PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Tips for newbies?

Cowboy_ninja
2007-03-31, 02:58 PM
Scrolls are confusing.

-Can i put more than one spell on a scroll? the DMG has a radom roller for how many spells on a singel scroll but nothing on how to MAKE a scroll with more than 1 spell on it.

-I know i can put metamagic spells on a scroll but can i cast it in a standard action?

-I was told something about spell triggers not causeing aops...what qualifies as a spell trigger?

martyboy74
2007-03-31, 03:05 PM
No. Well, not with regular scrolls anyways.

You can't put metamagic on scrolls, on staves (again, this is by RAW).

Usually something that's a standard action, such as reading a scroll, drinking a potion, etc. Continuous or use-activated items don't have them.

P.S. Here's TLN's guide to playing wizards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500). Take a look.

Douglas
2007-03-31, 03:56 PM
Yes. You can put as many spells on a single scroll as it has room for. Each one takes up about a foot of length on an 8.5 inch wide scroll. To make it, just treat each spell you add as a separate scroll. The only difference is that they all end up on the same physical object.

Yes.

Wands are spell trigger items.

kamikasei
2007-03-31, 04:57 PM
Yes. You can put as many spells on a single scroll as it has room for. Each one takes up about a foot of length on an 8.5 inch wide scroll. To make it, just treat each spell you add as a separate scroll. The only difference is that they all end up on the same physical object.

Each separate spell scribed on the one piece of parchment will need to be cast separately, will disappear but leave the others, will in general act like n scrolls stapled together one after the other... correct?

Douglas
2007-03-31, 05:06 PM
Yes. The only difference is that instead of staples holding the sheets together it's actually one sheet.

Collin152
2007-03-31, 05:43 PM
Yes, but note: you are disadvantaged in this way, as only one objecy needs to be stolen to lose it all.

Hallavast
2007-03-31, 05:52 PM
Yes, but note: you are disadvantaged in this way, as only one objecy needs to be stolen to lose it all.
Quite true. The upside to doing this, however, is that if you wish to cast several spells from scrolls in quick succession, you don't have to keep drawing a new scroll from your case.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-03-31, 09:33 PM
Also, a metamagic-modified spell is still a spell. You can put spells on scrolls, so you can put a MM spell on a scroll. Note, though, that an Extended Mage Armor takes a 2nd level slot, and so the scroll charges as though it was a 2nd-level spell, even though it's first level. Likewise, because Empowered Fireball is a 5th-level spell (but 3rd for Globes of Invulnerability and save DCs), you can't put it in a wand. Essentially, a metamagic spell is treated as either its level or its slot's level, whichever is worse for you.

Spell trigger is an activation method for magic items, used by Wands and Staves. You get out of the AoO here because you aren't really casting; note that when you use a scroll, you are casting, so you provoke, and a potion requires that you let your guard down to take a drink, so you provoke.

I second reading TLN's guide, when it comes time to pick spells.