PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Dwarf proficiencies.

Darksidebro
2015-01-04, 08:55 PM
Hey everyone, quick question.

I read somewhere on these forums that "Mountain Dwarf Wizards can wear heavy armor." And I go to check their proficiencies in the phb and see that Mountain Dwarves are only proficient with medium and light armors.

Am I missing something here? Maybe some kind of trick or some such that I overlooked?

Any help is appreciated.

SharkForce
2015-01-04, 08:58 PM
well, there are two main possibilities i can think of:

1) they were wrong.

2) they intended it to be a reflection on the relative cost of getting to wear heavy armour for a mountain dwarf wizard as compared to any other single-classed wizard.

(that said, heavy armour proficiency is only worth +1 AC relative to medium, provided you have a decent dex).

Jeraa
2015-01-04, 09:07 PM
Most heavy armors reduce your speed unless you have a certain strength. Dwarves ignore that rule. Mountain dwarf gives you medium armor, then you spend a feat on heavy armor.

That way, you only have to spend 1 feat. With other races, you would need 3 feats (one for each level of armor), plus your speed would be reduced in most armors unless your wizard had a decent Strength score.

Darksidebro
2015-01-04, 11:11 PM
Ah.. So they must've been referring to the ease of attaining heavy armor through Mountain Dwarf proficiencies.. An interesting idea to keep on the backburner. What class/set of abilities could benefit most from Heavy Armor? Pact of the Blade warlock, maybe?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-01-05, 10:37 AM
Combined with Shillelagh, you can turn any caster into melee capable SAD characters. Getting Shillelagh is easier for some than others. The easiest is a dwarf nature cleric. They come with heavy armor already, so hill dwarf is the usual choice.
A lvl 6 lore bard could also pick up the cantrip.
And anyone willing to take the magic initiate feat could pick it, though the text of the feat seems to imply that you'd be forced to rely on WIS if you took it that way.

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-05, 10:40 AM
From the title, I was expecting a thread on proficiency with Mountain Dwarves.

What would be a good build for that?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-01-05, 10:45 AM

If you're proficient with dwarves, you can build a fortress.

Inevitability
2015-01-05, 11:37 AM

Well, dwarves are relatively good options compared to elves or humans (and let's not get started on halflings). While swinging a dragonborn or half-orc around would technically deal more damage, dwarves are smaller, which makes them more easy to use. On top of that, a mountain dwarf is proficient with Medium Armor, which will increase impact but reduce damage to the dwarf himself. One could even try to train the dwarf into readying an action to attack with his battleaxe the moment he hits his enemy, but this is likely to be veto'ed by the DM. And he should do so.

eastmabl
2015-01-05, 11:58 AM

A hill giant proficient in dwarves could get his proficiency bonus for both rock and dwarf tossing.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-05, 02:03 PM
A hill giant proficient in dwarves could get his proficiency bonus for both rock and dwarf tossing.

Isn't there a weapon called the "Dwarven Thrower"?

A stick with a dwarf tied to the end of it. When used you hear a wail of " Ahhhhhhhh" can be heard.

MunkeeGamer
2015-01-05, 03:42 PM

A stick with a dwarf tied to the end of it. When used you hear a wail of " Ahhhhhhhh" can be heard.

This. I like this.

SharkForce
2015-01-05, 04:48 PM
in an earlier edition, there was a cursed weapon called a dwarf thrower. if a dwarf ever tried to throw it, the dwarf would travel along with them :P

(also a non-cursed item called a dwarven thrower, which is what the point of the joke was supposed to be... the dwarven thrower was actually a fairly decent throwing weapon in the hands of a dwarf).

Christian
2015-01-06, 10:37 AM
Combined with Shillelagh, you can turn any caster into melee capable SAD characters. Getting Shillelagh is easier for some than others. The easiest is a dwarf nature cleric. They come with heavy armor already, so hill dwarf is the usual choice.
A lvl 6 lore bard could also pick up the cantrip.
And anyone willing to take the magic initiate feat could pick it, though the text of the feat seems to imply that you'd be forced to rely on WIS if you took it that way.

Warlock, Pact of the Tome. Not sure what I think of a mountain dwarf warlock, though. :)

eastmabl
2015-01-06, 03:39 PM

That's just a wand of polymorph.

Once a Fool
2015-01-06, 04:44 PM
Well, dwarves are relatively good options compared to elves or humans (and let's not get started on halflings). While swinging a dragonborn or half-orc around would technically deal more damage, dwarves are smaller, which makes them more easy to use. On top of that, a mountain dwarf is proficient with Medium Armor, which will increase impact but reduce damage to the dwarf himself. One could even try to train the dwarf into readying an action to attack with his battleaxe the moment he hits his enemy, but this is likely to be veto'ed by the DM. And he should do so.

Hold on, now. Halflings are a perfectly good option for rogues, since they are light, finesse weapons and can be dual-wielded.