PDA

View Full Version : Metroidvania. What do you think of them?

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-31, 02:39 PM
Speaking as a Metroidvania fan, I love 'em. However, what about everyone else? Do you like the term? Do you hate the term? Have you never heard of it? If you never have, you might want to take a gander at this egamia (http://egamia.com/w2/index.php?title=Metroidvania) write-up.

So yes, how does everyone else feel about the term?

Woot Spitum
2007-03-31, 02:47 PM
Even though I like the Metroid series better, I really like the Metroidvania Castlevanias. The term is fine.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-03-31, 03:02 PM
I'm generally fond of the games, as long as some effort is put into them.

One the subject of Metroidvanias, anyone who has not played Cave Story must seek it out and play it with a burning passion. It is the best free game ever.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-31, 05:40 PM
Agreed. Though "Within a Deep Forest" is pretty cool, too.

The most awesome I've ever seen, though, was a demo for an unreleased game which was basically Metal Slug meets the Metroidvania genre.

Arlanthe
2007-04-01, 02:30 AM
Goofy term- other games also had these elements.

Alex Kidd
2007-04-01, 07:08 AM
What? No Samus is the one true goddess and all unbelievers shall be smote option?:smallwink:
I belive that shows my opinion on the genre right there.

I like the term somewhat, seeing as Action-Adventure-Sidescroller-RPG and in Metroid's case Shooter is far clunkier. And Metroid is the first game to have that kind of gameplay. There were others befoe Castlevania started doing it, but is was the second big one. It also did it differently enough that something like Metroid-clone wouldn't quite do it justice.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-04-01, 07:35 AM
You had no 'neutral' option in there.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-01, 02:18 PM
Hrm. I've always heard these referred to as "Castleroids."

Arlanthe
2007-04-01, 03:08 PM
Hrm. I've always heard these referred to as "Castleroids."

Hahaha. That's hilarious.

Why not "Open Platform" game, or "Open Adventure" game, or some other neutral term? Metroidvania just seems silly to me. I can think of so many others- Faxanadu, Kingdom Quest, Clash at Demonhead, Strider... Metroid and CVII and IV+ did it well, Metroid possibly the best imo, but not unique or even original.