AM
really, i dont see it

Mc. Lovin'
2007-05-18, 02:38 PM
Arh they took it off! *sigh* I wasn't crazy. I can tell you some of the stuff in it. Then when it finally comes out you can see what I meant.

There was stuff about a phone call which Martha made to her mother when she thoguht that she was going to die, and Martha said that she sounded distracted. Thst's all I can remeber. Lame I know but whatever... Also I think that the title of it was 'a long way from home' or something

Jibar
2007-05-18, 02:41 PM
Hmmm, this Saturday's episode comes from one of the Torchwood writers. This is sounding good. I'm rather disappointed with this series so far, but the good old Torchwood boys ought to fix that up. Espcially when they have a character described filling a "Ripley-esque role". :biggrin:

Dr. Bath
2007-05-18, 02:56 PM
All the people who died on gamestation did come back, like the girl who was the look-out.

I always thought Jack couldn't die because of the nanites from the creepy-gas mask episodes.

Dib
2007-05-18, 02:57 PM
Other suspicions:Did you notice John Simm with an oxygen mask? If the Master somehow got some regenerations before the end of the Time War, he seems to be on his last one.The plot thickens...

well... the other people around him looked dead or asleep, so I assumed he was just wearing it so as not to get gased like the rest of em...

Mc. Lovin'
2007-05-18, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=Jibar;2605302]I'm rather disappointed with this series so far, but the good old Torchwood boys ought to fix that up.[QUOTE]

Totally agree. With both. The torchwood episodes were amazing, with most of them being genuinely freaky (countrycide). If only there was Dr. Who with Torchwood elements, like you said.

Looks like the upcomeing episode is like the devil on in the last series.

onasuma
2007-05-19, 11:12 AM
All the people who died on gamestation did come back, like the girl who was the look-out.

No, they didnt

Dib
2007-05-19, 01:24 PM
Holy Crap!!! All the DALEKS CAME BACK!!!

:smallamused:

Kidding obviously... only saw the first 15 minutes so far... looks good so far... better than some of the other stuff coming out of this series so far... due to noise and stuff its being recorded and will be watched later tonight...

Jibar
2007-05-19, 01:58 PM
Well, this weeks episode lived up to expectations.
While the baddy was a surprise (the vice mad me thought the Beast was back), the rest of the episode gave me the right kind of Alien feel.
I also believe Mr. Saxon should have been avilable in the general election to build up hype.
And where the hell is Jack!?

Dihan
2007-05-19, 02:00 PM
As I said before, the trailer two weeks ago was a combination of the remaining episodes. Jack will probably be back in the last two.

Were-Sandwich
Well that was...strange. I think it was definately inspired by Traveller, what with the whole skimming fuel of stars thing.

Next weeks episode looks pretty good. "Worsel Gummage: Vengeance"

orcmonk89
Just saw '42', and I must say I thought it was one of the best in the series. You could tell it was written by a torchwood writer. Really good...

Jibar
2007-05-19, 02:03 PM
That's another point, when will Torchwood be coming back?
That had some quality writing, good characters and some truly disturbing episodes. We need that back.
Whatever the backlash from Mr. Saxon is gonna be is going to affect them over in Cardiff. Somehow.

Captain van der Decken
2007-05-19, 02:09 PM
That was a pretty good episode. I want to find more out 'bout Mr Saxon, now.

One thing. Where were the two male agents/goons earlier? When you first see the woman phone tapping, they aren't there. I think.

onasuma
2007-05-19, 03:07 PM
As I said before, the trailer two weeks ago was a combination of the remaining episodes. Jack will probably be back in the last two.

Last 4 actually.

still watching 42, we had a family meal over it :smallannoyed: Good so far.

Edit: Next week: AGHGHGHGRGHRGNRHGRHGHGFHGJYTGHGFREFGD! Guns no fire in tardis be working yes? Work it does not. Just, no work be it.

Im starting to sound like yoda

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-19, 07:36 PM
I enjoyed the episode, but I can't wait for the next one, it looks a bit odd...and I love a bit of oddity every so often.

I've spent some time arguing with my folks about how 42 just has to be some 24 reference, but they're too sceptical. Apparantly I'm too analytical when it comes to Doctor Who.

orcmonk89
2007-05-20, 06:31 AM
I think there may have been. It seems realtime to me, with 42 minutes of an episode, and 42 minutes in the episode.

Dihan
2007-05-20, 06:32 AM
It was also set in the 42nd century and they had 42 minutes until they crashed into the sun.

Dragor
2007-05-20, 07:05 AM
Damn internet stopped working. I need to comment on 42- best episode by far. And yeah, the Torchwood writers are full of awesome. This series of Doctor Who has been quite disappointing, but that was nothing to do with the actors, just the scripts. Get a decent script and BAMF! We have what we wanted.

Can't wait for Jack to get his piece of the action. There's nothing like a space-faring, Abaddon-defying hunk to brighten up your day.

onasuma
2007-05-20, 10:13 AM
42 is a hitchhikers reference, and allowed the show to be in real time for a change.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-05-26, 03:16 PM
Wow, the new episode was really great! more 'thinking' than 'running around with monsters'. And the next episode looks even MORE interesting. (Was that the Doctor's childern?)

Totally Guy
2007-05-26, 04:17 PM
The cliffhanger was amazing! How are they going to get out of that? He's just an ordinary man.

Actually I find myself thinking that a lot. Whenever he gets into scrapes that can't be solved by "I'm an alien" get out clauses and he's separated from his gadgetry and Tardis I just think, he's almost as an ordinary person. How would I do it? It's great for getting into a programme like that.

As someone once said: The star ship enterprise will never land in your garden, but the Tardis could materialise outside your house and you could be on an adventure at any time.

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-26, 06:11 PM
I thought that this evening's episode was one of the highlights of the series. Immensely English while playing with what we expect from the Doctor. It sort of reminded me of that Marc Warren episode from the last series, which was similarly unusual in how it treated the Doctor and those around him.

I suspect that the boy will open the watch and The Family will get drawn to him instead of the Doctor or something, but it's just a guess. I'm really looking forward to next week though. The Dalek two-parter was nowhere near as good imho.