PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monkey goblins from pathfinder converted to 5e.

Rfkannen
2015-01-04, 11:02 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/332/2/c/the_monkey_goblin_by_brynnmetheney-d5mgms9.jpg
Directly coppied from the pathfinder inner sea bestiary

Monkey goblins are an offshoot ofthe goblin race adapted
for life in the high leafy canopies of Golarion's tropical
forests. Equipped with ratlike prehensile tails, monkey
goblins are as at home in the trees as they are on the ground.
Monkey goblins lead a savage lifestyle, and many take
levels in the barbarian class, though warriors and fighters
are also common among the race. While spellcasting
classes are almost unheard of among them, monkey goblin
shamans in the service of demon lords or other dark gods
are given a respect by other monkey goblins that borders
on fear.

This was mostly an exercise to try to convert a pathfinder race to 5e.

Ability score increases. Your strength score increases by 1, your dexterity score increases by 2.
Age Monkey goblins live like 70 years (why not)
Alignment Monkey goblins are savages that will kill you on sight. They are neutral evil
Size You are the same size as a goblin, but with a tail. You are small
Speed your base walking speed is 20 feet. Your base climbing speed is 30 feet
Darkvision Thanks to the fact that jungles are dark you have the ability to see in darkness and dimness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can;t discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Acrobatic You have proficiency in stealth and acrobatics.
Fearless You have advantage on saving throws against fear.
Prehensile tail You have a long prehensile tail. It is not strong enough to hold weapons but you can use it to retreve small objects stored on you as a swift action.
Languages You can speak read and wright common and goblin.

What do you think? Is this about right for a 5e race? I don't think Ill play one soon, however I thought it would be cool to see how easy it would be to convert? I wasnt sure about the stat bonuses, because monkey goblins receive +4 dex, -2 int, -2 wis. I saw that the standered one has 15 streangth so I gave them the +1 for that. What do you think?

ThatKreacher
2015-01-06, 07:20 PM
There's a typo under your Ability Score Increases. where you state their strength score is increased by 2, when below you say it's increased by 1!

Other then that, it looks really neat. I definitely want to play one in my upcoming campaign!

Rfkannen
2015-01-06, 07:30 PM
There's a typo under your Ability Score Increases. where you state their strength score is increased by 2, when below you say it's increased by 1!

Other then that, it looks really neat. I definitely want to play one in my upcoming campaign!

You are correct! I did not see that.

Glad you say that!

thoroughlyS
2015-12-19, 04:09 PM
Giving proficiency to skills is more valuable in 5e than it was in 3.5 or Pathfinder. Of the 9 Core races:
The Elf and Half-Orc give proficiency in one specific skill.
The Variant Human gives proficiency in any one skill (as 1/3 of its racial abilities).
And the Half-Elf is the only race to give proficiency in two skills (as like 2/3 of its racial abilities).

I would drop the proficiency to Acrobatics, as the benefits of having a climb speed should cover them for that.

Also, Swift Actions are called Bonus Actions.