PDA

View Full Version : Quick Ioun Stone questions

Aerlock
2007-03-31, 02:58 PM
I recall seeing a book somewhere that listed the price of a Dull Gray Ioun Stone. Can anyone help me find it?

Also I vaguely remember seeing a crown or headband that let you put Ioun stones in slots and get their full effect without having them orbit. I think this was a 3.0 thing but am not sure. If I could get an answer as to whether I'm nuts or not on ths item I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks All!

Aerlock

Fizban
2007-03-31, 03:05 PM
The dull gray ioun stone was priced in 3.0, 25gp IIRC. It was removed from the table in 3.5, though you can still get them by burning out one of the spell absorbing ones.

I don't know about any "ioun crown", but there's an ioun blade in the Arms and Equipment Guide that can hold one stone.

Aerlock
2007-03-31, 03:47 PM
Thanks! I found the price for the dull gray ioun stone in the 3.0 SRD. It was indeed 25gp.

I'm beginning to think that that crown I'm thinking of was possibly in a dragon magazine or some third party 3.0 book. I've been looking for that for a couple years now just so I can prove to myself I'm not nuts. :)

Aerlock

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-31, 03:50 PM
Its also in the XPH, as psionic players can gain something from the stones.

Amiria
2007-03-31, 04:39 PM
Ioun Stones are overpriced as slotless items. Compare them to another similar slotless item, the Stone of Good Luck. In comparism they have some glaring disadvantages.

1) They are gaudy to the extreme. They float around your head and scream "I'm an expensive magical item. My owner is a rich adventurer/troublemaker/etc. Please kill him and take me."

2) They can be easily snatched away or sundered.

Imho they should be priced as x 1,5 instead of x 2,0

martyboy74
2007-03-31, 04:44 PM
Do think a 20th level character could fly if he spent all his money on dull grey ioun stones, and stood on them.

Douglas
2007-03-31, 05:12 PM
They'd orbit his head, not stay stationary under his feet, so no. All you'd accomplish with 760000 gp worth of them (25 gp each IIRC) would be to blind yourself and look very silly with a 6 feet wide globe of the things rotating around your head.

Collin152
2007-03-31, 05:47 PM
Cast Continual Flame on a dull gray Ioun stone, and you have a hands free light.

Starsinger
2007-03-31, 08:25 PM
Once a DM I had in highschool made a liche whose phylacter was a dull gray ioun stone.