PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife + Psionic Weapon question

Aerlock
2007-03-31, 05:00 PM
Does a Soulknife with Psionic Weapon gain the benefit of the feat if he chooses to use the throw mind blade class ability?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-31, 05:13 PM
No. The feat only applies to attacks made with a melee weapon. When you throw a weapon, it is considered a ranged weapon for that attack, even if it is normally used as a melee weapon.

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-31, 05:25 PM
No. The feat only applies to attacks made with a melee weapon. When you throw a weapon, it is considered a ranged weapon for that attack, even if it is normally used as a melee weapon.

A short-sword is a melee weapon. If you're throwing it, it's being used as a ranged weapon, but it doesn't stop being a melee weapon.
I'm gonna need some backup on that.

The Glyphstone
2007-03-31, 05:38 PM
^Well, that's sort of what Psionic Shot is for.

But interestingly, look at the wording of the two feats. Psionic Shot specifically says a Ranged "attack" gets the bonus damage, while Psionic Weapon says an "attack made with a melee weapon". Intentional, or a slip-up?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-31, 06:45 PM
I'm gonna need some backup on that.
Having trouble finding the explicit FAQ mention. Might just be misremembering some not-FAQ-yet Sage Advice.

Ultimately though, it's the same sort of situation as with the One-Handed vs. Two-Handed designation which I can find on page 37 of the current FAQ. Designation depends on how it's used.

A pretty close precedent:

Does a spear count as a melee weapon or a ranged
weapon for the purpose of qualifying for the Weapon Mastery feats (Player’s Handbook II, 81–82)?

Both, actually, although you can gain the benefit of only one feat or the other at any one time, and only when using the weapon in the appropriate manner.

For example, if you have Melee Weapon Mastery (piercing), you’d apply the feat’s benefit only when using the spear in melee, not when throwing it.
The answer is clearly based off of the concept that a weapon has melee or ranged designation depending on how it is being used. Otherwise, you'd still get the benefit of Melee Weapon Mastery with a thrown spear because it hasn't lost it's melee weapon status.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-03-31, 10:41 PM
I go straight like this with it.

Psionic Weapon is for melee attacks
Psionic Shot is for ranged attacks

That's how I would DM it. If they meant for them to be interchangeable, then there wouldn't be two seperate feats, IMO. They both do the exact thing. When they reprint the feat (if they reprint thefeat) I'm sure the updated version is going to be more straight forward.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-01, 11:36 AM
I go straight like this with it.

Psionic Weapon is for melee attacks
Psionic Shot is for ranged attacks
Right.

Basically, "Attack with a melee weapon" is another way of saying, "melee attack."

Same with ranged.