PDA

View Full Version : Fiery Burst / Acidic Splatter Archivist (low level)

VariSami
2015-01-05, 09:04 AM
Hi,

I have been studiously creating pre-made characters (level 5) for a few sessions' game this month, and would like to add some reusable firepower to the group's divine caster. While generally not optimal, I have settled on the idea of a reserve feat (preferably Fiery Burst for small-time crowd control) but would like to have some help finding an usable 3rd level [fire] spell (or [acid] if the former cannot be found) which an archivist may add to its prayerbook. Thus far, it seems as though Fireball might not be available as a domain spell (no divine magicians; it's a line I am not willing to cross), and the best I could find in the Spell Compendium was "Fire Wings" as a 3rd level Druid spell but it does not allow casting other spells with somatic components for its duration.

I would really appreciate a quick answer so that I could finish the character appropriately. Thanks in advance.

Deophaun
2015-01-05, 09:16 AM
Heightened produce flame. Works as a 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell as well.

VariSami
2015-01-05, 09:41 AM
Heightened produce flame. Works as a 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell as well.

Heighten spell would indeed have been a possibility, but the only other feat slot is tied with Academic Priest which allowed dumping Wisdom to achieve SAD. But I appreciate the advice otherwise. Fire Wings might turn out to be decent because at least the reserve feat does not require somatic components to use (if two were prepared beforehand). But if anyone has a better spell in mind, it would be helpful.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-01-05, 09:58 AM
Darkfire (SpC, Cleric 3), Furnace Within (RoE, Cleric 3), Wreath of Flames (DrM, Drd 3)

Darrin
2015-01-05, 10:51 AM
Darkfire (SpC, Cleric 3), Furnace Within (RoE, Cleric 3), Wreath of Flames (DrM, Drd 3)

Also: control temperature (Frostburn, Dru/Sor/Wiz 3), greenfire (Unapproachable East, Dru 3), and venomfire (Serpent Kingdoms, Clr/Dru 3). The last two are [acid].

VariSami
2015-01-05, 11:00 AM
Okay, great, thank you! I cannot believe I forgot about Darkfire after skimming over it. It is hardly optimal but might just do for present purposes. Too bad that Furnace Within has a Dwarf requirement since the character is a lesser tiefling.

But really, thanks for the prompt answers!

Chronos
2015-01-05, 12:06 PM
Wouldn't Summon Monster III work, as you can summon a fire elemental, and summoning a fire creature makes it a fire spell?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-01-05, 12:24 PM
Wouldn't Summon Monster III work, as you can summon a fire elemental, and summoning a fire creature makes it a fire spell?

It only becomes a fire spell at the moment of casting, not when it's prepared. The same problem applies to any spell with a variable descriptor depending on decisions you make when casting.

Khedrac
2015-01-05, 04:58 PM
Also remember that the usefulness of the spell is (nearly) irrelevant, as casting it removes your ability to toss the mini fireballs to maximum effect.