PDA

View Full Version : The undying Lich

Wolfepuppy
2015-01-05, 10:42 PM
Ok, so liches are very old right? So what do you do about their age category?

dantiesilva
2015-01-05, 10:45 PM
Every century or so I believe it is an undead character gets closer to the plane of negative energy, the first century it is only a 1% chance of success, however each century it grows larger and larger, and when they finally get that lucky number group they gain the evolved undead template. It can be found in Libris mortes for more information.

Then again their is also the Demilich, though they are known for not moving around a lot and well basically just sitting around studying magic and new ways to master it. Not drawing attention of heroes. Suffice to say any Demilich would at least have become an evolved undead at least 1 time. Hope this helps.

Red Fel
2015-01-05, 10:52 PM
If I recall, Undead don't age. That would similarly preclude advancing age categories (with the corresponding bonuses and penalties).

Yeah, in theory, a Lich can eventually become a Demilich, but if memory serves, that's a very specific path of evolution, not a general aging thing.

DrMotives
2015-01-05, 11:33 PM
They way I understood it was, unless you use Ravenloft rules (which have vampires, liches, mummies, and ghosts all go through an age category every century), you just age them as a living character of the same race. The differences being, they only gain mental stats and don't lose physical ones, and also they don't have anything special at the end-of-life point.

OldTrees1
2015-01-05, 11:41 PM
Age categories are for the living. The undead inherit the age category they had at the time of their transformation. From there Undead age in the Evolved Undead template way*

*Every 100 years there is an X% chance to gain the template(multiple times eventually).
X = # Centuries since the transformation/last Evolved Undead Template + # of previous Evolved Undead templates.

Example:
100: 1% (failed)
200: 2% (failed)
300: 3% (failed)
400: 4% (succeeded) <--rare but used for the example
500: 2% (1+1) (failed)
600: 3% (2+1) (failed)
700: 4% (3+1) (failed)
800: 5% (4+1) (succeeded) <--rare but used for the example
900: 3% (1+2) (failed)
???: 100% (1+99) (succeeded) <--every century from now on

Zanos
2015-01-05, 11:48 PM
I don't believe there's anything in RAW that states that undead do not age or do not have a maximum age.

SiuiS
2015-01-06, 12:05 AM
I don't believe there's anything in RAW that states that undead do not age or do not have a maximum age.

There is actually. Outsiders, undead and fey are called out as not dying of age. It's just not in the SRD as I can find.

Bronk
2015-01-06, 07:33 AM
There is actually. Outsiders, undead and fey are called out as not dying of age. It's just not in the SRD as I can find.

Oooh, do you happen to know where it says that the fey are immortal by default? I've been looking for something like that for ages.

atemu1234
2015-01-06, 07:41 AM
Oooh, do you happen to know where it says that the fey are immortal by default? I've been looking for something like that for ages.

I believe it's listed by the type stats in the Monster Manual; I believe that means it's also in the SRD.

Bronk
2015-01-06, 07:47 AM
Every century or so I believe it is an undead character gets closer to the plane of negative energy, the first century it is only a 1% chance of success, however each century it grows larger and larger, and when they finally get that lucky number group they gain the evolved undead template. It can be found in Libris mortes for more information.

It's in Libris Mortis page 99, under the 'evolved' template.

Then again their is also the Demilich, though they are known for not moving around a lot and well basically just sitting around studying magic and new ways to master it. Not drawing attention of heroes. Suffice to say any Demilich would at least have become an evolved undead at least 1 time. Hope this helps.

Demiliches are weird because they aren't really the original lich anymore, just an epic protection for the lich's body and lair while its soul is out cruising the planes.

Do you happen to know where it says that the fey are immortal by default? I've been looking for something like that for ages. Outsiders too... I was wondering how the Eladrin generations work (for the children of Androlynne plot hook).

SiuiS
2015-01-06, 11:59 AM

Not anymore. We checked around when out game got to that point – approximately five years ago.

I believe it's listed by the type stats in the Monster Manual; I believe that means it's also in the SRD.

I checked the type stats in the SRD before posting, because if it was that clear I could just quote. :P

It may be under aging or someodd instead. The dmg's table of contents leaves me very sad compared to the same from 1e, though. Not even a section on time and keeping it? Huh.