PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Entombed, Living Weapon Race [WIP] [PEACH]

Fallenreality
2015-01-05, 08:52 PM
Very much a work in progress. I was having trouble finding a race of living weapons that matched my ideas on the subject. This is a fairly powerful race, especially in campaigns with low amounts of gear, but I feel it works well. All suggestions are appreciated!

I'm currently using the 3.5 Living Construct subtype as there is nothing similar to it in Pathfinder.

Entombed

Those now known as the Entombed were once the people of an ancient and thriving empire. No one knows for sure how they came to their current state, all that is known is that one day, the entire empire vanished, their cities buried beneath the ground. When the cities were uncovered, they were found filled with intricate weapons. The explorers who had discovered the ruins attempted to take some of these weapons, and suddenly those weapons began to grow a humanoid form that appeared to be part spirit, part steel and stone. Having almost no memory of their former lives, the now awakened spirits are attempting to rebuild their cities and struggle with what many perceive as a curse.

Physical Description:
Entombed can vary as wildly in appearance as their weapon forms. All are a humanoid form with a solid looking ghostly fog making up the limbs with metallic "armor" covering the fog.. The "armor" takes the place of skin, and generally has the same pattern of runes on it as the Entombed's weapon form. The ghostly mist can be any color, the color may not be changed, but it darkens or brightens in color slightly depending on mood. This mist is visible through the runes carved in the armor, as well as at major joints. The ratio of armor to mist visible on an Entombed varies by the individual. Entombed have a wide variety of facial features, with some heads that appear to mimic helmets or masks, to full defined faces made out of the fog. Most have what appears to be hair made out of the fog.

In weapon form they usually maintain an intricate look, with runes or symbols often carved into the blade. But this appearance can vary wildly depending on the modifications made by specific Entombed. The weapon forms are made entirely out of metal rather than the mist, except in the case of bows where the mist makes up the bowstring.

It has become popular among entombed smiths to find ways of modifying weapon forms in ways unique to the individual, without sacrificing utility. This practice is very commonplace among wealthier Entombed. There are a even a few Entombed who have modified their bodies to behave like more exotic weapons, such as Spiked Chains, Whips, Nets, or even Firearms!

Entombed will usually match their weapon form in some way, with dagger, rapier, and bow Entombed looking almost like Elves in build, whereas entombed of heavier weapons are often slightly broader in build than most humans. Despite technically being genderless, the humanoid forms of entombed tend to look similar to the gender of the Entombed before the curse.

Society: The Entombed are still in the process of rediscovering their way of life, and possibly changing it to fit in with the strange new world around them. Skilled Entombed are often encouraged to visit other nations to learn their ways. But no matter where an Entombed is, they are fiercely protective of others of their race, as well as those they consider their new family. Entombed are unable to reproduce, this is part of the reason Entombed are so protective of one another. The curse which originally spawned them has been lost to the ages.

Relations:
While Entombed do not remember much of their history, they maintain many of the skills they had in their former lives. They are valued in other cultures as tireless craftsmen and warriors. Despite their skill, others are often wary of them, due to the common belief of their cursed nature, as well as due to what knowledge exists about their former empire.

Alignment and Religion:
Entombed lean towards a lawful nature, but will also take on the general attitude of the country around them. While they have no personal religion, it is not uncommon for Entombed craftsmen to being worshiping the various gods of the nations they have taken to calling home. Very often leaning towards gods of battle or forge.

Adventurers:
Entombed make excellent adventurers, as they are very willing to explore and discover new places and pieces of history. When in a group for a long time, an Entombed will often consider those he is travelling with as his family, becoming very protective of them.

Names:
As very few Entombed remember the names they were given when they were alive, they often come up with their own or assimilate a name from the local culture. Those who choose their own names usually pick something related to their chosen craft. It is not uncommon to meet a warrior Entombed named Steel, or a smith named Forge. Often they will have their chosen name, as well as their assumed name from their chosen culture.

Standard Racial Traits:

Ability Scores:
Entombed have different strengths depending on the weapon they represent:
Longbow: +2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Str, Bow Entombed are fast and perceptive, but are weaker in the front lines
Dagger: +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con, Dagger Entombed rely on speed and intelligence to defend themselves, as they are not as durable.
Longsword: +2 Str, +2 Int, -2 Wis, Longsword Entombed are strong and intelligent, but often rash in their actions.
Greatsword: +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, Greatsword Entombed are strong and hearty but often less focused on intellectual persuits.
Rapier: +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Con, Rapier Entombed are fast and well spoken, but are frail. (Also usable for a Sword Cane)
Polearm: +2 Strength, +2 Wis, -2 Dex, Polearm Entombed have strength and know when to use it. But are often slower than their counterparts.
Scythe: +2 Strength, +2 Cha, -2 Wis, Scythe entombed are strong and mysterious, but often have trouble looking past what is going on in front of them.
Additional options are detailed in the Weapon From ability below.
Size/Type: Entombed are Medium Living Constructs.
Base Speed: Entombed have a base land speed of 30ft in humanoid form.
Languages: Entombed begin play speaking Common, and their choice of Elven, Gnomish, Dwarven, or Orcish. Entombed with high intelligence can learn any language except for secret languages.

Racial Traits:

Living Construct:
Unlike other constructs, a Entombed has a Constitution score.
Unlike other constructs, a Entombed is not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, and energy drain.
A Entombed cannot heal damage naturally.
Unlike other constructs, Entombed are subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.
As living constructs, Entombed can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a Entombed can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a Entombed is vulnerable to disable construct and harm. However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effect to a Entombed.
The unusual physical construction of Entombed makes them vulnerable to certain spells and effects that normally don’t affect living creatures. A Entombed takes damage from heat metal and chill metal as if he were wearing metal armor. Likewise, a Entombed is affected by repel metal or stone as if he were wearing metal armor. The iron in the body of a Entombed makes him vulnerable to rusting grasp. The creature takes 2d6 points of damage from the spell (Reflex half; save DC 14 + caster’s ability modifier). A Entombed takes the same damage from a rust monster’s touch (Reflex DC 17 half). Spells such as stone to flesh, stone shape, warp wood, and wood shape affect objects only, and thus cannot be used on the stone and wood parts of a Entombed.
A Entombed responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A Entombed with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than –10, a Entombed is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert Entombed does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
As a living construct, a Entombed can be raised or resurrected.
A Entombed does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but he can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes’ feast and potions.
Although living constructs do not need to sleep, a Entombed wizard must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

Weapon Form:
An Entombed has both a Humanoid and a Weapon form, and may shift between the two as a move action. The Entombed may also summon his weapon form while in Humanoid form as a move action, effectively allowing the Entombed to wield itself. The Entombed selects this weapon type at level 1 and gains bonus stats based on the chosen type. Once chosen this type can not be changed except through the Exotic Weapon Form Feat detailed below.

Form
Stat Bonus

Longbow
+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Str

Dagger
+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con

Longsword
+2 Str, +2 Int, -2 Wis

Greatsword
+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int

Rapier
+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Con

Polearm
+2 Strength, +2 Wis, -2 Dex

Scythe
+2 Strength, +2 Cha, -2 Wis

Light Crossbow
+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str

Heavy Crossbow
+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Str

Hand Axe
+2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Cha

Greataxe
+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Wis

Mace
+2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int

Greatclub
+4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis

Heavy Flail
+4 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Dex, -2 Int

Flail
+2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Con

Spear
+2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Dex

The Weapon Form appears as a masterwork weapon of the Entombed's selected weapon type, and gains new properties as it levels. An Entombed's Equipment shifts with them into their weapon form and remains undamaged.
If the Entombed's Weapon is Broken while in human form, he may reform it as a move action. If the Entombed is sundered while within weapon form, he may remove the broken condition as a swift action.

If the weapon created while in humanoid form is out of the Entombed's grasp for one round it disappears.

If the Entombed's weapon form is either a light or ranged weapon usable with two weapon fighting, he may manifest two of the weapon at once. These weapons are connected by a thin cord made of the ghostly mist.

While in Weapon Form the Entombed is unable to attack or move, but is able to use spells or abilities without somatic components.

Upon death the Entombed reverts to a non-magical, masterwork, weapon of his chosen type. He may be revived at a later date by using this weapon as the body. Upon revival his weapon regains all magical properties.

The Weapon Form has a hardness of 5 + 1/2 ECL + Con Modifier
When wielded by others the Weapon Form counts as an intelligent item with an Ego of ECL + Charisma Modifier

Level
Enhancement Bonus
Special

1 - 3
Masterwork Weapon, Blindsense 60ft, Telepathy, Ammo Generation, Proficiency

4-7
+1
+1 Keen Weapon

8-11
+2
+2 Keen Weapon, Elemental Enhancement, Blindsense 90ft

12-15
+4
+4 Keen Weapon, Aligned

16-19
+5
+5 Keen Weapon, Elemental Enhancement II, Blindsense 120ft

+5
+5 Keen Wounding Weapon

Proficiency: An Entombed automatically has proficiency in their chosen weapon form. Anyone wielding the Entombed while he is in his weapon form gains proficiency in his chosen form, due to the telepathic bond.
Blindsense: The Entombed loses it's racial Darkvision while in weapon form and replaces it with Blindsense as shown on the table.
Telepathy: The Entombed is able to talk telepathically with any creature wielding his/her weapon form. An Entombed is also able to speak normally while in their weapon form, with their voice appeared to come booming out of the air around the weapon.
Ammo Generation: A Bow Form Entombed is able to generate ammunition for his weapon. The Entombed treats his bow form as if it was under the effect of an Endless Ammunition Enchantment.
Elemental Enhancement: At 8th level the Entombed may pick from Flaming, Shock, Frost, and Corrosive and may apply this enhancement to his weapon form. This choice may not be changed after selection.
Aligned: At 12th level the Entombed's weapon form counts as a weapon of his alignment for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Elemental Enhancement II: At level 16 the Entombed's chosen elemental enhancement upgrades to Flaming Burst, Shocking Burst, Icy Burst, or Corrosive Burst, corresponding with the choice made at 8th level. This choice may not be changed after selection.

Entombed Regrowth:
Upon being killed an Entombed is able to revert to his weapon form to regrow his body. Upon death, the Entombed turns into his weapon form (if he is not already in it) for 1 week to recover. While in this state the Entombed counts as under the helpless condition and gains a temporary pool of hitpoints equal to 5 times his level. If the Entombed loses all of these hitpoints before recovering he is dead.

Racial Senses:
Darkvision: Entombed have darkvision out to 60ft.

Racial Feats:

Exotic Weapon Form:
Prerequisites: Entombed, Weapon Form Ability
Description: Through a complicated ritual an Entombed is able to change their weapon form to another. They must be within the same category of weapon. A Greatsword or Polearm Entombed may only become another Two Handed Weapon, whereas a dagger may only become another light weapon. A Rapier or Dagger form Entombed may select a Whip as their new form. An Entombed may select a form of firearm using this feat only if his current form is a crossbow or longbow.

Dancing Entombed:
Prerequisites: Entombed, Weapon Form Ability, level 10
Description: The Entombed may now move while within their weapon form with a flight speed of 10ft (perfect). The Entombed is now able to make attacks while in weapon form. But is still unable to perform spells with Somatic Components.

Ghostly Blade:
Description: An Entombed with this feat has a close connection to his spirit half and manifests this bond through his weapon form. The Entombed's weapon form gains the ghost touch property.

Telepathic Influence:
Description: An Entombed with this feat may use their ghostly spirit to interact with the world around them even while in weapon form. The Entombed gains Mage Hand as a spell like ability.

Greater Telepathic Bond:
Description: An Entombed with this feat is able to bond even more strongly with those who wield him. The Entombed may now grant those who wield it use of all combat feats the entombed knows.

Tornado Justice
2015-01-05, 09:11 PM
What about the hammers and axes? I bet they'll feel left out >:P

Seriously cool idea. Going to have to read this over again to come up with any real criticism though.

Fallenreality
2015-01-05, 09:48 PM
I figured they would probably be somewhere around greatsword xD If I covered every weapon type available then the race would be over 10 pages.

Almarck
2015-01-06, 01:25 AM
Needs rifle, pistol, and shotgun variants. This is pathfinder so guns may exist for extra awesomeness.
Similarly, we're missing spears, maces, clubs, maybe crossbows, flails, and axes.

While yes, I assume that it's unfeasible to cover every single weapon, having all of the bases is kinda a big deal.

I do however think this is a fun race. I've tried something similar, but as an option for the race I am working on that combines this with class features.

Fallenreality
2015-01-06, 02:08 AM
Ha ha, fair enough. By popular demand I'll try and come up with decent stat combinations for some of the more popular picks. There will be a lot of crossover however.

Any comments on the actual balance of the weapon form?

I will probably not do guns partially due to extra complications, and partially due to the lore. They are based on the ancient weapons this empire had, and guns are a very modern weapon by comparison.

Almarck
2015-01-06, 02:15 AM
Of course. such a shame. I like the idea of old civilizations being more advanced than the current gen.

Granted, it's not inconceivable that a high level Entombed might replicate the spell and "Reproduce" to spawn a "generation 2" to include guns. I mean, I am assuming that Entombed can reproduce, somehow, just so that they can at least replace themselves when they die from, what ever.

For the sake of organization, you might want to create a sublist or seperate the weapon choices from the rest of the racials.

Fallenreality
2015-01-06, 02:56 AM
Actually, reproduction isn't 100% necessary. They are similar to Warforged, who are created through a ritual. The main problem is that this ritual would require a taking an already living being and converting their soul into an Entombed. You would also need a sufficiently prepared place to put said soul.

Involving replicating guns. It should work using the exotic weapon form feat and turning either a bow or a crossbow into the gun form.

Edit:
I'm actually thinking of making the Entombed Regrowth feat a standard racial feature.

My original intention was that no, it's not easy for them to replace themselves. They get by solely by being difficult to kill. Part of the underlying thing that all of them share would be that they are all that is left. I'll try to update the original post to reflect that a bit more.

Edit Two:
Added that table into the actual weapon form ability along with a few more forms. Also made the regrowth a base class feature, seeing how that works out.

Almarck
2015-01-06, 11:04 AM
K, I guess that works. Guns and bows do have quite a bit in common.

Eh, not sure I like regrowth honestly.

Also, you need to change up the racials list above the rest of the text.

Oozy Polyhedron
2015-01-06, 12:12 PM
This is a very cool idea. The half-construct (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races#subtype-half-construct) subtype might work well for what you have in mind... though half-constructs can't be raised.

Fallenreality
2015-01-06, 12:43 PM
I looked at Half Construct. The Pathfinder race building stuff for constructs is just a bit lackluster. Living Construct is easy to use and works well.

Almarck
2015-01-06, 12:49 PM
Thing is, it does limit things abit. I find that Half-Constructs just... don't really reflect being machines. It's a problem that I've come up to when building a race of A.I.s. I mean, seriously, how does a /tank/ get sick from running over dead rats?

When the goal literally is to create a machine of some sort, the Half-Construct race does not do its job well. Granted, this has to do with the crazy numbers of immunities constructs get. I feel that, this issue is prevalent enough that there might just need to be Construct specific weaknesses or things that living creatures are subject to that constructs are not, like catching computer viruses instead of diseases, being subject to massive damage anytime someone uses transmutation to turn your metal body to wood.

Fallenreality
2015-01-06, 01:14 PM
See, that's what Living Construct does. It's a lot of the good stuff from Construct, but you do have weaknesses.

Almarck
2015-01-06, 01:17 PM
It sadly doesn't work well when the point is to have something distinctly not alive in the traditional sense. But I am not going to derail the thread further by discussing my project without your permission.

I think the reason Pathfinder does not use Living Construct as a type is because of legal reasons, I.E. Eberron not being covered via Open Game Licence, similarly why they have yet to make an Artificer class.

Had a stupid idea. Have you considered living armor as well?

Fallenreality
2015-01-06, 01:25 PM
I considered it, but decided to stick with living weapons for now. Living armor would lead to me designed a race that's basically a Synthesist summoner. xD