PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Character Background help

Thrathgnar
2015-01-04, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone! Here looking for some input on a new character of mine. I just started my first tabletop RPG last summer (DnD 5e), and I'm changing characters for the first time. I have a basic idea of what I want, but I'd greatly appreciate input from more experienced players!

My character is a half-orc barbarian (beserker archetype) who wields either a greataxe or two battleaxes (haven't decided yet). At first I was going to have him just be insane, but then I realized that I'd rather have a legit roleplay. He has the outlander background, so I was thinking of having him be quiet and reserved outside of battle, but in battle he turns into a beast. Also, the concept of our next campaign is that we are all on an island of exile and have to break out, thats all I know.

As a side note, I'm also DMing a group and I saw people doing journals on here, I was thinking that'd be fun and helpful to get advice from you guys. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Laughingmanlol
2015-01-06, 01:41 PM
Working from the concept and the setting, what about if his exile on the island is self-imposed? Perhaps he killed a loved one during a rage, and so he isolated himself out of shame, or in order to master his frenzies without being a danger to the rest of his tribe, or as a means of punishing himself for his failure to control himself?
That would give a reason for his introspective attitude outside of combat, as well as subverting the usual orc stereotypes, and would set him apart from the rest of the party. As for why he's trying to escape, it could be that he feels he'd learn better with a task to work on, and his success will mark his redemption, or if he's been there for longer he might feel he is now in control and doesn't need to be in there any more.

Thrathgnar
2015-01-06, 06:51 PM
Working from the concept and the setting, what about if his exile on the island is self-imposed? Perhaps he killed a loved one during a rage, and so he isolated himself out of shame, or in order to master his frenzies without being a danger to the rest of his tribe, or as a means of punishing himself for his failure to control himself?
That would give a reason for his introspective attitude outside of combat, as well as subverting the usual orc stereotypes, and would set him apart from the rest of the party. As for why he's trying to escape, it could be that he feels he'd learn better with a task to work on, and his success will mark his redemption, or if he's been there for longer he might feel he is now in control and doesn't need to be in there any more.

I really like this idea. It gives him an interesting inner conflict that he is trying to master. Maybe when he meets the other party members he is intrigued and decides to join them in addition to one of the reasons you mentioned

goto124
2015-01-06, 09:18 PM
Greataxe? He should wield a Pretty Goodaxe.

Thrathgnar
2015-01-06, 09:30 PM
Greataxe? He should wield a Pretty Goodaxe.

Not sure I'm allowed to keep it, but in a one shot he found an anti dragon greataxe named Fluffy