PDA

View Full Version : Ship Making

Raul Lećo
2015-01-06, 05:55 AM
Hello guys,

So, im planning on getting the leadership feat and make a cohort based on making magic itens and stuff, build a guild that sells adventure supplies such as armors, weapons, potions, have a little hospital maybe... And do some expeditions seeking treasures and monsters. Building a ship to travel seems a nice idea (or maybe selling them too). But what are the rules to make a ship? I would like a follower build to make ships if its possible, any ideas?

DeltaEmil
2015-01-06, 06:06 AM
For D&D 3.5, shipbuilding-rules appear in the supplemental book Stormwrack in Chapter 4 Skills and Feats.

Ships of Huge size are built with the normal crafting rules using the Craft (boatbuilding) skill. Any ship of Gargantuan or Colossal size must be built with a Knowledge (architecture and engineering) check, which uses its own rules that are somewhat different from normal crafting rules.

OttoVonBigby
2015-01-06, 07:05 AM
You just described the plot of Suikoden 4. The player has a mobile HQ in that game in the form of a giant ship that can eventually house all ~108 of his recruits (and has shops and stuff right on board). It might be worth Googling some images/maps of that ship for some ideas.

atemu1234
2015-01-06, 07:58 AM
You just described the plot of Suikoden 4. The player has a mobile HQ in that game in the form of a giant ship that can eventually house all ~108 of his recruits (and has shops and stuff right on board). It might be worth Googling some images/maps of that ship for some ideas.

Even then, each person only really needs a bunk and the ability to wander around, right? Maybe 100 square feet per person. 10,800 square feet would probably work well in a (I'd say...) boat that's roughly 3 levels, with 300x900 dimensions (that's roughly 60 x 180 combat squares). Maybe bonus room for you, so an extra what, 400 feet? Boost that estimate up a bit.

It may seem large (because it really kind of is) but considering the titanic was [arbitrarily large] and they didn't have access to magic, you should be fine.

Although you'd still need quite the large amount of food for that group, though.

Raul Lećo
2015-01-06, 08:11 AM
Im not planning on travel with all my followers, take te higher level ones to help in exploration and stuff, bring some of the level 1 guys as ship crew.... leave the rest with my cohort at the guild, working....