PDA

View Full Version : mundane ways to boost attack bonus

DoctorGlock
2015-01-04, 08:21 PM
Hi yall, in an upcoming game I am playing a swordsage and have run into a wall: at level 7 (6 because of LA) I have a grand total attack bonus of +8. This is enough hit CR 1 enemies 50% of the time, but nothing at all at CR 7+

What are ways for me to increase my to-hit modifier?

Warblade 1/Swordsage 5

Bab +4, dex +4, weapon focus +1 (bonus feat), masterwork weapons +1, TWF -2, yields +8

Using shadow blade for dex to damage, considering swapping for knowledge devotion, weapon finesse.

I can flank for +2, turn invisible for +2, hide in plain sight and leave them flat footed, but the numbers are still rather anemic. How can I make them less so?

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-04, 08:26 PM
It's not mundane, but a potion of reduce person would increase your attack by 2. Get some at CL 1, and other 1st level CL 1 potions, and you might fix your problem. Alternatively, buy wands for the party's casters.

Faily
2015-01-04, 09:18 PM
Likewise, Potions of Bull's Strength/Cat's Grace also helps (or again buy a Wand for the party-caster).

Combat Expertise + Improved Feint could help if you wanted them to be flat-footed (and lose all Dexterity), but it's not that good as it requires a Move Action to do so, leaving you with only one attack... though with the Strikes that only work for one attack anyway, it might be decent. Also consider maneuvers like Sapphire Nightmare Blade and the likes, since it will leave your opponent flat-footed.

Elkad
2015-01-04, 09:21 PM
Only swinging one weapon at hard-to-hit guys is always an option. That's another +2 effectively.

Knock them prone first for +4 while they are on the ground. (Touch attack+Trip check. Via a tripping weapon or Mighty Throw chain of maneuvers).

Get someone to cast Bless, Cats Grace or other boosters on you.

Get them flat-footed so they lose their dex bonus (Win Initiative, have someone cast Grease under them)

Enchant your weapon to a higher bonus.

OldTrees1
2015-01-05, 12:35 AM
Well a warrior character would only have +3 BAB on you. Perhaps stop dual wielding for the time being? That would leave you only 1 behind the warrior character.

JDL
2015-01-05, 01:13 AM
Ways to increase your melee attack roll

Tactical:

Attacker Flanking: +2 (untyped)
Attacker Invisible: +2 (untyped)
Attacker Charging: +2 (untyped)
Attacker on Higher Ground: +1 (untyped)

Magical:
Enhancement Bonus (+1 to +5 weapon)
Strength Bonus (Enhancement or Inherent bonus to Strength)
Dexterity Bonus (Enhancement or Inherent bonus to Dexterity with Weapon Finesse)
Morale Bonus (bardic Inspire Courage, Heroism, Greater Heroism, Bless, Aid, etc)
Luck Bonus (Divine Favor, Prayer, etc)
Size Bonus (Reduce Person)

Ways to lower your opponent's AC

Target Flat-Footed: -Dex mod [accomplished with winning initiative, forcing balance checks, blinded opponent or invisible attacker status]
Target Blinded: -2 (untyped) [does not stack with Invisible]
Target Prone: -4 (untyped) [through Trip attacks]
Target Entangled: -2 (-4 Dexterity) [through use of nets, tanglefoot bags, etc]

The above are just a small list of methods and you should investigate others that may be available for your character. Overcoming high enemy AC is possible though the majority of ways rely on you working with your party members as a team instead of expecting to take on the threat solo. A good player uses his party members just as much as he uses his own character's abilities.

Rubik
2015-01-05, 01:20 AM
How about inflicting status effects? Alchemical items for blindness and entangled, tripping for prone, oil for a Grease effect, and so on?

Seerow
2015-01-05, 01:38 AM
What LA+1 race are you using that you still only have a +4 dex mod as a dex primary character at level 7?

Rubik
2015-01-05, 02:09 AM
And what are your other ability scores? Google the X stat to Y bonus thread.

For instance, one level of factotum will get you +Int to attack for 1 inspiration point. Weapon Finesse will get you +Dex to hit in lieu of +Str. Etc.

Crake
2015-01-05, 02:48 AM
Yeah, dropping the two weapon fighting, maneuver based classes don't really get much out of it to be honest, will net you +2 to hit, getting you up to a total of +10 to hit. I don't know what CR7 monsters you look at, but from a cursory glance at a few, you're looking at around 19-22ish AC, so +10 is still about a 50/50 chance to hit. If you add in flat footed and invisible for +2 to hit, you're gonna be getting pretty damn good chances to hit there.

DoctorGlock
2015-01-05, 09:29 AM
What LA+1 race are you using that you still only have a +4 dex mod as a dex primary character at level 7?

Dark Creature; my rolls were pretty low but the point buy was even lower. I figured being hidden all the time was best for survival.

On the less mundane side someone in the group introduced me to the 'discipline focus weapon' which will give me a +3 whenever i'm in a shadow hand stance, which is always, which alongside the other things noted in the thread saves my bacon.

Thanks y'all.

Darrin
2015-01-05, 10:07 AM
Bloodclaw Master can get rid of the -2 TWF penalty. It's not a full BAB class, but comparable to picking up more levels of Swordsage. Daggers and unarmed strikes satisfy both the Shadow Blade and Superior TWF requirements.

Law Devotion is good for a +3, but only lasts 10 rounds/day. A Cloistered Cleric dip could get you that, Knowledge Devotion, and Travel Devotion all in one fell swoop. This doesn't help your BAB all that much, but being able to reliably move + full attack could get you more attacks, and thus you'll be hitting more often just because you're rolling more.

Knight of the Middle Circle PrC (Defenders of the Faith). 3.0 PrC, but still legal for 3.5 (with some minor adjustments) and it's easy to get into. "Combat Sense" gives you a +2 insight bonus to attack and AC against a single opponent that you designate, similar to choosing who your Dodge bonus applies to. Full BAB and a dabble of some limited Wisdom-based casting.

Hire a trained attack dog to "assist attack" for +2. Guard dogs are 25 GP, training cost is somewhat negligible. Buy a dozen, as they are likely to be one-hit wonders. For more durable assistance, consider a Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a). You could also grab Shape Soulmeld: Soulspark Familiar. Essentially Navi from Legend of Zelda, but it can "aid attack", and if it gets ganked, you can reform it the next day.

Feint's End
2015-01-05, 08:29 PM
Law Devotion is good for a +3, but only lasts 10 rounds/day. A Cloistered Cleric dip could get you that, Knowledge Devotion, and Travel Devotion all in one fell swoop. This doesn't help your BAB all that much, but being able to reliably move + full attack could get you more attacks, and thus you'll be hitting more often just because you're rolling more.

For what it's worth you can trade in only 2 domains for devotion feats so that won't work. It also seems like OP solved the problem already ... discipline weapon is a great enchantment. A cloistered cleric dip is a great idea regardless (if you are playing with fractional bab all the better) and you might want consider it.