PDA

View Full Version : The Necromancer IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-05, 08:41 AM
The rain continues. It's been a couple of days already - not of continous downpour, but of steady, heavy squalls broken by sunshine. You've made a few forays outside, but the terrain remains impassable.

You came here on foot, leaving the horses behind when the terrain became too rugged, and made too treacherous by the rain. You pressed on hard, taking a few calculated risks, hoping that the hard going would deter pursuit. You have picked a valley at random, among many, the rain has deleted all tracks, and the terrain is actively dangerous to travel. As such, you feel safe for the moment.

It's raining again, and you've lit a small fire for the night, in the mouth of the cave. The cave is not too large, going maybe twenty meters deep, but it has a couple of small side chambers. You're a little surprised it shows no signs of previous occupation, neither by men or animals. More surprising, however, is the pillar.

It's just sort of there. To the back of the deepest side chamber - a marble pillar, with a long crack diagonally down it's length, carved with some sort of runic writing that's all but worn away. In front of it is a small, cold pool of dark water. There is absolutely no telling how or why it got to be there.

You may take whatever actions you please, introduce yourselves if you feel the need, look around and so on. Events shall progress in short order.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-05, 06:01 PM
As soon as the fire is lit, Thanat crumbles on the floor's cave, exhausted, sitting and staring in silence towards the flames for a long while, almost folded into himself. He has every reason to be in this sorry state, he broods. However, he is not broken, not quite yet.

"Thank you" he says eventually, addressing the only other person around. He does not know the man's name. "Had I been on my own, I would never have made it. In fact, I would never have tried in the first place: you see, I had given up already. But you had not, and that set us both free. So, again" finished Thanat, raising with effort from the stone floor and bowing deeply to the man in front of him "thank you."

Thanat seems to have said his piece, but then adds hurriedly "Oh, right! By the way, my name is Thanat, and I am a wizard."

[...]

Two day have passed since they entered and explored the cave. Thanat has used a little of that time studying the strange pillar in the side room. While not a sage by trade, he considers himself a learned man, and with little better to do he has tried to see if there is anything to be gained from it. They all have heard the stories of great treasures hidden in the wilds, after all...

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]
Not sure if any of these might help... :smallsmile:

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-05, 06:23 PM
As soon as the fire is lit, Thanat crumbles on the floor's cave, exhausted, sitting and staring in silence towards the flames for a long while, almost folded into himself. He has every reason to be in this sorry state, he broods. However, he is not broken, not quite yet.

"Thank you" he says eventually, addressing the only other person around. He does not know the man's name. "Had I been on my own, I would never have made it. In fact, I would never have tried in the first place: you see, I had given up already. But you had not, and that set us both free. So, again" finished Thanat, raising with effort from the stone floor and bowing deeply to the man in front of him "thank you."

Thanat seems to have said his piece, but then adds hurriedly "Oh, right! By the way, my name is Thanat, and I am a wizard."

[...]

Two day have passed since they entered and explored the cave. Thanat has used a little of that time studying the strange pillar in the side room. While not a sage by trade, he considers himself a learned man, and with little better to do he has tried to see if there is anything to be gained from it. They all have heard the stories of great treasures hidden in the wilds, after all...

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]
Not sure if any of these might help... :smallsmile:

Hands gently tracing the carvings, Thanat mumbles to himself as he studies the pillar.

'... not religious in nature. No actual spell runes.'

'... although these geometric shapes seem to hint at something arcane. Lines of force, and ...'

'This part is almost like ... the ancient Etruvian tongue. If so, this could mean "Speaker", and that, "To Rest".

'... "Year Of The" .... what, scorpion lion? Lion scorpion?'

As I hope is obvious, you learn fairly little. You feel you can rule out any religious connection, and there are no actual magical glyphs on the pillar. The context hints at something magical though, but even with a near perfect Decipher Script roll, all you get are glimmerings. However .... the Etruvian Dominion is a thousand years in the grave, and at best, this language is far older.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-06, 02:40 PM
No other actions from either for now?

Updating first thing tomorrow. So you have just a breath of time before .... well, just before.

The Bureau
2015-01-07, 02:36 PM
Zheng takes a spot by the fire, inwardly exhausted but easily capable of keeping that exhaustion to himself. He knew little of the man he had fled with, but he knew enough to see a man who needed help.
"Your thanks is not needed, Thanat. I did what any man would have done, I helped." He smiles and holds his hands to the fire "You looked like you needed it." Breathing for a moment he re-center's himself, "As you gave me your name, my own is Zheng. Envoy of the Raven Queen."

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-08, 09:41 AM
As you both look around the cave, engaged in light conversation, you're both startled by a strong 'flap!' noise from the entrance. You look up in time to see a man beat the worst of the rain out of his cloak, and hang in on the rocks by the fire. Clad in full plate, embossed and inlaid with gold and silver, he has a tripple crest on his chest: The church, the King and some regional family coat you fail to recognize.

"Good evening to you gentlemen - in case you fail to recall, I am Ardvil Clavourne. I have come, of course, to bring you in. I ask that you don't make this any harder for all of us than it has to be. You can come honorably - or force me to bring you in, as the poster reads, 'dead or alive', og any variation between the two."

His weapons remain sheathed, but his gauntlets look menacing enough. He radiates supreme confidence - that there are two of you seems to make little difference to him.

This is in 'story telling mode'. No rolls for initiative yet - though you're welcome to react as you please. Just be warned that ... for now, he's not vulnerable in any meaningful way. I know that's considered rail roading, but bear with me - it's not for very long at all, and all for a purpose.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-08, 02:07 PM
Thanat exits the pillar room and his spirit sinks at the sight of the man. He does not attack right away, but exchanges a questioning look with Zhang. What do we do now? he asks himself.
"Right. We were waiting for the rain to lighten up. How about you do the same as we discuss this?" he tries, as a way to fill the silence in the meantime.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-08, 02:30 PM
Ardvil looks out of the cave entrance at the pouring rain.

"I have no hurry to be off - but make no mistake: I have no interest in the question of your guilt or innocense. I serve the law, and the law requires you to stand trial. This I shall see done.

You know - you very nearly made it off? We were twenty men: Constabulary, guardsmen, the sherifs outriders, and myself. Everyone else gave up. The rain, the terrain, the distance from hearth and loved ones.

But I'm not like those men. I will see justice done, and the comforts of home have worth to me only when my job is done."

There is pride in his voice, and steel in his eyes.

The Bureau
2015-01-08, 09:43 PM
Zheng stood, his eye catching those of Thanat, a mirrored expression on his face. Holding his hand's up in a gesture of peace he took a step closer.
"Greetings Ser Clavourne, I am Zheng, Envoy of the Raven Queen." No point in trying to lie here, the rains almost seemed fortuitous now.
"Pray, come to the fire, armor and rain mix well rarely. As you say, the comforts of home may keep for some, but those such as us will seek what comforts we can." He gestures once more with an open palm to the flames, "I seek no conflict here, 'tis not my way. Nor that of the man I stand beside."

iTookUrNick
2015-01-09, 01:17 PM
"Indeed" remarks Thanat "though it made little difference in the end"

"As for me, I'll be looking over that thing. I am convinced it is more than mere decor. Call it a dying man last hope, if you wish"

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-10, 11:31 AM
Ardvil removes two sets of manacles from his pack - drops them on the ground.

No objections to doing this without conflict. And by all means - lets eat and enjoy the fire. But on the morrow, we start the return trip to Madripor.

What thing is Thanat going over - the pillar? Go ahead. Gimme rolls, or questions, or ... what comes to mind.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-10, 03:14 PM
Thanat sighs, half resigned. While he has no intention of harming the man, he is not quite sure he'll just go back meekly to the slaughter...
He returns to the small chamber where the pillar is and cast a spell: DETECT MAGIC. He concentrates, thinking that if nothing comes up he will do the same toward their would-be captor: it would not be unthinkable for the man to have magical aids.
Well, the one question is: what do you mean railroad? If have a particular path you wish us to take, please do let us know.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-10, 04:04 PM
The pillar is not magical in any way. That, however, does not necessarily mean it never was.

You turn, and scan Ardvil. He has several magical auras. Mind, this is E6. All magic is powerful. Regardless, most of the auras are relatively weak when compared to that of his sword.

The railroading I speak of is this: Eventually, you will either fight him, or return to Madripor in chains. Either option is open. And rail roading will be a thing until I call for initiative. Don't worry, though =)

The Bureau
2015-01-10, 07:21 PM
Zheng retakes his position by the fire, mind racing with ideas of escape. But the obvious came first.
"I am glad to hear... Pray tell Ser Clavourne, what exactly are our crimes? What have you been told of us?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-11, 12:33 AM
I know not your crimes, Master Zheng - I know of which you stand accused. Two counts of murder. The question of guilt is not for me to decide. I have merely been tasked with bringing you to court, and that is what I intend.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-11, 11:35 AM
The pillar's lack of auras is disheartening but far from unexpected. The opposite is true for Ardvil: the man must be carrying around more magic items than some magical emporiums...
"I do not know what my fellow escapee stands accused of, but I was a magistrate and I know enough of my colleagues and my fellow citizens not to expect any justice to be doled out on my behalf..." says Thanat wearily.
Without hurry, he reaches down and dips a cupped hand in the pool at the front of the pillar. His alchemy trainers made it clear it is never a safe practice to do so, but he tries a sip: maybe some of the pillar's magic, if ever there was any, has seeped down into the pool...

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-11, 12:27 PM
The water is slightly metallic in taste, propably from a natural metal content in the rocks. It seems to do nothing in particular for you.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-13, 03:54 PM
With another sigh, Thanat returns to his things. e takes a small piece of paper and scribbles a note: "If you ever feel like trying to escape this man, or fight him, give me a sign: I will stand by your decision, for i am too mentally exhausted to take any kind of initiative".
H gives the note to Zhang, then goes to sit somewhere else in the cave, waiting for the rain to stop or for something else to happen.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-13, 05:22 PM
The barest sliver of a whisper - heard only by Thanat:

I can help. There is precious little here for me to work with - but I can try. If you will but allow me?

The Bureau
2015-01-13, 09:19 PM
Zheng sighs upon hearing the "bounty-hunter's" words, frustration noticeable. "I understand, but neither of us have taken a life. What proof is held to warrant our arrest?" He meets Clavourne's eye as he speaks, showing as little hostility as possible. He takes the note and brings it to eye level, quickly reading before blowing his nose in it.
"Thank you milord." he mutters glancing at Thanat, his eyes flashing to his hand which makes a quick negating motion.
"Ser Clavourne, if the law means I must return then I will do so. But know this man has committed no crime."

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-14, 03:19 AM
Master Zheng - this warrant for your arrest is all the proof required ... for your arrest. What proof there may be of your crimes is another matter, that is for the court. For now, know simply that it is my duty and my intention to return you to Madripor.

He shows you the warrant he holds, to lend additional weight to his words.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-14, 01:36 PM
Still lying propped against the cave wall, Thanat replies: "So you will wash your hands of our fate, even though you might have given us a chance at Justice? Let me warn you: those who look too closely at the letter of the Law often miss its true intent.
But I feel there is no point in arguing about this any further: clearly our positions will never converge. More importantly, you are much better equipped to drive your point home than we are.

I will only add this: I seek Justice for the munder of my family. I would do anything in my power, I would strike any bargain and go to any length, to be granted my wish."

Obviously, I am also answering the voice with my last sentence.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-14, 07:40 PM
Your chance at justice is in the hands of the court of Madripor. Justice cannot be held separate from law. And the law demands you stand trial - to be sentenced or aquitted.

Also, law cannot have intent. Law is law. It simply is.

And as he speaks ...

So little to work with. The spirits are weak, broken, fading things - but maybe ... yes, how about this ......

There is a buzzing, barely heard. A thin mist seems to veil the floor. These things are only just inside the margins of being noticable - Ardvil seems to miss them completely, his attention focussed on you guys.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-15, 06:21 PM
"But that is not true. Law is a construct of our society, it is flawed as the men who made it and is constantly changing and evolving to suit the needs of the moment. Every law that has ever been made was thought with a purpose in mind, with a varying degree of specificity. And, sometimes, it is simply inadequate." responds, Thanat, trying to keep the man's attention occupied. He does not know what is going on, and he watches intently, hoping for a clue. He risks a glance at Zhang to see if he is seeing that mist forming as well. "That is why men should ever be vigilant that the moral Law should not be trumped by the written one."

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-15, 06:39 PM
The law is perfect in form, in principle. Law brings order to what would otherwise be chaos. Law gives us all directions to live by, it helps us guide our lives, it gives us direction, and security, and certainty. It is not the aim or intent of the law that makes it perfect - it is it's very function: To give direction where before there was none.

Ardvil speaks with conviction. He has no doubt. You even feel it, yourselves - this mans deep rooted belief that without laws, we'd all be lost. Headless chickens, running around at random.

In time, I shall gather the host at your side, Lord - but for now, this is all I can do.

As the unseen speaker finishes, they gather. In the way they swarm and buzz and fly to and fro seemingly at random, they are like locusts. In every other way ... well, they are the broken shards of souls, they are random memories of loss and despair, of pain and suffering, of longing and regret. Each tiny sliver of darkness that erupts from the ground is a single painful experience or recollection of some poor soul long dead and forgotten.

They are without number. They are terrible in their utter hunger, their focus. They tear into Ardvil, and Ardvil screams, the wailing, incoherent screams of one whose fear is equal to his sanity.

Roll initiative.

Ardvil: [roll0]

The Bureau
2015-01-15, 08:22 PM
(Sorry hellish week so far)

initiative [roll0]

Zhang springs from the ground, putting himself between whatever arises and Thanat.

"By the Queen!" is all he manages, shock taking presidence over thought.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-16, 01:23 AM
[roll0]
"This is our chance!" says Thanat, looking with a mixture of horror and fascination at what is happening.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-17, 07:51 AM
Zheng goes first.

He's called Zheng, right? Wasn't he called Zheng last I checked?!

The Bureau
2015-01-17, 07:26 PM
It is indeed Zheng

"What's going on!" He turns his head to Thanat, "Run Milord!" his eye's dart back to the bounty hunter and internally he curses as he leaps forward to grab the man, no-one deserved the fate he was to receive.

What roll should I make?

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-18, 12:09 PM
What result are you looking for?

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-21, 04:57 AM
If you want to help Ardvil - he's being assaulted by a Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm). If Ardvil was a luckier kind of guy, it would have been a crawling swarm - but it isn't, and so he cannot outrun it. He can try and fight it, and you can try to help him.

Other than that, the options are few. The Swarm has the Undead subtype, obviously, so ... if there was a source of holy water somewhere, that might help.

Watch him cower, Lord, as we assail him. None may stand against us, Lord, when our strength is gathered and the Host is assembled. This one will soon fall, and all who oppose us with him!

iTookUrNick
2015-01-21, 01:07 PM
"Get back, Zheng!" warns Thanat as he sees the other man moving to help. The wizard himself stands transfixed by what is happening in front of him. he is no warmage, and none of the spells he knows would help in situation like this.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-22, 06:47 AM
The swarm lashes out at Ardvil. They are void, little packages of nothing-left-of-what-or-who-they-were-except-pain-and-misery. They are not evil - they are not equipped for neither will nor intent, then have nothing but their pain and the instinctive desire to lash out. They long only for a release they cannot know how to achieve.

Blood seeps from dozens of tiny wounds, and the 'paladin' - or whatever - decides to try his sword. He draws the blade and swings mightily, achiving as little in this way as he did with his attempt to turn undead. He screams again, frustration and pain mixed with fear and anger.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-28, 01:38 AM
Bureau? You here? Anything you want to add?

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-30, 03:55 PM
Go ahead and take Thanats turn. Zheng will have to catch up if he wants to.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-30, 06:17 PM
Thanat musters enough courage to try a spell on Ardvil. He casts Reduce person on the man, hoping to slow him down, then retreats toward the exit.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-30, 06:44 PM
Thanat musters enough courage to try a spell on Ardvil. He casts Reduce person on the man, hoping to slow him down, then retreats toward the exit.

Thanat invokes his magic, trying to transmute the knight to a more manageable size - but against the iron will of Ardvil, it's to little effect.

Did you conjure this vileness, wizard? I may not live to see the morning - but neither shall you.

Ardvil rushes forward, drawing his sword. He swings it in a huge circle, with terrifying force - easily enough to cut the meek wizard in half.

Attack: [roll0] - he smites, but Thanat isn't evil.
Damage: [roll1] - in principle, his sword - Justice - adds 2d6 damage to law breakers ... but Thanat is innocent of all charges. So. Tough.

Lets just see how that turns out. He can easily cut down Thanat in a single blow - but he's not going to. But I wont fudge unless I have to.

Edit: He takes a -2 on attack and damage, which serves to put Thanat at 1 hp.

There is ... it's a scream, of mighty and desperate effort, but it's weak, as if heard through many walls, or over great distance.

AAAaaiiiggh! I cannot .... hold him back, Lord. I can soften his blows somewhat, but I am weak. You must finish him.

What ever force summoned the swarm is struggeling, but manages to keep Thanat breathing. For now.

The swarm never relents. It's host of tiny wraithlings rip and tear. Many wounds - so many - cover poor Ardvils skin, and blood slowly covers him from head to toe. Still he stands - but he is not long for this world.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-31, 02:07 AM
Thanat scream of agony matches the one of the mysterious entity as he feels the sword cut deep into his flesh. He does his best to complete the spell while keeping an eye on Ardvil's sword.Obscuring mist. Thanat steps away as the fog envelopes everything around the pair.

[roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-31, 03:19 AM
In an instant, everything is lost in the haze. Or ... everything perceived by the eyes, at least. The sounds are still there, the screams, the sword blows, the wet meaty sounds of grievous wounds inflicted.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-31, 04:22 AM
Thanat retreats to one of the cave walls. There is nothing left for him to do, one way or the other. He whispers, his voice too soft even for his own ears to perceive: "I... thank you, I suppose..." He trembles, both because of the pain of the wound and the screams of the paladin. "I am about to flee, but I keep my word when I can: what would you have of me for the help you gave me?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-31, 04:50 AM
For myself, I want nothing. I am the herald. I serve. I command the Host on your behalf. Where you go, I go. Whatever your goals are, they are mine too. Your enemies shall be laid to waste, Lord. None shall stand against us.

As the herald speaks, the struggles of Ardvil grow weaker. Finally, you hear him whisper:

Never untrue. Never unjust. This fight is lost, and it was my last. I go willingly to mechanus.

There is a wet sort of crunch, as the big man, clad in full plate, crashes to the floor, splashing blood everywhere.

See now, my Lord. The Host grows. I shall ... recruit this one. He is yours, for eternity. Loyal without question. Brave without fail.

As the mist clears, you see how Ardvils soul is torn from his broken body. He thrashes and wails, struggles to free himself - but it's no use. He fades into the ethereal, some sort of undead spirit now.

... ends the tutorial. The world is at your feet. You have two units at your disposal, Fury and Despair. To summon them is a free action - since you really just inform the herald what you want, and he does all the actual work.

Fury is the swarm. I'll give you some sort of stats for it.
Despair is what has become of poor Ardvil. He is a simple melee combatant, but is surrounded by an aura of - you guessed it - despair, and all enemies around him suffer a morale penalty to saves and skill checks of -2.
And finally, the herald can curse a single combatant with -2 to attack and damage.

Such is the power of the Necromancer.

Where do you wish to go.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-31, 05:30 AM
Tutorial... :smallbiggrin:

Btw, is there a body left?

"Me? Why me?". The question comes forth on its own, without thinking. Thanat considers himself a decent man, but not a great one. He can't think of anything he did to be granted such power. Such dreadful power too... He's never even thought of anyone as his enemy, though those responsible for his family's murder would certainly qualify...

"One question... about Ardvil. He's not... it's not really him, is it?" he leaves the implications unsaid, not daring to hope.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-31, 05:39 AM
Did you ever observe a flock of birds, Lord? And wonder why one bird decides to change direction, and all the rest follow? Speculate on the pattern behind it?

I am just the herald. I know that you are the Necromancer. I do not know why, any more than a bridge knows the destinations of the carts passing over it.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-31, 07:19 AM
In fact, Thanat never speculated on the flight of birds before, but it is clear enough he will not get a proper answer just by asking.

Necromancer... the Herald calls him such, even if he does not actually know a single spell of that school. And yet it seems that he can wield a power beyond that of the masters of the academy. A power fit for one of the tales of old. The thought makes Thanat feel a bit of a cheat.

I know the tales - he thinks - and I will not make a classic mistake. I will be cautious with my power, and use it for a righteous cause. Vengeance counts as a righteous cause, right? he can only hope.

"All right, let's go. Follow me." says to the thin air.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-31, 07:52 AM
My thinking on the topic of intelligent undead is this:

Becoming undead is never a good thing. There are no perks. No one in their right mind would ever willingly become undead. No, not liches either. No, also not vampires.

Undead are not complete souls. They are stripped down, reduced. All that remains is everything negative they ever felt - all the pain, and the longing, and the loss, the anger and the hate and spite and jealousy.

This is why undead act as they do. They lack all the things that make us human, all the compassion and empathy and love. They also, generally, lack ambition. You do not get vampire warlords trying to take over the worlds - you get vampires lusting, thirsting, longing, suffering. In vain, of course. Their desires cannot be fulfilled.

There is no such thing as a 'free willed' undead. Sure, they may make their own choices and decisions - but only inside the framework of what is left to them.

Anywhere you go Lord, I'm there at your side. Lead on.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-31, 10:43 AM
That's good to know. And quite fitting for a darker setting. I like it a lot.

Anything left inside the cave that i could use? Do I have provisions? Can you remind me what's around? If needed, I have a1 rank and a +4 total modifier in geography... :smallsmile:
It's one thing to be decisive, quite another to have a plan. Thanat stops on the entrance of the cave, his gaze lost outward as he thinks about his next move.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-31, 10:47 AM
As the fight just ended, a curtain of unceasing downpour lies just beyond the cave entrance.

Inside, things are ... dry, but maybe not what might be considered hospitable. In the mist, Thanat managed to evade Ardvil - but Zheng was not so lucky. The two men both lie dead, their equipment scattered around them ((and I'll need to check Zhengs sheet to remember what he had)). Ardvils cloak remains where he left it, by the entrance. His packs are on the floor, and his great blade lies beside him.

Actually, there is only one bit of good news: The fire still burns.

Should he pop in, his wounds will turn out to be less than fatal. Otherwise I'll assume we lost him, and Ardvil took him down with his last breath.

iTookUrNick
2015-01-31, 02:30 PM
Seems fair.
Thanat stands at the cave's entrance. The pouring rain seems to wash away the pain and anxiety from his mind. Just a little, but it is something.
The first order of business is collecting anything useful from the cave, he thinks. That sounds better than 'looting corpses'. Then, the bodies of the fallen will have to be... composed... and sent off to rest... The usual ceremonies seems a bit hollow now. The last step for the moment will be choosing a destination. It will not be easy: he cannot go back to Madripor, but he's never been anywhere else. Heck, if it weren't for Zheng he would not have made it this far.
He focuses back on the rain: he is not keen on getting soaking wet once again. Before leaving, it might be a good idea to refresh spells and summon a familiar.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-31, 07:00 PM
Zheng had 18 gold on him, and a kama. He has a small pack containing one days worth of food, a healing kit, a vial of anti toxin, some candles and little else of value.

Ardvil had his full plate, his greatsword, a scroll case with various papers, 251 gold in various currencies, a potion of cure moderate wounds, an elaborate holy symbol, a small icon on a chain around his neck, and the cloak hanging by the door. He also had a pack which sports several days worth of quality rations, a more than decent wine, water, a water proofed tent, and a bed roll.

Other than that, the cave is as empty as you found it.

And the city is called Madripor.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-01, 06:36 AM
Right, Madripr. Names are not my strong suit.
[roll0] for a clue about the magic item function.
Thanat strips the cave of valuables and useful items: he pockets gold, the potion, rations and survival gear. He takes the paladin's magic items and studies them carefully, including the papers. He thinks about burning the bodies, but then decides to simply pull them in a corner in the most dignified position he can manage.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-01, 07:22 AM
The scrolls are authorizations, identification, warrants, and so forth - the paraphernalia of an agent of the law. He was recognized by crown, church and his home fief as a hunter of criminals, with the license to arrest even nobles. This wasn't just any guy.

Thanat bundles together all he can manage (and please check for encumbrance), and gets ready to head out once he's slept, and the weather has cleared.

Knowledge checks, in my book, are enough to identify magic items. The Identify spell is just a quicker way of doing it.

Justice - the greatsword - is +1, and adds 2d6 damage to law breakers. In case you're wondering, in an E6 world, that's extremely powerful.

His full plate is +1.

The cloak has a minor enchantment, warding off foul weather - sort of like Endure Elements, but with the additional benefit of keeping the wearer dry in heavy rain.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-01, 12:09 PM
The cloak is indeed a pleasant surprise for Thanat, who dons it immediately. However, it is immediately clear that he will not be able to carry most of the rest. He wraps the plate with the wine, the tent and bedroll in a corner, thinking 'So this is how lost treasures are made...'.
He consider the sword, an item of great power and monetary value. It would make sense to keep it, even if he has no idea on how to wield it properly. At the same time, someone might recognize it and realize it does not belong with him...
A thought strikes Thanat: he will need to return to his city eventually, and get justice for his family's murder. What better cover than the one of a known hunter of criminals?
Of course, he will need a good disguise. A magical one, possibly. He knows there are ways to change one's own appearance at will, though he does not know how himself. He will also knows he will need a lot of practice to pull off something like that. And after he does, there will still be a murder to solve. It might not be the best plan, but it is a plan nonetheless: Thanat experience a tinge of anticipation as he delves into its details. As he does so, he goes back to the fallen paladin and takes what is left to begin his disguise. The papers are the most important piece, obviously, but the jewelry comes right after and even some of the clothes might fit with a few adjustments... He also cuts off a few strands of hair: you never know what sort of focus one might need for a good magical disguise.
Regarding the familiar, do you have any indication on how to get one? I feel the bat might be the best choice thematically, and I'd like to have it at hand sooner rather than later.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-01, 12:30 PM
The cloak is indeed a pleasant surprise for Thanat, who dons it immediately. However, it is immediately clear that he will not be able to carry most of the rest. He wraps the plate with the wine, the tent and bedroll in a corner, thinking 'So this is how lost treasures are made...'.
He consider the sword, an item of great power and monetary value. It would make sense to keep it, even if he has no idea on how to wield it properly. At the same time, someone might recognize it and realize it does not belong with him...
A thought strikes Thanat: he will need to return to his city eventually, and get justice for his family's murder. What better cover than the one of a known hunter of criminals?
Of course, he will need a good disguise. A magical one, possibly. He knows there are ways to change one's own appearance at will, though he does not know how himself. He will also knows he will need a lot of practice to pull off something like that. And after he does, there will still be a murder to solve. It might not be the best plan, but it is a plan nonetheless: Thanat experience a tinge of anticipation as he delves into its details. As he does so, he goes back to the fallen paladin and takes what is left to begin his disguise. The papers are the most important piece, obviously, but the jewelry comes right after and even some of the clothes might fit with a few adjustments... He also cuts off a few strands of hair: you never know what sort of focus one might need for a good magical disguise.
Regarding the familiar, do you have any indication on how to get one? I feel the bat might be the best choice thematically, and I'd like to have it at hand sooner rather than later.

... are summoned. In the way described in PhB. There's nothing stopping you from casting the ritual right here in the cave.

You can give me a knowledge arcane roll though, if you like =D

iTookUrNick
2015-02-01, 12:50 PM
Havin taken care of things, Thanat eventually sits down at the fire. He wasn't cold or anything, thanks to the cloak (something he could really get used to after the last few days), but that's what humans do by instinct. He decides to take the time and summon a familiar. He learned the ritual asa student, but never bothered with it. Now, he realizes it might be handy to have an extra pair of eyes. And ears. Someone who might access places he cannot. He sends forth a call for a kindred spirit.
[roll0]. On second thought, I'll go with a raven. Even more thematically appropriate... :smallsmile:
Edit: yikes, bad roll...

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-01, 01:42 PM
The ritual involves the drawing of magical circles, the lighting of candles, the recitation of formulae and the invocation of ancient names. It doesn't occur to Thanat that the spirits of this place might be slightly ... different, affected, tainted perhaps by forces beyond mortal ken.

And of course the herald doesn't pipe in until the very last. Just as Thanat is finishing his ritual, there it is - the whispered voice, at the very edge of hearing:

A familiar, Lord. But of course. I can help.

There is the slightest rising note to the voice. Like a smile.

Is a raven.

Boo!

iTookUrNick
2015-02-01, 02:30 PM
Thanat looks at the bird as it watches back with human-like intelligence, perched atop an outcrop just inside the entrance to the cave. As he's never done this before, he is unsure on how to address the creature. However, he knows he is supposed to give it a name...

"Well met, kindred spirit. I call you forth in my hour of need: you will obey me and help me on my journey, and I shall continue to provide you with the means to exist in your current form. I am Thanat, and I will henceforth refer to you as... hum... Blackwing". No points for originality, but then originality is quite discouraged when performing ancient rituals...

That said, Thanat shoulders his pack and offer one side for the bird to perch upon, meaning to head out in the wild. The first order of business, according to the Plan, is to find a way to disguise himself. He tries to ask the only other entity that might hear him: "Herald, I need a disguise. I know there are spells and magical items in existence that can do that. Do you know how to find either outside of Madripor?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-01, 02:35 PM
The bird spreads it's wings in response. It flickers ethereally, droplets of shadow falling from it's feathers. You feel it's happy with it's name.

I know a great many things, Lord - but I have not been outside this cave for a long while. I know not how to help in this regard.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-01, 03:49 PM
"No matter. We'll ask around. There are people living outside the city. Not many, but some... They might have what we need, or know where to find it."
[roll0] to see what I know myself of the world

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-01, 04:08 PM
You can travel in each of the compas directions. South is tricky though - that's the direction of Madripor, and there might still be bounty hunters down on the plains.

To the east are frontier lands, settled areas and farms fighting tooth and nail for land and ressources against gnolls and orks, as well as nature generally being reluctant to let itself be tamed.

To the west are moors, a sort of wet desert. You know very little of the moors except they are inhospitable and very low population. Rumours speak of witches and monsters.

North lie the mountains. Hard terrain, very cold if you go high enough. There is stuff up there you know - but what knowledge you have is hazy and unprecise: There are mines, mountain strongholds ... elves? You're not sure.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-01, 04:29 PM
Thanat examines his options: South is out of the question at the moment, and he feels unprepared to go west just yet. That leaves the northern mountains and the eastern plains. Of those two, he feels the plains might be his best bet. He starts to walk in that direction.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-01, 04:55 PM
It is morning as Thanat leaves the cave, heading east for the frontier towns. In sharp contrast to the night before, the rain has stopped, and the last clouds are being chased off, revealing blue sky, and varm sunlight.

Several times that day Thanat meets streams swollen with the downpour, but each time he finds a spot to cross. He makes it away from the foothills of the mountains, and down onto the plains. Rolling hills surround him, wild and untamed land without roads or landmarks. He sets off along the chain of the mountains, walking all day long without meeting a living soul.

As the sun drops towards the horizon, he finds a spot to camp. There is a small stream for water, shelter in the form of a lonely, huge tree with a tight canopy, and some tinder for which he summons a brief flare of magic to light a fire.

As the light fades, Thanat spots a slight glow, many miles to the southeast.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-01, 05:02 PM
The glow looks promising, but too far to check out during the night. Thanat resolves to investigate it the following morning. Not having much of a choice, he wraps himself in his cloak and goes to sleep. "Watch over me, please"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-01, 05:06 PM
Always, Lord!

As the herald speaks, Despair fades into view, accompanied by a drop in temperature and a long, wailing, hopeless wail. Then, the shade or Ardvil stands before you.

I shall guard you, he intones, flat and infectionless voice. He takes a few steps away from the fire, and the temperature rises to normal again.

... nothing happens. You awaken the next morning, and watch as Despair fades with the first light.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-02, 01:13 AM
After a little preparation, Thanat resumes his march. He aims for the place where he saw something glow the previous night.
Obviously, posts will be less frequent on workdays.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-02, 04:02 AM
It's many miles to the town you spotted last night, but after just a few hours of walking, farms begin to dot the land. They are obviously designed to be defensible, and for obvious reasons - you pass more than one that has suffered damage, one even burned down. This is a hostile land.

It's into the afternoon when you crest a rise and see the town in the distance. At the same time, a group of riders see you, and ride towards you.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-02, 03:03 PM
Thanat waits patiently for the riders to come to him, his hands empty, hoping for them to be human and friendly. Or non-hostile, at least.
He looks carefully as they advance, looking for early signs of aggression or clues about their origin.
[roll0], looking for anything that might be useful.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-02, 03:54 PM
They number six, one of them clearly a sergeant or similar. They are in rather piecemeal armor, but it's clear that someone made at least a half hearted effort to make them seem uniform. They all wear red and black, and the sergeant has a surcoat sporting what you assume is wheat, a plowshear and a cowhorn, all against the ankh of the gods.

The sergeant speaks as they close with you, coming up to a couple of yards without any sign of threat.

Hail, stranger. My name is Ranold, and I'm ... well, I have the honor to command the fine militia of Mountainshade. And right now, I'm slightly confused. You see, no one ever comes here ... you know, unannounced, or alone, or from the direction you're coming.

So begging your pardon sir, it seems I shall have to enquire to your business and so forth.

Ranold is of middling years, of unimpressive build even if he seems fit, and has kind, intelligent eyes. He sports a mustache a sea captain would be proud of, and has an array of useful implements about his person, most of them of use to a gamesman or tracker. They would also be quite servicable for killing, most of them.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-02, 06:19 PM
"Well met, Roland of Mountainshade. I confess I am relieved to find you and your band of horsemen helping to keep the countryside secure. You seem the insightful type, and you are quite right to question me. I come from Madripor, though not directly, and I am a man of the law. Specifically, I made it my business to investigate a wicked crime and bring the culprit, or culprits, to justice.
However, I am missing some key elements I need to pursue my goal, and I've come this way to see if I can find them. In the meantime, I am at your service. I am trained in the arcane arts, and I would be more than willing to lend a hand when I can."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-02, 06:24 PM
It's Ranold, actually. Common enough mistake. It ... seem to have not caught your name, sir?

iTookUrNick
2015-02-03, 01:18 AM
Quick question: if I say something along the lines of "You can call me Ardvil", do I need to make a bluff check?

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-03, 03:06 AM
Quick question: if I say something along the lines of "You can call me Ardvil", do I need to make a bluff check?

Stating a name other than the real one doesn't need a check. Chosing the name of a famous hero might be dangerous for other reasons, however.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-03, 03:17 AM
yeah, I thought about that, and I am not thrilled at the prospect.

A quick follow-up question then: are those papers personal? Or are they a more generic "whoever holds this..." sort of thing?

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-03, 03:36 AM
They are personal. By Royal Edict, witnessed by the High Magister, the Court Supreme and the High Bishop, Ardvil Clavourne is given right of .... and so on and so forth.

Now, if you knew a clever thief ...

iTookUrNick
2015-02-03, 05:06 PM
Of course, Ranold of Mountainshade: my apologies. You can call me Alastor if you like.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-03, 06:15 PM
Well, Alastor, welcome to Mountainshade. And a dappler in the arcane, no less? A rare breed. A rare breed indeed. Sir, if I might recommend you take a room at the Stout, I might drop by this evening for a brief chat. About the usual, you know - no summoning of demons, raisings of the dead, stealing of the minds of ones fellow man and so on and so forth. Mere formality, you know. He smiles, indicating that he's joking. Mostly. You think.

And with that, the men continue their patrol (unless you have some parting remark).

It's a couple of hours still to the town. You'll be arriving in the late afternoon. From this distance, you estimate it's a township of a couple of thousand souls. It has wooden palisades flanked by stone towers, and with the outlying farms, this place might total from three to five thousand.

And it even has a kinda-sorta uniformed militia. Hardly provincial at all =)

iTookUrNick
2015-02-04, 01:37 AM
"Of course, the usual. I understand" says Thanat wit ha a small bow. He waits for the patrol to move before resuming his journey.

The town looks quiet enough, though hardly a treasure trove of arcane knowledge. He plans to have a decent tour of its 'attractions' (that shouldn't take too long) before getting room where Ranold said.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-07, 04:57 AM
Thanat reaches Mountainshade without incident. The walls, while timber rather than stone, are stout, and actually manned - if lightly. He's hailed at the gate, but asked merely for name and business before being let through.

The town is definitely rural - a mix of stone and Wood, but surprisingly the main roads are paved, the market seems to be thriving, and there are numerous shops and small industries. In part, this is only logical: The land is dangerous, and a place such as this needs to be self sustaining. So most anything made from leather, Wood or stone is produced locally. There is a smithy too - but it's silent currently.

The Golden Stout, the tavern recommended by Ranold, is a large stone Building right on the town square. It shares this prestigious location with the town hall, a small temple to the gods, something called the Mountainshade Combine by the sign above the door, a small wooden Building with the label of Guild of Porters and Laborers.

People on the streets nod and smile, and take general curious interest in the strange newcomer.

Let me know if I should Progress the time until evening - or you have ambitions prior to that.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-07, 06:36 AM
Thanat takes everything in. To him, this looks like a good place to hide, lay low, and start over, but not quite what he was looking for when he set out to further his main goal. Still, it's never a waste of time to ask around for unusual pieces of gossip. He's never done it himself, but he's heard that taverns are a good place to start; he'll probably chat a few people up this evening. In the meantime, he takes a closer look at the market, looking for magical supplies.
I do not know how you wish to play this in a PbP setting. At the end of the day I'd like to know:

Are there spells for sale (usually in the form of scrolls)?
Who are the big actors in town?
What is the Commune (just because I'm curious)?
Any archaists in or around town? Perhaps a lone hermit somewhere?
What gods are represented in the town's temple, and what gods are there in this setting anyway?
Are there hot issues in general?
What is the situation with the savage species? Raids/threats? Any outposts? What's around here geographically?
Are there rumors and stories about unusual things happening around? Any ancient/cursed/haunted sites? Places "you'd better star clear of"?
Are there expeditions being organized right now, either for archeological or economical purposes? Are they ever?
If not, are there grunts availabe for hire for such endeavors?

Also, do you have any house rule for magic item creation? What about Xp expenditure, for example?

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-07, 10:46 AM
Thanat takes everything in. To him, this looks like a good place to hide, lay low, and start over, but not quite what he was looking for when he set out to further his main goal. Still, it's never a waste of time to ask around for unusual pieces of gossip. He's never done it himself, but he's heard that taverns are a good place to start; he'll probably chat a few people up this evening. In the meantime, he takes a closer look at the market, looking for magical supplies.
I do not know how you wish to play this in a PbP setting. At the end of the day I'd like to know:

What gods are represented in the town's temple, and what gods are there in this setting anyway?
What is the situation with the savage species? Raids/threats? Any outposts? What's around here geographically?
Are there rumors and stories about unusual things happening around? Any ancient/cursed/haunted sites? Places "you'd better star clear of"?
Are there expeditions being organized right now, either for archeological or economical purposes? Are they ever?

Also, do you have any house rule for magic item creation? What about Xp expenditure, for example?

Remember that this is E6. Class levels of any kind are rare, casters are rare among those with class levels, and casters with the selection of feats you need are rare among those. Expect no Magic Item Shoppes. But perhaps you can find someone to make something to order.

Asking around, you find that the leaders of the Combine, the mayor, Ranold, the local magistrate - a man called Valdus, and someone called Vardryn. This last man seems to be important only because he speaks on behalf of someone else. It's all a little opague to you.

There is also some vague mention of the Guild of Porters and Laborers.

The Combine are a collection of land owners and industry leaders.

It seems Vardryn has some sort of arcane ability.

It's just the gods. Where ever I'm in charge, the generic cleric of the gods is norm - and more specialised clerics (of Odin, say) are zealous weirdos who ignore the majority of the pantheon in favor of one god that appeals specifically to them.

Orcs and gnolls. Hostile nature. The place is peaceful - but if you look for it, it's easy to find the scars of past conflict. A few burnt timbers here, repairs to town walls there.

This is the outpost. Raids are common, though mostly against farms. Geographically is ... a big question. A couple of waterways flow from the mountains, there are deep valleys closer to those same mountains, flat grasslands to the south.

The mountains are dangerous. Orcs, and worse, live there. The grasslands are dangerous, gnolls live there.

Mind, intelligent evil races are only monsters if they so chose - savage species can be reasoned with, after a fashion. Orcs occasionally come to Mountainshade to trade.

It's more like a landgrab. Go out, find a piece of land you feel you can tame - grab it, hold on, build strong walls.

There are a certain brand of frontier brawny men available for hire. You might call them thugs, for want of a better word.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-07, 02:04 PM
Thanat spends his first day making enquiries about the local situation. Even in a small city such as this one, there are a lot of thing going on. He replenishes his stores of spell components, and buys enough supplies to write a scroll or two for himself. He rents a room at the local tavern and starts working on one as he waits for the patrolman.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-07, 02:26 PM
Thanat prepares his scroll, his quill dancing across the parchment, jotting out the fine, arcane traceries of runes and symbols. Eventually, his stomach informs him it's time to put the quill aside - a tempting scent is wafting up from the common room, stealthily creeping under the door, to lure him down for dinner.

As he returns to the common room, it's more than half full, people at most tables - drinking, eating, talking. A single table stands a little apart from the others in a small alcove. At this table, Ranold awaits, looking somewhat distracted while he sips his beer, the Golden Stout for which the tavern is named. Deep in thoughts, he seems not to have noticed Thanat.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-07, 06:28 PM
Thanat asks a member of the staff for the same beer (it must be good if the locals drink it, he thinks) and a light meal to go with it, then respectfully approaches the patrolman at his table. "Mr. Ranold, mind if I join you?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-08, 01:08 AM
Alastor, was it? No, certainly not - have a seat.

First off, let me just point out that all that black mage crap I told you earlier was more for the benefit of the men than you. I doubt you'd travel all the way out here only to ruin the place.

Now, let me tell you about being the captain of a frontier militia.

Twenty years ago, when I first came here, this place was failing. I want you to really understand that. Mountainshade was fighting, and losing. Our mayor changed that. Subtly. I'm not sure the rest of the people here realise how - but he turned it around. If you look around now, the town is thriving.

He pauses for a sip of his beer. You follow suit, and to your surprise, it's nothing short of excellent.

It's so simply - once you know how it's done. Mayor Osgood has spread our risks, and consolidated our strenghts. He has built dozens of granaries, spread out across town and across numerous farms. He has increased the number of farms, but reduced their total land area. He has drawn the militia back, rather than have it patrol heavily.

In essence, he has put more people outside the town walls, and in doing so made them more capable of defending themselves. Before, we'd commit the militia to all attacks - and that meant attrition, and attrition against orcs or gnolls means you lose.

Now, we're only commiting our best fighting force to the worst fights - but when we go, we go hard. This militia has some rather decent horse, an excellent archer corps, and a solid force of stout infantry.

But it all hinges on accepting some losses. When a single farm is raided - well, then it's raided. We can't help everyone, because if we try to, we lose the war. We can't save that farm, but we can rebuild it.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-08, 10:21 AM
"Perfectly understandable: common folks, even when brave and hardened, tend to be unnerved by what they do not understand, and there is little less understood than Arcane magic. By definition, really. However, i was under the impression there was at least one other archaist in town. A man by the name of... Vardryn, I believe?"

Thanat listen to the man's account with fascination. "What you say about the mayor's choice sounds terrible, but also very wise. I guess some things might be both. Back in Madripor, such way of thinking would have many left feeling outraged, probably because it is hard to make this kind of decisions when you can hardly remember how it feels to be in danger at all... instead, this mayor fellow seems to know what he is doing. I wonder if he's ever thought about a more decisive action, either diplomatic or military in nature... not that I'm suggesting anything, mind you. I'm just asking as a mean to understand. Surely if we find out what these orcs and such really want and care for we can try and reach some sort of understanding... or maybe not, I don't know. I must confess I've never seen an orc in person, much less spoken to one."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-08, 10:52 AM
Mayor Osgood has made some very hard, but very necessary choices: Do what feels right, but deplete our ressources - or do what makes sense, and thrive. We do not have numerical superiority, we cannot simply go out and make a bold statement against our enemies. It's been tried in the past, to the great detriment of Mountainshade.

The orcs can be reasoned with. But they will raid, it's in their nature - because it's also in their nature not to be particularly productive on their own. It's not that they are lazy, but they are none too bright, and none too imaginative. So when their neighbors do better than they do, they come and simply take what they desire.

The hyena men however are ... beyond reason. Unlike the orcs, they are not nest builders. They have no towns, they do not particularly plan for the next generation - they hunt, and fight, and that is to a certain extent all they exist to do.

And they've been quiet for a long while.

Look around town. The scars of conflict are everywhere, but they are all old. The gnolls have stayed their hand for years now - and it's entirely out of their nature. Something has changed, and it's keeping me up at night. I need to find out what - I need to know if it's something I need to act against.

As you talk, your dinner arrives. It's simple fare, but it's delicious: Juicy meat, fresh potatoes seasoned with brown butter and herbs, bread still warm from the oven.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-08, 11:21 AM
Thanat listens to the man's concerns in silence as he enjoys his simple meal, which tastes like a king's feast after the scarcity of the last few days. Eventually, he asks matter-of-factly: "You are right, you need to know where the danger is coming from in order to have a chance to withstand it. When are you planning to go and take a look?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-08, 11:51 AM
I have gone - on several occasions. That's what patrols are for, after all. And the fact that I cannot find anything suspicious is the most suspicious of all. The gnolls aren't good at hiding secrets. In years past, I've always found something or other, large or small. But now? The plains are either empty, or peaceful.

I need a different set of skills, Alastor. I need someone who can see what I cannot, see from afar perhaps? Hell, maybe even someone more clever than myself. That's why I wanted to ask you - seasoned traveller, accomplished arcanist ... and so on, right?

He looks at you, hopefully. Even so, you also sense he knows very well the risk he's asking you to take. The plains are huge, and the numbers of savage tribes out there proportional to that.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-08, 02:16 PM
Thanat manages to keep his cool and not to choke on his food as Ranold describes him as a seasoned traveller. Instead, he answers with smile: "You know, I was about to volunteer to help you out on this one, Mr Ranold." Then he gets a bit more serious, adding: "However, if this is as important as you say, i will need something more from you: to begin with, a written document charging me with this task and the authority to make enquiries on your behalf would go a long way. Supplies and a man or two who have been to the plains might also be useful, if you can spare them. If not, I can manage without."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-08, 02:34 PM
You can have all the documents you want - signed by me and mayor Osgood both - but they'll do you precious little good where you're headed. As far as human civilisation goes, this is it, my friend. From here on out, there's no one who considers us an authority.

But you'll have the documents, and supplies too - anything you can carry off is yours. I'll find you a guide too, and horses.

The thing is that I don't want to send a large expedition - that's what's failed me all the other times.

Now, you asked about Vardryn. Yes, he's an arcanist. But he's a difficult, strange man. But go see him, if you like.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-08, 03:07 PM
"So it is settled then: I will look into the matter.". Thanat lifts his mug a little, as if in toast. "I plan to set out in the morning, after speaking with this Vardryn fellow."
After that, unless there is more, T. will take his leave and go to sleep, in order to have a good start in the morning.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-08, 03:13 PM
... what, tomorrow?

I ... need to find you a guide. Well alright, if you're rearing to go, I'd better get on it. I'll try and send one of the men over tomorrow morning.

And let me know if you have any particular preferences for a guide. Mind though ... he's unclassed - but he can have particular skills and so on.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-08, 03:33 PM
... what, tomorrow?

I ... need to find you a guide. Well alright, if you're rearing to go, I'd better get on it. I'll try and send one of the men over tomorrow morning.

And let me know if you have any particular preferences for a guide. Mind though ... he's unclassed - but he can have particular skills and so on.

"That's ok, don't worry: there is no actual rush, or at least we might hope so." says Thanat, with another smile. "I was just eager to get on with things. Still, I can definitely keep myself occupied in town if you need more time. It is not my intention to rush things.

As for my guide, it would be good if you could find someone who can work on the quet and who does not get worked over a spell or two."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-08, 03:58 PM
Ok - I can find someone like that for you. You'll be trading though, of course. No heavy chain mail, no big sword and shield. But I'll find you someone who can move unseen and unheard.

Any further actions? Or do we skip until morning?

iTookUrNick
2015-02-08, 04:51 PM
"Thank you. I'd rather not get into any fights if I can help it..."
We can skip.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-08, 05:06 PM
Thanat goes to sleep.

Mountainshade is not a large town, and The Golden Stout isn't a large inn. It has a few rooms, and the one assigned to Thanat is all the way back, up the stairs, under the rafters. The building is tall enough that the view from the small window is above the walls, south out across the grass lands - with the rising moon in the background.

I wonder what's out there, waiting,, Thanat has time to think as he gets ready for bed.

He sleeps deep, and wakes rested - with vague memories of dreams about deep, moist soil, restless spirits, haunting pictures of things long past. There is a single, crystal image of Ardvil, telling Thanat something important. But what? No clue.

Good morning =)

iTookUrNick
2015-02-08, 05:39 PM
Thanat lies in bed for a moment, trying to capture the image in his dream before it flees his memory. He is left puzzled of its significance, if any.

He prepares for leaving, packing his things in his backpack, and comes down to the common room to have breakfast. He'll probably seek the local archanist next.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-09, 04:04 AM
Breakfast is, once again, simple fare but excellent. Fresh bread, cheese and sausage, a less powerful beer than the famous stout.

Next, Thanat makes his way to Vardryns house. On the west side of town, it's a large, somewhat ramshackle house with an overgrown garden, and a single squat tower. There is a low fence with a closed gate, and beyond, a short path to the front door.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-09, 07:02 AM
What's with wizards and towers he muses, thinking of his own study at the top of his house. Judt one more thing he left behind. He peocedes with caution through the garden and knocks on the door, awaiting a reply from within.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-09, 07:38 AM
There is a wait, maybe 15 seconds, then ...

What is it now? the voice from inside sounds annoyed - then, after a few moments, adds If that's you, Cliften, then I've told you a dozen times there is no such thing as a love potion!

iTookUrNick
2015-02-09, 08:07 AM
Thanat has a slight hesitation at te strange reaponse. "Mr Vardryns?" he asks, deciding to ignore what the other man was blabbing about. "I am sorry to disturb you. I am a fellow arcanist and I am new in town. I was wondering if we could exchange a few wirlds..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-09, 10:48 AM
The voice did not sound like it was right on the other side of the door. Therefore Thanat is slightly startled when the door immediately jerks open - a sliver - and a face peers out.

Vardryn is not young. With the average lifespan of your random human being around 60 - at best - Vardryn is impressively high age, being at least 70 by Thanats estimate. For all that, he's in annoyingly fine shape, by the looks of it. Bright, clever eyes, a neatly trimmed beard contrasting with somewhat untamed, white hair.

A fellow arcanist, you say? Hmm. What do you want?

Also, I exchange words. I've no idea what wirds are, but I'm not having any! :p

iTookUrNick
2015-02-09, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry about the misspell. I can only post on my phone from work, and only when I have a little respite from my actual duties... :smallsmile:
"Words, yes. That's what I said!" answers Thanat confused. "I'd like to speak to you regarding the local possibilities, maybe get a few tips from someone who's been here longer than me..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-09, 01:35 PM
I'm just teasing. I wanted to have Vardryn say something in the vein of "I'm sure others find your curious accent charming, but certainly not I - I feel you would do well to learn proper pronounciation in our language!" - but then I didn't want to make him sound too hostile.

But really ... he's just being an ass.

Very well, I suppose you can come in then. Breifly, you understand - I'm very busy.

He leads you from the door, into a rather normal seeming home. A hall, a kitchen, a small sitting room. Strange smells are everywhere, though - unidentifiable. Not unpleasant, but weird.

He asks you to sit in one of two chairs at a small table. Lights a pipe, and offers you tobacco.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-09, 02:28 PM
Oh, I see. I got quite a few ass-colleagues at work, I did not even register that one as an insult. :smallsigh:
"Of course, I do not wish to bother you more than strictly necessary." says Thanat, turning down the offer of tobacco. "I just came to see what field of study you concentrate on, where do you get supplies and tools for work, and what do you do around here. Things like that. I thought perhaps you could share a tip or two about what being an arcanist around here is like..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-09, 02:46 PM
Vardryn leans back, enjoying his smoke.

Well ...

Let me tell you, being surrounded by barely literate, superstitious red necks can be quite hard. The things they ask me for? Oh you wouldn't believe. Like love potions. I tell them - it cannot be done.

Sure, the magic exists to turn the emotional barometer of a man from hostile to friendly - but it isn't a precise mechanism. Love is complex, it requires physical attraction, emotional rapport, shared history. You cannot simply conjure and bottle it. I'm sure there is some theoretical foundation for making it work, but I really doubt it could ever be put into practice.

I am an alchemist. Destillations, philters, refined poultices and so on. Something of an expert on the creation of potions if I do say so myself.

And I moved out here because ingredients are hard to come by in the city. As it turns out, here they are closer to hand, but no less difficult to acquire. Typical. He smiles at this final irony.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-09, 03:35 PM
"I can see what you mean..." comments Thanat, listening carefully. Of all things, a disquisition on love and magic was not something he had anticipated coming from this man.
"An alchemist, you say? Interesting. And quite an apt choice, when there is only one of young so many people who might need your services." Thanat adds, inspired: "You know, I happen to have some training in Alchemy myself. Nothing too fancy, mind you: just enough to cover the basics. However, I also happen to be going outside the city for reasons of my own. Perhaps I could provide you with some of the reagents you need, if you can tell me where to find them..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-09, 03:46 PM
Oh gods yes, anything of even the slightest arcane usefulness - if you find anything, I'll pay handsomely. Flowers of the phaedytius or melathanite families, rare earths and ores, the bones or vital organs of magically active wildlife, marrow from the undead .. you know all this, I'm sure, if you've dabbled in the alchemical arts.

I can give you a test kit to bring along - something to discern the various alchemical qualities of anything you find.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-09, 04:47 PM
"That would be great. I'll be happy to be of assistance." Thanat smiles as his good fortune. Not only he will get in the man's good graces, but he will also make some extra cash. He collects the kit and proceeds to disengage graciously from the conversation, promising to bring back whatever he might find.
Before leaving, however, he asks "By the way, I could not quite understand one thing. I've been told you speak on behalf of someone else: what does it mean?"

This conversation gave Thanat another idea. Perhaps there is someone else who needs things done out of the city. He'll pay a visit to the Combine next.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-09, 05:29 PM
Even as you say it, the answer - or at least some inkling of it - dawns on you. Beneath the wild hair, you spot slightly pointed ears. And the man being in such fine shape despite advancing years. He's half elven.

You don't know much about the elves. Sure, there are the city elves. But the real elves, those who dwell among the trees, or on the mountain peaks, in lakes and rivers? You know next to nothing about those, because that's how they want it.

... well - I don't mind telling you that's rather rude, though I suppose it's not really your fault. The rumor mongers of this town fed you half the tale, without giving you the rest.

I ... have the ear of my father. Occasionally.

Now, if you'll excuse me. Like I said, I'm very busy.

And with that, you're fairly unceremoniously ushered out the door.

Outside, you find a woman waiting. Clad in tight and practical leathers, a bow over her shoulder and various knives distributed across her body, she looks ... there is propably some word halfway between attractive and dangerous, but right now you cannot think of it.

Greetings she says, I'm Felidae. Ranold told me to find you here. Said you need a ... um, scout. She smiles. While lovely, the smile also seems to indicate she doesn't usually think of herself as a scout.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-10, 01:41 AM
...damn, that was not very tactful. But at least now I know... something. I guess. As that thinks that, he realizes a woman is talking to him. She looks exactly like that sort of people one does not wish to cross.
"Indeed I do, Ms Felidae. I can assume he briefed you on where we're supposed to go. I plan to leave today, as soon as I've finished a small piece of business I just thought of, unless you suggest otherwise. I will keep your opinion on this kind of matter in great regard, as it looks like you know what you are doing..." says Thanat "You can call me Alastor, by the way"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-10, 03:30 AM
I intend do. If you're not ready to leave yet, I'll go to the gate, and make fun of the caravan people as they come in. See you there.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-10, 01:15 PM
Thanat bows slightly in salute, but the gesture goes unnoticed as she already turned around. Then he proceeds to the Combine headquarters, still a little fazed by the encounter.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-10, 04:12 PM
The doors of the Mountainshade Commune are tall, laquered and polished heavy timbers, dark and noble wood. They swing open silently upon hall in which half a dozen scribes work at lecterns, quills scribbling. A serious looking young man at the front desk looks up as you enter.

Welcome sir - might I enquire as to your business?

iTookUrNick
2015-02-11, 01:31 AM
"Good morning" answers Thanat politely "I am on official business. May I speak to one of the managers?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-11, 01:57 AM
I would be the manager, sir - the gentlemen of the board are occupied. But if you state your official business, I shall bring it to their attention, and perhaps we can arrange to a meeting.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-11, 03:48 PM
"Very well." answers Thanat, resigned. Dealing with bureaucracies is never pleasant. "I've been tasked by the major to investigate any activity of the savage tribes that might pose a threat to this town. I was wondering if you had any pertinent information on the subject, or if you had any ancillary task that needed to be addressed in the area. I will be leaving momentarily so, unless you can provide a meeting in short order, I guess i will simply have to go without the input of your organization".

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-11, 04:59 PM
Something happens, there. It's just a flicker in the eyes, nothing you can be sure about - possibly, this man is afraid of the savage tribes, or has had some terribly traumatic experience connected to them. At any rate, he answers:

Your task is certainly an important one, but the board remain occupied. I propose the following solution: When you return, bring your findings - what ever they might be - here, and we shall reward you in direct proportion to the importance and relevance of your discoveries.

Otherwise, if you could postpone departure, I could check the schedules of the board, but it would be several days at least?

Just because I might as well, I'll roll Sense Motive for you: [roll0]

Totally trustworthy guy. You'd lend this man your last penny and never fear you wouldn't get it back.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-12, 01:15 AM
"I'm afraid I can't wait that long: I'll be back with my findings. In the meantime, do inform board members about my task, if you deem it appropriate..." With that, Thanat takes his leave, meaning to meet with Felidae at the gate.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-12, 02:27 AM
Naturally, sir. Good fortune on your expedition.

And with that, you exit the offices of the Mountainshade Combine. It's a short trek through town to the gate, where you find Felidae loitering. She's in the shade of an awning set up by a spice merchant who is currently in the process of putting out his wares.

Initially inexplicably, she has a small pile of rocks arranged beside her. As you approach, she looks up, and says Hoy, Than, watch this! and she winks at you, a gesture that fills you with a quiet dread.

She picks up a rock, takes aim, and lets fly. It's a pretty long throw, across a large part of the caravan staging area - but she manages to hit the rump of a horse standing quietly eating some hay while it's rider directs the loading of a number of wagons.

The horse immediately bucks, throwing the rider - who, in turn, angrily accuses some random bystander of startling his horse. Within moments, the situation devolves into fisticuffs.

Felidae beames a big, bright smile at you. Ready to go?

iTookUrNick
2015-02-12, 02:24 PM
i just realized my character is a better person than I am. I shall correct that immediately :D
"Please" says Thanat, a mixture of concern and bemusement in his tone.

"You know" he continues, once beyond the gates "You seem quite skilled, and very aware of it. I'll tell you what: if we make it back alive, I'll cut you on any profits I make on the side. Deal?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-12, 03:49 PM
It's funny how decent a character you can make, with only 26 points. Even if I originally wanted to use 24. You can have a look (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1121886), if you want.

She actually has short, dark hair. But otherwise this picture is a fairly decent match.

You wanna pay me? Sweet! You call the shots, and I try to sort of discreetly hint what shots you should call. It's a deal.

Felidae has horses, saddles, a pack pony, supplies, maps, tents, bedrolls .. she has feed for the horses, water and wine skins, a compas, a looking glass. In fact, she looks the part of seasoned adventurer better than Thanat does =)

You set off as the hour crawls towards noon, riding from the town walls out among the farms inside safe reach of the militia protecting the town. Past those, some miles out, the farms you see are different - small, fortified camps, with their own watch towers, and farmers in the field sporting bows or spears. Yoi ride past those as well, and as afternoon goes toward evening, you leave settled lands behind you, and enter the wide, rolling grasslands. Unbroken as far as the eye can see.

As you crest a small rise, a few landmarks are visible to you: A river crossing the landscape diagonally to the south east, a series of small plateaus rising to the west .... and more unbroken grass further south.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-13, 01:33 AM
"It seems like we're getting there, at last. Do you know your way around here, Felidae?" asks Thaant, hoping his companion actually knows what she's doing...

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-13, 03:16 AM
Sure! What do you wanna know?

If you ask me, now would be a fine time to start looking for a campsite for the night.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-13, 02:24 PM
"Let's do that, then." Thanat is more than happy to be led on these kind of things. On most things, really: he is hardly qualified for the job he basically volunteered for...

"I was wondering if you've been here before, if you know where these gnoll tribes usually reside or roam, and what kind of terrain can we expect to find them in. In short, what are we to expect from the next part of our journey"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-13, 05:06 PM
Ok, so ... gnolls are nomadic, right? So I can't tell you where to look for them.

I can tell you what I know about them. They have a sort of fear based society, right? The leader of a given pack is the one the others fear the most. So not automatically the strongest, right - rather, the meanest. That makes a significant difference. The strongest just might also be clever. But the meanest never is.

Since they are bigger and stronger, they don't fear us humans. Hence, they consider us a source of food, goods, gold and so on. Funny thing though - gnolls just aren't cut out for animal husbandry. Because of the fear thing. You can't fear an animal into being tame, or carry a rider.

That works to our advangage: Gnolls are afraid of cavalry. See? Cause horses are bigger and stronger than they are, and the men riding them have lances and what not.

Sadly, gnolls are decent enough archers. Works well against cavalry.

Another thing: Gnolls really can't be arsed to produce much on their own. Sure, they might want, say, nice clothes - but they don't have the patience to figure out how to do things well, so they just make what is easy .. say, a boiled leather chest piece ... and steal anything else they like. I guess fear comes into it again? Patiently working at your sewing skill, improving it until you could sew the queens undergarments? Not so scary.

Killing a knight and using his helmet for undergarments? Plenty scary.

Now the landscape here is all ... grasslands. For hundreds of miles. Thing is, the gnolls should be fairly close to us humans: We're the prey. Right? Only they ain't.

You're a mage, right? Can't you conjure scary disembodied eyes to fly all over? Summon spirits? Converse with the lands, or the gods themselves?

iTookUrNick
2015-02-13, 08:57 PM
"I'm afraid you are describing spells of legend" explains Thanat. "The greatest wizards alive today simply cannot do that kind of things under normal circumstances. That means we will have to find them in the old-fashioned way: by looking. However..." Thanat stops, thinking about his newfound familiar. "Perhaps there is one spirit I can call upon to help us in our search..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-14, 04:19 AM
There is a distant, ghostly wail, and a cloud of black wings flitting this way and that - and as vision clears you see your raven standing there, head cocked to one side, as numerous other black birds recede to the horizon.

Felidae, startled, cries out Whoa! What tha ...! and half draws her weapons before realising it's just a bird.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-14, 08:10 AM
"Relax" says Thanat with a smile "Its entrance might have been a bit theatrical, but the bird itself is mostly harmless. It will aid us by flying in the sky and report its findings to us. Felice, I present you Blackwing. Blackwing, I salute you."

He adds then, teasing a little: "You know, the way you were talking about spells, one would have though you would not be spooked so easily..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-14, 12:46 PM
Who? Felice? Is that another spirit now?! Felidae looks over her shoulder, wondering.

The raven sits there, drips of darkness dropping from its feathers like smoke, to curl around it's claws and drift slowly down over the rock on which it is perched to disappear among the grass. The 'smoke' is stirred slightly by a wind that isn't the one you feel against your skin.

It bows it's head slightly, as if in greeting. CAW!

Felidae looks it over, then turns to you.
It startled me, is all. Is it supposed to look like that - all spooky-like?

iTookUrNick
2015-02-14, 12:58 PM
Stupid autocorrect. :smallannoyed:
"I said Felidae. Geez, you people are really poor at understanding foreigners, aren't you?" says Thanat with a tinge of petulance in his voice.

"No matter." continues. "As for the spirit being spooky, I see it as a very useful feature. It might scare an enemy the way it... startled you. Fear can be a powerful weapon."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-14, 01:49 PM
So ... what happens now?

Shoo, bird - go, scout!

iTookUrNick
2015-02-14, 02:16 PM
"Now? We look for a good place to camp for the night, as you suggested. Backwing will assist us in finding the best spot and will watch over us from above, warning us of incoming threats." Thanat makes a gesture toward the skies, as if to invite the spirit to comply. Tomorrow we will continue our search for the 'elusive' gnolls you have around here..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-14, 02:58 PM
Spare you the humiliation of having you roll a survival check for Blackwing. It turns out a bird - even a clever one - considers camp site to be synonimous with nesting site.

Eventually, Felidae selects a decent enough site - and Blackwing, still confused, brings twigs and stuff for the nest. Looking proud to be contributing =D

Negative wis score does mean she's ... well, maybe we should roll for Blackwing.

Felidae: [roll0]
Blackwing: [roll1]

Thank god - man triumphs over beast.

Felidae picks a spot she (thinks she) remembers from a patrol some months ago.

It's only nominally defensible, being on a bit of a rise, with sort of a hint of a ledge around the camp. On the other hand, it's near a stream, if has some rocks that will allow for a hidden firepit, and it has flat ground where you can actually get some decently restful sleep. This last seems to appeal to her. Apparently, she trust in your claims to be able to keep you safe through the night.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-15, 05:32 AM
After Felidae goes to sleep, Thanat starts whispering as if in prayer: "Herald, I hope you are still with me: I have not heard your voice in a bit. I need your protection once again: watch over me and mine tonight. I fear I will need your strength soon enough. As always, if there is anything I can do for you in return, let me know."

He stops a moment, giving the Herald the chance to comment if it wishes, then continues: "One other thing: we will probably encounter some strong creatures in the near future. Would you be able to 'recruit' them? Would it be advantageous to our cause?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-15, 06:13 AM
Always by your side, Lord. My vision is limited here, though. I can safeguard you to the best of my ability, but I do not see very far.

Certain criteria must be in place for me to join souls into the Host. We shall see.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-15, 06:56 AM
Thanat is puzzled at the Herald's words. He will need to look into this powers he's been given, and always remember he might have to do without at any time...

"How so? What changed since last time? Anyway, I will ask Blackwing to watch from above, then, and caw if he sees something approaching. Would that help?"

And again: "Can you give me a hint on what needs to happen for a should to join the host?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-15, 07:06 AM
Only a conflicted soul may join the Host. And even so, they may resist. And it's easier in certain places than in others. These peaceful plains are not optimal.

You familiar sees in the dark. It will be able to watch over you quite well.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-15, 09:01 AM
"I see. i will keep an eye out for such a candidate". To Blackwing: "Soar and watch over us. If you see danger approaching, alert us"

That done, Thanat goes to sleep.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-15, 02:03 PM
Not so fast. The evening is still young, right?

As the sun sets, Felidae sets a fire, and gets to work cooking dinner for your first night in the field. There are tree places set around the fire, and Thanat sits in one, enjoying the smell of meat roasting over the fire.

... why three?! Thanat thinks to himself, his eyes drifting off to his left.

There, Ardvil is seated. Despair.

I don't know why I can't get warm. I'm constantly freezing. I feel even if I went to stand in the fire, I would still be cold.

I tried to live proper. You know? In all the chaos, all the confusion, I found one thing that was permanent and immutable, and I stuck by it. I was reliable. I did the right thing.

Why am I still here, Thanat? Why am I not in Mechanus?

Why am I so terribly cold?

Ardvil slowly fades back into the ether. As Thanat looks around again, unaware how much time has passed, he suddenly spots the wooden plate in front of him.

Hello-oo? Dinner is served. Eat up, it's getting cold. Where'd ya go? You were all distant on me for a moment there.

... you may sleep =)

iTookUrNick
2015-02-16, 01:34 PM
Thanat shakes himself from the strange reverie, his skin covered in a thin layer of sweat.
"Yes, sorry. I was... thinking. About things, that is...". What is the meaning of this? he wonders. He looks around the campfire, checking that no one else is there with them, but knowing full well that in actual truth there is someone.
Thanat keeps mostly silent for the rest of the evening, even after the initial shock has passed, and takes the first possible opportunity to go to sleep.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-16, 01:44 PM
Morning comes without drama. The grasslands lie before you - mesas, river, rolling hills covered with softly swaying green. Felidae points around, trying to explain:

Now, the river is the main source of water. Sure, there is plenty, the land is fertile. But if you want enough water for lots of people? It's either the river, or one of it's tributaries.

If you want to hide a lot of people, flat grasslands just aren't going to help you. Those low plateaus might help, but I'm not sure. To my knowledge, there aren't a lot of deep caves or anything there.

And of course ... if it comes to it, you can just go far enough south to be outside our easy scouting range.

It's just that ... we know all this. So we've searched accordingly. And found nothing. We bloody well know the gnolls are out here. We're just not seeing them.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-16, 02:44 PM
"Hum..." goes Thanat, pondering their options. "I do not have any particular insight to share, but i think we should start in the plateaus. We will have areal coverage, and we will have some cover for ourselves as well, which is always a plus in my book. We should start near the waterways you mentioned and work our way towards the interior. If that doesn't pan out, we'll tackle the plains and get as far as our food stores will get us safely. If you know how to find food in the wild, it would probably be a good idea to do so on a regular basis to supplement our rations."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-16, 04:01 PM
So the plan is made. You set out for the low mesas on the horizon - and though they hardly look to be far away, Felidae tells you it will be at least a couple of days until you get there.

Travelling through the plains you cross several smaller streams that surely join the larger river to your south. Though it seems largely uniform from a distance, the landscape subtly changes around you as you travel. You pass a cluster of ancient cairns, the ruins of long lost villages, small lakes and ponds. You spot tribes of lowland orgrens*, and high overhead clusters of fierce wyrlings** fly.

At the end of the day, as the plateaus draw nearer, the land begins to rise ever so slightly, becoming also drier in the process. The grass, though still dense, is lower and stringier. Here, you could spot tracks, if there were any to spot.

All is quiet and peaceful. At the end of the day, you make camp among tumbled rocks that lie here with little explanation. A learned man might mumble something about ancient ice ages - or they might be tossed here by playful godlings. Who knows?

* The orgren ... well, imagine a herd animal, migratory in the style of the elk: Wandring within a large area, seeking food where it is plentiful depending on the seasons. Large, and somewhat territorial, but vegetarian and not as such dangerous. Now imagine somewhere in it's ancestry a large, reasonably intelligent gorilla-like ape. That's the orgren.

Lone orgren tend to be ronkedors, and those are ... tempremental.

** Wyrlings are much smaller cousins of the wyvern. A hungry flight of wyrlings can be deadly, but generally they avoid humans.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-17, 01:37 AM
Tonight, on NatGeo Fantasy... :smallbiggrin:
Thanat does not get distracted by the scenery as they travel towards the plateaus. Between his plan for revenge and the haunted nights, he's just not in the mood. Rather, he find himself wondering how long will this track take: distances seem to stretch in this place.
He asks Felidae to avoid getting themselves into unnecessary confrontations with the local fauna. They have time, but he'd rather not waste it.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-17, 03:42 AM
In the evening, as Felidae is cooking another meal for you, a man walks into camp. No warning from Blackwing, but the herald speaks up just a few seconds before he's just suddenly there.

He's an elderly chap, a little worse for wear - face deeply lined, long hair gray and receding - dressed in furs and hides. He carries a cudgel on his belt, and a long oaken staff he uses for walking. At his side strides a lean, feral wolf.

Whoa - druid! whispers Felidae as she spots him.

The man clears his throat - like he hasn't spoken in a long time - and asks with reasonable politeness:

Greetings, settlers. Technically, you're in my home, but I suppose I should ask: May I join you at your fire?

iTookUrNick
2015-02-21, 04:01 PM
I was 100% positive I replied to this one. :smallconfused:
"Greeting, stranger" answers Thanat. "We did not know we were intruding, but if you are willing to share your home we'll be happy to share our fire and food. Come and sit with us" the image of the dead man sitting at their camp flashes briefly in front of Thanat eyes "and let us trade news and tales, if you'd like"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-22, 03:48 AM
Worry not. I share my home with all things under sky and sun and stars. All the things that walk or crawl or fly.

He takes a seat by the fire, and digs out a pouch of tobacco, offering it around. Sitting, in a manner of speaking, in Ardvils seat.

News and tales, you say. I know much of what goes on in these plains. What manner of news would interest you? I have tales of the marmot tribes, and of the soaring birds - would those be to your liking?

He smiles, showing that he's being ironic.

I have no idea what color I first used for him - I can't remember, and I cannot tell. So now I've chosen one that makes sense to me. He's bark colored.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-22, 09:34 AM
"I would love to be able to concern myself with nothing more than marmot gossip and sit quietly as flock of birds wait patterns in the sky with their flight" sighs Thanat "Alas, that is not the case. We are traveling with a grave concern in mind, that of the Gnoll tribes wandering these lands. Settlers back at Mountainshade haven't had any news of them for quite some time, and they worry this might be the calm before the storm. Do you happen to have any information on the subject?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-22, 11:51 AM
What sort of news of them are you looking for? I agree that they are strangely absent, but I do know one place they show themselves these days.

I would go there with caution though. There are gnolls there! He chuckles a bit at his own joke

... did you take any of his tobacco?

iTookUrNick
2015-02-22, 12:21 PM
Thanat will politely refuse the offer at first, then give in if the druid insists. However, if possible he will examine it and, if anything seems off, ask about it (or keep it as an alchemical ingredient :P).
Thanat chuckles despite himself at the old man's joke. It feels good to break the tension of the last few days, even if just for a moment. Regaining his composure, he answers:
"I would look for the reason of their prolonged absence. If we find it is something benign, then all the better. However, if anything nefarious is brewing, we must be aware of it and warn the settlers in time for them to prepare. Can you tell me how to get there, unnoticed if possible?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-22, 03:37 PM
I can. There is a ravine, between the two closest of the mesas - see, those two there, he says and points towards where the low plateaus are backlit against the setting sun (-ish ... it's kinda-sorta the correct direction for that), I see them go into and out of that ravine. That's where I'd start my search, if I were you.

What they're doing in there though ... I don't know. But I can do a bit to keep you out of sight at least. A bit of nature magic to make you harder to see.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-23, 01:45 AM
"Thank you, any help would be immensely appreciated. I only wish you could teach me such a trick, it sounds quite useful...

Felidae, do you reckon we should go in at night, or shall we wait until daybreak? I hear these creatures we seek are good at seeing in the dark..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-23, 04:56 AM
We're sorta blind at night boss. Not to our advantage. And if it comes to a fight, both of us rely on range, right? Which again isn't really useful at night. No, if you ask me I say we go in the daytime.

She graciously accepts some of the druids tobacco, lights up and coughs slightly - appreciatively: Gods, this is ... wow. Really? Her eyes take on a slightly dreamy quality.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-23, 12:50 PM
"I agree with you, it is better to wait. We will move at daybreak."

Thanat notices the effects of the tobacco on his traveling companion. "What is is?" he asks the druid "The plant, I mean. I got a little knowledge of plants and substances myself, and I try and learn more when i can."

Before going to sleep, Thanat will take out quill and parchment and make a scroll of something. If the druid is willing, Thanat will write down one of the druid's spells rather than one of his own.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-23, 04:06 PM
Felidae looks happy that you agree with her. Or maybe just happy in general.

The plant is kalled khef. It ... well frankly it's highly dangerous, if used incorrectly. Especially dangerous if used as a destillate, rather than dried leaves. You need to kill the main plant, otherwise - well, it's complicated, but the plant has certain abilities. You don't want those, you just want the effect of the leaves.

Scribe scroll lets you scribe any spell that you know. For this reason, you really cannot scribe any druid spells - and if the druid was to scribe one for you, you wouldn't be able to cast it.

Unless you pick a level of the class, that is =)

iTookUrNick
2015-02-23, 04:39 PM
"That's... fascinating, really. Where can one find such plant? I would like to take a few samples on my way back. For a friend, of course..."
That's what Imeant: he could dictate one of his spells to me and I would scribe it down. Yes, I would not be able to cast it, but maybe someone with a good UMD modifier... never mind, I'll just use one of my own.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-23, 05:19 PM
This is ... really a rather dangerous plant. How about I give you a few samples? The plant itself can be used very nefariously. And while I don't think you have any evil intent, through you it might still wind up in the wrong hands.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-24, 01:37 AM
"I do not wish to inconvenience you any further than I already have, but I'll take the samples if you think you can spare them. Who knows, they might even come handy"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-24, 06:27 AM
Remember, I killed the main plant, he informs you as he hands you a pouch filled with powdered plant material, so this doesn't have that potential. It creates a nice tobacco, can be used as a sedative in more concentrated form, and has various medicinal applications. It is not, however, addictive. That part resides in the plant.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-24, 09:54 PM
"That's reassuring. Thank you again." replies Thanat, accepting the gift with gratitude. "You are being very kind. I hope to be able to return the favor one day..." He leaves the last sentence hanging, as if to invite a response.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-25, 04:17 AM
No need to thank me. If coyote become too dominant in a region, it is necessary to cull them.

In this case, the gnolls are becoming too dominant, and you - or your townspeople - will perform the culling for me. For this, Ishould be thanking you, no? So consider the khef a small consideration for your efforts.

That concludes the small talk of the evening. The druid rolls up with his wolf to keep him warm, and everyone goes to sleep. Or so I assume?

iTookUrNick
2015-02-25, 07:23 AM
You assume correctly. Better get some rest.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-25, 09:47 AM
In the morning, the druid has already disappeared with the same suddenness with which he appeared. Apparently the man has a low regard for social constructions. In his place, however, are two small vials.

Felidae sets to cooking up some breakfast, the primary component of which is a strong cup of coffee. In the distance, the mesas loom. And between two of them, the crevasse mentioned by the druid.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-26, 08:03 AM
In the morning, the druid has already disappeared with the same suddenness with which he appeared. Apparently the man has a low regard for social constructions. In his place, however, are two small vials.

Felidae sets to cooking up some breakfast, the primary component of which is a strong cup of coffee. In the distance, the mesas loom. And between two of them, the crevasse mentioned by the druid.
Thanat picks up the two vials, then passes one to Felidae. He accepts the coffee and sips it slowly, staring off towards their destination.
"Are you ready for this?" he eventually asks Felidae "I expect you had a very restful night, thanks to the druid's tobacco. Any dreams of note?"
Before setting in motion, he summons his familiar. It's always better to have an extra pair of eyes and ears. Blackwing he whispers.
Back to Felidae: "Let's talk strategy as we walk. We are not that close yet."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-26, 08:45 AM
Slept like a baby. I do feel slightly out of sorts today though - I wonder if there was something fishy about that tobacco?

Anyhow, I'm as ready as I'll ever be. And you already know what I do well, right? I'm decent with a bow, less so with a sword - and personally a bit disinclined to fight up close and personal with a two meter gnoll that could snap me like a twig.

If we get the chance to set up ahead of time, I can rig an area with some traps and snares and such.

Other than that, I assume you'll magic them to death with green fire from the skies. And you know - stuff like that.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-26, 09:29 AM
"Actually, I do not know any fire spells, so that you know. Never thought much of them, to be honest. Today I am armed with a couple sleep spells and a crossbow. If things get dicey I can provide some emergency measures, but let's avoid being caught if we can. I expect the druid's gift will give us an edge on that." Hopefully...

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-26, 01:01 PM
Sleep spells? She doesn't sound too impressed. Frankly you get the impression that raining fire from the skies sounds pretty awesome to her. That druids tobacco was a pretty fine sleep spell. She laughs at her own joke.

You set off soon as the coffee is done, heading towards the mesas. It's another day of undramatic travel, until that evening you make camp in the shadow of the first mesa. The wyrlings are more numerous here, this - presumably - being a preferred nesting ground for them. A voice at the back of your mind whispers that in numbers they are actually fairly dangerous to humans.

As Felidae builds a tiny smokeless fire under some rocks to make a halfway decent meal for you, Blackwing returns from scouting above.

CAW! He says, in greeting. We're being watched.

The area looks pretty much like this. Below the mesas the grassland is fairly fertile, but it's apparent it's been a while since last it rained. If large numbers of gnoll reside here, they must be bringing in food from somewhere else.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120116113917/yugioh/images/3/3d/DragonRavine-TF06-JP-VG-Area.png

iTookUrNick
2015-02-26, 07:10 PM
Thanat, as always, nods politely at the raven before adressing it. "Who is watching us, and from where?", he asks in a whisper, trying to remain casual in his demeanor.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-27, 12:59 AM
CAW! An animal. A buzzard. Blackwing points with his beak towards the sky, where a buzzard is indeed circling above you.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-27, 03:07 PM
"That's a big bird..." comments Thanat laconic. "Felidae, what do you think: will that thing give us trouble? Can we shoot it down or otherwise scare it away?". As he speaks, he calmly embraces the crossbow that he had left leaning against a nearby rock.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-27, 03:35 PM
((Buzzards are birds of prey - not all of them are large. This one is larger than a hawk, but smaller than an eagle))

Felidae looks at the bird, which is easily 50 meters above you.

If you can hit that, you're a better archer than I am. But it's not like it's going to swoop down and eat us either. I suppose we should worry about it spying on us ... like your - thing. Whatever that is. Blackwing.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-27, 05:31 PM
"Indeed, that's what i fear as well. It would not do to be caught unaware in the night. Blackwing, can you try and bait it into flying a little lower? It seems it's just out of range of my sleep spell, and if it's truly watching us I'd rather not leave it be".

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-27, 05:54 PM
Blackwing agrees to try. There follows a time of some amusement, as the two birds chase each other around to no real effect. The buzzard is clearly too clever to let itself be lured into bow range. Eventually though, it simply flies off.

Do you want to set camp for the night - or relocate?

Felidae suggests you could use the druids potions to move out of sight. But then if you do, you wont be able to use them to set up an ambush later ... or some such.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-28, 02:08 AM
We relocate, with care not to leave an obvious trail, but without using the druid's potions. If we happen upon a torrent or similar, we use it to confound would be trackers

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-28, 04:53 AM
You travel yet a few more hours into the night, taking pains to leave no tracks. It's fully dark when you finally settle to sleep, and you basically just keel over and sleep - after taking necessary precautions of course.

It's actually Nightwing who wakes you.

Caw! He says, actually slightly less loud than usual, Runners, to the east. Don't worry - they're not coming for us.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-28, 10:36 AM
Thanat wonders whether or not to wake up Felidae as well, then decides to get some more info first.
"That's good for us, I guess. Where are they going, then? Towards the town? And how many are we taking here: a few, a dozen, or more?" Just let me go back to sleep please...

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-28, 11:59 AM
There are two. They go towards those mountains over there. Blackwing points with his beak towards the two mesas the druid indicated - where the ravine is.

Felidae, btw, is already awake. If grumpy, in the pre-coffee style.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-28, 12:48 PM
"Oh, you are awake. Good, I guess. No need to worry about waking you anymore..." comments Thanat when he notices Felidae is up. He's thinking about their next move. "Did you get that? - he asks - Two runners going for the ravine. We could try and intercept. Or we could stick with the plan and go in tomorrow.... uhm..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-28, 12:54 PM
You're the boss, boss. But hey, the ravine isn't going anywhere, right? So maybe this can wait until after coffee?

She looks at you, hopefully.

On the other hand, maybe if we follow them they will reveal something ..... secret?!

Nothing Felidae says or does is to be considered game play hints. Her primary job is to entertain, and help out with skills and combat prowess. I do use her to present obvious alternatives, but she will provide neither specifically good or bad avenues. Just ... avenues =)

iTookUrNick
2015-02-28, 01:40 PM
Oh yeah, I thought so. I was actually taking the time in real life to decide :D
Thanat reaches a conclusion. "No, this might be our lucky break. We go immediately." To Felidae, more lightheartedly: "Sorry about the coffee. But you could try and suck on one of those beans: who knows, it might make you feel better..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-28, 01:53 PM
Right boss - immediately. Despite her initial reluctance, Felidae snaps into action efficiently and quickly. Suddenly, you see her in a new light. She might not be on the level of the imperial infantry - but she's a seasoned combat veteran in her own right.

iTookUrNick
2015-02-28, 02:29 PM
When they are done lifting their bare camp, Thanat says: "Alright, let's move. Keep the druid's potion handy." I just wish I had asked what it was for exactly...

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-28, 02:40 PM
The druid made it pretty clear that they are for 'not being seen'. He might have been able to be a bit more specific though.

Packing up camp takes a matter of seconds. Rolling up bed rolls, throwing on back packs. One thing that is cause for some concern is the horses: If you mount up, you will be spotted pretty much instantly. Right now they are out of sight - sheltered by large rocks at the base of the mesas. If you pursue (and want to be unseen), you do so on foot.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-01, 07:05 AM
"We do not know how long the druid's potion will last: we should drink it when we are close to our objective." Thanat looks at their mounts: "We'll have to leave the horses, obviously. I can only hope we'll be able to come back and collect them once we are done..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-01, 08:59 AM
Felidae assures you the horses are better trained than that - they will stay put unless they come under threat.

The gnolls are tall, and thus easy enough to keep in sight, but on the other hand they are fast and durable runners, so if you want to keep up, you'll need to hustle.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-01, 09:19 AM
So be it, then. Let's just hope their destination is nearby.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-01, 01:41 PM
You follow the two gnolls across the plains towards the ravine. Soon enough, the two of them disappear down the slope and out of view.

The grasslands are reasonably fertile, despite getting somewhat irregular rainfall for most of the year. However, every spring and every fall, torrential rains pour across the entire plain - and it is this rain that has carved out the ravine, where the water pours down between two mesas that happen to be close together.

It is dry now, and as you get close enough to see, it looks slightly hazardous: It's a long, twisting slope of loose screen and unstable footing. The two gnolls are out of sight, but you can hear their passage echoing around the ravine.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-01, 03:06 PM
Any time a dice roll is to be made, I do not mind you rolling for me to save time. Link to my sheet is in my sig.
Thanat looks dubiously down the ravine. He considers using the druid potion but decides against it: they would need something not no be heard, not seen. Instead, he gestures for Felidae to keep going with extra care. He also asks Blackwing to keep an eye on their quarry as they navigate the treacherous path.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-01, 03:39 PM
You continue down along the ravine, as it twists and turns it's way down into shadow. Felidae takes the lead, as she is better at moving stealthily. At one point, she looks back over your shoulder and says did it also occur to you that this place would be perfect for an ambush?. She smiles wickedly. You're unsure why.

Felidae:
Move silently: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Thanat:
Move silently: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

No sooner have you consumed her little statement than you hear the sound of someone coming down the ravine above you.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-01, 03:45 PM
Thanat manages to repress the urge to curse as he hears the sound coming from above. His hand goes to the druid's potion and he gulps it down in one swallow, then moves to hide. His eyes stay on Felidae: surely she wouldn't... :smalleek:

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-01, 04:16 PM
As you drink the potion, your skin and clothing changes colours to match the surroundings. Felidae follows suit, and the two of you find places to stay out of sight among the rocks and vegetation.

Soon, the hunting calls of the gnolls echo through the ravine - from both sides of you. You are in a small, level area, rugged terrain with some obstacles, rocks and brush.

The space you're in is 3 squares wide by 8 long. You're both hidden in the middle. At either far end of this space, the ravine narrows - to the west, it narrows to one square, and goes on like that for another 8 squares. The other way to the east, is narrows to 2x2, then to one square. You came from the east.

You may roll initiative. You're not in combat rounds yet though.

I should point out that it sounds like they mean business. You hear rather a lot of them.

Oh ... and roll some spot, too. Remember the bird.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-01, 04:40 PM
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
"Hearld, I should have asked sooner: what happens to a summon if it gets thorn to pieces? Will it be lost forever?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-01, 05:03 PM
The Host are not immortal, Lord. But they are expendable. The world is nothing if not full of souls. Of course each is different - but they serve equally.

As you and Blackwing look about, you see a cloaked figure watching from atop the cliffs. Heavy furs, a gnarly old staff, and a buzzard perched on his shoulder. As he sees you watching him, he turns and stalks off.

Felidae, initiative: [roll0]

iTookUrNick
2015-03-02, 12:05 PM
Thanat watches the man stalk off. He must be involved somehow, he thinks. Still, they are in no position to find out. He looks around again: by the sound of it there are too many enemies to fight, even if by surprise. What they need is a distraction. When everyone's attention is turned elsewhere, the two of them will slip quietly dow the path. Thanat gestures to Felide that he means to continue down the path later on, and that she should wait for his clue.

Herald, on my mark, bring forth the Fury.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-02, 12:45 PM
You do hear approaching enemies from both sides. It would be a sloppy ambush if you could simply sneak off =)

However, you're both out of sight, meaning you have the chance of a counter ambush. And .... .... don't be timid, I'm not setting you up to lose. Go big, man. Destroy them! =)

iTookUrNick
2015-03-02, 12:55 PM
.... don't be timid, I'm not setting you up to lose. Go big, man. Destroy them! =)
That goes to show we have not been gaming at the same table :smallsmile:

As the enemy approaches, Thanat remembers the scrolls he made. He frantically scrambles for one: Mage Armor. He unfurls the small piece of parchment and activates its magic on himself, speaking with the lowest voice he can manage. Then he makes one last gesture to Felidae: we fight.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-02, 03:07 PM
Felidae readies her bow, and sights down towards the west - where the enemy must come one at a time, at most.

At the same time, the herald replies:

I stand ever ready, Lord. Command, and it shall be as you wish.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-03, 01:44 AM
Hearld, cover our backs: call forth Despair and have him hold up enemies in the east until we are done dealing with the ones on the other side. Have him act defensively if you can: we need time to dispatch the others. And if one of them tries to strike at me, do what you can to deflect the blow.

That a said, Thanat turns westward as well. He has his crossbow in hand, and he is ready to magic to sleep the first group of Gnolls that shows up.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-03, 09:57 AM
Everything is silent for a while - then a hunting call, a long yipping laugh, shatters the silence, and the gnolls come running. There are many of them, more than you even thought there would be. Sporting a range of wicked weapons and patchwork armor, they charge into the open bit of the ravine you occupy. However, since you've hidden yourselves well, they falther slightly without a clear target to cut down.

And so ... the herald speaks, his whispered voice somehow audible despite the din of battle:

Arise, Despair - guard the east, and let none pass!

Ardvil rises from the ground, tendrils of icy fog curling at his feet. Even at a distance, you feel the aura about him - utter hopelessness, the crushing knowledge that things are as bad as they can possibly be, and they will remain that way, for ever. And ever.

Roll initiative. Also, you have a surprise round. For this, the gnolls have no dex, and since they are charging, you get an additional +2 to attack rolls.

I shall roll for Felidae and Ardvil.

Damage: [roll1]

Ardvil: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

iTookUrNick
2015-03-03, 03:36 PM
I believe we already rolled for initiative: Thanat 10, Felidae 9, Blackwing 9 (not that he has much to do). Let me know if I need to roll again, or feel free to do it yourself to speed things up.

Can we get a rough estimate of the numbers arrayed against our 'heroes', that they can see?

In any case, Thanat will open up with a sleep spell, trying to catch multiple enemies in its AoE. It there's another group still up, either east or west, he will cast another of the same, otherwise he will use his crossbow.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-03, 03:59 PM
You did? When did this ... OMG YOU DID?! Aha ... right, well that's in order then.

Numbers are tricky, because the ravine twists - but you can see six thus far, three from each side. Sleep is fine, but ... when you cast spells, I'd appreciate stuff like save dc's. It's 14, I know, but it's (likely) easier for you to remember than for me.

Front two gnolls, saves:
Gnoll 1: [roll0]
Gnoll 2: [roll1] (berserker - a little less wise than the average gnoll)

The third one is the one Felidae aims for. However, she misses, so nothing comes of that.

One gnoll falls under the influence of Thanats spell, dropping head first into the ground. The other shakes off the spell, and continues on. Now, it is in the nature of gnolls to charge - but they have the terrain against them. They come on as fast and as hard as they can, but over all the rubble, stringy brush and other hindrances, that doesn't amount to much.

((and that's it for the surprise round - you go again on regular initiative, then it's the gnolls' turn))

iTookUrNick
2015-03-03, 04:28 PM
Sorry, I did not think of that. Will do next time...
Seeing as there are still at least two Gnolls standing on the east side and nothing else to stop them, Thanat cast another sleep spell and hopes for the best.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-03, 06:20 PM
Thanat casts another spell, Felidae ***** and shoots another arrow, and Ardvil swings his giant sword once more - all while the gnolls are still getting their bearings.

Ardvil: [roll2]

Gnoll 1: [roll4] still vs 14
Gnoll 3: [roll5]

In all the action, the dry whisper of the herald: The fury, lord - shall I call upon it?

As the two visible gnolls to the west both keel over, felidae swirls and puts her arrow in the gnoll Ardvil already wounded. It falls, as Ardvils sword describes a giant arc at the apex of which if cuts one gnoll cleanly in two.

More enemies round the corners, but all the three first ones are down to the west, and two of the ones east are quite dead.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-04, 01:26 AM
West side, please. Avoid sleeping targets. whispers Thanat as he aims his crossbow for the next enemy to arrive in that direction.
[roll0], [roll1], [roll2] (19-20/x2)

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-04, 03:18 AM
As you command!

The herald immediately summons the Fury, right on top of the sleeping targets. The swarm spreads out, filling a long space up the ravine. It is an ugly thing, even at a distance, filling you with a quiet dread. Felidae however, having never seen it before, actually takes a step back, swearing whoa f..., what is that thing?!

The swarm takes up three squares. In each of these squares there are two gnolls - one upright, one sleeping like a baby. They all take automatic damage. Then .... well then they will take damage again if the step into another area of the swarm. That means that the lead gnoll can escape, the next one takes more damage, and the last one takes even more damage.

And the poor saps who need to stand up have it worse than that.

On the other end, one gnoll tries to fight Ardvil, and another two try to run past him.

Swarm damage:
Gnoll 4: [roll0]
Gnoll 5: [roll1]
Gnoll 6 [roll2]
Poor sap 1: [roll3]
Poor sap 2: [roll4]
Poor sap 3: [roll5]

Ardvil, attack of opportunity: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Gnolls vs Ardvil: [roll8] - this is another berserker
Damage: [roll9]

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-04, 03:21 AM
As you command!

The herald immediately summons the Fury, right on top of the sleeping targets. The swarm spreads out, filling a long space up the ravine. It is an ugly thing, even at a distance, filling you with a quiet dread. Felidae however, having never seen it before, actually takes a step back, swearing whoa f..., what is that thing?!

The swarm takes up three squares. In each of these squares there are two gnolls - one upright, one sleeping like a baby. They all take automatic damage. Then .... well then they will take damage again if the step into another area of the swarm. That means that the lead gnoll can escape, the next one takes more damage, and the last one takes even more damage.

And the poor saps who need to stand up have it worse than that.

On the other end, one gnoll tries to fight Ardvil, and another two try to run past him.

Swarm damage:
Gnoll 4: [roll0]
Gnoll 5: [roll1]
Gnoll 6 [roll2]
Poor sap 1: [roll3]
Poor sap 2: [roll4]
Poor sap 3: [roll5]

Ardvil, attack of opportunity: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Gnolls vs Ardvil: [roll8] - this is another berserker
Damage: [roll9]

The eastern end of the ravine is a massacre. One gnoll manages to escape the Fury, barely hurt, while the others succumb almost immediately, panicked howls and screams to accompany the rivers they bleed in the last few moments of life.

Three gnolls are closing in. They don't have range on you - but next round they will.

No more seem to be coming.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-04, 04:44 PM
"I'll tell you what it's not: it's not trying to kill us" says Thanat to Felidae's hesitation. He cast one of his last remaining spells on the closest approaching enemy, trying to Daze it momentarily.
Daze: DC 13 Will or be dazed for 1 round

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-04, 05:25 PM
I rolled a d20 for damage. But no worries, I rolled off-screen instead, and it worked out as intended anyways.

Two gnolls make their way past Ardvil, but he isn't having any of that. Ignoring the gnoll attacking him, he turns in pursuit. The gnoll gets a free attack, but Ardvil shrugs it off like it was nothing. Of course not feeling any pain makes that less impressive than if he were still alive.

Felidae focusses on the gnoll approaching from the east, sending two quick shots at it ((and she gets a bonus to hit, because I have thus far forgotten she has rapid shot)).

Gnolls vs Ardvil: [roll0]

Ardvil vs Gnoll: [roll2]

Felidae vs. gnolls: [roll4] and [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] and [roll7]

The remaining gnoll gets the privilege of trying to save - will vs 13: [roll8]

Felidae is so sad right now.

Ardvil misses. That means all three gnolls finally have a chance reach Thanat and Felidae.

To avoid double posting ... I'll roll dice. 9/9/12/2 ... as follows:

First Ardvils AoO as a gnoll once again leaves his tackle zone. He cuts the gnoll down, further reducing the remaining number of enemies.

Two gnolls reach Thanat and Felidae. One strikes at Thanat, getting a 12 vs his ac of 19 I think, including mage armor. A miss. Another swings it's axe at Felidae, hitting 15 vs her ac of 17. Another miss. Finally, the last gnoll attacks Ardvil from behind, getting a 5 vs 15. Miss, miss, miss.

The turn goes once more to the heroes.

All of the above is, btw, without even counting that all enemies have -2 to attacks around Ardvil. So they do even worse. Gnolls are no match for you.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-05, 01:23 AM
Thanat's AC is 11 + 4 (mage armor) = 15. Still a miss for the Gnoll, fortunately. With total defense it does rise up to 19.
Thanat knows he is just not cut for melee combat. He does his best to avoid getting killed as he waits for reinforcements to arrive and help him out.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-05, 05:10 AM
Oh! You had already included that on your character sheet? Right.

Anyways, the fight is basically over.

The gnolls finally managed to make it into melee - but too late. As the fight commences, the Fury - left with no living targets to devour - starts moving towards the living gnolls that remain. As the survivors see that, their courage breaks, and they flee. Felidae sends a few parting shots after them, and downs another, but two manage to make their escape.

In the aftermath, Thanat and Felidae are unscathed in a fight vs. 12 gnolls. It wasn't a fair fight by any stretch of the imagination - 12 gnolls should have been able to finish of two humans with very little trouble. The dead litter the ground - some broken by Ardvil, others shredded by the Fury.

Felidae, already shocked by the appearance of the Fury, now also gets a closer look at Despair - and she is clearly terrified. Even when the herald dismisses your minions, she is still visibly shaken by her new knowledge of precisely what Thanat can do.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-05, 01:09 PM
Having survived the attack, it is time for Thant to manage the aftermath. "I see you have some concerns. I will address them as soon as you feel ready to listen" he says to Felidae, calmly. As a way of giving her space, he makes a cursory search of the bodies next to him.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-05, 04:02 PM
There is much to learn, if one is inclined to dig. There are tribal symbols - three different ones. Their equipment is questionable, and not made by gnolls, but neither is it kept well or matched particularly well. The gnolls themselves are different, different fighting styles and specialties, so to speak.

Common to all of them, they all carry gold. Gnolls society does not have a gold economy - they do not trade, they barter ... or simply take.

Felidae has some things to say. First When I'm ready to listen? You are surrounded by the walking dead, but when I'm ready to listen, we can sit down and have a chat about it? Sweet powers that be ..... I don't even know how to respond to that.

After staring at you for a while like you just threw her favourite kitten on the fire and tried to serve it with gravy, she comes around to another conclusion.

This took planning, you know? It's all rather neatly executed - lure us into the ravine, have a bunch of guys hidden just waiting for us to pass by, swarm us with numbers, kills us and let our bodies lie to be picked by birds and lizards, and our bones to be bleached by the sun and the rain. She can be almost poetic when the mood strikes her. Gnolls aren't like super big on planning.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-06, 04:56 PM
Sorry for the delay.

Also: gold is always useful.
"Indeed, someone planned this. And, taking a wild guess here, the old man with the buzzard companion might very well be a part of it. Did you see him, standing atop the ridge and looking at us right before the ambush? He probably did not want us to find out about what's happening here, which in my book is even more reason to solve this mystery."

Thanat finishes his quick looting and gestures toward the way the two surviving gnolls fled. "Let's go. It might be too late, but it would do not to make the enemy aware of what capabilities we possess. Speaking of which... well, you can imagine why I did not tell you about them beforehand. You can also imagine what would have happened if I had not acted the way i did: it would be us lying dead on the ground. I knew there might be some... awkwardness related to the subject. But if we agree that we had the right, the duty even, to defend ourselves, what does it matter if we do it by raining green fire upon our enemies or by an other mean?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-06, 06:40 PM
I did see him.

He didn't much look like a gnoll, did he?

The two of you follow the gnolls - but gnolls are legendary runners, and the two of you are not. There is no trace of the cloaked man with the buzzard. You look around for some hours, but to no avail - with their ambush failed, they have vacated the scene.

Another thing you do find out, however. The ravine isn't very large. It's a few hundred feet long at last, 40-50 feet deep at it's deepest - and it offers very little in the way of tracks, caves or other signs that large numbers of gnolls are hiding here.

As you make camp that evening, you're both a little uncertain what to think.

The total value of stuff you decide to keep - mostly gold - amounts to 1200 gp. One of the gnolls had a potion of heal light wounds, another had a remarkably well crafted dagger.

Perhaps more importantly, your experiences leave you hardened, stronger, and with greater ability. Ding! Level up!

Oh, and I forgot something important. But never mind for now - we'll get to that.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-07, 04:08 PM
Nice! Quick question: what's your preferred method for HPs? Do I roll, or can I take the average?
"It certainly did not" says Thanat, thinking back. "It looked like... a druid. Perhaps we should go back and look for last night's host: he might be able to shed some light on the matter...".

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-08, 07:03 AM
Think it was the druid? Could be, certainly, it's not like they are on our side or anything. But why would he be on the side of the gnolls though?

She thinks for a moment.

He might not be too easy to find, you know. Being a druid and all, I think maybe we will only find him if he wants to be found.

Preferred method is 'roll dice - discard trash'. Trash being like 1's or 2's.

I want to touch on something that concerns me. A possible gameplay problem. The abilities Thanat has access to as The Necromancer are exceedingly powerful - but I just want to make sure you feel they are ... you know, fun. I try to design them to be strategic tools, which the last fight was meant to demonstrate, but I worry they might begin to .... they might seem to overshadow Thanat - which is naturally the opposite of the intention.

So don't hesitate to speak up if anything bothers you - since this is highly ... 'experimental' =)

iTookUrNick
2015-03-08, 02:41 PM
"That's a good question to which we need the answer" replies Thanat "It is still worth trying. It's not like we have any other lead, do we? But then, he did send us in the ravine where we got ambushed... I guess we'll need to be on our guard..."

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2]

As for gameplay, you are correct in saying the capabilities of the Host outweigh Thanat's own, and that they feel disjointed. However, having to rely on the capabilities of a fairly generic level 1 (now 2) solo wizard would really limit possible encounters. I do not have the numbers on Fury and Despair, but they look fairly close to two other spells: Summon Undead and Summon Swarm; they are powerful tools for the level but not exceedingly powerful.

What I think will/should happen is Thanat growing in power to match those capabilities, or even complementing them with his spells in a synergic fashion. At the same time, the host should grow in versatility, so that it offers some meaningful choice in its deployment.

Finally, if you think it's appropriate, you could put a burden of sorts on Thanat when he uses the host's capabilities (concentration checks, hp drain, chance for lost actions, you name it) so that it feels more of a trade off. That might be tricky to tune though.

In any case, as long as the plot/world is engaging, I do not think there is much to worry about. :smallsmile:

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-08, 03:30 PM
You know ... the way I see it, we know much more than we did. There are gnolls here. They are organized. As suspected. We just have no idea where they are.

Oh and I guess we know they have ... allies. Right?

iTookUrNick
2015-03-09, 12:10 PM
"I guess... it's not as juicy a news as I wanted to bring back, but it might have to do. Let's stop where we camped with the druid on our way here and, if he doesn't show up, we'll just head back. Maybe get a few more alchemical supplies along the way..."

The blue color threw me off at first. It's still Felidae, right?

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-09, 12:26 PM
Head back. Or get a better look at the land, somehow. Or try and draw them to us. Or ... find someone we could ask. Many options, really. But we could head back - partial confirmation is certainly a start. At the least, it gives the town time to marshall it's defences.

Blue? What blue?!

No, you're right, Felidae is teal. I was posting as Rakash just before, and it simply slipped my mind. Rakash, of course, being blue. And a different campaign.

Your choice where to go from here. Consider though that setting an ambush for you might well have been a waste of time ... if you were in the completely wrong end of the plains.

Regarding power levels and so on ... I try to design the Necromancer powers in such a way that they have utility to them. They are powerful, because if they weren't they'd be pointless - but how powerful they are has much to do with how they are used. Which is why this first encounter was sort of painfully obvious =)

Combined with the spells in Thanats repertoire, they may even become stronger still. I dunno.

Does Fury hurt Despair? Who can tell =)

iTookUrNick
2015-03-09, 02:43 PM
"I don't really fancy drawing a pack of angry Gnolls to me, to be honest, but certainly a little scouting would do no harm. Then we'll be off." decides Thanat. That's good enough.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-10, 04:43 PM
Various avenues for scouting present themselves. Most of them involve days of trecking across the open plains. Another could be climbing one of the mesas - they look kinda-sorta manageable. Other than that, Felidae is quick to (once again) suggest crystal balls, summoning demons or otherwise asking the aid of the arcane or otherworldly.

After a couple of hours have passed, she seems to have adjusted remarkably well to the fact that you conjure the dead.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-10, 06:19 PM
I knew she would, thinks Thanat as he sees Felidae's back to her previous confident self. Still, it will be necessary to tackle the subject of secrecy before they head back.

"You can't solve all your problems with magic" says Thanat, chiding Felidae. "Let's go up on one of those mesas. We'll get a better view for ourselves, and we can have Blackwing take a look as well where we need him to".

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-11, 08:50 AM
Of course you can solve all things with magic - that's what magic is all about. Are you sure you're a real wizard?

Selecting a mesa and trying to reach the top takes you the rest of the day. It is pretty uneventful, except for the time Thanat slips and nearly falls to his death, but Felidae manages to grab onto his robes at the last moment.

It is more than 300 feet tall, the plateau in top being about the same across. From up here, you can see an enormous distance in all directions - you realise, after a while, that you can even see Mountainshade, a tiny, hazy blip on the horizon. You can see herds grazing animals, wandering plains centaurs far to the south, and grass, grass grass.

And then, of course, there are the wyrlings. Basically you had no idea, and it's pure luck for you their nests are on the cliffs below, and not here on the plateau. Even so, they dislike your presence, and fly about loudly objecting to your presence for a while.

The sun is setting. You're staying the night. But hey - maybe you can make a wyrling omelette? =)

iTookUrNick
2015-03-12, 01:51 AM
Let's leave those eggs be, please. Unless they possess any alchemical use, in which case bring it on! :smalltongue:

Thanat spends a little time forming a mental picture of the land around them, then decides a mental picture is not enough and takes out his writing tools, sketching up a rough map. It might be useful to the town folks.

As they set up for the night, with blackwing on guard duty, Thanat decides to breach a very delicate subject: "So, Felidae. I was wondering if you had any residual concerns regarding the things you've seen me doing on this trip. I'm happy to see you reacted quite well to that discovery, but I really wish you to appreciate how difficult it might be for some other people, and therefore how I do not wish to be public knowledge..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-12, 05:53 AM
Wyrlings have a venom that might be interesting, but it's not rumored to be particularly potent. It's pretty sure to not be present in the eggs though.

You draw a map, which while reasonably accurate has few proper landmarks. You have the town, the mesas, the river - and huge swathes of plains. You can fill in details like 'here be centaurs', but those are likely to migrate with the season. Or not, who can tell?

Don't worry, your secrets are safe with me. As long as your monsters stay under control, and don't go rampaging through my home town - that would sort of force me to put you down. So you've got an iron grib on those things, right? And you'd never sic them on us. Right?

iTookUrNick
2015-03-13, 04:31 PM
"Right." There's little to add to that.

Thanat makes use of the dying light to scribe one of his spells for further use, then prepares for the night.

Sorry about the delay. I've been swamped.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-13, 05:07 PM
Thanat sits down and buries his attention and concentration to scribing a scroll - while Felidae secures the camp. As the sun sets, you feel Felidae at your shoulder.

You should propably see this, she says. There is a tone of slight worry in her tone.

You look up, first at her - then, as realisation dawns, your gaze is drawn out into the night. Onto one of the other mesas.

It wouldn't be visible to anyone below. All of the camp fires are in pits. In the dry plains air, and with no clouds to reflect the light, there would basically be nothing to give it away - not unless someone crawled to the top of another mesa. But there it is: Dozens of small fires, hundreds of shapes visible among them.

There are numerous questions still unanswered. But you have found the gnolls.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-14, 10:30 AM
"By the gods, no wonder nobody could find them!" says Thanat, amazed both at the scope of such an endeavor and at their luck in finding out. "We must tell someone. But, and I realize this is pushing it a little, if only we could get a clue about what's going on there..."

"Blackwing, come to me" he summons. He bows to the bird in salute, as usual, thinking over an idea that might just work.
"Felidae, you reckon there would be wirmlings on those mesas as well, don't you?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-14, 10:42 AM
There's no way they all climb up and down. What, with weapons, armor and supplies and everything? No way.

Yea, there'll be wyrlings over there as well, certainly. Also it's dark. Of course, gnolls are primarily nocturnal, but they don't see too far in the dark. You can usually sneak up to like 3 score feet of them unseen.

You know something else? So many gnolls together? They could assault the town and win. Right? There's a reason that's never happened before. They don't really work together very well. At all. More likely to tear each others throats out than form armies.

So something is keeping them in check. Making them work together. Remove that - or push their natural tendencies - would be worth considering.

Not that I have any idea how to do either.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-14, 12:30 PM
"There's a little spell I've been working on lately that might be useful in this situation. I hope, at least."
Thanat calls Blacking to his arm, then whispers a few words. The bird seems to suddenly transform in an ordinary wyrling.
"Go and take a look over there." instructs Thanat "but be careful. Don't stay too long, stay out of sight, and report back to us. In particular, see if there are creatures other than gnolls in the camp, and what is happening."
I cast Disguise self on the familiar.

in other news, I've decided what I want to do with Thanat build wise: I want to build him as an illusionist. It just makes sense, considering what he needs to do.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-15, 04:10 AM
Thus disguised, the bird flies off. Mere illusions, however, are not enough to could it's disturbing aspect. Tendrils of smoky darkness still drip from it, and trail it as it flies. But hey, no one will notice that at night, right? Well you hope so.

As it fades from sight in the darkness, you consider that wyrlings - being lizards and all - are very much not nocturnal. Never mind. Gnolls wouldn't know that. Propably.

Time passes. You start to worry.

But ... then it returns, unscathed.

CAW! says the lizard, There are many gnolls, many dogs. Three men. One large creature unknown to me.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-15, 07:06 AM
Thanat is relieved at the sight of his familiar returning. "Can you describe these men and that creature for me?" he asks. The link between familiar and wizard is supposed to transfer some of the latter's knowledge to the former, but the transfer is far from complete.

Whatever the answer, it is time to think about going back to Mounainside.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-15, 09:52 AM
CAW! The men carried no shinies. The creature was ... strange. Wooden, unfinished. Hard to describe.

The bird - or bird analog spirit creature - is neither of entirely adequate intelligence (yet), nor by inclination interested in quite the details you might want. But you can try to ask more specifically. I realise the above isn't quite as helpful as you'd like, but it's all true =)

iTookUrNick
2015-03-15, 10:49 AM
"Unfinished... You mean it was made, like a construct? Was it moving at all?
And the men, were they old or young? Were they carrying weapons, or wearing armor? What did you se them doing?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-15, 11:30 AM
Caw! he tilts his head, Like carved, but not done. Or grown, but not done. Wooden. Alive.

The men carried sticks, two of them. No shinies you realise that shinies may refer to metal objects like armor or swords. They were not young. Oh! And that bird was there.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-16, 01:46 AM
"Well, it's nice to have independent confirmation, I guess... As for the thing, determining its exact nature is not essential right now, though at this point it would be a safe bet to think it is some sort of druid-y animated tree-thing."
Thanat asks his final question: "Was there a wolf straying with one of the other men?" If it did, it would make things clearer. If not, it would not mean anything.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-16, 04:08 AM
Many dogs. Wolves are likely also dogs. Blackwing is unable to determine it one of these is the one you saw previously.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-16, 12:39 PM
Thanat surrenders himself to the idea that he will not find out anything else tonight. No matter, what they have is more than enough. He moves as if to pet Blackwing on the head, but then thinks better of it. "Well done, Blackwing" he praise instead. To Felidae: "Let's plan for an early start tomorrow. i do not need to tell you how important it is for us to report back to Mountainshade".

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-16, 12:51 PM
It goes almost without saying.

You eat, drink, talk a little. Then, as the very last glow fades and the stars come out, you settle down to sleep.

This, of course, is when the drums start. It's not music as such, not a beat you could dance to or even particularly enjoy. No, rather it's the kind of beat you'd associate with pulling on heavy oars. It's a work beat.

There is much noise from the neighboring mesa. They are not having a party. They are breaking camp.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-16, 02:22 PM
"Sounds like trouble" comments Thanat, groaning inside at the thought of what's coming next. "I guess it's time for us to move out, if we do not want our news to be meaningless..."

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-16, 02:32 PM
The horses are at the foot of the mesa. Safe, I hope. The gnolls are fast runners, and near tireless - but they cannot keep up with a good horse. And I picked good horses for us. She muses for a moment. Actually, I suspect Ranold has been waiting to discuss my selection with me ever since he had a chance to find out which ones I picked.

She motions to the camp - the gesture seeming to mean 'is there anything here you feel we absolutely need to pack'?

iTookUrNick
2015-03-17, 01:44 AM
"Glad to hear that" comments Thanat with sincerity. "Take only what we need to get back. Let's not waste any more time".

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-17, 04:30 PM
Felidae grabs only the saddlebags - where the food is - and runs off to where you scaled the cliff. As you follow, you look over your shoulder. The gnolls are clearing their mesa at rather an alarming rate. And they are not climbing down or any such thing. You have no idea how they get up or down, but it's not climbing, that's for sure.

At the foot of the mesa, you find the horses. All is well, and you happen to be on the far side of where the gnolls are - and on the right side in relation to the town. You set off, as fast as possible.

Ordinarily, you'd never ride a horse hard, in the night, with no vision. But basically, you have no choice - the gnolls are fast, and you quite simply have to be faster.

I'd like some checks - and any plans you may have. Or questions, if there's something I didn't cover.

First up: Ride check. You get a +2 for Felidae assisting you.
Second: Constitution check. No dc - but the longer you're capable of pushing on, the better.

That should do for now.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-17, 04:36 PM
No questions at the moment, no plans save for getting back asap.
[roll0], [roll1]

Edit: aaaand... not a rider. Dratz.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-17, 05:28 PM
.... you do nothing else? Like, for instance, cast light spells for whenever the terrain is the roughest or similar?

iTookUrNick
2015-03-18, 01:33 AM
Yes, that would be sensible, even if it's only for 20 min.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-18, 06:18 AM
Yes, but you can cast several. Like, I dunno, 3? Without checking I'm not really sure.

Night riding is fun and full of excitement. So fun and exciting that at one point you come upon a small brook among the tall grass that you had no chance of seeing in advance. Your horse stumbles, and you are thrown from the saddle. Luckily, Felidae had asked for light already - sensing a change in the terrain. In the glow from your spell, you have just an instant to realise a jagged, broken old spear has lodged in the ground here (for reasons unknown). You barely manage to roll aside, rather than be impaled.

The fall is still anything but pleasant, but luckily the horse seems to be fine, and you're able to remount (if in a slightly wobbly manner) and ride on.

You take three points of damage from the fall. If you like, you can look around - or you can take the broken spear, if you desire. Otherwise ... you reach town in the morning of the second day of travel. The gnolls will be something like 12 hours behind, provided they travel all out, and attack immediately. These things are conjecture of course, you have no way of knowing for sure until you see them.

iTookUrNick
2015-03-18, 04:33 PM
I can, but only if I take no less than 15 minutes to prepare. Which I should, I guess. :smallsmile:
Thanat looks around the broken speak, more to regain his composure than anything. Getting impaled by accident is a bad way to go... and then they are off. They travel as fast as they dare, knowing that being reckless if not counterproductive.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-18, 06:02 PM
Cantrips are not prepared and memorized. They are like snap-your-fingers magic. You just do that.

The rules may state differently - but blech.

There was a battle here - long ago. The spear was clearly meant for use from horseback, and just as clearly of human make. The reason why it's positioned so dangerously is because it's still in the ribcage of the gnoll it was used to kill.

But the spear tip is bronze. This was a long time ago - long before Mountainshade was founded. You wonder just how long this has been going on, back and forth.

It's still a long ride back to town, but you manage it. From time to time you spy a buzzard, over your shoulder and high in the sky. It's not always there - but every once in a while, it's up there.

It's a relief when you finally spot fields around you, and see the town walls in the distance. As you approach, a bell is rung, and when you reach the gate, Ranold is already there, awaiting your report.